2012 Draft Mock V3

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

2012 Draft Mock V3

Below is my Mock V3, this will be my last projection until Draft Day. As some of you know by now, Mark Barron is the top player on my board and has been since very early on. 

I’m also realistic to the fact that he’ll prob be off the board when NE is slotted to select at both 27 and 31, if he isn’t, he’s my guy.

ü  The top of my Rd 1 Board today looks like this, though I think all too will likely be gone by 27/31: 

S- Mark  Barron
    DL- Fletcher Cox
    DL- Michael Brockers
    OLB- Courtney Upshaw
    CB- Dre Kirkpatrick 

ü  I’m also of the belief that when all is said and done, BB will likely have traded one of, if not both of his Rd 1 picks due to some combo of maybe moving up into the early 20’s to draft a player that is sliding a bit and/or to move back to acquire more picks for this year and the future as he seems to do every year.

With that being said, below is my projection, not factoring in potential trades: 

27- Dont’a Hightower- LB- Alabama- If the others are gone and this kid’s on the board, I think he makes too much sense for them.   A lot of experience against elite competition, has excellent upside as an edge rusher, is well versed in a BB style 34 scheme, kid also has good size, improved movement ability (another year removed from surgery) is versatile and IMO can play any LB position in both 34 & 43 sets and also has some value as a rush end in a 43 set.  Alternative: Stephon Gilmore- CB/S- South Carolina.

31- Kendall Reyes- DL- UConn- Very good character/team captain, good size and athleticism, scheme diverse and has a big motor.  He’s another kid that fits the Patriot’s player profile and I think he’d be an excellent addition upfront.  Alternatives:  Shea McClellin- OLB/ILB/DE- Boise State. / Doug Martin- RB- Boise State. 

48- Harrison Smith- S- ND- Very good size, moves well, very instinctive and always around the football, good ball skills, good tackler with knockout potential, has the ability to play in the deep half/third as well as down in the box and is very strong is run support.  He’s also a team leader/captain with very good character; another great fit in NE. Alternatives: Josh Robinson- CB- UCF / Brandon Thompson- DL- Clemson. 

62- Jayron Hosley- CB- VT- Elite instincts and ball skills in the passing game, projects as an excellent zone CB at the NFL level and brings added value in the return game…  kid has big play potential as both a defender and return man.  He's not big, but doesn't shy away from contact and gives good effort in run support. Alternatives:  Bobby Massie- OT- Ole Miss / Amini Silatolu- OG- Midwestern State. 

93- Senio Kelemete- OG/OT- Washington- Versatile kid that’s played OT and OG during his time at UW, he’s also an athletic kid that moves very well for his size, plays with aggression and nastiness, can pull/play in space and would look great at OG across from Mankins. Alternatives:  Cam Johnson- OLB/DE- Virginia / Marvin Jones- WR- Cal. / Derek Wolfe- DL- Cincinnati / George Iloka- S- Boise State. 

126- Greg Childs- WR- Arkansas- This would be a great value pick IMO, as the kid has Rd 1/2 talent (he could also be an option in Rd 3).  Very good size/speed combo, good quicks and RAC ability, physical player with upside as a blocker and isn’t afraid to work the middle of the field.  He’s also well schooled in a pro-style offense and BB should be familiar with him due to time spent scouting Ryan Mallet. Alternatives:  Devon Wylie- WR- Fresno State / Ron Brooks CB/S LSU / Jake Bequette- DE/OLB- Arkansas / Joe Adams- WR/RS- Arkansas.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from elDunker2. Show elDunker2's posts

Re: 2012 Draft Mock V3

Agree that all your dream picks will be gone by 27. Not feelin the rest of your picks, other than maybe Hosley at 62. Don't see Hightower ILB as biggest need, best available pick at 27 and Reyes is a stretch gamble at 31, as previous UConn picks have not panned out and although Reyes has size and versatility, he has not dominated at lower level conference competition and is a project, if not a bust, and not an immediate significant contributor ( like Konz or Barron) that you want with your first round pick. Plus with other team needs, Reyes slides to 40 something imo. We could probably get Reyes or Reyes like talent/ potential at 48. If we were to gamble, then i would rather Jenkins at either 27 or 31, but I don't think there is need to gamble. If he isn't there (and none of your dream team picks are available) BB could very well trade 27 and perhaps 31 and feast in the second and third rounds where I think all of your primary and backup picks will still be available (except maybe Gilmore). I'm willing to bet that none of your primary picks are on the 2013 roster, but who knows! This years mock Pats draft is perhaps the most challenging, complex and intruiging in many years.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from leonardo0110. Show leonardo0110's posts

I will not bet against BB trading both first rounders with the future pick in mind, but also getting valuable 2nd rounders where the cream of this draft is at. There're few players with a real 1st round talent to me only Luck,RG3,Richardson,Kalil are worthy of the top 10.

These are my picks.

#27 Devon Still ( He's not getting much hype, but he's the best all-around DT )
    #31 Janoris Jenkins/Stephen Hill( Love his upside )
    #48 Shea McClellin/Branch
    #62 Josh Robinson/George Iloka
    #93 Ben Jones/Derek Wolfe
    #126 Toon/Childs/DeVier Posey

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Still was a target for me at 27. I see him being there with no trading necessary. He has big questions about his motor and drive. This is what concerns me. I would rather trade 27 down into a 2nd this year, 1st or 2nd next, and grab Wolfe in round 2. No motor questions at all, he brings max intensity at all times. Like his size and speed to,play on the end or inside. I like a 3 man line of Wolfe, vw and fanene, with deaderick adding depth at end. Love spelling vw at times. I also think 31 is another trade target, and I would try to trade it for a 2nd and 3rd or 4th this year . In the end, I would like us to have 4 2nds, 2 3's and 2 4's. I can see some additional trading after that, but I think the real value in this draft is the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I don't know where the additional trades will come, but here are my first 4 players somewhere scattered between rounds 2 and 3. 1. Harrison smith 2. Curry 3. Wolfe 4. Hosley 4.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

McLellin at 27
    Wolfe at 31
    Smith/Robinson/Johnson at 48

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from elDunker2. Show elDunker2's posts

In response to "Re: 2012 Draft Mock V3":
    I will not bet against BB trading both first rounders with the future pick in mind, but also getting valuable 2nd rounders where the cream of this draft is at. There're few players with a real 1st round talent to me only Luck,RG3,Richardson,Kalil are worthy of the top 10. These are my picks. #27 Devon Still ( He's not getting much hype, but he's the best all-around DT ) #31 Janoris Jenkins/Stephen Hill( Love his upside ) #48 Shea McClellin/Branch #62 Josh Robinson/George Iloka #93 Ben Jones/Derek Wolfe #126 Toon/Childs/DeVier Posey Posted by leonardo0110
    You have a good logical lineup and I agree on Stills, as a superb DT, but my thinking is that he is too one dimensional for BB who I think is looking for more versatility. And i really don't think BB takes a chance on Jenkins in first round. Not this draft. If the Bengals don't take him, he could concievably slip to 48, where he would be much to pass up. Robinson, Iioka are a crap shoot with 4or 5 other CBs at 62, and unless Dennard is on the board at 48, makes sense to me, although I like Fleming, Hosley here.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

Smith and Childs seem like good picks. The other are not so impressive- Hightower is an ILB and will not have an impact Reyes is a 2nd rd pick imo.

I do not see the Pats grabbing a OG/OT unless Light does retire. The need along the line is more OG/C.

Obviously we nvr knwo what BB will do but most likely will trade out of the 1st rd and could then grab Reyes

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Only comment is really a question:  Is McLellin really going to go that high/worthy of that high a selection?  I'm not as draft-savvy as many of you but I didn't really see McLellin going higher than 3rd rd.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2012 Draft Mock V3:
    Only comment is really a question:  Is McLellin really going to go that high/worthy of that high a selection?  I'm not as draft-savvy as many of you but I didn't really see McLellin going higher than 3rd rd.
    Posted by ATJ

ATJ,
    He's prob a top 40 pick (I have him as a Rd 1/2 pick on my board), though there's a chance he could be available at 48, which would be great for NE.

I love his combo of motor, versatility and ability to get after the QB.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In Response to Re: 2012 Draft Mock V3 : ATJ, He's prob a top 40 pick (I have him as a Rd 1/2 pick on my board), though there's a chance he could be available at 48, which would be great for NE. I love his combo of motor, versatility and ability to get after the QB.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

I defer to you, sir, and will watch with interest how this all unfolds.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

Hey mbeaulieu07 ,

Outstanding List.

As usual , I rely on your stuff to get me up to speed as much as any of the national experts... so thank you .

I think its pretty clear BB should make the defensive backfield ( and safety in particular ) a priority .
      Anytime you finish a season relying on journeymen and a slot wr to bail you out ...it's an issue that needs to be addressed.

That said  , Barron would be my choice as well .
     I think if he gets by the Jets -we have a real shot at him though we'd likely still have to trade-up a bit to make it happen .

Tom E. Curren reported yesterday that he's hearing that Barron is indeed a target for a possible Pats move up if he gets to around the #20 slot .

PS
    If you could add ANY incoming player to the Pats Roster ( regardless of cost ) -

Who would it be ?

Kalil ?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Smith and Childs seem like good picks. The other are not so impressive- Hightower is an ILB and will not have an impact Reyes is a 2nd rd pick imo. I do not see the Pats grabbing a OG/OT unless Light does retire. The need along the line is more OG/C. Obviously we nvr knwo what BB will do but most likely will trade out of the 1st rd and could then grab Reyes
    Posted by Patriots1970

Per my write up on Hightower above, I think he could start at any 34/43 LB position (and also provides value as a 43 rush end) and on tape he shows very good upside as a passrusher off the edge.  So I disagree that he's an ILB only.

Reyes could very well go in Rd 2, I have him as a Rd 1/2 kid on my board, though he's also a Rd 1 option.

Per my write up on Kelemete above, I have him as an OG.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

My thought -
    27 traded for early 2nd plus 2013 second or 2012 early 4th
    31 traded for mid 2nd and mid 3rd or 2013 2nd
    2a Mcclellin
    2b Jenkins/Robinson (CB)
    2c Curry/Crick/Jones/Irvin - best DE available
    2d T.Johnson (cb/s)/Martin/Taylor
    3a Wolfe/Thompson/Winn - best DT available
    3b or 4a depending on trades - Best available C/OG
    4a/b - best available KR or flier on a falling talent.
    Obviously if some one falls into 27 - Cox/Kirkpatrick/Gilmore/Barron/Brockers take them, but I think those are long gone.
    And the order of position selections in round 2/early round 3 would depend on how the draft is playing out.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Question for the draft mockers:  One of the things that I've noted about BB's draft behavior is that he analyzes what those who are slated to draft ahead of him are going to do and acts accordingly, i.e., moves up if he wants a player that someone ahead of him may also want or moves down if he's reasonably certain that no one ahead or right behind him will draft a player that he wants.  The question then is: Have you included the potential draft behavior of the other NFL teams into consideration in your mocks beyond 'he'll be gone by then.'?

I recognize that's asking quite a bit but I'm curious if that enters into your calculations.  Thanks.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Hey mbeaulieu07 , Outstanding List. As usual , I really on your stuff to get me up to speed as much as any of the national experts ... so thank you .  I think its pretty clear BB should make the defensive backfield ( and safety in particular ) a priority .   Anytime you finish a season relying on journeymen and a slot wr to bail you out ...it's an issue that needs to be addressed.  That said  , Barron would be my choice as well .  I think if he gets by the Jets -we have a real shot at him though we'd likely still have to trade-up a bit to make it happen .  Tom E. Curren reported yesterday that he's hearing that Barron is indeed a target for a possible Pats move up if he gets to around the #20 slot . PS If you could add ANY incoming player to the Pats Roster ( regardless of cost ) - Who would it be ? Kalil ?
    Posted by CaptnFoxboro

Thanks, man!

Tough question... I think Luck is the best player in this class, would love to see him as BB's eventual successor, I'd also love to see what Kalil (with Solder starting at RT, Vollmer as your swing guy), Blackmon, Richardson and Claiborne could do here.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

I think every GM tries to predict what those in front and immediately behind will be picking, but it is obviously an inexact science.
    Where Bill probably excels is in not getting fixated on a single player - if there are 3 players he grades out as value for his pick, he is very happy to move down three picks knowing he will get one of his players at that pick.
    I could see someone like the Giants/Colts wanting to move from 32/33 to 27/31 to grab Fleener in front of the 49s/Giants for example and slightly overpaying. I suspect Bill would jump at that since I doubt the players left at 27/31 will have a Pats 1st round grade.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

my stab 

Rnd 1
    27 Nick Perry OLB
    31 Traded: Jax #38 + 2013 first rnd in exchange for this + NWE's #126

Rnd 2
    38 Brandon Thompson DT
    48 Josh Robinson CB
    62 Traded: Arizona #80 + #112

Rnd 3
    80 Antonio Allen S
    92 Brandon Brooks OG

Rnd 4
    112 Miles Burris OLB (could convert to ILB)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

My thought - 27 traded for early 2nd plus 2013 second or 2012 early 4th 31 traded for mid 2nd and mid 3rd or 2013 2nd 2a Mcclellin 2b Jenkins/Robinson (CB) 2c Curry/Crick/Jones/Irvin - best DE available 2d T.Johnson (cb/s)/Martin/Taylor 3a Wolfe/Thompson/Winn - best DT available 3b or 4a depending on trades - Best available C/OG 4a/b - best available KR or flier on a falling talent. Obviously if some one falls into 27 - Cox/Kirkpatrick/Gilmore/Barron/Brockers take them, but I think those are long gone. And the order of position selections in round 2/early round 3 would depend on how the draft is playing out.
    Posted by mia76

very reasonable mia

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

I will not bet against BB trading both first rounders with the future pick in mind, but also getting valuable 2nd rounders where the cream of this draft is at. There're few players with a real 1st round talent to me only Luck,RG3,Richardson,Kalil are worthy of the top 10. These are my picks. #27 Devon Still ( He's not getting much hype, but he's the best all-around DT ) #31 Janoris Jenkins/Stephen Hill( Love his upside ) #48 Shea McClellin/Branch #62 Josh Robinson/George Iloka #93 Ben Jones/Derek Wolfe #126 Toon/Childs/DeVier Posey
    Posted by leonardo0110

im on board

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to "Re: 2012 Draft Mock V3": You have a good logical lineup and I agree on Stills, as a superb DT, but my thinking is that he is too one dimensional for BB who I think is looking for more versatility. And i really don't think BB takes a chance on Jenkins in first round. Not this draft. If the Bengals don't take him, he could concievably slip to 48, where he would be much to pass up. Robinson, Iioka are a crap shoot with 4or 5 other CBs at 62, and unless Dennard is on the board at 48, makes sense to me, although I like Fleming, Hosley here.
    Posted by elDunker2

i dont see him making it past teh top of the 2nd (ie before the mid 2nd rd)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

As noted earlier -
     I too think Fleener may add to the Pats cache come draft night .

It's been said that the NFL is a copy cat league and I believe it's true .

Do something innovative and if successful everyone will try and emulate it .

I remember when the Cowboys had a run of injuries to their O-Line in '75 and pulled out an old Branch Rickey scheme to buy Staubach some time in the pocket .
    It was nick-named the Shotgun .

Then there's Bill Walsh's looney sceme in the 1980's which created havoc by flooding D's with multiple wrs  - running short to medium patterns ...rbs lining up in the slot ...all reading and reacting .
    That one was nick-named the West Coast Offense .

In 2012 we have a new wrinkle .
    Multiple tight end sets that instead of using bulk and short patterns  - utilize skilled athletes that can attack vertical as well as horizontal - creating mismatches up and down the field.
    ( nickname yet to be announced )

Besides the aforementioned  Giants / 49ers I also think the Ravens might be in on the Fleener sweepstakes .
     ( BB and Ozzie arent shy about gettin deals done )

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

The patriots have 71 players signed with Love and Welker still left to sign.  This gives them 73 players under contract.  They have room for 7 more players including Free agents, draft picks and UDFA pickups.  I see the Patriots filling their 4 major holes in the draft.  OLB, DL, SS and OL.  I doubt BB uses both first round picks.  I see the saints desperate to get back into the first round and giving up a lot for the 31st pick.  I think the Patriots will sign Bell as a stop gap at SS.  This is a weak point in the draft.  DL and OLB are strong in the draft so can be had in the second round.  The talent pool on the Patriots is strong already, so they will use the draft to improve only if the player they want is available. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

OL is not a major need at this point in my mind, not with the koppen and gallery signings.  Even if Light retires we are good and deep on the OL.  DL is always a spot to change, if not improve.  BB's loves his D to evolve, shift, and react with multiple fronts etc.  As players get old, ineffectual, or too predictable, he changes the line to cause confusion.  Safety and CB are the obvious "holes" and OLB is a constant weakness since McGinnest.  KR/RB would be a nice addition, as would a young WR, but they are not "holes".  They need SS, OLB, DL in the first 3 picks or FA.  After those 3 they can be pure depth picks, but those 3 spots are truly holes that are holding the pats back until they are filled.

Sections
Shortcuts