***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***:
    If we were going to show someone the money I would rather show Mario Williams it than Wallace and no draft picks involved.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

I agree on this one, Wallace great WR but Williams in BBs system would be huge.  Can line up any where on the DL except NT and play OLB. 

How about the money?  Who's getting the bigger contract?  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Anyone think Reggie Nelson is not an option at FS?  Brought up his name a while back in my dream scenario draft/FA signings and seen his name very little.

Something I don't know about him?

Sign Nelson, keep DM at CB, with Dowling, Arrington, Moore (who I think might give arrington a run for his money at RCB), Molden
    If healthy that's a better secondary.  You can still draft a CB/S in the draft but wouldn't be anywhere as much a need.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : That's what I'm talking about.  Thanks Wazzu.  Who else is getting on board?  We did this in 2007 with Welker and Moss and re-wrote the record books.  Our WRs are old, time to retool.  Here are the ages as of the 2012 season 33 Branch - 31 Lloyd 34 Ochocinco - 26 Wallace 31 Welker - 31 Welker 26 Edelman - 26 Edelman - 22 Rookie TBD (pick 63 or 95) - 22 Rookie TBD (UDFA)  23 Gronkowski - 23 Gronkowski 22 Hernandez - 22 Hernandez - F/A TE TBD  This would be more lethal than 2007!! No? Common guys, think outside the box a little.  Pick 31 for Mike Wallace.  Are you kidding me?  We gave up a 2nd and 7th for Welker and everyone called that the crime of the century.  Pick 31 is almost a 2nd rounder so just about the same price we paid for Welker.  We just have to show Wallace the money.  I'd take Wallace over Blackmon because of what he would do for our offense. A lot of people on here were talking Sanu at 31 and still are.  Would you rather have Sanu or Wallace?  Now you force PIT to not only spend the money or lose the player, they would have to go WR at 24 because Hines Ward is probably done or they'll have to overpay to keep him.  I guess they could get Sanu at 31 but Sanu is a different player than Wallace. Because we are the only team with two first rounders, we can afford to do it where nobody else can and other than the Giants, the cost to us would be the lowest. 
    Posted by Faucetman

I'd prefer something like this

33 Branch - 22 Rookie TBD
    34 Ochocinco - 31 Lloyd
    31 Welker - 31 Welker
    26 Edelman - 26 Edelman
    23 Gronkowski - 23 Gronkowski
    22 Hernandez - 22 Hernandez
    - 22 rookie, UDFA, or FA TE TBD

You cover the loss of Branch with another guy(in Llyod) who knows the system and take a *gulp* shot at another speedy WR(later) who has just as much chance of getting the Patriot system as Wallace I guess?

You could turn around and use 31 and 27 if you LOVE someone(defense) and go up and potentially get them since you didn't use 31 on Wallace.

There are some VERY interesting comments on Wallaces profile(on the bottom) on NFLDraftSCout from this year.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=68061&draftyear=2009&genpos=

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

How do you change your approach to the draft if in FA Pats did this:

Resign WW
    Sign Lloyd

Sign Adam Carriker DE/DT 27yrs old (6'6" 315lbs) experience in both 43 and 34 fronts in Washington
    Sign Reggie Nelson FS 28 yrs old
    Sign Ahmad Brooks OLB 27 yrs old 6'3" 259lbs 

Could the Pats have enough $$ to sign these guys?  How does this impact a draft.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : Wrong.  You just made my case for me.  Yes, signing bonuses are guaranteed and are prorated.  That is why players love the guarantee and teams love to prorate against the cap.  The player gets the big fat check up front.  Salaries are not guaranteed.  Players would rather have the big signing bonus and play for the smaller salary.  Mankins is playing for $1MM a year salary but got a $20MM signing bonus. So you give Wallace a big fat signing bonus.  Larry Fitzgerald got the biggest salary for a WR recently, it was a 8 year, $120MM contract with $50MM guaranteed.  Let's just say for sake of argument we give Wallace a similar deal (I'd argue for something a bit less, like $90MM with $40MM guaranteed over 7 years).  The $40MM gets prorated across 7 years so costs the cap $5.7MM a year.  Give him a $1MM base in years 1 and 2, so a $6.7MM cap charge in 2012 and 2013.   The remaining $48MM escalates.  It works like this: 2012 base $1MM, $5.7MM SB for $6.7MM cap hit 2013 base $1MM, $5.7MM SB for $6.7MM cap hit Welker comes off the books at this point having earned $10.5MM in 2012 and $12.6MM in 2013.  So, yes you are burning $17MM on 2 WRs in 2012 and $19MM in 2013 but only if you want to tag Welker twice.  But if we dump Wright, Brace and Ocho now, that frees $6.7MM which pays for Wallace in 2012.  We then let Light walk after 2012 freeing up another $4.5MM. 2014 base $4MM, $5.7 SB for $9.7MM cap hit 2015 base $5MM, $5.7 SB for 10.7MM cap hit We are still at a bargain in terms of cap 2016 base $7MM, $5.7 SB for $12.7MM cap hit. This is where you have to decide to restructure or cut.  If you cut him here, you take the final 2 years of SB as a one-time charge of $11.4MM but free up the remaining $32MM in salary. 2017 base $10MM, $5.7 SB for $15.7MM cap hit. 2018 base $22MM, $5.7 SB for $27.7MM cap hit. We would never pay those final 2 years so it is essentially a 5 year commitment. Gronk, Hernandez, Spikes, Deaderick and those guys are all signed through 2013 so you don't need to worry about them until 2014 and Welkers $12.7MM is now off the books.  The only major player to deal with after 2012 is Chung.  You restrict him for a year then deal with him in 2013. This example doesn't have to be for Wallace it could be for any big name Free Agent we might be after.
    Posted by Faucetman

Faucet he make take that kind of escalation but why would the Pats want to do that?

Look at those last 3 years for a minute. There will be roster bonuses and other guaranteed portions of the salary not accounted for. The NFLPA have fought hard for rules preventing such escalating contracts in which the last years are so silly and the player getting released with no base salary to work with. There are previsions that part of that final 3 years is counted as dead money (though not all of it) on top of the signing bonus to prevent this exact thing. If the Pats decide to cut bait after 4 years because of the contract you are talking dead money in the range of 15-20mil. It would greatly hurt the cap structure the Pats have set up for long term success. If you look at most of the Pats contracts they are front loaded so they aren't weighed down by long term dead money.

The best example of what you just stated is exactly what the Jets did with Holmes, Cro, Sanchez, and Revis. Now look at the mess they are in. It's just not a good idea to chain yourself up like that when you'll have 2 strong draft classes contracts coming up in the same time period in addition to the large holes that need to be filled this year. It's the same reason they didn't trade for Boldin when they had the chance to and that was for a lot less cost.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

How do you change your approach to the draft if in FA Pats did this: Resign WW Sign Lloyd Sign Adam Carriker DE/DT 27yrs old (6'6" 315lbs) experience in both 43 and 34 fronts in Washington Sign Reggie Nelson FS 28 yrs old Sign Ahmad Brooks OLB 27 yrs old 6'3" 259lbs  Could the Pats have enough $$ to sign these guys?  How does this impact a draft.  
    Posted by Pats7393

Yes I think they have money for this and I don't think it affects the draft that much. In a 34 we need 2 DE's and an OLB as starters. Deadrick's nice but he's not a starter imo and who else do you have? In a 43 you need 1 DT and 1 DE and OLB as starters. So either way you have a number of positions to fill even with Carriker and Brooks added and drafting young players is always a key to success. With the S, honestly Chung is the only one you bring back. McCourty if you want to move him to FS then that's fine but you still need to look at a S in the draft. The only exception might be Lloyd. If you bring in Lloyd then you still need a #3 WR but Hern can fill that role so you can go either TE or WR. If you don't get Lloyd then a #2 WR needs to be a priority over another TE

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Guys, this Wallace idea just came to me this morning.  I haven't had time to fully digest it.  I don't think we need to spend as much as I was suggesting earlier.  We have to look at this from Wallace's prospective.  The Steelers plan to restrict him at the first round level (the new max, as there is no more 1st and 3rd as part of the new CBA).  The cost to do so is $2.8MM.

Wallace was a third round pick meaning he's been getting paid squat.  $2.8MM for next year would seem like a lot to him.  However, the new CBA reducing the max tender to a 1st means elite players may have a chance at moving more than in the past under the 1st and 3rd rule as teams would never cough up that much in draft picks and money.  So, we just need to make an offer that blows away the $2.8MM plus what Wallace would expect to get after 2012.

The biggest thing most NFL players want is security.  Would Wallace rather play 1 year out at $2.8MM and risk a career ending injury or sign a 5-7 year deal with a nice signing bonus and be set for life?  The answer to me is obvious.  So again, the Pats are the only team with 2 first rounders so likely would be the only team to even consider this so the Steelers and Patriots would be the only suitors.

NE could offer a 5 year $50MM contract with $25MM secured and Wallace gets $25MM guaranteed instead of $2.8MM.  So now we are talking about half of the contract I was discussing before.  Worst case, PIT is forced to match spending that money a year earlier and not having it to help them next season.  Best case, we steel Wallace away, strengthen ourselves while weakening a key conference rival at a manageable cap number.  We would still have the money to get Lloyd.

Now, I was looking at other RFAs that might be worth doing this too.  Arian Foster is in the same boat.  The Texans are up against the cap.  They can't afford to tag Williams and can barely afford to restrict Foster.  So, would we rather play this game with Foster or Wallace or both?

The best strategy for these players is to not sign the RFA tender and hope to get a qualifying offer which their team has to match.  This is their only bargaining chip.  We could do this game to both and hurt two AFC rivals.  We just have to make it a decent contract offer, not a record setter because if you're these kids, would you rather have $25MM now in the bank or $2.8MM in the bank and a year's chance of injury before maybe getting $30-40MM guaranteed?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : Faucet he make take that kind of escalation but why would the Pats want to do that? Look at those last 3 years for a minute. There will be roster bonuses and other guaranteed portions of the salary not accounted for. The NFLPA have fought hard for rules preventing such escalating contracts in which the last years are so silly and the player getting released with no base salary to work with. There are previsions that part of that final 3 years is counted as dead money (though not all of it) on top of the signing bonus to prevent this exact thing. If the Pats decide to cut bait after 4 years because of the contract you are talking dead money in the range of 15-20mil. It would greatly hurt the cap structure the Pats have set up for long term success. If you look at most of the Pats contracts they are front loaded so they aren't weighed down by long term dead money. The best example of what you just stated is exactly what the Jets did with Holmes, Cro, Sanchez, and Revis. Now look at the mess they are in. It's just not a good idea to chain yourself up like that when you'll have 2 strong draft classes contracts coming up in the same time period in addition to the large holes that need to be filled this year. It's the same reason they didn't trade for Boldin when they had the chance to and that was for a lot less cost.
    Posted by PatsEng

I'm not familiar with these new rules so will have to research that but just pointed out, we can probably do this for about half of what I originally proposed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : I agree on this one, Wallace great WR but Williams in BBs system would be huge.  Can line up any where on the DL except NT and play OLB.  How about the money?  Who's getting the bigger contract?    
    Posted by Pats7393

Williams would get the bigger deal.  He was the #1 overall pick and is coming off a 6 year, $54MM deal.  Anybody can play for Williams and there will be a lot of takers.

Wallace is making squat and has two choices, stay with PIT at $2.8MM next year or move on to a team who has a 1st to burn and make 5-10X that.

Williams was a two time ALL PRO but his production has been down the past two seasons.  We might get him for a similar deal that he had as I don't think he deserves a raise.  Houston cannot afford to tag him, that much is known.  So, he's ripe for the picking.

I like Campbell from Arizona too.  If we load up now, then the draft can be all about development.

Regular Season Defensive Interceptions Fumbles
    SeasonTeamGamesTacklesSoloAssistsSacksPass DefIntYdsAvgTdLgForcedRecYdsTd
    2006Houston164735124.53000.0001100
    2007Houston16594316141000.00021381
    2008Houston1653449120000.0004000
    2009Houston164338593000.0002100
    2010Houston13282268.52000.0001000
    Total5 seasons772301824848.0900000103381

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I haven't heard a whole lot about Jake Bequette, DE, Arkansas.  I'm surprised that he isn't up the board more.  Any thoughts?

I don't think that Barron will be there when the Pats pick but if he is it's a no brainer.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I haven't heard a whole lot about Jake Bequette, DE, Arkansas.  I'm surprised that he isn't up the board more.  Any thoughts? I don't think that Barron will be there when the Pats pick but if he is it's a no brainer.
    Posted by garytx

I like Bequette, will be interesting to see him in some LB drills.  6'5" 271 and scout.com has a report that he was clocked in the 4.6s.  If he shows good feet and hips are not too tight this kid is an option at LB.  Struggled at times to get off blocks but hope Peppers can fix some of that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I haven't heard a whole lot about Jake Bequette, DE, Arkansas.  I'm surprised that he isn't up the board more.  Any thoughts? I don't think that Barron will be there when the Pats pick but if he is it's a no brainer.
    Posted by garytx

Hey gt,
    I have him on my Top 25 Watch List and think he's in the discussion in the middle rounds, especially if they're looking to go more 43, where I think he'd fit best.

Curious to see how or if he performs in LB drills at the combine.

Kid has very good size and length, and on tape he shows decent athleticism/COD, very good aggression/motor, good first step and burst of the snap... he also displays some pretty good instincts and ability as a run defender. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Posted by garytx

I mentioned him before.  I like him in the 4th.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportslover21. Show sportslover21's posts

Been a while since my last post, but between being sick and the Patriots loss, haven't even wanted too, but now I am ready for the offseason.

Just a point I thought I'd throw out there.

It's being reported that Mark Barron, will need to have double hernia surgery and will be out until July/August which could certainly affect his draft stock a bit in my estimation.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Guys, thanks for the response on Bequette.  My thinking is he would be a steal in the 4th round as I'm surprised I don't see him ranked higher. 

mbeau - I saw him on your list but hadn't seen any talk about him.  The Pats could use a DE of his caliber.  I like what Pats7393 had to say about possibilities at LB.  Being to play either spot would be huge thus increasing his value.  The 4th round just seems so late to me.

Double hernia...ouch!  That will hurt his stock alright.  Even if he comes in late the Pats need to get this guy.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Been a while since my last post, but between being sick and the Patriots loss, haven't even wanted too, but now I am ready for the offseason. Just a point I thought I'd throw out there. It's being reported that Mark Barron, will need to have double hernia surgery and will be out until July/August which could certainly affect his draft stock a bit in my estimation.
    Posted by sportslover21

Can't find anything on this, just a bunch of fan sites asking the same.  Be hard to hide a double hernia, if they did has been a hell of a job hiding it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportslover21. Show sportslover21's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : Can't find anything on this, just a bunch of fan sites asking the same.  Be hard to hide a double hernia, if they did has been a hell of a job hiding it.
    Posted by Pats7393

Pretty reliable draft source on twitter, tweeted it earlier today. Just saying what I heard. Could be off base, but I find it hard to believe he'd throw it out there if he hadn't heard it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : Pretty reliable draft source on twitter, tweeted it earlier today. Just saying what I heard. Could be off base, but I find it hard to believe he'd throw it out there if he hadn't heard it.
    Posted by sportslover21

Hacked twitter account lol yeah I saw that Joe Everett had twitted that.  I don't know just think those would be huge news and would be everywhere from ESPN to NFL network.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportslover21. Show sportslover21's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : Hacked twitter account lol yeah I saw that Joe Everett had twitted that.  I don't know just think those would be huge news and would be everywhere from ESPN to NFL network.
    Posted by Pats7393

I doubt it would be on either ESPN or NFLN at this point to be honest. Just saying what I hear. Not sure I personally believe it yet, but like I said, would be dumb for someone like him to tweet it, if he wasn't sure of it.

Just a discussion point nonetheless, I am sure we will hear more either way soon enough.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : I doubt it would be on either ESPN or NFLN at this point to be honest. Just saying what I hear. Not sure I personally believe it yet, but like I said, would be dumb for someone like him to tweet it, if he wasn't sure of it. Just a discussion point nonetheless, I am sure we will hear more either way soon enough.
    Posted by sportslover21

Oh this would be a huge discussion topic you are correct there.  Not sure if he can be back by August if it would be a huge deal but some teams might shy away.  If he's back 100% by August then don't think it will hurt him too much.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

How do you change your approach to the draft if in FA Pats did this: Resign WW Sign Lloyd Sign Adam Carriker DE/DT 27yrs old (6'6" 315lbs) experience in both 43 and 34 fronts in Washington Sign Reggie Nelson FS 28 yrs old Sign Ahmad Brooks OLB 27 yrs old 6'3" 259lbs  Could the Pats have enough $$ to sign these guys?  How does this impact a draft.  
    Posted by Pats7393

If the Pats did that I would be very very happy. I like Carriker a lot, and he would be a nice bookend in the 3-4. Lloyd a no brainer if the money is right, and same with Wes. I like Nelson as a FS, and we would be fortunate to land Ahmad Brooks on top of all that.

IF the Pats signed all these guys, I think it changes things a bit. I would definitely take a TE high over a WR, and I would also look to grab another DT/DE in the mold of Carriker. I may even package to move up and grab Brockers or Still. Can you imagine Carriker, VW, Still on the line together, with Deaderick/Love/Pryor providing depth? That is a nice line. It may also influence my decision to bring back Anderson and Carter if we have a 3-4 line that strong..meaning, you could kick Carriker out in the 4-3 to end, Still inside next to VW and then maybe put a Curry on the other end if you grabbed him in the 2nd round.

I agree with PatsEng...I would still be targeting an OLB even if we landed Brooks, although Curry would be my swing guy...You'd have Curry Spikes Mayo Brooks as our LBs.

Nelson/Chung as Safeties, McCourty and Moore/Dowling as your CBs...Molden, Arrington for depth.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : Hey gt, I have him on my Top 25 Watch List and think he's in the discussion in the middle rounds, especially if they're looking to go more 43, where I think he'd fit best. Curious to see how or if he performs in LB drills at the combine. Kid has very good size and length, and on taope he shows decent athleticism/COD, very good aggression/motor, good first step and burst of the snap... he also displays some pretty good instincts and ability as a run defender. 
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

Agree. He could be a low money option to replace Carter/Anderson. He kind of reminds me of your boy Kerrigan. I would grab him with a 4th if he lasted that long. I've seen him mocked anywhere from the 3rd to 5th rounds. Honestly, I think after the combine, this kid to move up into the 3rd.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : Hey gt, I have him on my Top 25 Watch List and think he's in the discussion in the middle rounds, especially if they're looking to go more 43, where I think he'd fit best. Curious to see how or if he performs in LB drills at the combine. Kid has very good size and length, and on taope he shows decent athleticism/COD, very good aggression/motor, good first step and burst of the snap... he also displays some pretty good instincts and ability as a run defender. 
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

he was in my first mock and has made it in every one i have done since, the kid has great size and is very intelligent as well, perfect patriot model for DE/OLB

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

nepatriotsdraft.com has a pretty cool mock for the Pats:

Trade #31 & #48 to Cinncy for #17 & their 5th  for Brockers
    #27  Nick Perry  DE/OLB  USC
    #63  Joe Adams WR Arkansas
    3rd Rnd  Trumanine Johnson  CB/S  Montana
    4th Rnd  Shaun Prater CB  Iowa
    5th  Trade for a 6th & 7th
    6th  Brad Smelly  TE  "Bama
    7th  Dale Moss  WR  South Dakota St.

I like this scenario because I feel like Brockers is a rare prospect.  He may not even last 'till 17, but if he did, this would be a trade worth making, IMO.  Perry would really help our pass rush, and I've been high on Johnson for a while.  He is a kid who is a natural corner, but could transition to saftey.  Would give NE a little freedom to either transition McCourty to full time FS or keep him at Corner.  Smelly is a great blocking TE, with some upside as a pass catcher.  Supposedly a great character guy too.  Moss is just a raw, big reciever at 6'3" 220.  Worth a shot in the 7th.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Wow, I wasn't the only one thinking this.

2012 NFL Free Agency: Should the Buccaneers Go After Mike Wallace?

By (Analyst) on February 7, 2012

143 reads

GLENDALE, AZ - OCTOBER 23:  Wide receiver Mike Wallace #17 of the Pittsburgh Steelers runs with the football on a 95 touchdown reception against the Arizona Cardinals during the second quarter of the NFL game at the University of Phoenix Stadium on October 23, 2011 in Glendale, Arizona. The Steelers defeated the Cardinals 32-20.  (Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images) Christian Petersen/Getty Images

Assuming Mike Wallace does not agree to a contract extension before free agency opens on March 13th, he will be a restricted free agent.  In recent years not many of the top restricted free agents have switched teams because their current team could tender them with a first- and third-round pick.  The two picks were a higher price than most teams would be willing to pay.

That has changed with the new CBA.  The maximum tender for a restricted free agent is now a first-round pick.  That means you might see more movement with the top restricted free agents on the market.  Some teams will think it is a better investment to trade the first round pick for a known commodity instead of spending a draft pick on a guy who has never played a down in the NFL.

The one thing that is still going to make it hard to acquire a restricted free agent is that the player's current team has the right to match any offer he receives.  So in order to get a restricted player away from a team, you have to be willing to not only give up a first-round pick, but you also have to be willing to pay that player and amount that his team is not willing to match.

That brings us to Mike Wallace.  There is no doubt that Mike Wallace has established himself as one of the best wide receivers in the NFL.  Over the past two year he has 132 catches for 2,450 yards and 18 touchdowns.  That is an average of 18.6 yards per catch.

The Buccaneers are not going to be able to find a player that can come in and make an immediate impact like Wallace would, even with the fifth overall pick in this year's draft.  However, with all of the needs that Tampa Bay has on both sides of the ball, they cannot afford to pay Wallace the amount of money it would take to make an offer that the Pittsburgh Steelers would be willing to match.

So while the prospects of adding Mike Wallace are exciting, it is a deal that the Buccaneers simply cannot afford to make.

Sections
Shortcuts