2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15***

Did some of you watch a different game than me?  Hey, I'm not a huge Matt Light or Dan Koppen fan but Brady had time to throw.  He had hours to throw on some plays.  Our receivers weren't getting open.  Other than 1-2 plays, Branch was completely taken out of the game by Revis (which he does to everyone) so it was a 10 on 10 game.  The slot was extremely well covered, it didn't matter if it was Welker, Hernandez or Edelman in there.  Gronkowski was our best match up and we didn't exploit it enough.  The real problem out there was Tate.  He is not a #2 quality WR.  He's a kick returner only and after a couple early season TD returns, he was pretty quiet doing that.

Tate wasn't a featured WR in college, why should we expect him to be now?  Going back to the line, it is built with smallish, fast guys that can get out on the screens and block down field.  They are too small to stand up long against big DLs.  The Steelers are built to run the football first, pass second.  If the Steelers win the SB they would have won 3 of the last 6 with their formula.

We all love Brady but he is one dimensional, he's a pure pocket passer.  Defenses know they don't have to keep an extra player near the LOS because Brady isn't going anywhere.  We need to start transitioning our OL, IMO, to a run first line.  Brady won't be around forever so we need to be able to run to set up the pass, not the other way around.  The Jets never bit on Brady's play action, they'd rather see us run it and pick up 2-3 yards.

If we look at our offense, it was the best in the league at putting points on the board.  Retaining Mankins is key, but if we don't, I don't care who we draft, we will have a weaker OL next year.  We all like our TEs, RBs and QB.  We can improve our OL if we tag and/or sign Mankins, draft Wisniewski to take over for either Koppen or Connolly as he is the best C/OG in the draft and could be the next Mankins.  I think we should say goodbye to Light and move Vollmer over and draft a new RT at the 60 or 74 spot.  The other improvement to the O is at WR, a ligit #2 threat.  If we plan to get another year out of Branch, then I would prefer a tall, physical threat who can block downfield and out muscle for the ball.  Did you all see Revis out muscle Branch and take the ball away from him?  We also need to add a pair of RBs for depth.  I'd like one big SOB that just comes in on short yardage, maybe a John Clay in the 5th or Keith Payne as an UDFA.

In short, we have to keep Mankins. 
    Then draft Wisniewski at 28 or 33 (if we miss out on him), I wouldn't take Pouncey, I'd hold off at OG until 74 or 90 and get Schilling, Moffitt or draft an OT that we move to guard, DeMarcus Love, Danny Watkins, Marcus Cannon or Marcus Gilbert.  All of these guys are 6-4 to 6-5, 310 to 350 and can move for their size.
    There's a Center I like in the 5th, Jake Kirkpatrick.
    For RT, I'd look at Chris Hairston in the 4th.  Or, we use our 17 and draft a pure LT, either Solder, Carimi or Castonzo.  They are the only 3 I'd want and the action on them could be high once we get to Dallas at #9.  Dallas at #9, and Washington at #10 are both very needy OT teams.  If they address other needs, then the next OT needy team is us at #17. But the Giants at 19, Chiefs at 21 and Colts at 22 all have OT as their biggest need so trading down won't work.  Thinking we can address LT at 28, is a dream because Seattle at 25 and Baltimore at 26 also have OT as their highest need.  If we thrown Sherrod and Tyron Smith into the mix, maybe one is there at 28, but I don't like either, both are too short and undersized IMO.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15***:
    [QUOTE]Hey Faucet, I'm really coming around on Watt and he's moving up my board but I still think he's a player that will go in either the 10-20 range or the 30-35 range and I can't put my finger on where he's going to fall. It all depends on those 10-15 picks really. However, if he was there at 17 I would not be disappointed to grab him then anymore. We have to fix our pass rush and OL in the first 2 picks this year. with the 33rd pick we could get incredible value trading it so I think we'll actually use both picks this year (mainly because the value at #17 is going to be worth taking and #28 will be hard to trade out of). I'm thinking at #17 it's going to end up being Watt, Kerrigan, or Jordan. At least one of them should make it to #17 At #28 they might continue with the rush improvement or grab someone at the line. My feeling is if there isn't a run on T's he'll grab one. At #28 imo it will be either Castonzo, Houston, Wisniewski, Cannon, Barksdale, Sherrod, or Wilkerson (I think he has a ton of talent but might be to high at this pick) At #33 it will be traded back. I'm thinking either a mid to late 2nd with a 2nd next year or a very late 2nd or early 3rd and a 1st next year. At #60 they continue to revamp both lines and go with either Darius Morris, Solder, Alex Linnenkohl, Sione Fua (classic late 2nd "reach" pick for the Pats on a high talented little known prospect), Wilkerson (but I doubt he'll still be there)  With the traded back pick they go with depth at either WR, S, RB imo. The one's who should be there would be Jeron Johnson, Nate Williams, Daniel Thomas, DeMarco Murray, Austin Pettis, or Dwayne Harris At #74 they trade into the 2nd next year Finally to cap off the 3rd at #92 they trade back getting a couple later rounds picks and maybe a 4th next year too. They use their late picks to cast a wide net on OL and skill positions and hope they hit gold late. But that's just how I'm thinking right now
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]
    IDK.  I'm looking at the board, team needs and positional depth.  As I just mentioned, to land an elite LT, we would need to use 17.  None of the OTs are really top 10 talents, but there are 5 that are first round worthy.  The demand on OTs is really high this year with 18 teams needing a starter.  The Bills (3) and Cardinals (5) have QB as their highest need and both could and should go that route, but the Bengals (4) have OT as their biggest need along with DE.  The will likely not reach for an OT when they can take Dareus.  The Browns (6) have OT as a high need but they also have 5 other positions at the same level of need.  AJ Green to the Browns at 6 looks a lock.  The next two teams are set at OT then as I mentioned Dallas (9) and Washington (10) have huge OT needs.  It will depend if Dallas sees a DE it likes better (Quinn perhaps).  Washington is desparate for a QB but so is Tennessee (8). 

If top 10 teams all pass on OTs, then we should have our pick of them at 17 as none of the teams between 11-16 will draft an OT this high.  If you look at DE action, it is promising for Watt to make it to 17.  Fairley and Dareus don't get out of the top 5.  There is huge depth in the draft for 43 DEs so that takes the pressure off Watt who can play either scheme.  Teams needing DE help are CLE (6), DAL (9), MIN (12), and JAX (16).  Hopefully Dallas will either take Quinn, if he's there, or take one of the OTs.  Minnesota could be looking at more of a pass rushing DE so they could go Kerrigan.  That brings us to JAX at 16.  They are a huge threat for Watt.  Their other needs tha equal their need at DE are QB, TE, ILB, FS, and SS.  The top QBs should be gone, there aren't any S worthy of 16 so it comes down to Rudolph or Watt.  We might want to pick up the phone and call Miami.  Their top need is by far RB followed by QB and C/OG.  there is no risk of the Jags at 16 spoiling Miami's plans.  I'm not sure how amicable they would be to help us land Watt though so we might have to reach out to the Lions (13) or Rams (14).  The Lions need a CB very BADLY, so much so, they might be moving up to get Amukamara as the Texans (11) need a CB.  The Rams need a WR and Julio Jones should slip to them so I don't think they move back either.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

One thing to look at Faucet is that there are a number of teams that could use a T but most of them are in the top 15. As you mentioned T isn't an area were there is any clear top 15 T so someone would need to be desperate to draft one that early and I just don't see it happening. I see QB, WR, DL, and CB being the biggest runs early in the draft before someone grabs a OL. But, once a OL goes I can see a small run as there really is a slight seperation from Costanzo, Sherrod, Barksdale being the top and Morris, Camiri, Solder, Love, and Reynolds really being more in the 2-3 round range. Most of the top 10 teams I think are looking at the second tier and might figure that all of them are going to make it to the top of the 2nd so the real question becomes how big of a difference are those second tier players from the top 3? And for me there isn't enough to spend a top 15 on a T when you can fill another need with better talent levels.

Now between 15-28 is where I'd expect the first T to go and looking at the teams in that position would be the Pats, KC, SD, Colts, Giants, Sea.

KC is in real trouble on the D side, they need help in both LB positions, DL, and FS. I see them taking a DE or LB before trying to fix the OL.

SD imo will lose Floyd and Jackson this off-season and will be looking at Baldwin to replace them.

Colts are the Colts and depending on how negotiations go with Manning they will either grab a T to protect him or they might try to get help in positions they were really hurting this year namely WR/CB. I see them going CB

Giants really need T help and imo will be the first to grab a T in this draft

Sea is a wild card since they need everything. I'm thinking they take the best player available. Don't be surprised if Newton is there they grab him just to get a name and get their fan base excited again

Just looking down the board I think 1 if not 2 T's will be taken before #28 so if Kerrigan, Watt, or Jordan aren't at #17 then I could see us trying to trade back to the early mid 20's and grabbing a T there. I just feel that at least 1 of the top 3 T's will still be there before we pick at #28 and truthfully I actually want either Barksdale or Morris this year and Morris will be there in the 2nd round and I think Barksdale will go in the later 1st so I just think the best value would be to grab a T no early then #25 wither that be from trading #17 back on just sitting pretty at #28.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Did some of you watch a different game than me?  Hey, I'm not a huge Matt Light or Dan Koppen fan but Brady had time to throw.  He had hours to throw on some plays.  Our receivers weren't getting open.  Other than 1-2 plays, Branch was completely taken out of the game by Revis (which he does to everyone) so it was a 10 on 10 game.  The slot was extremely well covered, it didn't matter if it was Welker, Hernandez or Edelman in there.  Gronkowski was our best match up and we didn't exploit it enough.  The real problem out there was Tate.  He is not a #2 quality WR.  He's a kick returner only and after a couple early season TD returns, he was pretty quiet doing that. Tate wasn't a featured WR in college, why should we expect him to be now?  Going back to the line, it is built with smallish, fast guys that can get out on the screens and block down field.  They are too small to stand up long against big DLs.  The Steelers are built to run the football first, pass second.  If the Steelers win the SB they would have won 3 of the last 6 with their formula. We all love Brady but he is one dimensional, he's a pure pocket passer.  Defenses know they don't have to keep an extra player near the LOS because Brady isn't going anywhere.  We need to start transitioning our OL, IMO, to a run first line.  Brady won't be around forever so we need to be able to run to set up the pass, not the other way around.  The Jets never bit on Brady's play action, they'd rather see us run it and pick up 2-3 yards. If we look at our offense, it was the best in the league at putting points on the board.  Retaining Mankins is key, but if we don't, I don't care who we draft, we will have a weaker OL next year.  We all like our TEs, RBs and QB.  We can improve our OL if we tag and/or sign Mankins, draft Wisniewski to take over for either Koppen or Connolly as he is the best C/OG in the draft and could be the next Mankins.  I think we should say goodbye to Light and move Vollmer over and draft a new RT at the 60 or 74 spot.  The other improvement to the O is at WR, a ligit #2 threat.  If we plan to get another year out of Branch, then I would prefer a tall, physical threat who can block downfield and out muscle for the ball.  Did you all see Revis out muscle Branch and take the ball away from him?  We also need to add a pair of RBs for depth.  I'd like one big SOB that just comes in on short yardage, maybe a John Clay in the 5th or Keith Payne as an UDFA. In short, we have to keep Mankins.  Then draft Wisniewski at 28 or 33 (if we miss out on him), I wouldn't take Pouncey, I'd hold off at OG until 74 or 90 and get Schilling, Moffitt or draft an OT that we move to guard, DeMarcus Love, Danny Watkins, Marcus Cannon or Marcus Gilbert.  All of these guys are 6-4 to 6-5, 310 to 350 and can move for their size. There's a Center I like in the 5th, Jake Kirkpatrick. For RT, I'd look at Chris Hairston in the 4th.  Or, we use our 17 and draft a pure LT, either Solder, Carimi or Castonzo.  They are the only 3 I'd want and the action on them could be high once we get to Dallas at #9.  Dallas at #9, and Washington at #10 are both very needy OT teams.  If they address other needs, then the next OT needy team is us at #17. But the Giants at 19, Chiefs at 21 and Colts at 22 all have OT as their biggest need so trading down won't work.  Thinking we can address LT at 28, is a dream because Seattle at 25 and Baltimore at 26 also have OT as their highest need.  If we thrown Sherrod and Tyron Smith into the mix, maybe one is there at 28, but I don't like either, both are too short and undersized IMO.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

Faucet,
    I'm curious why you wouldn't draft Pouncey?  He looks like a great fit for this offense as he possesses good size, strength, durability and versatility (could start at all three interior line positions), has good feet/mobility with the ability to block in space, moves well laterally, has a ton of experience, plays with a nasty side and is proven against the highest level of competition. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15*** : part-timer, do you really see Pick:28  Carimi OT(5th) (29 overall) 6'7" 327 5.12,  Pick 33: Mike Pouncey OG/C(1) (35 overall) 6'4" 310 5.29 Pick 74: Benjamin Ijalana OG (4) (75 overall) 6'4" 310 5.34 all just sitting there for us. doesn't anyone else want good o-linemen in the draft?
    Posted by cbdam[/QUOTE]

Have you looked at the draft board since the underclassmen have declared? The amount of high impact players runs well into the middle of the second round. The high Quality and quantity and high demand for DL's and LB's will consume near half the first round,and the skill possition players like QB,CB,WR,and RB will consume the bulk of the other half of the 1st rd.As far as Carimi he is rated 5th in OT's, But I see his as being the best suited overall in the Pats system. So yes I do expect him to be there at 28, if he isn't than Castonzo my second choice will be. At pick 33 we are guarenteed the best interior lineman on the board, so yes I do expect Pouncey to be our next C/OG. and finaly in the rest of the 2nd. and 3rd. rd. you have Hudson and Franklin rated higher than my pick Ijalana(who I see as a Better fit to our system. This added to the fact that many teams would rather pick up an OT in the much later rds. to convert to OG, makes me feel confident that yes we can pick up Carimi,Pouncey, and Ijalana within the first 74 picks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

[QUOTE]Did some of you watch a different game than me?  Hey, I'm not a huge Matt Light or Dan Koppen fan but Brady had time to throw.  He had hours to throw on some plays.  Our receivers weren't getting open.  Other than 1-2 plays, Branch was completely taken out of the game by Revis (which he does to everyone) so it was a 10 on 10 game.  The slot was extremely well covered, it didn't matter if it was Welker, Hernandez or Edelman in there.  Gronkowski was our best match up and we didn't exploit it enough.  The real problem out there was Tate.  He is not a #2 quality WR.  He's a kick returner only and after a couple early season TD returns, he was pretty quiet doing that. Tate wasn't a featured WR in college, why should we expect him to be now?  Going back to the line, it is built with smallish, fast guys that can get out on the screens and block down field.  They are too small to stand up long against big DLs.  The Steelers are built to run the football first, pass second.  If the Steelers win the SB they would have won 3 of the last 6 with their formula. We all love Brady but he is one dimensional, he's a pure pocket passer.  Defenses know they don't have to keep an extra player near the LOS because Brady isn't going anywhere.  We need to start transitioning our OL, IMO, to a run first line.  Brady won't be around forever so we need to be able to run to set up the pass, not the other way around.  The Jets never bit on Brady's play action, they'd rather see us run it and pick up 2-3 yards. If we look at our offense, it was the best in the league at putting points on the board.  Retaining Mankins is key, but if we don't, I don't care who we draft, we will have a weaker OL next year.  We all like our TEs, RBs and QB.  We can improve our OL if we tag and/or sign Mankins, draft Wisniewski to take over for either Koppen or Connolly as he is the best C/OG in the draft and could be the next Mankins.  I think we should say goodbye to Light and move Vollmer over and draft a new RT at the 60 or 74 spot.  The other improvement to the O is at WR, a ligit #2 threat.  If we plan to get another year out of Branch, then I would prefer a tall, physical threat who can block downfield and out muscle for the ball.  Did you all see Revis out muscle Branch and take the ball away from him?  We also need to add a pair of RBs for depth.  I'd like one big SOB that just comes in on short yardage, maybe a John Clay in the 5th or Keith Payne as an UDFA. In short, we have to keep Mankins.  Then draft Wisniewski at 28 or 33 (if we miss out on him), I wouldn't take Pouncey, I'd hold off at OG until 74 or 90 and get Schilling, Moffitt or draft an OT that we move to guard, DeMarcus Love, Danny Watkins, Marcus Cannon or Marcus Gilbert.  All of these guys are 6-4 to 6-5, 310 to 350 and can move for their size. There's a Center I like in the 5th, Jake Kirkpatrick. For RT, I'd look at Chris Hairston in the 4th.  Or, we use our 17 and draft a pure LT, either Solder, Carimi or Castonzo.  They are the only 3 I'd want and the action on them could be high once we get to Dallas at #9.  Dallas at #9, and Washington at #10 are both very needy OT teams.  If they address other needs, then the next OT needy team is us at #17. But the Giants at 19, Chiefs at 21 and Colts at 22 all have OT as their biggest need so trading down won't work.  Thinking we can address LT at 28, is a dream because Seattle at 25 and Baltimore at 26 also have OT as their highest need.  If we thrown Sherrod and Tyron Smith into the mix, maybe one is there at 28, but I don't like either, both are too short and undersized IMO.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/18/upgrading-line-play-tops-patriots-offseason-priorities/#comments

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I thought Baldwin decided to stay in school ? I know that Broyles isn't coming out early. I do see Dallas and Washington as well as Tennessee looking at QB's. so whatever their positions are look for potential matchups Mallett to Dallas if they go the QB route (Jerry Jones is a Arkansas alum,and he loves him some suey)however if they go OL he'll go for the number one guy and he'll probably start a positional run. I haven't taken into account the needs of other teams to this point in time. so I rely on those of you on this board too keep me abreast as to what other teams are thinking. So thanks to you all I'm better informed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

[QUOTE]I thought Baldwin decided to stay in school ? I know that Broyles isn't coming out early. I do see Dallas and Washington as well as Tennessee looking at QB's. so whatever their positions are look for potential matchups Mallett to Dallas if they go the QB route (Jerry Jones is a Arkansas alum,and he loves him some suey)however if they go OL he'll go for the number one guy and he'll probably start a positional run. I haven't taken into account the needs of other teams to this point in time. so I rely on those of you on this board too keep me abreast as to what other teams are thinking. So thanks to you all I'm better informed.
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/01/12/underclassmen-declaring-for-2011-draft

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOD. Show FOD's posts

[QUOTE]Not his best game, but Brady just threw for almost 300 yards and 2 TD's (with a potential 3rd being dropped by Crumpler), while completing 64.4% of his passes on a night where his receivers created little separation, forcing him to repeatedly go through read after read after read after read to try and locate an open guy, not to mention the 5 sacks, and of course BB now has to start searching for better options.   Sounds like an emotional response to a tough loss, let's be serious. They simply didn't execute during key points in the game (i.e. Crumpler's TD drop, Chung's botched punt fake, the 4th down play late in the game, blame Brady or Branch but the ball was catchable, 3rd down D, redzone D, allowing Cromartie a large return on the 1st onside kick) and NY was able to capitalize.  It was one game, unfortunately this type of performance came at the worst possible time.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]I thought Baldwin decided to stay in school ? I know that Broyles isn't coming out early. I do see Dallas and Washington as well as Tennessee looking at QB's. so whatever their positions are look for potential matchups Mallett to Dallas if they go the QB route (Jerry Jones is a Arkansas alum,and he loves him some suey)however if they go OL he'll go for the number one guy and he'll probably start a positional run. I haven't taken into account the needs of other teams to this point in time. so I rely on those of you on this board too keep me abreast as to what other teams are thinking. So thanks to you all I'm better informed.
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

Baldwin declared. He got some good advice that Floyd isn't declaring thinning out the top of the WR drafties, it might be his best shot at being taken with a higher pick. Right now he's behind Green and Jones in ranking but he'll most likely go top 20 which if Floyd declared it might have pushed him into the late 1st early 2nd.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOD. Show FOD's posts

I completely agree with MB.  There has'nt been any thrird down D since Seymore was traded.  It all starts with a pass rush and BB just does'nt seem to want to draft a potent pass rusher.  We all know that with a good rush you can almost have traffic pylons for S and Cb.  I'm kidding of course!  I love the idea of The safety Tate in the backfield, could be another Rodney, which we all know we really need.  I really think Merriwheather is gone if not this year, next year because it looked a few times this season that BB was fed up with him.  And what ded he really do after his fine.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOD. Show FOD's posts

Where were the Pats picked in preseason?  I believe either 2nd or 3rd in the division.  They had a great year considering the D played with somke and mirrors.  BB has to draft wisely this year with the picks he has but he probably will keep trading back.  He had agood draft last year but he needs a great draft this year.  Faucet's right, this is the year to get way ahead of the competishon.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

what about

Ryan Williams RB (Virginia Tech) 5’10” 210 he has little experience but the guy is a beast! maybe we could get him in the 2nd round? he is an everydown back! his only weakness i can see is his lack of experience catching the ball but that can be taught.

http://football.about.com/od/playerprofiles/p/Ryan-Williams.htm

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Nate I love Williams but with BB's history he'll trade at least 1 of those first 4 picks into next year and a mid-late round picks. Right now the OLine is looking at between a 40-80% turn over in the next 2 years and the biggest weakness we have on the team is pass rush. To get a pass rush going we will need Ty Warren back and a 3 down type end to play opposite. Brace, Pryor, and G Warren are great rotational players but they weren't able to free up the OLB's to rush and they couldn't effectively get the QB. I'm hoping that in the first 3 picks they replace one of the Olineman and fix the pass rush by getting a DE that can free up the OLB's and rush when needed to and a 3 down OLB that can drop back or rush the passer opposite Cunningham. I honestly believe with Bodden and Ty Warren back that we are only another DE and OLB away from being a top 10 D again.

Now with the RB yes we need another but it's been proven time and time again they don't need to be a round 1 or 2 pick to provide an effective rushing tandem. They just need to find one that fills a specific role.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]Did some of you watch a different game than me?  Hey, I'm not a huge Matt Light or Dan Koppen fan but Brady had time to throw.  He had hours to throw on some plays.  Our receivers weren't getting open.  Other than 1-2 plays, Branch was completely taken out of the game by Revis (which he does to everyone) so it was a 10 on 10 game.  The slot was extremely well covered, it didn't matter if it was Welker, Hernandez or Edelman in there.  Gronkowski was our best match up and we didn't exploit it enough.  The real problem out there was Tate.  He is not a #2 quality WR.  He's a kick returner only and after a couple early season TD returns, he was pretty quiet doing that. Tate wasn't a featured WR in college, why should we expect him to be now?  ...

i saw the same thing you saw, but have a different analysis and conclusion.

everyone expects nwe to pass in tough situations. the jets simply tried to get nwe to be in that situation the entire game. there was no credible threat of nwe barreling through the middle to grind out 3-5 yards a pop, so the naturally blitz-crazy team dropped back and implemented tight coverage to delay tb's release, giving their pass rush of 4-5 people get to tb.

nwe never seriously tried to disprove that. the game plan reflected lack of confidence on the OL's ability to tough it out for some runing yards between tackles, and it was exactly the kind of game that the jets expected.

i also saw the d giving up 4-7 yards through the middle.

overall my conclusion is lack of toughness at the LoS.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Well season's over, now we can start the draft talk...

Can somebody tell me the list of Patriot players that will be free agents after this season and possibly direct me to a decent (free) website that has the measurables of the draft prospects?  

Obviously the combine hasn't happened yet so these will all just be speculative stats, I'd love to find a site that doesn't charge to find out all the measurables from the combine after it happens?  These draft guides (Kipers et al) are all total rip offs...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15*** : Faucet, I'm curious why you wouldn't draft Pouncey?  He looks like a great fit for this offense as he possesses good size, strength, durability and versatility (could start at all three interior line positions), has good feet/mobility with the ability to block in space, moves well laterally, has a ton of experience, plays with a nasty side and is proven against the highest level of competition. 
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]
    If we drafted him, I'd be okay with it.  I just don't think he's as good as his brother.  He can't play center, that much we know.  So we are drafting him purely as an OG.  For me, I don't want to spend a top 33 pick on a one dimensional guy when I think Moffitt is likely just as good, purely as an OG, as Pouncey but could be had 40 spots or so lower.

I like Wisniewski better.  I love that he can play both C and OG at a very high level.  I love his pedigree.  I would be willing to go 28 or 33 on him.  I'm not hard set against Pouncey.  I'm just thinking he won't be as good as Mankins who we spent 32 on but I think Wisniewski could be and I love being able to slide him over to center when Koppen is done.  But for the record, I won't shed tears if we draft Pouncey at 28, I will just think we reached for him and could've gotten better value. 

Excellent question Mb.  You have me second guessing now.  I love Hudson too.  If we could take the man and put him in Pouncey's body, I'd take him at 17.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]Well season's over, now we can start the draft talk... Can somebody tell me the list of Patriot players that will be free agents after this season and possibly direct me to a decent (free) website that has the measurables of the draft prospects?   Obviously the combine hasn't happened yet so these will all just be speculative stats, I'd love to find a site that doesn't charge to find out all the measurables from the combine after it happens?  These draft guides (Kipers et al) are all total rip offs...
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]
    For research I always go to NFLDraftScout at the below link.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/TSX/2011

I don't always agree with their ratings but they do have a lot of good info.  My brother's site is good too as historically they do probably the best job of ranking in terms of where players actually get selected as anybody.  Here's their link.

http://cdsdraft.com/rankings/top-100/

Both sites are free.

As for Patriot free agents, here's the list. 

#PlayerPosCont
    1Gerard WarrenDT2010
    2Fred TaylorRB2010
    3Logan MankinsOG2010
    4Matt LightOT2010
    5Quinn OjinnakaOL2010
    6Sammy MorrisRB2010
    7Jarrod PageSS2010
    8BenJarvus Green-EllisRB2010
    9Ryan WendellOG2010
    10Kyle ArringtonCB2010
    11Tracy WhiteILB2010

Some of these guys are restricted like BJGE, Wendell and Arrington.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

i believe nwe has to rebuild the OL with a different offensive philosophy. i don't know anymore if a line of pass protect specialists (at least that's how the coaching staff is treating them) is going to cut it moving forward. maybe, they need bigger OLmen.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]i believe nwe has to rebuild the OL with a different offensive philosophy. i don't know anymore if a line of pass protect specialists (at least that's how the coaching staff is treating them) is going to cut it moving forward. maybe, they need bigger OLmen.
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE] I would be a happy camper if they drafted Nate Solder from Colorado but my guess is he won't make it to #17. So that leaves Costanzo and Carimi as far as top tier Tackles, the best two guards are Pouncey and Wiesneiwski,pick your poison as both could be available at 28. That would still leave the patriots with 4 more picks to draft whichever guys they like at whichever position they deem they need most. I'd guess that they really need a DE who can actually hold the edge and rush the passer followed shortly thereafter by a blitzing maniac at the OLB position,good luck finding that guy in this draft,Ayers seems like he might fill the bill. After that it becomes a hit or miss thing...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from gln826. Show gln826's posts

[QUOTE]Well season's over, now we can start the draft talk... Can somebody tell me the list of Patriot players that will be free agents after this season and possibly direct me to a decent (free) website that has the measurables of the draft prospects?   Obviously the combine hasn't happened yet so these will all just be speculative stats, I'd love to find a site that doesn't charge to find out all the measurables from the combine after it happens?  These draft guides (Kipers et al) are all total rip offs...
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]
    ------
    If you go to ESPN Boston dot com, there is a Patriot Blog which there is a contract length for every Patriot on the roster.  Mike Reiss and Mike Rodak (new) are the Bloggers most of the time.
    these players contracts expire for the 2010 season:
    CB Kyle Arrington
    S Josh Barrett
    RB Kevin Faulk
    K Shayne Graham
    RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis
    OL Matt Light
    OL Logan Mankins
    S Brandon McGowan
    RB Sammy Morris
    OL Quinn Ojinnaka
    S Jarrad Page
    RB Fred Taylor
    DL Gerard Warren
    LB Tracy White

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ejb222. Show ejb222's posts

Usually don't post links...but this was a pretty interesting draft article

http://www.patspulpit.com/2011/1/17/1939528/new-england-patriots-2011-draft-tactics

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

A lot of OL talk the last 20 posts or so, and deservedly so.

I think locking up Light for 2 more years is the key to our draft. My reasoning is top tier tackles are going to start coming off the board early to mid round 1. In order to get one, we'll have to use 17, or trade down, but use that pick on a top tier OT talent like some of the names mentioned here. I just don't see Solder, Castonzo or Carimi lasting until 28, but I guess I could be wrong. Those are probably the only 3 guys I would want protecting Brady's blind side if Vollmer doesn't slide over. If Vollmer is capable of sliding over to LT, then we could wait until round 2-3 to draft a RT..again, that gives us some flexibility.  

However, I think we all see some good talent at the C/G position at the end of round 1, beginning of round 2. Pouncy and Wiesnewski should be able to be had with our 28 pick. Could we draft a C/G later in the draft as well and still get good talent? I would say yes, but if Mankins is not signed I would think we would want a blue chipper in there to replace him, especially given the weaknesses we currently have on the interior of the OL...most namely Koppen getting long in the tooth, Neal on the brink of retirement and Connolly not Mankins caliber. That potentially gives us a very weak interior line. So, why not extend Light, wait another year to draft an LT/RT, and focus on building the interior of the line, where we don't necessarily have to resign Mankins nor use our 17 on the OL?

If we sign Light, we get a year reprieve, and could use 17 on Watt if he is there or someone else at another position of need.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]Usually don't post links...but this was a pretty interesting draft article http://www.patspulpit.com/2011/1/17/1939528/new-england-patriots-2011-draft-tactics
    Posted by ejb222[/QUOTE]

I read your article after I posted about suring up the interior of the OL, but I agree with this philosophy. Plus, have 2 quality TE's that can block helps to also protect and backup Vollmer and Light...again, the interior of the OL needs fixing this draft, and we wait until 2012 or later in the draft (round 3-5) to draft a RT if Light can't be extended and we need to move Vollmer over to LT.

25. This post has been removed.