2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK***

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK***:
    Miami CB Brandon Harris has declared for the 2011 draft.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

YES!...he is my pick at #17 if Jordan is not there.

Where do you see him going in round 1?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2011-nfl-draft-underclassmen-status

2011 NFL Draft Underclassmen Status

Check back each day for more updates on the status of all the underclassmen as they decide whether to declare for the 2011 NFL Draft.

Updated January 4th, 2011

Quarterbacks

Blaine Gabbert, Missouri (Declared for NFL Draft)

Running Backs

Shane Vereen, Cal (Declared for NFL Draft)
    Jordan Todman, UConn (Declared for NFL Draft)
    Mark Ingram, Alabama (Expected to Declare)
    LaMichael James, Oregon (Will remain at school)

Wide Receivers

Vidal Hazelton, Cincinnati (Declared for NFL Draft)
    Torrey Smith, Maryland (Declared for NFL Draft)
    Tandon Doss, Indiana (Declared for NFL Draft)
    Tori Gurley, South Carolina (Declared for NFL Draft)
    Deandre Brown, Southern Miss (Declared for NFL Draft)
    Julio Jones, Alabama (Expected to Declare)
    Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma State (Expected to Declare)
    AJ Green, Georgia (Expected to Declare)
    Jonathan Baldwin, Pitt (Expected to Declare)
    Jarmon Fortson, North Alabama (Expected to Declare)
    Marquis Maze, Alabama (Expected to Declare)

Tight Ends

Kyle Rudolph, Notre Dame (Expected to Declare)

Offensive Linemen

Tyron Smith, USC (Declared for NFL Draft)
    Mike Brewster, OSU (Expected to Declare)
    Matt Reynolds, BYU (Expected to Remain at School)

Defensive Linemen

Muhammad Wilkerson, Temple (Declared for NFL Draft)
    Jerrell Powe, Ole Miss (Declared for NFL Draft)
    Jurrell Casey, USC (Declared for NFL Draft)
    Corey Liguet, Illinois (Expected to Declare)
    JJ Watt, Wisconsin (Expected to Declare)
    Aldon Smith, Missouri (Expected to Declare)
    Robert Quinn, UNC (Expected to Declare)

Linebackers

Akeem Ayers, UCLA (Declared for NFL Draft)

Defensive Backs
    Aaron Williams, Texas (Declared for NFL Draft)
    Brandon Harris, Miami (Expected to Declare)
    Janoris Jenkins, Florida (Expected to Declare)
    Brandon Burton, Utah (Expected to Declare)
    Kenny Tate, Maryland (Expected to Declare)
    Janoris Jenkins, Florida (Expected to Declare)
    Alfonzo Dennard, Nebraska (Will Remain at School)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : YES!...he is my pick at #17 if Jordan is not there. Where do you see him going in round 1?
    Posted by PatsLifer

I think he's a 1st round kid at this point, with his ceiling being top 15.  My guess is he'll go somewhere between say 15 and 32.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

My under the radar prospect for tonight's Arkansas vs. Ohio State game is:

Dane Sanzenbacher #12, the 5-10 182 WR for Ohio State and a team captain.  He's quicker than fast with good hands and some big play ability (16.5 ypc on 88 catches) to go along with 16 TD's over the past two years including 52-889-10 this year.  He's probably a late round/URFA type.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

My under the radar prospect for tonight's Arkansas vs. Ohio State game is: Dane Sanzenbacher #12, the 5-10 182 WR for Ohio State and a team captain.  He's quicker than fast with good hands and some big play ability (16.5 ypc on 88 catches) to go along with 16 TD's over the past two years including 52-889-10 this year.  He's probably a late round/URFA type.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

He just made a great catch for a touchdown

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : He just made a great catch for a touchdown
    Posted by sfpat

Yessir, looked to make a nice play coming back for an underthrown ball.  I think he's strictly a slot guy at the NFL level, but has looked pretty good in the 1st half with 3-59-1.  He's also made a nice alert play following a fumbled balla nd falling on it for another TD and appeared to give a decent overall effort as a blocker, though it's prob not an area of strength.  One of the broadcasters mentioned that he was voted team's MVP.

Cameron Heyward has looked pretty good in the 2nd quarter as well, getting a good jump off the snap, splitting the double team, showing some awareness to run plays and putting pressure on Mallet.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Heyward from Ohio State looks like an absolute beast. Just watching him in the first half vs. Arkansas and seeing him stuff plays in the backfield. He's a big DE who can play the run and rush the passer. Shaking double teams. If we could score this guy, he could help our pass rushing issues.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Heyward from Ohio State looks like an absolute beast. Just watching him in the first half vs. Arkansas and seeing him stuff plays in the backfield. He's a big DE who can play the run and rush the passer. Shaking double teams. If we could score this guy, he could help our pass rushing issues.
    Posted by TheGuyWithDaThing

heyward's stock just went up. mallet's probably down.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Good for Heyward. He'd have been a top 15 pick last year and seemingly lost a lot of value. He should be a decent pick at 32 or 33.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Soder or Costanzo? Camini? Pouncey? All of these guys have to be on the Patriots radar as that's their most pressing need. Though I was impressed with Heyward in the first half and I really like J.J. Watts play overall. It should be an interesting draft.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOD. Show FOD's posts

Does anyone have any idea what happened with Brandon Deaderick.  He was placed on the reserve/suspended list.  I know he has'nt played the last three games but he has been active most of the year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOD. Show FOD's posts

Sorry, I just read Faucet's post about Deaderick.  What a shame!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

mallett (if he comes out  will be a top 10 pick...his recivers let the team down big time...Why would his stock drop??

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

Has anyone seen Aldon Smith play this year...his measurables are great..6"5, 260 (if accurate) and is said to be coming out. I've seen him in one mock going to the Pats in the first round.

Faucet/MB...have you watched any film on this guy?

mallett (if he comes out  will be a top 10 pick...his recivers let the team down big time...Why would his stock drop??
    Posted by fishers5

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Has anyone seen Aldon Smith play this year...his measurables are great..6"5, 260 (if accurate) and is said to be coming out. I've seen him in one mock going to the Pats in the first round. Faucet/MB...have you watched any film on this guy? In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** :
    Posted by mcboyd22

Saw him play a few times and I've been very high on this kid.  If does come out he's a very good option at OLB.  I've been mocking him to the Pats with the 32 pick but might because of his abilities he might workout himself into the top 20 or low 20s.  He's a beast.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Miami CB Brandon Harris has declared for the 2011 draft.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

You know how I feel about the kid, I would not mind at all the oak pick used on Harris but I'm more and more thinking Watt will fall into our lap. 

I still would like a Brandon drafted but the kid from Utah instead in the 2nd.  I think we need an upgrade at CB, have 4 guys who can play out with all except for Bodden also having the ability to come into the slot.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

heyward, rolle, and sanzenbacher looked great for the OSU

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : Faucet, Agreed.  My belief is that they prefer to utilize a more consistent/efficient ball control passing offense (their success with it --multiple championships-- seems to back that up) that is predicated on short and intermediate passes (while mixing in some deep balls) that allow their quick agile receivers get open, catch the football and pick up YAC.  This leads them to draft personnel that possess the skill set to fit this scheme.  It's clear, atleast IMO, that BB is much more comfortable and efficient executing this type of game plan. With that being said, I'd be all over a kid like Julio as I think he'd be an asset in the short/intermediate game (though prob not as quick as they'd prefer), but also has big play potential.  He also has a lot of RAC ability, is an asset in the redzone, will work the middle of the field and will give great effort as a blocker which would allow them to run most of their offensive packages vs. Randy Moss who loved to go deep outside the hashes or maybe run a deep post to the middle of the field and that's about it. 
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

The short and intermediate stuff has been a hallmark of Brady's.  They call Moss "Superfreak" for a reason.  There are few, if any WRs, like him.  Green and Jones probably come as close in terms of height/speed as we've seen in awhile.  I believe both guys run in the 4.4s.  Blackmon is more like a Larry Fitzgerald although not as tall.  He's a strong, physical receiver.  Jones can be as well.  In any event, I doubt BB will take a WR with any of his first three picks.  There is too much talent to be found at 64 and later.  He doesn't like to spend high draft picks on offensive players that might touch the ball 5 times a game.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I figured there'd be a lot of talk about Heyward today.  Yes, he had a monster game.  Where has that been all year?  He played like a man possessed, obviously aware that his draft status would be influenced a ton by this game.  I seem to recall watching Ohio State early in the year and Heyward got hurt and limped off the field.  I forgot now which game it was but it could be he was playing with the injury all year and now that he's had a month to recover, he's back to himself. 

Hey, this is great news for us because now we should consider him an option to go along with Fairley, Dareus, Jordan, and Watt.  I bet we take one of these guys with our first pick.  Let's face it Fairley and Dareus will be gone.  Jordan and Heyward are still a little undersized for a 34 DE and I'm not sure either has the frame to get over 300 lbs.  I believe Watt is already at 300 just based on looking at him so he remains my top pick as best fit.  If we don't make a play at 17 for a DE, I would be pretty comfortable with Ballard at 32/33 or perhaps with a slight trade down.  At 6-4, 298, he's already there size-wise.  Crick is another guy I'd target in the 32/33 range.  Clearly we need a playmaker at DE and Deaderick is probably not the answer if he can't get his act together.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : I think Herzlich is an option for NE, assuming they're comfortable with his progress from cancer recovery as he's everything they value in a player.  It takes players a while to get their body back from cancer, see John Lester from the Red Sox.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

Absolutely agree and would love to see the pick if he checks out.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

Heyward is 6'5" 288 lbs how is that too small? sure he could put on a little weight but undersized i think not.  He definiately has the frame to get bigger.  Watt is still my guy!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : You know how I feel about the kid, I would not mind at all the oak pick used on Harris but I'm more and more thinking Watt will fall into our lap.  I still would like a Brandon drafted but the kid from Utah instead in the 2nd.  I think we need an upgrade at CB, have 4 guys who can play out with all except for Bodden also having the ability to come into the slot.
    Posted by Pats7393

I'm with you on Watt.  I just have a feeling he'll be a Patriot.  Remember, Kraft went to a Wisconsin game.  Last year he went to a Florida game and we ended up drafting 3 Gators.  Of course there are others to look at on the Wisconsin roster.  Heck, we could draft 3 of them and I would be happy.  Take your pick, Watt, Carimi, Moffett and Clay; Hendricks too if you consider Crumpler maybe has a year left. 

Shame about Chekwa.  I don't think we want another broken wrist CB (Wheatley).  My preference would be to hold off on CB.  I think we have bigger needs at DE, OLB and OT.  OG is a position we can address at or after 64.  Bodden is coming back and Arrington isn't half bad and will be restricted.  To spend another high pick at CB just doesn't seem like the smart play. 

If we are going to draft another DB, safety would seem a better idea.  Bodden is signed through 2013 and McCourty through 2014.  Butler, who is showing some signs of life, is signed through 2012.  Look at Safety.  Both Meriweather and Sanders will become free agents after 2011.  Meriweather is going to want HUGE bucks and I don't see us giving it to him.  Page is a free agent after this season.  McGowen is also a free agent and I doubt he'll be back.  We could be left with only Chung who is signed through 2012 unless you want to count Sergio Brown?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Heyward is 6'5" 288 lbs how is that too small? sure he could put on a little weight but undersized i think not.  He definiately has the frame to get bigger.  Watt is still my guy!
    Posted by natesubs

Heyward looked good, brushed off two players and made a takle in the backfield last night...kid looked good...

His Dad was a beast, IRONHEAD. Passed away few years ago...

Not sure of the kids mental makeup...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Posted by natesubs

Undersized relative to BB's weight preference along the DL, especially with premium picks.  He generally prefers players to be 300 or above.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

List of lesser known players I'm keeping my eye on that my turn some heads. I see promise in these guys and could envision BB taking a long look at a couple of them

DL:

Sione Fua - Stanford
    Muhhamnd Wilkerson - Temple
    Kendick Ellis - Hampton
    Lawrence Marsh - Florida
    Cedric Thorton - Central Arkansas

LB:

Steven Friday - Virginia Tech
    Kenny Rowe - Oregon

S:

Jeron Johnson - Boise
    Shiloh Keo - Idaho

CB:

Jalil Brown - Colorado
    DeMarcus Van Dy_ke - Miami (Harris gets the attention but Dy_ke was part of the best CB duo in college) btw the board won't let me post his name seriously?

RB:

Baron Batch - Texas Tech
    Via Taua - Nevada
    Mario Fannin - Auburn

OL:

Clint Boling - Georgia
    Will Rackley - Lehigh
    Bryant Browning - Ohio State
    Jason Pinkston - Pitt
    Lee Ziemba - Auburn
    Dan Wenger - Notre Dame

Sections