Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***
posted at 4/12/2012 11:48 AM EDT
In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***
Is McClellin this year's Barwin, Reed, Sheard??? Seems that name not only here but all over is getting a lot of looks. Started out as a 4th round projection I believe, up to some believing he will end up a 1st rounder.
Posted by Pats7393
Yes, he will be in high demand. Not sure if he makes it out of the first. GB or BAL. But BAL would take Konz if he's there. When everyone else is hot on a player, we are seldom the ones to get him. But Chandler Jones is a player I'm hearing linked to the Pats a lot. Rumor has it BB regretted not taking Clay Matthews so maybe this time he will use both picks, but I doubt it.
But for me going by history, I think he takes the guy he wants at 27 then trades 31 back. There should be a lot of action from teams looking to take care of business on Day 1 so they can reset their boards. It could be any team but by way of example, let's say BUF takes Floyd or Blackmon at #9 because Reiff is off the board. They have to move back up to 31 ahead of the Giants and others to get a LT in Jonathan Martin or Mike Adams. We move back to pick 41 and pick up their 2013 2nd.
My buddy out here who is a huge Chargers' fan said Gregory is a wasted signing and might not make the team. So our hole at FS remains huge. Therefore I'm sticking with Harrison Smith at 27
because BAL is sitting at 29 and Ed Reed isn't going to play forever.
I no longer see us drafting a DE/OLB conversion type early now that we signed Carpenter and Scott and still have Cunningham. BB never drafts them early anyway as the bust potential has been huge over the years.#27 S Harrison Smith
- Our biggest need is at Safety. I don't agree with the idea of moving McCourty to the middle and starting essentially two rookies (Dowling and Jenkins) that would be foolish. Smith brings size, smarts, leadership and attitude. I think he can cover the TE in the seam aid in run support and be the stopper when Chung gets hurt as he always does. #31 Traded for '13 2nd and #41)
#41 CB Janoris Jenkins
- Character concerns causes this kid to slip into the second round. We saw Mallett drop to the 3rd last year and he had far fewer concerns. Since we now have three 2nds, BB will take the risk and Jenkins will compete with Dowling from Day 1.#48 Traded for 2013 first to New Orleans.
Not having a draft pick in the first two rounds this year, NO is desperate to get into the action.#62 RB LaMichael James
- Woodhead was horrible returning kicks last year and his overall production was down, plus he is only signed through 2012. James is much better in the return game and has more shake and bake and big play ability. #93 WR Ryan Broyles
- Welker is likely done after this season as the Pats will never give a $10MM/year deal to a slot receiver. Not finding enough value in a trade, the Pats agree not to tag Welker next year and he signs his tender. Edelman is also a F/A after 2012 so a new slot receiver is badly needed. Broyles was a #1 pick before his ACL and with a full year to cover and learn, the Pats start him on the PUP saving a roster spot and have him ready to go later in the year if needed, or in 2013.#126 DT Akiem Hicks
- We have not seen the Pats use a high pick on the DL since Wilfork in 2004 (I'm not counting Brace because he was drafted specifically as an insurance policy to Wilfork holding out). Since then they have been drafting DL late or getting them in F/A (Deaderick, Love, Pryor) Hicks was originally recruited by LSU but ended up playing in Canada. He has tremendous size and raw power. Since the top DL prospects are long gone the Pats take this kid to groom and coach up.
We've addressed our needs in the secondary, big time! We added a couple of play makers in James who will see action on special teams and perhaps 3rd downs and Broyles who takes over for Welker and possibly Edelman in 2013. Then we added a massive 6-5, 318 34 DE type who can start learning right away and be ready to really contribute next year. ...and by the way, we have a pair of 1sts and 2nds again next year, as always:)).