2012 NFL Draft: REPORT CARD

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Re: 2012 NFL Draft: REPORT CARD

In Response to Re: 2012 NFL Draft: REPORT CARD:
    [QUOTE]I'm not selling Jones short, I don't think. He ha the highest potential of any pass rusher in this draft. He has to put in a lot of work though to become that player. A lot more work to play at a high level than Bequette and Hightower who IMO can come in immediately and be impact players. I recognize that most fans aren't a's high on Bequette as I am. I look at him and see a more athletic, better suited to the 3-4 Ryan Kerrigan.
    Posted by KyleCleric2[/QUOTE]
    I agree.  I think Bequette and Hightower are NFL ready and can make an immediate impact.  I think Bequette is as good, if not better, than McClellin.  He has more pass rush moves and played against better SEC competition.

It will be interesting to see how BB lines up his new toys.  I think we have Jones, Bequette, Ninkovich, Mayo, Spikes, Hightower and Fletcher that can all play LB at a high level. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I think Hightower will probably play more MLB than outside.  I'm not sure Hightower will "start" right away but he will get a lot of PT, probably as part of a rotation or due to injury.  If we look at our 3 MLBs remaining from last year (Guyton is gone) they missed a lot of games. 

Mayo
    2009 - 3
    2011 - 2

Spikes
    2010 - 4
    2011 - 8

Fletcher
    2010 - 3
    2011 - 6

Hightower will probably be used a lot like Vrabel, lined up everywhere.  He'll provide depth outside too.  Cunningham has been a complete waste and probably won't make the team.  He played in just 9 games in 2011 with 1 tackle.  I'm not sure if Scott or White will make the team either now with all the talent we are adding.  With Warren back, Brace is in trouble.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

In response to "Re: 2012 NFL Draft: REPORT CARD": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2012 NFL Draft: REPORT CARD : I agree.  I think Bequette and Hightower are NFL ready and can make an immediate impact.  I think Bequette is as good, if not better, than McClellin.  He has more pass rush moves and played against better SEC competition. It will be interesting to see how BB lines up his new toys.  I think we have Jones, Bequette, Ninkovich, Mayo, Spikes, Hightower and Fletcher that can all play LB at a high level.  Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE] I like McClellin, too but not as a first round pick. Both I think would have represented good value in the second. I love the potential versatility represented in this linebacker corps. You could put out a 1-5-5 nickel with Wilfork and have lbs big enough to deal with a potential running play and represent tremendous pass rush potential from so many angles

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Having to use White and Koutouvides on D last year certainly meant there were easy snaps to upgrade. With Hightower and Tarpinian to get a real oppotunity to compete, we should be far better off. Also, if you're deep at the position, you can rotate players better, cause less wear, and more effective snaps. I think both Cunningham and Brace will have a real opportunity to contribute. Fans overall were high on Cunningham a year ago fir his rookie performance and he never got his second year offseason so now with that, we really could be pleasantly surprised with his progress. Brace has had a tough time breaking through to get consistent snaps. He's looked good IMO as a DE run defender. With another real of season, one where he isn't limited by injury, he could make a jump to be effective in other roles.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Nice work TexasPat.. I would grade the Patriots a little higher though, partly because I am a homer and also because I'm not sure on Wilson at all. My only problem with the pick was that it seemed like they could have waited much later to make that pick and grabbed one of the quality players still available at the time. That said, BB must have really targeted this guy for a reason and I'm thinking that he is going to flourish in his system and surprise all of the "experts"..

I really like that for the most part he went for guys that can help the team right now, guys that will start instead of the depth/value type players. This was the right time and the right players to pick Imo, Brady only has a few more seasons to left.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Nice work TexasPat.. I would grade the Patriots a little higher though, partly because I am a homer and also because I'm not sure on Wilson at all. My only problem with the pick was that it seemed like they could have waited much later to make that pick and grabbed one of the quality players still available at the time. That said, BB must have really targeted this guy for a reason and I'm thinking that he is going to flourish in his system and surprise all of the "experts".. I really like that for the most part he went for guys that can help the team right now, guys that will start instead of the depth/value type players. This was the right time and the right players to pick Imo, Brady only has a few more seasons to left.
    Posted by sporter81[/QUOTE]

As you correctly point out, the window on the Patriots could be closing, since Tom Brady has only a few more seasons left. This is yet another reason why I didn't like the Tavon Wilson pick. The kid is a project...far from a finished product. Judging by their production in college, other players available at #48, such as Jerel Worthy, Brandon Thompson, Kendall Reyes, and Vinny Curry appear more ready to contribute immediately.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Texas Pat, I found your draft review thorough, valuable, and fair.  As a fan I hope you're wrong about your misgivings, but I understand them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Texas Pat, I found your draft review thorough, valuable, and fair.  As a fan I hope you're wrong about your misgivings, but I understand them.
    Posted by Critter23[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I hope I'm wrong about my misgivings on Wilson, and BB's general handling of day two, too.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

In Response to 2012 NFL Draft: REPORT CARD:
    [QUOTE]           The Buzzards main issues were on their OL, DE/LB, and WR. Posted by TexasPat[/QUOTE]
    Just an odd gripe.  The Iggles are real buzzards as the term applies.  The Falcons are buzzards.  The Seahawks are buzzards.  Ravens are not big enough to be buzzards.  They are undersized crows.  Buzzards prefer red meat, road kill if they can get it of course, but Ravens generally survive on fruit.  Ravens are talking birds, they're parrots, they rarely have anything original to say. 

I don't mind calling the Phins the Fish.  Whales were traditionally spoken of as fish.  Quahogs are shellfish.  Also, "Squish The Fish" doesn't really glorify the team, it just rhymes and has a second meaning.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to 2012 NFL Draft: REPORT CARD : Just an odd gripe.  The Iggles are real buzzards as the term applies.  The Falcons are buzzards.  The Seahawks are buzzards.  Ravens are not big enough to be buzzards.  They are undersized crows.  Buzzards prefer red meat, road kill if they can get it of course, but Ravens generally survive on fruit.  Ravens are talking birds, they're parrots, they rarely have anything original to say.  I don't mind calling the Phins the Fish.  Whales were traditionally spoken of as fish.  Quahogs are shellfish.  Also, "Squish The Fish" doesn't really glorify the team, it just rhymes and has a second meaning.
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]

The buzzards are ugly, cheap-shot scavengers, who are a plague on the bird word. All of these things seem to apply to the Ravens and their players. So...I don't see how referring to them as "Buzzards" glorifies them. Plus, as you stated regarding "Squish the Fish", the "Baltimore Buzzards" rhymes, and has a germane second meaning...LOL!!!  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]I dont really agree with the questioning of Jeremy Ebert. He was a productive reciever with really good speed and hands. I wouldnt dismiss him. Yeah he might just go to the practice squad this year but i can see a future with him here.
    Posted by APpats21[/QUOTE]

This from a previous post dealing with Ebert:
    Not really being critical of Ebert...but more of a slight attempt at humour, in my own mind. When I read that the Pats' took Ebert, the first think I thought of was "Siskel and Ebert", the movie critics...LOL!!!   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2012 NFL Draft: REPORT CARD :      This from a previous post dealing with Ebert: Not really being critical of Ebert...but more of a slight attempt at humour, in my own mind. When I read that the Pats' took Ebert, the first think I thought of was "Siskel and Ebert", the movie critics...LOL!!!   
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Tex, you and my wife share the same sense of humour apparently.  I was fishing on Saturday while the draft was going on and my wife sent me an email message that said:  Hey, I think the Pats drafted Roger Ebert's son . . . "

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Solid TP thanks for the nice read on each. ESP pats 2nd rd pick. I hope that works out.