***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportslover21. Show sportslover21's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED : Below are the 25 names that interest me the most at this point (assuming all were to declare), I've highlighted a couple of names that haven't been mentioned, but haven't really been discussed: Mark Barron- S- Alabama Harrison Smith- S- ND Kenny Vaccaro- S- Texas Robert Lester- S- Alabama Tyler Eifert- TE-ND Kendall Wright- WR- Baylor Jarius Wright- WR- Arkansas Mohamed Sanu- WR- Rutgers Marquis Maze- WR- Alabama Devon Wylie- WR- Fresno State Kawann Short- DT- Purdue Josh Chapman- DT- Alabama Melvin Ingram- DE/OLB- South Carolina (he's trending upwards) Courtney Upshaw- DE/OLB- Alabama Sam Montgomery- DE/OLB- LSU (RS Soph) Shea McCLellin- DE/OLB- Boise State Devin Taylor- DE/OLB- South Carolina Dont'a Hightower- LB- Alabama Audie Cole- LB- NC State Tank Carder- LB- TCU Ronnell Lewis- LB- Oklahoma Stephon Gilmore- CB- South Carolina Janoris Jenkins- CB- North Alabama (big time character issues). Chase Minnifield- CB- Virginia Leonard Johnson- CB- Iowa State
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

Some good choices.

Not so sure that BB would go after a Redshirt Sophmore in Montgomery as much as I like Montgomery.

Jenkins is a favorite of mine, top 10-15 player talent wise in the draft, and if the value is there in the 2nd. I wouldn't hesitate to grab him.

A lot of the others have been discussed. I need to check out the Fresno WR more then I have. From what I have seen though, he fits the Pats prototype at WR.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

I see alot of posters saying we should grab Alabama S Barron in the first round.  I seriously doubt he lasts into the 20's.  Unfortunatley, it seems like his draft stock is on the rise.  BB might not be willing to trade up into the 12-15 range to select him.

Are there any safeties besides Barron that are any good.  Are Markell Martin or Harrison Smith or anyone else worthy of a first round pick?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportslover21. Show sportslover21's posts

[QUOTE]I see alot of posters saying we should grab Alabama S Barron in the first round.  I seriously doubt he lasts into the 20's.  Unfortunatley, it seems like his draft stock is on the rise.  BB might not be willing to trade up into the 12-15 range to select him. Are there any safeties besides Barron that are any good.  Are Markell Martin or Harrison Smith or anyone else worthy of a first round pick?
    Posted by Army2LT[/QUOTE]

There are really no other 1st round safeties after a few guys elected to stay in school.

Martin, Smith, Robert Lester (Alabama) are a few guys in the 2nd-3rd round range though, who are potential fits.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]I see alot of posters saying we should grab Alabama S Barron in the first round.  I seriously doubt he lasts into the 20's.  Unfortunatley, it seems like his draft stock is on the rise.  BB might not be willing to trade up into the 12-15 range to select him. Are there any safeties besides Barron that are any good.  Are Markell Martin or Harrison Smith or anyone else worthy of a first round pick?

if we go free safety in the draft (which i prefer safety and if cb needed in f.a.)
     i like robert lester. huge ball hawk and best cover safety.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED : if we go free safety in the draft (which i prefer safety and if cb needed in f.a.)  i like robert lester. huge ball hawk and best cover safety.
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

Well Lester is the better ball hawk I contend that Martin is the better coverage S. Martin's averaged 10 PD over the last 3 seasons which is very impressive for any S.

Though Lester plays in a 34 Saban system which is much closer to what we play, Martin might have the better overall coverage ability 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]My early hope is RD1 Upshaw and Barron Rd 2 Sanu and Fleener Rd 3 Best available C
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon[/QUOTE]

that would not be bad at all.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED : Well Lester is the better ball hawk I contend that Martin is the better coverage S. Martin's averaged 10 PD over the last 3 seasons which is very impressive for any S. Though Lester plays in a 34 Saban system which is much closer to what we play, Martin might have the better overall coverage ability 
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

thanks for the input eng.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

look how good eli looks with a couple stud receivers.
    get us at least 1 top outside receiver (if not 2) in fa and or draft

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

IMO, Barron is the only Rd 1 safety at this point, though I think Lester has Rd 1 upside, but likely comes off the board on Day 2.  Harrison Smith is more of a day 3 kid with Rd 2 upside, IMO and is a player that I like a lot.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Antonio Allen, the 6-2 205 S from South Carolina should be added to the discussion as well.  Good size, active kid, always around the football, solid tackler, spends a lot of time down in the box, but projects as a solid zone safety as well.  He also made a fair amout of plays this season, 3 INT's (1 TD), 2 PBU, 4 FF to go along with 81 tackles.  Prob a day 3 kid at this point.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED : IMO, Barron is the only Rd 1 safety at this point, though I think Lester has Rd 1 upside, but likely comes off the board on Day 2.  Harrison Smith is more of a day 3 kid with Rd 2 upside, IMO and is a player that I like a lot.

mb, barron will be long gone likely, but how is he doing re injury this year?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

best scenario for me as ive been saying is needs addressed in fa, grab the studs who will change the game within our reach in the draft.
    obviously whatever we do not accomplish in fa becomes priority in the draft.

need some speed at lb, need to set edge at lb, need penetrating dt, sackmaster de, ballhawk/cover fs, 1 or 2 wr (#1 outside wr and  slot wr), center who can be ctr of future would be nice too, all in fa and draft combined. extra cb a luxury. have listed guys several times in draft thread, wont again here. numerous candidates available, however the lb and dl/de's i like i expect to be mostly gone by our pick.

damn guys, can you imagine, no one offered victor cruz a contract as a fa except the giants and he got no signing bonus. dude stats:
     over 1500 yards and 18 yards per catch average. someone really missed who was covering fa in this year for the pats.he beats double teams regularly (said drooling, after lusting after such an outside wr for cple yrs)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]Antonio Allen, the 6-2 205 S from South Carolina should be added to the discussion as well.  Good size, active kid, always around the football, solid tackler, spends a lot of experience down in the box, but projects as a solid zone safety as well.  He also made a fair amout of plays this season, 3 INT's (1 TD), 2 PBU, 4 FF to go along with 81 tackles.  Prob a day 3 kid at this point.

Hey MB good find on Allen.

Another guy I've been looking at in the FS/SS role is Blake Gideon from Texas. 6'1" 200lbs. The thing that stuck out to me about him was his game against the 2nd best QB in this draft Griffin. Gideon had a monster game against Griffin being one of the few that could keep him in check. On the season he had 4 PD, 1 int, 1 sack but like Allen he's been consistently around the ball and has good instincts reading a QB's eyes. He'll most likely be an earlier 3rd day selection

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

hey gents,

I've been looking at Whiney Mercilus, possible there with the 2nd 1st round pick but he makes me nervous as heck which I think he will do the same to BB and that staff.  He's a 1yr guy who didn't do much the last two season but in 2011 he was a beast.  6'4" 265 sub 4.7 40 DE.

If he's there with the 2nd 1st rnd pick, do you roll the dice?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hoier. Show Hoier's posts

RB?  As people posted we drafted 2 last year.  BB has drafted a bunch of DB over the last few years with modest resullts.  The offense, really doesn't need fixing even if we loose Walker to free agency.  The defense really needs to be addressed this year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]RB?  As people posted we drafted 2 last year.  BB has drafted a bunch of DB over the last few years with modest resullts.  The offense, really doesn't need fixing even if we loose Walker to free agency.  The defense really needs to be addressed this year.
    Posted by Hoier[/QUOTE]

I agree to a certain extend, D needs a ton of work both with FA (including Pats, Anderson, Carter ect) and draft picks but the O needs help and if they don't have Wes Welker a guy who has more catches over the last 4 years than anyone else in the league you need to address it. 

On O, sign Wes, get a third TE and get WR who can go deep.  The OL IMO is set for now although there are some stud OC coming out who would be nice to have specially with someof the problems the OL has which is pressure up the middle.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]hey gents, I've been looking at Whiney Mercilus, possible there with the 2nd 1st round pick but he makes me nervous as heck which I think he will do the same to BB and that staff.  He's a 1yr guy who didn't do much the last two season but in 2011 he was a beast.  6'4" 265 sub 4.7 40 DE. If he's there with the 2nd 1st rnd pick, do you roll the dice?
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

Hey Pats,

Mercilus is an interesting case indeed. Since Upshaw will most likely be gone by the time we pick Mercilus might be there. I've seen him range from 15-early 2nd round for the very reasons you stated. A 1 year product with high upside. Truthfully if I had to put money down on the top 3 OLB/DE's that the Pats have a shot at late in the 1st I would have to say Ingram, Curry, and Mercilus are the best of the bunch. Curry might be the best overall rusher of the group but lacks coverage skill and has trouble setting the edge limiting his ability as a 34 OLB. Ingram might have the best overall package of the 3 but is also heavier and slower which might make him more valuable as a DE then OLB. Mercilus has the best size, speed, rushing ability, and coverage ability to flex between 34 OLB and 43 DE. The only wild card I can see sneaking into the conversation is Jenkins. Like Mercilus has the size, speed, rushing ability, and coverage ability to play both 34 OLB and 43 DE. His tack record is better then Mercilus however, his seasons haven't been as productive as Mercilus.

I'd break it down as:

If I wanted the best overall 43 DE who can play 34 OLB I'd go Ingram

If I wanted the best pass rusher I'd go Curry

If I wanted the most consistent player who could switch from 34 OLB to 43 DE I'd go with Jenkins

If I wanted the highest upside player who can play 34 OLB and 43 DE I'd go Mercilus

For me I have a gut feeling Taylor is going to declare so I'd want him as a pure OLB which makes me want to can a DE primarily who can drop back so I'd go with Ingram

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED : Hey MB good find on Allen. Another guy I've been looking at in the FS/SS role is Blake Gideon from Texas. 6'1" 200lbs. The thing that stuck out to me about him was his game against the 2nd best QB in this draft Griffin. Gideon had a monster game against Griffin being one of the few that could keep him in check. On the season he had 4 PD, 1 int, 1 sack but like Allen he's been consistently around the ball and has good instincts reading a QB's eyes. He'll most likely be an earlier 3rd day selection

Thanks PE.  Gideon is a kid I'm familiar with, look forward to watching more film on him.  Believe he's a pretty experienced kid too, having seen significant PT since his freshman season?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED : Thanks PE.  Gideon is a kid I'm familiar with, look forward to watching more film on him.  Believe he's a pretty experienced kid too, having seen significant PT since his freshman season?

Hey MB, he is a 4 year player and saw plenty of action his freshman year. He started his freshman year and has been the start since. He hasn't missed a single game and is very durable. His real big year was his sophmore year though with 6 ints. He's a very smart and instinctual S that if he adds some weight can play inside the box as well as back in coverage. Good speed too. I believe he's on the lower half of a 4.5's player.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED : Hey Pats, Mercilus is an interesting case indeed. Since Upshaw will most likely be gone by the time we pick Mercilus might be there. I've seen him range from 15-early 2nd round for the very reasons you stated. A 1 year product with high upside. Truthfully if I had to put money down on the top 3 OLB/DE's that the Pats have a shot at late in the 1st I would have to say Ingram, Curry, and Mercilus are the best of the bunch. Curry might be the best overall rusher of the group but lacks coverage skill and has trouble setting the edge limiting his ability as a 34 OLB. Ingram might have the best overall package of the 3 but is also heavier and slower which might make him more valuable as a DE then OLB. Mercilus has the best size, speed, rushing ability, and coverage ability to flex between 34 OLB and 43 DE. The only wild card I can see sneaking into the conversation is Jenkins. Like Mercilus has the size, speed, rushing ability, and coverage ability to play both 34 OLB and 43 DE. His tack record is better then Mercilus however, his seasons haven't been as productive as Mercilus. I'd break it down as: If I wanted the best overall 43 DE who can play 34 OLB I'd go Ingram If I wanted the best pass rusher I'd go Curry If I wanted the most consistent player who could switch from 34 OLB to 43 DE I'd go with Jenkins If I wanted the highest upside player who can play 34 OLB and 43 DE I'd go Mercilus For me I have a gut feeling Taylor is going to declare so I'd want him as a pure OLB which makes me want to can a DE primarily who can drop back so I'd go with Ingram

Agree, very good assessment PE.  Here's where I can't get away from him, a few names I was really high on and all had some questions but they went to other teams don't know if I can take another one getting away, won't even mention Clay Matthews

Spencer
    Connor Barwin
    Dunlap
    Kerrigan (picked 16, NE picked Solder 17) although they got a future LT they could had moved up 1 to pickup Kerrigan
    Jabaal Sheard
    Justin Houston
    Brooks Read (this one hurt as much as Barwin)

Don't want another stud to get added to this list, I think I roll the dice. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Yeah I know MB was high on a lot of those guys as was I.

I actually had the Pats taking Matthews, Barwin, Kerrigan, Sheard, and Reed as some points in my mocks.

Reed, Kerrigan, and Watt were my binkies going into the draft last year and I'm glad to see I was justified. Houston I wasn't high on but that's because I thought he was high to often and lazy. Guess I was wrong about that.

Actually I think I liked Dunlap better the Cunningham too but talked myself into Cunningham over Dunlap because Dunlap was a pure rusher while Cunningham looked like a 3 down player

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Indeed, was really high on Kerrigan, Reed and Sheard (wasn't on this board the year that Barwin came out, but I can assure you that he's a player I wanted in the top 2 rounds).

I wasn't high on Houston or Dunlap, partly due to character, but also partly due to assumed fits as 34 OLB's.  Houston has done well in his rookie season playing off the edge in KC, but Dunlap was/is a 43 DE, which would make him a better fit now, but he's refressed a bit in year two.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsiefan. Show pumpsiefan's posts

The guy I was screaming for a couple of years ago was Sean Lee from Penn State. He has had a monster year with the Cowboys. BB can be such an arrogant guy at times. Everyone was screaming for one of three defenders last draft - Watt, Kerrigan or Aldon Smith. All three have played well. We NEEDED to trade up and get one of those guys. What the hell did Dowling, Vereen or Mallet do for us this year? We couldn't have packaged picks and got the defender we needed?
    PatsEng...you are obviously one of the most knowledgable guys on this thread but as a diehard Longhorn fan I have to say you are way off on Blake Gideon. He misses a ton of tackles and was close to being benched this year. I'd take a late round flyer on another Horn safety, Christian Scott, who has been hurt  allot in his career but has much more physical talent than Gideon.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]The guy I was screaming for a couple of years ago was Sean Lee from Penn State. He has had a monster year with the Cowboys. BB can be such an arrogant guy at times. Everyone was screaming for one of three defenders last draft - Watt, Kerrigan or Aldon Smith. All three have played well. We NEEDED to trade up and get one of those guys. What the hell did Dowling, Vereen or Mallet do for us this year? We couldn't have packaged picks and got the defender we needed? PatsEng...you are obviously one of the most knowledgable guys on this thread but as a diehard Longhorn fan I have to say you are way off on Blake Gideon. He misses a ton of tackles and was close to being benched this year. I'd take a late round flyer on another Horn safety, Christian Scott, who has been hurt  allot in his career but has much more physical talent than Gideon.
    Posted by pumpsiefan[/QUOTE]

That's why he'd be a day 3 guy pump. Sometimes I forget that not everyone gets into the draft as Brd, MB, or any of the other guys do and use general terms like day 3 guys as a way to set the bar. Usually day 3 guys are considered projects. They have potential but there is a reason why they are considered day 3 guys to begin with. Me saying that he's a day 3 guy was meant to imply that he has a number of weakness but when I talk about his abilities and potential I do so in comparisons of other day 3 guys and some late day 2 guys. Trust me Gideon is no where near a Lester, Barron, or Martin but if you can grab him in the 5th or 6th he's an interesting project with a Sanders (James) type of ceiling.

Sorry about the confusion. I'll try to not assume so much in the future and also discuss his faults instead of tossing out generic terming bars like day 3 prospect

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V1 ADDED : I agree to a certain extend, D needs a ton of work both with FA (including Pats, Anderson, Carter ect) and draft picks but the O needs help and if they don't have Wes Welker a guy who has more catches over the last 4 years than anyone else in the league you need to address it.  On O, sign Wes, get a third TE and get WR who can go deep.  The OL IMO is set for now although there are some stud OC coming out who would be nice to have specially with someof the problems the OL has which is pressure up the middle.
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

id only sign wes for a downhome bargain, otherwise tag for a year and wish him well. age, hits, etc. get a new outside guy and slot guy in fa and draft. (if wes were megatron its another matter).