***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportslover21. Show sportslover21's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***:
    [QUOTE]Morning Boys!   Below is my Mock V2, I’ll also classify it as my “Pre-Combine/Pre-Free agency” Mock.   I think this haul would provide a huge upgrade in talent to all (3) levels of the defense as well as add a very underrated (IMO) talent to the WR corp, who could potentially see the field very early. ü   Huge upgrades in talent/skill/versatility/playmaking ability to the secondary.   ü   Huge upgrades in talent/skill/versatility up front, allowing a move back to a base 34.   ü   A sleeper at WR that could see the field very early, he’s also somebody that BB/NC are familiar with having scouted/drafted Shane Vereen in the 2011 draft. 1A.  Mark Barron- S Alabama 6-2 220- Big, instinctive, versatile, physical,   productive, ballhawk with a ton of experience and proven in the SEC.   Day 1 starter in NE. 1B.  Fletcher Cox- DL Miss State 6-4 295- Big, athletic, instinctive, versatile DL with a big motor that could start in both 34/43 fronts and could be NE's 2nd best DL from Day 1.   He’s also proven in the SEC. 2A.  Kendall Reyes- DL Uconn 6-4 300- Keeping with the trend of completely revamping NE's 34 front, he's another kid with good size, a big motor, good length and strength at the POA. 2B.  George Iloka - S/CB Boise State 6-3 222- Very good size/length and athleticism, versatile with experience at both S & CB, projects very well as a FS in Foxboro. 3.  Shea McClellin- OLB/DE Boise State 6-3 248- Tough kid with a huge motor, very good quicks and versatility.   He's a durable, blue collar kid that can make plays off the edge. 4.  Marvin Jones- WR Cal 6-2 198-   Day 2 upside, as bottom line, the kid can separate in coverage.   Very good size, body control and ball skills.   Also has good (huge) hands with the ability to get behind a D.   BB goes back to Cal for another offensive playmaker.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

Good mock MB. Love the players you got in it. Every single one of them is a favorite of mine.

Right now Barron and Cox is my dream 1st round. Fills 2 needs with young players, proven in the SEC and can start from day 1.

Day 2, I like Reyes a lot, someone who has the size/length to play in both fronts and be effective. Iloka another favorite of mine, plus he has versitiliy, and the size/speed to cover TE effectively. He can be a real player, and adding him and Barron would be great.
    McClellin is another favorite of mine, in the mold of Mike Vrabel and even Ninkovich now. Can play DE, OLB, ILB and even played some slot CB and was effective at Boise from what I read. Blue Collar type player, and hard worker, with good motor.

On Day 3, I am a big fan of Marvin Jones, he is a Patriot WR, and while he may not be a deep threat, he has the ability to separate from DB, and has great body control and hands. I fear, he will be moving up boards though.

Nice work!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : You don't think he could play 34 DE for us?  I think we have plenty of 43 DTs so don't need him for that.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

I think he could play 34 DE, yes, good 2-gap ability, strenght at the POA IMO.  Questions about inconsistency/effort (which improved this year), may cause them to look elsewhere.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!:
    [QUOTE]I like all the players in your mock, MB, but I am guessing you are then lobbying for Avril or some other vet FA at OLB. And I would still like to see a center in there somewhere.
    Posted by pumpsiefan[/QUOTE]

My projection is more based on who I like in those ranges, could easily add a Vinny Curry or a Ben Jones on Day 2 etc., and I'd be happy.  Though I think Shea McClellin could be a solid rush LB for them.

Avril would definitely be a good get and as a proven commodity off the edge, would be more in line with what BB tends to target vs. spending a high round pick on a conversion type (i.e Ryan Kerrigan who I lobbied for all last draft season, ha).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : Good mock MB. Love the players you got in it. Every single one of them is a favorite of mine. Right now Barron and Cox is my dream 1st round. Fills 2 needs with young players, proven in the SEC and can start from day 1. Day 2, I like Reyes a lot, someone who has the size/length to play in both fronts and be effective. Iloka another favorite of mine, plus he has versitiliy, and the size/speed to cover TE effectively. He can be a real player, and adding him and Barron would be great. McClellin is another favorite of mine, in the mold of Mike Vrabel and even Ninkovich now. Can play DE, OLB, ILB and even played some slot CB and was effective at Boise from what I read. Blue Collar type player, and hard worker, with good motor. On Day 3, I am a big fan of Marvin Jones, he is a Patriot WR, and while he may not be a deep threat, he has the ability to separate from DB, and has great body control and hands. I fear, he will be moving up boards though. Nice work!
    Posted by sportslover21[/QUOTE]

Good mock MB. Love the players you got in it. Every single one of them is a favorite of mine.Thanks, man! I’ve been wrestling with a lot of names for a while now and these just seemed to make sense to me when I put them on paper.

Right now Barron and Cox is my dream 1st round. Fills 2 needs with young players, proven in the SEC and can start from day 1.
    Yessir, I’d toss in Hightower as the 3rd “like to have” in Rd 1.

Day 2, I like Reyes a lot, someone who has the size/length to play in both fronts and be effective. Iloka another favorite of mine, plus he has versitiliy, and the size/speed to cover TE effectively. He can be a real player, and adding him and Barron would be great.
    McClellin is another favorite of mine, in the mold of Mike Vrabel and even Ninkovich now. Can play DE, OLB, ILB and even played some slot CB and was effective at Boise from what I read. Blue Collar type player, and hard worker, with good motor.

Indeed... would love to see what they could do with the huge injection of talent, skill and versatility on the defensive side of the ball.  I'm mentioned this before, but I'm a much bigger fan of the tough, physical, swarming type D's that I am of elite passing O's, though I'll take whatever gets them another Lombardi Trophy! haha

On Day 3, I am a big fan of Marvin Jones, he is a Patriot WR, and while he may not be a deep threat, he has the ability to separate from DB, and has great body control and hands. I fear, he will be moving up boards though.

I agree that he’s a kid that could work his way into the top 100 or eve Day 2.  Can’t wait to see more 2011 tape of him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]Morning Boys!   Below is my Mock V2, I’ll also classify it as my “Pre-Combine/Pre-Free agency” Mock.   I think this haul would provide a huge upgrade in talent to all (3) levels of the defense as well as add a very underrated (IMO) talent to the WR corp, who could potentially see the field very early. ü   Huge upgrades in talent/skill/versatility/playmaking ability to the secondary.   ü   Huge upgrades in talent/skill/versatility up front, allowing a move back to a base 34.   ü   A sleeper at WR that could see the field very early, he’s also somebody that BB/NC are familiar with having scouted/drafted Shane Vereen in the 2011 draft. 1A.  Mark Barron- S Alabama 6-2 220- Big, instinctive, versatile, physical,   productive, ballhawk with a ton of experience and proven in the SEC.   Day 1 starter in NE. 1B.  Fletcher Cox- DL Miss State 6-4 295- Big, athletic, instinctive, versatile DL with a big motor that could start in both 34/43 fronts and could be NE's 2nd best DL from Day 1.   He’s also proven in the SEC. 2A.  Kendall Reyes- DL Uconn 6-4 300- Keeping with the trend of completely revamping NE's 34 front, he's another kid with good size, a big motor, good length and strength at the POA. 2B.  George Iloka - S/CB Boise State 6-3 222- Very good size/length and athleticism, versatile with experience at both S & CB, projects very well as a FS in Foxboro. 3.  Shea McClellin- OLB/DE Boise State 6-3 248- Tough kid with a huge motor, very good quicks and versatility.   He's a durable, blue collar kid that can make plays off the edge. 4.  Marvin Jones- WR Cal 6-2 198-   Day 2 upside, as bottom line, the kid can separate in coverage.   Very good size, body control and ball skills.   Also has good (huge) hands with the ability to get behind a D.   BB goes back to Cal for another offensive playmaker.

Great draft

since it is so DE/DT and safety heavy I'd hope we get a CB in free agency

Chung proved he can't play FS IMO so let's hope Iloka can really fly with those 220lbs on him... Chung's role would be less defined here, although I like the idea of an in the box hard hitting nickel safety, someone to shadow a big TE or QB who likes to run (Tebow/Big Ben) over a guy like Moore or DMC who would get blown up

Also Jones seems to be moving way up the mock's... he isn't going to be there with the 2nd to last pick in rd 4

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : Great draft since it is so DE/DT and safety heavy I'd hope we get a CB in free agency Chung proved he can't play FS IMO so let's hope Iloka can really fly with those 220lbs on him... Chung's role would be less defined here, although I like the idea of an in the box hard hitting nickel safety, someone to shadow a big TE or QB who likes to run (Tebow/Big Ben) over a guy like Moore or DMC who would get blown up Also Jones seems to be moving way up the mock's... he isn't going to be there with the 2nd to last pick in rd 4
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

Thanks, man!

I too would like to see them pick up another CB whether it be in FA or the draft (which is pretty deep with them).

I do think Iloka is the rangy type player that they need back there, agree that Chung is much more effective playing downhill.  Also love Iloka's combo of size/speed which I think, as you mentioned, would be a huge value against the bigger/faster WR's and athletic TE's that you see in the league today.

I don't disagree on Jones, has Top 100/day 2 upside, IMO.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Wow, heavy on D which is needed.  Doubling down on S and DL help, increasing your chances of success.  Hard to argue with any of the selections.  But, let's say Barron is long gone.  What does that do to your board?  Do you still take Cox but at 27 to ensure you get him or do you keep the rest of your draft the same and go with another player at 27?

Let's say you keep the rest of your draft the same.  You have these players available, who do you take:

Hightower
    Adams
    Perry
    Mercilus
    Konz

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

In response to "Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***": [QUOTE]Morning Boys!   Below is my Mock V2, I’ll also classify it as my “Pre-Combine/Pre-Free agency” Mock.   I think this haul would provide a huge upgrade in talent to all (3) levels of the defense as well as add a very underrated (IMO) talent to the WR corp, who could potentially see the field very early. ü   Huge upgrades in talent/skill/versatility/playmaking ability to the secondary.   ü   Huge upgrades in talent/skill/versatility up front, allowing a move back to a base 34.   ü   A sleeper at WR that could see the field very early, he’s also somebody that BB/NC are familiar with having scouted/drafted Shane Vereen in the 2011 draft. 1A.  Mark Barron- S Alabama 6-2 220- Big, instinctive, versatile, physical,   productive, ballhawk with a ton of experience and proven in the SEC.   Day 1 starter in NE. 1B.  Fletcher Cox- DL Miss State 6-4 295- Big, athletic, instinctive, versatile DL with a big motor that could start in both 34/43 fronts and could be NE's 2nd best DL from Day 1.   He’s also proven in the SEC. 2A.  Kendall Reyes- DL Uconn 6-4 300- Keeping with the trend of completely revamping NE's 34 front, he's another kid with good size, a big motor, good length and strength at the POA. 2B.  George Iloka - S/CB Boise State 6-3 222- Very good size/length and athleticism, versatile with experience at both S & CB, projects very well as a FS in Foxboro. 3.  Shea McClellin- OLB/DE Boise State 6-3 248- Tough kid with a huge motor, very good quicks and versatility.   He's a durable, blue collar kid that can make plays off the edge. 4.  Marvin Jones- WR Cal 6-2 198-   Day 2 upside, as bottom line, the kid can separate in coverage.   Very good size, body control and ball skills.   Also has good (huge) hands with the ability to get behind a D.   BB goes back to Cal for another offensive playmaker. Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE] LIKE it MB! ESP rd 1. I do like m jones a lot too. Wow 4 th rd too steal

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Hey MB,

Not sure if I'd like that draft. To many similar players and not sure it addresses the pass rushing need.

Cox and Reyes - I don't see either as pass rushers honestly. They are very similar players with Cox having a higher upside. Both to me are Ty/G Warren types of players. Someone who's solid on the line and will defend the run very wel. On occasion will get after the QB but won't provide any type of consistent pass rush.  If they were to get one or the other I'd be fine but I wouldn't want both truthfully. To similar to each other without the benefit.

Maybe if you replace Reyes with Wolfe. I think Wolfe has better rushing ability then either Cox or Reyes and provides that extra dimension

Iloka and Barron - I like both but we get both? With Moore, Arrington, McCourty, Ras, Chung, and I think Ihedigbo will be back. Getting both with 1 additional FA fills the roster fro DB's but I'd rather get both a vet CB and vet S. I think our DB core is already to young enough adding one more DB I'd be happywith but not two. Honestly given the two I love Iloka's size and ability to flex between CB and S. Even though I think Barron is the better overall prospect but if you can get an edge rusher like Curry or Branch (maybe Hightower) in the 1st and Iloka late in the 2nd it might be the better overall improvement

McClellin - Is someone I like a lot as a Vrable type of but only if they get a dependable solid pass rusher first and foremost and I don't think your draft addressed this.

I do like the idea of getting a WR though

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Yes, Faucet, I agree in the old days a 17-9 lead would have been protected with a running game.  We used to frustrate teams when they couldn't get the ball back.  Sort of what happened to us in the SB when it became obvious we were going to get the ball back with not enough time.  It is fun to project what might happen but until we get to the draft we won't know how BB will spend his chips.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]Yes, Faucet, I agree in the old days a 17-9 lead would have been protected with a running game.  We used to frustrate teams when they couldn't get the ball back.  Sort of what happened to us in the SB when it became obvious we were going to get the ball back with not enough time.  It is fun to project what might happen but until we get to the draft we won't know how BB will spend his chips.
    Posted by Critter23[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  If we had a power run game and were controlling the clock, we would have won the SB easily.  Instead, our defense was on the field 2/3 of the game and just could not hold up and our offense did nothing after the first drive of the 2nd half.

I know this is a passing league but sometimes running the ball is best, especially when you have the lead.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

I wouldn't mind seeing the Pats do "something" like that but maybe just tweaked a bit.

FA
    Take care of their own 1st
    FS/SS - Michael Griffin
    CB/FS - Richard Marshall
    WR - Brandon Llyod (rather have others but Brady has no excuse to not trust him instantly)

Draft
    1A - FS/SS Mark Barron or DE/DT Fletcher Cox
    1B - ILB/OLB Donta Hightower or (CB Chase Minnifield/Stephen Gilmore)

2A - DE/OLB Vinny Curry
    2B - FS/CB/SS George IIoka or C/G Ben Jones or WR

3 - WR Marvin Jones or other WR or Mitchell Schwartz OT/OG

4 - DE/OLB Shea McClellin or DE Derek Wolfe

I would still anticipate them coming to situations at their picks where they like 2, 3 or more players equally and entertaining trades to move back a couple spots to pick something else up while still having a shot at whoever is left in the "like" bunch.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Mayock's updated rankings by position, 2/14/2012.

Quarterback

1. Andrew Luck, Stanford
    2. Robert Griffin III, Baylor
    3. Ryan Tannehill, Texas A&M
    4. Brandon Weeden, Oklahoma State
    5. Nick Foles, Arizona

New entries: Weeden, Foles

Running Back

1. Trent Richardson, Alabama
    2. David Wilson, Virginia Tech
    3. Lamar Miller, Miami (Fla.)
    4. Doug Martin, Boise State
    5. LaMichael James, Oregon

Wide Receiver

1. Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma State
    2. Kendall Wright, Baylor
    3. Michael Floyd, Notre Dame
    4. Rueben Randle, LSU
    5. Alshon Jeffery, South Carolina

Rise: Wright
    Fall: Floyd, Jeffery
    New entry: Randle
    Out: Wake Forest's Chris Givens

Tight End

1. Orson Charles, Georgia
    2. Coby Fleener, Stanford
    3. Dwayne Allen, Clemson
    4. Deangelo Peterson, LSU
    5. Ladarius Green, Louisiana-Lafayette

Rise: Charles
    Fall: Allen, Green
    New entry: Peterson
    Out: Missouri's Michael Egnew

Tackle

1. Matt Kalil, USC
    2. Riley Reiff, Iowa
    3. Jonathan Martin, Stanford
    4. Mike Adams, Ohio State
    5. Cordy Glenn, Georgia

Rise: Kalil
    Fall: Reiff
    New entry: Glenn (switched groups from interior offensive lineman to tackle)
    Out: Troy's James Brown, Florida State's Zebrie Sanders

Interior Offensive Lineman

1. David DeCastro, Stanford
    2. Peter Konz, Wisconsin
    3. Kevin Zeitler, Wisconsin
    4. Amini Silatolu, Midwestern State
    5. Kelechi Osemele, Iowa State

Fall: Osemele
    New entry: Silatolu
    Out: Glenn (switched groups from interior offensive lineman to tackle)

Defensive End

1. Melvin Ingram, South Carolina
    2. Quinton Coples, North Carolina
    3. Andre Branch, Clemson
    4. Whitney Mercilus, Illinois
    T-5. Vinny Curry, Marshall
    T-5. Nick Perry, USC

Rise: Ingram, Branch
    Fall: Coples, Mercilus, Perry
    New entry: Curry
    Out: Syracuse's Chandler Jones

Defensive Tackle

1. Michael Brockers, LSU
    2. Jerel Worthy, Michigan State
    3. Dontari Poe, Memphis
    4. Devon Still, Penn State
    T-5. Fletcher Cox, Mississippi St.
    T-5. Kendall Reyes, UConn
    T-5. Brandon Thompson, Clemson

Rise: Brockers, Poe
    Fall: Still, Thompson
    New entry: Reyes

Linebacker

1. Courtney Upshaw, Alabama
    2. Luke Kuechly, Boston College
    3. Dont'a Hightower, Alabama
    4. Ronnell Lewis, Oklahoma
    5. Sean Spence, Miami (Fla.)

New entries: Lewis, Spence
    Out: North Carolina's Zach Brown, Arizona State's Vontaze Burfict

Cornerback

1. Morris Claiborne, LSU
    2. Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama
    3. Janoris Jenkins, North Alabama
    4. Trumaine Johnson, Montana
    5. Leonard Johnson, Iowa State

Rise: Kirkpatrick
    Fall: Jenkins, Leonard Johnson
    New entry: Trumaine Johnson
    Out: Nebraska's Alfonzo Dennard

Safety

1. Mark Barron, Alabama
    2. Harrison Smith, Notre Dame
    3. George Iloka, Boise State
    4. Markelle Martin, Oklahoma State
    5. Phillip Thomas, Syracuse

New entry: Phillip Thomas
    Out: South Carolina's Antonio Allen

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : We tried to run against the Giants but were not having much success, 19/83.  BJGE was 10/44 which on paper isn't a bad 4.4.  On the first drive of the 2nd half, Green-Ellis gained 25 yards on 2 carries.  If you take those two rushes away, he was completely an ineffective 8/19, a 2.375 average....

i would argue though that the stalling of the running game was not a rb issue. the rb got hit in the backfield more than a couple of times by someone penetrating. i need to watch it again but i believe the penetration was pretty consistently through mankins.

i do want them to get a rb with more star power. i believe they have not been practicing their running game as meticulously as their passing game. i also believe run blocking schemes are more complicated than pass blocking - it takes a lot of practice for the different parts to gel together. hopefully a rb with some star power will force them a little bit to invest more time developing their running game.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

get konz and that penetrating by D-linemen will stop

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : My bad!  In the three losses to the Giants this year the ratio of passes to runs was 138:55 which is slightly less that 29% runs to almost 72% pass.  For the sake of simplicity less say the ratio of pass to run was 71:29%, or even more generalized...2/3rds pass to 1/3rd run....A far cry from a balanced 50:50 ratio! While many bloggers are convinced that our primary need is on Defense one should also address the fact that we pass more Because our run game is lacking.  This strongly suggests that if a BLUE-CHIP OL is available and by comparison a less predictable defensive player we should address BPA. When you place too much emphasis on drafting for NEED you invariably REACH when you should be GRABBING the BPA!
    Posted by moskk[/QUOTE]

difference of opinion i guess, but i do not believe that balance is achieved at 50-50. if i have to choose a ratio it would be around 60-40. 

that said, i don't believe it is about ratios for this team. it really is about bb being able to show..
    1) the team can be patient enough to complete a drive down the field and scoring via a series of 3, 4, 5, 6, 7-yard chunks on the ground (please don't take it literally and think i am talking about an all run drive).
    2) the o will be willing to play about 35% run against a good run d or a good balanced d and win.
    3) that he is willing to bet on the run when the game is on the line, and winning on that bet. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : Wow, heavy on D which is needed.  Doubling down on S and DL help, increasing your chances of success.  Hard to argue with any of the selections.  But, let's say Barron is long gone.  What does that do to your board?  Do you still take Cox but at 27 to ensure you get him or do you keep the rest of your draft the same and go with another player at 27? Let's say you keep the rest of your draft the same.  You have these players available, who do you take: Hightower Adams Perry Mercilus Konz

If Barron is off the board,  I would prob look Cox or Hightower at 27 though Konz would also be in the discussion. 

I also think Adams has value, but he would seem redundant based on the assumption that they'd prob role with Solder/Vollmer/Cannon at OT (I also wouldn't rule out Light coming back).  Now if Light is gone and they aren't completely confident in Vollmer's durability and they want to groom Cannon as more of an OG, then I think Adams would be in play.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***": LIKE it MB! ESP rd 1. I do like m jones a lot too. Wow 4 th rd too steal
    Posted by NOISE[/QUOTE]

Thanks Noise, I'll prob have to move Jones up eventually as I think he'll ultimately be off the board close to the top 100 or on Day 2 etc.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : Hey MB, Not sure if I'd like that draft. To many similar players and not sure it addresses the pass rushing need. Cox and Reyes - I don't see either as pass rushers honestly. They are very similar players with Cox having a higher upside. Both to me are Ty/G Warren types of players. Someone who's solid on the line and will defend the run very wel. On occasion will get after the QB but won't provide any type of consistent pass rush.  If they were to get one or the other I'd be fine but I wouldn't want both truthfully. To similar to each other without the benefit. Maybe if you replace Reyes with Wolfe. I think Wolfe has better rushing ability then either Cox or Reyes and provides that extra dimension Iloka and Barron - I like both but we get both? With Moore, Arrington, McCourty, Ras, Chung, and I think Ihedigbo will be back. Getting both with 1 additional FA fills the roster fro DB's but I'd rather get both a vet CB and vet S. I think our DB core is already to young enough adding one more DB I'd be happywith but not two. Honestly given the two I love Iloka's size and ability to flex between CB and S. Even though I think Barron is the better overall prospect but if you can get an edge rusher like Curry or Branch (maybe Hightower) in the 1st and Iloka late in the 2nd it might be the better overall improvement McClellin - Is someone I like a lot as a Vrable type of but only if they get a dependable solid pass rusher first and foremost and I don't think your draft addressed this. I do like the idea of getting a WR though
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

Hey MB, 

Hey PE. 

Not sure if I'd like that draft. To many similar players and not sure it addresses the pass rushing need. 

I’m sure it’ll change assuming they’ll address some needs in FA, but I’ll wait for that to take place before I change my projection. 

Cox and Reyes - I don't see either as pass rushers honestly. They are very similar players with Cox having a higher upside. Both to me are Ty/G Warren types of players. Someone who's solid on the line and will defend the run very wel. On occasion will get after the QB but won't provide any type of consistent pass rush.  If they were to get one or the other I'd be fine but I wouldn't want both truthfully. To similar to each other without the benefit. Maybe if you replace Reyes with Wolfe. I think Wolfe has better rushing ability then either Cox or Reyes and provides that extra dimension 

I like Wolfe too, he's in my top 25 and I think he has day 2 upside, could be a solid player for them, though I think Cox can/will be plenty disruptive at the NFL level and has impact potential in both fronts.  I’m interested to see Wolfe's weight at the combine too.  

Iloka and Barron - I like both but we get both? With Moore, Arrington, McCourty, Ras, Chung, and I think Ihedigbo will be back. Getting both with 1 additional FA fills the roster fro DB's but I'd rather get both a vet CB and vet S. I think our DB core is already to young enough adding one more DB I'd be happywith but not two. Honestly given the two I love Iloka's size and ability to flex between CB and S. Even though I think Barron is the better overall prospect but if you can get an edge rusher like Curry or Branch (maybe Hightower) in the 1st and Iloka late in the 2nd it might be the better overall improvement 

Per my original post, this is my “Pre-Combine / Pre Free Agency” mock, so I’m sure things will change as they address needs in FA.  I also like Hightower as an option in Rd 1 and Curry in Rd 2. 

McClellin - Is someone I like a lot as a Vrable type of but only if they get a dependable solid pass rusher first and foremost and I don't think your draft addressed this. 

I’ll take pass rush ability anywhere I can get it. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : I wouldn't mind seeing the Pats do "something" like that but maybe just tweaked a bit. FA Take care of their own 1st FS/SS - Michael Griffin CB/FS - Richard Marshall WR - Brandon Llyod (rather have others but Brady has no excuse to not trust him instantly) Draft 1A - FS/SS Mark Barron or DE/DT Fletcher Cox 1B - ILB/OLB Donta Hightower or (CB Chase Minnifield/Stephen Gilmore) 2A - DE/OLB Vinny Curry 2B - FS/CB/SS George IIoka or C/G Ben Jones or WR 3 - WR Marvin Jones or other WR or Mitchell Schwartz OT/OG 4 - DE/OLB Shea McClellin or DE Derek Wolfe I would still anticipate them coming to situations at their picks where they like 2, 3 or more players equally and entertaining trades to move back a couple spots to pick something else up while still having a shot at whoever is left in the "like" bunch.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]

I'd be happy with that haul.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Mayock's updated rankings by position, 2/14/2012. Quarterback 1. Andrew Luck, Stanford 2. Robert Griffin III, Baylor 3. Ryan Tannehill, Texas A&M 4. Brandon Weeden, Oklahoma State 5. Nick Foles, Arizona New entries: Weeden, Foles Running Back 1. Trent Richardson, Alabama 2. David Wilson, Virginia Tech 3. Lamar Miller, Miami (Fla.) 4. Doug Martin, Boise State 5. LaMichael James, Oregon Wide Receiver 1. Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma State 2. Kendall Wright, Baylor 3. Michael Floyd, Notre Dame 4. Rueben Randle, LSU 5. Alshon Jeffery, South Carolina Rise: Wright Fall: Floyd, Jeffery New entry: Randle Out: Wake Forest's Chris Givens Tight End 1. Orson Charles, Georgia 2. Coby Fleener, Stanford 3. Dwayne Allen, Clemson 4. Deangelo Peterson, LSU 5. Ladarius Green, Louisiana-Lafayette Rise: Charles Fall: Allen, Green New entry: Peterson Out: Missouri's Michael Egnew Tackle 1. Matt Kalil, USC 2. Riley Reiff, Iowa 3. Jonathan Martin, Stanford 4. Mike Adams, Ohio State 5. Cordy Glenn, Georgia Rise: Kalil Fall: Reiff New entry: Glenn (switched groups from interior offensive lineman to tackle) Out: Troy's James Brown, Florida State's Zebrie Sanders Interior Offensive Lineman 1. David DeCastro, Stanford 2. Peter Konz, Wisconsin 3. Kevin Zeitler, Wisconsin 4. Amini Silatolu, Midwestern State 5. Kelechi Osemele, Iowa State Fall: Osemele New entry: Silatolu Out: Glenn (switched groups from interior offensive lineman to tackle) Defensive End 1. Melvin Ingram, South Carolina 2. Quinton Coples, North Carolina 3. Andre Branch, Clemson 4. Whitney Mercilus, Illinois T-5. Vinny Curry, Marshall T-5. Nick Perry, USC Rise: Ingram, Branch Fall: Coples, Mercilus, Perry New entry: Curry Out: Syracuse's Chandler Jones Defensive Tackle 1. Michael Brockers, LSU 2. Jerel Worthy, Michigan State 3. Dontari Poe, Memphis 4. Devon Still, Penn State T-5. Fletcher Cox, Mississippi St. T-5. Kendall Reyes, UConn T-5. Brandon Thompson, Clemson Rise: Brockers, Poe Fall: Still, Thompson New entry: Reyes Linebacker 1. Courtney Upshaw, Alabama 2. Luke Kuechly, Boston College 3. Dont'a Hightower, Alabama 4. Ronnell Lewis, Oklahoma 5. Sean Spence, Miami (Fla.) New entries: Lewis, Spence Out: North Carolina's Zach Brown, Arizona State's Vontaze Burfict Cornerback 1. Morris Claiborne, LSU 2. Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama 3. Janoris Jenkins, North Alabama 4. Trumaine Johnson, Montana 5. Leonard Johnson, Iowa State Rise: Kirkpatrick Fall: Jenkins, Leonard Johnson New entry: Trumaine Johnson Out: Nebraska's Alfonzo Dennard Safety 1. Mark Barron, Alabama 2. Harrison Smith, Notre Dame 3. George Iloka, Boise State 4. Markelle Martin, Oklahoma State 5. Phillip Thomas, Syracuse New entry: Phillip Thomas Out: South Carolina's Antonio Allen

Thanks, Faucet.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Schedule for the combine

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : difference of opinion i guess, but i do not believe that balance is achieved at 50-50. if i have to choose a ratio it would be around 60-40.  that said, i don't believe it is about ratios for this team. it really is about bb being able to show.. 1) the team can be patient enough to complete a drive down the field and scoring via a series of 3, 4, 5, 6, 7-yard chunks on the ground (please don't take it literally and think i am talking about an all run drive). 2) the o will be willing to play about 35% run against a good run d or a good balanced d and win. 3) that he is willing to bet on the run when the game is on the line, and winning on that bet. 
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]

The 60:40 run to pass ratio may be good for discussion but won't apply to the Pats. Why? It presumes a low scoring game which presumes that the Pats defense is so remarkably efficient that it can prevent opponents from scoring in bunches. This has become a passing league in most respects.

The problem I see here is that we need too much improvement on defense to be considered an elite defensive team.  Still, wouldn't it be great to have such a defense and with a gifted WR to complement our already potent receiving corps we would be favorites for another SB run.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Schedule for the combine http://www.nflcombine.net/players/schedule
    Posted by Rocky[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Rocky.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

The conventional wisdom and historical evidence would suggest the Pats won't land a big name F/A unless it is someone who comes cheap.  The Pats, as we know, like to trade down and gain picks in the current draft and future drafts.  They also approach free agency as if there is no draft filling all the holes they can so that the draft is just bonus time.  Predicting draft day trades are impossible but here's my crack at a mock free agency and draft with no trades.

F/A signed:

Wes Welker
    Mark Anderson
    Brian Hoyer (restricted)
    Deion Branch
    Dan Connolly
    Kyle Love (exclusive rights RFA)

I'm torn on whether or not we will retain BJGE.  If we lose him, I think plan B should be Michael Bush, either way, we need a fourth back and I don't think we are looking to the draft.

RB Michael Bush  He is a big back, 6-1, 245.  He is a complete back who contributes in the passing game.  He has similar rushing stats compared to BJGE the past two years but is vastly superior in the passing game.  If the money is about the same, I think Bush is a better compliment to our other backs.  Here's their stats the past two seasons.

RushingATTYDSAVGLNGTDFDFUMLST
    BJGE410 1,675 4.09332410300
    M Bush414 1,632 3.9444158511
    ReceivingRECYDSAVGLNGTDFDFUMLST
    BJGE2124411.625301200
    M Bush5561211.135512500

OLB Anthony Spencer  This would be a solid pick up since he is both experienced playing 34 OLB and rushing the passer.  Plus he has the benefit of playing with perhaps the best rushing 34 OLB in the league and hopefully learned a few tricks.  At 6-3, 257 and just turned 28, he has the right size that BB likes to play outside.  Spencer won't blow you away but he has been extremely consistent having played in all 16 games each of the past 3 years.  In those 3 years he has had 67, 63, 66 tackles, with 6.0, 5.0, 6.0 sacks.  He added 2 forced fumbles each in 2009 and 2010 and had 4 FFs last year.  He also had 10, 1 and 7 stuffs the past three years.

BB is not known for spending high picks on DE/OLB conversion types but he is known for bringing in veterans to play the position.  Dallas probably can't afford to keep Spencer and I think he and Anderson can complete for the weakside OLB position.  This should be a medium cost acquisition which fits well in our budget.

FS Michael Griffin  I don't see any better options out there and the Pats cannot head into the draft not doing something on the back end.

Brandon Lloyd  Unless the Tom Condon thing rules him out, the stars aligned for him to come to NE.  We need an insurance policy for Branch.

DRAFT

27.  WR Michael Floyd, 6-3, 224, 4.54. Notre Dame.  This is my conversation pick.  I'm thinking Blackmon and Wright go first then character concerns and perhaps a slower 40 than expected at the Combine cause Floyd to drop like we saw with Dez Bryant a couple of years ago.  I think Floyd cleaned up his image last year by staying out of trouble and by moving into the freshman dorm to live a more low-key life.  This is a crazy pick and one I am in no position to defend.  I didn't have the courage or conviction to suggest Randy Moss might be back but I have some thoughts for another post.  Floyd gives us that tall WR we've been missing and this should make Mike (Mb) very happy.
    31.  DT Fletcher Cox. 6-4, 295, 4.96.  Miss State.  I'm on board with this one.  We need a 34 DE badly.  It isn't about pressuring the QB guys, it's about controlling your gaps and taking up blockers.  This kid is young and raw and won't start year 1 but has good upside.
    48.  CB Leonard Johnson, 5-10, 198, 4.49 Iowa State.  Can't go with Curry here and be a copy cat, can I?  We need so much help in the defensive back field that I am going to triple down with 3 new DB additions. 
    63.  OG Amini Silatolu, 6-3, 324, 5.20. Midwestern State. A left tackle from a small school who is flying up boards projects inside.  He has shown great lateral agility, ability pull to run block, and plays with a real nasty streak.  He is flying up Mayock's list of top interior OL types.  I can't find any video on him but we need an heir apparent to Brian Waters as I don't want to see Wendell in there too much and it appears, at least for now, that Cannon is going to back up RT.
    95.  CB Josh Norman, 6-0, 203, 4.52 Coastal Carolina.  He impressed the heck out of Mayock during Senior Bowl week.  He displayed ball hawking skills and ability to press, back pedal and recover.  My thinking is possible FS conversion but he may actually end up being a solid cover corner.  BB has been drafting tall CBs of late.  His 40 time could dictate if he's a corner or FS. 
    4th. TE Michael Egnew, 6-5, 251, 4.60. Mizzou.  He looks and runs like a receiver has good hands, runs decent routes.  He is not strong as an in line blocker but is as willing blocker and can block down field.  He would make a nice addition in red zone packages and could be a decent back up to Gronk although he isn't a beast like Gronk but he is fast like Hernandez.