2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15***

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15***:
    [QUOTE]Matchups to watch Scouts Inc.ESPN.com MOBILE, Ala. -- Now that the practices are over, here are some matchups to watch for at Saturday's Senior Bowl. North OT Nate Solder (Colorado) vs. South OLB Von Miller (Texas A&M) This won't be an every-down matchup with Miller playing OLB, but the South coaches will let him showcase what he does best and let him get after the QB. Solder has been the best offensive tackle here this week. We've been impressed with his power base as a run blocker and the way he's moved his feet as a pass blocker, but he hasn't faced an edge rusher as explosive as Miller yet. One of our concerns coming into the week with Solder is that he's shown an inconsistent kick step and he won't be able to get away with sloppy footwork against Miller. Solder, 6-foot-8¼ and 314 pounds, has nearly six inches and 77 pounds on Miller, who is 6-2⅜ and 237 pounds. The trick for Miller is to use his quickness with both his hands and his feet to prevent Solder from getting into his body. They are the two best players here and, as a talent evaluator, it doesn't get any better than a couple times we'll see them go head-to-head. North WR Titus Young (Boise State) vs. South CB Shareece Wright (USC) This has the North's quickest offensive skill player going up against the South's quickest defensive skill player. The big question here is can Wright show consistent technique and diagnostic skills to keep up with Young, who has proven to be a very difficult WR to match up against. Young runs crisp routes in the short-to-intermediate passing game. He seems to have the advantage in technical and mechanical areas. Wright has the quickest feet and most fluid hips of the South DBs and has the natural ability to hold his own in this matchup. But Young is a savvy and confident route runner and is capable of getting Wright turned around. Young can also Wright to open his hips before he should and taking advantage of him with double moves. Wright also has to be wary of making a mistake and letting Young catch the ball with a little separation or a crease because while Young isn't a burner, he gets up the field in a hurry. North RB Demarco Murray (Oklahoma) vs. South MLB Kelvin Sheppard (LSU) The biggest concern we have about Murray is that he runs high and doesn't have a thick base. He very quick to the hole, but doesn't have a second gear to get through and bounce it outside. Where Sheppard should excel is between the tackles. He put on weight and is better at taking on and shedding blockers. Sheppard should have no problems meeting Murray in the hole, stopping his momentum and getting him to the ground. He's been a very reliable tackler all week. Where Murray could have the advantage is in the passing game. Murray is the most complete pass-catching running back in this game. He's savvy with his routes and does a great job with fakes, sticking his routes, making tight cuts and he should create some separation against Sheppard, who has limitations in space. South OT Derek Sherrod (Miss State) vs. North DE Cameron Jordan (Cal) There were a lot of different views on Sherrod coming into this week, but it's now fairly evident he's in the second to third tier of tackles. He's big (6-5⅜ and 312 pounds), but he wasn't overpowering or pancaking guys like Solder or Wisconsin's Gabe Carimi . He does have good strength, but the biggest reason he's not among the upper tier of tackles is he has trouble shuffling his feet or resetting. He's just not a great athlete or natural knee bender. We notice he struggles any time he is forced to shuffle laterally and/or reset his feet. Once he gets set, he likes to stay where he is but if he has to shuffle and reset, he is really limited. If he was going against Miller, Miller would make him look silly with his speed and athleticism. But what makes this matchup intriguing is Jordan is not an elite speed rusher so it gives Sherrod a a chance to get set. He has to prove that he's capable of holding up against Jordan's quickness, especially Jordan's quick hands. Jordan proved to us this week that he is a viable threat as a left defensive end in a 4-3 front to provide pass-rush pressure even though he doesn't have top-end speed to consistently turn the corner. The way he does it is with a quick first step, exceptionally violent and effective hand usage and a motor that never quits. So we'll be watching to see if Sherrod is able to get set and reset against Jordan, who will always be moving. South WR Leonard Hankerson (Miami) vs. North Kendric Burney (N Carolina) Hankerson surprised us this week. He was consistently catching the ball and noticeably more polished with his routes. While he doesn't have great top-end speed, he is good at getting in and out of his breaks and setting up defenders. That could come into play on Saturday. Burney is a decent athlete with good movement skills, but he had problems giving up leverage at times and being out of position. Burney needs to be patient, avoid getting over aggressive, and stay in solid position. It will be a very interesting battle when the ball is in the air because Hankerson, who caught everything this week and snatched it away from his frame, was good at catching the ball in traffic. At 6-2, 205 pounds, is much bigger than the 5-9, 181-pound Burney. Burney shows great ball skills, tracks it well and goes up to get it, but we'll see if he can counter Hankerson's size. Will Hankerson box him out or shield him using his big frame? Or will Burney be able to get in position, then stay in between the ball and Hankerson?
    Posted by Rocky[/QUOTE]

I'm most looking forward to seeing how Brooks Reed performs playing primarily out of a two point stance.

If he looks good (as he has in practice all week), I really think he'll be their prime target at OLB, in the Rd 2-3 range.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wazzu-wheatfarmer. Show Wazzu-wheatfarmer's posts

MB-
    Totally with you on Brooks Reed.  I would love to see NE take him late 2nd to early 3rd...but with a strong showing today he may not last that long.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

[QUOTE]hey kyle thanks for your thoughts,  1.) you want to keep meriweather? (i think he's a huge problem; athlete with little upstairs and prone to many errors that help cost games)  2.) where do you take these players in the draft (the tricky part) thanks for identifying where you see the talent in those positions. peace, cb
    Posted by cbdam[/QUOTE]

17. Aldon Smith, OLB, Missouri
    28. Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama
    33. Stefen Wisniewski, C/G, Penn State
    60. Brandon Burton, CB, Utah
    74. Jarvis Jenkins, DL, Clemson
    92. Joseph Barksdale, OT, LSU

I think we keep Meriweather, or we keep Sanders while drafting a safety early in the 2012 draft.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from gln826. Show gln826's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15*** : Best O-lineman: Stefen Wisniewski Best pass rusher: Aldon Smith Stud D-lineman: Phil Taylor, Muhammed Wilkerson, Jarvis Jenkins, Kenrick Ellis 2nd O-lineman: Joseph Barksdale CB: Brandon Burton, Curtis Brown, Aaron Williams Breakaway back: Mark Ingram, Mikel Leshoure, Delone Carter, Jamie Harper, Kendall Hunter, Bilal Powell FS: No thank you WR: If it ain't Julio Jones then FA (Chad Johnson) or no one
    Posted by KyleCleric2[/QUOTE]

You actually have Wisniewski and Barksdale your 2 best OL's?  Wisniewski has flexibility for playing OC, but he didnt do it last year at PSU.  IMO, I think he is behind Pouncey, Franklin, Boling, Moffitt, Cannon, and Rackley as an OG, but he maybe #3 for OC's (including Pouncey).

Did you watch Barksdale during the Bowl game against A&M?  LSU ran away from him 80% of the time.  He also almost got his QB killed a couple of times.  Barksdale has all the talent in the world, but has no heart.  He did do a lot of good cut-blocking, but he cant do that 65 times a game in the NFL.I got bashed on for saying Chris Hairston would be a good pick because he has the size mobility and toughness that BB likes, but Barksdale only has the size.

For RB should throw in G Cooper, he could be a 3 dowm RB in the NFL, if he can show he is fully recovered from his injury.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]Eng, If Mankins doesn't resign, there is one guy I love to replace him and it's no secret, and that's John Moffitt.  Not only is the man mean and nasty, he is a cool dude and funny.  Teammate Carimi and he would be perfect since they have such familiarity with each other and a comfort level.  Danny Watkins is another guy, who although 27 before the start of 2011, could potentially play up to near Mankins' standards.  Keeping Light for a year or two might make sense if he stays for reasonable cash but the only reason he made the Pro Bowl this year is Crumpler and Gronk helping him out.  He can be upgraded and at 32, he should be upgraded.  Vollmer upgrades him so if we want to focus on other areas, fine.  We get get a new RT and I too like Gilbert on the cheap or Sherrod a little earlier. 
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

I do like Moffitt but I don't think he'll be as good as Mankins, at least in the first couple years. To me he might take a year or two before moving over to LG. Watkins though is just to old for me. You'll basically have him for his rookie contract and maybe one more if he's durable enough but I've always been worried about grabbing a college player who's already in his traditional "prime" years.

It's really G that I'm most worried about. Vollmer will be fine at LT an Kaczur is a serviceable RT (he was a starter before Vollmer took over I'm just concerned can he last a full season?). But at G Neal is getting ready to retire and is consistently getting injured and Connolly fills in nicely but only as a fill in RG. I don't trust anyone to play the LG spot really. I think if Mankins doesn't resign filling that LG position is more important then grabing a T. I'm actually checking out a number of G's right now: Boling, Ijalana, Cannon, Moffitt, and Boren. Honestly I'm having a hard time trying to figure out which one will become the better overall G

With the T's though. I think Vollmer's more natural position was LT. He just seemed more comfortable playing in Light's place then Kaczur's. That's the only reason I wouldn't grab a T high. When you are grabbing one at #17 you are looking for them to be a LT not a RT. I think we could grab a RT a little later on and use the higher picks on a pass rush or filling the C or LG positions earlier in the draft.

If Sherrod is there in the middle 2nd (I think at least one of the 1st 3 picks will be traded back into the teens of the scond round) the I would love to grab him but I think Gilbert early in the 3rd would give the best overall value to grab a RT while grabbing other needs first or if Barksdale falls to #60. I know you aren't high on him but as a RT I think he could excel. Past that for project T's I really like Morris. I think he could come in mid season or after a year and take over the RT spot.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15*** : You actually have Wisniewski and Barksdale your 2 best OL's?  Wisniewski has flexibility for playing OC, but he didnt do it last year at PSU.  IMO, I think he is behind Pouncey, Franklin, Boling, Moffitt, Cannon, and Rackley as an OG, but he maybe #3 for OC's (including Pouncey). Did you watch Barksdale during the Bowl game against A&M?  LSU ran away from him 80% of the time.  He also almost got his QB killed a couple of times.  Barksdale has all the talent in the world, but has no heart.  He did do a lot of good cut-blocking, but he cant do that 65 times a game in the NFL.I got bashed on for saying Chris Hairston would be a good pick because he has the size mobility and toughness that BB likes, but Barksdale only has the size. For RB should throw in G Cooper, he could be a 3 dowm RB in the NFL, if he can show he is fully recovered from his injury.
    Posted by gln826[/QUOTE]

The post was about taking players where they should go in the draft. You're plainly wrong on Wisniewski. Pouncey is the only one arguably better and he offers no verstility to the center position for the Pats, can't do shot gun, not quick enough. The center position for the Pats has to be the smartest player on the OLine. Wisniewski is the smartest olineman in this draft, best technically sound, a tremendous athlete with strength. He is absolutely the best offensive lineman in this draft for the Pats.

Joseph Barksdale will be available in the 3rd round where we'd be addressing the position. He isn't as athletic as the Pats would like, but makes up with it by being one of the best, if not the best, technically sound tackle in this draft, and having outstand size and strength for the position. He may not project well to LT, but he does to right tackle. Regardless, he likely has a year to develop.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]hey faucet,  if mofffitt is the 2nd offensive lineman we take in the draft (and esp if he is the second coming of mankins in disposition and ability), i hope we pick him earlier than he is expected to go, so nobody snaps him up from us.
    Posted by cbdam[/QUOTE]
    I have Moffitt as the 3rd rated OG behind Pouncey and Wisniewski.  I'll get an argument from a lot of people that might suggest Hudson, Schilling and perhaps Watkins belong ahead of Moffitt.  I don't worry so much about Watkins turning 27 because as we are seeing with Mankins, once an elite player comes up from his next contract, they leave.  If we took Watkins in the 2nd, he'd get a 4 year deal and be a free agent at 31.  At that point, we say, "Thank you" and move on. 

I don't worry about Moffitt going before 33.  The first OG to come off the board will likely be Pouncey to Pittsburgh at 31/32.  CIN at 35 should be all over Wisniewski since they need a C and an OG.  ARI at 38 would be a moderate risk to take Moffitt but that assumes they agree he's the 3rd best OG and that they take a QB at 5 and that they don't take an OT like Tyron Smith or Sherrod who would likely be better value there. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15*** : The post was about taking players where they should go in the draft. You're plainly wrong on Wisniewski. Pouncey is the only one arguably better and he offers no verstility to the center position for the Pats, can't do shot gun, not quick enough. The center position for the Pats has to be the smartest player on the OLine. Wisniewski is the smartest olineman in this draft, best technically sound, a tremendous athlete with strength. He is absolutely the best offensive lineman in this draft for the Pats. Joseph Barksdale will be available in the 3rd round where we'd be addressing the position. He isn't as athletic as the Pats would like, but makes up with it by being one of the best, if not the best, technically sound tackle in this draft, and having outstand size and strength for the position. He may not project well to LT, but he does to right tackle. Regardless, he likely has a year to develop.
    Posted by KyleCleric2[/QUOTE]

KC,
    Florida operated primarliy out of the spread, which requires the QB to line up in the shotgun.  Pouncey played every game in 2010 at C, if he was as bad as you say, why wasn't he moved back to OG?  My guess is it's because he wasn't a liability their.  Did he have some snapping issues early on?  Yes.  Did he correct said issues?  Yes.

You're also the only person that I've seen who questions his quickness.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

NE Patriots Draft
    Ahmad Black not playing today (sick) is a big disappointment - talked with him multiple times this week.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=68620&draftyear=2011&genpos=SS

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED MOCK 1/15***:
    [QUOTE]As some of you know, I'm a huge draft guy and spend a lot of time during the college season researching players that fit the Patriots' player profile from a size/skill/intelligence/performance/leadership/need etc., standpoint. This week, I'd like to take a look at a potential fit at 3-4 OLB as this continues to be both a short and long term concern on the team. A player that caught my eye during week one was  Ryan Kerrigan, the (6-4 263) Senior DE from Purdue as his size, instincts, ability to get after the QB, pressure the pocket and make plays behind the LOS vs. ND was evident.  He finished the day with 7 tackles (2.5 for loss, one of which resulted in a safety), a forced fumble and 1 sack.  He looked strong and explosive, with a non-stop motor and was for the most part un-blockable.  He was the team MVP for the 2009 season, is a captain in 2010 and is a two-time Big Ten All-Academic recipient. From what I've read, he's currently considered a round 1-2 talent and rising.  From what I've seen, he's certainly an option to follow during the season. 
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

We need a few Irish guys, too!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]Eng, If Mankins doesn't resign, there is one guy I love to replace him and it's no secret, and that's John Moffitt.  ...
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

i really want them to get moffit so he go opposite mankins and together make the running game a real threat.  getting moffitt while losing mankins will not improve their game. in fact it could be a one-year set back to tehir overall game.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/14590683/castonzos-catalogue-getting-settled-in-mobile

Boston College offensive tackle Anthony Castonzo shares his Senior Bowl experiences this week with NFLDraftScout.com's readers.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Senior Bowl: Winners and Losers  

(California Featured Columnist) on January 29, 2011

Senior Bowl: Winners and Losers From the 2011 Senior Bowl

The 2011 Senior Bowl has just gone final, and it was the South coming away with the win by a final score of 24-10.

Florida State quarterback Christian Ponder, who threw for 131 yards and two touchdowns, was named the MVP.

That's all well and good, but it doesn't really matter. Instead, what everyone really wants to know is who the real winners and losers were.

In other words, we're talking NFL Draft stocks.

The biggest winner was undoubtedly Texas A&M linebacker Von Miller. He came into the game with all sorts of hype on his shoulders, and he didn't disappoint. He was all over the field, and it seemed like he was in the middle of every single big defensive stop for the South. He will be a first round pick for sure, possibly in the Top 10.

Ponder was another big winner, but primarily because the other five quarterbacks in the game were just that bad. He can also thank Miami wide receiver Leonard Hankerson for most of his success, as Hankerson caught five balls for 99 yards and a touchdown. His draft stock definitely improved.

As for the losers, most of them belong to the North. Chief among them is Washington quarterback Jake Locker, who completed six of his 10 passes for 98 yards, but also had two fumbles. He still has the tools, but it's pretty obvious at this point that he's going to be a project.

In addition to Locker, the big names on the North offensive line didn't look so good. Boston College tackle Anthony Castonzo was routinely caught in between all afternoon, and he looked silly on a couple of plays (see Brooks Reed's sack).

It was also a rough day for the North running backs. Both Oklahoma's DeMarco Murrary and Oklahoma State's Kendall Hunter got just two carries each, and they combined for -4 yards.

In any case, those are the only real standouts. It was a pretty sloppy game from start to finish, and actually pretty devoid of story lines.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cbdam. Show cbdam's posts

[QUOTE]Faucet, although I too like Watkins, turning 27 before the season is a bit too old to me to draft unless he falls to the much later rounds.  You just dont get enough years of service from him.  I still like the idea to taking a Watt/Jordan at 17 and with 28 trading up to 18-20 and grabbing an OT with 33 grabbing an OLB like Smith or Houston and with out late 2nd grabbing Moffit.  If we ended up like that, I would be so happy no matter who else we got. 
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon[/QUOTE]

hey Mordecai,
       i like the sound of that. you are on of the few people here other than me mentioning trading up for the o line. thinking similarly fro those 3 picks (though iwould even trade up from 17 as well to get who i wanted/needed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Senior Bowl: Anthony Castonzo and Nate Solder Not Looking Good

By Zachary D. Rymer (California Featured Columnist) on January 29, 2011

Senior Bowl: Anthony Castonzo and Nate Solder Not Looking Good

When the roster for the North team for this year's Senior Bowl was
    announced, you figured that the left side of the offensive line would
    not be an area of concern.

After all, that's where Colorado's Nate Solder and Boston College's
    Anthony Castonzo were going to be, and both of them are expected
    to be first round draft picks.

Well, suffice it to say that they have both had their struggles today.

Solder, who stands at 6-foot-8 and 300 pounds, was caught flat-footed
    by Texas' Sam Acho in the first quarter on a play that led to a sack of
    Jake Locker, who also fumbled the ball on the play.

But as bad as Solder looked on that one play, Castonzo has been
    struggling throughout most of the first half. His technique and footwork
    have opened up some pretty gaping holes in the line of scrimmage,
    and he recently let Arizona's Brooks Reed blow right past him to sack
    Ricky Stanzi.

Between the two players, the 6-foot-7 Castonzo came into the game
    more in need of a good showing, so suffice it to say that this is not
    good for him. There were already doubts about whether he was a truly
    elite player, and now there just doesn't seem to be any reason to believe
    he is even a first round talent.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cbdam. Show cbdam's posts

Todd McShay, Steve Muench and Kevin Weidl on jordon at senior bowl: hasn't dominated the action like he did throughout the week of practices

"Cal DE Cameron Jordan has had some bright spots (like when he bull-rushed OT James Carpenter back into QB Christian Ponder and forced Ponder to bail out of the pocket), but he hasn't dominated the action like he did throughout the week of practices. He has really quick and strong hands -- and he has all but mastered the swim technique -- but he needs to expand his array of pass rush moves. Offensive linemen on the South team have caught on a bit to his "hand over" move and NFL offensive linemen will eat him up if he doesn't mix things up more. Jordan is one of the better prospects in this game and he certainly helped his stock this week, but he's still a bit of a work in progress. It will be interesting to see if he winds up as a LDE in a 4-3 or a five-technique in an odd front"

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cbdam. Show cbdam's posts

[QUOTE]Senior Bowl: Anthony Castonzo and Nate Solder Not Looking Good By Zachary D. Rymer (California Featured Columnist) on January 29, 2011 Senior Bowl: Anthony Castonzo and Nate Solder Not Looking Good When the roster for the North team for this year's Senior Bowl was announced, you figured that the left side of the offensive line would not be an area of concern. After all, that's where Colorado's Nate Solder and Boston College's Anthony Castonzo were going to be, and both of them are expected to be first round draft picks. Well, suffice it to say that they have both had their struggles today. Solder, who stands at 6-foot-8 and 300 pounds, was caught flat-footed by Texas' Sam Acho in the first quarter on a play that led to a sack of Jake Locker, who also fumbled the ball on the play. But as bad as Solder looked on that one play, Castonzo has been struggling throughout most of the first half. His technique and footwork have opened up some pretty gaping holes in the line of scrimmage, and he recently let Arizona's Brooks Reed blow right past him to sack Ricky Stanzi. Between the two players, the 6-foot-7 Castonzo came into the game more in need of a good showing, so suffice it to say that this is not good for him. There were already doubts about whether he was a truly elite player, and now there just doesn't seem to be any reason to believe he is even a first round talent.
    Posted by Rocky[/QUOTE]

thanks rocky,
         so  moffit may shoot up? 

mcshay et al on carimi: good not great.

Wisconsin OT Gabe Carimi will sit out this game because of an ankle injury he suffered during practice. He had a good, but not great week. He has limited athleticism and tools, but he's steady and won't get embarrassed. He has excellent inline power and is NFL ready

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cbdam. Show cbdam's posts

more from zack rymer:

von miller biggest standout

hankerson and ponder next (ponder largely due to hankerson)

It was also a rough day for the North running backs. Both Oklahoma's DeMarco Murrary and Oklahoma State's Kendall Hunter got just two carries each, and they combined for -4 yards.

In any case, those are the only real standouts. It was a pretty sloppy game from start to finish, 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]more from zack rymer: von miller biggest standout hankerson and ponder next (ponder largely due to hankerson) It was also a rough day for the North running backs. Both Oklahoma's DeMarco Murrary and Oklahoma State's Kendall Hunter got just two carries each, and they combined for -4 yards. In any case, those are the only real standouts. It was a pretty sloppy game from start to finish, 
    Posted by cbdam[/QUOTE] I would say the best player on defense for either squad was Sam Acho he was in the North teams backfield most of the game and he pressured the QB's several times.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]Senior Bowl: Anthony Castonzo and Nate Solder Not Looking Good By Zachary D. Rymer (California Featured Columnist) on January 29, 2011 Senior Bowl: Anthony Castonzo and Nate Solder Not Looking Good When the roster for the North team for this year's Senior Bowl was announced, you figured that the left side of the offensive line would not be an area of concern. After all, that's where Colorado's Nate Solder and Boston College's Anthony Castonzo were going to be, and both of them are expected to be first round draft picks. Well, suffice it to say that they have both had their struggles today. Solder, who stands at 6-foot-8 and 300 pounds, was caught flat-footed by Texas' Sam Acho in the first quarter on a play that led to a sack of Jake Locker, who also fumbled the ball on the play. But as bad as Solder looked on that one play, Castonzo has been struggling throughout most of the first half. His technique and footwork have opened up some pretty gaping holes in the line of scrimmage, and he recently let Arizona's Brooks Reed blow right past him to sack Ricky Stanzi. Between the two players, the 6-foot-7 Castonzo came into the game more in need of a good showing, so suffice it to say that this is not good for him. There were already doubts about whether he was a truly elite player, and now there just doesn't seem to be any reason to believe he is even a first round talent.
    Posted by Rocky[/QUOTE] Playing Constanzo at LG wasn't the best thing for him,he's a Tackle and obviously that's where he should have been playing.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cbdam. Show cbdam's posts

more from mcshay et al:

Florida State's Christian Ponder's first throw downfield into the wind showed exactly why we have concerns about his arm. The ball hung in the wind and was vastly underthrown. That's why Ponder fits better in a West Coast offense. 

Louisville RB Bilal Powell did a great job during the first drive of making one cut and getting vertical. We love his downhill style and he has excellent vision. We saw it on film and he's showing it in person

Burney's big play
    North Carolina CB Kendric Burney is undersized and had a tough season, but he had a week of practice. He possesses excellent ball skills and had several interceptions throughout the week. During the South's first drive, he did a great job of anticipating route on the goal line and stepping in front of Miami's Leonard Hankerson, who has size on him, on the three-step drop to break up the pass and prevent a TD

Locker's first-drive struggles
    Washington QB Jake Locker needs to show more accuracy. He missed TE Lance Kendricks(Wisconsin), and even though Clemson DT Jarvis Jenkins was closing in on Locker and being disruptive, these are the types of throws scouts want to see him make, to see if he has the ability to throw accurately under duress.

Michigan State LB Greg Jones' missed tackle on Tulsa RB Charles Clay showed his limitations and the concerns we have about him in the open field. He needs to do a better job of breaking down and taking better angles. He has not had a great week.

On the other hand, Alabama OT James Carpenter is off to a great start setting the edge in pass protection. He's light on his feet and showing good lateral agility. Carpenter had a very good week and is trying to put a bow on it with a strong game.

OC/OG Rodney Hudson is one of the most underrated players in this draft. He doesn't fit every scheme because he's undersized but teams that don't mind smaller blockers will like Hudson enough to consider him in the second- or early-third-round range. I've been a big fan of his since studying his 2009 tape last summer. He has quick feet, plays with great leverage and uses excellent technique to execute his assignments

Coming up big
    Clemson DT Jarvis Jenkins and Baylor NT Phil Taylor are making the lives of the North offensive linemen miserable. Both players are better run stuffers than pass rushers but they've been using quick first steps and brute strength on bull rushes to collapse the pocket on several occasions

Hurricane warning
    Miami's Leonard Hankerson has five catches for 100 yards and we still have five minutes of football remaining. He is clearly the best wide receiver on the field (and he was all week during practices). His route running is much improved from earlier in his career and his massive hands engulf the ball. He has shown the ability to make all the catches (in traffic, over his head, pluck on the run, adjusting to ball away from frame, etc.).

Making a name for himself
    San Diego State WR Vincent Brown continues to help his draft stock with a strong showing. He lacks imposing size and has just average speed, but he knows how to separate and has great hands. Brown and Iowa QB Ricky Stanzi had a miscommunication on a third-down incompletion (it seems like Brown was supposed to break outside instead of inside), but those things are common in all-star games. Stanzi connected with Brown twice earlier on the drive. From a big-picture standpoint, Brown has shown NFL scouts and coaches that he's capable of contributing as a sub-package wideout in the NFL

Settling in nicely
    Iowa QB Ricky Stanzi is settling into a grove in the second half. He has made three great throws on a fourth-quarter drive. The first throw, to WR Vincent Brown, had great timing and accuracy. His second throw was drilled into a tight window to TE Lance Kendricks. And his third throw had excellent timing and was a very catchable ball on a seam route by Brown. He completed six of his first nine throws. Where's the burst?
    USC WR Ronald Johnson has not shown much big-play ability this week. He rarely flashed during practices and as seen on his third-quarter kickoff return, Johnson lacks initial burst and a second-gear in space.

Hold on to the ball
    Washington QB Jake Locker has to do a better job with ball security. Mississippi State DEPernell McPhee did a good job to strip the ball but Locker needs to have that football secured. He lost a couple of fumbles during the week of practices and I've seen him get stripped at least three times (that I can remember off the top of my head) on tape during his career at Washington.

Breaking down Kaepernick
    Nevada QB Colin Kaepernick is talented, but he needs a lot of work. He has the frame, great athleticism and a strong arm. He's also a great competitor and a winner, which you have to love at the QB position. But the inconsistent play in today's game is a good indicator of how much work he still needs. He comes from a Pistol offense at Nevada and doesn't have a lot of experience as a dropback passer. He is late diagnosing coverage and takes too long going through his progressions. He also has a long delivery, especially on throws outside the numbers and vertically. He's worth a mid-round pick for a team with time to develop him. It's a long-term project but the upside is clearly there with Kaepernick. It will be a project similar to Dennis Dixon (Steelers). Kaepernick doesn't have the durability concerns like Dixon had, though, which is one reason he should come off the board higher than Dixon did in 2008 (fifth round).

Going non-stop
    Miami LB Colin McCarthy is limited physically but he's an overachiever who uses great instincts to make plays. His tackle of Nebraska RB Roy Helu in the third quarter was a great example. He diagnosed the play quickly and took an excellent angle in pursuit. He loves playing this game and it shows in his motor. McCarthy will be a Day 3 pick but he's the type of player who hangs around the league for 6-8 years. He will need to contribute on special teams early in his career and that shouldn't be a problem. McCarthy has the right mentality and tackling skills to cover kicks.

Burney making plays
    North Carolina CB Kendric Burney has played well today. He lacks size (as seen whenLeonard Hankerson boxed him out on his first catch of the second half) and top-end speed, which will keep him out of the first couple rounds of the draft. But he has shown good instincts -- throughout practices and in the game -- and he also has outstanding ball skills. He may turn out to be a solid nickel corner in the NFL.

Miller shows why he's best player here
    Texas A&M's Von Miller showed discipline and open-field tackling skills with two tackles on the first drive of the second half. It's hard not to be impressed by how smoothly he is transitioning to OLB. He has been all over the field today versus the run and occasionally as an edge rusher. He is showing scouts that he not only has the physical tools but also the mental capacity to play different roles in multiple schemes. It is obvious that Miller is the best player on the field and he should be the first player drafted from this year's Senior Bowl.

First-half standouts
    Miami's Leonard Hankerson: Built on a great week showing solid hands and improved routes.

Arizona's Brooks Reed: Showed a non-stop motor and a quick first step. He was consistently causing problems as a pass rusher. Purdue's Ryan Kerrigan: An instinctive and tough player. He shows a quick first step and a wide variety of pass rushing moves. Florida State's Christian Ponder: He was efficient in his drops and got the ball out on time early in the game. Mississippi State's Derek Sherrod: Did a nice job in pass pro as well as moving defenders off the ball in the run game.

Sudden impact
    Purdue's Ryan Kerrigan used a great spin move to make a sack. He may not be an explosive or gifted athlete, but he sets up blockers well and brings it play in and play out. He's had a good week and is making an impact in this game.

No love for Love 
    Arkansas OT Demarcus Love is limited athletically and struggles with speed rushers. He is not playing with great balance and really struggled on that last series. He might have to transition to guard at the next level and appears to be a mid-round selection at this point.

Reed keeping good week going
    Arizona DE Brooks Reed had a tremendous week and showed a quick first step off the edge and the ability to bend the edge. He's relentless and shows good suddenness. He's played standing up and with his hand in the dirt and Reed displayed enough athleticism to transition to a rush end in a 3-4 if need be as well. He did a great job of freezing Boston College OT Anthony Castonzo before gaining the edge to secure a sack.

Hooked on Brown
    Texas DB Curtis Brown has excellent feet and instincts. He displayed both those qualities on the pass breakup on the quick slant to Vincent Brown. He has some limitations in terms of top-end speed and hips in the open field, but he could make a solid cover-2 CB.

Boling coming up big
    Georgia G Clint Boling had a good week and showed nice awareness on the screen play to West Virginia RB Noel Devine. He found the defender and peeled back for the block. Boling has shown good inline power and nice awareness all week, especially in the open field where he has done a great job of adjusting on the move to cover up targets. He's made himself some money this week.

What McElroy brings to the table
    Alabama QB Greg McElroy has limitations in overall skill set, but he is a coach's dream. He's NFL ready in terms of drops, mechanics and going through progressions. He just understands the game. However, lack of arm strength and overall tools will cause him to drop.

McCarthy making waves
    Miami LB Colin McCarthy made a nice stop on a quick screen to Vincent Brown. McCarthy is limited athletically and doesn't have elite range, but he has outstanding instincts and a nose for the ball. He will bring great value early on Day 3.

A Bulldog is barking
    Mississippi State OT Derek Sherrod is using his big frame and long arms (longest at the game 35½ inches) to handle Ryan Kerrigan off the edge so far. He did a nice job of riding him past the pocket one time, while anchoring against his power move another time. Sherrod has some limitations with lateral agility, but he does show the frame strength and balance to become an effective RT at the next level.

North's tough series
    Couple thoughts on the North's last series:

Colorado OT Nate Solder overset and allowed Texas DE Sam Acho to beat him inside, which was very uncharacteristic for a guy who has such good feet. He did not show great balance there. Washington QB Jake Locker missed high again. He is not showing the accuracy to stick the ball in tight windows that we had anticipated seeing. Clemson's DeAndre McDanieldelivered a big hit on Boise State WR Titus Young and showed the physical presence he can bring down the middle of the field. He is tight but displays above-average instincts and excellent ball skills. Quick hits
    Kentucky RB Derrick Locke is showing good vision and the quickness to find and hit the hole. He did a nice job of seeing and utilizing his blocks on a fourth-down run.

Baylor OL Danny Watkins did a great job of sealing Notre Dame's Ian Williams on the inside to open up a hole on that fourth-down run. Aside from the holding call earlier this drive, he had a great week and really helped himself. He's now a solid second-round pick.

Miami's Leonard Hankerson continues to stand out. He ran a great route and did a nice job of dropping his weight and gathering at the top of the stem before quickly finding the ball and securing it for a TD.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from cbdam. Show cbdam's posts

thanks sportsbozo

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from cbdam. Show cbdam's posts

kiper's 1.0 he only gives round 1

he has aldon smith going before us at 17 and wilkerson gong before us at 33#, which i know if it happened, would make many of you unhapppy.

he also has us bypassing kerrigan and jordan for watt. would you bypass jordan for watt? tough call.

i would like a big, quick durable back too, but not before o line nor would i do it without getting my stud olb through f.a. or the draft
    Carolina Panthers

Record: 2-14

Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn

The No. 1 overall player on the Big Board, and one who can pay immediate dividends. Fairley isn't just a safe pick because of his excellent burst, violent hand action and ability to effectively penetrate and be a constant nuisance against both the run and pass; he also has the chance to be a dominant player regardless of system. Detroit and Tampa Bay drafted the top defensive tackles at Nos. 2 and 3 last year. Carolina should start earlier in 2011. A slight mean streak in a DT isn't the worst trait. Even Ndamukong Suh showed a bit of one this season.

Denver Broncos

Record: 4-12

Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU

Denver CB Champ Bailey is a future Hall of Famer, but he's a free agent entering his 13th NFL season and Peterson has the physical skills to be an immediate starter in the secondary and a force in the return game. Denver has enough needs where it could go several directions with this pick, but getting the best size-speed combo in the draft, a guy who can help immediately, is a smart play. Simply an electrifying talent.

Buffalo Bills

Marcell Dareus, DE, Alabama

Buffalo has started to assemble the pieces for its 3-4 defense and Dareus has outstanding pass-rush skills and fits as a defensive end in the system. This is too early to take an offensive tackle in terms of value, but it's a good opportunity to land an ideal fit if the Bills don't want to trade down. I'm sure some Bills fans would clamor for a guy like A.J. Green in this spot, but after 2010 the Bills simply have to address the lines, and the development ofStevie Johnson limits the receiver need anyway.

Cincinnati Bengals

Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson

Rookie Carlos Dunlap came on late for the Bengals and finished with 9.5 sacks, but the chance to draft the best pure pass-rusher on the board and immediately have in place a more formidable pass rush is too much to pass up. Bowers has the skill-set, explosiveness and relentless pass-rushing skills of a No. 1 overall pick. He's a good value, even at No. 4.

Arizona Cardinals

Record: 5-11

Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri

The Cardinals were a mess at quarterback in 2010, and while Max Hall and John Skeltonshowed glimpses, both are projects, and there's no real solution in place for next season outside of a trade. Gabbert will be under the microscope during the testing process perhaps more than any other player, but at this stage he's the most NFL-ready QB in the draft. Arizona is in a tough spot: If the Cardinals pass on Gabbert, there won't be a QB who can do more for them sooner than Skelton or Hall later in the draft. Gabbert offers a strong arm, protoype size, reads the game well and has a lot of upside.

Cleveland Browns

Record: 5-11

A.J. Green, WR, Georgia

The Browns need a No.1 wideout and Green has fit the profile since he landed between the hedges at Georgia. Green is a complete package, with size, speed and solid route-running skills, and he will be the best friend of a young quarterback as a player that's able to go up and take the ball away. Cleveland has some good pieces, and Green is exactly what Colt McCoy needs.

Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina

It's an understatement to say that Quinn will be fresh. After sitting out his entire junior year at Chapel Hill, it's a testament to Quinn's talent that he's this high on the draft board. And make no mistake -- scouts think extremely highly of Quinn. If his preparations for the draft process are up to par, at this spot he offers the Niners a pure pass-rusher at defensive end that can only be matched by Bowers.

Tennessee Titans

Record: 6-10

Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M

Miller has the reputation of a big-time sack artist but his game is more diversified than he gets credit for. What Miller brings in Week 1 is a great third-down option. A gifted edge-rusher, he can get to the quarterback, but you can also mix it up and drop him into zone coverage, where he has speed and developing awareness at the position. A solid tackler, Miller will only get better in the 4-3 system as he adjusts to the NFL game.

Dallas Cowboys

Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska

A great value here, Amukamara is the best pure ball-hawking corner in the draft. A technician with outstanding instincts, ball skills and anticipation, he immediately provides an upgrade in the Dallas secondary. The Cowboys need help at corner, and this spot is still a tad too early to go with offensive line help based on current grades, so this makes sense. Amukamara is the kind of player that can help the pass rush and also make quick decisions turn into interceptions.

Cam Newton, QB, Auburn

A gifted athlete, Newton has good arm strength and size, has developing accuracy and continues to show that the more you ask him as a passer, the more he'll develop. This spot might be a bit high based on his current grade in the eyes of scouts, but Newton's skill-set is such that personnel people are going to become more enamored, if they already aren't. Newton has character questions that need to be answered, but the Redskins have a long-term need at this position and the prospect of developing Newton is a tantalizing one.

Houston Texans

Aldon Smith, OLB, Missouri

A late addition to the Big Board, Smith's declaration moved him up among draft-eligible pass-rushers. Smith is more athlete than refined pass-rusher at this stage, but he has a great wing-span and is a perfect size and speed combination to develop as an outside linebacker. We know Houston has to address the defensive side of the ball and Smith is the kind of high-upside player that will fly up the board as personnel people start seeing the tape. He'll improve a weak pass rush.

Nate Solder, OT, Colorado

Offensive line has gone from a strength to a weakness in a short period for the Vikings and Solder offers a solution as an athletic player who can help immediately on the right side. He has the massive frame and footwork to eventually become a top-flight left tackle. Durable, smart and a guy who sustains his blocks, Solder is my top-rated tackle, a position that usually would be gone before this stage.

Detroit Lions

Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA

Detroit needs help in the secondary, but unless it moves down it can't get good value here with the top two corners off the board. However, the Lions won't complain if Ayers, a freakish athlete with smarts and outstanding versatility at the linebacker position, is still here. After upgrading their defensive line in 2010, the Lions need guys that can fly to the ball, and Ayers is a sideline-to-sideline tackler who can also rush the QB and drop into coverage. A safe pick.

St. Louis Rams

Record: 7-9

Julio Jones, WR, Alabama

When they drafted No. 1 overall last year, many people thought the Rams could be looking at wideouts within the top 5 of this year's draft. But their great improvement has them further down the board. Good thing for them, Jones offers top-10 talent at a bargain in this spot. Big and physical, Jones showed a more refined game this past season, eliminating drops and making catches all over the field from every formation. A perfect fit to grow with Sam Bradford.

Miami Dolphins

Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama

The top-rated running back on the board, Ingram will step in effectively for Ricky Williams and improve the Miami ground game. Ingram runs with great pad level and leverage and seems to explode from contact. He has a good burst through the hole and is a terror once he gets to the second level.

Jacksonville worked on its defensive line last offseason and via the draft, and Clayborn offers a final piece to solidify a good unit. A powerful edge-rusher, Clayborn batters opposing linemen with a relentlessness that makes him among the most difficult players to prepare for. Smart and disciplined enough to hold the edge, he's a perfect fit for the Jacksonville system.

New England Patriots (from Oakland)

Record: 14-2

J.J. Watt, DE, Wisconsin

The Patriots need to target their defensive line and Watt can help them early as a 3-4 DE. A penetrator, Watt is constantly in the backfield and will occupy blocks with a variety of moves. He was a tackles-for-loss machine at Wisconsin and at 6-foot-6 gets his hands in passing lanes. A smart player, he should adjust quickly to Bill Belichick's system. The Patriots have to build a more formidable pass-rush and Watt can help.

Cameron Jordan, DE, California

Jordan is a good fit for the Chargers, particularly as they consider their defensive direction. He's not a system-specific player (Jordan thrives as a 3-4 defensive end), but his quickness means he could handle edge duties in a 4-3. His dad, Steve, was a six-time Pro Bowl tight end, so the NFL lineage is there. The Chargers should address defense first, and Jordan offers solid mid-first round value here.

New York Giants

Record: 10-6

Mike Pouncey, G/C, Florida

His brother went to Pittsburgh at No. 18 overall last year, looked like a Pro Bowl player early and became one late in his rookie season. The other Pouncey has similar attributes. He's durable, smart and versatile along the interior. By far the best player at his position in this draft, he should pay immediate dividends for the Giants and be effective as both a run- and pass-blocker.

Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue

Last season, Tampa addressed the interior of its defensive line with the first two picks. Now, the Bucs should target the edge, because even though they've improved, this team still lacks a steady pass rush. Kerrigan is a pass-rusher; he led the nation in tackles for loss this past season and was all but unblockable. He is developing his secondary moves but is among the more relentless players in the college game; he is a potential long-term solution as a sack artist.

Kansas City Chiefs

Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon State

Among personnel people, I find a wide range of opinion on Paea. Some think he's an anchor on the defensive line, a force that could go much higher. Others see some inconsistency and believe he could fall to the second round. He'll be a guy to watch during the draft process. Still, what he can do is immediately strengthen a rush defense. He occupies blocks with great leverage and big-time strength. Paea will do a number on the bench-press. Not a great penetrator but he frees up tacklers and fits this system.

Indianapolis Colts

Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College

The Colts need to strengthen their offensive line in order to reclaim the running game and keep heat off Peyton Manning, who will be 35 when the 2011 season kicks off. Castonzo offers stability as a versatile tackle who will never miss a snap. He could add some bulk, but that's not the most difficult area to address. With well-above-average smarts, awareness and work-rate, he'd fit well in Indy at a position the Colts need to fill.

Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin

The Eagles are loaded at the skill positions and did a nice job of hitting defense early in last year's draft, so they should address the offensive line at a place where the value meets the need. In Carimi they get a guy who loves to run-block and will sustain his blocks into the parking lot. He plays with an edge but needs continued development as a pass-blocker. His film against some big-time prospects this year shows a guy ready to contribute.

New Orleans Saints

Record: 11-5

Justin Houston, DE, Georgia

An outside linebacker to some, I see Houston developing into a great edge-rusher as a 4-3 defensive end. The Saints need help at that spot and Houston is a guy who could pay big dividends into the second half of his rookie season as he grows into the role. With great length, quickness and pass-rushing instincts, he'll help the Saints get to opposing QBs without being forced to rely on the blitz.

Seattle Seahawks

Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas

Everything about Mallett's arm screams top 10, but he could fall a bit as a player who needs to develop footwork and the willingness to bite off only as much as he can chew. That said, Mallett's game progressed in 2010. He showed improved accuracy and a willingness to move around and consider the dump-off passes he often passed up as a younger player. With a year of development, he could be a good value here and a long-term answer for the Seahawks. It'll be asked, but my sources tell me the Seahawks prefer him to Washington'sJake Locker -- at least right now.

Baltimore Ravens

Record: 12-4

Brandon Harris, CB, Miami

The Ravens ran into some really bad luck last year, when their first pick, Sergio Kindle, got hurt off the field. And among all their other picks, one spot they didn't hit was cornerback. Harris is a solid value at this stage, as he carries a late-first round grade. A coach's son, he offers prototype size at 5-11, 195 pounds, good instincts and isn't shy in run support. The Ravens need to address the secondary and Harris is a good option.

Atlanta Falcons

Record: 13-3

Torrey Smith, WR, Maryland

Atlanta needs to develop a pass-catching target across from Roddy White, and Smith is a guy who can get downfield, work underneath and will always be a home run threat when he catches the ball. He also offers a serious threat in the return game. Atlanta doesn't have a lot of holes and Smith could help take this offense to another level as an explosive threat opposite White.

Mikel Leshoure, RB, Illinois

The Patriots, year after year, manage to find solutions at running back. But there are solutions, and there are threats. And the fast-rising Leshoure, a chiseled 6-foot, 227-pound back who ran well in a physical Big Ten this past season, could be the alpha running back the Patriots could use. New England could go a lot of ways with this pick, but remember, the Pats have another pick just a handful of spots down the board and if they want a difference-maker at RB in a draft short on them, this is an option.

Clayborn gets a lot of the attention, but he wasn't the most productive defensive lineman for the Hawkeyes by many accounts this past season. That was Ballard, who fits as a 3-4 defensive end to fortify an improving Packers defense. At 6-4 and a hair under 300 pounds, Ballard is another high-energy guy who can play multiple positions and holds up well against the run.

New York Jets

Muhammad Wilkerson, DE, Temple

The other option here might be to take UCLA free safety Rahim Moore, but I like Wilkerson with the Jets. He offers great value as a defensive lineman to develop, because if he came back, he'd be a likely top-15 pick in 2012. At over 6-4 and 306 pounds, he slots in with the Jets' 3-4 as a defensive end, but was a penetrating defensive tackle. The only guy who's had more sacks than Wilkerson over the last two years from that position is Nebraska'sJared Crick, another big-time prospect. Scheme-versatile, Wilkerson is a great growth-piece for Rex Ryan.

Chicago Bears

Aaron Williams, CB, Texas

Chicago needs help at corner and Williams is a safe pick. A solid character guy with exceptional ball skills, he has good speed, awareness and above-average size for the position, at a hair under 6-1 and 192 pounds. A guy who excels at the takeaway, he'll be able to deliver INTs for a coach who craves turnovers. He is also a very good special teams player.

Tyron Smith, OT, USC

If the current trend holds, Smith may not last this long, as he is drawing raves from scouts over the last couple months. Regardless, Pittsburgh would be thrilled to get him here, because it's a position the Steelers must address. Smith can start early on the right side and develop into a left tackle, as he has the long frame, excellent footwork, instincts and athleticism that the position requires.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cbdam. Show cbdam's posts

tall cb anyone? 
    drool.

mcshay:
     Finally got to study 2010 coach-copy tape on colorado CB Jimmy Smith. Silky smooth for 6-2. Might be second best CB behind lsu's Peterson 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

[QUOTE]more from mcshay et al: Florida State's  Christian Ponder 's first throw downfield into the wind showed exactly why we have concerns about his arm. The ball hung in the wind and was vastly underthrown. That's why Ponder fits better in a West Coast offense.  Louisville RB  Bilal Powell  did a great job during the first drive of making one cut and getting vertical. We love his downhill style and he has excellent vision. We saw it on film and he's showing it in person Burney's big play North Carolina CB  Kendric Burney  is undersized and had a tough season, but he had a week of practice. He possesses excellent ball skills and had several interceptions throughout the week. During the South's first drive, he did a great job of anticipating route on the goal line and stepping in front of Miami's  Leonard Hankerson , who has size on him, on the three-step drop to break up the pass and prevent a TD Locker's first-drive struggles Washington QB  Jake Locker  needs to show more accuracy. He missed TE  Lance Kendricks (Wisconsin), and even though Clemson DT  Jarvis Jenkins  was closing in on Locker and being disruptive, these are the types of throws scouts want to see him make, to see if he has the ability to throw accurately under duress. Michigan State LB  Greg Jones ' missed tackle on Tulsa RB  Charles Clay  showed his limitations and the concerns we have about him in the open field. He needs to do a better job of breaking down and taking better angles. He has not had a great week. On the other hand, Alabama OT  James Carpenter  is off to a great start setting the edge in pass protection. He's light on his feet and showing good lateral agility. Carpenter had a very good week and is trying to put a bow on it with a strong game. OC/OG  Rodney Hudson  is one of the most underrated players in this draft. He doesn't fit every scheme because he's undersized but teams that don't mind smaller blockers will like Hudson enough to consider him in the second- or early-third-round range. I've been a big fan of his since studying his 2009 tape last summer. He has quick feet, plays with great leverage and uses excellent technique to execute his assignments Coming up big Clemson DT  Jarvis Jenkins  and Baylor NT  Phil Taylor  are making the lives of the North offensive linemen miserable. Both players are better run stuffers than pass rushers but they've been using quick first steps and brute strength on bull rushes to collapse the pocket on several occasions Hurricane warning Miami's  Leonard Hankerson  has five catches for 100 yards and we still have five minutes of football remaining. He is clearly the best wide receiver on the field (and he was all week during practices). His route running is much improved from earlier in his career and his massive hands engulf the ball. He has shown the ability to make all the catches (in traffic, over his head, pluck on the run, adjusting to ball away from frame, etc.). Making a name for himself San Diego State WR  Vincent Brown  continues to help his draft stock with a strong showing. He lacks imposing size and has just average speed, but he knows how to separate and has great hands. Brown and Iowa QB  Ricky Stanzi  had a miscommunication on a third-down incompletion (it seems like Brown was supposed to break outside instead of inside), but those things are common in all-star games. Stanzi connected with Brown twice earlier on the drive. From a big-picture standpoint, Brown has shown NFL scouts and coaches that he's capable of contributing as a sub-package wideout in the NFL Settling in nicely Iowa QB  Ricky Stanzi  is settling into a grove in the second half. He has made three great throws on a fourth-quarter drive. The first throw, to WR  Vincent Brown , had great timing and accuracy. His second throw was drilled into a tight window to TE  Lance Kendricks . And his third throw had excellent timing and was a very catchable ball on a seam route by Brown. He completed six of his first nine throws.  Where's the burst? USC WR  Ronald Johnson  has not shown much big-play ability this week. He rarely flashed during practices and as seen on his third-quarter kickoff return, Johnson lacks initial burst and a second-gear in space. Hold on to the ball Washington QB  Jake Locker  has to do a better job with ball security. Mississippi State DE Pernell McPhee  did a good job to strip the ball but Locker needs to have that football secured. He lost a couple of fumbles during the week of practices and I've seen him get stripped at least three times (that I can remember off the top of my head) on tape during his career at Washington. Breaking down Kaepernick Nevada QB  Colin Kaepernick  is talented, but he needs a lot of work. He has the frame, great athleticism and a strong arm. He's also a great competitor and a winner, which you have to love at the QB position. But the inconsistent play in today's game is a good indicator of how much work he still needs. He comes from a Pistol offense at Nevada and doesn't have a lot of experience as a dropback passer. He is late diagnosing coverage and takes too long going through his progressions. He also has a long delivery, especially on throws outside the numbers and vertically. He's worth a mid-round pick for a team with time to develop him. It's a long-term project but the upside is clearly there with Kaepernick. It will be a project similar to Dennis Dixon (Steelers). Kaepernick doesn't have the durability concerns like Dixon had, though, which is one reason he should come off the board higher than Dixon did in 2008 (fifth round). Going non-stop Miami LB  Colin McCarthy  is limited physically but he's an overachiever who uses great instincts to make plays. His tackle of Nebraska RB  Roy Helu  in the third quarter was a great example. He diagnosed the play quickly and took an excellent angle in pursuit. He loves playing this game and it shows in his motor. McCarthy will be a Day 3 pick but he's the type of player who hangs around the league for 6-8 years. He will need to contribute on special teams early in his career and that shouldn't be a problem. McCarthy has the right mentality and tackling skills to cover kicks.   Burney making plays North Carolina CB  Kendric Burney  has played well today. He lacks size (as seen when Leonard Hankerson  boxed him out on his first catch of the second half) and top-end speed, which will keep him out of the first couple rounds of the draft. But he has shown good instincts -- throughout practices and in the game -- and he also has outstanding ball skills. He may turn out to be a solid nickel corner in the NFL. Miller shows why he's best player here Texas A&M's  Von Miller  showed discipline and open-field tackling skills with two tackles on the first drive of the second half. It's hard not to be impressed by how smoothly he is transitioning to OLB. He has been all over the field today versus the run and occasionally as an edge rusher. He is showing scouts that he not only has the physical tools but also the mental capacity to play different roles in multiple schemes. It is obvious that Miller is the best player on the field and he should be the first player drafted from this year's Senior Bowl. First-half standouts Miami's  Leonard Hankerson : Built on a great week showing solid hands and improved routes. Arizona's  Brooks Reed : Showed a non-stop motor and a quick first step. He was consistently causing problems as a pass rusher. Purdue's  Ryan Kerrigan : An instinctive and tough player. He shows a quick first step and a wide variety of pass rushing moves. Florida State's  Christian Ponder : He was efficient in his drops and got the ball out on time early in the game. Mississippi State's  Derek Sherrod : Did a nice job in pass pro as well as moving defenders off the ball in the run game. Sudden impact Purdue's  Ryan Kerrigan  used a great spin move to make a sack. He may not be an explosive or gifted athlete, but he sets up blockers well and brings it play in and play out. He's had a good week and is making an impact in this game. No love for Love   Arkansas OT  Demarcus Love  is limited athletically and struggles with speed rushers. He is not playing with great balance and really struggled on that last series. He might have to transition to guard at the next level and appears to be a mid-round selection at this point. Reed keeping good week going Arizona DE  Brooks Reed  had a tremendous week and showed a quick first step off the edge and the ability to bend the edge. He's relentless and shows good suddenness. He's played standing up and with his hand in the dirt and Reed displayed enough athleticism to transition to a rush end in a 3-4 if need be as well. He did a great job of freezing Boston College OT  Anthony Castonzo  before gaining the edge to secure a sack. Hooked on Brown Texas DB  Curtis Brown  has excellent feet and instincts. He displayed both those qualities on the pass breakup on the quick slant to  Vincent Brown . He has some limitations in terms of top-end speed and hips in the open field, but he could make a solid cover-2 CB. Boling coming up big Georgia G  Clint Boling  had a good week and showed nice awareness on the screen play to West Virginia RB  Noel Devine . He found the defender and peeled back for the block. Boling has shown good inline power and nice awareness all week, especially in the open field where he has done a great job of adjusting on the move to cover up targets. He's made himself some money this week. What McElroy brings to the table Alabama QB  Greg McElroy  has limitations in overall skill set, but he is a coach's dream. He's NFL ready in terms of drops, mechanics and going through progressions. He just understands the game. However, lack of arm strength and overall tools will cause him to drop. McCarthy making waves Miami LB  Colin McCarthy  made a nice stop on a quick screen to  Vincent Brown . McCarthy is limited athletically and doesn't have elite range, but he has outstanding instincts and a nose for the ball. He will bring great value early on Day 3.   A Bulldog is barking Mississippi State OT  Derek Sherrod  is using his big frame and long arms (longest at the game 35½ inches) to handle  Ryan Kerrigan  off the edge so far. He did a nice job of riding him past the pocket one time, while anchoring against his power move another time. Sherrod has some limitations with lateral agility, but he does show the frame strength and balance to become an effective RT at the next level. North's tough series Couple thoughts on the North's last series: Colorado OT  Nate Solder  overset and allowed Texas DE  Sam Acho  to beat him inside, which was very uncharacteristic for a guy who has such good feet. He did not show great balance there. Washington QB  Jake Locker  missed high again. He is not showing the accuracy to stick the ball in tight windows that we had anticipated seeing. Clemson's  DeAndre McDaniel delivered a big hit on Boise State WR  Titus Young  and showed the physical presence he can bring down the middle of the field. He is tight but displays above-average instincts and excellent ball skills.  Quick hits Kentucky RB  Derrick Locke  is showing good vision and the quickness to find and hit the hole. He did a nice job of seeing and utilizing his blocks on a fourth-down run. Baylor OL  Danny Watkins  did a great job of sealing Notre Dame's  Ian Williams  on the inside to open up a hole on that fourth-down run. Aside from the holding call earlier this drive, he had a great week and really helped himself. He's now a solid second-round pick. Miami's  Leonard Hankerson  continues to stand out. He ran a great route and did a nice job of dropping his weight and gathering at the top of the stem before quickly finding the ball and securing it for a TD.          
    Posted by cbdam[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Keep posting the ESPN Insider blogs and articles!

Sections
Shortcuts