2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (updated 4-25-12)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kenscreen. Show kenscreen's posts

Re: 2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (3/25/12)

In Response to Re: 2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (3/25/12):
    4) Tannehill to the Browns.  I've seen other mochs say this as well.  I don't see it.  Why get a new QB only to get him killed?  I also see this as a reach and a half.  Don't get it at all.  After losing Hillis they'll probably give Richardson a good look but they do need a corner and the best one on the block is there. 6) Rams go for Blackmon. I don't get your thinking that the Pats will trade both picks.  Not with the likes of Brockers, Konz, Worthy, Branch, Mercilus and Reyes there as you show.  If a trade is going to be made with these players on the board my asking price would be a bit more.
    Posted by garytx

I agree, look at my below roster projections and in my opinion, If BB does trade it will be for more picks next year.

Offense:

3. Quarterback - Tom Brady; Brian Hoyer; Ryan Mallett;

3. Running Back - Stevan Ridley; Danny Woodhead; Shane Vereen;

5. Wide Receiver – Wes Welker; Brandon Lloyd; Starworth; Deon Branch;  Anthony Gonzalez;

3. Tight End: Rob Gronkowski; Aaron Hernandez, Daniel Fells

3. Offensive Tackle: Nate Solder; Sebastian Vollmer; Marcus Cannon;

4. Offensive Guard: Logan Mankins; Brian Waters; Ryan Wendell; Gallary

1. Offensive Center: Dan Connolly;

Defense:

2. Defensive End - Brandon Deaderick; Jonathan Fanene;

3. Defensive Tackle - Vince Wilfork; Kyle Love*; Myron Pryor;

4. Outside Linebacker - Rob Ninkovich; Markell Carter; Trevor Scott, Andre Carter

4. Inside Linebacker - Jerod Mayo; Brandon Spikes; Dane Fletcher; Tracy White;

4. Cornerback - Devin McCourty; Ras-I Dowling; Kyle Arrington; Sterling Moore

4. Safety - Pat Chung; Steve Gregory; Matthew Slater, James Ihedigbo

3. Special Teams:

K: Stephen Gostkowski

P: Zoltan Mesko

LS: Danny Aiken

22 players on offense + 24 players on defense and special teams = 46 players: 53 on the roster, plus the 7 picks in the 2012 draft, 1,1A 2,2A, 3rd and 4th, (6) of them will make the team, the 7th round pick will not. This = 52 players, leaving 1 spots open.

KG

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Sorry Tex.  You still have NE trading away from a chance to land Brockers at 27.  Don't like that idea.  I don't mind trading away pick 31, however.  Great job thinking this mock through. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I'll throw my two cents in, there was a report complete with pictures that BB has visited two Colleges LSU and Nebraska,both have the same type players the Patriots would target, at Tigerville they have Brockers and Claiborne plus Randle! While at Huskerville they have the dynamic duo of Dennard and Crick. Alabama has 7 quality players who are in the draft headed by Kilpatrick,Barron and Hightower. It doesn't appear as if the Patriots could go wrong by drafting any of these guys. With all the acquisitions during the first week of Free agency it would appear as if Defense is the way they will go early in the draft,please keep in mind that BB isn't going to use both of his first round picks,so it will come down to which one has more value as to which one he'll trade! I know we all want a DE/OLB who can get after it that's why if Mercilus is available they will draft him with their first pick.They will trade #27 as this one will have the most value they will get the usual next years first and a second this year and maybe a fifth rounder.Kenscreen on your projected roster you left off both Ocho and Will Allen I'm pretty sure that both will make the team. I know everyone thinks Ocho is a goner but I'm not of that belief,if he immerses himself in the playbook and has a full training camp with TFB he will be balls to the wall this year!As for Allen he projects as the slot cover guy and maybe even some FS,he had a good season for the Phins this past season,especially against the slot receivers allowing a scant .8 yrds per catch,or in other words no YAC!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to 2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (3/25/12):
         This is my amended 2012 NFL Mock Draft, which is sure to undergo more changes. Peyton Manning's decision on playing for Denver necessitates another revision.      Again, although some see mocks as a waste of time, I enjoy doing one because it helps familiarize me with the college prospects, and the needs of each team. This in turn helps me to get an idea of what players will be available to the Patriots at the 27th, 31st, 48th, and 63rd overall selection spots. Here goes:                                             ROUND 1 1.) Indianapolis Colts - QB Andrew Luck, Stanford: Though some media types are speculating that Indy might bypass Luck for Robert Griffin III (RG III), it's not going to happen. Luck is the closest thing to Peyton Manning to come out of college since, well, Peyton Manning. Though RG III has intriguing athletic abilities, Luck is quite an athlete himself. The difference between the two is that Luck appears to be a consummate, polished pocket passer...while Griffin is more of a Michael Vick type. Would you rather have Peyton Manning (hopefully minus the choke gene), or Michael Vick with a better IQ?; 2.) Washington Redskins - QB Robert Griffin III, Baylor: The Redskins paid a massive price to get RG III. At Baylor, he displayed the ability to throw deep with great accuracy. I recall watching Griffin play in a game where he completed something like 25 passes in a row...several of those were long passes. The only questions on him is whether he can get the job done if contained within the pocket, whether he can stay healthy, and how well he'll do against much better competition than he faced in the Big 12. Yet, he performed brilliantly against two pretty good college teams, Texas and Oklahoma. This guy is fun to watch;  3.) Minnesota Vikings - OT Ryan Kalil, USC: Minnesota badly needs a CB. But, their need at LT is just as strong. If Christian Ponder is to have a chance of developing into a solid NFL QB, he must be protected. Kalil is the best OT prospect since Joe Thomas; 4.) Cleveland Browns - QB Ryan Tannehill, Texas A&M: Another huge mistake, made by the Lake. How can Mike Holmgren reach for Tannehill, when he could add sure thing, blue chips prospects like RB Trent Richardson and CB Mo Claiborne? Richardson will be an instant impact player, and would give to the Browns what Peyton Hillis did for one year, in 2010.  CHANGE from RB Trent Richardson, Alabama .  5.) Tampa Bay Buccaneers - CB Morris Claiborne, LSU: The Bucs need help in the secondary more than they need a RB. They are delighted to have Claiborne fall to them. CHANGE from RB Trent Richardson; 6.) St. Louis Rams- RB Trent Richardson, Alabama: Jeff Fisher loves the running game. He's previously built his offenses around RBs Eddie George and Chris Johnson in Tennessee. Who better to follow in their footsteps than the Alabama Whamma. Richardson appears to be a faster, more athletic version of Jerome Bettis.  RB Stephen Jackson is traded to the New England Patriots for the Patriots' 94th overall pick, and a conditional 4th round pick in 2013. CHANGE  from the Rams selecting WR Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma State; 7.) Jacksonville Jaguars - DE Quinton Coples, North Carolina: Could be the top pass-rusher available. Though the Jags are a team screaming for offensive help (WR Michael Floyd?), they'll continue to build on the defensive side of the ball; 8.) Miami Dolphins - WR Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma State:  The 'Fins are devastated by a tragic happenings for them in the 2012 off-season. If they're flailing around signing a QB like David Gerrard, who wasn't even in the league last year...they must know that the Browns are going to take Ryan Tannehill, and have no interest in Tim Tebow. So...they try to excite the fan base by bringing in a first rate WR, to replace the departed Brandon Marshall.  CHANGE from QB Ryan Tannehill, Texas A&M; 9.) Carolina Panthers - DT Dontari Poe, Memphis: A massive man who was a Combine warrior. He has the physical look of another Vince Wilfolk. The Panthers hope that he's all that, and more; 10.) Buffalo Bills - WR Michael Floyd, Notre Dame: The Bills set their sights directly on the Patriots' secondary with this choice.  CHANGE from DE/OLB Whitney Mercilus, after the signing of DE/OLB Mario Williams; 11.) Kansas City Chiefs - OT Reilly Reiff, Iowa: Not a sexy pick, but a good one. Reiff is just what the Chiefs need to solidify their OL. CHANGE from OG David DeCastro, Stanford;   12.) Seattle Seahawks - DE/DT Fletcher Cox, Mississippi State: Great building block for Pete Carroll's DL. Tough for Seahawks to pass up David DeCastro; 13.) Arizona Cardinals - OT Jonathan Martin, Stanford: The Cards attempt to rebuild their horrid OL. OT is a greater need than OG.  CHANGE from OG David DeCastro, Stanford ; 14.) Dallas Cowboys - OG David DeCastro, Stanford: This pick makes too much sense for the 'Boys. DeCastro is the best OG prospect since Steve Hutchinson. But, Jerry Jones will hate passing on a huge CB like Kirkpatrick, knowing he'll be picked next by the Eagles. CHANGE  from Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama; 15.) Philadelphia Eagles - CB Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama: Huge CB will remind many Eagle fans of big Bobby Taylor. I had thought that ILB Luke Kuechly would be their choice. But, the Eagles just stole two-time pro-bowl MLB DeMeco Ryans from the Houston Texans. Philly traded their 77th and 100th overall picks for Ryans, and the Texans' 89th overall pick. The Texans made this trade in part because they had to clear some cap space in order to sign their 2012 draft class. This trade led to the CHANGE from  ILB Luke Kuechly, Boston College;  16.) N. Y. Jets - DE/OLB Nick Perry, USC: Get Tom Brady...get Tom Brady...get Tom Brady. The signing of LaRon Landry eases their need somewhat at safety. CHANGE from SS Mark Barron, Alabama; 17.) Cincinnati Bengals- CB Stephon Gilmore,  South Carolina: Gilmore is a need pick for the Bengals, who look to fortify their secondary. CHANGE from CB Janoris Jenkins, North Alabama ;    18.) San Diego Chargers - DT Devon Still, Penn State: Huge DT replaces Luis Castillo of the Bolts' DL. CHANGE from OG/OT Cordy Glenn, Georgia; 19.) Chicago Bears - OG/OT Cordy Glenn, Georgia: QB Jay Cutler needs better protection from his OL.  CHANGE from DT Fletcher Cox, Mississippi State; 20.) Tennessee Titans - SS Mark Barron, Alabama:  Titans try to bolster they secondary. Signing of Kameron Wimbley decreases the need for a pass-rusher. CHANGE from DE Whitney Mercilus, Illinois; 21.) Cincinnati Bengals- CB Janoris Jenkins, North Alabama: The Bengals double-up at CB with Jenkins. After the first four CBs, there's a heavy drop-off; 22.) Cleveland Browns - WR Stephen Hill, Georgia: Browns reach for a deep threat; 23.) Detroit Lions - CB Alfonzo Dennard, Nebraska: Lions badly need a secondary help. CHANGE from Stephon Gilmore, South Carolina; 24.) Pittsburgh Steelers - ILB Luke Kuechly, Boston College:  Steelers just released long-tome ILB James Farrior. Kuechly can step right in and dominate. CHANGE  from OLB/DE, Courtney Upshaw, Alabama; 25.) Denver Broncos- WR Alshon Jeffrey, South Carolina:  Would not be my choice. But, John Elway and the Broncos are all in on Peyton Manning, and likely want to surround him with weapons. A DT, RB, and OL upgrades seem to be greater needs. CHANGE from possible Mike Wallace trade, in which the Steelers chose here, and selected   OLB/DE Courtney Upshaw;   26.) Houston Texans - DE/OLB Courtney Upshaw, Alabama: The Texans' calling card is on defense. Upshaw replaces the departed Mario Williams. CHANGE from DE/OLB Melvin Ingram, South Carolina; 27.) Chicago Bears (trade with N. E. Patriots) - DE/DT Michael Brockers, LSU: Bears move up to get Brockers. They trade their 50th overall pick this year, and their #1 pick in 2013.   28.) Green Bay Packers - DE/OLB Melvin Ingram, South Carolina: Green Bay finds a pass-rusher to compliment Clay Matthews. CHANGE from C Peter Konz, Wisconsin;    29.) Baltimore Ravens - C/OG Peter Konz, Wisconsin: Starting center Matt Birk is 36 years old, and OG Ben Grubbs has left for New Orleans. Konz can fill in for Grubbs at guard, and eventually take over at center for Birk. CHANGE from ILB Dont'a Hightower, Alabama; 30.) San Francisco 49ers - TE Coby Fleener, Stanford: Another weapon for Alex Smith, as the 49ers try to mimic the Patriots' two TE success; 31.) Denver Broncos (from New England Patriots): - DT Jerel Worthy, Michigan State: The Broncos lost DT Brodrick Bunkley through free agency, and badly need a DT. So, they send the Patriots their 57th pick this year, and their #1 pick next year, to move up for Worthy.  CHANGE from Alonzo Dennard, Nebraska; 32.) New York Giants - OLB/DE Andre Branch, Clemson: Giants know that they have won two SBs due to clutch QB play, and a relentless pass-rush. They add Branch to continue theirassaults on NFL QBs.  CHANGE from WR Mohamed Sanu, Rutgers;                                          ROUND 2 33.) St. Louis Rams) - OT Mike Adams, Ohio State:  Rams are hopeful that Adams will develop into a solid LT; 34.) Indianapolis Colts - WR Ruben Randle, LSU: Randle become Luck's younger version of Reggie Wayne?; 35.) Minnesota Vikings - CB/KR Josh Robinson, Central Florida: Robinson was the fastest CB at the Combine; 36.) Tampa Bay Buccaneers - FS Harrison Smith, Notre Dame: The Bucs need lots of help in the secondary to defend against the pass-happy QBs in their division, Drew Brees, Matt Ryan, and Cam Newton; 37.) Cleveland Browns - DE Whitney Mercilus, Illinois:  Browns add another pass-rusher to play opposite of Jabaal Sheard. CHANGE from Andre Branch, Clemson; 38.) Jacksonville Jaguars - WR Kendall Wright, Baylor:  Somebody for Blaine Gabbert to throw to;  39.) St. Louis Rams - DT/DE Kendall Reyes, Connecticut: The addition of eyes helps to fortify the Rams' DL; 40.) Carolina Panthers - CB Chase Minniefield, Virginia: Head coach Ron Rivera hopes that Minniefield is a chip off the old block (dad Frank Minniefield); 41.) Buffalo Bills - ILB Dont'a Hightower, Alabama: Another good move by the Bills, who continue to beef up their front seven.  CHANGE from OLB Zach Brown; 42.) Miami Dolphins - OLB/DE Vin Curry, Marshall: Get Tom Brady...get Tom Brady...get Tom Brady; 43.) Seattle Seahawks - DE/DT Jared Crick, Nebraska: Pete Carroll solidifies his DL; 44.) Kansas City Chiefs - NT Alameda Ta'amu, Washington: Romeo Crennel looks for his block of granite in the middle; 45.) Dallas Cowboys - DE/OLB Chandler Jones, Syracuse: Cowboys add a pass-rusher to get heat on the quality QBs (Eli Manning, Michael Vick, and RG III) in their division; 46.) Philadelphia Eagles - DT Brandon Thompson, Clemson: Andy Reid adds depth to his DL. CHANGE from DT Jerel Worthy , Michigan State. 47.) N. Y. Jets - RB Doug Martin, Boise State: The Jets have nothing at RB. CHANGE from OLB Ronnell Lewis, Oklahoma; 48.) New England Patriots - CB/FS Trumaine Johnson, Montana:  Pats add depth to their secondary by adding the lengthy Johnson;      49.) San Diego Chargers - OT Bobby Massie, Mississippi: Bolts continue to fortify their OL.  CHANGE from DT Brandon Thompson, Clemson (selected by N.E. Patriots in a proposed trade); 50.) New England Patriots (from Chicago Bears) - OT Mitchell Schwartz, California:  Pats add depth to their OL, in the event that long time LT Matt Light retires, and/or Sebastien Vollmer's back acts up again; 51.) Philadelphia Eagles - TE Dwayne Allen, Clemson: Eagles' TE Brent Celek underwent multiple surgeries in the off-season; 52.) Tennessee Titans - OG/OC Kevin Zeitler, Wisconsin: Titans add to their OL; 53.) Cincinnati Bengals- RB Lamar Miller, Miami: Breakaway threat to compliment RB BJGE. CHANGE from CB Brandon Boykin, Georgia; 54.) Detroit Lions - OT Zebrie Sanders, Florida State: Matthew Stafford needs better protection;  55.) Atlanta Falcons - DE Cam Johnson, Virginia: Although the Falcons resigned John Abraham, he's 34 years old; 56.) Pittsburgh Steelers - OG/OT Keleche Osemele , Iowa State:  Steelers strive to improve their running game and better protect Ben Roethlisberger with the addition of Osemele; 57.) New England Patriots (from Denver Broncos) - WR Brian Quick, Appalachian State: Potential deep threat WR has Randy Moss-like potential; 58.) Houston Texans - WR Mohamad Sanu, Rutgers: Another option for the Texans' passing game, other than Andre Johnson; 59.) New Orleans Saints - forfeited, along with their 2013 second round  pick, due to Bounty-gate scandal; 60.) Green Bay Packers - CB Josh Norman, Coastal Carolina: Packers' secondary is aging; 61.) Baltimore Ravens - FS George Iloka, Boise State: Ravens look for the eventual replacement for the great, but aging Ed Reed. CHANGED from Bobbie Massie, Mississippi; 62.) San Francisco 49ers: RB Chris Polk, Washington: Frank Gore is a great RB when healthy. But, he's constantly dinged up, and need some relief. CHANGE from CB Ryan Steed, Furman; 63.) New England Patriots: CB Brandon Boykin, Georgia: Pats add depth to the secondary, as well as a first rate punt returner. CHANGE from WR Joe Adams, Arkansas;    64.) N. Y. Giants: RB David Wilson, Virginia Tech:  G-men need a RB to replace the departed Brandon Jacobs.  CHANGE from  Doug Martin, Boise State.         I know how many of you hate it when the Pats trade down. But, considering where they're selecting, it seems to be the thing to do.       To summarize, if things go according to my updated mock, the Pats come away with CB/FS Trumaine Johnson, and nickel CB Brandon Boykin to fortify their secondary.OT Mitchell Schwartz serves as insurance and depth on the OL. Brian Quick could be the deep threat that the Pats have been looking for. In addition, the Pats trade for veteran RB Steven Jackson, and come away ready for bear in the 2013 draft...with two additional first round draft choices from Chicago and Denver, respectively.       But, unfortunately, the Pats fail to fill pass-rushing needs in my mock...and will have to do so through free agency, and/or in the later rounds. The top pass-rushers will be gone by the time the Pats pick. The question is...does BB think that DE/OLB Whitney Mercilus and/or Andre Branch are worth by-passing a high value trade-down.       What's your opinions on this? Should the Pats have done the second trade-down with Denver? Or...should they instead select either Mercilus or Branch?      As for passing on Brockers at #27, I see him as a project, rather than a guy who can contribute immediately. First round picks should never be used on projects.             As always, your comments and opinions are most welcome.  
    Posted by TexasPat

I'm really hoping that BB will actually use the extra first round pick this year and forget this swapping picks for extra ammunition next year. He's been doing that for years and, if you never cash in on the extra pick, it means you're just wasting it. We can't play those extra 2013 picks in the 2012 season. 

We have to have some young muscle to rush passers. CBs and OTs and WRs are nice but they're not going to win us another SB. Plus, we've already got guys to fill those positions. Sure we'd like an upgrade but we've got adequate fill-ins. WE have no one to rush the passer and its been killing our defense for several years now.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Sorry Tex, but I would be 100% dissapointed if the draft turned out like that.  I know you're going for a realistic draft, but I would give the Pats an F if the draft turned out like that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

4) Tannehill to the Browns.  I've seen other mochs say this as well.  I don't see it.  Why get a new QB only to get him killed?  I also see this as a reach and a half.  Don't get it at all.  After losing Hillis they'll probably give Richardson a good look but they do need a corner and the best one on the block is there.

RESPONSE: I'm with you on this, my friend. I wouldn't touch Tannehill at #4 with a ten foot pole. I'm just trying to speculate what a QB needy team, that just missed out on acquiring RG III, might do. Richardson or Claiborne make a lot more sense at #4. They're better prospects. But, the NFL is a QB driven league. 

6) Rams go for Blackmon.

RESPONSE: Though the Rams need a WR, taking one at #6 is too high. Blackmon is good, but he's no Larry Fitzgerald, or Calvin Johnson. 
         The Rams have invested a ton of time and money in Sam Bradford. Yet, due to poor OL play, he's getting killed. If they don't do something to change that, Bradford could become another David Carr. 
         Jeff Fisher loves the running game. If a team can run the football, it takes pressure off the QB, and quells the aggressiveness of defenders aiming at the QB. OT Matt Kalil won't be there at #6. It's too early at #6 for OT Reilly Reiff. Though Richardson is a RB, he's not of the "dime a dozen" ilk. He's a bull in the china shop. If he's stays healthy, at minimum, he'll be another Jerome Bettis.          

I don't get your thinking that the Pats will trade both picks.  Not with the likes of Brockers, Konz, Worthy, Branch, Mercilus and Reyes there as you show.  If a trade is going to be made with these players on the board my asking price would be a bit more.

RESPONSE: You obviously have a higher opinion of these guys than I do. Let's take them one at a time:

1.) DE/DT Michael Brockers:  I see Brockers, coming out as a sophomore, to be too much of a project to invest a first round pick on. In one of my recent posts above, I've compared him to the late former Patriot, Marquise Hill.
         Like Brockers, Hill was a DE/DT out of LSU, who came out early. He too had mouth watering physical tools. Hill stood 6'7", and weighed 305lb.. The Pats invested the last pick in the second round (63rd overall), on him, during the 2004 draft. But, BB knew he was a project, and the Pats were projectinghim to take over at DE for Richard Seymour. Though by all accounts, Hill worked hard and was a nice guy, he never made the grade. He had three disappointing seasons for the Pats, in which he basically was red-shirted. Going into the 2007 season, there were questions whether he'd be released. We'll never know, since, unfortunately, he drowned that summer in Lake Ponchatrain, after a jet-ski accident...may he rest in peace. 
         But, BB took him at #63, not in round one...because he was a project. I don't see BB gambling in round one either, on Brockers. 

2.) C/OG Peter Konz: Now that the Pats have resigned Dan Connelly, Konz is no longer a need pick. Konz had a poor Combine, in which, if my memory serves me right, he bench pressed 225lbs only 18 times. For you and I, that's great. But, by NFL standards, that's poor. RBs out-benched Konz. Lack of strength and power is of course a concern when grading a guy who plays in the trenches. No doubt, Konz is the best center in the draft, but, is he worthy of a first round pick? I think not. With the exception of Nick Mangold, how many centers went in the first round, and proved to be dominant players? Like RBs, they can be had in the later rounds...just like Dan Koppen, who was originally a 5th rounder, the 164th player taken in the 2003 draft.

3.) DT Jerel Worthy: Though this guy reportedly underachieved at Michigan State, he could be a beast. If the Pats are going to use their #1 picks, I wouldn't mind seeing them use one on this guy. But...if Worthy were available at #27 or #31, and a team offers their second rounder this year and their #1 next, BB has shown that he'll almost always bite. 

4.) DE/DT Kendall Reyes: Sorry...but no way is this guy a first round talent. Furthermore, after seeing fellow UConn players Darius Butler, Dan Orlavsky, and Donald Brown bomb out in the NFL, I don't want to see any UConn guys near a Patriots' uniform. 

5.) OLB/DE Whitney Mercilus and Andre Branch: I put these guys together because I see them as similar players. There are questions about both regarding their ability to stop the run. Both strike me as Mark Anderson types. But, we saw what Mark Anderson did for the Pats last year. Still, Anderson was not a first round pick. He was a 5th round selection, the 159th overall pick, in the 2006 draft: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Anderson_(American_football)
         Taking Mercilus and/or Branch at with a first rounder seems a bit expensive. They could develop eventually as Anderson and Justin Tuck have. But, how soon? Due to the Pats great need for this type of player, the risk might be worth taking. But, again, judging from his history, it's going to be hard for BB to say no to a second rounder this year, and a #1 next, in exchange for passing on one or both of these guys.             

Posted by garytx

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Re: 2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (3/11/12)

In Response to Re: 2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (3/11/12):
    In Response to Re: 2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (3/11/12) :      But, what happens if, when the Pats turn to pick comes up at #27, the best DEs, OLBs, DTs, and CBs are gone? Should they use a first round pick on a defensive lineman with a 3rd round grade? Or, should they trade down, and select the best player available to them, regardless of position?      In my updated mock, I chose the later path for them. They end up strengthening their secondary, their OL, their WR corps, and solidy their RB situation. Isn't that better than reaching for mashers and pass-rushers who don't have a first round grade?       The Pats will still have an opportunities to strength their pass-rush and D-line. For example, the Indianapolis Colts will soon have to release DE Dwight Freeney. They can't keep him or trade him, because he makes too much money. No team will trade for him and take on his current contract. Rather, teams will wait until he's released...and bid to sign him as an UFA.       Odds are, Freeney will want to play only for a SB contender. Of the contending teams, Green Bay or New England would be his best bets.  
    Posted by TexasPat

Tex,

I haven't read you rupdated mock yet but will. But I wanted to comment on something here. You say you think because the best DEs, DTs, OLBs and CBs wil be gone that BB will trade down. I would not be surprised. But I DO NOT think it is a matter of how many at any position are drafted ahead of 27. Assuming we do not trade up (to numbers 9 through 15 or so or even just up to 18-23) I would not rule out a player at any of those positions. I do not think it is a matter of is the player one of the top 2 or 3 at any of those positions as per the "smart money" but whether BB thinks a player on the board is himself worth the value of that draft slot. Of course if he thinks he can get that player a dozen picks later he might trade down some but he might still like a player at that spot. And his evaluation might be a little different than many others. THis could be because of a player bringing a level of a mix of skills he wants to see, or a talent that really fits well with the roster, or because he fits nicely in a hadnful of critial packages, or simply because he thinks the player is better than others rate him.

So i do not disagree it could happen. But I think the evaluation is more nuanced. Perhaps I read to much into your short statement and I am not saying anything much different than you are. But I think, depending how the draft falls, their is as much chance of trading up in round one as trading down.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In Response to Re: 2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (3/11/12) : "...But I think, depending how the draft falls, their is as much chance of trading up in round one as trading down."
    Posted by portfolio1

Port...thank you for your post...I read it in it's entirety, but just wanted to comment on your last line. Based on BB's drafting history, there's no way that there is as much chance of him trading up, as there is trading down. 

I'm not saying that a situation will never present itself where he might trade up a few spots to get his man, but I'd be shocked if a major trade up occurred.  There's much greater chance of a major trade down...like trading one of their late first rounders for a second rounder this year, and a #1 next.

Once in a while, a team can get lucky, like the Pats did in 2008, when the San Francisco 49ers unexpectedly fell on their faces in 2007...resulting in the Pats coming away with the 7th overall pick in 2008.

If the Pats scored Denver's #1 in 2013, what would happen if Peyton Manning developed lingering weaknesses in his passing arm as a result of his  neck surgeries...or, if he suffered another injury, and missed the season? The Pats likely would wind up with a top 10 pick next year.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

OK, just running through the thread quickly...

I do see that the trade downs in round 1 that Tex makes are essentially like the trade down last year when we could have gotten Ingram at RB.

Actually, while there WILL BE players they like and we like at those draft slots it is almost impossible to not make those trades if in fact they are available. A second this year and a first next year for late round firsts? Yes, I would do those in a heart beat unless there was a franchise player available. And that is hugely unlikely after the first 6-10 picks.

But I doubt both picks will generate those kinds of trades. I still expect either a trade up or down simply because the draft is likely either to see a player fall further than the Pats think he should (a trade up) or because another team gets too overzelous to grab a player and offer us more than the slot is worth. Almost no one besides a speciall QB is worth 2 key players anymore. Depth and flexibility field a variety of packages require more quality players than 12 on offense and 12 on defense.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In Response to Re: 2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (3/11/12) :      Port...thank you for your post...I read it in it's entirety, but just wanted to comment on your last line. Based on BB's drafting history, there's no way that there is as much chance of him trading up, as there is trading down.       I'm not saying that a situation will never present itself where he might trade up a few spots to get his man, but I'd be shocked if a major trade up occurred.  There's much greater chance of a major trade down...like trading one of their late first rounders for a second rounder this year, and a #1 next.      Once in a while, a team can get lucky, like the Pats did in 2008, when the San Francisco 49ers unexpectedly fell on their faces in 2007...resulting in the Pats coming away with the 7th overall pick in 2008.      If the Pats scored Denver's #1 in 2013, what would happen if Peyton Manning developed lingering weaknesses in his passing arm as a result of his  neck surgeries...or, if he suffered another injury, and missed the season? The Pats likely would wind up with a top 10 pick next year.   
    Posted by TexasPat

Tex, I totally agree just by looking at the record that trading up is historically less likely. I say it is close to equally likely this year for the following reasons:

(1) the change in 1st round contracts makes higher first round picks less onerous than they have been in recent years. this is a big factor as it impacts not only the cap but the balance of pay across the roster

(2) they have picked up a lot of FA this year and lost few. It will be harder for a rookie to make the team than 1 and 2 years ago. This means it is likely that they will trade into next year and/or up for quality.

I suspect they will trade at least one pick into next year - either a 3rd into the second round or a second into the first round or, as you predict, a first for a pick this and and next year. But if a player is targeted and available at a late enough pick (say anywhere from 9 to 22) they might make a move. And in a year like this I am not going to be surprised if there are some further interestig moves like we saw with the Redskins overpaying for a pick and like we saw the Raiders do last year with over trading for Palmer.

I do agree it is perhaps not exactly equal likelihood but trading up this year seems more possible than in the past.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In Response to Re: 2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (3/11/12) : Tex, I totally agree just by looking at the record that trading up is historically less likely. I say it is close to equally likely this year for the following reasons: (1) the change in 1st round contracts makes higher first round picks less onerous than they have been in recent years. this is a big factor as it impacts not only the cap but the balance of pay across the roster (2) they have picked up a lot of FA this year and lost few. It will be harder for a rookie to make the team than 1 and 2 years ago. This means it is likely that they will trade into next year and/or up for quality. I suspect they will trade at least one pick into next year - either a 3rd into the second round or a second into the first round or, as you predict, a first for a pick this and and next year. But if a player is targeted and available at a late enough pick (say anywhere from 9 to 22) they might make a move. And in a year like this I am not going to be surprised if there are some further interestig moves like we saw with the Redskins overpaying for a pick and like we saw the Raiders do last year with over trading for Palmer. I do agree it is perhaps not exactly equal likelihood but trading up this year seems more possible than in the past.
    Posted by portfolio1

Port...if BB is planning to package his two #1s to move up, who would you want to see him targeting? 

It's true that the Pats have added bodies through free agency. Yet, they still have weaknesses throughout their defense, at RB, and on the OL...with Matt Light retiring, Sea-basses' bad back, and OG Brian Waters on his last legs at age 34.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

In Response to Re: 2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (3/25/12) : I agree, look at my below roster projections and in my opinion, If BB does trade it will be for more picks next year. Offense: 3. Quarterback - Tom Brady ; Brian Hoyer ; Ryan Mallett ; 3. Running Back - Stevan Ridley ; Danny Woodhead ; Shane Vereen ; 5. Wide Receiver – Wes Welker; Brandon Lloyd ; Starworth; Deon Branch;  Anthony Gonzalez ; 3. Tight End: Rob Gronkowski ; Aaron Hernandez , Daniel Fells 3. Offensive Tackle: Nate Solder ; Sebastian Vollmer ; Marcus Cannon ; 4. Offensive Guard: Logan Mankins ; Brian Waters ; Ryan Wendell ; Gallary 1. Offensive Center: Dan Connolly ; Defense: 2. Defensive End - Brandon Deaderick ; Jonathan Fanene ; 3. Defensive Tackle - Vince Wilfork ; Kyle Love *; Myron Pryor ; 4. Outside Linebacker - Rob Ninkovich ; Markell Carter ; Trevor Scott, Andre Carter 4. Inside Linebacker - Jerod Mayo ; Brandon Spikes ; Dane Fletcher ; Tracy White ; 4. Cornerback - Devin McCourty ; Ras-I Dowling ; Kyle Arrington ; Sterling Moore 4. Safety - Pat Chung ; Steve Gregory ; Matthew Slater , James Ihedigbo 3. Special Teams: K: Stephen Gostkowski P: Zoltan Mesko LS: Danny Aiken 22 players on offense + 24 players on defense and special teams = 46 players: 53 on the roster, plus the 7 picks in the 2012 draft, 1,1A 2,2A, 3rd and 4th, (6) of them will make the team, the 7 th round pick will not. This = 52 players, leaving 1 spots open. KG
    Posted by kenscreen

After looking at this roster the Pats sure do look thin on defense.  I wouldn't go into next looking like this.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In Response to Re: 2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (3/25/12) : After looking at this roster the Pats sure do look thin on defense.  I wouldn't go into next looking like this.
    Posted by garytx

Agreed. The Pats need to add at least one pass-rusher, a DE/DT type to add to the DL rotation, two CBs...or a CB and a free safety. On offense, there's questions on the OL, and at RB. As currently constructed, this is not a legitimate SB contending team.

Hopefully, most of these holes will be adequately filled through the draft.   

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

I am not saying they will trade up, only that I will not be shocked if they do.

I agree they need more than one key addition on D. But I am not hoping they get a pass rusher per se. I think the idea is to get players on the edge - DEs and/or OLBs, who can play 3 downs. That means stout against the run and solid pass rusher. Great pass rusher would be great but a 3 down player is more significant. By looking for full time players they do not get caught with certain packages on D. They do not go on the field without being able to play the game straight. It means they look for players like McGinest for example. Or Vrabel. I think getting full time players is what is needed most.

If they can resolve weaknesses it wil lbe easier to cover the remaining ones as there are too many now.

Certainly improving pass rush is a real need. So is being more consistant against the run without having to commit to stopping the run as opposed to the pass.

If they do go get a DT I suspect it will be someone who can help give Vinny a rest and can play along side him the way they were thinking about Haynesworth. But still, I think the edges are the weakest link.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

I am not saying they will trade up, only that I will not be shocked if they do. I agree they need more than one key addition on D. But I am not hoping they get a pass rusher per se. I think the idea is to get players on the edge - DEs and/or OLBs, who can play 3 downs. That means stout against the run and solid pass rusher. Great pass rusher would be great but a 3 down player is more significant. By looking for full time players they do not get caught with certain packages on D. They do not go on the field without being able to play the game straight. It means they look for players like McGinest for example. Or Vrabel. I think getting full time players is what is needed most. If they can resolve weaknesses it wil lbe easier to cover the remaining ones as there are too many now. Certainly improving pass rush is a real need. So is being more consistant against the run without having to commit to stopping the run as opposed to the pass. If they do go get a DT I suspect it will be someone who can help give Vinny a rest and can play along side him the way they were thinking about Haynesworth. But still, I think the edges are the weakest link.
    Posted by portfolio1

Port...who would you wish to see BB trade up for? What pass-rusher do you have in mind? What would the Pats have to give up to move up? 

If they stay where they are, they'll may have a shot at Mercilus,  Branch, or Worthy...although Worthy is rumored to be moving up the draft board.   

The other top pass rushers are DE Quinton Coples, DE/OLB Melvin Ingram, OLBs Nick Perry and Courtney Upshaw. At DT, Fletcher Cox and Jerel Worthy appear to be capable of collapsing the pocket.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

I'm bummed that you have the Pats trading out of the first round with both picks, but I'm assuming you did that just to bust our balls

Very well done though. Nice job

Youre like Mel Kiper only with less flamboyant hair:)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

I'm bummed that you have the Pat's trading out of the first round with both picks, but I'm assuming you did that just to bust our balls Very well done though. Nice job Youre like Mel Kiper only with less flamboyant hair:)
    Posted by AcheNot

How do you know that my hair is unflamboyant??

LOL!!!

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In Response to Re: 2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (3/25/12) : few can rival kiper there... btw tp saw ur update...i am sure the kid from clemson is a beast and i love getting after the qb but i hope jints are thinking OL, LB and RB first
    Posted by JintsFan

I initially had them taking OT Bobbie Massie at #32...because Massie has the tools to develop into a solid LT. But then I thought that it was a bit too early for Massie. That because Osi Umenyiora appears to be on his way out...that Mathias Kiwanuka would replace him at DE, and that Branch could replace Kiwanuka at OLB.

If Branch becomes a Justin Tuck clone, than the Giants would really have something in this kid.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

In Response to Re: 2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (3/25/12) :      How do you know that my hair is unflamboyant??      LOL!!!
    Posted by TexasPat

Youre right. I shouldnt be so presumptious

But on the Official Hair Flamboyance Scale there is Mel Kiper and then there is everybody else

It is reasonable to assume you are part of the "everybody else", no?:)

Peace

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In Response to Re: 2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (3/25/12) : Youre right. I shouldnt be so presumptious But on the Official Hair Flamboyance Scale there is Mel Kiper and then there is everybody else It is reasonable to assume you are part of the "everybody else", no?:) Peace
    Posted by AcheNot

LOL!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Here's SI's Don Banks' latest mock draft: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/don_banks/03/23/2012.mock.draft.3/index.html?sct=nfl_wr_a1

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: 2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (3/25/12) : well though out and certainly possible but it looks like Osi may stick around at least this year and their O line while solid is aging and oft-injured...LB been poor to average past 3 yrs...
    Posted by JintsFan

Yes. It appears that the acrimony last year over Osi's contract situation has waned. Osi has stated that he would take less to stay in NY: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/26/sports/football/new-deal-for-umenyiora-a-possibility-giants-say.html

That changes my thinking on who the Giants will take at #32. OT Bobby Massie should be their choice. Dont'a Hightower is another possibility. 

In SI's Don Banks' latest mock, he has Massie going to the Giants at #32. 

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts