***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I didn't find that to be the case too often. Seems to me he is very versatile. played all over the line, inside, outside. Pass rushed form inside as well as around the end outside. While inside he was obviously asked to shoot gaps at times while other times it looks like he fires off the line stands his guy up and then finds the ball. Obviously no game is perfect.  A few where he didn't get low and win the battle, a couple OG's (on ground), over pursued down the line on one, but very few penetrate with head down and guy runs right by you type plays which is very common in these videos of DL's. Had some TFL's and consistently around the ball.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]

Man I just watched it again, making sure I didn't miss something.

There are plays where he gets skinny and shots up the whole but saw a lot of him on the ground.  A very bad spin move, he's engaged with an OL and tries to spin.  In NFL that spin will land you on your azz.
    Saw him engaged and not able to get of a block, like the pursuit and motor. He doesn't stop when he has shot on the play.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Guys with astericks are simply guys who I want to look into since they were good athletes in shorts at the combine but didn't know much about.

DL\LB
    Fletcher Cox
    Dontari Poe
    Kendal Reyes
    Mike Martin
    Derek Wolfe
    Donta Hightower
    Whitney Mercilus
    Andre Branch
    Shea McClellin
    Cam Johnson
    Ronnell Lewis
    Malik Jackson
    Jake Bequette
    Tank Carder
    Jaye Howard*
    Oliver Vernon*
    Mychal Kendricks*
    Bruce Irvin*
    Demario Davis*
    James-Michael Johnson*

CB/S
    Stephen Gilmore
    Jammel Flemming
    Casey Hayward
    Chase Minifield
    Dwight Bentley
    Jayron Hosley
    Brandon Boykin
    Josh Robinson*
    Mark Barron
    Harrison Smith
    Trumaine Johnson

WR/TE
    Rueben Randle
    Marvin Jones
    Chris Givens
    Jarius Wright
    Danny Coale
    Devon Wylie
    Stephen Hill
    Marvin McNutt
    Joe Adams
    Juron Criner
    Brian Quick
    Greg Childs
    Junior Hemingway*
    Ladarius Green

RB (maybe someone late?)
    Robert Turbin
    Isaiah Pead
    Ronnie Hillman

OT/OG/C (I didn't see much of this group)
    Cordy Glenn
    Kevin Zietler
    Ben Jones
    Brandon Washington
    Nate Potter
    Bobbie Massie
    David Molk
    Phillip Blake
    Mitchell Schwartz
    Amini Silatolu
    Ryan Miller
    Quinton Saulsberry
    James Brown

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : The only issue I have with Barron is that he's to similar to Chung. Now if they plan on moving McCourty to FS then I'd be fine with it but I don't want a FS/CB hybrid in the backfield more then a SS that can play FS. We really need a ball hawk who can patrol the deep part of the field and make plays from sideline to sideline
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

thats how i started my draft analysis re safety.
    barron to me would be a chung upgrade.
    fine if you pick him for that.
    fs is the greater need at this point

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from speedster81. Show speedster81's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Two views on this kid, first practical from a Pats 34 D.  He's a light 245 and plays like that weight.  IMO he won't set the edge against the run.  A team like Atlanta, Tampa who run a 43 type D who look for OLBs with speed I think would fit him better. For a character concern, takes a lot to come from where this kid comes from.  He started out in JC because he dropped out of high school then went and got his GED.  He has gotten himself in a better place so I hope what ever he did to get into the right frame of mine keeps going.
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

Hey Pats,

At 6-3 and 245 he has comparable size to Clay Matthews coming out of USC. He is exactly the same size as Von Miller who Denver uses a a 4-3 DE when playing nickel. He weighs the same as Pittsburgh OLB James Harrison and at 6-3 has even more length than he does. As earlier menioned, he played all of 2011 as a 5 technique and thus has plenty experience tangling in a phone booth with guards and tackles. Playing as a weak side 3-4 OLB where he is lined up away from the tight end would be a walk in the park by comparison. Most of us were pretty excited about Clay Matthews, yet here is a guy with more college production, similar size and better measurables yet he is flying under the radar. With a year under a strength program, he has a frame that could easily add 5-10 pounds if needed. He is currently the guy Im hoping we pick with our first 2nd round pick. I wouldnt mind if they doubled up with Mclellin at 63.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from I sat on your toilet. Show I sat on your toilet's posts

I'm really liking Harrison Smith right now. He was talking in an interview about how he played both O and D and he likes D better because he wants to be the hunter. He then went on to say about winning teamates respect with leading by example. To top it off he had a good day with the drills.

Another guy is Asa Jackson from Cal Poly. I thought he looked good in drills. He's 5'10 190, 4.49 40, 19 bench reps, 6.97 cone. I don't know too much else about him other than he is supposed to be a day 3 pick.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I don't think I'm over-analyzing Mercilus, just going by what my eyes tell me.  It was also posted a few pages back that he got a 3rd round grade from the NFL Draft Advisory Board (link below), so it doesn't appear that I'm that off.  I just don't think he's worth of a Rd 1 pick as a 34 OLB. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/27/whitney-mercilus-shows-off-his-quick-first-step/
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]
    I personally favor Branch in our 31 range.  I think Clemson has a better program/little tougher competition.  He had 4 sacks against Virgina Tech.  That's a pretty good team.  Branch also looked really fluid to me in the Combine drills.  

What do you think of Branch Mb? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Build like MJD, run like Spikes on a bad ankle with a anvil attached to me and a little old for the NFL  5'7" 218lbs LOL
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon[/QUOTE]
    Ah, you got that barrel chest and short arms, good for the bench.  I'm 6-3 with long arms but 282, but I look closer to 260:).  It's been a few months since I threw back 12 at 225.  Did 4 at 290 last summer, 1 at 335. 

Gotta get back to the gym, been biking lately trying to get ready for the Tour de France next year.  Going to try and place in the "Beer Belly, Folically Challenged, Nearing 50, One Quarter with Cheese and Large Fry Short of a Quad By-Pass, Fat Man Division, next summer."  As far as running, Rich Eisen, the Hasidic Assassin, would kill me in a 40 now.  Two knee scopes and no cartilage left.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]PatsEng I couldn't agree more about your thoughts on the combine.  A good or bad showing will get the talent evaluators to probably take a closer look at the tape.  I thought Brockers was moving up from a late 1st rounder more based on what he was expected to do at the combine than what he showed on the field.  I did think the combine showed the athleticism at the 3-4 DE and OLB positions which is very good for the Pats.
    Posted by paularnold[/QUOTE]
    I also agree.  I think teams will go back and look at Brocker's tape.  I think Cox and Reyes really helped themselves.  I hope not too much.  I could see Brockers and Still possibly coming back into the discussion.  We could see 5-6 DTs taken in the first round with Poe, Brockers, Still, Cox, Worthy, Thompson and Reyes.  That's 7!! 

Mike Martin is a flat out stud too.  He's gives his all every play.  I thought he looked really good in the drills too.  I've seen him mocked in the late 3rd.  He'd certainly be an upgrade over Pryor in that nickel DT role.  The Michigan connection won't hurt either.  Then we have Wolfe, Ta'amu, Randall and I'm leaving a couple more out.

The Faucet Rule states if you have a chance to draft several DL studs, you do it.  Actually, maybe that's someone else's rule.  I heard it recently.  Actually I think it was Lombardi.  Outside of DL, the rest of our needs could be met in Free Agency.  There aren't really any studs out there this year, except Williams.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I'm not saying Trent Richardson is the best player in the draft, but I think he's the only player in the draft that had he been on our roster during the Super Bowl, we win that game. This guy looks like he's going to come in and help a team out right away and dramatically change their offense.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]I'm not saying Trent Richardson is the best player in the draft, but I think he's the only player in the draft that had he been on our roster during the Super Bowl, we win that game. This guy looks like he's going to come in and help a team out right away and dramatically change their offense.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]
    He won't get past CIN at 17 but should be gone much sooner.  Point taken though, if we could have run the ball up 9 in the 2nd half, we should have been able to close the deal.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

of course if we had richardson, oh hell. who would want to play us.
    and stud dl faucet, yes imagine if we had 2 more stud dl.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Actually they do teach forcing fumbles. BB has whole drills built around forcing fumbles. There are whole schemes built to provide more opportunities to force fumbles (ie standing a player up instead of tackling to let other players come in a lay a hit on the ball or rip it out)
    That is so correct!  Even back to the Raymond Berry teams, it was a drill. If you remember we had a lot of strip fumbles vs Jets and Raiders ( if i rememeber right 2 for TDs) and yeah we got one vs the bears in SB XX on thier first play...but that was the only high light.  The last decade has helped put that one back in the memory archives.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : You aren't the only one. I haven't seen much in Couples all year and honestly was more excited about Ingram. Actually come to think of it I don't recall anyone in this thread giving more then a couple of sentences to Couples all year. Yeah I don't think there are many high on this kid around here

during the season, i was monitoring walterfootball where three unc guys were so highly rated...
    coples
    d jones
    brown

so i did take time to watch a few unc games. as always, i only have time to watch a quarter or two. i just could not see what the buzz was all about. 
    i saw brown being fast, but did not think he was tackling great. 
    i saw jones just drop a pass or two; prematurely give up on a long ball
    i saw games where coples was invisible. 

really, i sometimes feel like i jinx these prospects when i try to watch them.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]I finished watching most of the drills last night and one player stuck out to me as a potential late round steal, Oliver Vernon He honestly shouldn't have come out this year. ..

caught my eye too.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I think Minnifield is DNP as well

if there's one cb i do not want.. it's minnifield. maybe i am to harsh on him but is aw him read a play at the end zone yet did not see him give extra effort to prevent a td. it's like the opposite reaction to a play similar to sterling moore's. minnifield just watched because he "thought" the receiver was about a yard out of reach. imagine if moore thought that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Washington is not a deep throw type QB, he's average at best.  He runs excellent but doesn't throw very well.  Washington is very dangerous with ball in hand running but not throwing it. Reason I like Hill is because even if he can only run a 9 route or a post type routes he couldn't run top speed because in 2 seconds (I'm not exaggerating) he was passed his QB's range or QB took off running before Hill could get over top of DBs.

i agree completely

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]I think Reiss says it the best with this question: I'm a diehard Saints fan, but I'm a bigger football fan and I enjoy watching other successful teams and seeing how they operate. My question is about the deep threat that the Patriots supposedly need. They finished third in points scored and  Tom Brady threw for the second-most yards all time in a single season. They have two of the top six tight ends in the league and in my opinion the best slot receiver in the league. Why do they need the deep threat so badly? If I was Belichick, I would use his first six picks on pass rushers, corner or safety, and a running back. Do you really think you need to spend a high draft pick on someone whose main specialty is to run a 9 route or a deep post? -- Chris (Philadelphia) A.  Nice to have an outside perspective, Chris, so thanks for chiming in. There is no denying the production, and you lay it out there nicely. I think it comes down to the desire of being able to attack and have defenses respect all three levels of the field with diverse targets. In my view, it's not so much a deep threat that the Patriots need, but an outside-the-numbers presence that the opposition has to respect so it can't focus so much on the other weapons. It's just adding another layer to defend. It sort of reminds me of the Bill Belichick documentary in which Belichick is meeting with his coaching staff and explaining that if defenses play over the top of  Randy Moss  and clamp down on Wes Welker, the offense has little else to get it going.

sometimes too, i feel that even when the pats go on spread, the opposing d always anticipates the pass to go between numbers anyway. for that opposing d, it works against the pass as well as against the run.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]...Hearing some scouts say they only have 25/26 1st round grades on players this year at the moment.

that's what i thought 2/3 of the way into the season. i think the top 7 talent is as exciting as in any other draft. from there, you have about 15 decent first rounders. and then maybe 10 debatable rnd 1-2 type guys. 

i consider this class' DL to compare poorly vs last year's. 

WR receiver has arguably a handful of first rounders. after that the number of WRs who could have been picked in the 2nd or 3rd round in previous years is more than will be picked in the 2nd and 3rd rnds. there will be very good WRs in the fourth.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]I certainly smell a trade up or trade back from the Pats. Hearing some scouts say they only have 25/26 1st round grades on players this year at the moment.

I don't know, if that's the cast which I might not agree right now then BB sits where he likes.  Ability to trade both of those 1st rounders, land a 2013 1st and multiple 2nd rounds this year and later rounds.

The value is there with blue chip type players like Reyes, Branch, Jones and a list of other solid 2nd round.  DL all the way to 4th round you can get solid starter.  

I think he trades down and stocks on guys who can make a difference and set up some picks in later rounds and future drafts.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I'm trying to figure out which players are absolute locks to be picked before pick 27.  Here's what I've come up with in no particular order...Luck, Griffin, Kalil, Coples, Claiborne, Blackmon, Reiff, Kirkpatrick, Decastro, Keuchly, Richardson, Upshaw, Johnathan Martin, Floyd, and Ingram.  That's 15 guys that I think are locks to go before NE.  What do you guys think?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]I'm trying to figure out which players are absolute locks to be picked before pick 27.  Here's what I've come up with in no particular order...Luck, Griffin, Kalil, Coples, Claiborne, Blackmon, Reiff, Kirkpatrick, Decastro, Keuchly, Richardson, Upshaw, Johnathan Martin, Floyd, and Ingram.  That's 15 guys that I think are locks to go before NE.  What do you guys think?
    Posted by WazzuWheatfarmer[/QUOTE]

Tannehill QB
    Brockers DT/DE
    Glenn OT/OG
    K. Wright WR
    Still DT
    Konz OC/OG
    Barron S
    Poe DT/NT
    Perry DE/OLB
    Hightower LB (think Steelers might take him, Poe to Chargers/Jets/Houston)
    Worthy DT
    Jenkins CB

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Change pick 48 from Martin to Smith FS and 31 from Gilmore to Andre Branch and this is the draft.

So this mock is not too accurate I believe but with my changes:

27 Brockers DE/DT
    31 Branch DE/OLB
    48 Smith FS
    63 Osemele OG/OT
    94 Bequette DE/OLB
    126 J. Wright WR

Mock is very unrealistic with some of the 1st round talent falling to 2nd round but that mock for Pats I think would be solid.  In Branch get speed rusher with Bequette as jack of all trades (a la Vrable) OLB.  Brockers starts at DE for 10 years, Smith at FS will be a play maker and Osemele a mauler inside.  Wright stretches the field.  I like it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Interesting little side note...

Josh Robinson who ran Combine's fastest 40 (4.33), had picked UCF over MICH. Primary recruiter was George Godsey, now a NE Pats asst.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sydpat. Show sydpat's posts

Faucet

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sydpat. Show sydpat's posts

Faucet

Read an article by Damien Jarrett (PatsFans.com)about trading Welker.

Now before everybody panics ......read the article.

The summary is we tag Welker, trade him away, sign Mario Williams long term and get another on the defensive front with the added draft pick. Sign Branch , get Lloyd,Wayne or Meachem and draft a good receiver.

Reckons it is a tough business decision, better in the long run for the Pats no matter how heavy the hearts would be.

It is a pretty detailed report.