***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***:
    [QUOTE]One guy to keep an eye on is Vontaze Burfict Linebacker from Arizona State.  The guy plays with a mean streak and is fast.  He's probably the best linebacker in the country imo.  If he can channel his aggression and play under control this guy would be a pro bowler.  Not sure if BB would go with a guy like him as he does play out of control but the kid would be worth checking out based on ability and size. 
    Posted by PatsNut5480[/QUOTE]

I think he is high on everyone's radar. He has 2 strikes against him..His on the field play which is loose akin to Meri, costing his team yards in 15 chunk increments, and some off the field issues as well. Great athlete, but a gamble unless he walks the straight and narrow. Depending on how he handles himself this year, he could be a top 20 pick, or find jimself sniffing round 3 like Mallett did....a good value pick.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Character is a huge issue with this kid, but I'm still a fan of Janoris Jenkins' skill set and you can never have too many good CB's.  He's a proven SEC corner with shutdown potential, but likely has too man red flags for them to be interested anywhere before Rd 3.

BB has shown a willingess to buy (see: Mallet, Ryan) when the price is right, so they must be discussed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

MB,
     good point on jenkins if he falls. agreed on never too many actaully good cover cb's.

lifer,
     i like your list of positions.
    i was on lester and acquiring a good center.
    focusing on the bigs, o and d, and cover db's is always critical (why i like lester)
    havent been so enamored with some of our dline picks
    how many picks does bb trade out of is teh key question.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Hey MB,

Thanks for starting the thread.

O-

For me this year I think the Oline is pretty set early on. Cannon will come off the PuP and with Vollmer, Solder, and Mankins long term the only position to really draft is depth and C. Since BB never seems to go C early I think I'm not even going to bother looking at OL players this early into the discussion.

Matter a fact looking at the O the only position I can see us going early is WR. I don't think Branch will be long for the team and if Ocho can't figure it out that leaves us with basically Welker to resign, Price, and Edelman. A top end WR could be very useful

On that note I'm looking at:

Jeff Fuller WR Texas A&M
    Chris Owusu WR Stanford
    Damarlo Belcher WR Indiana

Normally I would look at smaller quicker WR's but the Pats seem to realize that they can't go all <6' WR's and might get some size this time around

D-

This is a big area I think they will spend large this upcoming draft. Though, I don't think they will go LB again this year they have a number of older DL and 1 year players they will need to replace. On top of that the DB core still looks soft. Though I do think Bodden will be pushed back to S eventually and Ras will play opposite McCCourty or at the worst in the slot they still need another CB and could use another S. With that in mind here's who I'm looking at this year:

Devin Taylor DE/OLB South Carolina (my personal favorite so far)
    Jake Bequette DE Arkansas
    Melvin Ingram DE South Carolina
    Julian Miller DE/OLB West Virgina
    Adewale Ojomo DE Miami
    Marcus Forston DE/DT Miami
    Baker Steinkuhler DE/DT Nebreska
    Devon Still DE/DT Penn State

Robert Lester FS Alabama (coverage S we've been missing)
    Delano Howell SS/FS Stanford
    Kenny Tate SS/ILB Maryland
    Trumaine Johnson FS Montana

Chase Minnifield CB Virginia (Ras's teammate)
    Alfonzo Dennard CB Nebraska
    Xavier Rhodes CB Florida State
    Janoris Jenkins CB North Alabama (arrests for pot is killing his stock and got kicked out of Florida. If he stayed clean he might have been a top 20 pick. Might be a typical high value pick if he falls to the 3rd that BB loves to pick up)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

We're one dominant center away from having the best O line in the NFL assuming Cannon can play guard...  Although I'm not sure BB will agree with this assesment it doesn't hurt to hope.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Hey MB, Thanks for starting the thread. O- For me this year I think the Oline is pretty set early on. Cannon will come off the PuP and with Vollmer, Solder, and Mankins long term the only position to really draft is depth and C. Since BB never seems to go C early I think I'm not even going to bother looking at OL players this early into the discussion. Matter a fact looking at the O the only position I can see us going early is WR. I don't think Branch will be long for the team and if Ocho can't figure it out that leaves us with basically Welker to resign, Price, and Edelman. A top end WR could be very useful On that note I'm looking at: Jeff Fuller WR Texas A&M Chris Owusu WR Stanford Damarlo Belcher WR Indiana Normally I would look at smaller quicker WR's but the Pats seem to realize that they can't go all <6' WR's and might get some size this time around D- This is a big area I think they will spend large this upcoming draft. Though, I don't think they will go LB again this year they have a number of older DL and 1 year players they will need to replace. On top of that the DB core still looks soft. Though I do think Bodden will be pushed back to S eventually and Ras will play opposite McCCourty or at the worst in the slot they still need another CB and could use another S. With that in mind here's who I'm looking at this year: Devin Taylor DE/OLB South Carolina (my personal favorite so far) Jake Bequette DE Arkansas Melvin Ingram DE South Carolina Julian Miller DE/OLB West Virgina Adewale Ojomo DE Miami Marcus Forston DE/DT Miami Baker Steinkuhler DE/DT Nebreska Devon Still DE/DT Penn State Robert Lester FS Alabama (coverage S we've been missing) Delano Howell SS/FS Stanford Kenny Tate SS/ILB Maryland Trumaine Johnson FS Montana Chase Minnifield CB Virginia (Ras's teammate) Alfonzo Dennard CB Nebraska Xavier Rhodes CB Florida State Janoris Jenkins CB North Alabama (arrests for pot is killing his stock and got kicked out of Florida. If he stayed clean he might have been a top 20 pick. Might be a typical high value pick if he falls to the 3rd that BB loves to pick up)
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

PE,
    Glad to be back at it!

Fair point on the OC position, though I think it's still worth discussing.  I do agree that the largest offensive need at this point does appear to be WR. 

I'll be adding Jeff Fuller, Devin Taylor and Baker Steinkuhler to my original list, thanks.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Ohh C is more then worth discussing but it's also one of those odd positions where a player is either a clear cut 1st round above the rest type of C or he's a gem you find in the later rounds. I think BB leans more towards the gems then the 1st rounds when it comes to C specifically so I tend to watch and wait to hear reports through at least a couple games during the season to see who's starting to stand out.

I do like Jones and Brewster though. I really like lifer's guy Blake. A big physical center, needs work picking up blitzes but can handle bigger NT's with some ease which would be nice.

Yeah Devin Taylor is a very interesting prospect imo. The guy is 6'7" with 4.7 speed. If he could add another 20-30lbs over this year and over next year after the draft he has the potential to be a very disruptive player off the edge. Not just in rushing but also in coverage. Any time I see a kid with his athleticism, size, ability to add weight, and play making ability it gets my ears going. His issue right now is that he's to small as a 43 DE (250lbs) but as a 6'7" 4.7 guy he might not fit as a 34 OLB. He's in the weird size zone which I think could hurt his stock and drop him into the 2nd but imo he can get to the passer and even if he can't with the 6'7" size can clug up throwing lanes fairly easily

Like you I'm pretty high on Jenkins (no pun intended). If not for pot he'd be in the top 3 CB discussion going into this season. If he falls into the 3rd his value would be worth taking the risk. I'm just also thinking Minnifield would be worth a good look. Anytime you can draft former starting teammates who were both considered very good cover cb's coming out of college and put them on the same team you know the chemistry and communication are there so it's one less thing to worry about. We've seen BB drafting multiple D players who have played well with each other and I think one of the reasons is because the chemistry and communication is already formed before they even play a snap.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

A couple big NT's to look at in later rounds are:

Dontari Poe - Memphis  6'5" 350lbs  This guy is massive and powerful. He comsumes blockers like you wouldn't believe. Normally when a guy is this big you hear about weight issues over his career but I haven't seen that type of red flag with Poe. Actually from what I've read he's maintained the weight with little shift either gaining or losing

T.J. Barnes - Georgia Tech 6'7" 330lbs a 6'7" guy that weights that much. Size wise it's to good to be true and given that he was a backup as a soph until late into the season it very well maybe. But his size is worth keeping an eye on him alone. He's expected to be a starter this year so we should be able to get some good looks at him but imagine a QB trying to get any kind of throwing lanes with a 6'7" guy up the middle and his interior OL not being able to clear him out. He doesn't even need to get to the QB being that large he closes a whole passing lane just by putting his arms up

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I like Blake as a C prospect. He needs some work. I don't know how smart this kid is, as the Pats C, or C in general needs to be one of the smarter players on the OL. He is a kid I'm watching, and I think he is a mid-round pick at this point.
    Brewster as some have called out is another. But he would require a high round investment by the Pats, probably a 1st or high 2nd. Do we want to invest a high pick? I think he is clearly the C standout in this draft.

So, my center prospects by round would go something like this...
    1/2 /> Brewster
    3/4 /> Blake
    4/5 /> Watt (G/C convert)

I also want to add depth at Guard. A couple of kids I'm keeping my eye on are by round are;
    3/4 /> Washington (Miami), good run/pass blocker, plays with mean streak, nice size, (6'4", 320).
    4/5 /> Warford (Kentucky), good run/pass blocker, great size (6'3", 340).

I think the Pats need to add some beef, bigger guards/C overall. We made a nice step forward with Cannon to address this, as Cannon is 350+.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]A couple big NT's to look at in later rounds are: Dontari Poe - Memphis  6'5" 350lbs  This guy is massive and powerful. He comsumes blockers like you wouldn't believe. Normally when a guy is this big you hear about weight issues over his career but I haven't seen that type of red flag with Poe. Actually from what I've read he's maintained the weight with little shift either gaining or losing T.J. Barnes - Georgia Tech 6'7" 330lbs a 6'7" guy that weights that much. Size wise it's to good to be true and given that he was a backup as a soph until late into the season it very well maybe. But his size is worth keeping an eye on him alone. He's expected to be a starter this year so we should be able to get some good looks at him but imagine a QB trying to get any kind of throwing lanes with a 6'7" guy up the middle and his interior OL not being able to clear him out. He doesn't even need to get to the QB being that large he closes a whole passing lane just by putting his arms up

If we run less 3 man lines next year, year's forward, we already have Vince and Love as 3-4 NT's. I wonder if BB makes a philosophical shift in general, targeting more 4-3 type players...speedy 4-3 ends, backers, penetrating DL's?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : If we run less 3 man lines next year, year's forward, we already have Vince and Love as 3-4 NT's. I wonder if BB makes a philosophical shift in general, targeting more 4-3 type players...speedy 4-3 ends, backers, penetrating DL's?
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

Yes we are shifting more towards a 43 but BB always plays both 34 and 43 depending on situation and opponent.

Poe is a pure NT and I wouldn't even consider him as a DT but he takes up so many blockers and gobbles up runners. He'd be perfect to back up Wilfork and to have in on running downs as a depth player.

Barnes though is a very interesting prospect. Yes he's a massive guy but he is to me is a G Warren type of player (not in talent but in play style). Barnes I think could play NT, DT, or even 34 DE. He takes on blockers, plays/closes gaps very well, and can penatrate in 1 gap systems. He has a ton of flexibility to play on multiple fronts given his size. He does have questions as many late round players would but he's worth keeping an eye on.

Either way they will most likely be mid to late rounds options so that's the perfect spot to draft depth players along the line. If we were talking early round I'd agree we don't need a NT but I think both could add some serious force to the line

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tg19pats07. Show tg19pats07's posts

Love the draft talk, howeevr I get all excited about one player or another then Bill selects players only he has studied grow frustrated then fall in love with some once the season gets started. This is by far the best post though when it comes to well educated strong opinions. Will read alot but with 3 little ones will not respond as much. Thanks to everyone in advance for spreading the knowledge.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]Love the draft talk, howeevr I get all excited about one player or another then Bill selects players only he has studied grow frustrated then fall in love with some once the season gets started. This is by far the best post though when it comes to well educated strong opinions. Will read alot but with 3 little ones will not respond as much. Thanks to everyone in advance for spreading the knowledge.
    Posted by tg19pats07[/QUOTE]

At least for me MB's draft and doing research on players is a lot of fun. I have favorites and get frustrated when BB doesn't draft them but at the same time I've learned to vent quickly then move on by doing research on the players drafted and discussing them.

All you need to do is not become obsessed about a player. Falling in love is fine but if they aren't drafted vent and enjoy researching info on the new Pats. What kills me is the over the top kool-aid drinkers that kill fans for venting on the forums and the obsessed fans that even weeks after the draft won't let go of their favorite players. IMO there is a 1 day vent period where if your guy wasn't chosen or you don't agree with a pick you have and should vent and forums are perfect for that but when the next day of drafts start time to let go and move on

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cantstopme. Show cantstopme's posts

on my list are two players and two players only...

1. JJ Watt
    2. Matt Roth

i'm currently looking for other big white guys with average talent and a high motor. anyone know any big white DE's or OT's who converted from TE at some point in there high school career? that's a big thing i look for in prospects.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Ohh C is more then worth discussing but it's also one of those odd positions where a player is either a clear cut 1st round above the rest type of C or he's a gem you find in the later rounds. I think BB leans more towards the gems then the 1st rounds when it comes to C specifically so I tend to watch and wait to hear reports through at least a couple games during the season to see who's starting to stand out. I do like Jones and Brewster though. I really like lifer's guy Blake. A big physical center, needs work picking up blitzes but can handle bigger NT's with some ease which would be nice. Yeah Devin Taylor is a very interesting prospect imo. The guy is 6'7" with 4.7 speed. If he could add another 20-30lbs over this year and over next year after the draft he has the potential to be a very disruptive player off the edge. Not just in rushing but also in coverage. Any time I see a kid with his athleticism, size, ability to add weight, and play making ability it gets my ears going. His issue right now is that he's to small as a 43 DE (250lbs) but as a 6'7" 4.7 guy he might not fit as a 34 OLB. He's in the weird size zone which I think could hurt his stock and drop him into the 2nd but imo he can get to the passer and even if he can't with the 6'7" size can clug up throwing lanes fairly easily Like you I'm pretty high on Jenkins (no pun intended). If not for pot he'd be in the top 3 CB discussion going into this season. If he falls into the 3rd his value would be worth taking the risk. I'm just also thinking Minnifield would be worth a good look. Anytime you can draft former starting teammates who were both considered very good cover cb's coming out of college and put them on the same team you know the chemistry and communication are there so it's one less thing to worry about. We've seen BB drafting multiple D players who have played well with each other and I think one of the reasons is because the chemistry and communication is already formed before they even play a snap.

Minnifield also has solid NFL bloodlines as his father Frank was a standout CB for the Browns back in the 80's, early 90's.  He was a 4x pro bowler and was also elected to the 80's All-Decade 2nd Team.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

MB, other than Kuechly is there anyone else on BC worth watching? They're looking pretty weak again this year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

[QUOTE]MB, other than Kuechly is there anyone else on BC worth watching? They're looking pretty weak again this year.
    Posted by CaptainZdeno33[/QUOTE]

montell harris rb, and dominik legrande s, harris is prob a late 2nd round-early 3rd round prospect and legrande prob 5th-7th, mike goodman ol will be drafted as well

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

[QUOTE]Brandon Jenkins is a beast. I watch him every week here in Tallahassee. And I can tell you that he was at least 280 at the Garnet and Gold Spring game and the extra weight wasn't in his gut. He's gonna be a beast this year. Unfortunately, the Pats won't have a high enough draft pick to even smell this guy's jock strap.
    Posted by 4Adam13[/QUOTE]

yup i put him as my favorite target for the pats, he had 13.5 sacks last year and can play with his hand on the ground, a little undersized for the position but i only get to see him play for the most part when they play bc every year, if he put on some weight and kept his speed than i would think he goes top 10, as of now i would say he goes between 18 and 24

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]MB, other than Kuechly is there anyone else on BC worth watching? They're looking pretty weak again this year.
    Posted by CaptainZdeno33[/QUOTE]

CZ,
    Below are a couple of other kids to keep an eye on, both are seniors rated in the Rd 2-3 range at this point.

CB- Donnie Fletcher- 6-1 195

DT- Kaleb Ramsey- 6-3 302

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

MB et al: I really like Kenny Tate of Maryland and Brandon Bolden of OLe Miss on your list.

Some other fine players to watch for are:
    LBs
    Zach Brown North Carolina
    Chris Marve Vanderbuilt
    Jerry Franklin Arkansas

DT

Devon Still Penn State

DE

Andre Branch Clemson

Kentrell Lockett Ole Miss
    Bruce Irwin West Virginia
    OT
    Bobby Massie Ole MIss

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to the question posed on page regarding Luke Kuechly if he has another good season there is no reason for him to stay in college as it will only devalue his worth in the long range projection of his career plus there is the possibility of injury derailing his professional career. so in a word Yes he will be coming out....

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Any guys catch your guys eyes out of the games last night? And Kaleb Ramsey seemed to gotten injured. Something with his left foot.
    Posted by APpats21[/QUOTE]

AP,
    I didn't catch the BC/Northwestern game, but below are a few players that stood out to me this weekend.

Michael Floyd- WR- ND-  Not a burner, but his kid has #1 WR potential at the NFL level.  Solid hands, RAC ability, will go over the middle, solid as a blocker, plays with some attitude, big play potential, experience as the #1 option at a premier program in college.  He went for 12-154-2 against USF.

Kendall Wright- WR- Baylor- Good speed (4.42) and can beat his man vertically, also has good quicks and athleticism with some big play ability, very confident.  He went for 12-189-2 against TCU.

Kellen Moore- QB- Boise State- All this kid does is win football games while completing a high % of his passes (68%+ over 1200+ career passes).  Arm strength is average, but he's a smart kid and moves around well.  His measurables are sub-par (listed at 6-1 190), but I think he's likely to receive comparisons to Drew Brees as we get close to draft day.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : Wasn't BB his Coach in Cleveland?
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

Had him in 1991-92, yes.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

How bout the game Ryan Broyles had?  I hope Nick Cesario was paying attention.

Sections
Shortcuts