***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!:
    In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I saw Hill's times and had to double and triple check myself. He jumped up the board big time for me. It's not everyday that a kid with that size and speed comes along. He was projected to go late 2nd early 3rd. This should push him to early 2nd to mid 2nd. If we trade #27/31 back to the early 2nd he might be a kid to target. He also reportedly commanded the room during interviews with the media. BTW anyone else think it's a good idea to ask Brady to come in and throw/workout with the WR they bring in for special workouts? Let Brady chose his WR instead of BB picking one and hoping he gets along with Brady
    Posted by PatsEng

Hill's speed (and he looked very smooth running that) and average yards per catch, he only caught 48 but average was 29 yards per catch.  For him the 3 cone and drills will be huge now, does he show he can run routes.  Does he only have straight line speed or can he make those cuts.  He's helping himself that's for sure.

He just looked really good in the gaunlet as well, ran on that line good speed and caught everything away from his body.  Kid is going to command coaches to go look at him on tape a few more times.

also like the idea of brady working out these guys, he can see how much they understand what he wants and how quickly they get it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Adams clocked in mid 4.4's. That's where I had him projected unfortinutly (much slower then most thought). The cones are going to be extremely important for him

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Wow Hill in catching drills. Extremely smooth, ran straight line, looked very fluid. Had taken a wider turn at the sideline but still extremely smooth soft hands. Caught the ball away from his body. Didn't even hear the ball hit his hands, it was so soft

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Wow Hill in catching drills. Extremely smooth, ran straight line, looked very fluid. Had taken a wider turn at the sideline but still extremely smooth soft hands. Caught the ball away from his body. Didn't even hear the ball hit his hands, it was so soft
    Posted by PatsEng

I'm really enjoying the good combine the Georgia kids (UGA and GT) are having.  Starting with OL yesterday today Hill is really making people pay attention to him and answering some questions.  He is not rounding off routes he's putting a show.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

bred/brd,

I think we are pretty much on the same page with everything, our need for a couple of quality WRs to go with Welker, and a stronger, more complete running game.

The only major difference I think we have is I don't think we should spend a draft pick on TE this year.  If we have other weapons besides Gronk, Welker and Hern, one of them going down isn't as big a deal.  This is a pathetic class of TEs this year.  There is no Gronk-lite out there who could have come in and "replaced him."  Gronk at 50% was still a better option than 90% of those guys I saw at the Combine yesterday.

I think the best way to go is pick up an inexpensive veteran to be that 3rd TE.  I would get someone who is an accomplished blocker like we had with Crumpler but not someone you expect to get much from in the passing game.

As for the running game, I expect big things from Vereen.  He could be our next Kevin Faulk.  He's fast, has good hands and can do damage in the open field.  I look for him and Ridley to be our 1-2 punch.  There are some backs that interest me in this draft in every round but I think other needs are more important to address first unless we see a really good talent at a value spot we weren't expecting.

For all those watching Stephen Hill, I just saw his two 40s and heard the comments and comparisons to Demarius Thomas and that Josh McDaniels who drafted him for the Broncos, now with the Patriots, might be thinking the same thing.  I'm not ready to say first round yet Mike, so no double or nothing bet.  But I think all of us are going to be doing our homework on Hill now.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I'm really enjoying the good combine the Georgia kids (UGA and GT) are having.  Starting with OL yesterday today Hill is really making people pay attention to him and answering some questions.  He is not rounding off routes he's putting a show.
    Posted by Pats7393

His routes are impressing me. He's taking a couple extra steps on hard cuts then most guys but he's also getting their faster then most guys so not a big deal. On a couple of the sidelines he's taking a slightly larger angle which slows him down but he's not going to be a 5-10yrd hook guy so he'll have separation before making the turn. as a 15+yrd guy he's going to be something to watch for in the pro's. I' starting to think we should grab him at #48 if he's there.

He has the size that people like me want in the sideline presence but has the speed MB is looking for as a vertical stretcher. He's got a great package IF he's smart enough to understand routes

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Morning Boys,
    Getting a late start on WR's, very impressed with the straightline speed of Hill, Floyd, Coale (good late round option) and Chris Givens (a pretty fluid/sudden kid with straightline speed to match, I like him as a mid-rounder).  Was a little suprised to see Adams run only a 4.44, but the kid is very fast/sudden on the football field nonetheless and I still like him a lot.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Also can't wait to see Randle, Jones, Sanu, Wylie, McNutt, Wright & Quick, run.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : His routes are impressing me. He's taking a couple extra steps on hard cuts then most guys but he's also getting their faster then most guys so not a big deal. On a couple of the sidelines he's taking a slightly larger angle which slows him down but he's not going to be a 5-10yrd hook guy so he'll have separation before making the turn. as a 15+yrd guy he's going to be something to watch for in the pro's. I' starting to think we should grab him at #48 if he's there. He has the size that people like me want in the sideline presence but has the speed MB is looking for as a vertical stretcher. He's got a great package IF he's smart enough to understand routes
    Posted by PatsEng

This is now where the interview with BB is important, does he have enough football IQ?  We know he will not be a polished route runner (although much better than given credit for), but does he understand concepts of Os and D alignments ect.

If he does well there I say at 48 yes but there might be a team that goes and gets him before that.  One team will fall in love with his shorts times ect.  So far this is the best combine workout to me so far, Phillip Blake and Glenn also very impressive workouts.

Blake I expected but Glenn who I've watched really blew it up.  Wasn't expecting him to move that well, he's a tackle or guard in my book.  He has the tools to be a RT, maybe even LT with a bit of work.  Has the power and leverage to move inside.  

So far these three I think have helped themselves the most.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Morning Boys, Getting a late start on WR's, very impressed with the straightline speed of Hill, Floyd, Coale (good late round option) and Chris Givens (a pretty fluid/sudden kid with straightline speed to match, I like him as a mid-rounder).  Was a little suprised to see Adams run only a 4.44, but the kid is very fast/sudden on the football field nonetheless and I still like him a lot.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

Morning,

I left for 20 minutes, just got back hopping I didn't miss Jones.  I think he will not be a Hill type combine but he will not be far behind.  Those 2nd tier WRs (Randles, Sanu, Jeffreys ect) better watch out there are some guys making a huge impression for a 2nd round grade. Not saying combine its why but they are making GMs and coaches go watch.  For Hill, if he was in a spread or pro style he would be a 1st rounder, and BTW I had talked about him before.  This is not just based on combine.  really like my Georgia and Tech guys.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

4.48 unofficial for Marvin Jones, nice.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

M. Jones 4.48, about what I expected.  Thought he be around 4.43/4.45

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Hill was a guy I was hoping would be available in the 3rd Rnd if we missed out on Randle.  Looks like he will be gone well before that now.  I still like Randle, but McD has shown willingness to take an early chance on a raw but special athlete at WR in Demarius Thomas.  I love the depth of this WR class.  Also, I still love Joe Adams.  4.44 is by no means a slow time, and the strength of his game is quickness and sudden change-of-direction anyway. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Hill was a guy I was hoping would be available in the 3rd Rnd if we missed out on Randle.  Looks like he will be gone well before that now.  I still like Randle, but McD has shown willingness to take an early chance on a raw but special athlete at WR in Demarius Thomas.  I love the depth of this WR class.  Also, I still love Joe Adams.  4.44 is by no means a slow time, and the strength of his game is quickness and sudden change-of-direction anyway. 
    Posted by WazzuWheatfarmer

Hill is not making out of the 1st half of second round.  But again for me is how smart is he with film.  But given his speed, production in O with limited oportunities (29 yard average per catch) a team will take him.  I think right now, oh boy but right now he's ahead of Sanu, Randle and all those guys.  

All teams 33 to 44 or have WR as one of their needs.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Quick- 4.48 unofficial.

Randle- 4.50.. also a bit smaller than originall though, coming in under 6-3.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Brian quick 4.48, that's huge for his size.  He showed his skills at Senior Bowl, another one who could be on the way up.

THis is really a good deep draft for WRs.

Might be the time for BB to pull the trigger on a couple of them as he did last year with RBs.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Also of note:  AJ Jenkins, Illinois 4.37;  McNutt  Iowa  4.42.  Both pretty impressive.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Also of note:  AJ Jenkins, Illinois 4.37;  McNutt  Iowa  4.42.  Both pretty impressive.
    Posted by WazzuWheatfarmer

I missed McNutt's 40, but that's pretty damn good.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

The Wrights, Jarius (4.41) is faster than Kendall (4.45).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Aaron Hernandez, 4.64 6'2.3" 245lbs
    Sanu 4.65 6'2" 211lbs

Enough said about Sanu?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Wylie with a 4.37... boom, love this kid as an option for NE.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

The Wrights, Jarius (4.41) is faster than Kendall (4.45).
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

Jarius, one of the two I'm looking for on draft day.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Aaron Hernandez, 4.64 6'2.3" 245lbs Sanu 4.65 6'2" 211lbs Enough said about Sanu?
    Posted by Pats7393

I had Randle /> Sanu before today and that definitely hasn't changed.

Sanu hurt himself today, especially with the # of "big" WR's running low/sub 4.4.

Randle is the #1 "big" WR on my board (#1 overall WR actually), assuming Floyd is not in the discussion.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Morning Boys, Getting a late start on WR's, very impressed with the straightline speed of Hill, Floyd, Coale (good late round option) and Chris Givens (a pretty fluid/sudden kid with straightline speed to match, I like him as a mid-rounder).  Was a little suprised to see Adams run only a 4.44, but the kid is very fast/sudden on the football field nonetheless and I still like him a lot.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

MB It's not just Hills' speed. I've been watching the ctaching drills and Hill seems very fluid anf has the softest hands I've seen yet. They are so soft you can bearly hear him catch the ball. Very impressive

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Hill is not making out of the 1st half of second round.  But again for me is how smart is he with film.  But given his speed, production in O with limited oportunities (29 yard average per catch) a team will take him.  I think right now, oh boy but right now he's ahead of Sanu, Randle and all those guys.   All teams 33 to 44 or have WR as one of their needs.
    Posted by Pats7393

To play devil's advocate, this kind of brings us back into the discussion of production vs. upside, especially high in the draft.  Hill is a kid that looks the part (much like Price/Tate), but 49 career catches leaves a lot to be desired (understanding that he's coming from an option offense (Chan Gailey was Calvin's college coach).  The recent success of Demaryius Thomas (who had similar size/speed) will certainly help this kind in the minds of teams though, IMO.

Sections
Shortcuts