Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12!
posted at 4/26/2012 1:25 PM EDT
My last mock, I'm not going to give specific picks because I think trades are happening. Just going to list the players in order drafted.
1. McClellin OLB - I don't know he makes it to the Pats but if he's available he needs to be the pick. He's a 4 down player and has the football IQ to be a day one starter.
2. Kendall Reyes DE/DT - I think this 2nd pick will happen in the 2nd round so hopping Reyes is still available. He's another player who can start day one is either 34 or 43.
3. Vinny Curry DE/OLB - Sub pass rusher who will need time to develop cover skills and learn assignments.
4. Zebrie Sanders OT - Sanders adds depth and a potential starting OT. He has experience at LT and RT, has the skills to play LT but needs work. Strong run blocker, would give Pats the flexibility to move Cannon inside if Waters retires.
5. Ron Brooks CB - Could be one of the sleepers in the draft, has had experience at all CB spots at LSU. Very good cover guy with excellent speed.
6. DeQuan Menzie FS/CB - Menzie is a very good slot CB and a good zone defender who will be able to make the transfer to FS.
7. Malik Jackson DE - sub and 43 DE with good pass rush and also plays well against the run. Can develop into a 5 technic with added weight.
8. Jarius Wright WR - Very good route runner and speed to beat coverage.
9. Korey Toomer OLB - Very athletic OLB, good instincts and can cover TEs or RBs. Probably a practice squad or special teams candidate. High upside with development. Sub package LB who if can develop could be a very good cover LB. Played OLB, ILB, DE and FB at Idaho State.