***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!:
    I certainly smell a trade up or trade back from the Pats. Hearing some scouts say they only have 25/26 1st round grades on players this year at the moment.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

I don't know, if that's the cast which I might not agree right now then BB sits where he likes.  Ability to trade both of those 1st rounders, land a 2013 1st and multiple 2nd rounds this year and later rounds.

The value is there with blue chip type players like Reyes, Branch, Jones and a list of other solid 2nd round.  DL all the way to 4th round you can get solid starter.  

I think he trades down and stocks on guys who can make a difference and set up some picks in later rounds and future drafts.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I'm trying to figure out which players are absolute locks to be picked before pick 27.  Here's what I've come up with in no particular order...Luck, Griffin, Kalil, Coples, Claiborne, Blackmon, Reiff, Kirkpatrick, Decastro, Keuchly, Richardson, Upshaw, Johnathan Martin, Floyd, and Ingram.  That's 15 guys that I think are locks to go before NE.  What do you guys think?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I'm trying to figure out which players are absolute locks to be picked before pick 27.  Here's what I've come up with in no particular order...Luck, Griffin, Kalil, Coples, Claiborne, Blackmon, Reiff, Kirkpatrick, Decastro, Keuchly, Richardson, Upshaw, Johnathan Martin, Floyd, and Ingram.  That's 15 guys that I think are locks to go before NE.  What do you guys think?
    Posted by WazzuWheatfarmer

Tannehill QB
    Brockers DT/DE
    Glenn OT/OG
    K. Wright WR
    Still DT
    Konz OC/OG
    Barron S
    Poe DT/NT
    Perry DE/OLB
    Hightower LB (think Steelers might take him, Poe to Chargers/Jets/Houston)
    Worthy DT
    Jenkins CB

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Change pick 48 from Martin to Smith FS and 31 from Gilmore to Andre Branch and this is the draft.

So this mock is not too accurate I believe but with my changes:

27 Brockers DE/DT
    31 Branch DE/OLB
    48 Smith FS
    63 Osemele OG/OT
    94 Bequette DE/OLB
    126 J. Wright WR

Mock is very unrealistic with some of the 1st round talent falling to 2nd round but that mock for Pats I think would be solid.  In Branch get speed rusher with Bequette as jack of all trades (a la Vrable) OLB.  Brockers starts at DE for 10 years, Smith at FS will be a play maker and Osemele a mauler inside.  Wright stretches the field.  I like it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Interesting little side note...

Josh Robinson who ran Combine's fastest 40 (4.33), had picked UCF over MICH. Primary recruiter was George Godsey, now a NE Pats asst.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sydpat. Show sydpat's posts

Faucet

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sydpat. Show sydpat's posts

Faucet

Read an article by Damien Jarrett (PatsFans.com)about trading Welker.

Now before everybody panics ......read the article.

The summary is we tag Welker, trade him away, sign Mario Williams long term and get another on the defensive front with the added draft pick. Sign Branch , get Lloyd,Wayne or Meachem and draft a good receiver.

Reckons it is a tough business decision, better in the long run for the Pats no matter how heavy the hearts would be.

It is a pretty detailed report.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Faucet Read an article by Damien Jarrett (PatsFans.com)about trading Welker. Now before everybody panics ......read the article. The summary is we tag Welker, trade him away, sign Mario Williams long term and get another on the defensive front with the added draft pick. Sign Branch , get Lloyd,Wayne or Meachem and draft a good receiver. Reckons it is a tough business decision, better in the long run for the Pats no matter how heavy the hearts would be. It is a pretty detailed report.
    Posted by sydpat

very interesting.
    i was thinking of maybe replacing this year or next.

hey all walter football finally has a decent pats mock, post combine, with all the players we've talked about as possible pats listed from pick 20 (within reach up down or where we are) in 1st through 2nd.

brockers,
    branch, 
    harrison smith
    m jones

in the first 4.

here is the link re welker/ mario:

heres walter's new mock:

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Posted by WazzuWheatfarmer

Lets see off the top of my head I have people who will come off the board before #27:

QB - RGIII, Luck
    WR - Floyd, Blackmon
    RB - Richardson
    TE - N/A
    OT - Kalil, Reiff, Martin
    OG - DeCastro
    OC - Konz
    DT/NT - Poe, Still
    DE/OLB - Couples, Ingram, Perry, Upshaw
    ILB - Kuechly
    CB - Kirkpatrick, Claiborne
    S - N/A

so that's 19. Players that might go before 27:

QB - Tannehill
    WR - K Wright, Sanu
    RB - Miller
    TE - Allen, Fleener
    OT - Adams
    OG - Glenn
    OC - N/A
    DT/NT - Brockers
    DE/OLB - Mercilus, Branch
    ILB - Hightower
    CB - Jenkins, Minnifield
    S - Barron

That's another 15 so a total of 34 players who could possibly go in the top 27 imo

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : very interesting. i was thinking of maybe replacing this year or next. hey all walter football finally has a decent pats mock, post combine, with all the players we've talked about as possible pats listed from pick 20 (within reach up down or where we are) in 1st through 2nd. brockers, branch,  harrison smith m jones in the first 4. here is the link re welker/ mario: http://www.patsfans.com/blogs/damien/2012/02/14/should-the-patriots-trade-wes-welker/ heres walter's new mock: http://walterfootball.com/draft2012.php
    Posted by bredbru

What I heard yesterday afternoon on ESPN is so typical of the disconnect between BB and the "rest of us".  Even the Mocks seem not to have seen this curve-ball coming our way.

Of course, it could be a case of misdirection on BB's part, sort of a clever disguise of BB's true intentions or it could be quite accurate.

I am referring to the statement that BB is trying to move to the top of the draft board to select Morris Claiborne...a top 5-10 selection on most draft boards.  It would no doubt involve BOTH of our 1st round selections at the very least and perhaps something else in 2013.  Go figure....If true, it would indicate that BB believes that the best value in the draft is in the top 10 picks (very expensive to acquire) and that he knows that we don't have the right pieces with our present CBs.  I just don't get it!  Is Morris that good or is he simply this year's best CB?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : What I heard yesterday afternoon on ESPN is so typical of the disconnect between BB and the "rest of us".  Even the Mocks seem not to have seen this curve-ball coming our way. Of course, it could be a case of misdirection on BB's part, sort of a clever disguise of BB's true intentions or it could be quite accurate. I am referring to the statement that BB is trying to move to the top of the draft board to select Morris Claiborne...a top 5-10 selection on most draft boards.  It would no doubt involve BOTH of our 1st round selections at the very least and perhaps something else in 2013.  Go figure....If true, it would indicate that BB believes that the best value in the draft is in the top 10 picks (very expensive to acquire) and that he knows that we don't have the right pieces with our present CBs.  I just don't get it!  Is Morris that good or is he simply this year's best CB?
    Posted by moskk

I really don't see that happening. The cost alone is prohibitive. Throw out the draft value charts, those were based on high pay scales and not around the rookie cap.

For example for the Skins to move from #6 to #2 to get RGIII the reported offer might be their 1st, 2nd, 3rd and next years 1st. Now Claiborne can really go anywhere in the top 10 but lets say he doesn't make it past Jax at the latest. For the Pats to move from 27 to #7 at minimum will cost their entire draft and I just don't see that happening for 1 player unless it's the reincarnation of LT (the original)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I really don't see that happening. The cost alone is prohibitive. Throw out the draft value charts, those were based on high pay scales and not around the rookie cap. For example for the Skins to move from #6 to #2 to get RGIII the reported offer might be their 1st, 2nd, 3rd and next years 1st. Now Claiborne can really go anywhere in the top 10 but lets say he doesn't make it past Jax at the latest. For the Pats to move from 27 to #7 at minimum will cost their entire draft and I just don't see that happening for 1 player unless it's the reincarnation of LT (the original)
    Posted by PatsEng

I don't think you can compare the #2 pick and its cost with the 5-10 pick simply because we're talking (at #2) about a QB who is probably franchise-building MVP..  Despite that I do see your point as regards cost vs the many needs that the Pats have.

If the rumor were true it would also indicate how very active BB would need to be in FA because we do have those other needs. Further, his actions would fly in the face of reality in that this is a strong positional draft (OL, DL, WR) where we need upgrades.

If Wylie is a Welker "clone", and he certainly appears to be, I don't think that BB will wait to the 3rd round to select him. Now would be the time to give Wylie a chance to prove himself, especially if Welker is franchised. I would expect him to go with our second selection in the second round IF he truly is being viewed as a possible Welker replacement.

While our 4 picks in the first two rounds are so critical to our continued success I also think that the quality/cost of players available in FA this year provide a unique opportunity for instant upgrades. Acquisitions in FA  also provide us greater latitude in how we manage our draft.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : that's what i thought 2/3 of the way into the season. i think the top 7 talent is as exciting as in any other draft. from there, you have about 15 decent first rounders. and then maybe 10 debatable rnd 1-2 type guys.  i consider this class' DL to compare poorly vs last year's.  WR receiver has arguably a handful of first rounders. after that the number of WRs who could have been picked in the 2nd or 3rd round in previous years is more than will be picked in the 2nd and 3rd rnds. there will be very good WRs in the fourth.
    Posted by seattlepat70

I think if you compare most drafts (defensive line wise) to last year's they'd come up short, which is why I was so surprised we came away with no one last year when we really needed it. I think the 34 outside linebacker/defensive ends look better this year and for the talk about this draft having first round talent up to pick 27 or so...that's actually better than average.

I don't think you can have the last couple of picks in the first round and not know that you're going to be selecting 2nd round talent or having a first round guy there that doesn't fit your system or need. I'd be shocked if you used both picks quite honestly, because we keep trading away into next year for hopes of something better - I don't think you'll see them "cash in" at the bottom of round one. Now if we had two picks in the top 15...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I think if you compare most drafts (defensive line wise) to last year's they'd come up short, which is why I was so surprised we came away with no one last year when we really needed it. I think the 34 outside linebacker/defensive ends look better this year and for the talk about this draft having first round talent up to pick 27 or so...that's actually better than average.   I don't think you can have the last couple of picks in the first round and not know that you're going to be selecting 2nd round talent or having a first round guy there that doesn't fit your system or need. I'd be shocked if you used both picks quite honestly, because we keep trading away into next year for hopes of something better - I don't think you'll see them "cash in" at the bottom of round one. Now if we had two picks in the top 15...
    Posted by mthurl

If there truly are 27 players with a first round grade one should expect some surprise departures from that list as desperate teams reach for needs. Among the most common "reaches" involves the QB position followed by work-out warriors who have exceptional measurables. In the latter case teams are drafting for "potential" rather than demonstrated performance at the college level. Hill, Poe and Brown might fit that description...and you probably can think of others. Remember that every team has their own drafting inclinations and prejudice.

Despite all of the above I understand the thrust of your contention but I do hope that we get to see a few gems fall into our laps so that TRADING DOWN isn't the best option!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Here's the post combine 1st round mock, and all Pats pick.  I did something I wish BB would do, back to back DTs in first.  
    Pick Team Player  Position
    1 Colts Andrew Luck QB
    2 Redskins (#6) RGIII QB
    3 Vikings Matt Kalil LT
    4 Browns M. Claiborne CB
    5 Buccaneers Trent Richardson RB
    6 Rams (#2) Justin Blackmon WR
    7 Bills (#10) Melvin Ingram OLB
    8 Dolphins Jonathan Martin OT
    9 Panthers Michael Brockers DT
    10 Jaguars (#7) Riley Reiff OT
    11 Chiefs Dontari Poe NT
    12 Seahawks Ryan Tannehill QB
    13 Cardinals David DeCastro OG
    14 Cowboys Dre Kirkpatrick CB
    15 Eagles Courtney Upshaw LB
    16 Jets Quinton Couples OLB/DE
    17 Bengals (Oak) Cordy Glenn OT/OG
    18 Chargers Luke Kuechly ILB
    19 Bears Michael Floyd WR
    20 Titans Peter Konz OC/OG
    21 Bengals Mark Barron S
    22 Browns (Atl) Rueben Randle WR
    23 Lions Janoris Jenkins CB
    24 Steelers Nick Perry  OLB
    25 Broncos Devon Still DT
    26 Texans Stephen Hill WR
    27 Patriots (NO) Fletcher Cox DT
    28 Packers Whitney Mercilus OLB
    29 Ravens Donta Hightower ILB
    30 49ers Kendall Wright WR
    31 Patriots Kendall Reyes DT
    32 Giants Mike Adams OT

48 Harrison Smith S
    63 Jake Bequette OLB/DE
    94 Marvin Jones WR
    126 Phillip Blake OG/OC

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Tank Carder very poorly evaluated in my opinion. Much better than people give him credit for.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from paularnold. Show paularnold's posts

For a model of what it would take to move up that far in the draft just take a look at the Atlanta trade for Julio Jones last season.  For the 6th pick the Falcons traded their 1st (27th ironically enough), 2nd, and 4th last year and a 1st and 4th this year.  The way the Patriots build I can't see them having any interest in a move like this, unless as someone else said he is the second coming of the original LT.

I think the more realistic answer is that there may be a slight movement up or down with the 27th pick and trying to trade the 31st into a second and future 1st.  I'm still rooting for Fletcher Cox with the first.  Since I have a 0% rating of getting BB picks correct take him off your board. 

I know Alshon Jefferey has all kinds of warts but could he be a value in the mid to late second?  I watched a lot of SC this year and their QB situation was atrocious.  Garcia was terrible and when he finally got thrown off the team the frosh they brought in was worse.  Jefferey was arguably top 15 talent going into the season.  Just his size and speed combo plus his ability to catch the ball in traffic seem ideal for one on one coverage on the outside.  Maybe going to a successful team with a strong locker room would help a guy like him.  He showed up at the combine at the right weight, but people think he didn't do drills because he had no energy due to the quick weight loss.  Or is this guy right off the draft list?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Pats7393-Nice Mock.  I certainly wouldn't complain about Cox/Reyes in 1st round, but in a perfect world I would like to see NE make a trade back into the early 2nd round to grab Reyes (may not be possible, I know.)  I would hate to see Couples slide to Jets, but it could happen.  Also, it would be a bold move to pass on Kendall Wright for Stephen Hill, as you have Hou doing, but after the combine I could see a scenario where it could happen.  Hill opposite Andre Johnson could be trouble if his production can match his athleticism. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : thats how i started my draft analysis re safety. barron to me would be a chung upgrade. fine if you pick him for that. fs is the greater need at this point
    Posted by bredbru

As we all know, S and TE are the weakest and thinnest groups in this draft class.  Mayock has a first round grade on Barron and a second round grade on Harrison Smith.  He claims both will be starters in the NFL next year.  Other than them, he and Prime saw a bunch of corners that they think will make better safeties.  Mayock said he would go back in the next week or so and start moving those CBs to S on his board.

When you have thin talent at a position of need, it will drive those players up the board, not down.  So, Barron is likely gone to the first team that has a high need at S.  The Pats have historically gone out in free agency and plugged all of their holes before the draft.  They can then draft BPA.  Other than last year when we couldn't, we've seen this time and again.  I really think the Pats will add a FS and perhaps a CB before the draft.  The F/A class has some decent talent at those positions. 

Outside of Claiborne, Kirkpatrick and the smug little trouble-maker, Jenkins, I wasn't wowed by the rest of the CBs.  There were some kids who looked decent and showed potential but none where we could say, "oh yeah, he's going to come in and beat out DMC, Arrington, Moore and Dowling.  Let's be realistic.  We aren't likely to get Claiborne or Kirkpatrick and I wouldn't gamble a first on Jenkins, so we should forget about a CB this year making an impact from the draft unless we find a sleeper, like Asante Samuel was.

I only see FS as a position where Barron or Harrison could come in and win the starting job out of camp.  Harrison looked very good in his change of direction drills and his size only improves his decent speed.  Prime and Mayock thought he could play either S position, so Harrison could be a target at 48, if there, and Barron will be out of range.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Faucet Read an article by Damien Jarrett (PatsFans.com)about trading Welker. Now before everybody panics ......read the article. The summary is we tag Welker, trade him away, sign Mario Williams long term and get another on the defensive front with the added draft pick. Sign Branch , get Lloyd,Wayne or Meachem and draft a good receiver. Reckons it is a tough business decision, better in the long run for the Pats no matter how heavy the hearts would be. It is a pretty detailed report.
    Posted by sydpat

I didn't read the article but I doubt they would trade Welker away this year and take away Brady's #1 weapon who is still getting it done.  I think they will tag Welker and keep him this year and perhaps draft a Wylie to develop behind him.  If they can't get Welker to agree to a manageable new contract, then I think next year they would tag and trade him assuming they like what they see from his replacement.

I don't see Mario Williams coming here.  He is likely to make the most money of any non-QB free agent and BB doesn't do bidding wars.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Here's the post combine 1st round mock, and all Pats pick.  I did something I wish BB would do, back to back DTs in first.   Pick Team Player  Position 1 Colts Andrew Luck QB 2 Redskins (#6) RGIII QB 3 Vikings Matt Kalil LT 4 Browns M. Claiborne CB 5 Buccaneers Trent Richardson RB 6 Rams (#2) Justin Blackmon WR 7 Bills (#10) Melvin Ingram OLB 8 Dolphins Jonathan Martin OT 9 Panthers Michael Brockers DT 10 Jaguars (#7) Riley Reiff OT 11 Chiefs Dontari Poe NT 12 Seahawks Ryan Tannehill QB 13 Cardinals David DeCastro OG 14 Cowboys Dre Kirkpatrick CB 15 Eagles Courtney Upshaw LB 16 Jets Quinton Couples OLB/DE 17 Bengals (Oak) Cordy Glenn OT/OG 18 Chargers Luke Kuechly ILB 19 Bears Michael Floyd WR 20 Titans Peter Konz OC/OG 21 Bengals Mark Barron S 22 Browns (Atl) Rueben Randle WR 23 Lions Janoris Jenkins CB 24 Steelers Nick Perry  OLB 25 Broncos Devon Still DT 26 Texans Stephen Hill WR 27 Patriots (NO) Fletcher Cox DT 28 Packers Whitney Mercilus OLB 29 Ravens Donta Hightower ILB 30 49ers Kendall Wright WR 31 Patriots Kendall Reyes DT 32 Giants Mike Adams OT 48 Harrison Smith S 63 Jake Bequette OLB/DE 94 Marvin Jones WR 126 Phillip Blake OG/OC
    Posted by Pats7393

Maybe a little high on Bequette, but that'd be an awesome class.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

For a model of what it would take to move up that far in the draft just take a look at the Atlanta trade for Julio Jones last season.  For the 6th pick the Falcons traded their 1st (27th ironically enough), 2nd, and 4th last year and a 1st and 4th this year.  The way the Patriots build I can't see them having any interest in a move like this, unless as someone else said he is the second coming of the original LT. I think the more realistic answer is that there may be a slight movement up or down with the 27th pick and trying to trade the 31st into a second and future 1st.  I'm still rooting for Fletcher Cox with the first.  Since I have a 0% rating of getting BB picks correct take him off your board.   I know Alshon Jefferey has all kinds of warts but could he be a value in the mid to late second?  I watched a lot of SC this year and their QB situation was atrocious.  Garcia was terrible and when he finally got thrown off the team the frosh they brought in was worse.  Jefferey was arguably top 15 talent going into the season.  Just his size and speed combo plus his ability to catch the ball in traffic seem ideal for one on one coverage on the outside.  Maybe going to a successful team with a strong locker room would help a guy like him.  He showed up at the combine at the right weight, but people think he didn't do drills because he had no energy due to the quick weight loss.  Or is this guy right off the draft list?
    Posted by paularnold

...all for a WR? Never in a million years would I, if it were up to me.

There hasn't been a WR taken in the top 10 in over a decade that has won a superbowl with the team that has drafted them.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Pats7393, I like you thinking. We are 2 stud D-lineman away and one Backer from being able to run the 3-4 again and can get back to playing 3-4 and 4-3 effectly on any given week.

Our SB's years are ones when we had our 3 first round picks on the line.

Putting a bunch of scrubs in there with Wilfork is not working and is wearing him down and making him ineffective IMO. His real Value is when he has players on each side of him.

Not washed up Ellis, or too old Warren, or too average Deaderick...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Faucet, I also believe the Pats will go into free agency with an emphasis on S and CB as well as Wr. Theres no safeties available in this draft to help right away in my opinon and our secondary need right away help.

IF we get our S, CB, and WR beforehand, we can go for more safer picks like D-lineman, Center, OLB, and still get another CB and S, but take them late and see if you find a sleeper.

I would also find a cheap fix in free agency for our 3d TE who could be just a blocker or resign Polite to fill that role

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Maybe a little high on Bequette, but that'd be an awesome class.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

Might be but late 3rd too late, he's go within 20 picks of this spot IMO.  I had to get on a call couldn't get to deep with trades lol

Think this calls with a few FAs puts the Pats over the edge.

Sections
Shortcuts