2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (updated 4-25-12)

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Re: 2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (3/11/12)

In Response to Re: 2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (3/11/12):
    [QUOTE]In a year when rookies will cost less than ever before in the modern age, I don't see BB trading down and out of the first round entirely.

RESPONSE: I see it happening because after the first 15-20 picks, there's a bunch of second round talent. This is a fairly deep draft, but doesn't seem to have many blue chip prospects.

Moreover are we really mocking draft picks based on conjecture from one Raven's insider who, believe it, would love to see the Ravens turn a 3rd round draftee (Webb) into a 1st round pick.  Webb is 180 pounds soaking wet and has one solid season under his belt in a great system surrounded by great players, he is Asante Samuel light to me, overrated, over valued...

RESPONSE: Perhaps...but can we agree that the Pats need to improve their secondary? After the top four CBs, there seems to be a major drop off. 

McCourty, Ras Dowling and Arrington are the starters at corner, when healthy all are as good or better than Webb.

RESPONSE: I beg to differ. You're selling Webb short. He's an ascending player. McCourty is coming off a terrible year at CB...and may be better suited to play safety. Arrington had alot of picks, but seemed to get beaten like a drum otherwise. Ras-I is talented, but injury prone.

We need a strong safety to plug in next to Chung, not another corner IMO.

RESPONSE: Chung plays SS. The Pats need a free safety.

We need beef up front, take a D tackle/end and maybe a safety in the 1st if quality is still there.

RESPONSE: I agree about the need on the D-line and at safety. But, after doing my mock, it appears that the best defenders will be gone by the time the Pats pick at #27. I'd rather see the Pats trade down, or select the best players available, regardless of position...than reach for a lesser defensive player. 
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Tex,

The difference between first and high second round talent is not that big a difference, my point is that a first rounder now costs what a 2nd or even 3rd rounder cost last year, taking a shot on a rookie isn't as large a gamble as before so why trade out?  Just take the player you want unless you feel you can get them later.

We do agree that the Pats need to improve their safety position, not necessarily corner, there is a chance BB will grab another large cover corner and plug him or Ras in at free safety, highly likely in fact, but I still would love to see BB make a move up for Mark Barron or find a sleeper later in the draft, in other words I'd like to find a safety who plays bigger than Chung so he could slide to free safety, a position he could play easily and it would make us bigger instead of smaller back there...

The biggest problems with our defensive backfield stem our our inability to get pressure up front. Granted with a full training camp I don't believe BB will field this dumbed down 2/4/5 defense that he did for the first 2/3rds of the regular season as he did last season (which is what led to such horrible statistical results) but he did what he had to do with a shortened pre-season.  

This season he should have enough time and the young players we already have will have grasped the fundamentals of the 3/4 that we should be able to field a competent D provided we get some help at defensive tackle this offseason.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]Tex, The difference between first and high second round talent is not that big a difference, my point is that a first rounder now costs what a 2nd or even 3rd rounder cost last year, taking a shot on a rookie isn't as large a gamble as before so why trade out?

RESPONSE: The Pats' should reach for a player in the first round. If a first round talent isn't there, they should trade down. Why take a guy with a second round grade in round one...when you can trade down, and get a similar player, plus a #1 pick next year?

Just take the player you want unless you feel you can get them later. We do agree that the Pats need to improve their safety position, not necessarily corner, there is a chance BB will grab another large cover corner and plug him or Ras in at free safety, highly likely in fact, but I still would love to see BB make a move up for Mark Barron or find a sleeper later in the draft, in other words I'd like to find a safety who plays bigger than Chung so he could slide to free safety, a position he could play easily and it would make us bigger instead of smaller back there...

RESPONSE: No way BB trades up to get Barron. Though Barron is the best safety available in this class and a good prospect, he's not worth the cost of a move-up. The Pats have too many holes elsewhere to waste a couple of high picks, reaching for Barron. If they're going to do that, I'd rather see them spend their 31st overall pick to get a known quantity, like Lardarius Webb.

The biggest problems with our defensive backfield stem our our inability to get pressure up front. Granted with a full training camp I don't believe BB will field this dumbed down 2/4/5 defense that he did for the first 2/3rds of the regular season as he did last season (which is what led to such horrible statistical results) but he did what he had to do with a shortened pre-season.

RESPONSE: True...a good pass-rush makes any secondary look good. But, those guys are hard to come by.
         BB tends to play alot of vanilla defense in the regular season, especially against the weaker teams. He doesn't seem to put in the wrinkles until late in the season. By then he has a better grasp on who is available health wise, and what the strengths and weaknesses of his players are. 
         A rash of injuries, and the failure of veteran players Bodden, Sanders, and Meriweather necessitated a switch to the loose "D" the Pats ran early. 

This season he should have enough time and the young players we already have will have grasped the fundamentals of the 3/4 that we should be able to field a competent D provided we get some help at defensive tackle this offseason.

RESPONSE: The Pats still lack enough talent to beat the top teams. They need to upgrade in the secondary, add quality depth at LB, and upgrade on the DL. On offense, they're woefully weak at WR, need to upgrade in the interior of their OL, and could use a stud RB to take some of the pressure off Tom Brady.  
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

With all the free agent signings this week, I'll definately need to upgrade my mock draft over the weekend...LOL!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

re " The Pats still lack enough talent to beat the top teams. They need to upgrade in the secondary, add quality depth at LB, and upgrade on the DL. On offense, they're woefully weak at WR, need to upgrade in the interior of their OL, and could use a stud RB to take some of the pressure off Tom Brady.  "

my sentiments exactly.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikejt. Show mikejt's posts

I see the Patriots drafting at #27 Peter Konz a Center from Wisconsin. Big kid. The Pats don't currently have a center under contract and Koppen is coming off a major injury. I see Bill working his trade magic with the #31 pick . He will trade down with this pick and pick up a 1st round pick in 2013.  They need help at safety, WR and pass rush but they will likely address these with free agency. In Bill we trust....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]I see the Patriots drafting at #27 Peter Konz a Center from Wisconsin. Big kid. The Pats don't currently have a center under contract and Koppen is coming off a major injury. I see Bill working his trade magic with the #31 pick . He will trade down with this pick and pick up a 1st round pick in 2013.  They need help at safety, WR and pass rush but they will likely address these with free agency. In Bill we trust....
    Posted by mikejt[/QUOTE]

I thought so initially, too. But, at the Combine, Konz bench pressed 225 pounds only 18 times. For guys like us, that's superb! But for NFL players, that's weak...especially for an offensive lineman. RBs bench pressed more. 

This alone doesn't mean Konz won't develop, with some work in the weight room, into a great player. Still, it's a concern.    

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Re: 2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (3/19/12)

If interested, you're welcome to check out my updated 2012 mock draft, above.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

i can't get over the idea that ingram drops to 53. short arms and all, he looks to me like a james harrison with an inch and 10 more pounds. if he's there for houston, i believe they'll pounce. i actually hope that happens because i like perry at 27. that said, perry does not get out of the top 20.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In Response to Re: 2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (3/19/12):
    [QUOTE]i can't get over the idea that ingram drops to 53. short arms and all, he looks to me like a james harrison with an inch and 10 more pounds. if he's there for houston, i believe they'll pounce. i actually hope that happens because i like perry at 27. that said, perry does not get out of the top 20.
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]

Of course, this is just a projection on my part of what could happen. I'd read that Ingram may be sliding, out of fear that he's a "tweener"...too small to play DE, but too slow to play OLB.

As for James Harrison, the Steelers got him as an undrafted FA. Hard to believe.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Harrison_(American_football)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Are the Pats through in free agency? My guess is that, if they don't resign BJGE, they'll add a RB...or, perhaps a safety. Do they have a chance at retaning DE/OLB Mark Anderson?  

Thoughts?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I think there is another signing coming in FA. Not sure who or where, perhaps OL. I would really like to see them grab Wimbley, but I think he is headed to KC. KC will be stacked at LB with Wimbley, Houston and Hali. That is a dangerous trio.

I think they have a chance at retaining Anderson, but sad to say, i think he will move on. That's okay because I think given the money they could save on him, they could draft a Curry in round 2 that would potentially give them equal production and is younger, stouter against the run, and overall better pass rusher/coverage LB.

I was high on Still and Brockers before all the draft talk heated up, but since, I believe the best bet for us at 31 is Reyes. I've seen him with both 1st and 2nd round grades, and at 31, it's the perfect place to nab him. He provides the much needed 3-4 DE we need, and should be quite good inside in the 4-3 with Fanene kicking out, and perhaps Curry as the other bookend.

I'm with Wozzy on the idea of drafting a corner to play Safety. I think the safety class is not that strong, better safeties coming out next year, and FS as far as I'm concerned is very weak in this draft. Barron is more of a SS type, same with Smith and Iloka.

Fanene to me is better suited to play 4-3 DE or DT. I like the lineup of Reyes, VW and Deaderick as our 3-4 line.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Hey Tex, I like your latest mock. Must have took a while to put together so I commend you for that alone. I know trading down isnt always a popular thing amongst fans, but atleast you are being realistic and creating a very likely scenario.

I like the DT pick followed by an OLB, as thats exactly what I would do, just dont know if I wanna trade back for lesser talent, but thats usually the case with us.

I dont mind the CB pick in the 3rd either. Judging by the lack of veteran CB's they have worked out so far, I am guessing this is pretty acurate as well. Again, Dont know If I would take Boykins, but I like the positions  you targeted early. Lets hope the Pats are on board with that too.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]nepatriotsdraft.com has Pats trading both picks to the Rams to move up to get Coples. Didn't LT play in North Carolina?
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

That would be a wasted pick. Please don't let that happen!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]nepatriotsdraft.com has Pats trading both picks to the Rams to move up to get Coples. Didn't LT play in North Carolina?
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

I know...I saw that. But, they're not being realistic. There's no way the Rams would trade the 6th overall pick for the 27th and 31st.

If the Patriots had the 6th overall pick, would you be pleased if they made such a trade?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

With Manning going to Denver, I guess it's time once against to modify my mock draft. I thought that he'd choose Tennessee.

Now that Denver is the "chosen one", will the Broncos try to sign Steelers' WR Mike Wallace? If they do, and the Steelers are unable to match the offer, it would cost the Broncos their 25th overall pick.  

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Re: 2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (3/25/12)

If interested, your welcome to check out my updated 2012 Mock Draft...now updated to 3/25/12, above. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from elDunker2. Show elDunker2's posts

In response to "Re: 2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (3/11/12)": [QUOTE]Interesting, in-depth shot at something that is always a mystery until BB actually pulls the trigger, TP.  Equally interesting comments from other posters as well, particularly ramekapp.  I do note that BB traded out of the first round completely in the 2009 draft.  Wouldn't be surprised if he didn't do it again. Posted by ATJ[/QUOTE] I disagree. Because BB will be looking to build the best possiblt team for 2013 (and 2014) while Brady is still capable of winning the SB. I don't see BB trading down and casting for the future. Its draft the best players NOW towin...and it will inlude. DE, OLB, DT CB OL in that order. The offense doesn't need any help now that Lloyd and Stallwoth are on board with exception of OL. The D will be the focus.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: 2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (3/11/12)": I disagree. Because BB will be looking to build the best possiblt team for 2013 (and 2014) while Brady is still capable of winning the SB. I don't see BB trading down and casting for the future. Its draft the best players NOW towin...and it will inlude. DE, OLB, DT CB OL in that order. The offense doesn't need any help now that Lloyd and Stallwoth are on board with exception of OL. The D will be the focus.
    Posted by elDunker2[/QUOTE]

But, what happens if, when the Pats turn to pick comes up at #27, the best DEs, OLBs, DTs, and CBs are gone? Should they use a first round pick on a defensive lineman with a 3rd round grade? Or, should they trade down, and select the best player available to them, regardless of position?

In my updated mock, I chose the later path for them. They end up strengthening their secondary, their OL, their WR corps, and solidy their RB situation. Isn't that better than reaching for mashers and pass-rushers who don't have a first round grade? 

The Pats will still have an opportunities to strength their pass-rush and D-line. For example, the Indianapolis Colts will soon have to release DE Dwight Freeney. They can't keep him or trade him, because he makes too much money. No team will trade for him and take on his current contract. Rather, teams will wait until he's released...and bid to sign him as an UFA. 

Odds are, Freeney will want to play only for a SB contender. Of the contending teams, Green Bay or New England would be his best bets.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skadude22. Show Skadude22's posts

I didn't read through the whole thread, but if the Eagles spend their 1st round pick (#15) on a CB, that would have to be the absolute definition of BPA.  They have Asomugha, Samuel, Rodgers-Cromartie, and Hanson.  And if Brockers makes it to #27, and New England doesn't take him, I would be absolutely stunned.  Lots of mock drafts have him going in the top 10-15, and he fits the description of what the Patriots need to a T.  Just my opinion. 

Other thoughts I had:
    If Denver was that desperate to get a WR at #25, Randle seems like a more likely pick.  But more likely, they would offer sheet Wallace.  They have the cap space, and he's in his prime, and Manning doesn't give them a window to develop a receiver out of college.
    Devon Still at #18 seems like a bit of a reach. 
    Can't see the Bengals taking 2 CB's, I'm almost certain they'll take one, but they were a playoff team last year and there were multiple holes.  If they can sure up more than one in the draft, they could be even better this year. 

Other than that, I can see where you were coming from.  I personally don't think they'll be doing as much moving, but BB is as unpredictable as they come, so you might be spot on.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In Response to Re: 2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (3/25/12):
    [QUOTE]I didn't read through the whole thread, but if the Eagles spend their 1st round pick (#15) on a CB, that would have to be the absolute definition of BPA.  They have Asomugha, Samuel, Rodgers-Cromartie, and Hanson.

RESPONSE: Samuel has been spouting off in Philly, and makes far too much money.  The Eagles will try to trade him. But, because of his contract situation, they might simply have to release him:  http://www.nationalfootballauthority.com/2012/02/philadelphia-eagles-rumors-is-asante.html
         Rogers-Cromartie is another CB with a big contract, who has been as disappointing to the Eagles as Kevin Kolb has been to the Cardinals. I look for Philly to try to upgrade:

http://gcobb.com/2012/02/29/its-time-for-the-birds-to-send-asante-samuel-elsewhere/

And if Brockers makes it to #27, and New England doesn't take him, I would be absolutely stunned.  Lots of mock drafts have him going in the top 10-15, and he fits the description of what the Patriots need to a T.  Just my opinion.

RESPONSE: I agree that many publications have Brockers highly rated. But, what did he do at LSU? I don't recall him being a dominant player. Though his potential is sky high, he's yet to fulfill it: http://www.kffl.com/a.php/129818/160 
         He reminds me of the late Marquise Hill, may he rest in peace. The Pats took the 6'7", 305lb. DE Hill, also out of LSU, at the end of the second round, with the 63rd overall pick, in the 2004 NFL draft. Hill was the guy who was supposed to replace Richard Seymour. After three disappointing seasons, Hill was hanging on to his roster spot by a thread, going into the 2007 season. That summer, he drowned in an unfortunate jet ski accident in Lake Ponchatrain. 
         Just because a guy has the physical attributes of being a stud defender, doesn't mean that he'll become one. Look no further than Ron Brace.
         Brockers may one day develop into a very good player. But when? I see him as a project...and the Pats should never spend a first round pick on a project.   

Other thoughts I had: If Denver was that desperate to get a WR at #25, Randle seems like a more likely pick.  But more likely, they would offer sheet Wallace.  They have the cap space, and he's in his prime, and Manning doesn't give them a window to develop a receiver out of college.

RESPONSE: Like Brockers, Randle is another guy who didn't do much at LSU, but is brimming with potential. Again, I don't feel comfortable spending a #1 pick on a project.
         As for Wallace, his contract demands are ridiculous. So, he's likely staying put:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/22/report-mike-wallace-told-49ers-he-wants-more-than-larry-fitzgerald/

Devon Still at #18 seems like a bit of a reach.

RESPONSE: That's true. He's slid some. 

Can't see the Bengals taking 2 CB's, I'm almost certain they'll take one, but they were a playoff team last year and there were multiple holes.  If they can sure up more than one in the draft, they could be even better this year.

RESPONSE: Gilmore can play safety or CB. Adding him and Jenkins gives the Bengals two young, talented CBs, who performed well in college.

Other than that, I can see where you were coming from.  I personally don't think they'll be doing as much moving, but BB is as unpredictable as they come, so you might be spot on.

RESPONSE: True that! That's what makes the draft so much fun for Patriots' fans. You never know what Yoda Bill has up his sleeve.
    Posted by Skadude22[/QUOTE]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Dont'a Hightower and Jerel Worthy should be available to the Pats at #27 and #31. Should they take them, or trade down?  http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4719718/mock-thoughts-hightower-worthy

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

4) Tannehill to the Browns.  I've seen other mochs say this as well.  I don't see it.  Why get a new QB only to get him killed?  I also see this as a reach and a half.  Don't get it at all.  After losing Hillis they'll probably give Richardson a good look but they do need a corner and the best one on the block is there.
    6) Rams go for Blackmon.

I don't get your thinking that the Pats will trade both picks.  Not with the likes of Brockers, Konz, Worthy, Branch, Mercilus and Reyes there as you show.  If a trade is going to be made with these players on the board my asking price would be a bit more.

Sections
Shortcuts