2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (updated 4-25-12)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Re: 2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (3/25/12)

I have BB going for Brockers at #27 as a fallback position, but yes, I think he'd take a first and a second on principle if it were available. 

I'd be surprised if BB didn't trade at least one second rounder away. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In Response to Re: 2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (3/25/12):
    To me it all comes down to who is available at #27 or #31. For example, if Hightower miraculously falls into #27 you could see alot of teams that covet that pick. I said that someone would want Ingram to be their potential feature back and that I could see someone targeting him shortly before the Pats traded that pick. I just don't know that there are any players that teams would trade picks to get (aside from RGIII which we all knew was going to happen). We could see a team like the Bengels manipulate this draft a little given the position of their picks is better than the Pats. For example, if two teams want #21 for specific player it will be because that player will be gone by #27.  Just saying that the Pats aren't the only team capable of trading up or down. Welker is still in limbo and that could be a tag and trade given recent acquistions at WR. No teams' board is exactly the same. I am excited about this draft because of the 4 picks in two rounds I just don't think BB is all that excited about what is available with those picks. You and I agree on that one, but you need a partner if you want to dance and BB is very selective about who he trades with.
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz

Don't know how BB feels about the guys that should be around when the Pats are up to pick at #27 and #31. But, for what it's worth, I'm not terribly excited about the players that should be available. I don't see them as being worthy of being #1 picks.

This draft seems to be deep at WR, and fairly deep at DT, RB, OL, OLB, and CB. But, there aren't that many blue chip prospects. At WR, there are perhaps three ...Justin Blackmon, Michael Floyd, and Kendall Reyes. At DT, there's Dontari Poe, Fletcher Cox, Devon Still, and Jerel Worthy (I see Michael Brockers as a project...not worthy of a #1 pick). At RB, there's Trent Richardson. On the OL, there's Ryan Kalil, Reillt Reiff, David DeCastro, Cordy Glenn, and Johnathan Martin. At OLB, there's Nick Perry, Courtney Upshaw, and Mel Ingram. At CB, there's a huge drop-off after Morris Claiborne, Stephon Gilmore, Dre Kirkpatrick, and Janoris Jenkins. Thereafter, there's a bunch of 2nd - 4th round types. 

BB will find a trading partner. There's always some team that falls in love with a certain guy...and sees themselves a player away.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In Response to Re: 2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (3/25/12):
    Texpat I am intrigued by the Pats trading completely out of rd 1 and having 3 in 2013.  which I am sure he will trade those for 5 in #1s in future years , and this will go on and on untill! I see BBs master plan here. After 4 more SBs appearances ( maybe a couple of rings?) with heavy depth laden  overly competent teams. In 2017 Brady retires and so will BB  but he will leave Mr Kraft and the new regime with anywhere between 16 to 20  first round picks to rebuild with.
    Posted by mgraham

I don't see either Tom or BB retiring early. They love what they do too much. Besides winning a SB, BB's #1 mission over the next two years should be to find a replacement for Brady. Though no Pats' fan, especially Babe, likes to think about this, this is the key to the continued success of the franchise, over the next decade.  

Remember, Tom Brady's contract expires in 2014. So, over the next two years, BB and Bob Kraft will be faced with the excruciating decision of whether to trade Tom, or let him go through free agency. The alternative of paying a 37 year old QB big money doesn't make sense. 

Is Hoyer the guy? Is Mallett the man? If BB believes in Hoyer, it behooves him to sign him to a long term deal next season.    

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Re: 2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (Updated April 3, 2012)

If interested, above you'll find my updated mock...dated 4/3/12.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Re: 2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (Updated 4/3/12)

It's been reported that the top CB available in the upcoming draft, Morris Claiborne, scored a four (4) on his Wonderlic test: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/03/claiborne-gives-birth-to-a-four-on-the-wonderlic/
         I mean...kids in kindergarten probably score higher. Will/should this affect his draft status? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Tex- Nice Mock.  I like trading both firsts back into the second round much better in this scenario with Brockers, Barron, etc. long gone.  I love the Chandler Jones pick.  Not quite sold on DT Brandon Thompson, but I wouldn't complain about him in the late second.  I thought it was interseting how you had Floyd going before Blackmon.  Also, I liked that you slid another QB (Kirk Cousins) into the first to Cleveland.  Seems far fetched, but it really could happen.  If Gabert and Ponder can get drafted in the Top 12...

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RS75. Show RS75's posts

TP3, as always, your posts are well-written, informative and insightful.  Thanks for all your contributions.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Here's some draft rumors from DraftInsider.net:

April 4th: 11PM

- We heard today Marvin Lewis is hoping Alabama’s Courtney Upshaw is still available when the Cincinnati Bengals are on the clock with their second pick in round one, the 21st selection.  The other player the team will consider in that slot is Peter Konz of Wisconsin.

- If the Green Bay Packers go offense in round one Konz is the player they are targeting if he’s still on the board.  We’ve heard this rumbling since January and it was confirmed again today.

- What will the Seattle Seahawks do?  Separate sources told me today the team hopes to move out of the 12th slot and trade into the later portion of round one, where they will then draft linebacker Donta Hightower.  If they can’t move the pick they are seriously considering Hightower’s teammate, safety Mark Barron, at that slot and  Kam Chancellor would then move to outside linebacker.

-  Barron’s stock is on the rise as, amongst other things, head coach Nick Saban has given him rave reviews.  He’s being talked about as someone with a passion for football and a prospect who’s skills have been underrated.  We hear if Dontari Poe is gone by the 14th pick of the draft, and he’s likely to be, the Dallas Cowboys are likely to turn to Barron.

- The New York Jets are another team strongly considering Barron if he’s still available with the 16th pick.  A source close to the situation said the pick of Barron is a “no brainer” for the Jets.  One player we heard earlier today the Jets are not interested in selecting is Whitney Mercilus of Illinois.  There is strong speculation amongst league insiders that the Jets will look hard at moving down in round one.

- While most have the New England Patriots selecting a pass rushing linebacker in round one we hear a smaller linebacker who can cover is just as great a need on their draft board.  Could the team take a player such as Bobby Wagner at the end of round one?  Its’ definitely not out of the question: http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=6216

The Pats taking 6'0", 241lb. LB Bobby Wagner with one of their #1 picks...because he's good in coverage?? Though he's an ascending player as the draft draws near, he appears to be best suited to play ILB. Wagner is an interesting player, and is currently projected to be a 2nd round pick. While it's true that the Pats' could use a LB who can cover underneath against opposing TEs, slot receivers, and RBs, his selection in round one by the Pats would be a huge surprise. But, BB has surprised us before. Here's a scouting report on Wagner:  http://www.nfldraftscout.com/members/ratings/profile.php?pyid=102957

That said, I can see Jerry Jones falling in love with DT Dontari Poe. But, taking him at #14?? He appears to be too risky a proposition to go that early. But, again...we're dealing with Jerry Jones. Here's a scouting report on Poe:
    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/members/ratings/profile.php?pyid=84013

It does appear that safety Mark Barron is ascending...and may be a top 15 pick. Here's a scouting report on him:
    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/members/ratings/profile.php?pyid=81868

OLB Courtney Upshaw, should he be passed on by the Jets at #16 and the Chargers at #18, he could slide. Here's a scouting report on him: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/members/ratings/profile.php?pyid=84728

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Your 1st trade might work but the 2nd doesn't.  The Pats get a 1st rounder for next year of nothing.  It would have to be along the lines of what New Orleans did last year.

My feelings are that the Pats will use both picks this year.  Too many defensive players there for them to pass up, all which would help upgrade the defense.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

On Claiborne.  Teams will see if he does have some kinda reading disability.  If not why does it not show up on tape?  Rumor is that the low score will have little affect on his draft status.

The rumor on Poe is that Jerry does love the guy.  This is where I had Poe going all along but after the talk on Poe's workout not in sync with tape I thought that he would drop and the Pats would consider him.  After hearing about Jerry's lovefest with Poe it looks like he's going to be a Cowboy.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Re: 2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (In transition)

Sorry for the late response Tex.  I just don't come here much any more since most here are bashing the club instead of enjoying what they have.  Now that draft talk is going on things look like they have cleared up pretty good.  Hopefully optimism will be high going into the season.

By nothing I meant no trade.  But I have looked at this further and if a team has a couple of high 2nd rounders I can see a bite on it.  I can see them moving down if they feel the teams that would be ahead of them are looking else where.  The Pats are masters at this so when they trade out I don't worry much about it.  Plus it means they aren't impressed with what is there to begin with so why not move the picks to next year where something may happen.

I do have to agree with you on the blue chippers.  Lots of gambles out there to be sure.  With so many options at the end of the 1st round I can easily see the Pats using both picks instead of trading them.  My main reason for thinking they will use those picks are because everything they need is there.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Re: 2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (updated 4/16/12)

If interested, above you'll find my latest mock draft...updated 4/16/12.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Re: 2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (In transition)

In Response to Re: 2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (In transition):
    Sorry for the late response Tex.  I just don't come here much any more since most here are bashing the club instead of enjoying what they have.  Now that draft talk is going on things look like they have cleared up pretty good.  Hopefully optimism will be high going into the season.

RESPONSE: Ditto on the late response, Gary. There has been a ton of negativity here, due to the SB 46 loss. But...it's really just a handful of folks here. It seems like more, because they post their views repeatedly. I really don't feel that bad about the SB 46 loss. I felt that the Pats had a great season...somewhat overachieved (who expected Gronk to go off like he did)...and, in the end, lost of a better balanced Giants' team. It was a disappointing end, to be sure. But, it was nothing like the SB 42 loss. 

By nothing I meant no trade.  But I have looked at this further and if a team has a couple of high 2nd rounders I can see a bite on it.  I can see them moving down if they feel the teams that would be ahead of them are looking else where.  The Pats are masters at this so when they trade out I don't worry much about it.  Plus it means they aren't impressed with what is there to begin with so why not move the picks to next year where something may happen. I do have to agree with you on the blue chippers.  Lots of gambles out there to be sure.  With so many options at the end of the 1st round I can easily see the Pats using both picks instead of trading them.  My main reason for thinking they will use those picks are because everything they need is there.

RESPONSE: After doing several mock drafts, including my updated one above, there's no question in my mind that the value in this draft lies in the second round. While blue chippers are few, there's a ton of good players available over the first 75 or so picks.  
    Posted by garytx

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Re: 2012 NFL MOCK DRAFT (updated 4/16/12)

TP - really like your trading out of the first for second round picks. I agree with the logic. BB is all about sticking to his board, and I don't believe any players available at 27/31 are going to have a 1st round grade in his book, but he will have a lot of players with 2nd/early 3rd round grades. A first rounder is supposed to be a sure thing or have so much upside that what ever questions are worth the risk. I just don't see that with players like Perry/Upshaw/whoever might drop. BB also doesn't like projecting position shifts for first rounders.As of the actual selections - I could quible on all of them - Branch v. Curry v. Irvin v. Jones - Thompson v. Wolfe, etc. I really like Taylor at S, but they might also be tempted by Trumiane Johnson - size of a safety with the cover ability of a corner, or Martin a little later.
    Another player they might look at is Boykin at CB because of his KR chops.
    Not sure they take a OG/C this early with Koppen back - I think they like their depth at this point on offense.
    On the trades - I think they would love to get this 3 second and 2013 1st, but might settle for 2 seconds and a third plus the 2013 1st.

Sections
Shortcuts