***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : ABSOLUTELY!!  Adams isn't short either by any means.  He's 5-11.  He does many things well and BB would love that in him.  He could use a little more muscle though.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE] 

Right now I rather have TY Hilton or Jarius Wright than Adams.  I would not be at all upset if they drafted in the 3rd Jones and went right back to WR in the 4th with either Hilton or Wright.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

[QUOTE]Why wasting a high 2nd round pick on a 5"11 kick returner (Joe Adams)? The Pats need a TALL (6"4-6"5) receiver (who ever that might be)!
    Posted by FrogLegs[/QUOTE]

The supposition that height is a distinct advantage when comparing a 6'4" receiver to a 5'11" receiver is absolutely true but only when the skill-set is the same. Therein lies the difference.  In Adams we not only have a true "barn-burner" WR but also a ST's ace.  Our kick-off return performance also needed a serious upgrade and Adams appears well qualified to provide that too.  I'm not suggesting that a 6'4" WR wouldn't be an attractive find for the Pats but rather commenting that Adams appears to offer dominance in two needed areas.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Ha, no prob, forgot is was only 9 AM out where you are. While I'd like to see them pull in atleast one quality FA WR, I wouldn't rule out them targeting two very good WR's in the draft, though their track record for developing them hasn't been very good.  Randle/Adams would represent a whole lot of SEC talent and upside! I think Branch may get another year on short money... hope Ocho is gone.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

Our track record for developing WRs has been disappointing.  Some analysts have suggested that BB does not heavily rely on collegiate wr performance  as much as he does for measurables (3 cone drill, speed etc) when drafting. As a result the players selected are not game ready (they have not demonstrated dominance as a wr) for the role BB places them in.  Perhaps they are most comfortable as a slot receiver and not experienced on the outside etc. Marvin Jones was forced to play as a slot receiver in the All Star games...Cody Glenn played inside instead of OT etc. Projecting a player for a new role is always risky. Some can adapt, others struggle with the change.

There is every indication that this may change.  BB is not immune to criticism and may be listening to what analysts are saying in that he's a perfectionist and he craves success.  In addition, the return of McDaniels seems to be fortuitous in that Moss's best year (2007) occurred under McDaniels watch and ditto for Lloyd who desires to follow McDaniels because his own success occurred under McDaniels.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Mock thoughts: Thompson & Sanu

Nolan Nawrocki of Pro Football Weekly, a personal favorite on the draft analysis circuit, previously produced his first mock draft and it slipped under the radar. 

With the No. 27 pick acquired from the Saints, Nawrocki gives the Patriots defensive lineman Brandon Thompson of Clemson. 

"Although the Tigers' program has been known to produce underachieving talent that does not fit well with the culture in New England, the program has shaped up under the direction of Dabo Swinney," Nawrocki writes. "Thompson offers the versatility desired to allow the Patriots' front to more effectively use multiple looks."

With their own first-round pick, Nawrocki envisions a scenario where Rutgers receiver Mohamed Sanu could be the pick. 

"With Chad Ochocinco struggling to grasp the offense and contract situations still to be resolved for Wes Welker and Deion Branch, the Patriots look to another safe, versatile Rutgers product earlier than expected, similar to when they selected Devin McCourty," Nawrocki writes.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! :   Right now I rather have TY Hilton or Jarius Wright than Adams.  I would not be at all upset if they drafted in the 3rd Jones and went right back to WR in the 4th with either Hilton or Wright.
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

Lots of different ways we could go at WR.  There are a ton on the open F/A market and in the draft.  I would be happy to bring Branch back on the cheap and get 1 in Free Agency, 1 in the draft.  But, Ocho isn't an easy cut.  There is a lot of dead money there.  We are looking at $3.2MM in dead money saving just $1.5MM in cap.

Hilton is more of a slot guy, isn't he?  We're pretty set there with Welker and Edelman. 

As for Adams vs. Wright, Wright is obviously the more accomplished receiver.  But Adams will give you more on special teams.  He returned 4 punts for TDs last year.  Both are burners and I bet Mallett can give BB a little insight.  It just depends what you're looking for.  I'd be happy with either.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]Mock thoughts: Thompson & Sanu By Mike Reiss Nolan Nawrocki of Pro Football Weekly, a personal favorite on the draft analysis circuit, previously produced his  first mock draft  and it slipped under the radar.  With the No. 27 pick acquired from the Saints, Nawrocki gives the Patriots defensive lineman Brandon Thompson of Clemson.  "Although the Tigers' program has been known to produce underachieving talent that does not fit well with the culture in New England, the program has shaped up under the direction of Dabo Swinney," Nawrocki writes. "Thompson offers the versatility desired to allow the Patriots' front to more effectively use multiple looks." With their own first-round pick, Nawrocki envisions a scenario where Rutgers receiver Mohamed Sanu could be the pick.  "With Chad Ochocinco struggling to grasp the offense and contract situations still to be resolved for Wes Welker and Deion Branch, the Patriots look to another safe, versatile Rutgers product earlier than expected, similar to when they selected Devin McCourty," Nawrocki writes.
    Posted by Rocky[/QUOTE]
    I highly doubt we target either.  Sanu has great numbers but he doesn't get separation, isn't very sudden or explosive.  I like him but he better run sub 4.55 at the Combine or he will have trouble going in the 2nd round.  Thompson is too short for what BB likes in a 34 DE at 6-2, 310 I see him strictly as a 43 DT.  Who is this Nawrocki? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

CB Stanford Routt joins Chiefs

By John Clayton
    ESPN.com
    Archive

In an effort to improve their man-to-man coverage ability, the Kansas City Chiefs reached agreement with former Oakland Raiders cornerback Stanford Routt, the team announced Monday.

Routt will receive $6.5 million in guarantees and will make $11 million this season as part of a three-year deal, a source said. The Raiders released him from a three-year, $31.5 million deal after the season that paid him $10 million in 2011.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

With the Chiefs picking up Routt it seems clear they are letting Carr go.  We should make a play for him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Wow Routt should set the market for CB's. 3 years 20mil? with only 5mil signing bonus. That's pretty cheap imo. Might be able to get a good CB cheap now

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Lots of different ways we could go at WR.  There are a ton on the open F/A market and in the draft.  I would be happy to bring Branch back on the cheap and get 1 in Free Agency, 1 in the draft.  But, Ocho isn't an easy cut.  There is a lot of dead money there.  We are looking at $3.2MM in dead money saving just $1.5MM in cap. Hilton is more of a slot guy, isn't he?  We're pretty set there with Welker and Edelman.  As for Adams vs. Wright, Wright is obviously the more accomplished receiver.  But Adams will give you more on special teams.  He returned 4 punts for TDs last year.  Both are burners and I bet Mallett can give BB a little insight.  It just depends what you're looking for.  I'd be happy with either.

I don't know if he's just a slot type receiver, he lined up both inside and outside at Florida Int. mostly in the slot but has the route running ability, hands and speed to lineup anywhere IMO. Makes the tough catches will fight for the ball and has good speed to got some respect.  Want to see him in drills at the combine.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

On the opening day for teams to use the franchise tag on players, discussions between the New England Patriots and free-agent-to-be wideout Wes Welker reportedly remain at a standstill.

La Canfora: A game of tag
    Teams now are free to put franchise tags on players. Jason La Canfora breaks down what moves you can expect to see. More ...

There has yet to be a breakthrough in negotiations between the two parties for a long-term contract, a source told the Boston Herald on Monday.

League sources told NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora that the Patriots would not let Welker depart as a free agent.

Welker has expressed his desire to remain in New England, telling reporters, via the Herald, the week of Super Bowl XLVI that "I plan on being back so I’m not really too worried about that right now."

The 31-year-old Welker earned $2.15 million last year and caught 122 passes for 1,569 yards and nine touchdowns.

If the Patriots designate Welker as their franchise player -- they have until March 5 at 4 p.m. ET, according the Herald -- the team would have to pay him about $9.4 million next season.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

When looking at the state the Steelers and Colts are in right now it's really remarkable what the Patriots have been able to do.

Sorry was just taking a moment to reflect and marvel at the sustainability.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : I wouldn't call Curry a workout warrior. He has the production and film in college as a solid player. Truthfully the only thing keeping out of top 20 status might be the conference he's in. If he was in SEC with the same stats he'd be up there with Upshaw maybe higher. Not exactly a workout warrior like Gholston
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

Workout warrior = OK (Doesn't by name alone mean their isn't also good production and game film to back it up)

Looks and moves like Tarzan in shorts but plays like Jane = Bad :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]I hate to even bring this topic up but it should at least be discussed because it is being discussed everywhere.  Randy Moss.  I know, but look at the sequence of events.  Has to make you wonder. Oct 2010.  Moss gets into heated exchange with Bill O'Brien at half time of Dolphin's game.  First game Moss didn't record a catch with the Pats.  He is traded less than 48 hours later. Aug 8, 2011.  Moss flies to NE to meet with Kraft and personally gives his condolences on the passing of Myra. Dec 11, 2011.  Bill O'Brien gets into huge argument with Tom Brady on National TV following Brady's INT against WAS in a game that was clinched.  At the time I remember thinking that this will not be a Moss situation were BB sides with the coach.  If this causes anyone to leave, it will be O'Brien, not TB12. Jan 2, 2012.  Josh McDaniels is fired by the Rams. Jan 7, 2012.  Bill O'Brien named new Head Coach of Penn State, less than 1 month since the fight with Brady. Jan 8, 2012.  Patriots announce Josh McDaniels is coming back immediately.  (now for McDaniels to come back literally hours from O'Brien leaving, this had to have been planned.  Discussions had to have taken place before O'Brien took the Penn State job.  I bet BB met with O'Brien and was told this would be his last year and that you don't yell at TB on live TV, period.  First Moss, now Brady?  Reports surfaced shortly after that O'Brien was a hot-head.  A change was needed whether it was BB or Kraft who decided it, this happened fast.) Feb 5, 2012.  Pats lose the Super Bowl, NFL season over. Feb 13, 2012. Moss announces plans to come out of retirement. Not saying or even hinting I want Moss back, because I don't.  I'm just pointing out the sequence of events and that Brady always stated his support publicly for Moss even after he ended up in Tennessee.  Moss and McDaniels had an excellent rapport, their 2007 season was one for the record books.  Moss was still on top of his game when he left NE recording 3 straight years ('07-'09) with over 69 catches and 1,000 yards and at least 11 TDs in each year.  2010 started off slow but he still was 9/139/3 after 4 games.  Extrapolate that out and you have 36/556/12.  If you count it as 3 games since he didn't record a catch in the 4th and was basically done at half time, it would have been a more respectable, 48/741/16.  But keep in mind, 2010 marked the arrival of Hernandez and Gronk so there were going to be fewer balls heading Moss' way no matter what. Moss has always said the right things about NE after leaving.  Clearly Moss wants to come back, but do the Patriots want him back?  IDK.  Besides the obvious questions about him taking plays off, and whether or not he can still run a sub 4.40, and how much would it cost and would he spoil the locker room, etc., does BB want him back?  That's the main question.  Ocho was a failure.  Moss at least is somewhat of a known commodity in NE. Anyone else find it weird he would decide to un-retire a week after the SB and a week before the start of free agency?  I have to wonder if there have been talks between Moss and the Pats prior to his announcement.  There would be no harm in that since he was retired.  I wonder if O'Brien leaving had anything to do with the argument with Brady and once it was announced that McDaniels was coming back whether or not that opened the door ever so slightly for Moss to return to NE. If Moss replaced Ocho, he certainly would be an upgrade.  I don't know if he would command double teams anymore but he could probably still win his share of one-on-ones.  Will be interesting to see where he goes.

HUGE stretch to imply there is any correlation to the sideline exchange. OB was rumored to be up for interest for other HC jobs within the NFL had he not taken the PS job.

Also, while BB never says anything negative about any player or coach who leaves the organization, he rarely if ever says anything overly positive either about someone if it's unwarranted.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Brandon Lloyd is open to returning to the St. Louis Rams next season, but certainly isn't turning his back on the possibility of joining the New England Patriots, either.

Lloyd's quest to reunite with Josh McDaniels for a second time took another turn Monday, when the Pro Bowl receiver expressed his desire to play for the coach under whom he enjoyed the best season of his career. 

La Canfora: A game of tag
    Teams now are free to put franchise tags on players. Jason La Canfora breaks down what moves you can expect to see. More ...

"I find that very interesting. I would like to entertain that and see where that goes. I’ve made no bones about that," Lloyd said Monday on ProFootballTalk.com's "PFT Live". "I’ve been very successful in Josh’s offense. I admire Tom Brady. I admire what that organization has done. I admire that organization and how they run things over there. I’d definitely be interested in hearing how I could possibly fit into that equation."

Lloyd, who posted career numbers playing for McDaniels in Denver in 2010, was traded midway through last season to the Rams, where McDaniels was offensive coordinator. McDaniels now holds the same position in New England.

Lloyd's agent, Tom Condon, told the Boston Herald last week that he'd be willing to work toward a deal with the Patriots despite his past history with the franchise.

"(Lloyd would) like to be with Josh," Condon said. "He'd also like to get paid. I think he'll be a player teams will be interested in."

Lloyd had 77 receptions for 1,448 yards and 11 touchdowns in 2010, all career highs, when McDaniels was head coach of the Denver Broncos. He had 51 receptions for 683 yards and five touchdowns in 10 games after teaming up with McDaniels in St. Louis this past season.

Lloyd told "PFT Live" that the Rams do have a chance to re-sign him this offseason, and he wouldn't object if they used their franchise tag to retain him.

“A pay raise is always welcomed,” Lloyd said.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : HUGE stretch to imply there is any correlation to the sideline exchange. OB was rumored to be up for interest for other HC jobs within the NFL had he not taken the PS job. Also, while BB never says anything negative about any player or coach who leaves the organization, he rarely if ever says anything overly positive either about someone if it's unwarranted.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, the more I look at this the more I'm pretty certain Moss won't be back with the Pats.  I'm not sure he'll end up with any team to be honest.  You can't quit as an athlete and not expect that to scare the crap out of teams who you want to pay you a multi million dollar deal.  I doubt Haynesworth will ever play again either.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Our track record for developing WRs has been disappointing.  Some analysts have suggested that BB does not heavily rely on collegiate wr performance  as much as he does for measurables (3 cone drill, speed etc) when drafting. As a result the players selected are not game ready (they have not demonstrated dominance as a wr) for the role BB places them in.  Perhaps they are most comfortable as a slot receiver and not experienced on the outside etc. Marvin Jones was forced to play as a slot receiver in the All Star games...Cody Glenn played inside instead of OT etc. Projecting a player for a new role is always risky. Some can adapt, others struggle with the change. There is every indication that this may change.  BB is not immune to criticism and may be listening to what analysts are saying in that he's a perfectionist and he craves success.  In addition, the return of McDaniels seems to be fortuitous in that Moss's best year (2007) occurred under McDaniels watch and ditto for Lloyd who desires to follow McDaniels because his own success occurred under McDaniels.
    Posted by moskk[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I hope they're re-evaluating their own draft evaluation process as it pertains to WR's, because something is definitely broken.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : Mankins had a horrible game.  I wonder if he aggravated that strained ACL.  I also agree with your observations that it seems our OL isn't as solid in run blocking as they are in pass blocking.  OLs typically love to run block so I think it is a matter of emphasis, protecting Brady vs. opening holes for the RBs. We haven't had an elite back since Corey Dillon and he was elite just the first of his 3 years as a Patriot.  Dillon was only elite as a runner.  He didn't do much in the passing game.  Foster does both, that's why I keep bringing him up.  If we could get Foster at the price of just pick 31, we'd be getting a guy who is just 25 and still has a ton left in the tank.  We got Dillon when he was 29, he turned 30 in Oct of his first season with us in 2004.  We gave up a 2nd round pick, #56 overall for Dillon.  To get Foster for pick 31 would seem like a bargain, but I doubt we'd do it.

Mankins had a poor year.

When the Pats got Dillon he had ripped off 6 consecutive 1000+ yard seasons prior ro having a down year. He had missed 4 games total in 7 seasons. All while playing for the dregs of the league. HE was the offensive weapon. Go look up the Bengals history or great players(offensive weapons) during his time. Blake and pickens at the end of their usefulness?

Fosters been in the league 3 seasons. Not played in 13 games.  More than three times as many missed in less than half the time. He's also playing in an offense that features one of if not the premiere deep threat WR in the NFL currently. Now maybe he will ultimately qualify for mentioning in the same breath as Dillon or even surpass him but not yet.

Heck Ben Tate on the same team just rushed for almost 1000 yards(942) and a 5.4yard avg maybe he is elite too? or just maybe that scheme, offensive line, play calling, passing game, and commitment to the run have just a lil bit to do with Fosters success?

Foster and Tate just combined for 453 rushing attempts.

BJGE, Woodhead, and Ridley combined for only 345 rushing attempts

So just two backs for Houston had more rushing attempts than three of the Patriots combined.

So while BJGE may not be elite and Foster not elite yet the Patriots running game is Not a result of RB talent inadequacies, IMO. How, when, and how often they are used, are.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]Brandon Lloyd is open to returning to the St. Louis Rams next season, but certainly isn't turning his back on the possibility of joining the New England Patriots , either. Lloyd's quest to reunite with Josh McDaniels for a second time took another turn Monday, when the Pro Bowl receiver expressed his desire to play for the coach under whom he enjoyed the best season of his career.  La Canfora: A game of tag Teams now are free to put franchise tags on players. Jason La Canfora breaks down what moves you can expect to see. More ... "I find that very interesting. I would like to entertain that and see where that goes. I’ve made no bones about that," Lloyd said Monday on ProFootballTalk.com's "PFT Live" . "I’ve been very successful in Josh’s offense. I admire Tom Brady . I admire what that organization has done. I admire that organization and how they run things over there. I’d definitely be interested in hearing how I could possibly fit into that equation." Lloyd, who posted career numbers playing for McDaniels in Denver in 2010, was traded midway through last season to the Rams, where McDaniels was offensive coordinator. McDaniels now holds the same position in New England. Lloyd's agent, Tom Condon, told the Boston Herald last week that he'd be willing to work toward a deal with the Patriots despite his past history with the franchise. "(Lloyd would) like to be with Josh," Condon said. "He'd also like to get paid. I think he'll be a player teams will be interested in." Lloyd had 77 receptions for 1,448 yards and 11 touchdowns in 2010, all career highs, when McDaniels was head coach of the Denver Broncos . He had 51 receptions for 683 yards and five touchdowns in 10 games after teaming up with McDaniels in St. Louis this past season. Lloyd told "PFT Live" that the Rams do have a chance to re-sign him this offseason, and he wouldn't object if they used their franchise tag to retain him. “A pay raise is always welcomed,” Lloyd said.

I ALWAYS hate to hear guys yapping about getting paid. Even if it comes from their agent at times. ..and that's not to say I begrudge any of them to get as much as they can. I think they should. Just don't go around flapping your jaws about it.

Annoys the heck out of me.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

"2012 Potential Patriots Draft Database" 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

TO MB:  I see you had Miami taking Riley Ruff OT  with their first pick.  Talk today on NFL Radio saying that with Mike Sherman on board at Miami and they do not get  a QB in free agency they would considrr taking Tanehill ( 3rd best QB?) in the first round .. I doubt he would go that low so I assume they would trade down a few slots.

so

is QB that big a concern over OL for Miami?

would he still be there for then with thei 2nd pick?

if he goes 1st round to them I would assume we could only benefit with some better guy could slide to us.  or does Ruff slide by us and nothing changes. Any ideas who might make it to 27 if this plays out?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

RE: Barron. 

Double Hernias

A double hernia -- commonly a bilateral hernia -- occurs when you have two hernias. Typically, the hernias occur on the left and right sides of your body. The occurrence of the first hernia may heighten the risk for the second, companion hernia. While doctors may monitor the progress of a single hernia, double hernias almost always require surgery as support belts, wraps and briefs can't provide the support necessary to compensate for the damage associated with a double hernia.

Surgery

The least invasive type of surgery is laparoscopic repair. A small camera attached to a telescope is inserted through an incision under the belly button. Two small cuts about the size of a pencil eraser are made in the lower abdomen and used to repair the hernia using a mesh. In open repair a larger incision is made. Your surgeon will recommend which type of surgery is best for you.

Recovery

Recovery from laproscopic repair should allow you to get back to normal activities such as showering, walking up stairs, work, lifting, sexual intercourse and driving, possibly within a few days, though individuals can vary significantly in their recovery. You will probably have a two-week follow up with your doctor, during which you can evaluate your condition and discuss exercise plans. You will likely have to refrain from heavy lifting, including weight lifting, and rigorous workouts for at least six to eight weeks. Ask your doctor about whether you should wear a girdle or support belt. Avoid pushing or applying abdominal pressure when you cough, have bowel movements and urinate.

Types of Workouts

While you will need to refrain from weight lifting and exercises that place pressure on your abdominal wall, you probably can still do certain activities while you are recovering. Walking provides aerobic activity, burns calories and helps keep your muscles toned. Other cardiovascular activity, such as swimming, biking or gentle aerobic classes also help to maintain your fitness during recovery. Yoga enhances muscle tone and you can choose positions that minimize abdominal stress. Speak with your health care provider about getting exercises that help strengthen your abdominal wall during recovery, and follow your caregiver's instructions on exercise. Until you are given the go-ahead by your physician, avoid exercises that cause you to push or strain your abdominal muscles.

Sports

Your participation in non-contact sports like baseball, tennis and basketball can resume in six to eight weeks, but given the nature of sports and the possibility of accidental contact, it is always best to inform your doctor of your intentions. Contact sports like football or hockey should be avoided for at least 12 weeks.

Alabama safety Mark Barron will not be able to participate in the upcoming Scouting Combine after undergoing a double-hernia surgery, NFLDraftScout.com has confirmed. 

Barron is the only safety currently rated by NFLDraftScout.com as a first round talent.

There had been speculation at the Senior Bowl that Barron had been unable to participate in the event due to a pre-existing medical condition. 

The rehabilitation for a hernia surgery typically runs two to four weeks but can extend up to eight weeks. The Combine is scheduled to begin in less than two weeks, covering February 22-28 in Indianapolis. 

Complicating matters is that Barron may not be sufficiently healed or in the shape he'll want to be when Alabama holds their Pro Day March 7.

A high-ranking team official thought to be considering using a high pick on a defensive back in the April draft didn't think the surgery would have any lasting impact on Barron's stock.

"No, I can't see it having any real impact on his stock," the source said on the condition of anonymity. "I mean, he's got to get it healthy but he's a damn good football player with lots of tape. No one is going to drop him if he isn't able to run in Indy [Combine] or at their Pro Day."

At 6-2, 218 pounds Barron has the size and athleticism scouts are looking for at the position. He earned First Team All-SEC honors after each of his three starting seasons with the Tide and was voted a consensus All-American as a senior. He leaves Alabama ranked eighth in school history with 12 interceptions and also has 235 tackles and 34 passes defensed to his credit. 

Barron is the second Alabama senior to miss the Combine due to an injury. Senior nose guard Josh Chapman will also not be able to work out after it was discovered that he played through a torn ACL this season.

The captain of an Alabama secondary that finished the year ranked first in pass defense (116.3 ypg) & pass efficiency defense (83.9), Barron is currently projected by both Dane Brugler and myself to be drafted in the first round. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : Mankins had a poor year. When the Pats got Dillon he had ripped off 6 consecutive 1000+ yard seasons prior ro having a down year. He had missed 4 games total in 7 seasons. All while playing for the dregs of the league. HE was the offensive weapon. Go look up the Bengals history or great players(offensive weapons) during his time. Blake and pickens at the end of their usefulness? Fosters been in the league 3 seasons. Not played in 13 games.  More than three times as many missed in less than half the time. He's also playing in an offense that features one of if not the premiere deep threat WR in the NFL currently. Now maybe he will ultimately qualify for mentioning in the same breath as Dillon or even surpass him but not yet. Heck Ben Tate on the same team just rushed for almost 1000 yards(942) and a 5.4yard avg maybe he is elite too? or just maybe that scheme, offensive line, play calling, passing game, and commitment to the run have just a lil bit to do with Fosters success? Foster and Tate just combined for 453 rushing attempts. BJGE, Woodhead, and Ridley combined for only 345 rushing attempts So just two backs for Houston had more rushing attempts than three of the Patriots combined. So while BJGE may not be elite and Foster not elite yet the Patriots running game is Not a result of RB talent inadequacies, IMO. How, when, and how often they are used, are.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]
    Low, are you seriously dinging Foster for not playing a full season his rookie year as an UDFA?  He's played in 23 of 26 since then.  He's had as many touches as our top 2 rushing and top 2 receiving backs combined.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

[QUOTE]RE: Barron.  Double Hernias A double hernia -- commonly a bilateral hernia -- occurs when you have two hernias. Typically, the hernias occur on the left and right sides of your body. The occurrence of the first hernia may heighten the risk for the second, companion hernia. While doctors may monitor the progress of a single hernia, double hernias almost always require surgery as support belts, wraps and briefs can't provide the support necessary to compensate for the damage associated with a double hernia. Surgery The least invasive type of surgery is laparoscopic repair. A small camera attached to a telescope is inserted through an incision under the belly button. Two small cuts about the size of a pencil eraser are made in the lower abdomen and used to repair the hernia using a mesh. In open repair a larger incision is made. Your surgeon will recommend which type of surgery is best for you. Recovery Recovery from laproscopic repair should allow you to get back to normal activities such as showering, walking up stairs, work, lifting, sexual intercourse and driving, possibly within a few days, though individuals can vary significantly in their recovery. You will probably have a two-week follow up with your doctor, during which you can evaluate your condition and discuss exercise plans. You will likely have to refrain from heavy lifting, including weight lifting, and rigorous workouts for at least six to eight weeks. Ask your doctor about whether you should wear a girdle or support belt. Avoid pushing or applying abdominal pressure when you cough, have bowel movements and urinate. Types of Workouts While you will need to refrain from weight lifting and exercises that place pressure on your abdominal wall, you probably can still do certain activities while you are recovering. Walking provides aerobic activity, burns calories and helps keep your muscles toned. Other cardiovascular activity, such as swimming, biking or gentle aerobic classes also help to maintain your fitness during recovery. Yoga enhances muscle tone and you can choose positions that minimize abdominal stress. Speak with your health care provider about getting exercises that help strengthen your abdominal wall during recovery, and follow your caregiver's instructions on exercise. Until you are given the go-ahead by your physician, avoid exercises that cause you to push or strain your abdominal muscles. Sports Your participation in non-contact sports like baseball, tennis and basketball can resume in six to eight weeks, but given the nature of sports and the possibility of accidental contact, it is always best to inform your doctor of your intentions. Contact sports like football or hockey should be avoided for at least 12 weeks. Alabama safety Mark Barron  will not be able to participate in the upcoming Scouting Combine after undergoing a double-hernia surgery, NFLDraftScout.com has confirmed.  Barron is the only safety currently rated by NFLDraftScout.com as a first round talent.    There had been speculation at the Senior Bowl that Barron had been unable to participate in the event due to a pre-existing medical condition.  The rehabilitation for a hernia surgery typically runs two to four weeks but can extend up to eight weeks. The Combine is scheduled to begin in less than two weeks, covering February 22-28 in Indianapolis.  Complicating matters is that Barron may not be sufficiently healed or in the shape he'll want to be when Alabama holds their Pro Day March 7. A high-ranking team official thought to be considering using a high pick on a defensive back in the April draft didn't think the surgery would have any lasting impact on Barron's stock. "No, I can't see it having any real impact on his stock," the source said on the condition of anonymity. "I mean, he's got to get it healthy but he's a damn good football player with lots of tape. No one is going to drop him if he isn't able to run in Indy [Combine] or at their Pro Day." At 6-2, 218 pounds Barron has the size and athleticism scouts are looking for at the position. He earned First Team All-SEC honors after each of his three starting seasons with the Tide and was voted a consensus All-American as a senior. He leaves Alabama ranked eighth in school history with 12 interceptions and also has 235 tackles and 34 passes defensed to his credit.  Barron is the second Alabama senior to miss the Combine due to an injury. Senior nose guard Josh Chapman will also not be able to work out after it was discovered that he played through a torn ACL this season . The captain of an Alabama secondary that finished the year ranked first in pass defense (116.3 ypg) & pass efficiency defense (83.9), Barron is currently projected by both Dane Brugler and myself to be drafted in the first round. 

So who on the Pats scouting department has the assigmnent to monitor his love life???

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]TO MB:  I see you had Miami taking Riley Ruff OT  with their first pick.  Talk today on NFL Radio saying that with Mike Sherman on board at Miami and they do not get  a QB in free agency they would considrr taking Tanehill ( 3rd best QB?) in the first round .. I doubt he would go that low so I assume they would trade down a few slots. so is QB that big a concern over OL for Miami? would he still be there for then with thei 2nd pick? if he goes 1st round to them I would assume we could only benefit with some better guy could slide to us.  or does Ruff slide by us and nothing changes. Any ideas who might make it to 27 if this plays out?
    Posted by mgraham[/QUOTE]

mg,
    Might have been somebody else that had mocked Reiff to Miami, but I think both Reiff and Tannehill will be off the board before NE selects.

I'm still hoping for 1 or 2 of the Barron, Cox, Hightower, Konz group etc., in Rd 1, with the second group of potential interests being from the Gilmore, Reyes, Poe, Worthy group... assuming they're confident with Worthy's assumed inconsistency... the talent is there.

You also can't count out a trade down/out with one of their 1st rounders and with the rookie salary scale now part of the equation, they may be more prone to trade up due to the reduced financial risk.