***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : boya!!! now that's a championship piece lol. I know it's the first day of FA but I still have to ask again. The Pats have had 2-3 weeks prior to FA to resign their own guys. Why do they always wait until FA starts to sign these types of deals? These are the small fry deals that normally don't affect the cap so why didn't they get a deal like this done weeks ago?
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

Word is he signed over the weekend but they only just announced it today.

If true or not I do not know however it does take both sides. Doesn't always mean the Pats aren't working and that the other side is not being difficult.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : boya!!! now that's a championship piece lol. I know it's the first day of FA but I still have to ask again. The Pats have had 2-3 weeks prior to FA to resign their own guys. Why do they always wait until FA starts to sign these types of deals? These are the small fry deals that normally don't affect the cap so why didn't they get a deal like this done weeks ago?

HAha someone just comment on ESPN that the Niko signing was like looking at a plate of chicken Wings and someone handing you a carrot stick lol

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]Some opinion among scouts are that there are only 4 or 5 blue chip players in this draft. Deep at some positions but thin at the top.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]

I'd agree with that. 

DL - no clear cut top 10 player, maybe only 2 clear cut top 20
    LB - no clear top 10 player only 1 clear top 20
    CB - Only 1 top 10 player maybe 2 more top 20?
    S - only 1 player as a 1st rounder
    TE - no clear 1st rounder
    WR - only 1 clear top 10 player, maybe 2 more in the top 20?
    T - This position has at least 3 top 15 so good upfront talent
    G - 1 player in the top 15 maybe 1 more in the top 20?
    C - only 1 player as a 1st rounder
    RB - only  player as a 1st rounder
    QB - 2 top 3 players and maybe a 3rd in the top 15

so all in all the top of the draft is weak. The value in this draft is from pick #20-80ish

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I'd agree with that.  DL - no clear cut top 10 player, maybe only 2 clear cut top 20 LB - no clear top 10 player only 1 clear top 20 CB - Only 1 top 10 player maybe 2 more top 20? S - only 1 player as a 1st rounder TE - no clear 1st rounder WR - only 1 clear top 10 player, maybe 2 more in the top 20? T - This position has at least 3 top 15 so good upfront talent G - 1 player in the top 15 maybe 1 more in the top 20? C - only 1 player as a 1st rounder RB - only  player as a 1st rounder QB - 2 top 3 players and maybe a 3rd in the top 15 so all in all the top of the draft is weak. The value in this draft is from pick #20-80ish

unfortunately, teams still have to pick in the top 20, leaving players the pats may have to reach for at 27 and 31. i really hope other teams think this is a great class so the pats can trade either of the R1s. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

If Pats stay at #27

Players I do NOT believe will be on the board

Luck
    RGIII
    Tannerhill
    Richardson
    Coples
    Brockers
    Poe
    Cox
    Kalil
    Reiff
    Blackmon
    Floyd
    Claiborne
    DeCastro
    Kirkpatrick
    Keuckly
    Barron
    Ingram
    Glenn
    Perry
    Upshaw
    Martin
    Adams
    Hightower
    Still
    Wright
    ---------------------

Guys maybe in range of 27 - 31

Mercilus
    Konz
    Gilmore
    Zietler
    Worthy
    Hill
    Randle
    Jenkins
    Branch
    Curry

Thoughts??

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Wayne re-signed with Colts

Finny signed with Rans for $10mil/yr

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

[QUOTE]If Pats stay at #27 Players I do NOT believe will be on the board Luck RGIII Tannerhill Richardson Coples Brockers Poe Cox Kalil Reiff Blackmon Floyd Claiborne DeCastro Kirkpatrick Keuckly Barron Ingram Glenn Perry Upshaw Martin Adams Hightower Still Wright --------------------- Guys maybe in range of 27 - 31 Mercilus Konz Gilmore Zietler Worthy Hill Randle Jenkins Branch Curry Thoughts??

Mercilus 27

31 Hill or Randle ( is LSU w/ no Saban still a Pats farm?)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : HAha someone just comment on ESPN that the Niko signing was like looking at a plate of chicken Wings and someone handing you a carrot stick lol

ROFL it is true in a manner. However, most of the FA's I was looking at are still available. I'm just hoping they are still available because the Pats are talking to them instead of just tossing a contract infront of them. This weekend will be more telling on whether the Pats will be aggressive or passive this FA season

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Carlos Rogers looks like he might be staying in San Fran

Lowery re-signed with the Jaguars

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : ROFL it is true in a manner. However, most of the FA's I was looking at are still available. I'm just hoping they are still available because the Pats are talking to them instead of just tossing a contract infront of them. This weekend will be more telling on whether the Pats will be aggressive or passive this FA season

Langford, Marshall, and Llyod?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Langford, Marshall, and Llyod?

Among others. I'm crossing my fingers.

I'm also hoping they are looking at Kevin Boss too as a #2 TE and moving Hern to a full time H-back role

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Among others. I'm crossing my fingers. I'm also hoping they are looking at Kevin Boss too as a #2 TE and moving Hern to a full time H-back role

Marshall visiting the dolphins.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Langford, Marshall, and Llyod?

if they were going to do that, i would have thought theyd open free agency by signing the lloyd and marshall. i too would love to have boss. if we wait for the dregs of whats left, i dont know what will be available.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

marshal is a low cost 1 yr sign, and lloyd hasd been saying he'll take less to eb a patriot top everyone who will listen. boss is a no brainier. langord a possibility.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

i think we need to make sure to get stil, brockers or cox with our top pick even if we move up.

31 branch or mercilus

round 2 get teh big receiver
    3 0r 4 slot.
    versatile o line one of the other picks.
    best p. a. the other.

still i woulbnt be disapointed with konz at 31 and curry instead of branch later.

wouldnt go into draft without filling cb and fs in fa

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Now that Bryant is off the market I think it is critical we get a DT in the draft. I like Langford if they get him but he's a piece not someone you build around on the line. I think they were targeting Bryant honestly and were caught sleeping. If feels like BB forgot this year FA started at 4pm. I can see the picture it now. BB driving back from the offices at 4. Turns on 98.5 to laugh at Felger and then he here's all these signs. Slams on brakes says "Oh shlt, it started already"

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

Please.......pats have enough slow fat guys .....i know its important to stop the run in a passing league.....Need players with speed and pass rush capability and a safety or two......and for anyone that wants branch back or to use slater as a deep threat....WHY???   branch is older and slower....slater cant catch a cold... Lets get real and get less predictable to other teams....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from speedster81. Show speedster81's posts

[QUOTE]Now that Bryant is off the market I think it is critical we get a DT in the draft. I like Langford if they get him but he's a piece not someone you build around on the line. I think they were targeting Bryant honestly and were caught sleeping. If feels like BB forgot this year FA started at 4pm. I can see the picture it now. BB driving back from the offices at 4. Turns on 98.5 to laugh at Felger and then he here's all these signs. Slams on brakes says "Oh shlt, it started already"

I too was hopeful about Bryant but was skeptical about our chances of getting him. Prior to the onset of Free Agency, he had done interviews stating he would take a discount to stay in Seattle as he has strong Family ties to the city and his Father in Law is in the Seahawks ring of honor. Ultimately, I think he just used the Pats interest to get Seattle to up the previous offer they had given him prior to Free Agency.

Adam Carriker is the other guy that I was hoping the Redskins would let walk. However, when it became clear that they wanted him back I knew that Coach wouldnt go after him since he has a good relationship with Shanahan. Parcells said the same thing when in Dallas and he was questioned why he didnt go after Vinatieri when his team needed a Kicker. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I really thought meachem was a guy there were going to make a run at.  This guy is a baller and in Pats O he would had been what they hopped Chad would be.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from speedster81. Show speedster81's posts

[QUOTE]Please.......pats have enough slow fat guys .....i know its important to stop the run in a passing league.....Need players with speed and pass rush capability and a safety or two......and for anyone that wants branch back or to use slater as a deep threat....WHY???   branch is older and slower....slater cant catch a cold... Lets get real and get less predictable to other teams....
    Posted by fishers5[/QUOTE]

Who out there fits that description that you would be ok overpaying for. Generally, the guys who sign on the first day end up getting more than what they are worth. Like most, I would like Mario Williams but with Buffalo willing to make him the highest paid defensive player in League history, I think that takes us out of the running. I mean, if they are willing to pay him up to 18 m/yr, there is no way he comes to New England for 12/yr which is probably the most we could pay.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from speedster81. Show speedster81's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : if they were going to do that, i would have thought theyd open free agency by signing the lloyd and marshall. i too would love to have boss. if we wait for the dregs of whats left, i dont know what will be available.
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

On the other hand if you go hard on the first day you could end up grossly overpaying. Have you seen some of the contracts handed out on day 1? Red Bryant's is one of the few that seemed to make sense. Even his at 7m/yr might be considered a bit high for a guy who has only played a full 16 games once in his career. His other seasons he has averaged less than 50% of games played if I am not mistaken due to injury.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from speedster81. Show speedster81's posts

[QUOTE]If Pats stay at #27 Players I do NOT believe will be on the board Luck RGIII Tannerhill Richardson Coples Brockers Poe Cox Kalil Reiff Blackmon Floyd Claiborne DeCastro Kirkpatrick Keuckly Barron Ingram Glenn Perry Upshaw Martin Adams Hightower Still Wright --------------------- Guys maybe in range of 27 - 31 Mercilus Konz Gilmore Zietler Worthy Hill Randle Jenkins Branch Curry Thoughts??

If it shook out that way, I would go with Konz at 27, Jenkins at 31. Move McCourt y to Free Safety, Trade down with 48 and grab either of these Guards Kevin Zeitler, Kelechi Osemele, Amini Silatolu or Brandon Brooks. With 63, I would take Shea Mclellin. That offensive line coupled with a back like Michael Bush would give us a dynamic to our O that we havent had in a long time.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Who out there fits that description that you would be ok overpaying for. Generally, the guys who sign on the first day end up getting more than what they are worth. Like most, I would like Mario Williams but with Buffalo willing to make him the highest paid defensive player in League history, I think that takes us out of the running. I mean, if they are willing to pay him up to 18 m/yr, there is no way he comes to New England for 12/yr which is probably the most we could pay.
    Posted by speedster81[/QUOTE]
    That was my point...although not well expressed....there are only the BIG buys available...so BB must (if he wants to improve the defense) search for those players in the draft... a bigger receiver ( or 2) and speed rusher (or 2) MUST BE ADDRESSED or the team will struggle again getting off the field.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from speedster81. Show speedster81's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : That was my point...although not well expressed....there are only the BIG buys available...so BB must (if he wants to improve the defense) search for those players in the draft... a bigger receiver ( or 2) and speed rusher (or 2) MUST BE ADDRESSED or the team will struggle again getting off the field.

There are still some good values out there. Guys like DE Luis Castillo, TE Kevin Boss, LB Wesley Woodyard, CB/FS Richard Marshall, S Laron Landry, S OJ Atogwe, S Reggie Nelson, S OJ Atogwe, S Dwight Lowery, G Steve Hutchinson, WR Brandon Lloyd, TE Daniel Fells etc. There are still a lot of guys out there that would greatly improve the quality of our roster. Im still hoping for a DE or 2, a WR, Dwight Lowery, another S, a great blocking Tight End who can also catch like Kevin Boss or Daniel Fells.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : That was my point...although not well expressed....there are only the BIG buys available...so BB must (if he wants to improve the defense) search for those players in the draft... a bigger receiver ( or 2) and speed rusher (or 2) MUST BE ADDRESSED or the team will struggle again getting off the field.

You can't count on drafted players off the bat. Even the best coach will struggle to get 50% of his picks to provide any type of production in the first 2 days of the draft. We currently have more holes then draft picks so unless they hit on every single pick, which is unlikely, you can't count on the draft picks addressing a large chunk of the issues. You need to supplement the draft with FA to affectively address issues. This past year BB was able to do that with guys like Waters, Carter, and Anderson but we've seen that these bargain basement players tend to flop more often then hit so you can't count on them finding another lot like they did last year. You don't do it often but every so often teams do need to spend in FA to get players who came make an impact. Bulk buying doesn't always work and with Brady's usable years ticking down might not be the best approach moving forward

Sections
Shortcuts