***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!

This thread is approaching the yearly turn into EPSN thread for a short time. Holy moly barron, cox, hightower, brockers, etc etc.... pick #27, #31, etc... I believe we all complain about ESPN just talking abou tthe same guys over and over and over who are 1st rounders.

Tim Fugger DE - Vandy's top pass rusher, 13.5 tackles for loss and 8 sacks last season in the SEC. 

6-3 1/2, 248-pounds 4.55 40,  29 reps, 6.97 in the three-cone, and 4.10 in the short shuttle. 

He looked effective in both linebacker and DE drills. He was fast in pass rush drills, but also looked fluid and smooth dropping off the line in pass coverage drills. He displayed little stiffness in his game.

Showed versatility to line up in a three-point stance or stand up over tackle.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from I sat on your toilet. Show I sat on your toilet's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : How mad would you be if BB traded away both 1st rounders?  There's about a 50% chance that he trades 1 for future picks, 25% chance he trades up with one, and a 25% chance he stays put with both.
    Posted by Army2LT[/QUOTE]

It wouldn't suprise me to see BB trade #31 and move back a few spots into the second round. Which isn't a bad idea to do right before thursday night is over because those early picks on day two and three start heating up and become more valuable overnight.

Just imagine if there is a player that the colts or rams or browns want for example and they trade their 2nd rd to NE for #31. Then thursday night ends and some other team is desperate for some guy that slipped into the 2nd and would give up alot for the pick. Typical BB move.

I'm hoping BB still drafst 4 in the first 64 and 3 in the first 48 and atleast 3 of them are on the D side of the ball. Or if he wants to package them to move down in the 1st-no problem there. So forget everything I said, I guess.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : But the idea is to try and lock them with a long term, more cap friendly deal while they have no leverage... not saying it will happen, but it certainly makes sense to me.  I do think it applies more to Gronk than Hern as he's certain to command huge dollars if he can maintain his to date production.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]
    Tight Ends are typically among the lowest paid position players but Gronk, especially, is on a different planet.  But still, he could be tagged for less than he's worth in 2014.  Also, rumor has it that the cap will explode in 2014 once the new Mega TV deal kicks in with the revenue sharing. 

I'm not at all against extending these guys now as they both are out-paying their rookie deals.  We saw the Pats do it with Mayo, but they don't usually take this approach, paying more and eating cap until they have to.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Tight Ends are typically among the lowest paid position players but Gronk, especially, is on a different planet.  But still, he could be tagged for less than he's worth in 2014.  Also, rumor has it that the cap will explode in 2014 once the new Mega TV deal kicks in with the revenue sharing.  I'm not at all against extending these guys now as they both are out-paying their rookie deals.  We saw the Pats do it with Mayo, but they don't usually take this approach, paying more and eating cap until they have to.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

Kraft recently commented that the cap wind-fall of 2006 (approx. 19% increase) may not occur in 2014 and he cautioned that over-spending in anticipation of a big "pay-day" may be premature.  He didn't go into detail but it did sound like there might be other league uses for the surplus.  He seemed to suggest that an increase in the cap could be much less than people might expect.

I do not remember the source for Kraft's comments but perhaps someone else on the board has a better memory or read this recently.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

Does anyone feel like the Pats will draft a O-lineman in the first 2 rounds?  I have a hard time predicting what they might do there.  We have pretty good depth in all areas, and BB seems to do well drafting in later rounds at that position.  BB may be better at drafting at OL in the latter rounds than at any other position.

If this is the case, then BB may be drafting only D in the first 3 rounds.  If not OL, what is our biggest area of concern on offense?  There really is none.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]Does anyone feel like the Pats will draft a O-lineman in the first 2 rounds?  I have a hard time predicting what they might do there.  We have pretty good depth in all areas, and BB seems to do well drafting in later rounds at that position.  BB may be better at drafting at OL in the latter rounds than at any other position. If this is the case, then BB may be drafting only D in the first 3 rounds.  If not OL, what is our biggest area of concern on offense?  There really is none.
    I honestly think BB will take the highest rated player on his board who is there.  He filled the roster with a lot of depth already.  But other than Lloyd, none of the free agent signings project as immediate starters except perhaps Fanene.  If we look at the current roster I don't see an obvious place for a rookie to start either, except perhaps at FS if we got Barron.  However, I can see us taking an OL, RB and WR and they could contribute. 

The key to us drafting an OL is what happens with Matt Light and Brian Waters.  If one or both retire, then I think drafting a tackle or OG makes a ton of sense.  I think if Cordy Glenn is available at 27, we'd have to take a hard look at him because he can play anywhere except center and BB is sure to love that about him.

But, I generally agree this should be defensive heavy draft but a lot of people thought last year would be, and it wasn't.  I actually thought last year we would go heavy on the offense based on the age and contract situation of some key players and that turned out to be correct.  But this year I feel like there is solid talent at DL and OLB conversion types.  I would expect and hope we spend two early picks there.  Unless we get Barron, we still don't have an obvious starter at FS (unless we move McCourty).  If we move McCourty then I could also see us add a CB. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

A versitile OL like Glenn would make sense, and I agree that it all hinges on the retirement plans of Light and Waters.  So what does our lne look like now.

RT  Vollmer
    RG Cannon
    C  Connolly
    LG Mankins
    LT Solder

Who would you replace first?  If you aren't looking to replace, than why would you draft someone in the early rounds?  I think they will look for depth instead in the later rounds.  Thoughts?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

[QUOTE]Does anyone feel like the Pats will draft a O-lineman in the first 2 rounds?  I have a hard time predicting what they might do there.  We have pretty good depth in all areas, and BB seems to do well drafting in later rounds at that position.  BB may be better at drafting at OL in the latter rounds than at any other position. If this is the case, then BB may be drafting only D in the first 3 rounds.  If not OL, what is our biggest area of concern on offense?  There really is none.

It may not be as simple as you suggest.  There are two motivating factors in draft selection.  One is the desire to draft for NEED, the other is to draft the BPA.  When quality exists at the NEED position the choice may be simple. Conversely do we select  a "need" player based on POTENTIAL rather than demonstrated performance?  The "potential" aspect may be predicated on the basis of superior MEASURABLES or the probability that a player has the flexibility for a positional change. Accordingly the pick has various levels of RISK attached to the NEED selection.

What happens when the BPA is a "blue-chip" prospect (as in an OL) whose ceiling may be ALL PRO?..... as opposed to a "need" player whose ceiling is projected to be an eventual STARTER? Further, if the "blue-chip" player already duplicates a positional player but represents a significant upgrade?

Which player is a situational player, a 2-down player, a 3-down player, a 4 down player?  When will the player selected be ready to play significant minutes?  Is either player a potential "game-changer"?

Based upon how BB approached FA, IMO it appears that his primary objective was to secure solid "Back-up" talent rather than "blue-chip" players.  It would appear that he will be relying on the draft to ferret-out potential gems, especially at NEED positions.  However, can he overlook significant BPA upgrades at positions already staffed?   Would You?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Tight Ends are typically among the lowest paid position players but Gronk, especially, is on a different planet.  But still, he could be tagged for less than he's worth in 2014.  Also, rumor has it that the cap will explode in 2014 once the new Mega TV deal kicks in with the revenue sharing.  I'm not at all against extending these guys now as they both are out-paying their rookie deals.  We saw the Pats do it with Mayo, but they don't usually take this approach, paying more and eating cap until they have to.

dont know if you heard faucet.
    bob kraft has said i would not expect huge leaps in the ca; and, "if any other team is, i hope they are in our division."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]A versitile OL like Glenn would make sense, and I agree that it all hinges on the retirement plans of Light and Waters.  So what does our lne look like now. RT  Vollmer RG Cannon C  Connolly LG Mankins LT Solder Who would you replace first?  If you aren't looking to replace, than why would you draft someone in the early rounds?  I think they will look for depth instead in the later rounds.  Thoughts?

i dont see cordy glenn making ti to 27 in mocks that i can remember. anybody else see much of that?

i still say janoris jenkins at 27 is the way id start our draft, shut down corner, we can get a good dt at 31 or in the second round, same with olb. if barron makes it to 31 (highly unlikely, i would say probably not even 27), that is a wild card (at 31).

big wr at 63
    center and slot to finish the draft
    devn m moves to safety where his skills fit better.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]A versitile OL like Glenn would make sense, and I agree that it all hinges on the retirement plans of Light and Waters.  So what does our lne look like now. RT  Vollmer RG Cannon C  Connolly LG Mankins LT Solder Who would you replace first?  If you aren't looking to replace, than why would you draft someone in the early rounds?  I think they will look for depth instead in the later rounds.  Thoughts?
    First I think it likely that Mankins may start the season on the PUP while recovering from ACL surgery.  This is why we brought in Robert Gallery.  If Light retires, then yes, Solder at LT, Gallery at LG, Connolly at Center and Vollmer at RT.  If Water also retires, I think Cannon will be tried at RG but I think BB may want to keep him as a back-up RT and use him as part of a 3 OT power set like he did last year. 

I think Cordy Glenn will be gone by 27 so maybe Kevin Zeitler would be a nice pick up if we are trading down from 31 to perhaps a team like Miami or Seattlethat may want to come up and get a QB day 1 (Weeden or Cousins).  Wendell may be given a chance at RG too. 

I think the OL is a position where we need to draft a solid player.  We don't want to mess around with Brady's protection.  Gallery hasn't been very consistent and one injury to any of the starters and we are suddenly in big trouble. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : dont know if you heard faucet. bob kraft has said i would not expect huge leaps in the ca; and, "if any other team is, i hope they are in our division."
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, I read that in today's Globe.  It's fine, still doesn't change my view that we didn't restructure Brady to extend the TEs two years early.  I think it was done for Welker.  But, we shall see.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : First I think it likely that Mankins may start the season on the PUP while recovering from ACL surgery.  This is why we brought in Robert Gallery.  If Light retires, then yes, Solder at LT, Gallery at LG, Connolly at Center and Vollmer at RT.  If Water also retires, I think Cannon will be tried at RG but I think BB may want to keep him as a back-up RT and use him as part of a 3 OT power set like he did last year.  I think Cordy Glenn will be gone by 27 so maybe Kevin Zeitler would be a nice pick up if we are trading down from 31 to perhaps a team like Miami or Seattlethat may want to come up and get a QB day 1 (Weeden or Cousins).  Wendell may be given a chance at RG too.  I think the OL is a position where we need to draft a solid player.  We don't want to mess around with Brady's protection.  Gallery hasn't been very consistent and one injury to any of the starters and we are suddenly in big trouble. 

I agree that Brady should have the best linemen possible.  And there seems to be alot of OLine talent this year.  But which should we go with?  Guard, Tackle, or Center?  Who are the players known to be more versitile?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Guys,

I'm having a hard time thinking we'll draft a WR at all now.  Technically we have 9 on the roster.  Even if we cut Underwood, Ocho and one of Stallworth or Gonzales we'd be at 6, the max number we'll carry on the 53.  If we were to draft a WR in the top 4 rounds we'd have to cut Ocho, Gonzales and Stallworth and put Underwood back on the practice squad.  This doesn't seem likely to me.

Welker
    Lloyd
    Branch
    Edelman
    Stallworth
    Gonzales
    Ochocinco
    Slater
    Underwood

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I agree that Brady should have the best linemen possible.  And there seems to be alot of OLine talent this year.  But which should we go with?  Guard, Tackle, or Center?  Who are the players known to be more versitile?
    Glenn can play all but center.

Zeitler can play the 3 interior positions.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

We might only draft 5 players in the first 4 rounds.  Even if we assume Light retires and Mankins starts out on the PUP we'd have 48 players projected to make the 53 leaving room for 5.  I left a space in yellow where I think we could draft a player.  To even get down to this, I have the following being cut or traded.

27 D Thomas '12
    30 L Polite '12
    26 Hoyer '12
    34 Ochocinco
    27 J Barrett '12
    22 M Williams
    31 Koutouvides

OFFENSE 24 Players
    Slot31 W Welker '1226 Edelman '12Gonzales '12
    WR31 B. Lloyd '1427 M Slater '14 
    LOT33 M Light '1223 N Solder '15 
    LG31 R Gallery '1231 Mankins '16 PUP 
    C30 D. Connolly '1426 Wendell '13 
    ROG35 B. Waters '12  
    RT27 Vollmer '1224 M. Cannon '14 
    TE23 Gronkowski '1322 Hernandez '1328 D Fells '14
    QB35 Tom Brady '1424 Mallett '14 
    RB23 S. Veeren '1426 Woodhead '12 
    23 S. Ridley '14S Larson '13 

WR33 Branch '1231 Stallworth '12 

DEFENSE 22 Players
    DE 30 J Fanene '1426 Pryor '13 
    NT30 Wilfork '1425 R. Brace '12 
    DE25 Deaderick '1326 Love '12 
    OLB/DE28 T Scott '1224 Cunningham '13 
    ILB26 Mayo '1625 Fletcher '12 24 J Tarpinian
    ILB25 B Spikes '1331 T White '14 
    OLB29 Ninkovich '13  
    LCB23 Dowling '1423 S Moore '12 
    RCB26 McCourty '1426 Arrington '1234 W Allen '12
    SS25 Chung '12  
    FS 29 S. Gregory '1424 S Brown '13

SPECIAL TEAMS 3
    PK28 Gostkowski '14  
    P25 Z. Mesko '13  
    LS24 D Aiken  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : i dont see cordy glenn making ti to 27 in mocks that i can remember. anybody else see much of that? i still say janoris jenkins at 27 is the way id start our draft, shut down corner, we can get a good dt at 31 or in the second round, same with olb. if barron makes it to 31 (highly unlikely, i would say probably not even 27), that is a wild card (at 31). big wr at 63 center and slot to finish the draft devn m moves to safety where his skills fit better.
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]
    I don't think there is any way we draft Jenkins.  Too many flags.  Barron won't likely make it to 27 if he has a good Pro Day which I think is coming up this week at Alabama's 2nd Pro Day.  If he does, then Barron should be our choice.

So unless the plan is to move McCourty to FS, I don't think we have room on the roster for another CB unless someone of the below is cut or gets tucked away on the PUP list.

Dowling
    Moore
    McCourty
    Arrington
    Allen

We are at budget for CBs now.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Just based on the analysis of our projected depth chart, I think the positions we will draft in no particular order are:

Interior OL
    RB
    DL
    OLB
    S

I really hope we trade our 4th into next year for a 3rd and use our top 5 picks to address the above. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Yeah, I read that in today's Globe.  It's fine, still doesn't change my view that we didn't restructure Brady to extend the TEs two years early.  I think it was done for Welker.  But, we shall see.

I have no idea what or whom they did it for and would not be surprised it it was for no single person exclusively or even immediately.

Here is another article on the cap top however.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from I sat on your toilet. Show I sat on your toilet's posts

[QUOTE]Guys, I'm having a hard time thinking we'll draft a WR at all now.  Technically we have 9 on the roster.  Even if we cut Underwood, Ocho and one of Stallworth or Gonzales we'd be at 6, the max number we'll carry on the 53.  If we were to draft a WR in the top 4 rounds we'd have to cut Ocho, Gonzales and Stallworth and put Underwood back on the practice squad.  This doesn't seem likely to me. Welker Lloyd Branch Edelman Stallworth Gonzales Ochocinco Slater Underwood

I wouldn't be suprised if we drafted one in the 2nd or 3rd if the right guy is there. Welker, Lloyd, Edelman and Slater are my locks and I have Branch, Ochocinco, Stallworth, Underwood and Gonzalez all fighting for two remaining spots if we don't draft one.

I think BB always had alot of respect for Gonzalez. I often wonder if he's doing this as a favor for Gonz by signing him up, letting him play in preseason and letting the rest of the league know he's still out there (think Patrick Pass). There is a good chance Gonzalez would never have signed with anyone else and his career would have been over due to the injuries and he'd become a forgotten man. So you could say BB is "Quentin Tarantino-ing" him and the guy might catch on elsewhere. Unless they actually are thinking of trading Welker. I still think he gets a shot to make the roster anyway.

There is a good chance they only keep 5 wr as well since Hernandez and Gronk are heavily involved in the passing game.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! :  ... There is a good chance they only keep 5 wr as well since Hernandez and Gronk are heavily involved in the passing game.
    Posted by I sat on your toilet[/QUOTE]

i can buy that...

welker, edelman
    one of lloyd or stallworth, rookie who will be there to stretch the field before the season is over (picked up on the third day)
    slater

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]We might only draft 5 players in the first 4 rounds.  Even if we assume Light retires and Mankins starts out on the PUP we'd have 48 players projected to make the 53 leaving room for 5.  I left a space in yellow where I think we could draft a player.  To even get down to this, I have the following being cut or traded. 27 D Thomas '12 30 L Polite '12 26 Hoyer '12 34 Ochocinco 27 J Barrett '12 22 M Williams 31 Koutouvides OFFENSE 24 Players Slot 31 W Welker '12 26 Edelman '12 Gonzales '12 WR 31 B. Lloyd '14 27 M Slater '14   LOT 33 M Light '12 23 N Solder '15   LG 31 R Gallery '12 31 Mankins '16 PUP   C 30 D. Connolly '14 26 Wendell '13   ROG 35 B. Waters '12     RT 27 Vollmer '12 24 M. Cannon '14   TE 23 Gronkowski '13 22 Hernandez '13 28 D Fells '14 QB 35 Tom Brady '14 24 Mallett '14   RB 23 S. Veeren '14 26 Woodhead '12   23 S. Ridley '14 S Larson '13         WR 33 Branch '12 31 Stallworth '12           DEFENSE 22 Players DE   30 J Fanene '14 26 Pryor '13   NT 30 Wilfork '14 25 R. Brace '12   DE 25 Deaderick '13 26 Love '12   OLB/DE 28 T Scott '12 24 Cunningham '13   ILB 26 Mayo '16 25 Fletcher '12   24 J Tarpinian ILB 25 B Spikes '13 31 T White '14   OLB 29 Ninkovich '13     LCB 23 Dowling '14 23 S Moore '12   RCB 26 McCourty '14 26 Arrington '12 34 W Allen '12 SS 25 Chung '12     FS   29 S. Gregory '14 24 S Brown '13   SPECIAL TEAMS 3 PK 28 Gostkowski '14     P 25 Z. Mesko '13     LS 24 D Aiken    

the more i look at this the more i feel they need to invest their picks on both sides of the trench.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Here's my latest mock.  I think looking at remaining needs these guys could all come in and contribute.

27.  OLB Courtney Upshaw - I see him slipping and he could be there now.
    31.  OG Kevin Zeitler- Could be a slight trade down here.  With Mankins likely starting on the shelf and Waters age and potential retirement, a blue chip, plug and play OG is needed.  He can play any of the interior positions allowing us to leave Cannon at tackle, his natural position, for depth.
    48.  RB Doug Martin- He has the perfect blend of power and receiving skills that we've been missing at the position.  With Vereen's injury history we need someone to complete with and share the load with Ridley.  Martin will contribute immediately.
    63.  DT Mike Martin- It's all about sub packages.  Pryor has been hurt too much to count on.  Martin ranks close to the top of all the drills at the Combine.  He has a relentless motor, great character and I think the potential to be a great nickel DT for us.
    95.  FS Truman Johnson- He did not look like a CB during the positional drills at the Combine.  I think he has the potential to be a solid FS at the next level

4th - traded into 2013 for a 3rd.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I wouldn't be suprised if we drafted one in the 2nd or 3rd if the right guy is there. Welker, Lloyd, Edelman and Slater are my locks and I have Branch, Ochocinco, Stallworth, Underwood and Gonzalez all fighting for two remaining spots if we don't draft one.  I think BB always had alot of respect for Gonzalez. I often wonder if he's doing this as a favor for Gonz by signing him up, letting him play in preseason and letting the rest of the league know he's still out there (think Patrick Pass). There is a good chance Gonzalez would never have signed with anyone else and his career would have been over due to the injuries and he'd become a forgotten man. So you could say BB is "Quentin Tarantino-ing" him and the guy might catch on elsewhere. Unless they actually are thinking of trading Welker. I still think he gets a shot to make the roster anyway. There is a good chance they only keep 5 wr as well since Hernandez and Gronk are heavily involved in the passing game.
    Posted by I sat on your toilet[/QUOTE]
    You could be right but I think BB is sick of drafting WRs and not seeing them pan out.  I don't think Branch will get cut unless he gets hurt.  He will still be a better option in BB's mind than a 2-3 round rookie.  I think Stallworth is a better option than Ocho.  He certainly did more his one year here and knows the system which Ocho still doesn't get so he's a lock in my mind.  Underwood can go back to the PS, so not losing him.

As for as BB doing Gonzales a favor, I don't think that's the reason.  Gonzales is an insurance policy against Welker holding out.  If he can stay healthy, he makes the team, if not, he's gone quickly with no loss.  I just don't think BB will draft a WR this year.  He already upgraded with Lloyd and there would be Zero balls for a rookie.

The other possibility is BB plans to trade Welker the moment he signs his tender.  He would certainly get a 1st for him if it's a 2013 pick, with maybe a kicker this year.  I am not ruling that out.  BB doesn't like to spend close to $10MM on a slot receiver or any receiver for that matter and he will get value whenever he can rather than letting someone walk.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

[QUOTE]Here's my latest mock.  I think looking at remaining needs these guys could all come in and contribute. 27.  OLB Courtney Upshaw - I see him slipping and he could be there now. 31.  OG Kevin Zeitler - Could be a slight trade down here.  With Mankins likely starting on the shelf and Waters age and potential retirement, a blue chip, plug and play OG is needed.  He can play any of the interior positions allowing us to leave Cannon at tackle, his natural position, for depth. 48.  RB Doug Martin - He has the perfect blend of power and receiving skills that we've been missing at the position.  With Vereen's injury history we need someone to complete with and share the load with Ridley.  Martin will contribute immediately. 63.  DT Mike Martin - It's all about sub packages.  Pryor has been hurt too much to count on.  Martin ranks close to the top of all the drills at the Combine.  He has a relentless motor, great character and I think the potential to be a great nickel DT for us. 95.  FS Truman Johnson - He did not look like a CB during the positional drills at the Combine.  I think he has the potential to be a solid FS at the next level 4th - traded into 2013 for a 3rd.

I am liking what I read about Zeitler.  He seems to be lot like Mankins, even the same size.  I tried to see what, if any, our linemen had in common.  Light, Mankins, Connolly, McDonald, and Thomas are 6'4" 310lbs.  Same with Zeitler.