2012 Patriots Complacent, Soft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

2012 Patriots Complacent, Soft

Had to take a break a vent. I've never been so disappointed in Tom Brady til I read his whine about how the Pats have spoiled the fans, and how winning in the NFL is hard. Oh...boo-hoo, Tom: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/22/tom-brady-maybe-we-spoiled-people/ 

Is isn't like this team is losing close games to the NY Giants, Packers, or 49ers. They are having a tough time with lightweights, such as the Cardinals, Seahawks, and, yesterday, the Jets. This team is consistently failing to stick the dagger in these weaklings...allowing them to hang around. They were within an inch of blowing out the Ravens in Baltimore.

So...whats' wrong with the Patriots?

1.) OC Josh McDaniels: The Pats can't seem to decide whether to be a smash mouth team, or to go back to the spread offense that has worked so well over the past several seasons. This indecisiveness reflects in the play-calling, and has rendered the offense far less aggressive and dynamic. Tom Brady has, and always has been, best in the shot-gun. The running game should be used as a diversionary tactic to the staple passing attack. Draws and screens are fine. But, shortening the game with the run allows inferior teams to hand around. The Pats, with their firepower, should be blowing teams like the Seahawks and Jets away. There's little chance for 4th quarter heroics when a team is down 3 TDs;

2.) Tom Brady: The guy is hearing footsteps...which is affecting his accuracy. Never Mr. Mobility, Tom isn't very good behind the center. Teams know that when Tom goes behind the center, that it's a running play. He's best in the shotgun. Turn him loose! He's a Hall of Fame QB! Why aren't the Pats putting the game in his hands, rather than in the hands of RB Stevan Ridley and the "D"??

3.) DB Coach Josh Boyer: Can somebody please tell me why this guy still has a job? The secondary is awful for the 2nd straight year. For whatever reason, he's not getting the best out of his guys. Even when a coach is given lemons to work with, his job is to make lemonaide;

4.) Conditioning: The Pats repeatedly are dying in the 4th quarter. Could this be a reason?

5.) This Team Isn't Hungry: Other teams appear to want it more. The 2012 Pats are constantly allowing teams to come from behind and beat them;

6.) Where is BB?: I can't believe BB isn't going off on his guys. They haven't looked like the Patriots all season;

7.) Brandon Lloyd: Time for McDaniels to  go back to the Billy O'Brien (remember him?) offense, and stop worrying about making Lloyd happy. He's a complimentary piece...nothing more;

8.) Pass Rush?: Horrible. Guys like Mark Sanchez and, God help us...Russell Wison, are being made to look like Joe Montana. This team has one guy who can pressure the QB...Chandler Jones. Blitzes, anybody?

9.) DBs: Still a disaster...and still get beaten deep on a regular basis (see Josh Boyer, above);

10.) Lack of Leadership: Spare me about how winning is hard, Tom. After that debacle in Seattle Tom, in which the likes of Richard Sherman did everything but spit in your face...I really expected this team to destroy the Jets. But no...it was the usual, tepid, go through the motions, and let them hang around, performance. Such play hasn't been seen in these parts since 2002. Other than Brandon Spikes, I see no player willing to take the bull by the horns, and get this thing turned around. This team has far to much talent to be playing this way. The only thing that appears to stand in the way of them and another SB appearance is their unwillingness to pay the price to win, and Houston's 6'8" DE, J.J. Watts.

Where have you gone, Rodney Harrison, Tedy Bruschi, and Willie McGinest?       

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Re: 2012 Patriots Complacent, Soft

Maybe what he said was uncharacteristic and might be viewed as a cop out, but it is true.  Games are hard to win especially with the system of creating parity and Pat's fans are probably the most spoiled and fickle in the world.

People lose their minds if they are not blowing out teams, against top D's, despite being the #1 O with one of the worst D's ever.

No, yesterday was not their best effort but they did come back to  tie in the last minute after a horendous fumble and lead loss. 

That's a step in the right direction. They need to build off that.  Hopefully they can.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Good to see you back TP. I agree with what you are saying but hoping they can right this. Only a blind fan can look at this team now and feel good about their chances. Im shocked at how they have underperformed. Your last two points of hunger and leadership stand out. They are a young team and don't have that strong presence in the locker room other than Wilfolk. As much as I love Brady he seems off this year, like he is hearing footsteps. He's thrown several passes to open receivers in the dirt. I don't know if that's something that can be fixed. He's the greatest but also 35 years old.  Josh and the coaching has been a big part of the problem too IMO.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

Maybe what he said was uncharacteristic and might be viewed as a cop out, but it is true.  Games are hard to win especially with the system of creating parity and Pat's fans are probably the most spoiled and fickle in the world.

People lose their minds if they are not blowing out teams, against top D's, despite being the #1 O with one of the worst D's ever.

No, yesterday was not their best effort but they did come back to  tie in the last minute after a horendous fumble and lead loss. 

That's a step in the right direction. They need to build off that.  Hopefully they can.

Funny that the guy who fumbled scored exactly the same amount of points in the first half as Brady and the offense. McCourty and the hated Ghost were the only reason we were in the game.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I'm really banking on the thought that it's just a matter of time before things start looking better, much better.  I feel like the Pats are working on a lot of different things with different players to see what and who is going to work and what isn't for later on in the season and post season.  Josh has been a away a few years, they or still trying to find what is going to work well for this offense. 

As for the D, I want them to play more man instead of zone, too many big, open spaces in their zones.  When they show BB on the sidelines this season he looks more like he really isn't surprised what's going on, his expressions are more like he is just taking it all in instead of over there on the sidelines frustrated and mad, as I have seen him like in previous seasons.  He just seems different this season.  I think he is changing to the don't blow the wad all in the regular season while trying to find what is going to help them succeed in the playoffs and hopefully SB..  Sure they want to win every game still but if we have learned anything over the last several, it's that just because you have a great regular season it doesn't always carry over into the playoffs (most patriots seasons especially 2007, and look at Packers and Saints) and vice versa.  The Giants weren't very good last season or in 2007 until the end of the season and playoffs/SB's. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I'm really banking on the thought that it's just a matter of time before things start looking better, much better.  I feel like the Pats are working on a lot of different things with different players to see what and who is going to work and what isn't for later on in the season and post season.  Josh has been a away a few years, they or still trying to find what is going to work well for this offense. 

As for the D, I want them to play more man instead of zone, too many big, open spaces in their zones.  When they show BB on the sidelines this season he looks more like he really isn't surprised what's going on, his expressions are more like he is just taking it all in instead of over there on the sidelines frustrated and mad, as I have seen him like in previous seasons.  He just seems different this season.  I think he is changing to the don't blow the wad all in the regular season while trying to find what is going to help them succeed in the playoffs and hopefully SB..  Sure they want to win every game still but if we have learned anything over the last several, it's that just because you have a great regular season it doesn't always carry over into the playoffs (most patriots seasons especially 2007, and look at Packers and Saints) and vice versa.  The Giants weren't very good last season or in 2007 until the end of the season and playoffs/SB's. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

You can't use last year's Giants as a reason. They weren't healthy until mid December but everyone had written them off by then.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tomhab. Show Tomhab's posts

In response to Mighty2013's comment:

LOL, TexasTroll after a Pats victory:

Nice Post Mighty this works just as well for Glenr i.e. Rusty as well

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

They don't care?  Maybe you care to much?  It's a football game.  It's entertainment.  The world is full of real problems and your all upset because Tom isn't creast-fallen that they didn't play better......

Maybe you need to get your priorities in order if need to take a "break" and "vent" over a football game.  Oh and by the way, they actually won..... 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to pezz4pats's comment:
    [QUOTE]

RESPONSE: Spare me. Games weren't so hard to win last year...or the year before that. On paper, this team is better than last years' group. The Pats are having trouble with mediocre teams such as the Cards and Jets, at home.  

RESPONSE: Again...spare me. The Pats are having trouble beating mediocre teams, and have failed to put together 4 good quarters of football all season long.

yesterday was not their best effort but they did come back to  tie in the last minute after a horendous fumble and lead loss. 

RESPONSE: Not their best effort?? It's about as well as they've played all season. When are we going to see their "best effort"? Why aren't we seeing their "best effort"? It's time that we all stopped making excuses for this team. Coming off what happened in Seattle...this was an extremely disappointing performance.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to Mighty2013's comment:

LOL, TexasTroll after a Pats victory:

Above is what Tom Brady sounded like, I'm sorry to say.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to sporter81's comment:

Good to see you back TP. I agree with what you are saying but hoping they can right this.

RESPONSE: We're nearly at the mid-point in the season...and this team appears to be playing worse each week. Time for some soul searching, and time for BB to so some serious butt-kicking. 

Only a blind fan can look at this team now and feel good about their chances. Im shocked at how they have underperformed. Your last two points of hunger and leadership stand out. They are a young team and don't have that strong presence in the locker room other than Wilfolk. As much as I love Brady he seems off this year, like he is hearing footsteps. He's thrown several passes to open receivers in the dirt. I don't know if that's something that can be fixed. He's the greatest but also 35 years old.  Josh and the coaching has been a big part of the problem too IMO.

RESPONSE": Amen, brother! It's time to stop making excuses for these guys. They are grossly underachieving.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

RESPONSE: We're nearly at the mid-point of the season, and Josh and the boys are still trying to find their way? Where are all of those Billy O'Brien haters now? Under OB, this offense rocked and rolled. Under Josh, this offense is getting rocked at times, and is inconsistent. They are leaving far too many points on the field. Their red zone offense had been terrible. 

As for the D, I want them to play more man instead of zone, too many big, open spaces in their zones.

RESPONSE: Why not give this a try? What they've been doing obviously isn't working.

When they show BB on the sidelines this season he looks more like he really isn't surprised what's going on, his expressions are more like he is just taking it all in instead of over there on the sidelines frustrated and mad, as I have seen him like in previous seasons.

RESPONSE: He looks like he's at a loss for what to do.

He just seems different this season.  I think he is changing to the don't blow the wad all in the regular season while trying to find what is going to help them succeed in the playoffs and hopefully SB..  Sure they want to win every game still but if we have learned anything over the last several, it's that just because you have a great regular season it doesn't always carry over into the playoffs (most patriots seasons especially 2007, and look at Packers and Saints) and vice versa.  The Giants weren't very good last season or in 2007 until the end of the season and playoffs/SB's. 

RESPONSE: Why fix it if it isn't broken? Prior to this season, the offense wasn't broke. Now, it appears to be. What's happening to the Patriots this season is analogous to what's happened to this forum. Still waiting for things to go back to normal. But, promises made apparently aren't being kept, as cutting costs appears to have taken priority over the quality of what once was a great place to talk football.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I'm just starting to think the Patriots just aren't a very good football team...simple as that. It happens - bad drafts add up, so do poor free agent signings. Sooner or later Brady is not going to be able to carry them and I think you're witnessing that a bit right now. He's playing more like Drew Bledsoe now than Tom Brady and it's hurting a team that is not good enough to overcome that (or much else). I can't tell you how many times I watched Tom lock into one guy yesterday - he did it on two consecutive third downs to Hernandez..once he was bailed out on a pass interference call, the other was an incompletion.

The defense made Sanchez look like Montana yesterday..this a guy that wouldn't be starting on many college teams right now. He had 9 completions of 15 yards or more yesterday..think about that!! It was a career best for him. If he was any good he could of had 9 more. He had all day to throw and never looked confused or frustrated and he had no reason to be, a bling man could of thrown the ball into the holes in that secondary. It was pathetic.

I just don't think we are very good - the good news is no one else is either. Maybe we'll get better? As I watched the Jet's secondary yesterday I really understood just how bad OURS is - they had their guys in position all day..we never did. How does that happen? Coaching? Players? Scheme?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I'm just starting to think the Patriots just aren't a very good football team...simple as that. It happens - bad drafts add up, so do poor free agent signings. Sooner or later Brady is not going to be able to carry them and I think you're witnessing that a bit right now. He's playing more like Drew Bledsoe now than Tom Brady and it's hurting a team that is not good enough to overcome that (or much else). I can't tell you how many times I watched Tom lock into one guy yesterday - he did it on two consecutive third downs to Hernandez..once he was bailed out on a pass interference call, the other was an incompletion.

The defense made Sanchez look like Montana yesterday..this a guy that wouldn't be starting on many college teams right now. He had 9 completions of 15 yards or more yesterday..think about that!! It was a career best for him. If he was any good he could of had 9 more. He had all day to throw and never looked confused or frustrated and he had no reason to be, a bling man could of thrown the ball into the holes in that secondary. It was pathetic.

I just don't think we are very good - the good news is no one else is either. Maybe we'll get better? As I watched the Jet's secondary yesterday I really understood just how bad OURS is - they had their guys in position all day..we never did. How does that happen? Coaching? Players? Scheme?

There's some truth to what you're saying. But, I don't see the effort I've seen in past years. I don't see the same intensity. I don't see this team getting angry after being pushed around and humiliated by the likes of the Seattle Seahawks. Plus...now I'm hearing excuses from Tom Brady. I remember the good old days, when Tom hated to lose, and wouldn't accept losing as an option. But now..."the fans are spoiled, and it's hard to win".  SPARE ME!   

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

There's some truth to what you're saying. But, I don't see the effort I've seen in past years. I don't see the same intensity. I don't see this team getting angry after being pushed around and humiliated by the likes of the Seattle Seahawks. Plus...now I'm hearing excuses from Tom Brady. I remember the good old days, when Tom hated to lose, and wouldn't accept losing as an option. But now..."the fans are spoiled, and it's hard to win".  SPARE ME!   

I'll have to keep an eye out for that - outside of Spikes, I will say that the defense has no one that intimidates anyone. We may have some good players for the future in Jones and maybe Hightower, but there are no intimidators on our defense. What do you think of Tavon Wilson at this point? We were both very critical of the selection. To me he looks like he can turn into an average starter...maybe high quality back up.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

How the mighty have fallen.

Ive learned to deal by lowering my expectations and taking everything positive as gravy. Ive actually felt the same way as Tex for a few years but Ive been getting back on the wagon every year but lets face it fellas. B.B. sold his soul back in 07' NO getting around it and we will put up marvelous stats but will never win it all again....

Chuck Knoll coached for over 10 years after his last SB win....it happens but its just that its dissapointing because it doesnt have to happen. If we fielded a decent defense maybe we have a chance but ive given up on B.B. getting this D together . it seems he is all too happy with us giving up major passing yards every week ....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Moaning

Whining

Irrational expectations...

#1 offense in the NFL and there's a huge problem with the offensive coordinator...

Maybe Tommy is on to something?  Whoever thought this season in the NFL was going to be easy with new coaches and (young) players was fooling themselves.  There's always a learning curve, whether it be new players or coaches. 

Get real, stop your moaning. If the playoffs started today we'd be in because we lead our division.  It's a long season.  Grow a pair, it's embarrassing...

In BB we trust.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Welcome back TPat. Missed your post game grades. I think the offense will be fine, especially with the revamped running attack, but Lloyd has been a big disappointment. We can't be settling for threes with our lousy secondary, so we really have to go for the throat when we've got the lead. Brady may be off a bit but he's the main reason we have been in every game so far this season. Asking him to do even more might be a stretch for someone getting a little long in the tooth.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

The burning question is this: IF they can play lights out (in every game to date except the Cardinals debacle), why has this high powered offense completely ceased and desisted in the 4th Qtr?

No one can answer this, other than to provide halfazzed excuses (the running game, the coaches, the league via penalties, etc). The only thing we all can agree on, at least MOST of us, is that the defense leaves a lot to be questioned. To date that bunch has given up MORE 20+ yard plays this season than in ALL of last season. So much for learning.... they stayed back this year. And to be torched (again) by a 3rd rate QB and a gaggle of :WTHAT" receovers.........

As for Brady..... let's see him call his own plays. If he sees something in the defense, audible out. That eliminates "blaming" the coaches", and puts the responsibilty squarely on him. I'd even audible out of a play called in from the sideline. If it (his audible) works, what are they going to do after they massage their wounded egos? bench him? If it doesn't work, will we be seeing teh real Brady?

Babe said this in another thread: 95 pct and TWO touchdowns....  yet he failed to mention his absolutely stellar 4th qtr performance: 6 of 10 for 50 yds. Kind of "pedestrian" if you ask me... hardly the stuff of HOF QB's.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

Tom Brady: The guy is hearing footsteps...which is affecting his accuracy. Never Mr. Mobility, Tom isn't very good behind the center. Teams know that when Tom goes behind the center, that it's a running play. He's best in the shotgun. Turn him loose! He's a Hall of Fame QB! Why aren't the Pats putting the game in his hands, rather than in the hands of RB Stevan Ridley and the "D"?? according to texas Pat

I know --lets trade Brady to the Ravens for Flacco he's young, big arm --makes great decisions, We know Flacco can take the Patriots to the Super Bowl!!

I know --lets trade Brady to Carolina for CAM NEWTON!!!!! yes he's young got a big arm--yeah he can take the Pats to the SB

or better yet Kraft should fire that stupid Belichick, cause he can't draft, makes bad game decisions and PLEASE take that dam McDaniels with him

and on and on and on!!

They won !!!!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Brady has always said it's hard playing in the NFL.  I've heard him say that for years on WEEI.  Maybe some haven't picked up on that.

This team is mediocre.  Face it.  Two starting OL retired.  That hurts.  Past drafts, especially the Pioli/Belichick era.  Being at the end of every draft hasn't helped either.  I don't know what kind of defense the Pats are running.  I don't get it.  Everything seems to be about containing instead of getting after it. 

We may be at the end of what we all feared would come.  This was one hell of a run.  Nobody else in football can match it.  Nobody.  But I believe it may be coming to an end and we're just seeing the start of it.  It happens.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

How the mighty have fallen.

Ive learned to deal by lowering my expectations and taking everything positive as gravy. Ive actually felt the same way as Tex for a few years but Ive been getting back on the wagon every year but lets face it fellas. B.B. sold his soul back in 07' NO getting around it and we will put up marvelous stats but will never win it all again....

RESPONSE: They came about as close as you can to winning it all last year, without doing it. But, without a healthy Gronk, they were no match for the Giants. Why change the offense so drastically after coming so close to winning it all?

Chuck Knoll coached for over 10 years after his last SB win....it happens but its just that its dissapointing because it doesnt have to happen. If we fielded a decent defense maybe we have a chance but ive given up on B.B. getting this D together . it seems he is all too happy with us giving up major passing yards every week ....

RESPONSE: Brady has seemingly gotten complacent. It's hard to blame him. He's done it all. At 35 and with a family, it's harder to put in the hours he once did when he was 25, and be willing to take a hit to gain 10 yards.

Sections
Shortcuts