2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK***

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK***:
    [QUOTE]I had some free time last night and decided to check out some lesser known DL men. One name I kept coming across over and over again is Muhammand Wilkerson DT/DE out of Temple. I haven't seen his name tossed around the board a lot and when looking at most reports he seems to be moving up into the 3rd range but this guy looks like that surprise guy the Pats grab every year and people go who the heck, they grabbed him where? I don't know but just watching tape on the guy he's very impressive. He has very solid technic and uses his strength and hands to great affect but still needs some work against elite talent. For a guy his size he has average spend but his agility is off the charts and managed to bat down 4 balls this past year. He also has a solid track from his freshman year through to this past year with enormous upside. I can actually see the Pats spending a mid 2nd or early pick on the kid and all the draft guru's going, why did they go after him this high? It makes no sense he's a 3-4 range player. Just someone to kept an eye out for with our pick in the 1st or when they trade back one of their picks in the middle 2nd area
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

PE,
    Good name, I've tried to research the kid a bit, but haven't been able to find any game tape on him.  Do you have any links?

I did see a field interview with him and he's a solid 6-5 305, didn't look to have too much fat on his bones.

Based on everything I've read, he looks to be a BB type, great size, scheme diverse, big motor.  He's definitely been added to my list of potential DE's.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Stanford vs. VT on espn, get a look at Stanford FB/LB Owen Marecic.  The kid has been starting on both sides of the ball and looks to be the tough, versatile, blue collar type "football players" that BB loves to draft.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : After watching this Pats offense produce the 7th highest scoring season in NFL history, I'm convinced that the need for a tall, deep threat vertical receiver is just a myth.  I'd rather take a shifty 5'10-6'0 tall guy with great lateral quickness and route-running ability.  A guy with the smarts to reads defenses before the snap and be in sync with Brady in terms of adjustments that need to be made.  Julio Jones, Michael Floyd, Blackmon and Hankerson are all very gifted and will make for good receivers at the next level, just maybe not in New England.   I'd look closer at Ryan Broyles and Titus Young.  Broyles is a pass catching machine - 118 receptions this season in a very pro-style offense at OU.  He's a threat over the middle, down the sideline and on a smoke screen.  He's a gamebreaker who's very good after the catch.  My only concern is the arrest back in '07 when he was a freshman(stole gas from a pump).  From what I've read, he's a good kid and just made some bad decisions early in his college career.  I think you put his locker next to Branch's and he'll be fine.   
    Posted by ShiningWizard[/QUOTE]
    Wizard and Mb,

The WR discussion is an interesting one.  Do we want another Branch or a tall vertical guy?  Let's face it, Moss helped us re-write the record books in 2007.  He'd still be a Patriot if he didn't throw all those tantrums and put himself ahead of team.  The choice to get rid of Moss and bring in Branch had little or nothing to do with wanting to change our passing style, it was to change players.  Brady's INTs usually came from throwing to Moss and him rounding off his routes or not becoming a defender if the pass wasn't right on, etc.  Personally, I'd rather get a tall vertical threat like a Julio Jones or Justin Blackmon just because we proved with Moss that the recipe works.  A player like Jones or Blackmon lined up opposite of Branch gives your offense a different look.  I'm not knocking Broyles either.  I think he would be a great pick and could take over as #1 for Branch in a year or two.

Above everything is we need character guys.  I did a little research for LowIQ the other day on top 15 WR busts.  Not sure if you guys saw it.  I only researched half the names because it was time consuming and I got bored.  However, it was interesting.  There were several WRs that put up massive numbers in college, were drafted in the top 15 and became busts.  A common theme for the busts were either injury or behavorial problems.  For the players who got in trouble in the Pros there was almost always a problem in college, a theft, a car chase, a DUI, suspension for breaking team rules, etc, but there was always something in their past. 

Today's suspension of Deaderick isn't surprising.  He was shot in college.  At the time the word was he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time but maybe there was more "wrong" with the place than just him being there.  People who are living right generally don't get shot.  I've lived less than a stellar life, made a few enemies but I've never been shot.  Heck, I've never had a knife or gun pulled on me in my 47+ years.  Look at Vick.  He had that birthday party where shots were fired after he left.  Who has parties where guns are present?  What kind of people do that?  I think this is a valuable lesson.  Let's not pick players who have little past problems especially in the first three rounds.  Now Hernandez was a 4th round pick but he was 2nd round worthy if not for the pot.  We can't risk a high pick on a talented high risk player.  A 4th rounder on Hernandez is an acceptable risk but none of us should be surprised if something later crops up with him as it has now with Deaderick. 

For me, AJ Green and Robert Quinn are off my board.  Not that they would make it to us at 17 anyway.  We need solid character guys. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

I don't know enough about Deadrick to know, but there was probably some degree of trauma associated with getting shot. PTSD might not have played a role in his self-destructive behavior, but self-destructive behavior is a common symptom of this not well understood disorder. You see it a lot with veterans who wreck their lives and sometimes end up homeless. Getting shot isn't necessarily a sign of bad character, and while it could be that he is of low character, there is another mis-understood factor that could be at least partially responsible. Getting suspended from the best team in football as a low level rookie doesn't seem rational even for a self-interested person of low character. Just throwing that out there.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : PE, Good name, I've tried to research the kid a bit, but haven't been able to find any game tape on him.  Do you have any links? I did see a field interview with him and he's a solid 6-5 305, didn't look to have too much fat on his bones. Based on everything I've read, he looks to be a BB type, great size, scheme diverse, big motor.  He's definitely been added to my list of potential DE's.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

Being a DT he doesn't really have a highlight reel you just have to watch Temple's game video's. In 08 and 09 he wears #96 and in 10 he wore #9

The biggest thing I've seen with him is that he commands double and sometimes triple teams and still pushes them back like Wilfork does. If you notice on most of the plays the runner needs to either jump outside from where he's pushing or the pocket tends to collapse on his side. I was actually amazed when I noticed he was taking on the center and a G most of the time and still pushing both of them back 2 or 3 yards. There were a number of times he didn't get the tackle but caused the QB to scramble or the RB to give up on a gap resulting in a blind side tackle. If the DL is suppose to take up blockers in our system having both Warrens, him, and Wilfork all deserving double team consideration it opens things up for or LB's to get in and rush the QB

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

a little humor for you draft nicks. This is an unbiased critique of the Mayo pick LOL http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glw0apLQ_6A

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]I don't know enough about Deadrick to know, but there was probably some degree of trauma associated with getting shot. PTSD might not have played a role in his self-destructive behavior, but self-destructive behavior is a common symptom of this not well understood disorder. You see it a lot with veterans who wreck their lives and sometimes end up homeless. Getting shot isn't necessarily a sign of bad character, and while it could be that he is of low character, there is another mis-understood factor that could be at least partially responsible. Getting suspended from the best team in football as a low level rookie doesn't seem rational even for a self-interested person of low character. Just throwing that out there.
    Posted by arodrambone[/QUOTE]
    I was among those that were calling for us to draft him in the 7th round.  He had great measurables almost as good as Suh.  The shooting incident seemed innocent enough at the time so I thought nothing about it other than the kid was tough and had heart to come back from that.  Reports are Deaderick has been late to practice a few times.  Right now that's an unconfirmed rumor but like you said, for a low level rookie 7th round draft pick to get suspended is troubling.  I'm just saying, we need to be careful.  If there are things in someone's past, we need to be very comfortable with what happened.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sydpat. Show sydpat's posts

MB and Faucet

Have posted something re Deaderick already but tell me we have no worries about our DL now please.

Deaderick, Brace gone, Wright ( long concussion), Pryor ,Warren has been carrying an injury. Who's left.....Love?

We are presently trying out four DL for positions.

Also makes it harder for the pass rush doesn't it. Not that our pass is super anyway.

Hope two weeks is enough to get them all ready.

If we play the Ravens we will need our best there.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]a little humor for you draft nicks. This is an unbiased critique of the Mayo pick LOL http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glw0apLQ_6A
    Posted by Philskiw[/QUOTE]

That's brilliant!
    LMAO

"Hey bellick, i hate New England and I hate yo guts, but you a hell of a muth@ fyck@ boy, you did it, you saved money AND..."

Don't know where they from but they know the Pats pretty good and funny as sh!t.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wittgt1. Show wittgt1's posts

we need another Tom Brady.  Patsruleat late draft thunder!

the movie

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CanadianPat. Show CanadianPat's posts

Yah, I like Cannon too. The scouting reports on him say he has the quickness to play RT ... that would allow the Pats to move Vollmer to LT.  I think if Cannon is there for our 33rd, he's the OL man to take.  The guy is an absolute GIANT!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CanadianPat. Show CanadianPat's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : One thing to consider is an expanded roster that would come with an 18 game schedule.  If teams go from 53 to 55 another WR given the age and injury history of Welker and Branch would make a ton of sense.  We really are in such a great position. We have no burning needs.  Unlike this year, I don't see 4-5 rookies starting next year.  We are drafting for depth and the future.  If we look at our upcoming free agents here are our questions/concerns.  Obviously Mankins and Light for 2010.  BJGE, Wendell and Arrington are restricted so they won't be going anywhere.  Page and G. Warren are also free agents.  I'm not worried about losing Taylor, Ojinnaka, Morris or White. For 2011 we have Meriweather, Crumpler, Branch, Sanders, Wilhite, Koppen, Slater, Ninkovich, LeVoir, Connolly, Guyton, Hoyer, Love, Neal and Welker with contracts running out.  Neal and Crump will likely hang them after 2011 or the moment they slide on that ring.  Hoyer and Love will be restricted.  Branch won't be worth the money and will be turning 33 before 2012.  Meriweather will expect a HUGE pay day and with each Pro Bowl his price goes up (not sure he's worth the hype).  My concerns are with Sanders, Nink, Connolly, Guyton and Welker.  As for Ayers, I only saw him once and I was likely too harsh on him so I will defer to you since you've seen him play more than me.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

Great point on the roster expansion to 55! Forgot about that.  So I definitely have to say a WR needs to be taken in 2011.  And I agree with another poster that a tall long ball threat is the type of WR the Pats need to look for.  Austin Pettis or Hankerson should be there at a reasonable price (i.e. late 3rd R).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sydpat. Show sydpat's posts

MB

What round do you think Owen Marecic goes in now? What a great motor he has ...on both sides of the ball........very unusual. Another good tip from you.

No 11 for Stanford was all over the field.......great game. Have you got some stuff on him.

Did you see the trick lineups from the Stanford OL .....effective.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Does anyone else on this board think that BB will trade Merriweather after this season? You know he's going to give Josh Barrett a long look at Safety and Chung,Sanders,Page are already manning the other open spots,for a team with supposedly a weak secondary they are depthwise very strong.It might be an opportunity to improve the team as a whole. What do you guys think is it a possibbility? Also what are the odds that Lorenzo Washington and Deaderick get a form of discipline on the same day one cut and one suspended,do we have a correlation between the two? Someone mentioned Broyles on this sight before and I'll tell you the kid caught everything thrown his way the other night. I also like Pettis he was Broncos best receiver and Kellen Moore will witness his abilities... Good draft for receivers unfortunately the Patriots are going to need O-linemen in this draft,so the kid from Colorado and the kid from BC might be the best of the lot,but don't count out the other Pouncey from Florida...I will again have to eat a little crow about Price as he has obviously been learning how to play WR at the pro level.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

[QUOTE]a little humor for you draft nicks. This is an unbiased critique of the Mayo pick LOL http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glw0apLQ_6A
    Posted by Philskiw[/QUOTE]

Priceless.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

http://www.gbnreport.com/2011projection.html

Here's a recent draft projection that shows 5 QB's going within the first 12 picks.  That's great news for us Pats fans who know that is one position we definetly won't need.  This Sophmore from Mizzou who declared, Gabbert, looks to be a top 5 pick.  And you know someone will grab Newton, Mallet, and Locker.

Maybe someone would want to trade for one of those QBs at #17 if one becomes available.  Just a hunch.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]MB What round do you think Owen Marecic goes in now? What a great motor he has ...on both sides of the ball........very unusual. Another good tip from you. No 11 for Stanford was all over the field.......great game. Have you got some stuff on him. Did you see the trick lineups from the Stanford OL .....effective.
    Posted by sydpat[/QUOTE]

syd,
    I see Marecic as a Rd 3-5 kid at this point.

Interesting you bring up Shayne Skov (#11 on Stanford) because I almost typed something about him prior to the game.  He's a 6-3 243 Sophmore LB and will be someone to keep an eye on next year.  I've seen him play 3 or 4 times and he impresses me each time.  Very active and aggressive, flies around the field, is always around the ball and plays with a lot of emotion, looks to be a leader of their defense.  He also looks like a potential 3 down backer as he appears to excel in coverage, shows some versatility to play inside and out and makes plays all over the field (5 passes defended, 7 sacks, 10 tackles for loss and 2 FF this year).

Another kid to keep an eye on is Stanford JR LB Chase Thomas #44 (6-4 239).  He looks to be out of the same mold and Skov and is also adept at making plays  with 2 INT, 11 TFL, 7 Sacks, 3 passes defended and 1 forced fumble on the season.

I really enjoy watching their defense as a whole as they just "get after it" and play sound football.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Bozo,

I don't know about trading Meriweather.  He keeps making Pro Bowls, how, I don't know.  I think nothing will happen until after a new CBA is reached.  The Pats will then start talking to their 2010 and 2011 free agents.  A new CBA needs to be reached before the start of free agency or there will be so much uncertainty, it will be tough for deals to get done.  Sure, the top players will get new contracts but guys like Meriweather whose deal doesn't expire until after 2011 will have to wait.  He is going to want big money and quite frankly, I don't think he's worth it.  So, moving him before the draft would make a ton of sense.  I'd take nothing less than a solid 2nd for him.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : Wizard and Mb, The WR discussion is an interesting one.  Do we want another Branch or a tall vertical guy?  Let's face it, Moss helped us re-write the record books in 2007.  He'd still be a Patriot if he didn't throw all those tantrums and put himself ahead of team.  The choice to get rid of Moss and bring in Branch had little or nothing to do with wanting to change our passing style, it was to change players.  Brady's INTs usually came from throwing to Moss and him rounding off his routes or not becoming a defender if the pass wasn't right on, etc.  Personally, I'd rather get a tall vertical threat like a Julio Jones or Justin Blackmon just because we proved with Moss that the recipe works.  A player like Jones or Blackmon lined up opposite of Branch gives your offense a different look.  I'm not knocking Broyles either.  I think he would be a great pick and could take over as #1 for Branch in a year or two. Above everything is we need character guys.  I did a little research for LowIQ the other day on top 15 WR busts.  Not sure if you guys saw it.  I only researched half the names because it was time consuming and I got bored.  However, it was interesting.  There were several WRs that put up massive numbers in college, were drafted in the top 15 and became busts.  A common theme for the busts were either injury or behavorial problems.  For the players who got in trouble in the Pros there was almost always a problem in college, a theft, a car chase, a DUI, suspension for breaking team rules, etc, but there was always something in their past.  Today's suspension of Deaderick isn't surprising.  He was shot in college.  At the time the word was he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time but maybe there was more "wrong" with the place than just him being there.  People who are living right generally don't get shot.  I've lived less than a stellar life, made a few enemies but I've never been shot.  Heck, I've never had a knife or gun pulled on me in my 47+ years.  Look at Vick.  He had that birthday party where shots were fired after he left.  Who has parties where guns are present?  What kind of people do that?  I think this is a valuable lesson.  Let's not pick players who have little past problems especially in the first three rounds.  Now Hernandez was a 4th round pick but he was 2nd round worthy if not for the pot.  We can't risk a high pick on a talented high risk player.  A 4th rounder on Hernandez is an acceptable risk but none of us should be surprised if something later crops up with him as it has now with Deaderick.  For me, AJ Green and Robert Quinn are off my board.  Not that they would make it to us at 17 anyway.  We need solid character guys. 
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

Faucet,
    Agreed.  My belief is that they prefer to utilize a more consistent/efficient ball control passing offense (their success with it --multiple championships-- seems to back that up) that is predicated on short and intermediate passes (while mixing in some deep balls) that allow their quick agile receivers get open, catch the football and pick up YAC.  This leads them to draft personnel that possess the skill set to fit this scheme. 

It's clear, atleast IMO, that BB is much more comfortable and efficient executing this type of game plan.

With that being said, I'd be all over a kid like Julio as I think he'd be an asset in the short/intermediate game (though prob not as quick as they'd prefer), but also has big play potential.  He also has a lot of RAC ability, is an asset in the redzone, will work the middle of the field and will give great effort as a blocker which would allow them to run most of their offensive packages vs. Randy Moss who loved to go deep outside the hashes or maybe run a deep post to the middle of the field and that's about it. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Miami CB Brandon Harris has declared for the 2011 draft.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

i was just about to post that. great news. he'd be a great selection at #17 but if he's not there then that likely will mean there are QBs available that a team may trade up for or one of the DLinemen.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : syd, I see Marecic as a Rd 3-5 kid at this point. Interesting you bring up Shayne Skov (#11 on Stanford) because I almost typed something about him prior to the game.  He's a 6-3 243 Sophmore LB and will be someone to keep an eye on next year.  I've seen him play 3 or 4 times and he impresses me each time.  Very active and aggressive, flies around the field, is always around the ball and plays with a lot of emotion, looks to be a leader of their defense.  He also looks like a potential 3 down backer as he appears to excel in coverage, shows some versatility to play inside and out and makes plays all over the field (5 passes defended, 7 sacks, 10 tackles for loss and 2 FF this year). Another kid to keep an eye on is Stanford JR LB Chase Thomas #44 (6-4 239) .   He looks to be out of the same mold and Skov and is also adept at making plays  with 2 INT, 11 TFL, 7 Sacks, 3 passes defended and 1 forced fumble on the season. I really enjoy watching their defense as a whole as they just "get after it" and play sound football.

Almost sounds like you are describing Herzlick before the cancer.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : Almost sounds like you are describing Herzlick before the cancer.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]

I think Herzlich is an option for NE, assuming they're comfortable with his progress from cancer recovery as he's everything they value in a player.  It takes players a while to get their body back from cancer, see John Lester from the Red Sox.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheCommittee. Show TheCommittee's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : I think Herzlich is an option for NE, assuming they're comfortable with his progress from cancer recovery as he's everything they value in a player.  It takes players a while to get their body back from cancer, see John Lester from the Red Sox.
    Indeed. When I would watch Herzlich play throughout the year, he never looked like he was lost (i.e. he knew his assignments, and he always knew where the football was). He is simply an instinctive player, which I'm sure Belichick has to love.

The biggest issue I noticed with Herzlich this year was that he was much slower than he was pre-cancer, but that is to be expected. I would hope (and probably presume) that his loss of speed can be corrected with more time on the playing field - he simply needs more time to regain the fitness/muscle mass that he had before his cancer (I've had family members with cancer, and believe me, the cancer itslef along with the chemo takes a LOT out of a person). To me, it's a miracle that he's even on the field at all.

As a side note, Herzlich played more than half the season with a cast on his left hand. No character concerns with this guy. I'd have no problem with Belichick taking him in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Sections
Shortcuts