2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15***

The Broncos and Browns are converting back to the 4-3. The Texans are converting to the 3-4 but they'll likely stick with Okoye and Williams at end and then Cody or Mitchell at nose. the Texans need 3 new starting DBs, help at LB, and then perhaps depth on the DLine, probably in that order. I think they'll wait till the 3rd or 4th round before addressing the DLine.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In working up my mock I am seeing exceptional depth at RB, DT and CB.  I think we could be looking at 1-2 round value improvement if we hold off on those positions until later in the draft. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK***

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK***:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : good point, sb. With Barrett, McGowan coming off IR and hopefully re-signing Page, our needs as Safety are not pressing. So watch BB take a safety, of course..
    Posted by pats-fan-2007[/QUOTE]
    McGowan is a free agent after the season along with Page.  There is no assurance either will be back.  Barrett is a nobody former 7th round pick with 3 starts in 3 seasons with most of his work coming on special teams.  Barrett is a big safety like Tank Williams was in 2008.  BB has been looking for the next Rodney Harrison since he retired.  Barrett was a cheap acquistion; BB was hoping he might find a gem but to say we have no need at S is a bit optimistic.  We could wait a year, I'll give you that but the need is bigger at S than CB.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK***

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK***:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***WITH NEW MOCK*** : Agreed. Also, i have a feeling Meriweather will be with the team for a while.
    Posted by KyleCleric2[/QUOTE]
    Seriously??  I'm surprised hearing that from you Kyle.  Granted Safeties are relatively cheap compared to other positions but the top 5 safeties earned about $6.5MM in 2010 and with another Pro Bowl, that's a lot of coin for Meriweather especially if we sign Mankins long term.  If you consider Welker and Branch will also be free agents after 2011 as will Connolly, Ninkovich, Koppen, Sanders, Guyton and others, paying Meriweather elite safety money might not make sense.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

How many safties make the final roster? We now potentially have Chung, Sanders, Meriweather, Page, Barrett, McGowan and Brown. maybe I'm missing one?

if Page and McGowan are not signed, and Barrett being unproven, combined with Meriweather possibly being in his last year next year, I would think the safety position should demand a pick in this draft. The question is, "What pick?".

I like the rest are high on Tate. I think he would be a nice compliment Meri, Chung, Sanders and whoever else is left.

Back to the Carolina idea posed....There are only 2 "stellar" 3-4 DE's in this years draft...Fairely and Dareus. Next tier you have Watt, and then it drops down to Wilkerson, etc. I think the rest of the guys are 4-3 DE's, and too small to play in the Pats system...guys we have been discussing like Jordan, Heyward, Kerrigan, etc.

I would do a trade to the #1 spot with Carolina if they would be willing to trade down. Given Carolina is needy across so many positions, what do you have to gain by taking Fairely with the 1st pick and then not picking until round 3? Sure you get a stud DE, but then not much else.
    What if we traded #17 or #32 plus our first in 2012 to Carolina for their #1 this year? Would that get it done? Fairely is the DE we have been looking for since Sey left, and there just isn't anyone in this draft class that even compares once you get beyond Dareus, and even he plays second fiddle.

Would you do it? If not why? What would it take realistically make this move? Throw in a 2nd or 3rd rounder and possibly a player?....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Look on the bright side, if possible after that choke.  The Pats moved up 4 spots in the draft.  The Jets pick no better than 29 and 93; as they don't have a second round pick.  Same with Miami, they don't have a second round pick.

Patriots 17, 28, 33, 60, 74, 92
    Jets no better than 29, 93
    Miami 15, 79

So we get 5 picks before either of our top division rivals get their 2nd pick, 6 picks to the Jets 1, baring any trades.

Sorry, I needed to post this for therapy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

If you want to call that the bright side of a shocking and disapointing, loss, I'm with you.

I'm going to throw something out here that most people will probably Puk3 when they read. Before I do so, I just want to state that I have been a Pats diehard fan for the last 30+ years. No waivering ever, not even in the thin years. Hence my screen name, "PatsLifer".

But, when I look at how this team is current comprised, after this game, I want to look harder at the QB position. Brady has not won a big game since 2007, and we lost the biggest of them. We have gone 0-2 in the postseason since. Even before 2007, 2006 we lost in the AFCCG. We haven't won a SB in some time. I know it's not all Brady's fault, but after what we witnessed today, I couldn't help but think if we had a QB even with a decent set of legs who could scramble and run, the Jets D would have been playing us much, much different. I couldn't count how many times Brady had 10-15 yards of running room in front of him if he just tucked it and ran.

Is it getting close to considering taking a QB with a 1st round pick? Not this year for sure, but what about if we can get into the top of the draft next or the year after? What about a possibly trade? Before you all cruxify me, think long and hard at what we have done lately with TB. Don't let the first 5 years tarnish the facts of the last 5. THoughts and mud-slinging begin.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15***:
    [QUOTE]If you want to call that the bright side of a shocking and disapointing, loss, I'm with you. I'm going to throw something out here that most people will probably Puk3 when they read. Before I do so, I just want to state that I have been a Pats diehard fan for the last 30+ years. No waivering ever, not even in the thin years. Hence my screen name, "PatsLifer". But, when I look at how this team is current comprised, after this game, I want to look harder at the QB position. Brady has not won a big game since 2007, and we lost the biggest of them. We have gone 0-2 in the postseason since. Even before 2007, 2006 we lost in the AFCCG. We haven't won a SB in some time. I know it's not all Brady's fault, but after what we witnessed today, I couldn't help but think if we had a QB even with a decent set of legs who could scramble and run, the Jets D would have been playing us much, much different. I couldn't count how many times Brady had 10-15 yards of running room in front of him if he just tucked it and ran. Is it getting close to considering taking a QB with a 1st round pick? Not this year for sure, but what about if we can get into the top of the draft next or the year after? What about a possibly trade? Before you all cruxify me, think long and hard at what we have done lately with TB. Don't let the first 5 years tarnish the facts of the last 5. THoughts and mud-slinging begin.
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

A few more years until that.....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

patslifer, dude, sober up.  Brady didnt drop that late pass that hit Branch in the hands.  Same with some other plays.  He also didnt give up 28 points.  He is still the best QB there is and a future HOFer.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sydpat. Show sydpat's posts

Faucet and MB ............

Now that I've nearly shot the dog and ripped most of my hair out I would like you to give your thoughts on what you would do now if you were BB, particularly after the devastation of today.

Why can't we produce when we have to? so frustrating.

Who should go, who should stay (bearing in mind salaries and contracts) and what moves in the draft and free agency should we make.

I trust your judgement better that those actually running the scouting system at the Pats.

Does todays' shambles change your opinions in any way?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]If you want to call that the bright side of a shocking and disapointing, loss, I'm with you. I'm going to throw something out here that most people will probably Puk3 when they read. Before I do so, I just want to state that I have been a Pats diehard fan for the last 30+ years. No waivering ever, not even in the thin years. Hence my screen name, "PatsLifer". But, when I look at how this team is current comprised, after this game, I want to look harder at the QB position. Brady has not won a big game since 2007, and we lost the biggest of them. We have gone 0-2 in the postseason since. Even before 2007, 2006 we lost in the AFCCG. We haven't won a SB in some time. I know it's not all Brady's fault, but after what we witnessed today, I couldn't help but think if we had a QB even with a decent set of legs who could scramble and run, the Jets D would have been playing us much, much different. I couldn't count how many times Brady had 10-15 yards of running room in front of him if he just tucked it and ran. Is it getting close to considering taking a QB with a 1st round pick? Not this year for sure, but what about if we can get into the top of the draft next or the year after? What about a possibly trade? Before you all cruxify me, think long and hard at what we have done lately with TB. Don't let the first 5 years tarnish the facts of the last 5. THoughts and mud-slinging begin.
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]
    Secretly I ask the question myself but I would never admit that publicly.  It is too soon to get rid of our Babe Ruth of Football.  But I hinted that a trade to CAR for their #1 in 2012 for their #33 this year would be interesting because we could come back and get Luck next year.  Luck could learn all the nuances for 1-2 years about being the best pocket passer of all time, and, oh by the way, Luck can run.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

syd,

It does.  I think we need better WRs.  The ones we have, other than Welker who opened his damn mouth and shot us in the foot, we don't have anyone elite.  If Watt is gone and Jones is there, it's a no brainer.  We also need Bodden back.  That pass up the middle that went for a million yards right after we scored in the 3rd has to be stopped; which doesn't speak well for Meriweather either.

Our D is the youngest in the NFL.  They will get better but we are missing that force at Safety (a la Rodney Harrison) who, by his mere presence, causes opposing receivers to hear footsteps and drop passes in fear.  We are missing a pass rush and a dominant DL outside Wilfork.  I sometimes think we should abandon the 3-4 until we have better personnel.  Spikes, when out there was SLOW; instinctive, but terribly slow.  The D imploded today and the O was lost.  I don't hang it all on Brady or the receivers, Rex out coached us today.  I freakin' hate saying it, but he did.  BB needs some real coordinators who can coach better than what we saw today.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]patslifer, dude, sober up.  Brady didnt drop that late pass that hit Branch in the hands.  Same with some other plays.  He also didnt give up 28 points.  He is still the best QB there is and a future HOFer.
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon[/QUOTE]

Thanks Mordecai but that pass was not in Branch's hands. It seemed to me to be thrown behind him, and Branch had to do a good bit of stretching to pull it in...but again, just my perception.

I know Brady is still one of the best QB's in the game. And, i probably wouldn't cash him in for anyone at this point, but my point is the last 3 playoff loses have a lot to do with him, but so does going 14-2 this season. As great as he is, I get a sick feeling in my stomach to think that one of the best of all time, the guy that is supposed to be absolutely clutch come big game time, has had no so stellar post season efforts for the past 3 post season games.

Anyhow...if this game did anything for me, it's helped me think a bit more clearly about the draft. I am convinced we need to put some serious effort in improving both the DL and OL, taking a WR fairly high, and another CB. I am really leaning on using our first 4 picks and not trading...DL, OL, WR, CB. I want to see us draft for these positions specifically with our first 4 picks. 

Watching the last few games, including tonight, I'm convinced Tate is not the answer at WR and possibly not even as a KR. I'm ready to draft his replacement next year. The DL is a bit more dicey because we have several players who should be back next year that were hurt. I think this defnese is very different with TWarren, Pryor, Wright and Brace all healthy and playing. Not as much concerned with the line, but still would like to see a significant upgrade. OL we all know needs improvement. I don't know where Connolly was today, but he wasn't blocking. I don't think he is a starting RG right now, and if Mankins leaves, that means we need 2. CB...we all saw Butler give up that long pass to Edwards. He and Arrington are not starting caliber CB's on our team. Both are nickel/dime CB's at best. 

Perhaps I am being a bit too harsh because of the loss tonight, but I think we saw a lot of deficiencies across the board. Perhaps some of these were camoflauged throughout the year, but tonight inthe biggest game of the year, they were exposed.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]syd, It does.  I think we need better WRs.  The ones we have, other than Welker who opened his damn mouth and shot us in the foot, we don't have anyone elite.  If Watt is gone and Jones is there, it's a no brainer.  We also need Bodden back.  That pass up the middle that went for a million yards right after we scored in the 3rd has to be stopped; which doesn't speak well for Meriweather either. Our D is the youngest in the NFL.  They will get better but we are missing that force at Safety (a la Rodney Harrison) who, by his mere presence, causes opposing receivers to hear footsteps and drop passes in fear.  We are missing a pass rush and a dominant DL outside Wilfork.  I sometimes think we should abandon the 3-4 until we have better personnel.  Spikes, when out there was SLOW; instinctive, but terribly slow.  The D imploded today and the O was lost.  I don't hang it all on Brady or the receivers, Rex out coached us today.  I freakin' hate saying it, but he did.  BB needs some real coordinators who can coach better than what we saw today.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

Amen on the WR point. I made that point just after you did. I agree with you. If Julio Jones is there at #17, and Watt is gone, I'm grabbing Julio. Upgrade and starting WR solved.

The 4 positions I want to see drafted high are DL, OL, WR and CB. No particular order, just give me the best available where we are picking that fit our scheme.
    again, I think our DL looks very different with everyone healthy, but upgrade and finding that DE we needs is an imperative.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriot-fan-74. Show patriot-fan-74's posts

[QUOTE]syd, It does.  I think we need better WRs.  The ones we have, other than Welker who opened his damn mouth and shot us in the foot, we don't have anyone elite.  If Watt is gone and Jones is there, it's a no brainer.  We also need Bodden back.  That pass up the middle that went for a million yards right after we scored in the 3rd has to be stopped; which doesn't speak well for Meriweather either. Our D is the youngest in the NFL.  They will get better but we are missing that force at Safety (a la Rodney Harrison) who, by his mere presence, causes opposing receivers to hear footsteps and drop passes in fear.  We are missing a pass rush and a dominant DL outside Wilfork.  I sometimes think we should abandon the 3-4 until we have better personnel.  Spikes, when out there was SLOW; instinctive, but terribly slow.  The D imploded today and the O was lost.  I don't hang it all on Brady or the receivers, Rex out coached us today.  I freakin' hate saying it, but he did.  BB needs some real coordinators who can coach better than what we saw today.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]
    as far as speaking about this game, our clock management was horrible. No hurry-up until it was basicly to late. There was like 8 minutes left and we were down 2 scores and just taking forever to move the ball. It is so frustrating to watch that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Not his best game, but Brady just threw for almost 300 yards and 2 TD's (with a potential 3rd being dropped by Crumpler), while completing 64.4% of his passes on a night where his receivers created little separation, forcing him to repeatedly go through read after read after read after read to try and locate an open guy, not to mention the 5 sacks, and of course BB now has to start searching for better options.   Sounds like an emotional response to a tough loss, let's be serious.

They simply didn't execute during key points in the game (i.e. Crumpler's TD drop, Chung's botched punt fake, the 4th down play late in the game, blame Brady or Branch but the ball was catchable, 3rd down D, redzone D, allowing Cromartie a large return on the 1st onside kick) and NY was able to capitalize.  It was one game, unfortunately this type of performance came at the worst possible time.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctpat7. Show ctpat7's posts

I agree with mb. Brady is not the problem. It does seem as though he is missing the magic in clutch moments, but he is still the mvp of the league. I hope he comes through down the road and puts these past performances behind him because he really was automatic in crunch time in the past.

Nevertheless, this off-season needs to blend the solid young core with both free agent and draft talent. My to do list.

1) resign mankins- young and nasty lineman
    2) sea bass takes over at left tackle and draft a right tackle (with late 1st or early second round pick)
    3) sign champ bailey and use him as a safety to pair with chung (trade merriweather)
    a secondary with bodden, mccourty, bailey and chung would provide a mix of youth, experience and leadership this secondary has not seen in some time.
    4) use 17th pick in 1st round on best d-lineman or olb.
    5) draft olb or dl with remaining late 1st or early second round pick

I still believe this team will be better served to continue to focus on the defense. I think they can still put up a ton of points with brady and the weapons he currently has. In fact, with woody, bjge in the backfield, the young tight ends and price and tate there is a lot of young talent that hopefully gets better with age.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Faucet and MB ............ Now that I've nearly shot the dog and ripped most of my hair out I would like you to give your thoughts on what you would do now if you were BB, particularly after the devastation of today. Why can't we produce when we have to? so frustrating. Who should go, who should stay (bearing in mind salaries and contracts) and what moves in the draft and free agency should we make. I trust your judgement better that those actually running the scouting system at the Pats. Does todays' shambles change your opinions in any way?
    Posted by sydpat[/QUOTE]

syd,
    I'll start by saying, while this loss was tough to handle, it was only 1/17 of the season which is how I think BB will view it when he's going through his year end review with coaches and personnel staff in determining how they'll improve the team for 2011.

IMO, the areas below (in no particular order) represent the biggest room for improvement.

The Secondary- They need to upgrade their ability to cover and tackle in the secondary.  They are too boom/bust IMO as they lead the NFL with 25 INT's (which masked a lot of issues) however they were beat for a ton of yards through the air (30th in the NFL) and while a portion of this can be attributed to teams playing catch up while they're in prevent, they still have a lot of problems matching up as they're 24th in the league in completion % against (63.5), 21st in YPA against (7.1) and 21 in TD's against (25) .  The return of Bodden should help, but I think an upgrade in talent is needed.

The Defensive Line- This team was ravaged by injuries up front, losing Ty Warren to start the year and Wright/Brace/Pryor towards the end.  They essentially had a 7th rounder and URFA (Deadrick/Love) starting last nights game, which is not ideal when facing a team the caliber of NY.  Even at full strength, I still believe an injection of youth and talent is needed as Warren will be 30 and has missed 23 games over the last 3 years (17 in 2010 and 3 each in 2008 and 2009), Gerard Warren is gonna be 33 and will be a FA and outside of Wilfork, there is really no impact talent at the position.

Wide Receiver- Branch and Welker are the known commodities and I'd have to think that Taylor Price isn't going anywhere, though the rest of this unit leaves a lot to be desired.  Tate is really in his first year but has been inconsistent (prob more of a 4th receiver, IMO), Edelman has flashed but has a hard time getting on the field and again is inconsistent and Slater is a ST only guy.  That leaves potentially two roster spots (Edelman/Slater, assuming Branch is back) that could be targeted for an upgrade. 

Outside Linebacker- I think Cunningham is a solid player and will continue to develop however Nink, TBC and Moore are what they are, IMO.  Decent roster depth that really shouldn't see the bulk of your defensive snaps at the position.  I think all three represent area's to upgrade the roster, talent on D.

As for the OL, a lot depends on what they do with Mankins, Light, Neal and Koppen as the first two are FA's (Mankins could be franchised), Neal is injury prone and Koppen is scheduled to become a FA in 2012. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I am sick to my stomach, that was just a terrible game plan and a great on by the Jets.

The weaknesses at FS, CB, OLB, DEs and OL were at their worse.  I hope there are two OLBs that can run drafted or 1 via FA and another drafted.  Wish we could make doubles of VW but that's not happening.  I know there are a ton of Merri fans out there but I trully hope I don't have to see another year of him in a Pats uniform which I think we won't.  With McGowan and others coming back from IR Merri hope is traded.

The OL was man handled, as a team it was terrible play but worse the Jets game plan will be copied by other teams.  They don't have star people that you can say other teams don't have, it was a scheme driving game plan with good players not great which other teams can duplicate.

So with all that been said I hope the draft goes down this way:

17 - JJ Watt DE 6'6" 292Big power house that has been talked about her, problem is if he puts up big numbers at offseason workouts he could be gone by 17.
    28 - Anthony Castonzo OT 6'7" 308 Even if Light returns Castonzo is the RT of the future and adds good depth.
    33 - Mike Pouncey OL 6'4" 310Another non sexy pick but a much needed one, he can play both C or G.  If Mankins returns Pouncey will compete with Connolly or Koppen for playing time.
    56 - Mark Herzlich OLB 6'4" 245 What's not to like about this kid, I'm also under the believe he'll return to pre cancer form.  He is an instinctive LB which we need.  Won't give the pass rush but is probably the best cover LB day 1.
    74 - Christian Ballard DE 6'4" 298  Depth to the DL is key, G. Warren ran out gas late in the season and with injury concerns around other players having two young aggressive athletic DL is something missing in 2010.  Ballard has a great first step and can play DE or DT is subpackages to rush from inside.
    92 - Tyler Sash S 6'1" 210 One of the better cover safeties in college that's not to say he is also physical against the run which he is.  A sure tackler, great instincts and quickness.
    124 - Curtis Marsh CB 6'0" 195 A converted RB has been openning eyes, he held Titus Young to 4 catches for 34 yards.  He has a ton of upside and can play both inside in the slot or outside.  Good size and speed, physical CB that should get better with time.
    156 - Markus White OLB/DE 6'4" 262 Can rush the passer, while he develops into a 3 down OLB he will be the sub package and base passing down rusher.  Great speed, none stop motor and a leader.
    184 - Andrew Jackson OG 6'6" 295 Probably needs to develop for a year but plays with an attitude, uses great technic with also the athleticism to pull. 

Would like to get a RB but I think they will sign an UDFA at that position.  WR is another that I don't know what they would do with their current roster.  There are some good FAs coming out so don't think they'll draft another WR, might get a few UDFAs in see what happens.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]I am sick to my stomach, that was just a terrible game plan and a great on by the Jets. The weaknesses at FS, CB, OLB, DEs and OL were at their worse.  I hope there are two OLBs that can run drafted or 1 via FA and another drafted.  Wish we could make doubles of VW but that's not happening.  I know there are a ton of Merri fans out there but I trully hope I don't have to see another year of him in a Pats uniform which I think we won't.  With McGowan and others coming back from IR Merri hope is traded. The OL was man handled, as a team it was terrible play but worse the Jets game plan will be copied by other teams.  They don't have star people that you can say other teams don't have, it was a scheme driving game plan with good players not great which other teams can duplicate. So with all that been said I hope the draft goes down this way: 17 - JJ Watt DE 6'6" 292 Big power house that has been talked about her, problem is if he puts up big numbers at offseason workouts he could be gone by 17. 28 - Anthony Castonzo OT 6'7" 308  Even if Light returns Castonzo is the RT of the future and adds good depth. 33 - Mike Pouncey OL 6'4" 310 Another non sexy pick but a much needed one, he can play both C or G.  If Mankins returns Pouncey will compete with Connolly or Koppen for playing time. 56 - Mark Herzlich OLB 6'4" 245   What's not to like about this kid, I'm also under the believe he'll return to pre cancer form.  He is an instinctive LB which we need.  Won't give the pass rush but is probably the best cover LB day 1. 74 - Christian Ballard DE 6'4" 298   Depth to the DL is key, G. Warren ran out gas late in the season and with injury concerns around other players having two young aggressive athletic DL is something missing in 2010.  Ballard has a great first step and can play DE or DT is subpackages to rush from inside. 92 - Tyler Sash S 6'1" 210 One of the better cover safeties in college that's not to say he is also physical against the run which he is.  A sure tackler, great instincts and quickness. 124 - Curtis Marsh CB 6'0" 195 A converted RB has been openning eyes, he held Titus Young to 4 catches for 34 yards.  He has a ton of upside and can play both inside in the slot or outside.  Good size and speed, physical CB that should get better with time. 156 - Markus White OLB/DE 6'4" 262 Can rush the passer, while he develops into a 3 down OLB he will be the sub package and base passing down rusher.  Great speed, none stop motor and a leader. 184 - Andrew Jackson OG 6'6" 295  Probably needs to develop for a year but plays with an attitude, uses great technic with also the athleticism to pull.  Would like to get a RB but I think they will sign an UDFA at that position.  WR is another that I don't know what they would do with their current roster.  There are some good FAs coming out so don't think they'll draft another WR, might get a few UDFAs in see what happens.
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

I think you nailed the weakness very well. I too would like to see Meriweather traded. That long catch by Cotchery last night was in part on him..again taking bad angles. How he makes the probowl is anyone's guess.

Given so many 3-4 teams, I can't see Watt making it to 17, but I'm hopeful.
    I like the Costonzo and Pouncey picks as I think they upgrade our line considerably. Just not sure we grab OL talent with both 28 and 33...I can see one of those spots going to the OL and possibly the other to the DL or OLB positions. I also like most of your other picks. It will interesting what they do with the current LB's/DE's on the roster. If Fletcher, TBC, Moore will return?

Curiously enough, I didn't see any WR's on your list. I have this position as a area of weakness as well. I think if Watts is not there at 17, we should go ahead and grab Julio Jones if he is there...or possibly address the WR via FA..OchoCinco anyone?. Use 28 on Costonzo or Pouncy, and 33 on Houston if he is there, or vice versa. Imperative to sign either Light or Mankins or preferably both for next year.

Question on Herzlich....Does anyone at this point think he is a starting OLB, or can be day 1 for the Pats? Because this is what we will need. TBC, Nink are good for depth. We need a starting caliber OLB day 1.

I'm hopeful that if we have a good draft like this last year, this team will be back in a position to challenge next year. I guess this will keep us going in the offseason.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

I just hope we use all 3 picks.

RB
    OL
    DE

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Further to my last post.....If Watt is not hanging around at 17, 2 more names I would add to my list of good DL prospects are Stephen Paea and Corey Liuget. Each are over 300 lbs, but Liuget is 2 inches taller than Paea at 6'3", 300 lbs, Paea at 6'1", 310lbs.  

I think Liuget's size might squeek him into our discussion for the 3-4 DE spot, and he should be able to be had at the bottom of round 1.

MB/anyone else...have you done any analysis on Liuget and Paea and what do you think about each of them in our 3-4 DE spot?

How do each compare to Brace, Wright, Pryor?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sydpat. Show sydpat's posts

Faucet and MB

Can you or someone else explain to me why both Wes Welker and Tom Brady have both come out and said that because the Jets usually plan man to man coverage which also includes plenty of blitzes, there was confusion when the Jets changed to zone and dropping back players in coverage.

HELLO aren't they coached to change calls etc by reading defences......isn't that what Tom has been good at for years. Do we have the players to read this.
    If not they shouldn't accept their pay cheques.

The OL worries me greatly. Jets send only three or four against five OL and two TE blockers and still have Brady running for cover. You serious.

I had a premonition that Algae Crumpler would be a dark horse for a reception but not to be used as much as he was. Where was Hernandez? He is a nightmare matchup for defence.

When LT scored I saw Gary Guyton put his hand up to say I have him covered , moved across and arrived late. He is supposed to have real speed for an ILB.
    We don't intimidate teams with our tackles and need a big hitter like Suggs, Lewis or the Steelers line backers.

Sorry to sound critical but it is annoying that we can't produce the same performance when it counts.

Could also get into play calling at critical times. Last quarter was a joke with time management and not passing.

Do you now think RB is a high need. Jets weren't worried about ours.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I'm going to do something a bit different this year.  Instead of just using a half dozen or so draft boards to develop my own using averages and statistics I'm going to include TEAM NEEDS as a key input to rank players.  I will refine this leading up to the draft as more data comes in and free agency moves effect this.  I've already set my board with 133 top players which I will grow to 250 as time goes on.  I've already given this a quick look and here are some observations.  The below chart shows the "Action" or the number of new starters teams need and the number of quality players available in my top 133 (which will grow).

Based on the below chart we can expect to see a lot of early "action" at QB, TE, OT, OG, C, OLB, ILB, SS and FS.  Conversely, there will be less action, so more quality depth that can be had later in the draft then where a player should rank at RB, WR, and DT.  There is just about enough talent for need at DE, CB, P, and K.  I will refine the below to account for 34 and 43 teams for DT, DE and OLB.  If the Pats are smart, they will use a chart like this and perhaps get their OT, OG and OLB pretty early on while waiting on RB and WR.

PositionActionAvailable
    QB127
    RB1016
    WR916
    TE94
    OT1813
    OG218
    C93
    K01
    DE1613
    DT1115
    OLB2011
    ILB115
    SS184
    FS112
    CB1514
    P01
    Total190133

I also looked at the positions were the need is dire.  There are 4 teams in dire need of an upgrade at QB IMO, they are Buffalo, Tennessee, Washington and Arizona.  All four teams pick before our 17.  The Raiders and Lions have dire needs at CB, so I look for those teams to fill those needs the first chance they get. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

#17 - Offensive Coordinator

#28 - A WR that can get separation and Catch the F'in Ball.

#33 - An  OLB that can actually apply constant pressure.

#56 - An ILB that can actually cover the middle of the field.

Sections
Shortcuts