2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options

I know I have said it about 100 times in different threads, but I still want Patrick Peterson CB with that Oak pick.  It is a passing league and he is going to be a monster (barring injury)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

how would our defense look if we would take clayborne with oaklands pick and bruce carter with ours. then go after someone like evan royster in the 2nd rd and a legit big randy moss widout like deandre brown,  then grab a o lineman in the third round. man im excited about this draft so many options!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Liking this thread bigtime. Thanks MB and all who contribute.....Still waiting for ZB to weigh in with his SEC picks.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Peterson should win the Heisman. Depending on who picks first and their needs, he should be the first selection in the draft. If NE is there and he is still on the board, he is a total no-brainer.

I have never seen a CB carry a whole team before this season. He was elite enough last year, now he is other worldly. Zone, man, tackling, returning. He could start on any NFL team bar none, on day one. That said, barring something weird, I can't see how this kid slips out of the top-five. So the Raiders have to be terrible for Ne to get a crack at him. 

But McCourty, Bodden and Peterson would be the best DB crew to enter 2011 with. 

As far as grabbing an OLB type, I think barring some miraculous recovery, I could see Greg Romeus' stock being hurt to the point where BB might view him as a "value" selection. I think he has the type of intangibles (motor, leadership, intelligence) and certainly the metrics (6'6" 270) that BB looks for in an OLB convert.

Jeremy Beal is a DE who does stand occasionally. I think given his monster season so far, he could be working himself past his original fringe first/second rating. But again, has the metrics that place him in the target zone for what BB likes. He also has an elite first step.

I know people are clamoring for picks like Cameron Heyward, but he seems a little thin (and so do the other top END guys) for what I recognize as a BB type five tech. I think the rule of thumb here is that a BB END needs to be 300 + to be a three down kid. There really isn't a Richard Seymour type freak in this draft. On top of that, he hasn't exactly dominated the way people were hoping he would this season, at least not from a production standpoint.  

I'll say this, BB won't be picking a safety in this draft unless it is on day two. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Clayborne too, hasn't looked all that dominant. He looked better in the loss last season to the Buckeye's than he has all season. Almost like a step backward. Remember how well he performed against Arizona in 2009 ... think of how ineffectual he (the whole team) looked against a Zona team that racked up 34 points while committing like 11 or 12 penalties. 

He could come on late, like he did in 2009, but right now, I wouldn't want to spend a top pick on him, less if I am looking for a 5 tech in a BB style 34 who should ideally be taller than him. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options:
    [QUOTE]Peterson should win the Heisman. Depending on who picks first and their needs, he should be the first selection in the draft. If NE is there and he is still on the board, he is a total no-brainer. I have never seen a CB carry a whole team before this season. He was elite enough last year, now he is other worldly. Zone, man, tackling, returning. He could start on any NFL team bar none, on day one. That said, barring something weird, I can't see how this kid slips out of the top-five. So the Raiders have to be terrible for Ne to get a crack at him.  But McCourty, Bodden and Peterson would be the best DB crew to enter 2011 with.  As far as grabbing an OLB type, I think barring some miraculous recovery, I could see Greg Romeus' stock being hurt to the point where BB might view him as a "value" selection. I think he has the type of intangibles (motor, leadership, intelligence) and certainly the metrics (6'6" 270) that BB looks for in an OLB convert. Jeremy Beal is a DE who does stand occasionally. I think given his monster season so far, he could be working himself past his original fringe first/second rating. But again, has the metrics that place him in the target zone for what BB likes. He also has an elite first step. I know people are clamoring for picks like Cameron Heyward, but he seems a little thin (and so do the other top END guys) for what I recognize as a BB type five tech. I think the rule of thumb here is that a BB END needs to be 300 + to be a three down kid. There really isn't a Richard Seymour type freak in this draft. On top of that, he hasn't exactly dominated the way people were hoping he would this season, at least not from a production standpoint.   I'll say this, BB won't be picking a safety in this draft unless it is on day two. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

Beal slipping to our early 2nd rd pick , paired with Peterson w/ oakland's pick, trading up from our 1st rd pick w/ a 3rd & 4th to get Ingram and some O-line help with our other 2nd would be incredible

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

can anyone comment on the salary cap impact of having a #4 overall from oak, a #32 overall for ne (you guys like that?) and two second rounders?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]can anyone comment on the salary cap impact of having a #4 overall from oak, a #32 overall for ne (you guys like that?) and two second rounders?
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]

No. No one can accurately comment on that until that time when the CBA is ratified. 

I would imagine (conjecture) that a 32nd overall and second rounders would be little affected by the rookie payscale changes. #4 is directly in the target area of the negotiation. A number four selection in previous years would be worth much more than #32, #33, and #64 put together, for instance. It would likely be worth more than a reasonably well paid vet plus those selections. 

But without knowing the magnitude of the change in payscale for the top 15 or so players, and without knowing what the new cap structure will look like, or knowing if a new cap will be ratified at all, predicting what the "impact" on the cap will be is like throwing darts.

Simply put, no one here knows what the largest selection will be paid, nor if there will even be a cap at all. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from reamer. Show reamer's posts

I could have sworn I posted in this thread already, but ah well. I had linked to a couple threads from other Patriots message boards where we've been discussing the 2011 draft for months now.

It's good to see some of my fellow draft nuts back for this year. I always respect your opinions. :)

I will have to disagree with you, though, zbellino: I do think that there's a Seymour-type DE/DT in this draft, provided he declares. His name is Nick Fairley, and I've watched every single one of his games this year. He is absolutely dominant. I've never seen any college defensive tackle split double teams so easily before. He's incredibly quick, and uses overwhelming power on contact to dominate in both the run and the pass game. He leads his team in sacks and interceptions--as a defensive tackle! Incredible athletic for a 6'5, #315 man. Plus, he's already defeating consistent double teams, which would make his transition to a 34 easier, even though he'd have to learn to two-gap instead of penetrate.

I also like Jared Crick at 34 end this year, if he declares. Good player, great pass rusher.

Speaking of the pass rush, I'd love to add Aldon Smith (6'5 #260) to our team, provided that he, too, declares early. (What's with all the awesome underclassmen this year? Seriously?) He might be an even better fit for what we do than Robert Quinn (6'5 #265), whom I'm sure has been discussed ad nauseum already. They're my top two targets in the draft next year. I also like Akeem Ayers (6'4 #255) and Ryan Kerrigan (6'4 #265) a lot. Kerrigan is great against the run, and just plays relentless, physical football. Ayers is magnificent in coverage, is extremely versatile, and is improving as a pass rusher (he primarily plays OLB, but he's been playing DE in certain formations, and doing quite well). Lots of targets this year.

At running back, it looks like a good year for complimentary players. I like Kendall Hunter, Mikel LeShoure, Allen Bradford, Ryan Williams, and Roy Helu Jr as mid-late round options, but we'll see how they do for the rest of the year. Several of them may up their stock considerably, while others might slide right off the draft board. I realize that most people consider Ryan Williams a late first/early second rounder, but his ineffectiveness early in the season, and then his injury, should push him down a bit. I could see him available in the early third, depending on how things play out.

Chad Schofield might be my favorite center in the draft. I really like his mobility to get to the second level, his coordination and technique when run blocking, and his power absorbing a bull rush in pass pro. He's not very highly rated yet, but I could see him going in the fourth come draft time. Definitely a guy to monitor.

More to come. I'm barely warming up. :D

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

For Center,  I like the other Pouncey Brother. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options : I'd say it's a top 5 need at this point (DE/OLB/OL/RB/S in particular order), their lack of coverage safeties doesn't exactly give me confidence and has been exposed a bit early in the season.  Sanders isn't really cut out for that role, Meriweather hasn't performed up to expectation and Page is an unknown..
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

I agree with the safety, I think Chung will continue to progress and become sort of what Rodney was.  We need a reliable guy who can take over the other side.  Now there's a couple of guys who can progress through the season and who knows but would like to see one drafted.

How I have it ranked in need:
    OLB
    DE
    OT
    S
    OG/C

A safety I think to keep an eye on is Rahim Moore UCLA, 6'1" 198 not a big safety but a ball hawk (10 INTs in 09).  Great in the red zone and very good man to man or in zone.  He's a junior but thoughts are he'll declare, if he is not a late 1st round will be a 2nd rounder.  Pair him up with Chung and you can have a nice combination of a cover safety and an enforcer back there. 

I'll also throw this name out for mb, Tyler Sash 6'1" 212 Iowa.  Won't be the greatest safety but a diciplined, plays well in zones.  he's from Iowa so you know he'll be tough and well coached.  Upside could be a down side but a 3rd or 4th round could be a nice addition.

I trully believe if Merri keeps his bad play up he's gone.  He's had 4+ years in the system and how has he improved? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

as you guys know i love lookig at linemen for these mocks. I feel that we can never be good enough on both lines. Guys like Vollmer, wilfork, seymore are absolute game changers and i wouldn't mind seeing a few more here in NE. sadly the guy i was high on last year (Jared Veldheer) went to the raiders. he was their starting center for a little while. http://www.mercurynews.com/columns/ci_16026953?nclick_check=1

Nate Solder, OT, Colorado (even bigger than vollmer and has the same speed, could help replace matt light)

Height: 6-9. Weight: 305. Projection:1-2
    Projected 40 Time: 4.84.
    Projected Round (2010): 2-3.

4/3/10: A raw left tackle prospect who has tons of athleticism. Was an All-Big XII first-teamer.

Positives: Extremely athletic... Good agility... Good length and long arms... Excellent speed, quick feet... Good pass blocker... Flashes the ability to play with good knee bend... Good lateral movement and slide... Good run blocker... Carries his pads well... Solid strength... Can coil up and generate reasonably good power... Does a good job staying on his blocks... Uses his hands well... Can get to the second level... Good flexibility... Breaks down well and does a nice job blocking on the move... More of a wall-off blocker than a mover... Hard worker.

Negatives: Inconsistent knee bend... Footwork needs work... Rises too early in pass protection... Will occasionally lean and overextend... Gets beat by good inside moves... Will allow his technique and footwork to get sloppy... Gets too upright when run blocking... Not especially strong at POA... Needs to add some bulk and improve overall playing strength... Lacks a great anchor, can be walked back... Inconsistent balance... More of a project coming into the 2010 season... A little overrated by some, not among the top 40 yet.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Been checking out some mocks that are available already, the average pick for the Oakland pick is 7th.

There's one guy who I don't think could be passed and that's Quinn but he's a hands down top 5 pick unless something happens this season.

So it comes to who can the pats have if the pick is the 7th?

I think two guys if who I would be screaming for:
    Allen Bailey DE Miami 6'4" 290
    Cameron Heyward DE Ohio State 6'5" 288
    Either guy would take RDE spot while Brace if he continues to improve would be on the LDE.

Now at OLB/DE one guy who could be a 2nd round and be very productive is Cliff Matthews 6'4" 260 I want to see more out of him this year but he has experience dropping into coverage. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Jeremy Beal is an interesting prospect, but again, he seems a bit small for a 3-4 DE. ZB, do you think he can convert successfully to a 3-4 OLB? He seems to be roughly the same size as Cunningham, and almost optimal in terms of BB's prototype for the position.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]Jeremy Beal is an interesting prospect, but again, he seems a bit small for a 3-4 DE. ZB, do you think he can convert successfully to a 3-4 OLB? He seems to be roughly the same size as Cunningham, and almost optimal in terms of BB's prototype for the position.
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

He'll probably be in the conversation, I don't think the Oakland pick will be an OLB unless Quinn does this season what he's expected to and is available which I highly doudt he will be.  So a 34 DE with that pick and an OLB with a 2nd rounder.  I don't think the Pats will select 2 players in the 1st round specially if that second pick is 28 or higher.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Peterson should win the Heisman. Depending on who picks first and their needs, he should be the first selection in the draft. If NE is there and he is still on the board, he is a total no-brainer. I have never seen a CB carry a whole team before this season. He was elite enough last year, now he is other worldly. Zone, man, tackling, returning. He could start on any NFL team bar none, on day one. That said, barring something weird, I can't see how this kid slips out of the top-five. So the Raiders have to be terrible for Ne to get a crack at him.  But McCourty, Bodden and Peterson would be the best DB crew to enter 2011 with.  As far as grabbing an OLB type, I think barring some miraculous recovery, I could see Greg Romeus' stock being hurt to the point where BB might view him as a "value" selection. I think he has the type of intangibles (motor, leadership, intelligence) and certainly the metrics (6'6" 270) that BB looks for in an OLB convert. Jeremy Beal is a DE who does stand occasionally. I think given his monster season so far, he could be working himself past his original fringe first/second rating. But again, has the metrics that place him in the target zone for what BB likes. He also has an elite first step. I know people are clamoring for picks like Cameron Heyward, but he seems a little thin (and so do the other top END guys) for what I recognize as a BB type five tech. I think the rule of thumb here is that a BB END needs to be 300 + to be a three down kid. There really isn't a Richard Seymour type freak in this draft. On top of that, he hasn't exactly dominated the way people were hoping he would this season, at least not from a production standpoint.   I'll say this, BB won't be picking a safety in this draft unless it is on day two. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

zb,
    I agree with both you and Mord on this kid, if he's available at the Raiders pick, you gotta take him.  At this point, he might be the best player at any position in college football and could be the best combo of CB/PR I've seen since Charles Woodson; kid is a pure game changer on defense and special teams.  What you also get is a big CB (6-1 222) that can man up with the bigger WR's in the AFC East (Brandon Marshall, Braylon Edwards etc.) which I think is a huge plus. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Why are we having draft talk this early? If the Pats were 3-0 with a strong D and power running game would we really be having this conversation? It is a bit early to venture into draft escapism. No one can figure BB out on the draft and he is always trading picks back so what difference does this research make?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options : zb, I agree with both you and Mord on this kid, if he's available at the Raiders pick, you gotta take him.  At this point, he might be the best player at any position in college football and could be the best combo of CB/PR I've seen since Charles Woodson; kid is a pure game changer on defense and special teams.  What you also get is a big CB (6-1 222) that can man up with the bigger WR's in the AFC East (Brandon Marshall, Braylon Edwards etc.) which I think is a huge plus. 
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

1Sun, Sep 12th, 2010at Tennessee01:00 PMLP FieldL (38 - 13)
    2Sun, Sep 19th, 2010St._Louis04:05 PMOakland ColiseumW (16 - 14)
    3Sun, Sep 26th, 2010at Arizona04:15 PMUniversity of Phoenix StadiumL (24 - 23)
    4Sun, Oct 3rd, 2010Houston04:05 PMOakland ColiseumL
    5Sun, Oct 10th, 2010San_Diego04:15 PMOakland ColiseumL
    6Sun, Oct 17th, 2010at San_Francisco04:05 PMCandlestick ParkL
    7Sun, Oct 24th, 2010at Denver04:15 PMInvesco Field at Mile HighL
    8Sun, Oct 31st, 2010Seattle04:15 PMOakland ColiseumL
    9Sun, Nov 7th, 2010Kansas_City04:15 PMOakland ColiseumW
    10Bye
    11Sun, Nov 21st, 2010at Pittsburgh01:00 PMHeinz FieldL
    12Sun, Nov 28th, 2010Miami04:05 PMOakland Coliseum
    13Sun, Dec 5th, 2010at San_Diego04:05 PMQualcomm Stadium
    14Sun, Dec 12th, 2010at Jacksonville01:00 PMJacksonville Municipal StadiumW
    15Sun, Dec 19th, 2010Denver04:15 PMOakland ColiseumW
    16Sun, Dec 26th, 2010Indianapolis04:05 PMOakland Coliseum
    17Sun, Jan 2nd, 2011at Kansas_City01:00 PMArrowhead StadiumL

Too much credit? do they finish worse than 4-12?  I don't see it happening so I am hopping for a top 10 but mb and zb I can hear all the critics for taking a CB top 5 but how can you not?
    I agree with DM on one side and Peterson on the other that is a combo that could be all time great (COULD BE).  Both are physical and can stand up to the AFC WRs as mb mentioned.

now if Quinn is available and so is Peterson which do you take?  Based on BB comments why he drafted DM (4 down player) I would have to say the pick would still be Peterson. 

I don't think either will get to the Pats, right now there are 5 0-3 teams.  All 5 will probably won't win 6 games between all of them so IMO Raiders pick will be between 7 to 10.  That's DE or OT range, any Hybrid in that range?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]Why are we having draft talk this early? If the Pats were 3-0 with a strong D and power running game would we really be having this conversation? It is a bit early to venture into draft escapism. No one can figure BB out on the draft and he is always trading picks back so what difference does this research make?
    Posted by NYC[/QUOTE]

Early?  I think we are behind, this is what it is all about for some of us.  Enjoy this too much to wait until Feb and March

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

[QUOTE]how would our defense look if we would take clayborne with oaklands pick and bruce carter with ours. then go after someone like evan royster in the 2nd rd and a legit big randy moss widout like deandre brown,  then grab a o lineman in the third round. man im excited about this draft so many options!!!
    Posted by isurfvb35[/QUOTE]
    I don't buy Carter as a real fit for the Pats. He seems better suited for a 4-3 defense. Clayborne, IMO, is a bit undersized as well for the 3-4. He seems better to fit the Jarvis Green type role, but with Mike Wright and Myron Pryor playing the sub-rusher role that Green played, I don't see the need.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

[QUOTE]For Center,  I like the other Pouncey Brother. 
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon[/QUOTE]
    The Pats seem to like their OLinemen a bit quicker/faster than Pouncey. I don't think he's the one they'd be interested in. There are a number that are in the 6'3" 300 range who are much quicker/faster than Pouncey and would likely be more interesting for the Pats.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options : Early?  I think we are behind, this is what it is all about for some of us.  Enjoy this too much to wait until Feb and March
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]
    Definitely behind. I'm already looking at the 2013 draft. This is just around the corner.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

If Peterson and Quinn are both available when we (Oakland's pick) pick? 

No doubting Peterson is a game changer, but we have Bodden coming back next year, McCourty, Butler, etc....If we start Bodden and McCourty that is a decent combo with Butler playing the slot. If we drafted Peterson and he is really that good, that pushes Butler into the nickel / dime group, and Bodden or McCourty as our 3rd CB. Now, the 3 would be a nasty group of CB's for sure, but I think what this defense has really lacked is a dominant 3-4 DE and OLB. I like Brace and think he is coming along OK, Cunningham may be good, but that is where things drop off considerably..no quality depth at either position, and you could argue, neither one of these guys is a game changer at their position, at least not yet. 

So, if Quinn is available with Oakland's pick, I'm taking him. I'll pass on Peterson, but probably would invest one of our 2nd's in another CB, and move Wheatley and Wilhite out the door. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Kyle, I agree Pouncey is not the Koppen type center.  But with more 3-4 Ds we need a center that can handle the NTs that attack the middle of the line.  Koppen gets blown back by some of the better NTs.  Pouncey can protect against that.  He also adds the versitility that BB loves since he can play both C/OG.  I also think he might be avail for our 1st rd pick.
    On Peterson, yes I think we have invested heavily in DBs lately, but a talent like this is just too good to pass up if he is there.  CB is not like QB where u only need one barring injury.  This is a passing league and u can never have too many Cbs.  Add one with size, and super potential, hard to say no.  I talked about him since before last years draft.  We all see what Revis does for the Jets, I would like to have our own, bigger version.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Pats7393/PatLifer,

In regards to the "who do you take if both Quinn and Peterson are available" debate.  My feeling is (and this is assuming that come draft time, both are still considered top 5-10 talents) you go with Peterson and here's why.  Sure this team is in need of pass rush talent, but I'd be more prone to take a kid with shut down potential, a player that could essentially take away half the field on defense (a la Darrelle Revis), which would also benefit the pass rush, that to me provides the most value to a team.  Not to mention his ability to potentially impact the game on special teams (particularly in the return game), which plays into the "4 down player" label that McCourty received.

I also don't think having McCourty and Bodden moving forward should hold the team back from taking another CB, their goal should be to get the best player available.