***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12!

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12!:
    [QUOTE]not a running back at 31. I'd like to see defensive playmakers with at least 3 of their first 4 picks. 
    Posted by sporter81[/QUOTE]

not a lot of playmakers available at 27 and 31. especially on de.
    only one may be janoris jenkins.
    on offense there will surely be playmakers at wr

of the de players available, they may be decent, good, busts or a playmaker

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : That's why you have Chung, to cover the TE's and RB releases closer to the line. The FS position is usually set further back in a zone coverage anyways to help over the top.
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

The thought has always been that BB prefers interchangeable safeties, so I don't think he's looking to draft a kid to just play deep half/third.  I think he'd much prefer a kid that could be moved all over the field... someone that can mix it up down near the LOS or cover the slot/deep, etc.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : Haha spot on with that one... If Upshaw is on the board and they go with Branch, I'll be at Best Buy first thing Friday morning to procure another 51" Samsung Plasma. As a hole I'd like a lot of the talent that he brough in, as well as the ammo for next year/the future in regards to picks. If they're gonna sling Hoyer, that would signal a ton of confidence in Mallet and a 4th rounder is realistic as he's not game proven at the NFL level. On the negative side, I'd be pretty pissed if they pass completely on a pure S in this class... believe me, I love the idea of Brooks and/or Robinson, but they need some size back there, and DMC, Gregory and Brooks do not provide that.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

The assumption that Hoyer is only worth a 4th round draft choice is only a calculated opinion and as such may not represent what the Pats think of Hoyer. IMO, if Brady is injured It will be Hoyer that replaces him. By comparison, Hoyer has much more pro experience than Mallet and in the event Brady is unavailable, the MOST game-ready QB is Hoyer. The confusion between Hoyer and Mallet is one of long term "potential" and not game readiness.

Perhaps Mallet will be more game-ready after another year in the Pats system but Hoyer presently remains a credible quality back-up at QB and as such probably deserves  the pricey 2nd round rating.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I don't see BB passing on the S position based on assumed potential depth at the position in next years draft.  If there's a kid available this year within range, that you think can help/upgrade the football team, you take him... at least that's my opinion. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to "Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12!": [QUOTE]I don't see BB passing on the S position based on assumed potential depth at the position in next years draft.  If there's a kid available this year within range, that you think can help/upgrade the football team, you take him... at least that's my opinion.  Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE] Of course you are right mb, but what about the quality of this years safety class in comparison to who,is already on the roster. Question, are any of the safety prospects other than barron and smith represent an upgrade over who we currently have in the position today? It would seem to me that there are only 3-4 kids that I might say that about in this years draft...Barron, smith, Johnson and maybe Martin. Beyond that I don't see a year 1 starter, upgrade to the fs portion of the position, or someone that can play interchangeably as you suggest unless I am missing someone? I fully expect Barron to be gone, and BB not trade up 7-12 spots to get him. Next is smith. Given Baltimore sits behind us and needs a safety as well, they would seem in prime position to grab smith who is next. That means we would have to grab smith at 27. If we don't, and Baltimore does, the only 2 guys left potentially that fit the above criteria are Johnson and Martin (unless of course I am missing someone?). Johnson has some red flags, and Martin I am not convinced is any better than McCourty or Moore playing safety. Is there anyone beyond this list that can come in right away playing opposite Chung, be flexible, and upgrade the spot over who we currently have on the roster? It would seem to me if your premise holds true that smith would have to be the guy bottom of round 1 if BB was intent on drafting S. I am still leaning toward a bigger cb conversion kid based on what we have currently, the depth of this class, and where we would need to spend a pick to upgrade the position with a fs/SS hybrid...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12!": Of course you are right mb, but what about the quality of this years safety class in comparison to who,is already on the roster. Question, are any of the safety prospects other than barron and smith represent an upgrade over who we currently have in the position today? It would seem to me that there are only 3-4 kids that I might say that about in this years draft...Barron, smith, Johnson and maybe Martin. Beyond that I don't see a year 1 starter, upgrade to the fs portion of the position, or someone that can play interchangeably as you suggest unless I am missing someone? I fully expect Barron to be gone, and BB not trade up 7-12 spots to get him. Next is smith. Given Baltimore sits behind us and needs a safety as well, they would seem in prime position to grab smith who is next. That means we would have to grab smith at 27. If we don't, and Baltimore does, the only 2 guys left potentially that fit the above criteria are Johnson and Martin (unless of course I am missing someone?). Johnson has some red flags, and Martin I am not convinced is any better than McCourty or Moore playing safety. Is there anyone beyond this list that can come in right away playing opposite Chung, be flexible, and upgrade the spot over who we currently have on the roster? It would seem to me if your premise holds true that smith would have to be the guy bottom of round 1 if BB was intent on drafting S. I am still leaning toward a bigger cb conversion kid based on what we have currently, the depth of this class, and where we would need to spend a pick to upgrade the position with a fs/SS hybrid...
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

Who's the bigger CB conversion kid that you'd take ahead of Smith (that's how I interpreted the last portion of your post)?  Gilmore to me is the obvious name, but I think he's drafted as a CB first.

Barron, Smith, Iloka, Martin, Taylor and maybe an Antonio Allen, etc. are kids that I think could come in and start/contribute to the S position year one (there isn't a lot of competition on the roster).  

Toss in Gilmore and Johnson if you're looking for CB's who could prob play the position though I think Gilmore should/would be a CB first as mentioned above.

Also, considering Brown and Ihedigbo were both undrafted, it's not unrealistic to think that other late round/URFA's in this class (ND CB/S Robert Blanton, Iowa S Jordan Bernstine, Oregon State CB/S Brandon Hardin, Auburn S Neiko Thorpe etc.) could be brought in to upgrade their spots.

Lastly, I think DMC's move to S last season was out of necessity and while he can play the position, I think they want him at CB... strictly my opinion.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : Normally I would have agreed about larger S's until I saw Brown, Ihedigbo, and Barrett try to play FS and it failed horribly. Matter a fact the only time that the FS position was able to have any type of coverage at all was when Moore and McCourty was back there. The league is turning into a pass happy league and I really feel most teams are looking for 3 cb's on the field at all times. A player like Brooks or McCourty have 200+ size which is large enough imo to hit hard. Personally I think the FS position is turning into a 200+ CB who doesn't have the most fluid hips but has 4.5 speed and can play man or zone. Less of a SS/FS like Chung and more like a CB/FS like Reed
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]
    Time to look at some data.  I've compared the top two S in the draft.  After these two there aren't any IMO worthy of a pick in the first three rounds.  Harrison Smith has acquitted himself nicely compared to Barron.  I looked at both of their full college careers and their last 3 years since Barron wasn't a starter as a freshman. 

Harrison Smith - Notre Dame   
    YearTOTSOLOSACKFFINT
    20096939 1 
    20109155  7
    20119053 1 
    TOT3071863.527
    Mark Barron - Alabama  
    YearTOTSOLOSACKFFINT
    200976430.5 7
    201168431 2
    TOT2351475112
    Last 3 Years Comparison
    Harrison Smith - Notre Dame   
    YearTOTSOLOSACKFFINT
    20096939 1 
    20109155  7
    20119053 1 
    TOT250147027
    Mark Barron - Alabama  
    YearTOTSOLOSACKFFINT
    200976430.5 7
    201168431 2
    TOT2191403.5112

I agree with Mb, we need size back there.  Barrett and Brown have size but neither can play.  Smith can play.  Mediocre TEs ate us up last year.  So we do not a S with size and skills to cover TEs and help out over the top.  I love Smith's range, length, movement skills, smarts, toughness, leadership and he loves to hit.  There are no character or injury concerns that I'm aware of. 

The only knock I have on him is he draws too many flags for late or illegal hits.  But so did Rodney Harrison.  But we need an intimidator back there and we need someone who can tackle the ever bigger and stronger WRs in the league.  I'm sick of watching opposing WRs run through people and pick up 10-20 more yards.  Smith at 27.  I'm calling it, LOL.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : The assumption that Hoyer is only worth a 4th round draft choice is only a calculated opinion and as such may not represent what the Pats think of Hoyer. IMO, if Brady is injured It will be Hoyer that replaces him. By comparison, Hoyer has much more pro experience than Mallet and in the event Brady is unavailable, the MOST game-ready QB is Hoyer. The confusion between Hoyer and Mallet is one of long term "potential" and not game readiness. Perhaps Mallet will be more game-ready after another year in the Pats system but Hoyer presently remains a credible quality back-up at QB and as such probably deserves  the pricey 2nd round rating.
    Posted by moskk[/QUOTE]

Prob is, you can rate a kid as worth a Rd 2 pick all day (which they clearly due based on his tender), but it doesn't mean the league sees him as such. 

My post was based purely on PE's hypothetical scenario... I don't think a Rd 4 pick for a kid with 43 pass attempts to his name is unrealistic... whether BB would make that move or not is another question.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : Time to look at some data.  I've compared the top two S in the draft.  After these two there aren't any IMO worthy of a pick in the first three rounds.  Harrison Smith has acquitted himself nicely compared to Barron.  I looked at both of their full college careers and their last 3 years since Barron wasn't a starter as a freshman.  Harrison Smith - Notre Dame       Year TOT SOLO SACK FF INT 2008 57 39 3.5     2009 69 39   1   2010 91 55     7 2011 90 53   1   TOT 307 186 3.5 2 7 Mark Barron - Alabama     Year TOT SOLO SACK FF INT 2008 16 7 1.5     2009 76 43 0.5   7 2010 75 54 2 1 3 2011 68 43 1   2 TOT 235 147 5 1 12 Last 3 Years Comparison Harrison Smith - Notre Dame       Year TOT SOLO SACK FF INT 2009 69 39   1   2010 91 55     7 2011 90 53   1   TOT 250 147 0 2 7 Mark Barron - Alabama     Year TOT SOLO SACK FF INT 2009 76 43 0.5   7 2010 75 54 2 1 3 2011 68 43 1   2 TOT 219 140 3.5 1 12 I agree with Mb, we need size back there.  Barrett and Brown have size but neither can play.  Smith can play.  Mediocre TEs ate us up last year.  So we do not a S with size and skills to cover TEs and help out over the top.  I love Smith's range, length, movement skills, smarts, toughness, leadership and he loves to hit.  There are no character or injury concerns that I'm aware of.  The only knock I have on him is he draws too many flags for late or illegal hits.  But so did Rodney Harrison.  But we need an intimidator back there and we need someone who can tackle the ever bigger and stronger WRs in the league.  I'm sick of watching opposing WRs run through people and pick up 10-20 more yards.  Smith at 27.  I'm calling it, LOL.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

If they take Smith at 27 (or with one of their top 3 picks), get ready to extend your hand for a cyber-high 5!

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12!": Of course you are right mb, but what about the quality of this years safety class in comparison to who,is already on the roster. Question, are any of the safety prospects other than barron and smith represent an upgrade over who we currently have in the position today? It would seem to me that there are only 3-4 kids that I might say that about in this years draft...Barron, smith, Johnson and maybe Martin. Beyond that I don't see a year 1 starter, upgrade to the fs portion of the position, or someone that can play interchangeably as you suggest unless I am missing someone? I fully expect Barron to be gone, and BB not trade up 7-12 spots to get him. Next is smith. Given Baltimore sits behind us and needs a safety as well, they would seem in prime position to grab smith who is next. That means we would have to grab smith at 27. If we don't, and Baltimore does, the only 2 guys left potentially that fit the above criteria are Johnson and Martin (unless of course I am missing someone?). Johnson has some red flags, and Martin I am not convinced is any better than McCourty or Moore playing safety. Is there anyone beyond this list that can come in right away playing opposite Chung, be flexible, and upgrade the spot over who we currently have on the roster? It would seem to me if your premise holds true that smith would have to be the guy bottom of round 1 if BB was intent on drafting S. I am still leaning toward a bigger cb conversion kid based on what we have currently, the depth of this class, and where we would need to spend a pick to upgrade the position with a fs/SS hybrid...
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]
    Couple things Lifer, if I can weigh in?  BAL also needs interior OL help.  They lost Grubbs so could be looking at Konz to start there then move to C in a year or two when Birk finally retires.  So, if Konz is there when we go on the clock at 27, we could roll the dice and pick someone else and not Smith as Smith should then slip to 31.  GB at 28 needs CBs, a DT and OLB.  I don't think they are a risk to take Smith but their secondary was worse than ours last year.  SF at 30 needs a guard.  If Gordy Glenn is gone, I think Zeitler could sneak in there at 30.  He solves their most pressing need and as a mid to late 30s guy, taking him at 30 isn't that much of a reach.  BAL could also go with Zeitler at 29 if Konz is gone so this is where BB has to get inside the minds of opposing GMs.

I don't know that I would risk not taking Smith at 27.  The talent at S falls off the cliff after him.  FS is our biggest need and SS is our second biggest need because if Chung goes down, we have nobody.  Smith can play both positions.  I say we lock him up at 27.  Forget Barron.  Some mocks have him going as high as #10 to BUF and every team between DAL at 14 and SD at 18 could target him.  So Mb, I wouldn't be waiting in line to buy a Barron jersey. 

I say fill our biggest hole at 27.  That rounds out our roster.  It really does.  Every pick after that is for the future or to upgrade a vet. 

Here would be our depth chart with Smith on board at 27.  I'm putting Mankins on the PUP to start the season and not count initially towards the 53.  But he very well may be fine in time.  Without Mankins we are already over budget by two offensive players.  I see some pretty obvious potential cuts depending on who we draft but that's another discussion.

OFFENSE 27 Players
    Slot31 W Welker '1226 Edelman '12A. Gonzales
    WR31 B. Lloyd '1534 C. Ochocincho '13 
    LOT23 N Solder '15  
    LGR Gallery31 Mankins '16 PUP 
    C30 Connolly '1532 D Koppen '13 
    ROG35 Brian Waters26 Wendell '13 
    RT27 Vollmer '1224 M. Cannon '14 
    TE23 Gronkowski '1322 Hernandez '13D. Fells
    QB35 Tom Brady '1425 Hoyer '1224 Mallett '14
    RB23 S. Veeren '1426 Woodhead '12 
    23 S. Ridley '14T. FiamettaS. Larson

WR34 D. Branch '12D. Stallworth27 M Slater '14

DEFENSE 25 Players
    DE 26 Pryor '13T. Scott24 Cunningham
    DT30 Wilfork '1425 R. Brace '12 
    DT26 Love '11M. Harrison 
    DE30 J. Fanine '1325 Deaderick '13 
    WLB26 Mayo '1625 D Fletcher '12 
    MLB25 B Spikes '1330 White '12 
    SLB29 Ninkovich '13B. Carpenter 
    LCB26 Arrington '1223 Dowling '14 
    RCB26 McCourty '1423 S Moore '12W. Allen
    SS25 Chung '1223 S. Brown 
    FS27 H. Smith27 J. BarrettS. Gregory

SPECIAL TEAMS 3
    PK28 Gostkowski '14  
    P25 Z. Mesko '13  
    LS24 D Aiken  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : If they take Smith at 27 (or with one of their top 3 picks), get ready to extend your hand for a cyber-high 5!
    Will do:).  I love the kid and I know you do too.  I would not rule out us signing Yeramiah Bell either.  The below link already says he's a Patriot, LOL.  Did that happen and I missed it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yeremiah_Bell

Even if he comes, he's 34 so doesn't change the need.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Was checking out Reiss this morning and came across this little tidbit from yesterday.

In the days leading up to the NFL draft, ESPNBoston.com will identify players who project as solid fits for the Patriots:

Player: Harrison Smith

School: Notre Dame

Position: Safety

Listed height/weight:6-foot-1 7/8, 213 pounds

Scouts Inc. rank: 2nd

Draft projection: Late first or second round

Why he’s on our list: Safety was a trouble spot for the Patriots last season, and it figures to be a priority in the draft. Smith, who has ideal NFL size, has played a lot of football at a high level and can do a number of things from the position (including some linebacker-type assignments). A team captain who hasn’t had any major injuries over his career, he projects as a prospect who should start quickly and is one of the safer picks in the draft.

Recommended link: Smith is featured on NFL Network's "Path to the Draft" program (video link here).

Key stat: Totaled 50 games played, with 41 starts, in his college career.

Workout stat: Tested well at the combine with a 4.12 short shuttle and 6.63 three-cone.

Steve Muench of Scouts Inc.: “Smith is a three-year starter who rarely gets caught out of position but he’s more than just a fundamentally sound football player. His 4.57 40-time at the Combine is slightly above average and he accounts for more ground in coverage than prospects with the same kind of speed. He does so because of his ability to diagnose routes better than most, and his long arms (32.5-inches) amplify his range. Although he’s not quite agile or explosive enough to stay with a lot of NFL slot receivers in man coverage, he’s capable of staying with tight ends. In terms of his potential to develop into a playmaker, his failure to intercept a pass in three of his four seasons at Notre Dame is admittedly somewhat concerning. On the other hand, he’s shown that he’s capable by intercepting seven passes in 2010 and he has the tools, in addition to his long arms, to get even better in this area. Smith has big hands (10.2-inches) and he can elevate, recording a 34-inch vertical in Indianapolis. Finally, he’s an excellent run defender who takes sound pursuit angles, tackles well and shown than he can hold his own when moved into the box, as he started nine games at linebacker in 2009.”

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : Will do:).  I love the kid and I know you do too.  I would not rule out us signing Yeramiah Bell either.  The below link already says he's a Patriot, LOL.  Did that happen and I missed it? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yeremiah_Bell Even if he comes, he's 34 so doesn't change the need.

Ha, haven't been able to find a link to confirm said signing.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Was checking out Reiss this morning and came across this little tidbit from yesterday. 10 possible Pats: Harrison Smith April, 20, 2012 Apr 20 3:01 PM ET By Mike Reiss | ESPNBoston.com Recommend 6 Tweet 5 Comments 209 Email Print In the days leading up to the NFL draft, ESPNBoston.com will identify players who project as solid fits for the Patriots: Player: Harrison Smith School: Notre Dame Position: Safety Listed height/weight: 6-foot-1 7/8, 213 pounds Scouts Inc. rank: 2nd Draft projection: Late first or second round Why he’s on our list: Safety was a trouble spot for the Patriots last season, and it figures to be a priority in the draft. Smith, who has ideal NFL size, has played a lot of football at a high level and can do a number of things from the position (including some linebacker-type assignments). A team captain who hasn’t had any major injuries over his career, he projects as a prospect who should start quickly and is one of the safer picks in the draft. Recommended link: Smith is featured on NFL Network's "Path to the Draft" program ( video link here ). Key stat: Totaled 50 games played, with 41 starts, in his college career. Workout stat: Tested well at the combine with a 4.12 short shuttle and 6.63 three-cone. Steve Muench of Scouts Inc.: “Smith is a three-year starter who rarely gets caught out of position but he’s more than just a fundamentally sound football player. His 4.57 40-time at the Combine is slightly above average and he accounts for more ground in coverage than prospects with the same kind of speed. He does so because of his ability to diagnose routes better than most, and his long arms (32.5-inches) amplify his range. Although he’s not quite agile or explosive enough to stay with a lot of NFL slot receivers in man coverage, he’s capable of staying with tight ends. In terms of his potential to develop into a playmaker, his failure to intercept a pass in three of his four seasons at Notre Dame is admittedly somewhat concerning. On the other hand, he’s shown that he’s capable by intercepting seven passes in 2010 and he has the tools, in addition to his long arms, to get even better in this area. Smith has big hands (10.2-inches) and he can elevate, recording a 34-inch vertical in Indianapolis. Finally, he’s an excellent run defender who takes sound pursuit angles, tackles well and shown than he can hold his own when moved into the box, as he started nine games at linebacker in 2009.”

And if you think about it, he fits most if not all of the criteria for a BB Rd 1 pick or at the very least, a Top 50 player... what's not to like?

*He fills a huge need 
    *He's a senior
    *Team captain and leader
    *Solid on and off the field
    *No real holes to his game
    *Proven at a high level
    *Huge motor
    *ST value
    *Versatile
    *Instinctive
    *Smart
    *Durable
    *Size
    *Speed
    *Quicks
    *Tackles well
    *Physical

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Apparently NE isn't done shopping for RBs hosting Grant, Hightower and Addai.  I for one don't think they will keep both Fiametta and Larson.  They are too similar.  I think Larson would be the favorite being a Josh McDaniels boy plus he can play a little LB.  So, we really have 4 RBs now.  

Even if we sign one of the above, I could still see us drafting the position if the right player is there at the right spot.  I don't think Martin will last much past 31 but could we target Miller or Wilson at 48?  Or, perhaps we take Martin at 31 then see if we can trade 48 for a late pick this year and a 1st next year to a good team.  Perhaps New Orleans again?  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : And if you think about it, he fits most if not all of the criteria for a BB Rd 1 pick or at the very least, a Top 50 player... whats not to like?   *He fills a huge need  *He's a senior *Team captain and leader *Solid on and off the field *No real holes to his game *Proven at a high level *Huge motor *ST value *Versatile *Instinctive *Smart *Durable *Size *Speed *Quicks *Tackles well *Physical
    I know!!!  Glad you agree.  The pick is so obvious even Kiper should be able to figure it out. 

Smith at 27, Bruce Irvin at 62.  We can trade 31 and 48 into next year plus drop down and gain some late round picks this year.  I would love to get something around 56 and 75.  You know I love Mike Martin.  I think this kid has Patriot written all over him too.  I think Pryor and Brace can't stay healthy and I doubt Marcus Harrison sticks.

If we got Harrison Smith at 27, I think our need at CB diminishes.  We have McCourty and Dowling as starters with Arrington, Moore and Allen behind them.  If numb skull Jenkins drops like a rock as expected we might take the chance on him at 93.  Hernandez fell a lot further than that with less issues.  So, if BB does what he usually does we could go:

27.  Harrison Smith
    56.  LaMichael James
    62.  Bruce Irvin
    75.  Mike Martin
    93.  Janoris Jenkins
    126. Joe Adams

I'm sure we'll have something in rounds 5-7 too plus we will end up with an extra 1st and 2nd next year too.  Imagine what James and Adams could bring to the offense and special teams.  Smith steps in and starts day 1 while Irvin and Martin come in on passing downs.  If Jenkins gets his head screwed on straight, he could beat out Dowling or at a minimum, be a great slot corner with his quicks and movement skills.  PLUS, we go laughing into next year with a pair of 1st and 2nds again!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Let's assume we did what I discussed in my last post.  OMG, we're so loaded we need to change our diaper.  We literally need to start two guys on the PUP list just to get to 53.  If either Mankins or Koppen is ready to go Day 1, we will probably have to cut Waters.  Since we locked up Connolly for 3 years at a pretty good contract, I think he is favorite to start out at center while we tuck Koppen away for insurance.  I don't see any way we draft OL now although we do appear short one OT so perhaps we play the Seau game with Light but I guess Gallery can slide over too, so really we are all set on the OL with 2 insurance policies. 

Our OL appears to be the strongest and deepest position on the team.  Clearly BB wants to keep Brady safe and with BUF bringing in Williams, he wants to keep it that way. 

Carrying Hoyer sure seems like a luxury.  I think Fells is safe.  I think Ocho or Stallworth have to go if we draft a WR.  For now I took Stallworth over Ocho because he at least showed he grasped our O when he was here before.  If we were to draft James and Adams our return game will be vastly improved.  I don't think Adams will see the field much on offense the first year but with Welker leaving after the season I could see him working into the slot next year.  LaMichael James could end up getting a lot of reps on offense since we have to replace 40% of the carries we lost from BJGE and Faulk leaving.  James is an exciting and explosive player and I think he's better than Vereen and Woodhead.

Our offense is going to be absolutely ridiculous next year baring injury.  Probably better on paper than 2007.

Defensively with Jenkins and Harrison Smith added, I think we improved dramatically at the back end.  Irvin, Scott and Carpenter should be able to bring some pressure from the edges.  I'm not ruling out Andre Carter coming back replacing probably Cunningham.  I think we'll play more 34 but left this as a 43 scheme for now.  I think with these changes, we should be a top 20 D next year.  A top 20 D with a #1 O should mean SB again!!

OFFENSE 25 Players
    Slot31 W Welker '1226 Edelman '12 
    WR31 B. Lloyd '15126 J. Adams 
    LOT23 N Solder '15  
    LGR Gallery31 Mankins '16 PUP 
    C30 Connolly '1532 D Koppen PUP 
    ROG35 Brian Waters26 Wendell '13 
    RT27 Vollmer '1224 M. Cannon '14 
    TE23 Gronkowski '1322 Hernandez '13D. Fells
    QB35 Tom Brady '1425 Hoyer '1224 Mallett '14
    RB23 S. Veeren '1426 Woodhead '1258 L. James
    23 S. Ridley '14S. Larson 

WR34 D. Branch '12D. Stallworth27 M Slater '14

DEFENSE 25 Players
    DE 26 Pryor '13T. Scott24 Cunningham
    DT30 Wilfork '1425 R. Brace '12 
    DT26 Love '1175 M. Martin 
    DE30 J. Fanine '1325 Deaderick '13 
    WLB26 Mayo '1625 D Fletcher '1263 B. Irvin
    MLB25 B Spikes '1330 White '12 
    SLB29 Ninkovich '13B. Carpenter 
    LCB23 Dowling '1493 J. Jenkins 
    RCB26 McCourty '1426 Arrington '1223 S Moore '12
    SS25 Chung '1223 S. Brown 
    FS27 H. SmithS. Gregory 

SPECIAL TEAMS 3
    PK28 Gostkowski '14  
    P25 Z. Mesko '13  
    LS24 D Aiken  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

One little caveat.  Do we take Poe at 27 if he slips there just based on his raw potential? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]One little caveat.  Do we take Poe at 27 if he slips there just based on his raw potential? 

if the pats have interest in a 350 lb nt, i'd like for them to pick up taamu in the third. does not show as much athleticism, but generated about the same output in better competition. i believe they will have the same level of success in the nfl.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Faucet, I say H*ll NO,  fat waste of time.  Watch some film, u wont even consider him in Rd2, much less in rd 1.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : if the pats have interest in a 350 lb nt, i'd like for them to pick up taamu in the third. does not show as much athleticism, but generated about the same output in better competition. i believe they will have the same level of success in the nfl.
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]

I'd agree.  Poe looks like a better athlete, with better explosion, but I don't see him finish a ton of plays or play with a consistent motor... I also don't see a ton of awareness.  Kid is definitely more potential than production... best case scenario for NE is some team taking him before 27, etc.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I had the same thoughts about Poe and expressed them early on.  But wonder if he was lacking elite coaching to go along with not having elite competition and not having elite production?  He seems like he has a good work ethic and hustles, he just didn't make many plays.  He could be a huge Bust but could be a HUGE find too.  He has everything you want physically.

Imagine if he only needed some coaching up and you put him inside a 43 next to VW and ask him to plug lanes and take up doubles?  IDK, at 27 the risk/reward % improve. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]I had the same thoughts about Poe and expressed them early on.  But wonder if he was lacking elite coaching to go along with not having elite competition and not having elite production?  He seems like he has a good work ethic and hustles, he just didn't make many plays.  He could be a huge Bust but could be a HUGE find too.  He has everything you want physically. Imagine if he only needed some coaching up and you put him inside a 43 next to VW and ask him to plug lanes and take up doubles?  IDK, at 27 the risk/reward % improve. 

those thoughts definitely crossed my mind during the combine. if the team does pick him at 27, i'd still want them to pick another DT/DE at 48 - reyes or thompson.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Nebraska  CB Alfonzo Dennard's draft stock was already in a downward spiral before he was arrested last night around 2 am for assulting a police officer.  Not the best timing.  6 months ago this kid was being projected as a top 20 pick, but a poor senior bowl week had most experts projecting him in the late 2nd round.  Now this bone-head move could slide him into the 4th round or later.  If he's sitting there in the late 4th, it wouldn't suprise me if BB grabbed him with the intention of trying him as a safety.