Notice: All Boston.com forums will be retired as of May 31st, 2016 and will not be archived. Thank you for your participation in this community, and we hope you continue to enjoy other content at Boston.com.

2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from gln826. Show gln826's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15***

In Response to www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a9690Discussion%3a0139b12e-73ca-46cc-a419-188866693882&plckFindPostKey=Cat:SportsForum:9690Discussion:0139b12e-73ca-46cc-a419-188866693882Post:a7552815-6bbe-476a-85fc-e229396bf099">Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK***:
    I believe the Pats will either go OLB or OT with the 17th pick (unless a trade down).  There are too many DE that do not fit what BB is looking for in a DE/DT (6-4 300 lb) except for Dareus or Fairely which are too far out of reach for the Pats to move up.  So this is how I see it: 1) A Ayers OLB - He is the most complete OLB, can rush, cover, and secure the POA.  BB loves flexibility, with Ayers he will have it. 1a) C Hairston OT - has the height and size BB loves.  Good pass blocker, even better run blocker and very athletic. 2) R Williams RB - There is a very high chance that this pick will be traded (about middle of 2nd round).  Williams is a RB with good speed, quickness, and has good hands.  He is a great compliment to BJGE's power game.  2a) C Bowling OG/OT - He is an OL that will play OG in the NFL (played OT & OG on both sides).  He plays in the SEC so he has played against the best DL's in college.  He is in the Mankins mold (size) with the same mean streak. 3) K Ellis DT/DE - He is a beast of a player.  He is huge (6-4 1/2 340 lbs) but is very quick for his size.  His problem is his maturity, big V will need help him a lot in this area. 3) B Boykin CB - He could be the biggest "sleeper" CB in the draft. 4) A Binns WR - He is a taller reciever (6-2 1/2) with good speed and has good ball skills.  He could be the next "red shirt" WR because he needs to work on getting separtion for BB.  A lot to work with. 5) Duenta Williams S - would have been one of the top S's in the draft if not for an injury in his bowl game.  Draft and place on IR.  He will be a steal for the 2012 season. As of right now, I do not believe the Pats have a 6th or 7th round pick because of the Maroney trade (6th included), and 7th included in the Moss trade.
    Posted by gln826

B Boykin CB is returning to school.    Duenta Williams S is a 3-4th round prospect after his injury i highly doubt that a broken leg will take one of the top safeties in the draft down to the 5th round.    C Hairston OT is not a 1st round pick he is slated to go anywhere from the 3rd-5th round by most draft sites.  You see to have done a great deal of research about players abilities but you do not have accurate rounds where players are projected to be taken.  Most people on these boards have a favorite site which has player projected rounds and they base their mocks on these.

I didnt know Boykin was going back to school, my bad.  Probally smart move on his part.  I totally disagree on Hairston, IMO he is a mid to late 2nd rounder, but he is a BB type of player thats why I had him there.  I believe that BB will move down with the 28th-32nd (depends on playoffs) and #33 will move down into the middle of the 2nd round with both, so he would probally be there in the mid 2nd along with Ryan Williams.  Because of the location of D Williams broken leg (above the ankle) it could scare off many teams because of his mobility will not be as good.  The 5th round is a bit late, but Rolle (last year) went very late and no one thought he would get past the 3rd round.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I was just thinking, what if CAR offered up their 2012 1st to get their #33 back?  We pass on FS now and could be looking at Luck next year and have him sit 2 years behind Brady while learning from the best, or get the best stud DE in the draft next year.  Our need at S can wait another year and I'm just not in love with any of the DL types I project being left at 17 or beyond.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Faucetman, I was going over your two round mock. It follows a point I was trying to make. Very talented defensive linemen will be available at the end of the 2nd round and beginning of the 3rd round. You specifically have Allen Bailey, Kenrick Ellis, and Muhammed Willkerson available.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wazzu-wheatfarmer. Show Wazzu-wheatfarmer's posts

Faucet-
    Great job on your 2 round mock.  I thought this was the most well thoughout and realistic mock I've seen yet.  If things were to play out this way, I'm sure BB would try to trade back the #17 & #33 picks.  Solder and Tate would be great additions, and I would be okay with Smith at #32 (Hopefully that is in fact our draft position!)  Not sold on a RB that early, but it is a need, so it could happen.  A wild card guy for me is Paea.  I've seen him mocked everywhere from top 10 to mid 2nd round.  I've seen him play a few times and he looked very big and physical.  I'll bet he is on BB's radar...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15***:
    I was just thinking, what if CAR offered up their 2012 1st to get their #33 back?  We pass on FS now and could be looking at Luck next year and have him sit 2 years behind Brady while learning from the best, or get the best stud DE in the draft next year.  Our need at S can wait another year and I'm just not in love with any of the DL types I project being left at 17 or beyond.
    Posted by Faucetman

i  have not responded much to this thread in about two months...but i have to say i am in full agreement with your post here. i actually am not a big fan of the kids projected or are being mocked between 11 and 22.

watt perhaps? but i don't know if i like him at #17 because he still is not the 305-310 lb sey-like de we are looking for.  he would still have to gain 10 pounds, and we don't kow what that added weight will do to his game. there's still too much risk  at 17. to me, he's tempting because there does not seem to be 34 DEs in FA either.

i'd rather trade that  #33 for a 2012 first rnder. i am anticipating a better class next year. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK***

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK***:
    In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : I watched a few u-tube clips on him, he's a big time hitter too.  NFLDraftScout.com has him as their top rated FS for 2012.  They haven't updated to include all the declared underclassmen so I wonder where Tate fits into the Carter, Moore, Sands, Barron, McDaniel, Hill, Johnson and Black  discussion.  Condraft thinks Tate is the best.  It's possible that not a single safety gets picked in the first round.  One or two Safeties could slip in the back end of the first round but I don't think so.  If we assume no safety goes in the top 24 then we can see none going in round 1.  As I showed before, CB is not a top need, Safety IMO is, maybe not for 2011, but certainly for 2012.  BB doesn't draft based on his current year weakness, he drafts based on what his team looks like in the future 1-2 years with contracts, age, performance and positional depth as key factors, IMO. The last 8 teams to draft are set, just not their order yet; but if we go by record, these are the teams and their supposed top needs.  These teams all have one thing in common, they all have OL needs.  The top of the board is loaded with defensive players while it appears the lower half of the first round is loaded with offensive players and teams with needs to match. 25.  Seattle - OT, OG, C followed by QB and SS 26.  Green Bay - RB, OG , OLB followed by DE, CB, OT 27.  NY Jets - WR, DE followed by OLB, OG 28.  Chicago - OT followed by WR, OG , and OLB 29.  Baltimore - C, OT , CB, SS, FS followed by WR, OLB, OG 30.  Pittsburgh - OT, OG followed by CB 31.  Atlanta - DE, DT followed by OG , TE, OT 32.  New England - OT, OG , OLB followed by RB, DE Positionally, CB projects to be a deep and stable position for us in the coming years.  The projected starters McCourty (2014), Bodden (2013) are signed long term.  Then we have Arrington (Exlusive Rights F/A who will probably get a 4 year deal), Butler (2012), and  Wilhite (2011), But look at the S position; a lot of uncertainty.  Starters Meriweather (2011) and Chung (2012), only signed for another 1 and 2 years respectively.  Meriweather with his multiple Pro Bowls will want a huge contract and I can't see us giving it to him.  Then we have Page (2010), and Sanders (2011).  Unless you want to count UFA Sergio Brown and Josh Barrett , that's it.  Page could be gone when the season ends and Meriweather and Sanders after next season.  So while we have 5 CBs signed through 2011 we only have 3 S signed through next season.  I am going to start mocking a safety somewhere in the 2-3 round.
    Posted by Faucetman
    though I'm no expert and don't procalim to be one ,BB liked enough of what he saw in Josh Barrett to pick him up off waivers at his contractural price and then IR'd him giving him his entire salary for the 2010 season ,I'm thinking BB has a plan we aren't seeing. Could it be that Barrett takes spot on next years roster as a FS/SS???? O-line is the main concern for this team going forward.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Faucetman, I was going over your two round mock. It follows a point I was trying to make. Very talented defensive linemen will be available at the end of the 2nd round and beginning of the 3rd round. You specifically have Allen Bailey, Kenrick Ellis, and Muhammed Willkerson available.
    Posted by KyleCleric2

Yeah, I was looking at it again today with my best of the rest and Bailey should be gone by now.  I was going to have Wilkerson coming off early in round 3 and Ellis to the next NT needy team.  I might delete and re-do as I have some OL types going too soon and not enough RBs.  There is still a lot of talent left on my board.  KJ Wright should be gone, Houston, now that he's declared should be gone sooner.  I need to not worry so much about filling top needs first when there will be depth later and teams know this.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

pumpsiefan,

That would be funny but not likely.  First off, the players you are suggesting don't address Carolina's biggest needs which are DE, DT, OLB, TE, QB, CB.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Faucet- Great job on your 2 round mock.  I thought this was the most well thoughout and realistic mock I've seen yet.  If things were to play out this way, I'm sure BB would try to trade back the #17 & #33 picks.  Solder and Tate would be great additions, and I would be okay with Smith at #32 (Hopefully that is in fact our draft position!)  Not sold on a RB that early, but it is a need, so it could happen.  A wild card guy for me is Paea.  I've seen him mocked everywhere from top 10 to mid 2nd round.  I've seen him play a few times and he looked very big and physical.  I'll bet he is on BB's radar...
    Posted by Wazzu-wheatfarmer

I totally agree that we will be trading back.  I like Paea too and have seen him a couple times but I view him more as a 43 DT.  He's short and stout like Pryor. 

Normally I wouldn't take a back that early either but Ryan Williams is a late 1st/early 2nd round talent.  In fact, he could be the best RB in this draft class as a pro.  Because he was a redshirt sophomore, a lot of us, at least me, totally missed him.  He wasn't even in my top 15 for RBs until I read that he declared.  Now I have him as the 3rd best RB but he could go higher.  In 2009, he rushed for 1,655 yards and 21 touchdowns to earn first-team All-ACC accolades and ACC Rookie of the Year honors. He capped off the season with 117 rushing yards in the Chick-fil-A Bowl win over Tennessee to earn the game's Offensive MVP award. He missed several games this year due to a hamstring injury so he was completely flying under my radar.  I'm still researching him but like what I see so far.  He's a bigger Jordan Todman and just as fast.

I went back and deleted my mock because I failed to research the order of the second round.  For instance, the Jets don't have a 2nd round pick!!!  They traded it to SD last year.  Miami doesn't have a 2nd either, they traded it to Denver.  Baring trades we get to make 5 selections before our two biggest division rivals get to make their 2nd pick!!!  We get stronger, they get weaker.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : though I'm no expert and don't procalim to be one ,BB liked enough of what he saw in Josh Barrett to pick him up off waivers at his contractural price and then IR'd him giving him his entire salary for the 2010 season ,I'm thinking BB has a plan we aren't seeing. Could it be that Barrett takes spot on next years roster as a FS/SS???? O-line is the main concern for this team going forward.
    Posted by sportsbozo1

good point, sb. With Barrett, McGowan coming off IR and hopefully re-signing Page, our needs as Safety are not pressing.

So watch BB take a safety, of course..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : good point, sb. With Barrett, McGowan coming off IR and hopefully re-signing Page, our needs as Safety are not pressing. So watch BB take a safety, of course..
    Posted by pats-fan-2007

Agreed. Also, i have a feeling Meriweather will be with the team for a while.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

The Broncos and Browns are converting back to the 4-3. The Texans are converting to the 3-4 but they'll likely stick with Okoye and Williams at end and then Cody or Mitchell at nose. the Texans need 3 new starting DBs, help at LB, and then perhaps depth on the DLine, probably in that order. I think they'll wait till the 3rd or 4th round before addressing the DLine.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In working up my mock I am seeing exceptional depth at RB, DT and CB.  I think we could be looking at 1-2 round value improvement if we hold off on those positions until later in the draft. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : good point, sb. With Barrett, McGowan coming off IR and hopefully re-signing Page, our needs as Safety are not pressing. So watch BB take a safety, of course..
    Posted by pats-fan-2007

McGowan is a free agent after the season along with Page.  There is no assurance either will be back.  Barrett is a nobody former 7th round pick with 3 starts in 3 seasons with most of his work coming on special teams.  Barrett is a big safety like Tank Williams was in 2008.  BB has been looking for the next Rodney Harrison since he retired.  Barrett was a cheap acquistion; BB was hoping he might find a gem but to say we have no need at S is a bit optimistic.  We could wait a year, I'll give you that but the need is bigger at S than CB.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : Agreed. Also, i have a feeling Meriweather will be with the team for a while.
    Posted by KyleCleric2

Seriously??  I'm surprised hearing that from you Kyle.  Granted Safeties are relatively cheap compared to other positions but the top 5 safeties earned about $6.5MM in 2010 and with another Pro Bowl, that's a lot of coin for Meriweather especially if we sign Mankins long term.  If you consider Welker and Branch will also be free agents after 2011 as will Connolly, Ninkovich, Koppen, Sanders, Guyton and others, paying Meriweather elite safety money might not make sense.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

How many safties make the final roster? We now potentially have Chung, Sanders, Meriweather, Page, Barrett, McGowan and Brown. maybe I'm missing one?

if Page and McGowan are not signed, and Barrett being unproven, combined with Meriweather possibly being in his last year next year, I would think the safety position should demand a pick in this draft. The question is, "What pick?".

I like the rest are high on Tate. I think he would be a nice compliment Meri, Chung, Sanders and whoever else is left.

Back to the Carolina idea posed....There are only 2 "stellar" 3-4 DE's in this years draft...Fairely and Dareus. Next tier you have Watt, and then it drops down to Wilkerson, etc. I think the rest of the guys are 4-3 DE's, and too small to play in the Pats system...guys we have been discussing like Jordan, Heyward, Kerrigan, etc.

I would do a trade to the #1 spot with Carolina if they would be willing to trade down. Given Carolina is needy across so many positions, what do you have to gain by taking Fairely with the 1st pick and then not picking until round 3? Sure you get a stud DE, but then not much else.
    What if we traded #17 or #32 plus our first in 2012 to Carolina for their #1 this year? Would that get it done? Fairely is the DE we have been looking for since Sey left, and there just isn't anyone in this draft class that even compares once you get beyond Dareus, and even he plays second fiddle.

Would you do it? If not why? What would it take realistically make this move? Throw in a 2nd or 3rd rounder and possibly a player?....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Look on the bright side, if possible after that choke.  The Pats moved up 4 spots in the draft.  The Jets pick no better than 29 and 93; as they don't have a second round pick.  Same with Miami, they don't have a second round pick.

Patriots 17, 28, 33, 60, 74, 92
    Jets no better than 29, 93
    Miami 15, 79

So we get 5 picks before either of our top division rivals get their 2nd pick, 6 picks to the Jets 1, baring any trades.

Sorry, I needed to post this for therapy.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

If you want to call that the bright side of a shocking and disapointing, loss, I'm with you.

I'm going to throw something out here that most people will probably Puk3 when they read. Before I do so, I just want to state that I have been a Pats diehard fan for the last 30+ years. No waivering ever, not even in the thin years. Hence my screen name, "PatsLifer".

But, when I look at how this team is current comprised, after this game, I want to look harder at the QB position. Brady has not won a big game since 2007, and we lost the biggest of them. We have gone 0-2 in the postseason since. Even before 2007, 2006 we lost in the AFCCG. We haven't won a SB in some time. I know it's not all Brady's fault, but after what we witnessed today, I couldn't help but think if we had a QB even with a decent set of legs who could scramble and run, the Jets D would have been playing us much, much different. I couldn't count how many times Brady had 10-15 yards of running room in front of him if he just tucked it and ran.

Is it getting close to considering taking a QB with a 1st round pick? Not this year for sure, but what about if we can get into the top of the draft next or the year after? What about a possibly trade? Before you all cruxify me, think long and hard at what we have done lately with TB. Don't let the first 5 years tarnish the facts of the last 5. THoughts and mud-slinging begin.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

If you want to call that the bright side of a shocking and disapointing, loss, I'm with you. I'm going to throw something out here that most people will probably Puk3 when they read. Before I do so, I just want to state that I have been a Pats diehard fan for the last 30+ years. No waivering ever, not even in the thin years. Hence my screen name, "PatsLifer". But, when I look at how this team is current comprised, after this game, I want to look harder at the QB position. Brady has not won a big game since 2007, and we lost the biggest of them. We have gone 0-2 in the postseason since. Even before 2007, 2006 we lost in the AFCCG. We haven't won a SB in some time. I know it's not all Brady's fault, but after what we witnessed today, I couldn't help but think if we had a QB even with a decent set of legs who could scramble and run, the Jets D would have been playing us much, much different. I couldn't count how many times Brady had 10-15 yards of running room in front of him if he just tucked it and ran. Is it getting close to considering taking a QB with a 1st round pick? Not this year for sure, but what about if we can get into the top of the draft next or the year after? What about a possibly trade? Before you all cruxify me, think long and hard at what we have done lately with TB. Don't let the first 5 years tarnish the facts of the last 5. THoughts and mud-slinging begin.
    Posted by PatsLifer

A few more years until that.....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

patslifer, dude, sober up.  Brady didnt drop that late pass that hit Branch in the hands.  Same with some other plays.  He also didnt give up 28 points.  He is still the best QB there is and a future HOFer.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sydpat. Show sydpat's posts

Faucet and MB ............

Now that I've nearly shot the dog and ripped most of my hair out I would like you to give your thoughts on what you would do now if you were BB, particularly after the devastation of today.

Why can't we produce when we have to? so frustrating.

Who should go, who should stay (bearing in mind salaries and contracts) and what moves in the draft and free agency should we make.

I trust your judgement better that those actually running the scouting system at the Pats.

Does todays' shambles change your opinions in any way?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

If you want to call that the bright side of a shocking and disapointing, loss, I'm with you. I'm going to throw something out here that most people will probably Puk3 when they read. Before I do so, I just want to state that I have been a Pats diehard fan for the last 30+ years. No waivering ever, not even in the thin years. Hence my screen name, "PatsLifer". But, when I look at how this team is current comprised, after this game, I want to look harder at the QB position. Brady has not won a big game since 2007, and we lost the biggest of them. We have gone 0-2 in the postseason since. Even before 2007, 2006 we lost in the AFCCG. We haven't won a SB in some time. I know it's not all Brady's fault, but after what we witnessed today, I couldn't help but think if we had a QB even with a decent set of legs who could scramble and run, the Jets D would have been playing us much, much different. I couldn't count how many times Brady had 10-15 yards of running room in front of him if he just tucked it and ran. Is it getting close to considering taking a QB with a 1st round pick? Not this year for sure, but what about if we can get into the top of the draft next or the year after? What about a possibly trade? Before you all cruxify me, think long and hard at what we have done lately with TB. Don't let the first 5 years tarnish the facts of the last 5. THoughts and mud-slinging begin.
    Posted by PatsLifer

Secretly I ask the question myself but I would never admit that publicly.  It is too soon to get rid of our Babe Ruth of Football.  But I hinted that a trade to CAR for their #1 in 2012 for their #33 this year would be interesting because we could come back and get Luck next year.  Luck could learn all the nuances for 1-2 years about being the best pocket passer of all time, and, oh by the way, Luck can run.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

syd,

It does.  I think we need better WRs.  The ones we have, other than Welker who opened his damn mouth and shot us in the foot, we don't have anyone elite.  If Watt is gone and Jones is there, it's a no brainer.  We also need Bodden back.  That pass up the middle that went for a million yards right after we scored in the 3rd has to be stopped; which doesn't speak well for Meriweather either.

Our D is the youngest in the NFL.  They will get better but we are missing that force at Safety (a la Rodney Harrison) who, by his mere presence, causes opposing receivers to hear footsteps and drop passes in fear.  We are missing a pass rush and a dominant DL outside Wilfork.  I sometimes think we should abandon the 3-4 until we have better personnel.  Spikes, when out there was SLOW; instinctive, but terribly slow.  The D imploded today and the O was lost.  I don't hang it all on Brady or the receivers, Rex out coached us today.  I freakin' hate saying it, but he did.  BB needs some real coordinators who can coach better than what we saw today.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

patslifer, dude, sober up.  Brady didnt drop that late pass that hit Branch in the hands.  Same with some other plays.  He also didnt give up 28 points.  He is still the best QB there is and a future HOFer.
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon

Thanks Mordecai but that pass was not in Branch's hands. It seemed to me to be thrown behind him, and Branch had to do a good bit of stretching to pull it in...but again, just my perception.

I know Brady is still one of the best QB's in the game. And, i probably wouldn't cash him in for anyone at this point, but my point is the last 3 playoff loses have a lot to do with him, but so does going 14-2 this season. As great as he is, I get a sick feeling in my stomach to think that one of the best of all time, the guy that is supposed to be absolutely clutch come big game time, has had no so stellar post season efforts for the past 3 post season games.

Anyhow...if this game did anything for me, it's helped me think a bit more clearly about the draft. I am convinced we need to put some serious effort in improving both the DL and OL, taking a WR fairly high, and another CB. I am really leaning on using our first 4 picks and not trading...DL, OL, WR, CB. I want to see us draft for these positions specifically with our first 4 picks. 

Watching the last few games, including tonight, I'm convinced Tate is not the answer at WR and possibly not even as a KR. I'm ready to draft his replacement next year. The DL is a bit more dicey because we have several players who should be back next year that were hurt. I think this defnese is very different with TWarren, Pryor, Wright and Brace all healthy and playing. Not as much concerned with the line, but still would like to see a significant upgrade. OL we all know needs improvement. I don't know where Connolly was today, but he wasn't blocking. I don't think he is a starting RG right now, and if Mankins leaves, that means we need 2. CB...we all saw Butler give up that long pass to Edwards. He and Arrington are not starting caliber CB's on our team. Both are nickel/dime CB's at best. 

Perhaps I am being a bit too harsh because of the loss tonight, but I think we saw a lot of deficiencies across the board. Perhaps some of these were camoflauged throughout the year, but tonight inthe biggest game of the year, they were exposed.  

Sections
Shortcuts