Notice: All Boston.com forums will be retired as of May 31st, 2016 and will not be archived. Thank you for your participation in this community, and we hope you continue to enjoy other content at Boston.com.

2011 Patriots Draft Options ***THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED!***

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1***

I think Patrick Peterson is at the top of my list for the Oakland pick, but I'm not optimistic he will be there. I truly believe Amukamara from Nebraska isn't in the same league as Peterson and is more in line with the lower 1st round prospects. His measureables are more impressive than his play....Justin Blackmon of Oklahoma State torched him yesterday...and he hasn't played the best WR's in the country...Peterson gives you the big play return ability, as well.

I'm a big Marcell Dareus fan...the guy is moving up the boards fast...due to his skill and ability to play in 3-4 and 4-3 sets..he would be a great consolation prize if Peterson is off the board.

Was excited to see Jeremy Beal play last night and he left me unimpressed. Would be interested in others takes from yesterdays college football...

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1***:
    I think Patrick Peterson is at the top of my list for the Oakland pick, but I'm not optimistic he will be there. I truly believe Amukamara from Nebraska isn't in the same league as Peterson and is more in line with the lower 1st round prospects. His measureables are more impressive than his play....Justin Blackmon of Oklahoma State torched him yesterday...and he hasn't played the best WR's in the country...Peterson gives you the big play return ability, as well. I'm a big Marcell Dareus fan...the guy is moving up the boards fast...due to his skill and ability to play in 3-4 and 4-3 sets..he would be a great consolation prize if Peterson is off the board. Was excited to see Jeremy Beal play last night and he left me unimpressed. Would be interested in others takes from yesterdays college football...
    Posted by mcboyd22

Not a good day from Amukamara and the rest of the Black Shirts for that matter.  However half of Blackmon's yards (he leads the nation in receiving yards and TD's) came on one 80 yard play where the entire Husker secondary bit on a flee flicker, they appeared to be in a cover two alignment and both safeties (who generally are responsible for the deep halves) bit on the run fake.  He did show elite recovery speed (see link below) on the play though but Blackmon made an excellent play on the ball. 

Move to the 25 second mark of the below link:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?categoryId=2564308&id=5720154

Blackmon was held to one catch for 3 yards in the 3rd quarter with the game still close then picked up a 25 yard TD with about a minute and a half left in the game with OSU down by 17.  I don't have vid of that play (or any of the Blackmon vs. Amukamara 2nd half match up for that matter) so I don't know what coverage/assignments were in play.

I disagree that he's a lower 1st round prospect, he's a consensus top 5-10 prospect in this class.  I do agree that Peterson is the best CB available though.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I can't reiterate enough how much of a player Nick Fairley is. If anyone missed the Tiger Bowl, it was a close game, and Fairley was the difference maker. Three sacks, and one on the game's most crucial third down. It simply doesn't matter if Auburn's DB crew is suspect when Fairley is consistently blowing up the QB.  He is 6'5" and is listed at 298, but that is short changing the guy. He literally splits triple-teams. There isn't another front seven player with his blend of power and speed, IMO.  Totally hope NE can snare this guy, because he is the missing piece up front.
    Posted by zbellino

Yeah, kid is a stud, a QB killer, violently driving them into the ground given a clean shot and as you pointed out, is generally unblockable a lot of the time.  I don't see how he's not regarded as a top 5-10 prospect come draft time. He's on my short list of players that I hope NE targets with Oak's pick (assuming it's top 10), which at this point is 4 players; Peterson, Amukamara, Fairley and Dareus.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1*** : Faucet, Great stuff!!  Oddly enough, I was thinking about adding Ricky Henry to my original question (there isn't much out about him either), glad the scout touched off on him as well.  As I've been looking to add an OG to my mock, he may now be the guy.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

You know, we could add an OT and two C/OG types in the draft and it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all.  If we consider that Light isn't worth the $5MM + he will want next year, Neal is pushing 90 and Mankins is gone the need at OL becomes clear.  I do think Connolly has established himself at one of those interior spots and he can play all three.  For years I've been feeling Kaczur could be upgraded assuming he recovers for next year.  I also feel the same way about Koppen.  All these guys are over 30.  Wendell and Ohrnberger are undersized at 6-2, 290-300.  I really think we need to re-build our line around Vollmer and Connolly at this point with LeVoir in the mix.  I'm not saying we cut Koppen, Neal or Kaczur.  I think we keep them one more year to develop some new guys behind them and let competition play itself out in camp next year.

I was really impressed with Gabe Carimi yesterday.  He squared off against Adrian Clayborn all day yesterday and pretty much handled him.  I've got Clayborn as the top rated DE in the country.  There were a couple of times that Clayborn got around Carimi and got pressure on the QB but in those cases the QB held the ball too long.  I didn't see the whole game but for the most part that I did watch Carimi was impressive.  His buddy next to him at LG, Moffit was also impressive.  Clearly the left side of that Wisconsin line got the better of Iowa's vaulted DL.  Wisconsin ran through those guys all day long.  It doesn't hurt when you have a bulldozer in John Clay either.  I'd take Clay, Moffit and Carimi if I could.

If I could dream for a minute, I might do something like this.

1a. CB Patrick Peterson, LSU, 6-0, 211, 4.42  or Prince Amukamara, Nebraska 6-0, 200, 4.49.  Let's make our weakest position a strength.  Butler and Wheatley appear to be busts, one of them can go.  Wihite at least gives some depth but Bodden, McCourty and one of these guys would be our nucleus and finally solidify a secondary for years to come that has been suspect since Samuel left.

1b. OT Gabe Carimi, Wisconsin 6-7, 322, 5.12 He handled the nation's best DE all day and that's good enough for me.  With Light likely leaving we bring in a new LT which allow Vollmer to stay on the right side where he is a beast in the run game.

2a. OLB Ryan Kerrigan, Purdue, 6-4, 263, 4.82 A DE in college, Kerrigan racked up 25 sacks.  He projects as a 34 OLB in the NFL.  A team captain, who is smart, can bench 475 lbs and has the nickname "Superman" makes me wonder if he may go higher than 34 where I have him.  If he's gone, perhaps Mark Herzlich here.

2b. DT Nick Fairley, Auburn, 6-4, 298, 4.98. By draft day this kid could be a first rounder if he declares.  He's been called the MVP of defensive linemen in the SEC.  He has the perfect size and big play ability you want from a 5 technique DE.  He could be a steal if still there late 50s, early 60s.

3a. RG Ricky Henry, Nebraska, 6-3, 305, 5.28.  He hasn't been talked about much until now but he's a mean and nasty guard who used to give Ndamukong Suh fits in practice. 

3b. LG John Moffit, Wisconsin, 6-4, 323, 5.28.  He's a big part of the best OL in college and received first team All Big 10 honors last year.  He has played a little at center giving BB some diversity that he loves on his OL.

4. WR Derrell Johnson-Koulianos, Iowa, 6-0, 200, 4.52.  He won't set the world on fire but by the time he hangs up his college cleats he will be the all time leading receiver at Iowa.  He's a solid route runner with sure hands and can absorb the big hit while holding onto the football.  He could be the perfect 3rd WR option for Brady.     

I know, no running backs.  BB will pick up a couple in free agency like he always does and perhaps we take one with our 6th round comp pick.  With $25MM in cap space we should be able to sign a #1 WR, a #1 RB and perhaps a stud FS.  I haven't checked out who might be available but this will be the deepest F/A class ever. 

This draft solidifies our secondary and OL for years and also provides upgrades to OLB and DL.  Thoughts? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1*** : Yeah, kid is a stud, a QB killer, violently driving them into the ground given a clean shot.  I don't see how he's not regarded as a top 5-10 prospect come draft time. He's on my short list of players that I hope NE targets with Oak's pick.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

Wow, you already have Failey in the top 10?  Could be the draft experts haven't caught up yet.  You're going to make me go back and redo my last post.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1*** : You know, we could add an OT and two C/OG types in the draft and it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all.  If we consider that Light isn't worth the $5MM + he will want next year, Neal is pushing 90 and Mankins is gone the need at OL becomes clear.  I do think Connolly has established himself at one of those interior spots and he can play all three.  For years I've been feeling Kaczur could be upgraded assuming he recovers for next year.  I also feel the same way about Koppen.  All these guys are over 30.  Wendell and Ohrnberger are undersized at 6-2, 290-300.  I really think we need to re-build our line around Vollmer and Connolly at this point with LeVoir in the mix.  I'm not saying we cut Koppen, Neal or Kaczur.  I think we keep them one more year to develop some new guys behind them and let competition play itself out in camp next year. I was really impressed with Gabe Carimi yesterday.  He squared off against Adrian Clayborn all day yesterday and pretty much handled him.  I've got Clayborn as the top rated DE in the country.  There were a couple of times that Clayborn got around Carimi and got pressure on the QB but in those cases the QB held the ball too long.  I didn't see the whole game but for the most part that I did watch Carimi was impressive.  His buddy next to him at LG, Moffit was also impressive.  Clearly the left side of that Wisconsin line got the better of Iowa's vaulted DL.  Wisconsin ran through those guys all day long.  It doesn't hurt when you have a bulldozer in John Clay either.  I'd take Clay, Moffit and Carimi if I could. If I could dream for a minute, I might do something like this. 1a. CB Patrick Peterson , LSU, 6-0, 211, 4.42   or Prince Amukamara , Nebraska 6-0, 200, 4.49.  Let's make our weakest position a strength.  Butler and Wheatley appear to be busts, one of them can go.  Wihite at least gives some depth but Bodden, McCourty and one of these guys would be our nucleus and finally solidify a secondary for years to come that has been suspect since Samuel left. 1b. OT Gabe Carimi , Wisconsin 6-7, 322, 5.12 He handled the nation's best DE all day and that's good enough for me.  With Light likely leaving we bring in a new LT which allow Vollmer to stay on the right side where he is a beast in the run game. 2a.  OLB Ryan Kerrigan , Purdue, 6-4, 263, 4.82 A DE in college, Kerrigan racked up 25 sacks.  He projects as a 34 OLB in the NFL.  A team captain, who is smart, can bench 475 lbs and has the nickname "Superman" makes me wonder if he may go higher than 34 where I have him.  If he's gone, perhaps Mark Herzlich here. 2b.  DT Nick Fairley , Auburn, 6-4, 298, 4.98. By draft day this kid could be a first rounder if he declares.  He's been called the MVP of defensive linemen in the SEC.  He has the perfect size and big play ability you want from a 5 technique DE.  He could be a steal if still there late 50s, early 60s. 3a.  RG Ricky Henry , Nebraska, 6-3, 305, 5.28.  He hasn't been talked about much until now but he's a mean and nasty guard who used to give Ndamukong Suh fits in practice.  3b.  LG John Moffit , Wisconsin, 6-4, 323, 5.28.  He's a big part of the best OL in college and received first team All Big 10 honors last year.  He has played a little at center giving BB some diversity that he loves on his OL. 4.  WR Derrell Johnson-Koulianos , Iowa, 6-0, 200, 4.52.  He won't set the world on fire but by the time he hangs up his college cleats he will be the all time leading receiver at Iowa.  He's a solid route runner with sure hands and can absorb the big hit while holding onto the football.  He could be the perfect 3rd WR option for Brady.      I know, no running backs.  BB will pick up a couple in free agency like he always does and perhaps we take one with our 6th round comp pick.  With $25MM in cap space we should be able to sign a #1 WR, a #1 RB and perhaps a stud FS.  I haven't checked out who might be available but this will be the deepest F/A class ever.  This draft solidifies our secondary and OL for years and also provides upgrades to OLB and DL.  Thoughts? 
    Posted by Faucetman

We like a lot of the same guys, I'd love to see Herzlich on this roster and like that he already plays primarily out of a two point stance, is strong vs the run and has excelled in coverage.  The kid is the epitome of the coachable, hard nosed, blue collar (I'm letting the clichés flow today) type player that BB has won with.  The big worry will be his long term health.

I'm also firmly onboard with you on Henry and will be a kid I monitor closely. 

As for Carimi, he did look shaky at times, but generally performed well matched up against Clayborn all day. 

Johnson-Koulianos is a player that makes sense and won't cost a high round pick, solid Big-Ten player, projects as more of a possession guy, I'll be curious to see how he tests out in speed/quickness drills.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1*** : Wow, you already have Failey in the top 10?  Could be the draft experts haven't caught up yet.  You're going to make me go back and redo my last post.
    Posted by Faucetman

Yeah, right now I think he's carrying a late 1st round grade and (barring any major character issues/injuries) I just don't see how he isn't top 10 come April, pure impact DE as ZB pointed out.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1*** : You know, we could add an OT and two C/OG types in the draft and it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all.  If we consider that Light isn't worth the $5MM + he will want next year, Neal is pushing 90 and Mankins is gone the need at OL becomes clear.  I do think Connolly has established himself at one of those interior spots and he can play all three.  For years I've been feeling Kaczur could be upgraded assuming he recovers for next year.  I also feel the same way about Koppen.  All these guys are over 30.  Wendell and Ohrnberger are undersized at 6-2, 290-300.  I really think we need to re-build our line around Vollmer and Connolly at this point with LeVoir in the mix.  I'm not saying we cut Koppen, Neal or Kaczur.  I think we keep them one more year to develop some new guys behind them and let competition play itself out in camp next year. I was really impressed with Gabe Carimi yesterday.  He squared off against Adrian Clayborn all day yesterday and pretty much handled him.  I've got Clayborn as the top rated DE in the country.  There were a couple of times that Clayborn got around Carimi and got pressure on the QB but in those cases the QB held the ball too long.  I didn't see the whole game but for the most part that I did watch Carimi was impressive.  His buddy next to him at LG, Moffit was also impressive.  Clearly the left side of that Wisconsin line got the better of Iowa's vaulted DL.  Wisconsin ran through those guys all day long.  It doesn't hurt when you have a bulldozer in John Clay either.  I'd take Clay, Moffit and Carimi if I could. If I could dream for a minute, I might do something like this. 1a. CB Patrick Peterson , LSU, 6-0, 211, 4.42   or Prince Amukamara , Nebraska 6-0, 200, 4.49.  Let's make our weakest position a strength.  Butler and Wheatley appear to be busts, one of them can go.  Wihite at least gives some depth but Bodden, McCourty and one of these guys would be our nucleus and finally solidify a secondary for years to come that has been suspect since Samuel left. 1b. OT Gabe Carimi , Wisconsin 6-7, 322, 5.12 He handled the nation's best DE all day and that's good enough for me.  With Light likely leaving we bring in a new LT which allow Vollmer to stay on the right side where he is a beast in the run game. 2a.  OLB Ryan Kerrigan , Purdue, 6-4, 263, 4.82 A DE in college, Kerrigan racked up 25 sacks.  He projects as a 34 OLB in the NFL.  A team captain, who is smart, can bench 475 lbs and has the nickname "Superman" makes me wonder if he may go higher than 34 where I have him.  If he's gone, perhaps Mark Herzlich here. 2b.  DT Nick Fairley , Auburn, 6-4, 298, 4.98. By draft day this kid could be a first rounder if he declares.  He's been called the MVP of defensive linemen in the SEC.  He has the perfect size and big play ability you want from a 5 technique DE.  He could be a steal if still there late 50s, early 60s. 3a.  RG Ricky Henry , Nebraska, 6-3, 305, 5.28.  He hasn't been talked about much until now but he's a mean and nasty guard who used to give Ndamukong Suh fits in practice.  3b.  LG John Moffit , Wisconsin, 6-4, 323, 5.28.  He's a big part of the best OL in college and received first team All Big 10 honors last year.  He has played a little at center giving BB some diversity that he loves on his OL. 4.  WR Derrell Johnson-Koulianos , Iowa, 6-0, 200, 4.52.  He won't set the world on fire but by the time he hangs up his college cleats he will be the all time leading receiver at Iowa.  He's a solid route runner with sure hands and can absorb the big hit while holding onto the football.  He could be the perfect 3rd WR option for Brady.      I know, no running backs.  BB will pick up a couple in free agency like he always does and perhaps we take one with our 6th round comp pick.  With $25MM in cap space we should be able to sign a #1 WR, a #1 RB and perhaps a stud FS.  I haven't checked out who might be available but this will be the deepest F/A class ever.  This draft solidifies our secondary and OL for years and also provides upgrades to OLB and DL.  Thoughts? 
    Posted by Faucetman

the wisconsin OL has been doing that all season so far. that OL is the reason why their RBs are racking up their stats.

and it is not just the result that i like about the linemen. i don;t know if you caught any, but they showed a ot of slomos of the OL opeing up lanes yesterday. you should have noticed how #68 and #74 really had good leverage. one-on-one, they'd be very hard to overpower or even resist. and when they make mistakes, they are atheltic enough to recover without resorting to borderline holds. they did that against clayborn yesterday. ohio state's heyward completel disappeared last week.

if their starting C (#66) plays next week, try to catch their game. he's another one on that OL who's interesting. he'd be a very good catch in the third or fourth rnd (assuming people haven't noticed him yet).

just like the wis off-line, i like fairley because he plays game in game out. i don't think he's had a bad game. it says a lot about his unique mental toughness. he's actually 10 lbs lighter than i like for 3-4 DEs, but that kind of consistent effort is harder to find. besides, tht guy would be unstoppable as a DE on a 3-4.

i do think he will be in the top 10. auburn is doing well, so he's not going to be under the radar.

that said, not that it matters to nwe at this point, but i am guessing cam newton is climbing the charts really fast.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1*** : We like a lot of the same guys, I'd love to see Herzlich on this roster and like that he already plays primarily out of a two point stance, is strong vs the run and has excelled in coverage.  The kid is the epitome of the coachable, hard nosed, blue collar (I'm letting the clichés flow today) type player that BB has won with.  The big worry will be his long term health. I'm also firmly onboard with you on Henry and will be a kid I monitor closely.  As for Carimi, he did look shaky at times, but generally performed well matched up against Clayborn all day.  Johnson-Koulianos is a player that makes sense and won't cost a high round pick, solid Big-Ten player, projects as more of a possession guy, I'll be curious to see how he tests out in speed/quickness drills.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

Based on the season thus far, I'd have no problems with Fairley at the top of our list assuming he comes out and assuming he checks out great at the Combine and in interviews.  He's listed at 6-4, 298, 4.98 which is impressive but smaller than what we usually look for in a 34 DE.  I'm not going to compare Failey to Seymour since Seymour was listed at 6-6, 310.  He's closer to Ty Warren, 6-5, 300.  We took Seymour #6 overall and Warren 13th overall so I'm sure BB will be thinking DL with that Raider pick.  Perhaps the smart play is a trade down to the mid teens trying to pick up a 2012 2nd then taking Fairley at about 10-15 depending how the board shakes out.

What do you think about taking Ras-I Dowling with our late 1st and converting him to FS?  He's been a little beat up with his knee this year but hopefully it's nothing serious.  At 6-2, 200, 4.54 he might be better as a safety than a corner in the NFL.  But he would also be able to play CB if you needed.  We could still go after Herzlich with the CAR pick and we've spent our top 3 picks addressing each level of the defense.  We can then go after offensive talent with our next 4 picks selecting a combination of OL, WR and RB.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

How do you guys feel about Demarco Murray. I kind of hate his incredibly upright running style, but he is crazy fast, gifted at blocking, receiving and returning, and has a depressed value in the low second/high third. I think this is a weak RB draft, but this kid's size and versatility make me think he could be worth a shot in the right place, especially given his top gear, which is more than enough to marry at least one safety to the line.
    Posted by zbellino

I live in Oklahoma and have to put up with all things Sooners.  I've never been impressed by Murray, he doesn't seem to have that fire needed to take his talents to the next level (he's no AP).  OU's offense came alive yesterday when Murray was on the bench and someone else was in the game (his 12 carries, 49 yards - not impressive)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

1a-julio jones wr alabama (unless we are in the top 3 then you go with aj green)
    1b-akeem ayers olb ucla (prototypical 3-4 olb with all the intangibles)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

..... He is a touch violent, but I actually like to draft those guys because they are the one's who give max effort. ....
    Posted by zbellino

that is a good description of how he plays. yet, on games that i have seen, he played clean. violent = intimidating to the qb. clean = no unnecessary roughness penalties. that would be nice.

you also said in another post that he ahs a quick first step....he actually has the quickes first step i have seen in a while. it's either that or all the OLs he;s face this year are really slow. he just explodes through the line even if everyone on the opposite side expects it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

what do you all know of Vinny Curry DE Marshall?  I've seen him listed at 6'4" but anywhere from 223 to 252lbs.  He's tied for 4th in the nation with 9 sacks, he's a junior so offcourse the question is will he declare but this kid could be an option as well.  Extremely fast, plays in a bad team and still manages to get his.

Another kid I want to see if anyone has seen is Ricky Elmore DE Arizona, 6'5" 260.  He's projected as a late round guy to this point.  Had 11.5 sacks in 2009 so far in 2010 has 7.  Just another name to watch out for but if anyone sees Arizona play let me know if he looks like the real deal or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBM9hW7NnJA&NR=1

If anything he can jump into a truck lol
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Pw1uxc1Wyc&feature=related

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Here are some general comments.  That Raider pick will not be top 10 anymore.  I think they turned the corner and could finish around 15 to 18.  Right now we would be picking at 12.  We can forget about an elite CB unless we made a big move up. 

BUF doesn't need a QB.  Ryan Fitzpatrick has the 2nd highest QB rating at 102.  BUF as a new 34 team will go DL.  Fairley may be out of reach because BUF could take him.  SF and CAR will likely go QB at the top and DET will get Peterson.

I am so tired of seeing us fail on short yardage plays.  The only time we pick them up is with a Brady QB sneak.  Light and Connolly both had poor games, Connolly was pulled for Wendell.  How sad is that?  Light got beat for 2 sacks and at least one penalty that I saw.  We've got to start spending some quality picks on the OL and I'd like to get a big bruising back.  John Clay anyone?  I know he has a great OL but the man often makes his own holes too.

When you are bringing an undrafted rookie S off the bench in Sergio Brown, who actually did okay, you need depth in the defensive back field.  Was this another healthy scratch for Darius Butler?  Perhaps we should look for a big CB that can play safety and CB.

If the season ended today we'd be picking at:

12, 30, 36, 62, 73, 94, 126

Great win for us yesterday but we took some hits in our draft order with both OAK and CAR winning. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Faucet, Auburn has Fairley at 6'5" 298. The only place I have found him listed as 6'4" is at DraftScouts -- so I'm not sure how to read that. But the combine will make all this stuff official. I agree that you always try to get players as low as possible, but I don't think this kid makes it out of the top ten if he keeps playing this way... I think the reason he compares well to Sey, and poorly to Warren, is that he is much quicker than Warren ever was. Warren never had the elite first step that he has and that looks similar to Seymour ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYbT58VVmeI
    Posted by zbellino

If Fairley is 6'4" or 5" that's a light 298!  I watched him for the first time this weekend and he looked heavier.  Was it just me? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1*** : Yes. Rival.com is listing him as 6'5" 314, which is the playing weight they announced him as. It looks a lot closer, and perhaps a bit shy IMO. HE is a big dude for sure, but he has a really quick first step.
    Posted by zbellino

I agree, he actually looks much bigger on TV than what he is reported as being.  I think he could be a top 5 pick given his performance to date and measurables.  He would be out of range for us with that OAK pick.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Here are some general comments.  That Raider pick will not be top 10 anymore.  I think they turned the corner and could finish around 15 to 18.  Right now we would be picking at 12.  We can forget about an elite CB unless we made a big move up.  BUF doesn't need a QB.  Ryan Fitzpatrick has the 2nd highest QB rating at 102.  BUF as a new 34 team will go DL.  Fairley may be out of reach because BUF could take him.  SF and CAR will likely go QB at the top and DET will get Peterson. I am so tired of seeing us fail on short yardage plays.  The only time we pick them up is with a Brady QB sneak.  Light and Connolly both had poor games, Connolly was pulled for Wendell.  How sad is that?  Light got beat for 2 sacks and at least one penalty that I saw.  We've got to start spending some quality picks on the OL and I'd like to get a big bruising back.  John Clay anyone?  I know he has a great OL but the man often makes his own holes too. When you are bringing an undrafted rookie S off the bench in Sergio Brown, who actually did okay, you need depth in the defensive back field.  Was this another healthy scratch for Darius Butler?  Perhaps we should look for a big CB that can play safety and CB. If the season ended today we'd be picking at: 12, 30, 36, 62, 73, 94, 126 Great win for us yesterday but we took some hits in our draft order with both OAK and CAR winning. 
    Posted by Faucetman

Hi Faucet,

I think you are right on the Bills, they passed up plenty QBs last year for a RB and then D.  This draft they need D help with all other teams in the East having a ton of fire power on the O.  Doesn't look good for NE to be able to get a shut down CB as I had hopped but might not be all bad.  I agree, we need OL picked early but with lack of elite 1st round talent solid 2nd and 3rd rounders are probably a way to go here.  We've seen a number of late round guys come in and where are they now? 

12 Nick Fairley DE/DT 6'4" 300 - Playing at a very high level against SEC tackles, he should be a nice addition to the DL although current roster is holding their own.
    30 Nate Solder OT 6'8" 300 - This line needs studs and physical players if they are moving to a power game.  Solder needs development but has all the tools to play L or R tackle.
    36 Aaron Williams CB 6'1" 192 - Good CB both in man or zone, he probably ends up in the 1st round.
    62 Orlando Franklin OG 6'6" 318 - Played LG in college above average pass blocker but better run blocking. 
    73 Bilal Powell RB 6'0" 215 - He could be a name to watch but probably will take a 2nd rounder when it's all said and done.
    94 Greg Romeus OLB 6'5" 265 - Needs work in coverage but stout against the run, setting the famous edge and above average rusher.  Not convinced an OLB will be needed, current roster of no names are developing very well but add Romeus and you have options on each side.
    126 Armon Binns WR 6'3" 210 - Big body receiver who is not afraid to go over the middle, good route runner with great hands.  Not a burner but good overall speed.
    5th Rnd Brandon Fusco OC 6'4" 300 - Slippery Rock?! lol yes a center that's catching the eye of some scouts.  Plays with an attitude, need some of that on this line.
    6th Rnd Jalil Brown CB 6'0" 203

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1*** : [QUOTE I am so tired of seeing us fail on short yardage plays.  The only time we pick them up is with a Brady QB sneak.  Light and Connolly both had poor games, Connolly was pulled for Wendell.  How sad is that?  Light got beat for 2 sacks and at least one penalty that I saw. Posted by Faucetman
    I agree. It is hard to watch. Light used to be good, and would give up a sack to elite personnel. Now it seems he gives up a sack, and a hold to everyone that plays him, and needs help from a RB against anyone who is good or else Brady gets crushed.
    Posted by zbellino

Our OL is getting old.  That's a fact.  They aren't opening many holes in the running game and Light is often beat in the passing game.  The youth movement we've seen on defense needs to carried over to the offense especially with the OL and RBs.  The reason BB hasn't drafted much OL lately is because he had a decent young line that was locked up for years.  Starting after this season contracts start to expire and most of these guys probably won't be worth the money they want given their ages.  Below is the contract status and ages heading into 2011 season of our older key OL.

2010 Light (33) and Mankins (29)
    2011 Koppen (32), Neal (35), and Connolly (29)
    2012 Kaczur (32)

Everyone knows Mankins will come back Week 10 and finish the year then be gone for good.  Given Light's cap number and his performance, I think he's allowed to walk.  We'll get a decent comp pick in 2012 for him, perhaps a 4th or 5th rounder.  Neal is on borrowed time, we know this.  Kaczur is signed for the longest and would be roughly a $2MM cap hit if cut before 2012 so it might be that he's in our future plans at RT with Vollmer moving to LT.  Koppen earns just under $3MM a year.  He's got a year or two left.  Personally I'd like to see him upgraded but it could be he's given a 1-2 year extension after 2011.

In short, even if we plan on Vollmer at LT and Kaczur at RT with LeVoir backing up, we need to draft at least 2 interior linesmen.  BB won't want to turn over too much of the line at once.  It would be nice to draft a OG and a C and give them a year to learn the system before Koppen and Neal head out.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1*** : I agree. It is hard to watch. Light used to be good, and would give up a sack to elite personnel. Now it seems he gives up a sack, and a hold to everyone that plays him, and needs help from a RB against anyone who is good or else Brady gets crushed. Posted by zbellino
    Our OL is getting old.  That's a fact.  They aren't opening many holes in the running game and Light is often beat in the passing game.  The youth movement we've seen on defense needs to carried over to the offense especially with the OL and RBs.  The reason BB hasn't drafted much OL lately is because he had a decent young line that was locked up for years.  Starting after this season contracts start to expire and most of these guys probably won't be worth the money they want given their ages.  Below is the contract status and ages heading into 2011 season of our older key OL. 2010 Light (33) and Mankins (29) 2011 Koppen (32), Neal (35), and Connolly (29) 2012 Kaczur (32) Everyone knows Mankins will come back Week 10 and finish the year then be gone for good.  Given Light's cap number and his performance, I think he's allowed to walk.  We'll get a decent comp pick in 2012 for him, perhaps a 4th or 5th rounder.  Neal is on borrowed time, we know this.  Kaczur is signed for the longest and would be roughly a $2MM cap hit if cut before 2012 so it might be that he's in our future plans at RT with Vollmer moving to LT.  Koppen earns just under $3MM a year.  He's got a year or two left.  Personally I'd like to see him upgraded but it could be he's given a 1-2 year extension after 2011. In short, even if we plan on Vollmer at LT and Kaczur at RT with LeVoir backing up, we need to draft at least 2 interior linesmen.  BB won't want to turn over too much of the line at once.  It would be nice to draft a OG and a C and give them a year to learn the system before Koppen and Neal head out.
    Posted by Faucetman

I agree, I don't know if I'll be able to change much from my mock other than names based on ranking but I do believe you see three OL in the first 4 rounds.  I mocked an OT, OG (LG) and Center.  now the center class is not that good IMO.  Found a possible gem in the late rounds, kind of a voll inside but we'll see.  Brandon Fusco, Slippery Rock State

What ever happens, if the play calling doesn't improve to help the OL this could turn south quickly.
  •  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1*** : Hi Faucet, I think you are right on the Bills, they passed up plenty QBs last year for a RB and then D.  This draft they need D help with all other teams in the East having a ton of fire power on the O.  Doesn't look good for NE to be able to get a shut down CB as I had hopped but might not be all bad.  I agree, we need OL picked early but with lack of elite 1st round talent solid 2nd and 3rd rounders are probably a way to go here.  We've seen a number of late round guys come in and where are they now?  12 Nick Fairley DE/DT 6'4" 300 - Playing at a very high level against SEC tackles, he should be a nice addition to the DL although current roster is holding their own. 30 Nate Solder OT 6'8" 300 - This line needs studs and physical players if they are moving to a power game.  Solder needs development but has all the tools to play L or R tackle. 36 Aaron Williams CB 6'1" 192 - Good CB both in man or zone, he probably ends up in the 1st round. 62 Orlando Franklin OG 6'6" 318 - Played LG in college above average pass blocker but better run blocking.  73 Bilal Powell RB 6'0" 215 - He could be a name to watch but probably will take a 2nd rounder when it's all said and done. 94 Greg Romeus OLB 6'5" 265 - Needs work in coverage but stout against the run, setting the famous edge and above average rusher.  Not convinced an OLB will be needed, current roster of no names are developing very well but add Romeus and you have options on each side. 126 Armon Binns WR 6'3" 210 - Big body receiver who is not afraid to go over the middle, good route runner with great hands.  Not a burner but good overall speed. 5th Rnd Brandon Fusco OC 6'4" 300 - Slippery Rock?! lol yes a center that's catching the eye of some scouts.  Plays with an attitude, need some of that on this line. 6th Rnd Jalil Brown CB 6'0" 203
    Posted by Pats7393

Hey Pats.  I'm starting to worry that Fairley could be a top 5 pick now.  Anyway, Cunningham was impressive yesterday.  I think he is improving each week.  Ninkovich is also making the most of his opportunities.  It seems TBC is back to being a situational pass rusher. 

If we can land Fairley at 12, I would be delighted.  I then think we should focus on the OL which you've done.  BB doesn't like to draft RBs because he knows most are out of the league within 5 years.  Where are you getting the 5th round pick from?  We traded ours to KC for Jarrad Page.  The 6th rounder I assume you are considering as a comp pick for Watson?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

As a backup option, what do you folks think of Anthony Castonzo? He has the smarts/length BB looks for? I also wouldn't rule out just snagging Mark Ingram if NE is forced into the 12-15 range and needs to make a choice. I would rather have the best RB than try and shoehorn an awkward player into the 34.  Janoris Jenkins could be hanging around too.   I just don't see Clayborne, Paea, or Bailey as fits for what NE does here. They would be like elaborate 3rd down specialists. Darreus or Bailey fit well enough though, although I think Bailey is a much better prospect. I am going to try and catch a Colorado game to take a look at Nate Solder. Has anyone watched him play yet? 
    Posted by zbellino

ZB,
    I love Jenkins as an option, competitive, great speed and quicks, good instincts, ball skills, awareness, is physical but secure as a tackler and has been a starter since he walked on campus.  He does have character questions stemming from a bar fight in which he was picked up for "resisting arrest without violence" which will have to be checked out, but I think he's the #3 CB in this class, assuming he delcares.  Bringing in a another player with a championship level mentality/pedigree is also a plus.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: 2011 Patriots Draft Options ***UPDATED WITH MOCK V1*** : ZB, I love Jenkins as an option, competitive, great speed and quicks, good instincts, ball skills, awareness, is physical but secure as a tackler and has been a starter since he walked on campus.  He does have character questions stemming from a bar fight in which he was picked up for "resisting arrest without violence" which will have to be checked out, but I think he's the #3 CB in this class, assuming he delcares.  Bringing in a another player with a championship level mentality/pedigree is also a plus.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

I'm looking at Aaron Williams as a possible pick, 6'1" 200lb CB.  Great speed and cover skills, tackles well but I'm not sure what to make from what I've seen.  That Texas team is just not playing well.

Assuming they pick between 10 and 15, I could see something like this:

Rd 1 (Raiders)- Nick Fairley/Janoris Jenkins- Whichever is available.

Rd 1 (Assigned)- Gabe Carimi/Nate Solder- Whichever is available.

Rd 2 (Panthers)- Mark Herzlich OLB BC

Rd 2 (Assigned)- Christian Ballard/Brandon Boykin CB Georgia- Boykin if they go Fairley in Rd 1.

Rd 3 (Vikings)- Ricky Henry OG Nebraska

Rd 3 (Assigned)- Robert Sands S WVU

Rd 4 (Denver)- ***TRADED FOR BRANCH***

Rd 4 (Assigned)- Bilal Powell RB Louisville

Herzlich should be more of an ILB in the NFL wouldn't you say? Great charcter guy tho. This Mock seems to think we could get Ingram AND Quinn... wouldn't that be something.. http://www.nfldraftdog.com/Mock-Drafts/2011-nfl-mock-draft.html I'd actually prefer Thomas if he's there in the mid 20's and a FA signing of either Jamaal Charles or DeAngelo Williams... What do you think of Leonard Hankerson @ 6'3"/205 with the 3rd rd pick we got for Moss? I'd think Welker-Branch-Tate-Hankerson-Price-Edelman for the next 4-5 years as our 6 WR's is a pretty solid unit.
    Posted by rameakap

rameakap,
    IMO, Herzlich has the versatility to probably play inside or out and be successful and I don't see anything that would prevent him from playing on the outside in a 3-4.  Real tough, hard working kid, a leader with size/length that BB likes (6-4 250 +-), good speed and quickness, excellent instincts and has excelled at creating turnovers (8 INT's, 6 forced fumbles and 4 fumble recoveries).  He just seems to possess everything they value in a player.  The big question would be his long term health, specifically his bout with cancer (he is currently cancer free).

As for Hankerson, from everything I've read on him, he doesn't appear to possess the quickness/suddenness that they value in their receivers.

• Sections
    Shortcuts