***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***

The Feb 6 mock on nepatriotsdraft.com has us landing Nick Perry  OLB/DE  USC at 27 and Janoris Jenkins at 31.  That would be just about ideal for the 1st round as far as I'm concerned.  The more I look at Perry, the more I like him.  Jenkins has a few character concerns, but may be the best cover corner in this class.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***:
    The Feb 6 mock on nepatriotsdraft.com has us landing Nick Perry  OLB/DE  USC at 27 and Janoris Jenkins at 31.  That would be just about ideal for the 1st round as far as I'm concerned.  The more I look at Perry, the more I like him.  Jenkins has a few character concerns, but may be the best cover corner in this class.
    Posted by WazzuWheatfarmer

I would take that in a heart beat. Past Upshaw he might be the best 34OLB/43DE in the draft. He's got the track record of Curry but against better competition and he's got the impact or Mercilus but has done for more then one year.

Jenkins I've been very high on and didn't think he could make ti to the back end of the round. Provided we get Wolfe or Reyes and tack in a WR or TE with the other 2nd I don't know who couldn't like that draft

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : Got to wonder if we'll bring back the Law Firm.  Yes he doesn't fumble but 3.7 ypc in the play-offs isn't good enough.  Plus, do we really want little Woodhead (3.6 ypc) running between the tackles?  The only back that had success in the play-offs was Ridley (4/21/5.3ypc) and unless I'm mistaken that was all against Denver because of his fumblitis. If we look to the draft for a decent sized back that can run there are some options but will BB spend another high pick at RB when he spent 2 last year?  I don't see a front line F/A back that will be available as a better option to BJGE.  The only one that might be available is Marshawn Lynch and I can't see him as a Patriot with his character.  So if we look to the draft, after Richardson, I don't think another RB will go in the first round unless it's late, like us at 31.  Would we pull the trigger on Miller or Wilson?  Both backs are similar in stature to BJGE but a whole lot faster.  We might even be able to get one of them at 47 or with a trade back from 31.  At 47, Doug Martin enters the conversation but I just don't think we'd do it this year, certainly not with a high pick.
    Posted by Faucetman

I don't think you go RB early in the draft. You just spent a late 2nd and 3rd on RB's with high talent. You have to give them a chance to show what they have. Besides there are bigger needs then an RB on a team built for the pass.

Maybe bring in an aging vet though on the backside of their career to pick up some careers every so often while letting Ridley and Vereen carry the load like a Maurice Morris type

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Pick 27/31 gets us to about pick 10.  Is there any player that we would consider a move this big to get?

Coples
    Upshaw
    Blackmon

Just asking.  I might do it for Coples if we are staying in a 43.  Upshaw, maybe but I don't think BB would do it for him, too short.  Imagine what Blackmon would do for our offense but we need far too much help on D to consider him.

Would we go 31/63 to move up to 19 for Konz?  I might like that.
    Would we go 27/95 to go to 21 for Mark Barron?  That might be good.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Pick 27/31 gets us to about pick 10.  Is there any player that we would consider a move this big to get? Coples Upshaw Blackmon Just asking.  I might do it for Coples if we are staying in a 43.  Upshaw, maybe but I don't think BB would do it for him, too short.  Imagine what Blackmon would do for our offense but we need far too much help on D to consider him. Would we go 31/63 to move up to 19 for Konz?  I might like that. Would we go 27/95 to go to 21 for Mark Barron?  That might be good.
    Posted by Faucetman

If I was moving up that far it would be for an interior presence. A Still or Brockers and nothing else. Edge rushers are needed but you can find them in the late 1st early 2nd and Upshaw/Coples might be uniquely talented players but if the QB can just step up into the pocket edge rushers won't do much good. It all starts from the center of the line and ripples out from there. A strong front presence from the interior affects the D more as a whole then any other position.

God, I feel like I'm on an infinite loop as I've been saying this in the 09', 10', 11' drafts when I've been calling for a stronger interior and edge presence and less of these toss away secondary high picks

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

That's weird Faucetman, I was just thinking the same thing. That player, for me, would be Upshaw. Welker gets franchised and some one like Sanu or another WR falls to us in the 2nd. Does this mean you don't think say pick 27 and pick 47 would net us a top 15 pick ? Two 1sts is something I do for a virtual certainty (some one like Suh on the D Line for example or Patrick Willis at LB); has to be a lock. People on this board would go nuts if we traded two 1sts for Keith McCants.

Of all the trades you brought up 27/95 for Barron might make the most sense.

I haven't looked at other teams needs Coples could go as high as 6-9 and I just don't see Belichick trading up that high. 10-15 range seems more likely.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Pick 27/31 gets us to about pick 10.  Is there any player that we would consider a move this big to get? Coples Upshaw Blackmon Just asking.  I might do it for Coples if we are staying in a 43.  Upshaw, maybe but I don't think BB would do it for him, too short.  Imagine what Blackmon would do for our offense but we need far too much help on D to consider him. Would we go 31/63 to move up to 19 for Konz?  I might like that. Would we go 27/95 to go to 21 for Mark Barron?  That might be good.
    Posted by Faucetman

At this moment in time I would say no.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from profootball. Show profootball's posts

Will see in March who does BB pick?  This super bowl lost makes BB and Tom are hunger more to get back.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : If I was moving up that far it would be for an interior presence. A Still or Brockers and nothing else. Edge rushers are needed but you can find them in the late 1st early 2nd and Upshaw/Coples might be uniquely talented players but if the QB can just step up into the pocket edge rushers won't do much good. It all starts from the center of the line and ripples out from there. A strong front presence from the interior affects the D more as a whole then any other position. God, I feel like I'm on an infinite loop as I've been saying this in the 09', 10', 11' drafts when I've been calling for a stronger interior and edge presence and less of these toss away secondary high picks
    Posted by PatsEng

I need to watch more but while I like Brockers people really are putting a ton into the fact that he is still a baby and projecting what he may become. I don't love doing that but he is interesting/tempting for sure.

Still? At this point in my early evaluation I am taking Fletcher Cox over him.

Here is some food for thought on your interrior 34 DE types you are pining about. Which as you know i have been saying as well over the past number of drafts.

Player      Body Mass Index    Gms   T    S    T/Gm   TFL    S   QBH
    Brockers             46               27    79   34    2.93     11      2     5
    Cox                    46               36    114  53    3.17   23.5   7.5    9
    Still                    46               39    113  55    2.90   32.5  10.5   2
    Wolfe                 44               44    162   89    3.68    37    18.5  9

* Typically the Pats have used players of body mass index over 50 alot lately even though both Seymour (45) and Warren (47) were under 50.

Pryor, Love, Wilfork, Brace, Lekevin Smith all over the 50 index.

You can see Cox has the same or better production for the most part to Still AND while playing in the SEC.

The real value play I have come across so far is that Wolfe kid. However if you break it down further into quality Tackles of how many solo per Tackle his ratio is much less than the others. That could mean he just has a high motor and pursues all over the field raising his total tackles or that he is a lil bit of a pig piler? or a bit of both.

The other thing is not knowing what there respective marching orders are. Eat blocks vs make plays.

I have read on numerous occasions, for example, that Worthy, who I did not list, faced a substantial amount of double teams over the last 2 seasons.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

They need Upshaw. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Faucet, I cringe at questioning your insight, but I don't think the RB's let us down yesterday whatever one might say about their ability.  I don't think we mixed it up enough with our RB's.  There was a time in the 3rd qr. I believe we had them flummoxed--our runs around the end and our short passes to that same end had them backed off.  They weren't rushing Brady as effectively.  But as soon as we left the run and threw 7-9 times in a row, they started t-ing off again.  The announcers even said that Coughlin had said he was afraid of our play action passes.  I think the running game will be more consistent if we run consistently--not just return to it from time to time.  As Brady ages, the run should be used more often.  We could control the clock better, etc.  This used to be BB's specialty.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : no thanks on fleener. no thanks on a TE in round 2. no thanks on that same predictable, short pass, no deep threat offense.... hello
    Posted by ricky12684

How did that deep threat low % pass workout in 2007?  

Didn't work yesterday because Gronk just couldn't be himself.  O works fine, and as I stated Lloyd signed as WR.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsNut5480. Show PatsNut5480's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : How did that deep threat low % pass workout in 2007?   Didn't work yesterday because Gronk just couldn't be himself.  O works fine, and as I stated Lloyd signed as WR.
    Posted by Pats7393

I think if they draft a guy like Kendall Wright or even Sanu this offense would be tough to stop.  Just imagine trying to defend the short game with gronk, hernandez, and welker and oh by the way you have to defend a guy like Kendall Wright and Brandon Lloyd if he signs.  I love BJGE but I think they'll let him go if he gets a good offer somewhere else.  That would open the door to more Ridley and hopefully seeing what Vareen has. 

If it were me with the first 4 picks I draft one WR and the rest defense.  If you have shot at Konz maybe jump on him but other than WR it's all defense for needs. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : If I was moving up that far it would be for an interior presence. A Still or Brockers and nothing else. Edge rushers are needed but you can find them in the late 1st early 2nd and Upshaw/Coples might be uniquely talented players but if the QB can just step up into the pocket edge rushers won't do much good. It all starts from the center of the line and ripples out from there. A strong front presence from the interior affects the D more as a whole then any other position. God, I feel like I'm on an infinite loop as I've been saying this in the 09', 10', 11' drafts when I've been calling for a stronger interior and edge presence and less of these toss away secondary high picks
    Posted by PatsEng

I brought Coples into the discussion because of what JPP did to us last night.  He batted down several balls and is an elite presence on the edge.  He's like a mini Julius Peppers.  I don't see any 6'6"+ DEs out there after him.  Damn, I wish we had made a move up for JJ Watt last year. 

I don't like the idea of using both firsts to move up for one player unless that player proves to be a stud and is a sure bet.  Too many people on this thread have questions with Brockers and Still so I worry.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Faucet, I cringe at questioning your insight, but I don't think the RB's let us down yesterday whatever one might say about their ability.  I don't think we mixed it up enough with our RB's.  There was a time in the 3rd qr. I believe we had them flummoxed--our runs around the end and our short passes to that same end had them backed off.  They weren't rushing Brady as effectively.  But as soon as we left the run and threw 7-9 times in a row, they started t-ing off again.  The announcers even said that Coughlin had said he was afraid of our play action passes.  I think the running game will be more consistent if we run consistently--not just return to it from time to time.  As Brady ages, the run should be used more often.  We could control the clock better, etc.  This used to be BB's specialty.
    Posted by Critter23

Hey Critter.  At this point I'm just brainstorming, throwing out ideas.  I don't want to go RB either but if we lose Benny and Faulk are we thinking Polite, Woodhead, Ridley and Vereen will get the job done next year? 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

moss had a TD catch in the 2007 SB. it's called balance... we have TE's, infact we have the best in the NFL. you don't draft another one in round 2 with so many holes on the roster, "just incase" gronk happens to get hurt again, that's not the way you draft. rounds 4-7... sure go ahead and pick up a 3rd TE to block and give gronk a breather... round 2? what are you smoking? sounds like a man crush on fleener
    Posted by ricky12684

I agree with you Ricky and besides, Fleener is no Gronk.  Gronk is a beast because he's nearly 6'7", 270 lbs and runs a 4.68.  Fleener is probably closer to 6-5, than 6-6 and is listed at 245 and 4.78.  He can be covered by a quality LB where you need to bracket Gronk high and low with a LB and a S deep and still you can't stop him.

If we want to improve our offense, we need a better running game AND a deep threat AND a big tall physical receiver.  If we do all of that our offense will have no weaknesses and if we lose a player, they are plenty of other weapons to use.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : I think if they draft a guy like Kendall Wright or even Sanu this offense would be tough to stop.  Just imagine trying to defend the short game with gronk, hernandez, and welker and oh by the way you have to defend a guy like Kendall Wright and Brandon Lloyd if he signs.  I love BJGE but I think they'll let him go if he gets a good offer somewhere else.  That would open the door to more Ridley and hopefully seeing what Vareen has.  If it were me with the first 4 picks I draft one WR and the rest defense.  If you have shot at Konz maybe jump on him but other than WR it's all defense for needs. 
    Posted by PatsNut5480

I'm not saying not get a WR, I'm partial to Jarius Wright myself as a deep threat but consider having a legit backup a must when 80% of your passing O is based on a 2 TE set and you are only carrying 2.  A receiver doesn't need to have a 5 yard lead to be open when you are 6'6" and can out position/jump the CB/S.

I do think they need a WR but rather see a guy like Lloyd come in and draft a WR like Jarius Wright than spend a high pick on a position which is a crap shot.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : 80% of NE's passing O has been based on a 2 TE set because NE HAS NO LEGIT WR right now!!!!! with no legit deep threat, a 2 TE set becomes a necessity, not a choice.
    Posted by ricky12684

I'm not expert at all but listening to a few interviews from both BB and Brady they preffer to play the game from inside out.  A receiver inside the lines has a lot more options based on their read than an outsider receiver they can only go two ways up.

They preffer the high % 12 play drives and the options of the inside receivers.  Never said I wouldn't mind having an outside guy or drafting one just think there's higher value at having a guy who can keep the O going than a guy who can run fast with a limited number of routes and passes.

I'm more concenred with the RB situation if BJGE doesn't come back.  I think because one they draft two RBs and two they want pass protection from their RB a vet might be the way they go.  Maybe Tolbert from SD

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsNut5480. Show PatsNut5480's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : Hey Critter.  At this point I'm just brainstorming, throwing out ideas.  I don't want to go RB either but if we lose Benny and Faulk are we thinking Polite, Woodhead, Ridley and Vereen will get the job done next year? 
    Posted by Faucetman

I think you could probably get a decent running back on the cheap in free agency rather than drafting one.  Just checking the list of free agents someone like Chester Taylor, Tashard Choice, or Le'Ron McClain.  Just as a stop gap till Ridley and Vareen show they can handle the load as a 1-2 punch.  Now if Richardson somehow falls then we have something to consider haha.  Stranger things have happened.

Sections
Shortcuts