2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1***

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1***:
    [QUOTE]I think Kerrigan, Solder and Carimi go higher than what people expect.
    Posted by garytx[/QUOTE]

Kerrigan in particular could work his way into the top 10-15 or so the rise in his draft stock would indicate.

Carimi is a kid I watched some tape on last night (then added him to my mock).  Played with great aggression, moved his feet well, showed the ability to effectively block at the 2nd level, drives his man off the ball, sometimes 10 yards down field etc.  With an apparent down year for OT's he could certainly rise if he maintains his level of play.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1*** : i like carimi. as i said in that other draft thread, i was pretty impressed with the wisconsin o-line. i think the center was #66. he fell flat on his back once during teh game last week, but through the rest of the game he was solid. #74 was also did well in both pretection and run blocking. heyward disappeared in that game.
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]

Indeed, he has a lot of measurables/intangibles that fit well with BB's draft philosophy.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1*** : Kerrigan in particular could work his way into the top 10-15 or so the rise in his draft stock would indicate. Carimi is a kid I watched some tape on last night (then added him to my mock).  Played with great aggression, moved his feet well, showed the ability to effectively block at the 2nd level, drives his man off the ball, sometimes 10 yards down field etc.  With an apparent down year for OT's he could certainly rise if he maintains his level of play.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

I don't think so with Kerrigan (no opinion on the rest). Kerrigan is playing himself up draft boards. His problem will be with measurables. At 6'4, 265, he's got the size. 4.8+ 40 will be a big turnoff. For the Patriots and 3-4 teams, he's a 2nd round pick, maybe 3rd or 4th. For a 4-3, he could be taken at an end spot. Then he has a better chance of getting picked in the first round, but still late first round, unless the Jags take him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

Peterson has greatness in his game and when you have a shot at a CB like this you take it(but Oakland's pick has to be in the third or fourth in the the first).Carimi is the OT who I believe fits the Pats perfectly and the RB's that best fits their need is either Murrey from Oklahoma(and he could be there early to mid second)or you wait until their second third round pick wait until the fourth rounde(if he  slips),Powell out of Louisville.They may be looking for a tall WR and I'm not sure use a first round selection to grab one or an OLB,depending on how Cunningham and Nink perform or even a DE,depends on what happens with Deaderick(you know I really think he  can play at this level and play well as I have said since before the draft.If they draft a safety it should be late as they have Page(who has proven he can play in this league)and Barrett(and he is a player lest anyone forget).they do need to draft a guard smoewhere along the line but i"m torn as to which rounds.The intereting thing is that Watson could bring a fifth round compersatory pick maybe that's where the guard comes on board.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Carimi is the surest bet at OT in my opinion,solid run and pass.He has the ability to be a long time starter at RT for the Pats.Physically gifted,smart,tough with a terrific work ethic.Also,Sands has imposing size and surprising speed and is a more skilled a cover safety than some give him credit for being.the only question is with with our current starting safeties and Page and Barrett behind them(Barrett was the Pats stealth grab this year..out this season but a big time talent)do you take a safety this high.I'd take rodgers or powell,but not both.Poweel would be my pick on the fourth as Woodhead may not be much behind rodgers,if at all,let's see what he does during this season and if they can re-sign him.Prince will play big time CB in the NFL but is there is a way to get Peterson,go for it,he is simply superb.Kerrigan and Ballard are B.B.kind of guys....Very nice job!
    Posted by kebbe[/QUOTE]

kebbe,
    Thanks!  I had the same dicussion about Jacquizz/Woodhead with another poster and I can't disagree at this point, though there is always room for versatile offensive playmakers.  The tough part is trying to identify 7 players (assuming they make all 7 picks) to draft.  I may end up adding in another lineman (OG or C) before all is said and done.

IMO, Meriweather isn't in the long term plans so it would make sense for them to draft/develop another young safety.  Josh Barret would be in his 3rd season and hasn't shown to be anything more than roster depth at this point and Sanders/Page haven't shown much in the way of coverage.  Page is still new to the system and could develop but I think an influx of youth and talent (preferably with the ability to cover/make plays) at S is still a need.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1*** : I don't think so with Kerrigan (no opinion on the rest). Kerrigan is playing himself up draft boards. His problem will be with measurables. At 6'4, 265, he's got the size. 4.8+ 40 will be a big turnoff. For the Patriots and 3-4 teams, he's a 2nd round pick, maybe 3rd or 4th. For a 4-3, he could be taken at an end spot. Then he has a better chance of getting picked in the first round, but still late first round, unless the Jags take him.
    Posted by KyleCleric2[/QUOTE]

He has the roughly the same measurables and 40 time as Cunningham (6-4 266 4.86) and Cunningham was taken 53rd overall. Both were/are DE's in college though Kerrigan is a lot higher rated player coming into this draft than Cunningham was leading up to the 2010 draft.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1*** : He has the roughly the same measurables and 40 time as Cunningham (6-4 266 4.86) and Cunningham was taken 53rd overall. Both were/are DE's in college though Kerrigan is a lot higher rated player coming into this draft than Cunningham was leading up to the 2010 draft.
    that doesn't change what i said. players with those measurables don't usually do better than the second round

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]1a. Prince Amukamara CB 6-0 200 another McCourty type CB, 4 down player has great ball skills.  It gives a new look to NE CBs, taller bigger.  1b. Jeremy Beal OLB 6'3" 260 I'm not convinced we'll need to spend a high pick on a OLB, watch Cunningham and Nink the rest of the year.  If there's a need to get a stud I think Beal could be that guy.   2a. Matt Reynolds OT 6'6" 325 (Junior) He may be a 1st rounder but I would not mind him slipping if there's a run on D players or QBs.  A few places has him ranked as the top Junior tackle in the country. 2b.  Kenny Tate FS 6'4" 220 (Junior)  converted WR, only 3 years of S experience but looks and plays the part.  He's a Junior and might now declare but he's stock is on the rise.  Another 4 down player. 3a. Jarvis Jenkins DT/DE 6'4" 315 Very agile for a 315 pounder, could help at DE although Deadrick might proof to be a starter yet.  3b. John Moffitt G/C 6'5" 320 Will add depth and give BB another versitile inside guy.  Has played both guard and center 4 Brandon Saine RB 6'0" 220 speedy RB who will deliver a hit on tacklers.  Can be spread out wide and has the speed to move with CBs and beat LBs. 6 Kris Adams WR 6'3" 195 player to develop, probably a PS for a year or two.  Needs to polish routes.
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

I have not seen his tema's games so I some 2009 videos of Jenkins on youtube...if he's consistent at playing as shown on those videos, man he would be a good catch. before seeing that I was skeptical because has a bit of a midsection hanging. he moves thought.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1*** : Kerrigan in particular could work his way into the top 10-15 or so the rise in his draft stock would indicate. Carimi is a kid I watched some tape on last night (then added him to my mock).  Played with great aggression, moved his feet well, showed the ability to effectively block at the 2nd level, drives his man off the ball, sometimes 10 yards down field etc.  With an apparent down year for OT's he could certainly rise if he maintains his level of play.

I guess that's what I'm getting at.  There aren't a lot of tackles that are listed high in the draft for some reason.  DEs seem to dominate the landscape.  I don't see how Carimi escapes the top 15.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]2011 MOCK V1 (Rounds 1-4)   I’m looking for BB to continue his roster overhaul adding even more talent, speed, intelligence, versatility and character to their roster.   Below is my first attempt at predicting what direction they may go:      Rd 1 (Raiders) – Prince Amukamara (6-0 203 CB Nebraska)- Senior :   An elite talent, great size, speed combo for a CB, shut down potential, scheme diverse, solid/secure tackler, great instincts and recognition skills, excellent ball skills.   He could immediately push Bodden for a starting position opposite McCourty.   Rd 1 (Assigned) – Ryan Kerrigan (6-4 263 OLB/DE Purdue) – Senior :   Ideal size with good instincts with ability to get after the QB, pressure the pocket and make plays behind the LOS.   He’s also shown the ability to set the edge vs. the run and didn’t look out of place when asked to drop into coverage.   He was the team MVP for the 2009 season, is a captain in 2010 and is a two-time Big Ten All-Academic recipient.   Rd 2 (Panthers) – Gabe Carimi (6-7 318 OT Wisconsin )- Senior :   A big, tough, strong, nasty, smart.   He’s the typical blue-collar type OT that BB generally targets.   He could be the eventual starter at RT assuming Vollmer moves to LT.   Rd 2 (Assigned) - Christian Ballard (6-4 296 DE Iowa) – Senior :   Possesses the size and length that BB covets in his 5-techs.   He’s smart, versatile, and stout at the POA, has the ability to get after the QB and has the Iowa/Ferentz pedigree.   He may get some 1 st round consideration.   Rd 3 (Vikings) - Robert Sands (6-5 220 S WVU) - Junior :   Great size/speed combo, good instincts and ball skills, aggressive yet secure tackler.   He could be the long term compliment to Chung in the NE secondary. Rd 3 (Assigned)- Jacquizz Rodgers (5-7 190 RB/WR Oregon State)- Junior :   Tough as nails, plays with a chip on his shoulder, elite speed and quickness, electric with the ball in his hands, would provide a ton of value/versatility/big play ability to the offense.    Rd 4- (Broncos)-***TRADED TO SEATTLE FOR BRANCH***   Rd 4- (Assigned)- Bilal Powell (6-0 215 RB Louisville)- Senior :   A relative unknown at this point, he possesses a great combo of power, burst and vision, shows some big play ability (3 70+ yd TD runs in 2010) and reminds me of Frank Gore in both looks and running style.   He would bring an upgrade of youth and talent to the NE backfield allowing BJGE to move back to a #2 or #3 back which I think better fits his skill set.  

I do like Carimi and think he blend in nicely as a RT.

I don't however think spending a top 10 pick on a cb is way to soon for this team. You still have Bodden locked up for 3 more years and you aren't about to move him to nickel. McCourty looks like the real deal and you won't be moving him to nickel either. Drafting a CB that high means someone's playing nickel and being wasted. If it's a top 10 pick I expect then to fortify their lines first both adding depth to a second unit in the nickel.

I like Kerrigan but not that early. As a OLB right now he's a mid 2nd to 3rd, his value is higher for a 43 DE though. That could change but I still like Beal over Kerrigan. Beal seems more like the prototypical rusher who has a ton of experience in the 2 point and better overall size and atheletism.

You know my feelings on Woodhead. I don't want to use a pick on another player similiar to him, Rodgers.   But another line player like Boren would be great in that pick.

I do like Powell and plan to continu watching him. His size speed and between the tackels running style seems to fit perfectly with BJGE and Woodhead. I would love to have him on the team.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1*** : I do like Carimi and think he blend in nicely as a RT. I don't however think spending a top 10 pick on a cb is way to soon for this team. You still have Bodden locked up for 3 more years and you aren't about to move him to nickel. McCourty looks like the real deal and you won't be moving him to nickel either. Drafting a CB that high means someone's playing nickel and being wasted. If it's a top 10 pick I expect then to fortify their lines first both adding depth to a second unit in the nickel. I like Kerrigan but not that early. As a OLB right now he's a mid 2nd to 3rd, his value is higher for a 43 DE though. That could change but I still like Beal over Kerrigan. Beal seems more like the prototypical rusher who has a ton of experience in the 2 point and better overall size and atheletism. You know my feelings on Woodhead. I don't want to use a pick on another player similiar to him, Rodgers.   But another line player like Boren would be great in that pick. I do like Powell and plan to continu watching him. His size speed and between the tackels running style seems to fit perfectly with BJGE and Woodhead. I would love to have him on the team.
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

HI PE,

I'm with mb on this one this is why, you loss Bodden for the season and now you have Arrington starting at CB.  A CB as special as this kid shows he could be might be too tempting to pass up.  Keep going back to BB's comments on McCourty and saying he wants 4 down players that high.

Now I'm about to throw something out there, Bodden moved to FS?  I don't think it would be too much of a stretch for Bodden to transition to FS.  He's big and can run, he's good in coverage and a sure tackler.  I hope Butler gets another shot this season to see if he can bounce back or might need another year to develop that confidence.  

IMO Merri's days are numbered and injuries might be the only reason he sees the field.  Either Bodden a FA or draftee will move into his role next season. 

Looking at the play of both OLBs and DEs this season and by end of year those two spots might not be as high on the wish list as we all think right now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsNut5480. Show PatsNut5480's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1*** : HI PE, I'm with mb on this one this is why, you loss Bodden for the season and now you have Arrington starting at CB.  A CB as special as this kid shows he could be might be too tempting to pass up.  Keep going back to BB's comments on McCourty and saying he wants 4 down players that high. Now I'm about to throw something out there, Bodden moved to FS?  I don't think it would be too much of a stretch for Bodden to transition to FS.  He's big and can run, he's good in coverage and a sure tackler.  I hope Butler gets another shot this season to see if he can bounce back or might need another year to develop that confidence.   IMO Merri's days are numbered and injuries might be the only reason he sees the field.  Either Bodden a FA or draftee will move into his role next season.  Looking at the play of both OLBs and DEs this season and by end of year those two spots might not be as high on the wish list as we all think right now.

I'm with you Pats 7393 and MB.  I like the idea of drafting a corner with the first pick.  I think Oakland's pick might be higher than you think after looking at their schedule.  It's a good shot at a top 5.  If that's the case I'm all over Patrick Peterson.  He's the prototype CB right now with the size and speed.  He has the capability to shut down half the field.  Our other 2nd round pick would be the pass rusher.  I do like Kerrigan a lot based on his power, motor and smarts.  Speed and coverage are my concerns with him though. 

I never thought about Bodden at safety.  I think it's a good idea.  You do see a lot of corners switching over to safety with success to lengthen their career.  I can't stand Meriweather and I too think he'll be gone after this year.  If we do trade him what do you think we'd get for him.  Some team that would let him freelance would be a good fit.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]2011 MOCK V1 (Rounds 1-4)   I’m looking for BB to continue his roster overhaul adding even more talent, speed, intelligence, versatility and character to their roster.   Below is my first attempt at predicting what direction they may go:      Rd 1 (Raiders) – Prince Amukamara (6-0 203 CB Nebraska)- Senior :   An elite talent, great size, speed combo for a CB, shut down potential, scheme diverse, solid/secure tackler, great instincts and recognition skills, excellent ball skills.   He could immediately push Bodden for a starting position opposite McCourty.   Rd 1 (Assigned) – Ryan Kerrigan (6-4 263 OLB/DE Purdue) – Senior :   Ideal size with good instincts with ability to get after the QB, pressure the pocket and make plays behind the LOS.   He’s also shown the ability to set the edge vs. the run and didn’t look out of place when asked to drop into coverage.   He was the team MVP for the 2009 season, is a captain in 2010 and is a two-time Big Ten All-Academic recipient.   Rd 2 (Panthers) – Gabe Carimi (6-7 318 OT Wisconsin )- Senior :   A big, tough, strong, nasty, smart.   He’s the typical blue-collar type OT that BB generally targets.   He could be the eventual starter at RT assuming Vollmer moves to LT.   Rd 2 (Assigned) - Christian Ballard (6-4 296 DE Iowa) – Senior :   Possesses the size and length that BB covets in his 5-techs.   He’s smart, versatile, and stout at the POA, has the ability to get after the QB and has the Iowa/Ferentz pedigree.   He may get some 1 st round consideration.   Rd 3 (Vikings) - Robert Sands (6-5 220 S WVU) - Junior :   Great size/speed combo, good instincts and ball skills, aggressive yet secure tackler.   He could be the long term compliment to Chung in the NE secondary. Rd 3 (Assigned)- Jacquizz Rodgers (5-7 190 RB/WR Oregon State)- Junior :   Tough as nails, plays with a chip on his shoulder, elite speed and quickness, electric with the ball in his hands, would provide a ton of value/versatility/big play ability to the offense.    Rd 4- (Broncos)-***TRADED TO SEATTLE FOR BRANCH***   Rd 4- (Assigned)- Bilal Powell (6-0 215 RB Louisville)- Senior :   A relative unknown at this point, he possesses a great combo of power, burst and vision, shows some big play ability (3 70+ yd TD runs in 2010) and reminds me of Frank Gore in both looks and running style.   He would bring an upgrade of youth and talent to the NE backfield allowing BJGE to move back to a #2 or #3 back which I think better fits his skill set.  
    Hey Mb, I've been away from this thread for a few days.  Just checked out your mock.  This would be amazing.  I love every pick and actually think you've got each player in the right spot the way the early boards are ranking them.  The only slight change I'd make is I wouldn't take Rodgers.  I think Woodhead is our guy.  He gets better each week.  I'd rather use that pick on a big nasty OG that can move.  Schilling or Boling perhaps?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1*** : I'm with you Pats 7393 and MB.  I like the idea of drafting a corner with the first pick.  I think Oakland's pick might be higher than you think after looking at their schedule.  It's a good shot at a top 5.  If that's the case I'm all over Patrick Peterson.  He's the prototype CB right now with the size and speed.  He has the capability to shut down half the field.  Our other 2nd round pick would be the pass rusher.  I do like Kerrigan a lot based on his power, motor and smarts.  Speed and coverage are my concerns with him though.  I never thought about Bodden at safety.  I think it's a good idea.  You do see a lot of corners switching over to safety with success to lengthen their career.  I can't stand Meriweather and I too think he'll be gone after this year.  If we do trade him what do you think we'd get for him.  Some team that would let him freelance would be a good fit.
    Posted by PatsNut5480[/QUOTE]
    If we're at 5 I agree, we have to get Peterson or AJ Green.  I know BB doesn't draft WR in the first round but Branch is a stop gap WR who has a long checkered past with the injury bug.  Peterson would be my first choice by far.  I'd actually keep Bodden at CB for a year and move McCourty to the slot.  McCourty has the quickness to be effective there.  If we are at 5 and Peterson is gone and Green doesn't declare, I'd try to move back a spot or too and go with Amukamara.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1*** : I do like Carimi and think he blend in nicely as a RT. I don't however think spending a top 10 pick on a cb is way to soon for this team. You still have Bodden locked up for 3 more years and you aren't about to move him to nickel. McCourty looks like the real deal and you won't be moving him to nickel either. Drafting a CB that high means someone's playing nickel and being wasted. If it's a top 10 pick I expect then to fortify their lines first both adding depth to a second unit in the nickel. I like Kerrigan but not that early. As a OLB right now he's a mid 2nd to 3rd, his value is higher for a 43 DE though. That could change but I still like Beal over Kerrigan. Beal seems more like the prototypical rusher who has a ton of experience in the 2 point and better overall size and atheletism. You know my feelings on Woodhead. I don't want to use a pick on another player similiar to him, Rodgers.   But another line player like Boren would be great in that pick. I do like Powell and plan to continu watching him. His size speed and between the tackels running style seems to fit perfectly with BJGE and Woodhead. I would love to have him on the team.
    All good points.  But I don't think moving McCourty to nickel would be wasting him.  He would see the field on half the plays and would be on all the Special Teams.  I'd use him returning punts instead of Welker.  The goal is to have a lock down secondary.  Take our biggest weakness and make it our biggest strength. 

I agree completely with you on Woodhead and just read back and think MB is in agreement too.  Each week the kid gets better and more involved.  Hopefully by the end of the year we'll be saying, "Faulk who?"  Oops, that sounded dangerously close to another phrase, lol.

As for Kerrigan, Beal and the other OLB, edge rusher types, I haven't formed a strong opinion yet.  I do think our 1st or CAR 2nd would be the right spot if we are going for a lockdown corner with the OAK pick.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

Is it official we traded Denver's 4th and not our own? Everything I have read just says 4th round pick, no clarification.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I do like Carimi and think he blend in nicely as a RT.

I don't however think spending a top 10 pick on a cb is way to soon for this team. You still have Bodden locked up for 3 more years and you aren't about to move him to nickel. McCourty looks like the real deal and you won't be moving him to nickel either. Drafting a CB that high means someone's playing nickel and being wasted. If it's a top 10 pick I expect then to fortify their lines first both adding depth to a second unit in the nickel.
     I disagree, CB depth/talent is a huge issue on their current roster and Amukamara is one of the elite talents in the draft and a potential impact defender.  You don’t pass up elite talents because of assumed starters (Bodden), you take the player and let the cards fall where they may.  If there’s an elite DE available when they select, I think that would be the other option.
    I like Kerrigan but not that early. As a OLB right now he's a mid 2nd to 3rd, his value is higher for a 43 DE though. That could change but I still like Beal over Kerrigan. Beal seems more like the prototypical rusher who has a ton of experience in the 2 point and better overall size and atheletism.
     I do like Beal as well and think he’s another good 3-4 edge option though I’m not sure about him having “better overall size….” as Kerrigan is listed at 6-4 263 to Beal’s 6-3 267.

You know my feelings on Woodhead. I don't want to use a pick on another player similiar to him, Rodgers.   But another line player like Boren would be great in that pick.
     I don’t disagree and may eventually go that route.  We’ll know more by the end of the season.
    I do like Powell and plan to continu watching him. His size speed and between the tackels running style seems to fit perfectly with BJGE and Woodhead. I would love to have him on the team.
     Indeed, I’m interested to see how the kid performs the rest of the season and will be a player I track weekly.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1*** : Hey Mb, I've been away from this thread for a few days.  Just checked out your mock.  This would be amazing.  I love every pick and actually think you've got each player in the right spot the way the early boards are ranking them.  The only slight change I'd make is I wouldn't take Rodgers.  I think Woodhead is our guy.  He gets better each week.  I'd rather use that pick on a big nasty OG that can move.  Schilling or Boling perhaps?
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

Faucet,
    Thanks!  I don't disagree on the Rodgers part and may eventually go that route before all is said and done.  I do think Woodhead has proved his worth thus far and could be a long term fix.  Schilling and Boling are both guys that I'm keeping an eye on, another guy that interests me is Keith Williams (6-5 310) the OG from Nebraska, most sites don't say much about him, but one site has him listed as the top interior OL available to this point in the season.  Does your bro have anything on him?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

And sometimes you have to go out on a limb and mine is defending Meri. He is not without fault but last weeks game might have been his best as a Patriot ( look past the one head shot, not the hit itself, just the 15yrds ). Missed no tackles, was in position on every play, and hit people as hard as any saftey could. Yes he has had problems staying within the scheme of the defense but so far this year his performance has been solid. Chung and Mayo have cleaned up all the tackles in front of him ( as they should ) and we have not been beaten deep over the middle to often. People mention the fact he was not showing up much, thats a good thing for a deep safety. I have not seen any of the whiffing this year?
    I know people think he is a thug, from the "U", not the brightest bulb, and he made some bad plays ( also some good ones ).
    But I feel like he has been blacklisted in alot of minds and there is no coming back from that. I just do not think like that, I dont care a thing about him other than how he performs on Sunday.

So bottom line is he is a decent player and may be able to play well enough this season to say on the field and be resigned ( better not hold out for the big $, then say cya ). There is still upside here 

So based on the next 10 or more games will determine if we must draft a S. If Meri plays well it would be a wasted pick.

Don't want to start a debate on him, I know alot of your feelings here already and sry if this isn't the place. Just think alot of you selecting S in the 2nd or 3rd round may be jumping the gun a bit based on our other needs. If you do want a S then we need one who is better than Meri, not just "Not Him". How bout we take that 2nd, trade for a 2012 1st ( if possible ) and select the best S on the board. This way we have a better chance of bringing in an upgrade and Meri plays out his contract. We may get a comp pick ( if he can maintain a high level through then ) and we dont have to resign a " Bad Egg " which I agree is not good buisness. I am just not convinced yet that he is that "Bad Egg", Wilfork did back him up after the game, and he has not had any dicipline issue's off the field. I just see a overzealous hitter who is still growing up out there every Sunday. I don't care if he was 1st rounder or 7th after the fact, they can all get benched to learn some things. I hope he learns them and we can think about OLB's, OT's, RB's, WR's and trading a few for 2012 so we can continue to own these drafts every year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1*** : HI PE, I'm with mb on this one this is why, you loss Bodden for the season and now you have Arrington starting at CB.  A CB as special as this kid shows he could be might be too tempting to pass up.  Keep going back to BB's comments on McCourty and saying he wants 4 down players that high. Now I'm about to throw something out there, Bodden moved to FS?  I don't think it would be too much of a stretch for Bodden to transition to FS.  He's big and can run, he's good in coverage and a sure tackler.  I hope Butler gets another shot this season to see if he can bounce back or might need another year to develop that confidence.   IMO Merri's days are numbered and injuries might be the only reason he sees the field.  Either Bodden a FA or draftee will move into his role next season.  Looking at the play of both OLBs and DEs this season and by end of year those two spots might not be as high on the wish list as we all think right now.

That's certainly thinking outside the box, it may never happen, but I don't think it's a bad idea. His good size, anticipation, instincts, ball skills and ability to tackle securely would translate well, though they'd certainly need to bring another CB in first.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Is it official we traded Denver's 4th and not our own? Everything I have read just says 4th round pick, no clarification.
    Posted by Asher77[/QUOTE]

Seattle will receive the higher of the two picks.  I based my mock on the assumption that NE will finish better than Denver though that's certainly not a guarantee.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options: Player Spotlight Week 1

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options: Player Spotlight Week 1:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options: Player Spotlight Week 1 : ShiningWizard, I agree, his size/strength and ability against the run make him an ideal 3 down player. Miller showed a great ability to get after the QB last season leading the nation with 17 sacks (Kerrigan tied for 4th overall with 12) but what concerns me is his size.  He's listed at 6-2 243 which leads me to believe he will measure in shorter and lighter than that (as a lot of players generally are listed bigger than they are).  With that being said, I wouldn't have him on my list of potential NE targets due to his size.  While BB has no issue with acquiring players (via trade/free agency) that are shorter/lighter than ideal, he has shown no willingness to draft these types of players.  It's almost as if he wants to see them perform in the NFL level before giving them a shot.  Texas A&M is implementing a 3-4 this year, so he'll have a year in the system, which if successful (vs. the run, in coverage and rushing the QB), might force BB to re-evaluate his size premium for the position. 
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE

what sizes are the colts ends??   quickness and strength are the important items

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

[QUOTE]As a point of reference,  below is a list (put together on this past April's draft thread) of a lot of the top players by position in the country.  This list is very fluid (i.e. I just added Jack Crawford this AM) so please feel free to suggest adding/taking away a player. 2011 Draft Options   Michael Floyd- WR- Notre Dame Julio Jones- WR- Alabama Austin Pettis- WR- Boise State Jonathan Baldwin- WR- Pitt Ryan Broyles- WR- Oklahoma A.J. Green- WR- Georgia Mark Ingram- RB- Alabama Noel Devine- RB- West Virginia Ryan Williams- RB- Virginia Tech Daniel Thomas- RB- Kansas State Evan Royster- RB- Penn State Demarco Murray- RB- Oklahoma Allen Bradford- RB- USC Kyle Rudolph- T E- Notre Dame Owen Marecic- FB- Stanford Stanley Havili- FB- USC Jake Locker- QB- Washington Ryan Mallet- QB- Arkansas Andrew Luck- QB- Stanford John Brantley- QB- Florida Blaine Gabbert- QB- Missouri Christian Ponder- QB- FSU Greg Romeus- DE- Pitt Marcel Dareus- DE- Alabama Adrian Clayborn- DE – Iowa Jarvis Jenkins- DE- Clemson Cameron Jordan- DE- Cal Jared Crick- DT/DE- Nebraska Allen Bailey- DT/DE- Miami Marvin Austin- DT/DE- UNC Cameron Heyward- DT/DE- Ohio State Ryan Kerrigan- DE/OLB- Purdue Robert Quinn- DE/OLB- UNC Jack Crawford- DE/OLB- Penn State Quan Sturdivant- ILB- North Carolina Mark Herlzich- OLB- Boston College Cliff Mathews- OLB- South Carolina Akeem Ayers- OLB- UCLA Chris Galippo- ILB- USC Tank Carder- ILB- TCU Dante Hightower- LB- Alabama Patrick Peterson- CB- LSU Prince Amukamara- CB- Nebraska Tyler Sash- S- Iowa Mark Barron- S- Alabama Rahim Moore- S- UCLA Anthony Castonzo- OT- Boston College Gabe Carimi- OT- Wisconsin Matt Reynolds- OT- BYU Nate Solder- OT- Colorado Nate Potter- OT- Boise State Mike Pouncey- C- Florida Justin Boren- C- Ohio State  

MB;

You're a busy guy! Thanks or sharing all your research and insight with us all.

I'm kind of surprised that more guys on this board aren't talking RB in the first round. I think we desperately need the bruiser that we haven't had since Corey Dillon.

What's your evaluation of Mark Ingram in  a Pats uniform? Anyone else out there worthy of a 1st rounder? 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options: Player Spotlight Week 1 : [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options: Player Spotlight Week 1 : ShiningWizard, I agree, his size/strength and ability against the run make him an ideal 3 down player. Miller showed a great ability to get after the QB last season leading the nation with 17 sacks (Kerrigan tied for 4th overall with 12) but what concerns me is his size.  He's listed at 6-2 243 which leads me to believe he will measure in shorter and lighter than that (as a lot of players generally are listed bigger than they are).  With that being said, I wouldn't have him on my list of potential NE targets due to his size.  While BB has no issue with acquiring players (via trade/free agency) that are shorter/lighter than ideal, he has shown no willingness to draft these types of players.  It's almost as if he wants to see them perform in the NFL level before giving them a shot.  Texas A&M is implementing a 3-4 this year, so he'll have a year in the system, which if successful (vs. the run, in coverage and rushing the QB), might force BB to re-evaluate his size premium for the position.  Posted by mbeaulieu07

[/QUOTE what sizes are the colts ends??   quickness and strength are the important items
    Posted by fishers5[/QUOTE]

The Colts run a completely different scheme (base 4-3/tampa 2 vs. NE's 3-4) so comparisons to their 'front 7' personnel preferences don't apply to NE.

With that being said, I've never said quickness and strength aren't important.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

You are right. It's really hard to pass on that kind of depth and talent at CB. But I don't think you draft that high to move one of your budding stars or a high draft pick to only play half the downs. If you look at the high picks BB has made in his career they all have one thing in common. They all replaced a backup player with a 4 down player. Replacing 1 4 down player with another just seems like a waste when you can have the chance to put in a 4 down player in either the lines or the OLB.

However, I do like the idea of moving Bodden to FS if it were possible. It would solve a couple of problems and would make room to have a rotation of McCourty, Bodden, X-CB, and Meriweather (if he's still around). That would keep them fresh and make our secondary a great strength.

Assuming that Bodden can move to FS and CB in a rotation while keeping McCourty and X-CB on the field for 70% of the snaps I'll be more then happy selecting an elite CB early.

However, if Bodden wouldn't be able to move over then I'd much rather upgrade the Dline or OLB. Don't forget our pass rush is kinda weak and a great pass rush can make up for a weaker secondary. But an elite secondary can't always provide enough coverage for a weaker pass rush.