2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK***

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK***:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : Well yes, but they missed out on Michael Oher and Clay Matthews.  We were originally at 23 where Oher was taken, then moved to 26 where Matthews was taken.  I'm not so concerned about Oher but we could of had an All World OLB.  From 26 we moved to 34 where we took Chung and also got 41 where we took Butler.  Matthews for Chung and Butler?  I think I'd rather have Matthews. 
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

Faucet when we traded back from Matthews the final trade ended up being

Matthews or Gronk, Butler, Tate, and Edelman

Matthews might have been an all-pro but I'd take that cheap quality depth and a rare find in a all around pro-bowl type of TE over a single OLB any day regardless of who the OLB is.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

I'm hoping the Pats trade down with all 3 of the first picks. With the probable expansion to 18 games and bigger rosters, depth, as it is this year, will be even more important. So I'd much rather have the third or fourth best player at a particular position, (at an affordable price), with extra future picks. How boring would the draft be if the Pats only have one pick per round. Plus it'll be nice to accumulate options to acquire Brady's replacement in the distant future.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : --------- I am more of an Akeem Ayers Guy.  Dont get me wrong, Kerrigan is a beast, but Ayers could step in right now and play vs converting to a OLB.  Ayers had 4ints in 2009 (2 returned for TD's), and 2 this past season against better QB's in college.  Kerrigan is the better passrusher, but Ayers a better overall OLB (and faster).  With Ayers, the Pats could be a lot more flexible in its LB blitzes. last year, you busted on me about Mike Williams, how is that working out?  kidding, I didnt know he would be even this good, just knew he was 2nd best WR out last year.
    Posted by gln826[/QUOTE]

As far as Mike Williams goes, I don't remember trashing his talent, I remember trashing his character as he quit on Syracuse.  I said I wouldn't even have him on my draft board and my opinion on that stance hasn't changed.  I like character players.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from gln826. Show gln826's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : As far as Mike Williams goes, I don't remember trashing his talent, I remember trashing his character as he quit on Syracuse.  I said I wouldn't even have him on my draft board and my opinion on that stance hasn't changed.  I like character players.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

thats why i said kidding.  You did say you would never draft him because he quit on his team.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]Well yes, but they missed out on Michael Oher and Clay Matthews.  We were originally at 23 where Oher was taken, then moved to 26 where Matthews was taken.  I'm not so concerned about Oher but we could of had an All World OLB.  From 26 we moved to 34 where we took Chung and also got 41 where we took Butler.  Matthews for Chung and Butler?  I think I'd rather have Matthews.  -------- Sorry to say this, it isnt that simple.  The Pats got: Butler, Tate, Edelman, and Gronkowski for trading the Matthews pick away.
    Posted by gln826[/QUOTE]
    I assume you are referring to the below story in red.  I'm not sure I agree 100% with the whole premise but I do agree it's complicated.  Part of that deal was trading the Ravens 162 and their own 2010 6th to get those players mentioned.  I was talking only about staying at 26 and taking Matthews vs. moving on for the rest of the moves they made.  You're right, Chung was our pick from the Cassel/Vrabel trade, so he isn't part of the discussion.  The actual pick we made first instead of Matthews was Butler.  So if we are truly comparing from where we were at 26 to what we ended up with we could of had, Two time Pro Bowler OLB Clay Matthews, 2009 pick 162 (OT Jamon Meredith who hasn't done anything yet), and 2010 6th (LB Travis Goethel who played in 9 games for the Raiders and is a special teams contributor) OR Butler (bust so far), Edelman (decent punt returner and back-up slot WR), Tate (decent kick off returner, weak #3 WR) and Gronkowski, the only solid pick of the bunch.  I don't know if I wouldn't take the first option, an absolute beast of an OLB (our biggest need) and a decent special teams player who adds depth at LB and a developmental OT/OG who we are good at developing or a bottom of depth chart CB, a pair of 2nd shelf receivers and returners and a really good young TE.  It's a toss up at best, IMO.

2009 DRAFT

Patriots trade their No. 23 pick to Ravens for Baltimore's first-rounder
    (No. 26) and fifth-rounder (162).
    Patriots trade two picks obtained from Ravens to Packers for
    second-rounder and two third-rounders. Packers select Matthews and
    T James Meredith; Patriots get DB Darius Butler, DB Derek Cox, and
    WR Brandon Tate.  Patriots trade Cox to Jaguars for seventh-rounder
    and a 2010 second-rounder. Patriots take WR Julian Edelman with
    seventh-rounder.

2010 DRAFT
    Patriots ship second-round pick (from Jaguars) and their sixth-rounder
    to Raiders to move up in second round to take TE Rob Gronkowski.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

With all of our options, (and granted, I'm pretty conservative), I don't know if I would try to bend the rules...what if somehow we lose one of the picks...

The Patriots are not well thought of outside of their fanbase and "bending" the rules could bring up more history on spygate, Belichick doing what he wants, etc.

I really think we end up trading down from 17, then trading down again from 32, without trying to do anything crazier than stockpile picks and get the guys Bill has targeted.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : thats why i said kidding.  You did say you would never draft him because he quit on his team.
    Posted by gln826[/QUOTE]

No doubt that the kid has had a big impact on the TB offense though.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

I don't see BB trading either of the 17th or the 32nd (assuming) out of the first round. You may see him trade down from say the 17th to the 25th with another late rounder to boot, but he will use his both 1st rounders. This has been several years in the making.

Don't think that BB made the Seymour deal without knowing he was a lock for a top 20 pick. In fact, I bet he figured it would actually have been higher, which it would have if the Raiders didn't win a few lucky games. That pick could have easily been a top 12.

The Pats, regardless of how they are playing right now, have some real needs. They need some depth on the O line, and a pass rusher. BB will take the best available at those positions and then look to add some secondary help in the later rounds.

Thats just my take.

And I REALLY hope we end up with JJ Watt. I know several on this thread said he was a bust in the Rose Bowl, but he had a tipped pass and had almost tipped TCU's first TD. He didn't have his best game, but I watched Wisconsin all year and the guy can flat out play. He's big, fast, agile, and BB's most importantly quality, he's smart.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RWF. Show RWF's posts

MB

Quick question, not knowing exactly what info you have access to.

Do you have info about a guy's smarts?  Coach B always takes guys with good Wonderlick scores, even over guys with better athletic stuff. 

Thx in advance.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]MB Quick question, not knowing exactly what info you have access to. Do you have info about a guy's smarts?  Coach B always takes guys with good Wonderlick scores, even over guys with better athletic stuff.  Thx in advance.
    Posted by RWF[/QUOTE]

RWF,

I research a ton of players, during said research, I generally find out a lot about how a player conducts himself off the field (i.e. school/football intelligence, how they are as a student, film/weight room habits, character etc.).  Wonderlic scores can be tough as generally, they aren't supposed to be make public, but are often leaked.  You are correct that BB has historically targeted smart players that can absorb, understand and execute his assignments quickly with minimal mistakes or repeating of mistakes.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

The past few years BB has frustrated me by constantly trading down. After following this post I see what he is doing. One poster talked about a grouping of players that was really helpful. Now I wonder , is it worth trading down this year? There probably wont be a lot of picks to make the team in the next few years and those that do will most likely be backups. This year i would love to package some picks and get one or two studs at positions of need.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]I don't see BB trading either of the 17th or the 32nd (assuming) out of the first round. You may see him trade down from say the 17th to the 25th with another late rounder to boot, but he will use his both 1st rounders. This has been several years in the making. Don't think that BB made the Seymour deal without knowing he was a lock for a top 20 pick. In fact, I bet he figured it would actually have been higher, which it would have if the Raiders didn't win a few lucky games. That pick could have easily been a top 12. The Pats, regardless of how they are playing right now, have some real needs. They need some depth on the O line, and a pass rusher. BB will take the best available at those positions and then look to add some secondary help in the later rounds. Thats just my take. And I REALLY hope we end up with JJ Watt. I know several on this thread said he was a bust in the Rose Bowl, but he had a tipped pass and had almost tipped TCU's first TD. He didn't have his best game, but I watched Wisconsin all year and the guy can flat out play. He's big, fast, agile, and BB's most importantly quality, he's smart.
    Posted by 4Adam13[/QUOTE]
    We are in total agreement on Watt.  Smart, tough, very athletic, solid character, team player and above all, baring injury, he will be a star at the next level.

If Watt is there at 17, I don't even think about trading down hoping to land him at 25. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

No surprises here but good news!!

The Alabama Crimson Tide will be without three of its best players for the 2011 season as Mark Ingram, Julio Jones, and Marcell Dareus declared for the NFL Draft at a press conference on Friday afternoon.

It was widely reported over the last few days that Ingram and Dareus would announce their intentions of declaring for the 2011 draft at the Friday press conference and that it was likely that Julio Jones would do the same. All three of these players are juniors and would have made huge impacts on next year’s team if they decided to return to school.

You can’t blame any of them. They all received first round grades from the NFL’s Draft Advisory Committee and all the draft experts are projecting each to be first round choices in April.

”I’m fully endorsing each of these guys in terms of the decisions they’ve made,” Alabama coach Nick Saban said.

At the same press conference, Dont’a Hightower announced his intention of returning to Tuscaloosa next season. Hightower’s decision is a wide choice and he likely didn’t receive a very high grade from the committee and that is what swung his decision toward returning for what would be his junior season on the football field.

Ever since Julio made his debut against Clemson, he's been the Tide's top receiver.

Nick Saban said, “We still have guys who are making decisions.” The guys that Nick Saban is referring too are DB Mark Barron and WR Marquis Maze. They have until January 15th to announce their intentions.

Mark Barron’s torn pectoral muscle could sway him into returning for his senior season at the Capstone and I don’t see any reason why Marquis Maze would declare early for the draft. With Julio Jones headed to the NFL, Maze is likely to play an even bigger role with the Alabama offense in 2011 with a great shot at boosting his draft stock.

It would be an awful decision on Maze’s part if he decided to forgo his senior season in Tuscaloosa. He’s not likely to be a very high draft pick, but it certainly wouldn’t be the first time someone has made a decision like that.

The three guys that are leaving will not be easily replaced. Obviously, with Mark Ingram departing, Trent Richardson will get his chance to shine as the feature back for Alabama next season along with guys like Eddie Lacy and Demetrius Goode seeing increased playing time. Also, the Tide is looking at a number of running backs in the 2011 recruiting class like Demetrius Hart and Isaiah Crowell.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : We are in total agreement on Watt.  Smart, tough, very athletic, solid character, team player and above all, baring injury, he will be a star at the next level. If Watt is there at 17, I don't even think about trading down hoping to land him at 25. 

Faucet, you are to "fixated" on this one player.  There are many options with first pick for Pats and several defensive players are as likely or more to be selected by BB.  Here are some names for you, which you well know, yet ignore in your posts!  The Mighty Quinn, Camerons - Jordan and Heywood, Daereus of Bama, Kerrigan of Purdue, Austin of NC - enough for starters.  Don't have a miopic fixaation on this one guy - he looked small in his prime bowl moment, as you know.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

aldon smith ... Aldon Smith ... ALDON SMITH!!!!!!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjaycee. Show jjaycee's posts

What happened to the " new mock Draft" with Kerirgan, #1, and a 6'5" safety as # 2???? and the rest???? Please show that thread again-------

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=8d361993f8f01f70a877a387aaab0ec9&plckUserId=8d361993f8f01f70a877a387aaab0ec9" target="_parent">fyyankees,

I do tend to focus in on one player, valid criticism.  I'm not worried about the one bad game, sad it was his bowl game but even the best players have a bad game, even Sir Brady.  Dareus will be gone, Quinn will likely be gone and I don't know if I trust his character.  I like Heyward but my question is, does he turn it off sometimes?  He had a pretty quite year then all of a sudden plays a career game under the national spotlight.  Unless he was injured during the year and became healthy, he's a concern too.  To be honest, I haven't seen Jordan play odd since I live in California. 

I trust Mb's judgement on Kerrigan.  I only saw one half of a game with him this year and he did nothing.  I worry about him in space as a 34 OLB but I don't worry about his character or work ethic.  He may end up being a great choice.  Ultimately I will rally behind whomever BB takes.  I would also be very pleased to land one of the better Left Tackles at 17.  If I'm wrong (happened once 6 years ago) about Watt, then we can take him at 33 or perhaps a Ballard or Crick.  I like both about equally.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Round 1:

1. Carolina Panthers: AJ Green, WR, Georgia
    2. Denver Broncos: Marcell Dareus, DL, Alabama
    3. Buffalo Bills: Da’Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson
    4. Cincinnati Bengals: Nick Fairley, DL, Auburn
    5. Arizona Cardinals: Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
    6. Cleveland Browns: Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina
    7. San Francisco 49ers: Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska
    8. Tennessee Titans: Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas
    9. Dallas Cowboys: Brandon Harris, CB, Miami
    10. Washington Redskins: Jake Locker, QB, Washington
    11. Houston Texans: Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M
    12. Minnesota Vikings: Cam Newton, QB, Auburn
    13. Detroit Lions: Julio Jones, WR, Alabama
    14. St. Louis: Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State
    15. Miami Dolphins: Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri
    16. Jacksonville Jaguars: Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue
    17. New England Patriots: Aldon Smith, OLB
    18. San Diego Chargers: Adrian Clayborn, DL, Iowa
    19. New York Giants: Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State
    20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Justin Houston, DE, Georgia
    21. Seattle Seahawks: Mike Pouncey, OG, Florida
    22. Kansas City Chiefs: Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA
    23. Indianapolis Colts: Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin
    24. Philadelphia Eagles: Janoris Jenkins, CB, Florida
    25. Green Bay Packers: Nate Solder, OT, Colorado
    26. New Orleans Saints: Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon State
    27. New York Jets: JJ Watt, DL, Wisconsin
    28. Baltimore Ravens: Brandon Burton, CB, Utah
    29. Chicago Bears: Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College
    30. Pittsburgh Steelers: Aaron Williams, CB, Texas
    31. Atlanta Falcons: Kyle Rudolph, TE, Notre Dame
    32. New England Patriots: Stefen Wisniewski, G/C, Penn State

Round 2:

33. New England Patriots: Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama
    34. Buffalo Bills: DeMarcus Love, OT, Arkansas
    35. Cincinnati Bengals: Tyron Smith, OT, USC
    36. Denver Broncos: Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado
    37. Cleveland Browns: Cameron Jordan, DL, California
    38. Arizona Cardinals: Rodney Hudson, OG, Florida State
    39. Tennessee Titans: Drake Nevis, DT, LSU
    40. Dallas Cowboys: Rahim Moore, S, UCLA
    41. Washington Redskins: Mikel Leshoure, RB, Illinois
    42. Houston Texans: Kenny Tate, S, Maryland
    43. Minnesota Vikings: Bruce Carter, LB, North Carolina
    44. Detroit Lions: Davon House, CB, New Mexico State
    45. San Francisco 49ers: Christian Ponder, QB, Florida State
    46. Denver Broncos: Mark Barron, S, Alabama
    47. St. Louis Rams: Ryan Williams, RB, Virginia Tech
    48. Oakland Raiders: Orlando Franklin, OG, Miami
    49. Jacksonville Jaguars: DeAndre McDaniel, S, Clemson
    50. San Diego Chargers: Greg Jones, LB, Michigan State
    51. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Mark Herzlich, LB, Boston College
    52. New York Giants: Colin McCarthy, LB, Miami
    53. Seattle Seahawks: Jordan Todman, RB, Connecticut
    54. Indianapolis Colts: Jurrell Casey, DT, USC
    55. Philadelphia Eagles: Benjamin Ijalana, OG, Villanova
    56. Kansas City Chiefs: Cameron Heyward, DL, Ohio State
    57. Green Bay Packers: Johnny Patrick, CB, Louisville
    58. New York Jets: Jabaal Sheard, OLB, Pittsburgh
    59. Baltimore Ravens: Allen Bailey, DL, Miami
    60. New Orleans Saints: Quinton Carter, S, Oklahoma
    61. Chicago Bears: Ryan Broyles, WR, Oklahoma
    62. Pittsburgh Steelers: Marcus Cannon, T/G, TCU
    63. Atlanta Falcons: Jon Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh
    64. New England Patriots: Christian Ballard, DL, Iowa

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

To show Watt isn't the only player I'd be happy with at 17, here's my list of players I would be happy with.  There are 16 names on the list and there is no way all 16 will be taken in the first 16 picks. 

My rankPlayerPos
    1Da'Quan BowersDE
    2Patrick PetersonCB
    3Nick FairleyDT
    4AJ GreenWR
    5Marcell DareusDT
    7Julio JonesWR
    8Prince AmukamaraCB
    9Robert QuinnDE
    10Nate SolderOT
    12Anthony CastonzoOT
    13JJ WattDE
    14Ryan KerriganDE/OLB
    16Cabe CarimiOT
    17Cameron HeywardDT
    18Justin BlackmanWR
    24Stefen WisniewskiC/OG

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Is that your mock Kyle?  I really enjoyed studying it.

I honestly haven't formed an opinion of Aldon yet; haven't seen enough of him.  Wisniewski, Ingram and Ballard, that's interesting and quite a good haul for us. I think Wisniewski won't make it to 32, he's that good.  I think he's 15 spots better than Pouncey.  Maurkice is the real deal but I'm not sold on the twin as an elite 1st round prospect even at Guard.  Did you see him snap the ball over the QBs head in his bowl game?  He's done that all year so Guard is really his only position.  But I actually like your selections for the Pats if indeed Aldon is everything you think he is. 

There are a few other surprises on your mock.  Please don't take offense, I truly value your opinion and football smarts.  This is just for discussion.  I certainly don't claim to have all the answers especially this early in the process. 

-Dareus ahead of Fairley

-Buffalo I think would be all over Peterson.  They love drafting DBs high

-Locker going at 10.  I know WAS isn't the smartest team but I don't think Shannahan would be that dumb.  Gabbert would seem the better choice.
    - I honestly feel you will see the run on OTs start before 19.  The order you have them in is a bit of a surprise too.  Granted they are all close in talent but I think either Solder or Castonzo is the best.  Sherrod I think is the worst of the 4 top prospects.

Big kudos for putting together such an excellent mock.  I was thinking of trying this but I'm just not there in my thought process.  Your second round was amazing.  All of your choices made sense and the places you selected the players was pretty much in line with my thinking too.  I do think Mb's boy Powell belongs in the 2nd round but it doesn't mean he will go there.  But, wow, nice job on that mock!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

I'm glad you like my mock. You learn a lot about a draft by mocking it. It's surprising how certain players end up dropping that you don't expect to drop.

I like what I've seen of Aldon Smith. He reminds me a lot of Demarcus Ware. Great strength to set the edge. Better quickness in his pass rush than Quinn or Kerrigan that I think would translate well to pass coverage. The numbers are obviously there in terms of athleticism and production. I wish to see more tape of him, but what I've seen definitely makes me place him as my #1 rush linebacker in this draft. I wouldn't be surprised if he is taken as a top 5 pick to play DE for a 4-3 team.

My biggest problem in my draft is how far some of the defensive linemen drop. Bailey, Ballard, Heyward, Nevis, and Jordan are about half a round better, IMO, to where they're getting selected. Ingram, Baldwin, and Broyles were surprising how late they ended up.

I like Dareus more than Fairley in the 4-3 and Fairley more than Dareus in the 3-4. I'm not sure which D the Broncos will run next yeat. Right now, they're too close in value and there's too much uncertainty in Denver to know which one they'd take. But no matter what system they use, DT is one of the biggest needs. Peterson could be the pick.

Buffalo needs playmakers. I like their DTs, but DE seems to be their biggest weakness, IMO, on defense. I guess Peterson could be the pick, but Bowers could be their new Bruce Smith, the cornerstone of that defense. They have some talent at corner.

I think Locker is being underrated. He's a solid QB selection in the top half of the first round. I'd project his skill to perfectly fit what Shanahan looks for in a QB. I wouldn't be surprised though if Gabbart was the first pick in the draft.

I haven't spent a lot of time looking at OTs in the first round. I don't see that having a lot of value for us. I'm more interested in players like Danny Watkins and James Carpenter. I've seen those top 6 OTs listed in many different orders, but I don't think they'll start earlier. There are much better defensive players at the top of this draft to let these OTs displace them. None of the OTs are elite players, just good prospects, no players I'd project to have an immediate impact.

Is Powell, Bilal Powell? I have him listed as a mid-late rate selection, 4th to 6th round. Though considering the number of higher rated juniors entering the draft that I wasn't taking into account, he might need a revised rating closer to 6th or 7th round.

In the third round, with the 4 I had taken, I'm looking at CB, Curtis Brown, Ras-I Dowling, or Chimdi Chekwa, and then later OT, Jason Pinkston, Danny Watkins, Darius Morris, Marcus Gilbert, and James Carpenter.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

here is what i am thinking for our draft so far.

1a. JJ Watts, DE/DT (Wisconsin) 6-6, 292

“Watt is one of those players that is simply playing his way into national attention. He is a blue-collar player who simply outworks and outhustles his opponent by wearing them down over the course of a game. Watt has the size and strength to play in either a 4-3 or 3-4 defensive line. He has a frame that could still add on weight. He is on both the Lombardi Trophy and Bronco Nagurski Trophy watch lists. Watt began his career as tight end at Central Michigan before transferring to Wisconsin and redshirting for a year in 2008. He moved to defensive end in 2009 and started every game. Plays great against the run, using his shoulders and arms to fight for position. Great vision and makes quick adjustments to the ball-carrier. Not a pure pass rusher, relies heavily on his strength and athleticism to beat slower offensive linemen. Watt progressed very rapidly and has some versatility along the Badgers' defensive line. Can play almost any position along the line. He uses a quick first step to dig into blockers, preferring to bull rush into them.” http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=2727

He was a walk on player at Wisconsin who earned a scholarship soon after.  He is a hard working player who fits the patriots blue collar model.  Watt is an honor student and has formed his own charity to benefit local elementary and middle schools that lack funding. He began his college career at Central Michigan, worked at a Pizza Hut for six months while trying to earn a scholarship to Wisconsin, and eventually won a starting spot on the defensive line.

1b. Gabe Carimi, OL, (Wisconsin) 6’7 wt: 325

Carimi is a mauler that will open up holes in the running game and is a solid presence against the pass rush. He can play either left or right tackle.

2a. (trade down to later in the round and pick up an additional 4th round pick)

Justin Houston OLB/DE (Georgia)

Houston has good size at 6'3'' and 258 pounds. He looks like a defensive end, and that's exactly what he might play at the next level in a 4-3 scheme. In a 3-4 defense he can set up at rush linebacker. Has experience playing OLB in the 3-4 defense. Houston has been clocked as fast as 4.64 in the 40-yard dash. Through nine games as a junior, Houston has a whopping 15.5 tackles for loss and nine sacks. He also has ridiculous 35 quarterback hurries, a forced fumble, and a fumble recovery.

2b. Daniel Thomas RB (Kansas State) or Mikel Leshoure, RB, (Illinois), 

Thomas rushed for 1,265 yards and 11 touchdowns. He was even third on the team with 25 receptions for 257 yards.  Thomas has proven that he can carry the load and at 228 pounds, he has the size to be a bruising back in the NFL.  He may not be quite as explosive as some others, but he is an every down back.

3a. (trade into a 2012 2nd round pick) or Ben Ijalana OG/OT Villanova 6’4” 320

You want running lanes? Ben will give you running lanes. If Logan Mankins and Stephen Neal aren’t back in town next year, Ijalana would be a decent replacement.

3b. Chimdi Chekwa, CB (Ohio State), 6-0, 190, 4.42

4. Owen Marecic, FB/LB (Stanford) 6-1, 245

He is really a fullback, but he is also one heck of a special teams player who can make plays no matter what the situation may be. He has done a superb job blocking for the young Stanford backfield.  For an NFL team that actually uses a fullback, Marecic will be a steal in the fourth or fifth round.

4b. (b/c of trade down of 2a) Cecil Shorts III, WR, (Mount Union) 6’0”

40: 4.43 had 252 receptions, 4,615 yards, 72 touchdowns on a four-year career.  Shorts has played some running back, Wildcat quarterback, kick returner and regular quarterback as well.

5. Zach Hurd, OG, (UConn) 6’7” 325 or John Bender, OG, (Nevada) 6’8” 325

-Hurd is a massive blocker who stands out on film.  Powerful at the point, Hurd easily turns defenders off the line run blocking or anchors in pass protection.   He quickly gets his hands into opponents and keeps his feet moving yet Hurd is better in a small area as he’s exploited by quick, nimble defenders.

-Huge size and wingspan coupled with good footwork and overall mechanics. Bender, while huge is still mobile enough to get down-field and make second level blocks.  Converted from tackle, lacks speed typically found in a guard. Can be beaten by speed rush.

6. Steve Maneri, TE (Temple) 6’7” 271

(Crumpler trainee?) Large, powerful, tight end who is dominant blocking on the line of scrimmage. Jolts opponents at the point of attack, stays square and rides defenders off the line. Quickly gets into blocks, plays with a nasty attitude and easily controls opponents once engaged in a block. Seals defenders from the action with good body positioning or blocks down and completely removes them from the action. Effectively extends his hands to make the reception away from his frame.  Maneri is a powerful prospect who could well be the best blocking tight end in this year's draft. He will also get consideration at offensive tackle based on his size. Maneri is a solid late round pick who can be used as a team?s blocking tight end or developmental tackle prospect. Projection 6-7 round

6. (Compensatory for watson) Allen Bradford, RB, USC 5’11” 235

Bradford is a load. He has a powerful body, topping 230lbs and he runs very hard between the tackles. What separates him from other big backs is his breakaway speed. Give him the slightest opening, and he will hit the hole and out run the defense to the end zone.  Injury issues and has some problems holding on to the ball.

7.? Andrew Jackson, OG/DT (fresno state) 6’5” 295

He's often compared to Mankins not only because he's from Fresno State.  “At 6-5⅛ and 295 pounds, with the frame to bulk up further, Jackson looks like an offensive tackle on paper but his short arms (32 inch), heavy feet and relative lack of overall athleticism will most likely dictate that he play inside.  What stands out most about Jackson is his extraordinarily toughness and outstanding strength.  A fiery, aggressive blocker, Jackson plays the game with a nasty demeanor and is the type who always plays right up to the whistle and in some cases beyond.  A four-year starter and Academic All-American, Jackson is an extremely smart, hard working prospect with a firm grasp on things such as positioning, angles and assignments which helps compensate for other shortcomings.  However, even though Jackson is best known for his run blocking ability he is also stout at the point of attack and more than capable of holding his own in pass protection.  As an added bonus Jackson is also quite versatile, with the ability to play anywhere along the line, including tackle and center in a pinch.”  http://draftcountdown.com/draft-blog/2010/11/athletes-maulers/

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : We had this discussion before, you would be correct in the literal interpretation of the word, "team."  But the intention is next pick.  We've actually seen this before mid round when the Pats had pick 40 and 41 in the 2009 draft.  They were late on the first pick and time expired.  If memory serves, they used up most of the clock again then turned in both picks.  The thing that makes this interesting is we are talking about the end of a round.  Would the round actually end until pick 32 is made?  Assuming you are correct and the Commish leap frogs both our picks and awards Buffalo pick 32, it might not be all that bad if we feel we know who Buffalo will take and it isn't a player we want.  For instance, and this could happen, we feel pretty sure Buffalo will take Jake Locker.  We don't want him so what's the harm in letting them take him?  NONE.  We then start the 2nd day with the first two picks working the phones all night.  There is absolutely nothing in the rules that would cause us to completely lose our picks, we would be first on the clock with 14 minutes to make two selections.  Again, I've been watching the draft since 1981 and actually used to go to NYC to be at the draft when I lived on the east coast.  I've seen teams before having consecutive picks being given the extra time.  I don't recall any specific examples other than us in 2009.

Faucet it's late and I am tired so I only flashed your post so excuse if i did not get all the drift in my response.

Yes I think the only way they hold onto the two picks for the beginning of the next(2nd) round is if they do not mind forfeighting the 32nd pick of the first round for free(without compensation) to who ever picks 2nd in the 2nd round.

If you all remember this actually happened before.

This occurred in the 2003 draft, when the Minnesota Vikings, with the 7th overall pick, were late with their selection. The Jacksonville Jaguars drafted quarterback Byron Leftwich and the Carolina Panthers drafted offensive tackle Jordan Gross before the Vikings were able to submit their selection of defensive tackle Kevin Williams.

It's a free for all, in order, if someone is late with thier selection. Teams just start running up to make a selection. The end of day/round thing and haveing the next pick after their own is the interesting part that makes the bit Faucet and I agreed with above the ONLY likely possible scenario to happen if the Pats kept the picks but did not make slections.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]here is what i am thinking for our draft so far. 1a. JJ Watts, DE/DT (Wisconsin) 6-6, 292 “Watt is one of those players that is simply playing his way into national attention. He is a blue-collar player who simply outworks and outhustles his opponent by wearing them down over the course of a game. Watt has the size and strength to play in either a 4-3 or 3-4 defensive line. He has a frame that could still add on weight. He is on both the Lombardi Trophy and Bronco Nagurski Trophy watch lists. Watt began his career as tight end at Central Michigan before transferring to Wisconsin and redshirting for a year in 2008. He moved to defensive end in 2009 and started every game. Plays great against the run, using his shoulders and arms to fight for position. Great vision and makes quick adjustments to the ball-carrier. Not a pure pass rusher, relies heavily on his strength and athleticism to beat slower offensive linemen. Watt progressed very rapidly and has some versatility along the Badgers' defensive line. Can play almost any position along the line. He uses a quick first step to dig into blockers, preferring to bull rush into them.” http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=2727 He was a walk on player at Wisconsin who earned a scholarship soon after.   He is a hard working player who fits the patriots blue collar model.   Watt is an honor student and has formed his own charity to benefit local elementary and middle schools that lack funding. He began his college career at Central Michigan, worked at a Pizza Hut for six months while trying to earn a scholarship to Wisconsin, and eventually won a starting spot on the defensive line. 1b. Gabe Carimi, OL, (Wisconsin) 6’7 ″ wt : 325 Carimi is a mauler that will open up holes in the running game and is a solid presence against the pass rush. He can play either left or right tackle. 2a. (trade down to later in the round and pick up an additional 4 th round pick) Justin Houston OLB/DE (Georgia) Houston has good size at 6'3'' and 258 pounds. He looks like a defensive end, and that's exactly what he might play at the next level in a 4-3 scheme. In a 3-4 defense he can set up at rush linebacker. Has experience playing OLB in the 3-4 defense. Houston has been clocked as fast as 4.64 in the 40-yard dash. Through nine games as a junior, Houston has a whopping 15.5 tackles for loss and nine sacks. He also has ridiculous 35 quarterback hurries, a forced fumble, and a fumble recovery. 2b. Daniel Thomas RB (Kansas State) or Mikel Leshoure, RB, (Illinois),   Thomas rushed for 1,265 yards and 11 touchdowns. He was even third on the team with 25 receptions for 257 yards.   Thomas has proven that he can carry the load and at 228 pounds, he has the size to be a bruising back in the NFL.   He may not be quite as explosive as some others, but he is an every down back. 3a. (trade into a 2012 2 nd round pick) or Ben Ijalana OG/OT Villanova 6’4” 320 You want running lanes? Ben will give you running lanes. If Logan Mankins and Stephen Neal aren’t back in town next year, Ijalana would be a decent replacement. 3b. Chimdi Chekwa , CB (Ohio State), 6-0, 190, 4.42 4. Owen Marecic, FB/LB (Stanford) 6-1, 245 He is really a fullback, but he is also one heck of a special teams player who can make plays no matter what the situation may be. He has done a superb job blocking for the young Stanford backfield.   For an NFL team that actually uses a fullback, Marecic will be a steal in the fourth or fifth round. 4b. (b/c of trade down of 2a) Cecil Shorts III, WR, (Mount Union) 6’0” 40: 4.43 had 252 receptions, 4,615 yards, 72 touchdowns on a four-year career.   Shorts has played some running back, Wildcat quarterback, kick returner and regular quarterback as well. 5. Zach Hurd, OG, (UConn) 6’7” 325 or John Bender, OG, (Nevada) 6’8” 325 -Hurd is a massive blocker who stands out on film.  Powerful at the point, Hurd easily turns defenders off the line run blocking or anchors in pass protection.   He quickly gets his hands into opponents and keeps his feet moving yet Hurd is better in a small area as he’s exploited by quick, nimble defenders. -Huge size and wingspan coupled with good footwork and overall mechanics. Bender, while huge is still mobile enough to get down-field and make second level blocks.   Converted from tackle, lacks speed typically found in a guard. Can be beaten by speed rush.   6. Steve Maneri, TE (Temple) 6’7” 271 (Crumpler trainee?) Large, powerful, tight end who is dominant blocking on the line of scrimmage. Jolts opponents at the point of attack, stays square and rides defenders off the line. Quickly gets into blocks, plays with a nasty attitude and easily controls opponents once engaged in a block. Seals defenders from the action with good body positioning or blocks down and completely removes them from the action. Effectively extends his hands to make the reception away from his frame.   Maneri is a powerful prospect who could well be the best blocking tight end in this year's draft. He will also get consideration at offensive tackle based on his size. Maneri is a solid late round pick who can be used as a team?s blocking tight end or developmental tackle prospect. Projection 6-7 round 6. (Compensatory for watson) Allen Bradford, RB, USC 5’11” 235 Bradford is a load. He has a powerful body, topping 230lbs and he runs very hard between the tackles. What separates him from other big backs is his breakaway speed. Give him the slightest opening, and he will hit the hole and out run the defense to the end zone.   Injury issues and has some problems holding on to the ball. 7.? Andrew Jackson, OG/DT (fresno state) 6’5” 295 He's often compared to Mankins not only because he's from Fresno State.  “A t 6-5⅛ and 295 pounds, with the frame to bulk up further, Jackson looks like an offensive tackle on paper but his short arms (32 inch), heavy feet and relative lack of overall athleticism will most likely dictate that he play inside.  What stands out most about Jackson is his extraordinarily toughness and outstanding strength.  A fiery, aggressive blocker, Jackson plays the game with a nasty demeanor and is the type who always plays right up to the whistle and in some cases beyond.  A four-year starter and Academic All-American, Jackson is an extremely smart, hard working prospect with a firm grasp on things such as positioning, angles and assignments which helps compensate for other shortcomings.  However, even though Jackson is best known for his run blocking ability he is also stout at the point of attack and more than capable of holding his own in pass protection.  As an added bonus Jackson is also quite versatile, with the ability to play anywhere along the line, including tackle and center in a pinch.”   http://draftcountdown.com/draft-blog/2010/11/athletes-maulers/
    Posted by natesubs[/QUOTE]

Maneri has already been on and off the NE roster, he's not a draft eligible player.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

1(a) we must think of protecting our franchize QB, and relize the age and contract status of our OL is getting pretty shaky.  A quality swing OT with the length to keep DE's off their body ( 6'7" TO 6'8") and enough weight ( 315 to 330) to avoid being pushed around by DE's, and enough quickness to fit our system can only be found early in round 1. Light is unsigned, aproaching 31 so his decline is eminent and not worthy of an extended contract and may be worth a 3rd rd. pick on a sign and trade. There are 3 possible top round possibilities with 1 that has a good chance to be there at pick 17, that being Gabe Carimi. It is criticle that this pick is made this draft because I don't see us picking this high in rd.1 for a few more years. This pick along with Vollimer also being a swing OT would set us up for another 7 to 8 years. This must be done even if it requires a trade up to accomplish.

Sticking to this same line of thought I will skip foward to PICK NO. 64 our fourth pick the 2nd in rd. 2. First I will say it is imperitive that Mankins is signed, but even so Neal must be replaced because of age and injury frequency. There is an ideal prospect who is projected to be availible at pick 64, that being Benjamin Ijalana at an ideal size of 6'4" 320lb.. Has all the measurables needed to play both left and right guard at a high level. This pick along with Gabe Carimi would solidify our OL for many years, leaving us only Koppen to be replaced by Connoly or Wendel at a later date.

At this point our offence being well stocked at WR and TE would only require complimentary RB to the existing foundation we have, This will come in later rounds.

Next at picks 32 and 33 we need to add deapth to both DE and DE/OLB.  There are @ 3 good matches at OLB or conversion DE/OLB one of which has no chance of reaching pick 32 (DaQuan Bowers), but there is a chance either Robert Quinn or Akeem Ayers might make it to this level. Quinn's time off due to the suspension he served gives him a slight question mark, and Ayers game films shows a propensity to arm tackle or lack of the big hit will cause them to drop, but I feel either one may be able to be molded into our system.

At DE There are far more choices that may have a good choice fall to pick 33. I see @ 9 quality possibilities all highly rated but sheere numbers will allow good choices to drop. My choice who may fall into our lap at 33 will be J.J. watt.

This will take care of all imediate need and gives us the leverage to pick the best availible players for depth.

With the first pick in Rd. 3 No. 76 I would take a chance on Kenrick Ellis DT. This kid would be a project with a risk, but the up side would be worth it. He is 6'5" 340 lb. with exceptional speed and quickness for a guy his side. He is able to play any possition on the DL from NT to DT to DE. A good option to put next to Wilfork in the 43 and groom to be his replacement in a few years.

With the 2nd. pick in the 3rd. rd. at no. 96 I would look to depth for RB to complement BJGE, in the form of a big power back.  This early before the draft this possition is still very fluid as to who will go in what slot.  Guessing the best possibilities at this time I am enclined to go with a) Kendall Hunter 5'8" 200 4.48 b)Delone Carter 5'9" 215 4.52 c)Anthony Allen 6'0" 230 4.58.

With pick no.128 in the 4th. rd. I would take a chance on depth at DE/OLB with a big name player comeing off a major injury, this being Greg Romeus out of Pitt 6'5" 268 4.79. If he could return to form this would be a steal.

Again with pick no. 160 in the 5th. I would still keep reaching for depth at DE/OLB with Markus White from Fla. St. 6'4" 262 4.

With pick no. 187 in the 6th rd I would look at depth in a change of pace RB along the lines of Woodhead with exceptional speed named Derrick Locke from kentucky 5'9" 190 4.36.

As UDFA's I would take a flier on 1) Brandon Saine Ohio St. RB 6'0" 219 4.46
    2)Kris Adams Texas El Paso WR 6'3"195 4.48
    3)James Rodgers Oregon St. WR 5'7" 188 4.43
    4)Steven Friday Virginia Tech. DE/OLB 6'4" 250 4.66

Would realy enjoy seeing the competion these additions would make with the existing roster in training camp, and the way it would reshape the entire roster down to the PS.   

Sections
Shortcuts