***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!:
    In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I think our views are similar then.  In looking at everything, we have done far more on the offensive side of the ball in F/A than on the defensive side; 6 potential keepers on offense vs. 3 on defense.  I wonder what would happen if both Light and Waters retire?  We are supposedly at $9.5MM under the cap and those guys retiring would put us $16.75MM under.  But I digress... A case should be made that we go defense with our first 4 picks and 5 of 6 assuming we use them all.  I think we can go to war with our offense as currently constituted but we clearly have multiple needs in the secondary, 1-2 needs at OLB and 1 at DT/DE.  We may ultimately bring back Carter if he's fully recovered by August.  But, I'd still argue for a 43 DT or a 34 DE in the draft.  I don't like Brace and Cunningham, never did.  Hated both picks at the time and still do.  I too would prefer to see a defense heavy draft, particularly with the first (4) picks.   Could still see them coming out of Rd 3 and 4 with some combo of a WR/OL/RB. If they go O-skill high, Doug Martin, Alshon Jeffery and Rueben Randle are still on top of my board in Rd 2. So, how do we fix our secondary?  McCourty to FS?  Alright, then who starts at CB, Arrington and Dowling with Moore or Allen as the nickel?  Do we draft a CB?  If so where and who?  Gilmore, Jenkins, Hosley, Robinson? Personally, I think they’d prefer to keep McCourty at CB, start him opposite Dowling with Aarington/Moore getting the first opps in nickel/dime etc., but his experience at FS could give them more flexibility in the draft.   Having both McCourty and Gregory getting regular reps back there could leave them a bit short on size at the S position though. I think they take atleast one DB between Day 1 / 2. Do we draft a 34 DE?  Worthy, Reyes and Still are the only guys I see potentially being there at 27/31.  But there are a bunch of 43 interior types that could be had later on. Would make sense to, assuming the talent is there.   I could also see them having interest in Cox/Brockers assuming one of them is on the board in the early 20’s.   Still has more upside/natural ability than Reyes, but Reyes has a more consistent motor etc. What do we do about OLB opposite Ninko?  We can't be pinning our hopes on Scott and Cunningham. Would still like to see a young 34 OLB or two brought in (McClellin/Curry/Johnson etc.).
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

No arguments here.  But I don't think we can address FS in the draft with anyone who could actually step in the first year and improve us unless we got our hands on Barron.  I do think Harrison Smith could potentially see the field.

I tend to agree with you that McCourty should stay at CB if possible.  I'm hoping last year was a sophomore jinx and he will rebound this year. 

As for DL, I actually had the same idea.  Why not move up to get Cox if he comes into range?  A potential trading partner could be the Eagles.  They are sitting at 15 and need an OT.  If the top 3 are gone, they could perhaps get Adams at 27 and we could move up to 15 for Cox.  The trading chart can be pretty much thrown out now so not sure what it would take to get up there, hopefully just our 2nd and maybe throw Hoyer in for good measure.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Actually, I wouldn't have a major problem if we did this.

ESPN's eight reporters who cover the NFL's eight divisions team up for their "blog network" mock draft. James Walker, who has the AFC East blanketed, plays the role of Bill Belichick and makes the Patriots' selections.

Clemson defensive end/outside linebacker Andre Branch is the pick at No. 27.
    "The Patriots need athleticism on defense and the ability to rush the passer from the outside," Walker writes. "Branch can help replace the combined 20 sacks New England lost this offseason with the departures of DEs Mark Anderson and Andre Carter."

Then, at No. 31, Walker rolls the dice with cornerback Janoris Jenkins.
    "Jenkins comes with some character concerns. But New England's strong locker-room leadership will make sure it gets the best out of Jenkins, who has the physical ability to develop into a legit No. 1 corner," Walker writes.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I still hold out hope that we add some talent, other than Carter, like Bell, who I have been screaming for for 2 weeks now. If the draft were to happen today, with ZERO changes to the roster, and NO trading around (yeah right) here are 3 directions I would go in first 3 rounds from best case to least: BEST 27 - Barron 31 - Still or Reyes 48 - Jenkins 63 - McClellin 95 - Crick, Winn or Wolfe GOOD 27 - Upshaw or Cox 31 - Gilmore or Jenkins 48 - Curry/McClellin/Branch (if Cox) or Worthy (if Upshaw) 63 - Iloka or Johnson 95 - Crick, Winn or Wolfe WORST 27 - Reyes or Worthy 31 - McClellin 48 - Robinson, Boykin or Hosley 63 - Iloka or Johnson 95 - Kheeston Randall I really want to see all defense all the time, and obviously I like McClellin, maybe the next Bruschi/Vrabel as well as multiple CB's and DE/DT types I'm pretty sure rd 4 can be a C (if Waters and Light are back) like Jones, Molk or Blake or if we need help at G/T b/c or retirement a guy like Nate Potter RB remains an issue but I'd rather try to solve it in May/June when more cuts are on the board or  and we can trade a future 1st (Forte) or 2nd (Stewart) instead of having to use picks from this year
    Posted by rameakap

These are certainly some fine options.  Let me take a crack at it.

27.  Cox
    31.  Branch
    48.  Randle
    62.  H. Smith
    94.  M. Martin
    4th  Rainey

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Actually, I wouldn't have a major problem if we did this. ESPN's eight reporters who cover the NFL's eight divisions team up for their "blog network" mock draft. James Walker, who has the AFC East blanketed, plays the role of Bill Belichick and makes the Patriots' selections. Clemson defensive end/outside linebacker Andre Branch is the pick at No. 27. "The Patriots need athleticism on defense and the ability to rush the passer from the outside," Walker writes. "Branch can help replace the combined 20 sacks New England lost this offseason with the departures of DEs Mark Anderson and Andre Carter." Then, at No. 31, Walker rolls the dice with cornerback Janoris Jenkins. "Jenkins comes with some character concerns. But New England's strong locker-room leadership will make sure it gets the best out of Jenkins, who has the physical ability to develop into a legit No. 1 corner," Walker writes.
    Posted by Faucetman

Any idea as to who else was on the board at 27 & 31 for their mock?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Amen to that.  I mean there's been some day 1/2 talent sprinkled in during the BB years (Klemm/Light/Mankins/Vollmer/Solder etc.), but yes, he's done an excellent job of developing/incorporating late round/URFA type players.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

There are 1/2 talent sprinkled in there, but he seems to do well with just about anyone we bring in.  Neal comes to mind when I think of what he's done.  Did he only wrestle in college?

Our DB Coach has been pretty good too.  Who is it Corwin Brown?  Seeing how little he's had to work with (no namers and WRs), he's pretty impressive too, no?  

So, I'm not thinking that BB will be spending any of the tops picks at this position (especially since Ras-I Dowling will be coming back).  I don't see WR either.  Or QB, or TE, or RB either.

I'm thinking that BB trades out or up and we end up with a front 7 guy or two.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Any idea as to who else was on the board at 27 & 31 for their mock?
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

Sure,
    Big Board Bar

Analysis: They look at Luck and see a young guy who reminds them of the quarterback the franchise selected first overall in 1998. (Paul Kuharsky)

Analysis: Not much mystery here. The Redskins traded three first-round picks and a second-round pick to get to this spot, from which they believe they're taking their next franchise quarterback. The only way they don't take Griffin here is if the Colts take him, in which case the Redskins will happily take Luck. (Dan Graziano)

OT
    6-6

Analysis: The Vikings would love to trade down a few spots, presumably with a team that wants to draft Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill. But barring a deal, Kalil is the best player remaining on the board and the Vikings just so happen to need a long-term starter at left tackle. We're not buying (yet) any of general manager Rick Spielman's posturing about LSU cornerback Morris Claiborne. (Kevin Seifert)

Analysis: Not buying the speculation that the Browns will take Texas A&M QB Ryan Tannehill here. The Browns tipped their hand when coach Pat Shurmur and general manager Tom Heckert skipped Tannehill's pro day to watch Richardson, the draft's only elite running back who can be the centerpiece of Cleveland's offense. (Jamison Hensley)

Analysis: The Bucs could be considering Richardson and he's a possibility if he stays on the board. But Claiborne is the top cornerback in this draft. The Bucs need a long-term replacement for veteran Ronde Barber and could need a short-term replacement for Aqib Talib, who could face prison time or a league suspension. (Pat Yasinskas)

Analysis: The Rams are eager to find weapons for quarterback Sam Bradford. They had a tough time addressing that area during free agency despite an aggressive approach that led to deals with Cortland Finnegan, Scott Wells and others. The last time the Rams drafted a WR sixth overall, they landed Torry Holt. (Mike Sando)

Analysis: If he catches on quickly and can have an impact as a pass-rusher, Ingram can be the final piece for a very good defense. (Paul Kuharsky)

Analysis: Tannehill shot up the draft boards fast and may be a tad overrated at No. 8. But Miami needs a quarterback of the future in the worst way, and this is the best of what's left. Both Matt Moore and David Garrard have one year left on their contracts, leaving it open for Tannehill to take over in 2013. (James Walker)

LB
    6-3

Analysis: There's a common assumption the Panthers are locked in on getting a defensive tackle. That could end up happening. But they're open to all options and Kuechly might be the best player available. This team needs help anywhere it can add it on defense. (Pat Yasinskas)

10. Riley Reiff
    OT
    6-5

Analysis: Going receiver here is the sexy pick. But getting an offensive tackle to protect QB Ryan Fitzpatrick's blind side is the smart pick. Reiff received great coaching at Iowa, which has become Offensive Tackle U. He closes Buffalo's revolving door at left tackle for the foreseeable future. (James Walker)

Analysis: The Chiefs would be thrilled to see Poe on the board at 11. He is the best player available who fits their biggest need. Poe has a chance to be a dynamic player on a defense full of young talent. (Bill Williamson)

Analysis: The Seahawks ranked fifth in takeaways, seventh in points allowed and ninth in yards allowed last season, but their pass rush was lacking. Coples would give them a badly needed pass-rusher opposite Chris Clemons, who had 11 of the team's 33 sacks during the 2011 season. Linebacker is another need position. (Mike Sando)

Analysis: The Cardinals could also use an offensive tackle and possibly another receiver. Michael Floyd was a consideration here. But in Upshaw, the team would be targeting a potential No. 1 pass-rusher, providing welcome support for promising youngsters Sam Acho and O'Brien Schofield. The Cardinals have no second-round pick, and pass-rush help is at a premium. (Mike Sando)

Analysis: They were hoping Upshaw would fall to them, as he'd upgrade the pass rush instantly and could make Anthony Spencer expendable before long. But with Upshaw gone one pick before, the Cowboys stick with the national champs and take a safety to upgrade their biggest 2011 weakness: the secondary. (Dan Graziano)

Analysis: Michael Brockers was tempting, but the pick here is Cox because he provides a pass rush from the interior of the defensive line right away and could be more NFL-ready than Brockers at this point. The Eagles are a win-now team that relies on its defensive line to pressure the passer, and Cox fits nicely into their interior line rotation. (Dan Graziano)

Analysis: The Jets would like to go defense here under head coach Rex Ryan. But with Alabama DE/OLB Courtney Upshaw and safety Mark Barron both off the board, drafting Floyd is a good fallback option. Floyd has a chance to start from Day 1 opposite Santonio Holmes and gives quarterback Mark Sanchez a much-needed weapon. (James Walker)

Analysis: The Bengals need a starting right guard, and DeCastro is the best guard in the draft. Smart and fundamentally sound, DeCastro is one of the safest picks this year and would extend the Bengals' recent good fortune in the draft. (Jamison Hensley)

Analysis: Mercilus is the best pass-rusher on the board at No. 18 and the Chargers would be happy to take him. He could be a slight over-draft, but he has big league potential. (Bill Williamson)

Analysis: Coach Lovie Smith expressed confidence last week in left tackle J'Marcus Webb, but rarely will you hear a coach say otherwise until he has an upgraded replacement. Webb was penalized 15 times last season and gave up 12 sacks, according to Pro Football Focus. Martin would provide an upgrade at a key position. (Kevin Seifert)

Analysis: They can go many different directions, but Kamerion Wimbley doesn't solve their pass-rush issues by himself, and Perry can help. (Paul Kuharsky)

Analysis: Cincinnati has done a great job in bolstering the depth at cornerback in free agency, signing Jason Allen and Adam Jones. But the Bengals, who eventually need to replace veteran Nate Clements, can't pass on the second-best cornerback falling into their laps. (Jamison Hensley)

Analysis: The Browns need speed and a deep threat. Look no further than Hill, who averaged 29.3 yards per catch last season (albeit 28 receptions) and ran faster than Baylor's Kendall Wright at the NFL combine. (Jamison Hensley)

Analysis: ESPN.com colleagues chose Gilmore in my absence based on an obvious need the Lions have at cornerback. Starter Eric Wright departed via free agency, and the Lions' pass defense collapsed in the second half of 2011. General manager Martin Mayhew doesn't draft for need, but Gilmore would address a big one. (Kevin Seifert)

Analysis: Inside linebacker is a big need for the Steelers after they released James Farrior. Hightower excelled in Alabama's 3-4 defense and was the unquestioned leader on the nation's top defense. Seems like a perfect fit. (Jamison Hensley)

Analysis: The Broncos would gladly snag Brockers. Defensive tackle is, by far, their most pressing need, and the versatile Brockers is a good value at No. 25. (Bill Williamson)

Analysis: Randle's size will make him a nice target for Matt Schaub and the Texans, and he brings a lot of upside to an offense that's already quite good. (Paul Kuharsky)

Analysis: The Patriots need athleticism on defense and the ability to rush the passer from the outside. Branch can help replace the combined 20 sacks New England lost this offseason with the departures of DEs Mark Anderson and Andre Carter. (James Walker)

Analysis: In my absence, ESPN.com colleagues chose Konz, the draft's top center, knowing that veteran Jeff Saturday is likely a one-year bridge from departed starter Scott Wells. General manager Ted Thompson will almost certainly draft a center, but he might wait until a later round knowing he has 2012 insurance in Saturday. (Kevin Seifert)

Analysis: The Ravens have a history of top prospects falling to them in the first round. Their luck would continue with Glenn, an athletic and versatile blocker who would start immediately at left guard. (Jamison Hensley)

Analysis: Receiver was the team's obvious top need heading into free agency. Adding Randy Moss and Mario Manningham bought some flexibility, but Moss represents a short-term investment. The 49ers could use another young receiver to grow with Alex Smith and, eventually, Colin Kaepernick. (Mike Sando)

CB
    5-10
    N. Alabama

Analysis: The Patriots were surprised such a top-end talent is available at No. 31. Sure, Jenkins comes with some character concerns. But New England's strong locker-room leadership will make sure it gets the best out of Jenkins, who has the physical ability to develop into a legit No. 1 corner. (James Walker)

OT
    6-7

Analysis: This was a tough call, because Syracuse defensive end Chandler Jones just looks so much like a Giants pick. He's a super-athletic, high-upside pass-rusher from Tom Coughlin's alma mater. I mean, if Adams weren't on the board, this would have been a slam dunk. And the Giants still could go this way, or with Nebraska LB Lavonte David or Stanford TE Coby Fleener. But there's nothing wrong with Adams' upside potential, either. He becomes the Giants' starting right tackle right away, and if Will Beatty doesn't pan out, Adams has the ability to someday play on the left side. (Dan Graziano)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

If Brockers is on the board heading into the 20s I sure hope we go up and get him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

What's the consensus here on brockers ? Is he worth it and worth a trade up from say 27 to 20 or so?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

What's the consensus here on brockers ? Is he worth it and worth a trade up from say 27 to 20 or so?
    Posted by PatsLifer

To me he is.  I'd give up 62 and 27 to get him.  He has a lot of upside.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : To me he is.  I'd give up 62 and 27 to get him.  He has a lot of upside.
    Posted by Faucetman

It really seems like the cream of the crop is rising.  The majority of the players that I'm interested in seem to be getting locked in the top 25.  Just out of reach.  I really hope that we either package both 1sts to get up in to the 12-13 range to grab Coples, Upshaw, or Brockers.  

We have the depth after trading back into the 2nd for the past 5 years.  Now is the time to move up and snag a star player.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

RE: Brockers.

I'm a fan, not a finished product, but the length, motor (upfield and in pursuit) and upside is there... he also has ST value.  If he plays with good pad level/base, he's tough to handle... kid has strong, active hands, can stack and shed and can split/eat the double.  IMO, if Barron and Cox are off the board and Brockers is there in the 20's, I think he's worth the move up.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

Copy from another thread

I go with the Pat Kirwin mock of last Friday for round 1

RD 1 Pats trade 27 and 31 and go up ( I forgot where  St Lous  ?) and take Coples DE

Rd 2    48 McClellin OLB
                63 Josh Robinson CB  (Central Floida  .. asante samuel?). this is really a hope and a prayer.
                   ALT:OT Zebrie  Sanders or Bob Massie  one should drop

MB   what is the report on Nick Toon good size, good speed , good blood lines ( concussions aren't genetic!)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

One thing is for sure, there will be a player we don't expect to be there to be there.  I think Upshaw could be a lock to be there at 27 now.  Konz appears to be free falling to the later part of the 1st round.  I've even seen some mocks that suggest Jonathan Martin could be there although I think those were before the Eagles lost Jason Peters for the season. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Copy from another thread I go with the Pat Kirwin mock of last Friday for round 1 RD 1 Pats trade 27 and 31 and go up ( I forgot where  St Lous  ?) and take Coples DE Rd 2    48 McClellin OLB             63 Josh Robinson CB  (Central Floida  .. asante samuel?). this is really a hope and a prayer.                ALT:OT Zebrie  Sanders or Bob Massie  one should drop   MB   what is the report on Nick Toon good size, good speed , good blood lines ( concussions aren't genetic!)
    Posted by mgraham

mg,
    Toon projects as a mid-round possession guy, IMO... has decent straightline speed and good hands, but isn't overly sudden and doesn't seem to offer much after the catch.  I prefer Marvin Jones, Greg Childs and Marvin McNutt as bigger WR's in the middle rounds at this point.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

One thing is for sure, there will be a player we don't expect to be there to be there.  I think Upshaw could be a lock to be there at 27 now.  Konz appears to be free falling to the later part of the 1st round.  I've even seen some mocks that suggest Jonathan Martin could be there although I think those were before the Eagles lost Jason Peters for the season. 
    Posted by Faucetman

Konz has always been in the latter part of rd 1, or the begining of round 2.  I agree that Martin has been falling lately, but I seriously doubt Upshaw would drop that far.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

No doubt there is upside with brockers. Kid is still young and developing. I would do a move up to 20 for him MB...do you think cox comes off the board before brockers? I like pat kirwin, but no way I move up for coples with both firsts. I can't see BB doing that unless the kid is ultra special, and coples to me is good, but not that kid. I too have seen konz mocked quite a few times in round 2. I honestly can't see upshaw falling to 27. If he or Hightower are there at Pitt's pick, I think upshaw fits their lb mold almost to a T. I,haven't seen any mention of Spikes knee surgery on this post, meaning, is drafting an ILB importantmthismyear as well?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

... but no way I move up for coples with both firsts.  ...
    Posted by PatsLifer

oh thank you for saying that. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I love this mock that was recently posted on nepatriotsdraft.com.  I kind of feel like our 2 late firsts are in no-mans-land as far as likely talent available, so I love the trade-up idea this year.

Trade 27 & 31 to AZ for #13 & a 5th
    #13 Fletcher Cox
    #48 Jayron Hosley
    #62 Shea McClellin
    #94 Ron Brooks
    4th Rnd Greg Childs
    5th Rnd Tom Compton; OT South Dakota

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : oh thank you for saying that. 
    Posted by seattlepat70

sure it wasnt nepats,com suggesting moving up with 2 picks for coples? they had that up next week. havent checked kirwan lately.

cox is looking to go before brockers in many mocks and often a top 10 or 15 pick.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

interesting...

yesterday on the espn draft machine mclellin was listed on the second page of the board. today, he's on the board, basically jumping something like forty plus spots. has his stock been shooting up? 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to "Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!":
    What would people rather have? option 1: Harrison Smith and Chase Minnifield option 2: Josh Robinson, George Iloka/Trumaine Johnson, an extra 4th/5th Posted by rameakap
    I like option 2.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I love this mock that was recently posted on nepatriotsdraft.com.  I kind of feel like our 2 late firsts are in no-mans-land as far as likely talent available, so I love the trade-up idea this year. Trade 27 & 31 to AZ for #13 & a 5th #13 Fletcher Cox #48 Jayron Hosley #62 Shea McClellin #94 Ron Brooks 4th Rnd Greg Childs 5th Rnd Tom Compton; OT South Dakota Posted by WazzuWheatfarmer
    Interesting, but again...is cox worth 2 firsts? Cox is one of my favorites DT this year, but I am not even sure, like coples, he is worth the trade up that high where we are using both firsts. In fact, I can't think of a player this year that is worth 2 firsts from my POV unless maybe we were in the market for a franchise QB and were cashing all our chips in to go get Luck. Also, I don't think McClellin lasts until pick 62. I would swap 48 and 62.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

interesting... yesterday on the espn draft machine mclellin was listed on the second page of the board. today, he's on the board, basically jumping something like forty plus spots. has his stock been shooting up?  Posted by seattlepat70
    I definitely think he has been one of the risers so far. As of late, I have seen him going anywhere from 31-62, which is a big spread. Personally, I think he is a day 2 kid that will go off the board in the 40-55 range. Just my 2 cents. MB and crew probably have a better feel than me for where he will most likely go. He is someone I want the pats to get.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I love this mock that was recently posted on nepatriotsdraft.com.  I kind of feel like our 2 late firsts are in no-mans-land as far as likely talent available, so I love the trade-up idea this year. Trade 27 & 31 to AZ for #13 & a 5th #13 Fletcher Cox #48 Jayron Hosley #62 Shea McClellin #94 Ron Brooks 4th Rnd Greg Childs 5th Rnd Tom Compton; OT South Dakota Posted by WazzuWheatfarmer
    If you read everything this year on where the talent is in this draft you are probably right. However, BB' MO would be to trade both first out or down rather than the other way. The rookie pay scale however might change that, and we seem to have freed up plenty of cap space even with the new pay scale to go up high and grab someone at 13 or so. But my question still is around Cox... what is the consensus here guys.....is cox worth both our firsts?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to "Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!": If you read everything this year on where the talent is in this draft you are probably right. However, BB' MO would be to trade both first out or down rather than the other way. The rookie pay scale however might change that, and we seem to have freed up plenty of cap space even with the new pay scale to go up high and grab someone at 13 or so. But my question still is around Cox... what is the consensus here guys.....is cox worth both our firsts?
    Posted by PatsLifer

IMO Cox isn't worth both 1st rounders. I personally don't think Cox is a top 20 pick and I also don't think the talent gap between Cox and Reyes. I say that because in Cox's last season he was basically absent for the first 3/4 of the season. Actually his only two performances where you would put him ahead of Reyes were against SC and Kentucky. Short of that he had decent performances at the end of the season but nothing spectacular. At least not enough to say definatively that he is a top 20 pick.

Personally, even though Brockers combine wasn't nearly as strong, I saw more consistent play from Brockers last season with higher upside. I'd much rather have Brockers over Cox and I might even want Reyes over Cox too, simply because I really like Reyes motor and consistent play

Sections
Shortcuts