***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!

Michael Griffin says he wouldn't mind the tag. The price to tag a safety is about $4MM less than a corner so Finnegan will probably walk, but not MG.  Sucks!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!:
    [QUOTE]Michael Griffin says he wouldn't mind the tag. The price to tag a safety is about $4MM less than a corner so Finnegan will probably walk, but not MG.  Sucks!!
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

Bummer.... He would have been an ideal solution to the safety problem..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

I'd like to hear some names of "value" guys you all like at various positions. ..as well if you've heard a bunch of negative things about players I started the list with.

DL\LB
    Kendal Reyes
    Derek Wolfe
    Shea McClellin
    Malik Jackson
    Ronnell Lewis
    Tank Carder

CB/S
    Trumaine Johnson
    Brandon Boykin
    Dwight Bentley
    Josh Norman
    George IIoka

WR
    Marvin Jones
    Joe Adams
    Brian Quick
    Danny Coale

TE
    Ladarius Green

RB
    Ronnie Hillman
    Isaiah Pead

OT
    Nate Potter
    Mitchell Schwartz

Players with Issues
    Vontaze Burrfict
    Janoris Jenkins
    Alshon Jefferies

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Hey Low here's my list (Italics and bold are lesser known guys in later rounds)

DE/DT:

Derek Wolfe
    Kendall Reyes
    Micheal Brockers
    Devon Still
    Brett Roy Nev
    J.R. Sweezy NC State

OLB/DE:

Whitney Mercilus
    Vinny Curry
    Courtney Upshaw
    Shea McClellin
    Andre Branch
    Cam Johnson
    Jamie Blatnick Ok State
    Olivier Vernon Mia (a dark horse candidate high high end talent but will drop due to the NCAA suspension)

S:

Mark Barron
    Harrison Smith
    George Iloka
    Aaron Henry Wis
    Tavon Wilson Ill
    Blake Gideon Tex

TE:

Coby Fleener
    David Paulson Oregon
    Josh Chichester Lou (6'8")
    Chase Ford Mia

WR:

Rueben Randle
    Dwight Jones
    Marvin McNutt
    Stephen Hill
    T.Y. Hilton
    Brian Quick
    Derek Moye Penn
    Damarlo Belcher Indiana (Was thrown off team 6 weeks into season, no reason given)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Since all the free agency posts are getting a bit ridiculous, I was wondering if adding Routt in KC could put Brandon Carr into play and if it does should the Pats brass try to sign him. I still think that signing Welker is priority #1 before the draft.

Does anyone here realistically believe that Barron will fall because of the sports hernia (will he show up at the combine or his pro day ?) ? He might fall a little, but I still believe he is the best safety out there and will be drafted in 15-25 range.

More and more I am beginning to think Hightower is a possibility. The only question is do the Ravens (and Ozzie) take him before he gets to #27 as perhaps a future replacement for Lewis. Burfict has to many issues and can't be the leader that Hightower is ?

Naturally I will be interested in the post-combine mocks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Does somebody here want to start a NFL combine thread? Which goes on today through the 28th..........

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

[QUOTE]Hey Low here's my list ( Italics and bold are lesser known guys in later rounds ) DE/DT: Derek Wolfe Kendall Reyes Micheal Brockers Devon Still Brett Roy Nev J.R. Sweezy NC State OLB/DE: Whitney Mercilus Vinny Curry Courtney Upshaw Shea McClellin Andre Branch Cam Johnson Jamie Blatnick Ok State Olivier Vernon Mia (a dark horse candidate high high end talent but will drop due to the NCAA suspension) S: Mark Barron Harrison Smith George Iloka Aaron Henry Wis Tavon Wilson Ill Blake Gideon Tex TE: Coby Fleener David Paulson Oregon Josh Chichester Lou (6'8") Chase Ford Mia WR: Rueben Randle Dwight Jones Marvin McNutt Stephen Hill T.Y. Hilton Brian Quick Derek Moye Penn Damarlo Belcher Indiana (Was thrown off team 6 weeks into season, no reason given)  
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

In discussing the 2012 NFL draft and likely future stars, Colin Cowherd (ESPN) espoused his prediction that the next Victor Cruz wr could be T.Y.Hilton.  Since Colin usually researches his topics and comments very thoroughly one could assume that his opinion was supported (or originated) from one of his many trusted football consultants.  Hmmm...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : In discussing the 2012 NFL draft and likely future stars, Colin Cowherd (ESPN) espoused his prediction that the next Victor Cruz wr could be T.Y.Hilton.  Since Colin usually researches his topics and comments very thoroughly one could assume that his opinion was supported (or originated) from one of his many trusted football consultants.  Hmmm...
    Posted by moskk[/QUOTE]

I've liked Hilton for a while now. I think he's a better prospect then Adams, Jones, or J Wright (not to be mistaken for Kendall Wright). But, I think I'm in the minority on this one. He also is a good 1.5" shorter then Victor and a good 15lbs lighter. If he gains 10lbs or so I can imagine him as a Cruz type of player. Excellent vision and yac ability but not the best balance. He also has extremely deceiving speed. Some think he's a mid 4.4 player but watching him on game film his playing speed is much faster. In that way he reminds me of Rice (and only that way really). His practice speed is much slower then his on-field speed. He also has fluid hips and good agility so he doesn't have many problems with CoD. I expect him to be a deep threat #2 WR in the Pro's and not a slot guy

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I'll add some here low

DL\LB
    Kendal Reyes
    Derek Wolfe
    Shea McClellin
    Malik Jackson
    Ronnell Lewis
    Tank Carder
    Kheeston Randall DT/DE 6'5" 297, he can play both DE in a 34 and has enough quickness to line up there in a 43 or DT
    Markus Kuhn DT/DE 6'4" 303, Plays high but is a power house with long arms.  Don't know if he can hold at 34 DE but as a 43 rushing DT I think he could excel sort of like Wright.
    Jake Bequette DE/OLB 6'5" 265 if he can run under 4.7 and show his agility in LB drills and 3 cone I think he will be a solid pickup in 3rd/4th rnd
    Jacquies Smith OLB 6'2" 255 his height scares me a bit, he needs to use speed and leverage against the run but his speed as a pass rusher is among the best in this year's draft.
    Taylor Thompson DE/OLB 6'6" 282 there are some mental toughness question so this one I'm putting on here because of what he could be if those questions are unfounded.  Very powerful, can stack and shed tackels not a great pass rusher but a beast against the run.  He will set the edge.

CB/S
    Trumaine Johnson
    Brandon Boykin (love this kid from Georgia)
    Dwight Bentley
    Josh Norman
    George IIoka
    Jayron Hosley CB 5'10" 172 lead the NCAA in ints in 2010, in '11 most QBs stayed away from him had 3 ints. Not big or tall but he's a very talented CB who is willing to comeup and make a tackel in the running game. Football IQ off the charts, said to know everyone's assignments in the D not just in the secondary.
    Brandon Hardin CB/FS 6'2" 215 missed the season due to an early broken bone on his shoulder.  Will participate at the combine, has decent speed for a guy his size but will need to transition on S IMO.  He's a big hitter with range.

WR
    Marvin Jones It starts and stops at Jones for me.  Believe he's the perfect WR for Pats system.
    Joe Adams
    Brian Quick
    Danny Coale
    Jarius Wright WR 5'10" 176 speed that kills and hands to go with that speed.  tracks the ball and ball in hand he's a dangerous WR anywhere on the field. 

TE
    Ladarius Green
    Michael Egnew TE 6'5" 251 if he improves blocking he could be a very good addition.  Can lineup on the line, wide, in the slot.  Good speed but blocking remains the question.  
    Beau Reliford TE 6'6" 260 much better blocker than a pass catcher, as a 3rd TE he can stay and block allowing Gronk and Hern to go catch the passes.

RB
    Ronnie Hillman
    Isaiah Pead
    Jonas Gray 5'10" 230 Notre Dame, nice quick feet for his size, runs with power between the tackles

OT
    Nate Potter Like Potter, really athletic can serve as the 3rd TE
    Mitchell Schwartz
    Matt Reynolds OT/OG 6'4" 305 
    Tom Compton RT/OG 6'5 310 very good run blocker, played LT at South Dakota will need to move inside or RT.  

Players with Issues
    Vontaze Burrfict
    Janoris Jenkins
    Alshon Jefferies
    Konz - Injuries

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]Since all the free agency posts are getting a bit ridiculous, I was wondering if adding Routt in KC could put Brandon Carr into play and if it does should the Pats brass try to sign him. I still think that signing Welker is priority #1 before the draft. Does anyone here realistically believe that Barron will fall because of the sports hernia (will he show up at the combine or his pro day ?) ? He might fall a little, but I still believe he is the best safety out there and will be drafted in 15-25 range. More and more I am beginning to think Hightower is a possibility. The only question is do the Ravens (and Ozzie) take him before he gets to #27 as perhaps a future replacement for Lewis. Burfict has to many issues and can't be the leader that Hightower is ? Naturally I will be interested in the post-combine mocks.
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz[/QUOTE]
    I do think we should go after Brandon Carr (assuming Griffin stays in TEN).  While our need at FS is greater, can anyone argue we need DB help period?  When Edelman is out there in dime packages, you know there's a problem.  Other options would be Courtland Finnegan (if TEN tags the cheaper Griffin, they likely lose Finnegan), Brent Grimes from ATL, or Tyvon Branch from OAK.  I didn't include Carlos Rogers from SF because we don't want guys in their 30s.  We saw what happened with Bodden and now we are sitting on a bunch of dead cap money.  All of the above are top 50 impact free agents.

Not worried about Welker, they will either tag him or work out a deal eventually.  He isn't going anywhere in 2012 and I can't see him holding out.  So, let's consider him a non-issue.

As for Barron, he will not work out at the Combine and will likely not work out as his Pro Day either.  I posted a piece about double sports hernias and the recovery time for football players is 12 weeks.  A "source" said this would not effect his draft status since there is plenty of tape on him.  We haven't talked much about moving up to get him but I agree with you, he's likely gone in that 15-25 range.  If he is still there in the low 20s and we can find a willing partner, for instance, pick 27 and 95 gets us to 21.  It would depend who else is still on the board though.

Mike Mayock was raving about the kid from Notre Dame, Harrison Smith, again yesterday and sees him as a solid 2nd round pick.  We could get him perhaps at 48 and not use 2 picks.  Smith is healthy, far as I know, and although he is more of a SS, we would still use him a lot.  In two seasons Chung has been hurt a lot and his presence is missed. Smith would give us another thumper in the box.  If we land a top tier F/A CB, we could move DMC to FS and have Ihedigbo backing him.  There are a lot of ways we could go, I just hope we address the DB situation thoroughly.

Yes, Hightower could go to BAL, he could also very easily go to PIT at 24.  PIT is likely going to cut both Foote and Farrior due to age and cap issues and PIT at 24 is probably the ceiling for Hightower.  If he goes there, that might actually be ok.  I like Hightower but I'm not convinced we need him especially at MLB.  If Hightower going earlier than expected causes a Konz or Barron to fall, I would take either of them ahead of Hightower anyway.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I've liked Hilton for a while now. I think he's a better prospect then Adams, Jones, or J Wright (not to be mistaken for Kendall Wright). But, I think I'm in the minority on this one. He also is a good 1.5" shorter then Victor and a good 15lbs lighter. If he gains 10lbs or so I can imagine him as a Cruz type of player. Excellent vision and yac ability but not the best balance. He also has extremely deceiving speed. Some think he's a mid 4.4 player but watching him on game film his playing speed is much faster. In that way he reminds me of Rice (and only that way really). His practice speed is much slower then his on-field speed. He also has fluid hips and good agility so he doesn't have many problems with CoD. I expect him to be a deep threat #2 WR in the Pro's and not a slot guy
    I like Hilton too and will be watching him at the Combine.  However, I think he is more of a slot guy which doesn't rule him out especially if we are looking at him in the 3rd or 4th round.  Welker turns 31 in May and could be playing on a one-year tag.  Welker has benefited from the system and Brady although he is better than a lot of people give credit for but if you consider that he and Cruz went undrafted and are the top 2 slot receivers in the league, one doesn't need to spend a high draft pick on a slot guy.

The Pats don't like to spend big bucks on guys in the 30s (Brady the exception, of course), so finding Welker's replacement sooner rather than later, makes sense.  If Hilton can give you a little more in the vertical game, all the better. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I've been one of the few voices on here discussing our need at OG.  Most posters here have been discussing the need at C which is true, but Waters just turned 35, Happy Birthday Brian!!  Mankins turns 30 next month and Dan Connolly (assuming he's back) turns 30 before the first regular season game.  Our key back up is undersized Ryan Wendell.  Cannon may end up staying at T especially if Light retires so we really need to get younger all along the interior of the OL.

IMO we need to draft a stud G or C and should not get out of round 2 before doing it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Agree 100% faucet.  I think some have mocked the Pats getting Konz. I mentioned on an earlier thread that the Pats could lose a starting LT (Light retirement) and RG in Waters (also retirement). The 64,000 dollar question is :are Belichick and Scar confidant that either Solder or Vollmer can replace Light at LT and is Cannon ready to play RG on regular basis (him or Connolly). This all relates to positional value. Protecting Brady's blindside is very important role (more important than drafting a WR or FS).  At the very least, the Pats O Line will lack depth if they lose Light and Waters. At worst we have inexperience at LT and a hole at RG.

I usually give preference to O linemen that can play C or G.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Would you do this trade?

NE give Ari 27 (680 points) and 31 (600) for 13 (1150) and 102 (92) (4th rnd) point values NE gives up 1280 Ari 1242

With 13 draft Dre Kirkpatrick or Janoris Jenkins, move DM to safety on permanent basis.

So mock with this would look like this for me:

13 Jenkins CB
    48 Vinny Curry DE/OLB
    63 Marvin Jones WR (me thinking he's going to climb up draft boards)
    95 Khendall Randall DT/DE
    102 Jake Bequette DE/OLB
    127 Nate Potter OT

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : He is very adept at playing man and press against slot WR's and TE's. The thought is at 6'4" 210 if he adds 10lbs he'd be a harder hitter. If he lost 10lbs he'd be fast enough to be a man CB. A lot of scouts see him more as a coverage S long term (mainly because of height) so adding the extra 10lbs wouldn't hurt his ability to cover in slot or TE's.

PE,
    Iloka was 222 at the SB.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : PE, Ioka was 222 at the SB.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

Now that is interesting. Last I knew his playing weight was between 210-215. So maybe he's already mentally decided to switch towards a FS/SS and doesn't want to be known as a CB/FS

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]I've been one of the few voices on here discussing our need at OG.  Most posters here have been discussing the need at C which is true, but Waters just turned 35, Happy Birthday Brian!!  Mankins turns 30 next month and Dan Connolly (assuming he's back) turns 30 before the first regular season game.  Our key back up is undersized Ryan Wendell.  Cannon may end up staying at T especially if Light retires so we really need to get younger all along the interior of the OL. IMO we need to draft a stud G or C and should not get out of round 2 before doing it.  
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

I don't think an OG is out of the question.  I like Zeitler, as do you, however assuming they wait until Rd 3 and beyond, I like Joe Looney (6-4 315 Wake Forest.  Love the last name, haha... kid has good size, decent athleticism and quicks, is versatile, plays tough/competitive, and is said to be a vocal player with solid character.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]Would you do this trade? NE give Ari 27 (680 points) and 31 (600) for 13 (1150) and 102 (92) (4th rnd) point values NE gives up 1280 Ari 1242 With 13 draft Dre Kirkpatrick or Janoris Jenkins, move DM to safety on permanent basis. So mock with this would look like this for me: 13 Jenkins CB 48 Vinny Curry DE/OLB 63 Marvin Jones WR (me thinking he's going to climb up draft boards) 95 Khendall Randall DT/DE 102 Jake Bequette DE/OLB 127 Nate Potter OT
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

I don't think those draft chart values are valid anymore. They were made back when salaries were out of hand for top 20 players.

But, even if they could get that trade, I'm not making for a CB, no matter who it is. To many DB's have failed in this system recently and I wouldn't want to take one that early and risk another failure.

If I'm moving up that high it's for a legit edge rusher (Ingram, Upshaw) or a line presence (Still, Brockers on D side DeCastro on the O side). Much less risk of failure with those positions and imo a higher pay off to the team as a whole. But, I'm also in the camp that thinks both sides of the ball start on the lines then ripples out. A top end line on either side is much more effective then perimeter players

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : PE, Ioka was 222 at the SB.

What do you think about Stephon Gilmore or Trumaine Johnson at S?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I don't think those draft chart values are valid anymore. They were made back when salaries were out of hand for top 20 players. But, even if they could get that trade, I'm not making for a CB, no matter who it is. To many DB's have failed in this system recently and I wouldn't want to take one that early and risk another failure. If I'm moving up that high it's for a legit edge rusher (Ingram, Upshaw) or a line presence (Still, Brockers on D side DeCastro on the O side). Much less risk of failure with those positions and imo a higher pay off to the team as a whole. But, I'm also in the camp that thinks both sides of the ball start on the lines then ripples out. A top end line on either side is much more effective then perimeter players

I agree those other guys are safer but I think they might be gone by 13.  I'm not high on Brockers, I might be that dumb lol  I agree point system is out the window but needed a base line I guess.  

I think Jenkins a kid that started day 1 in the SEC and dominated will turn into a shutdown guy.  Now we saw what Revis didn't do (dominate) without a pass rush so I'm torn there.  So kind of torn, get a very good CB move DM to safety and improve those two spots or get a front 7 guy.

I think I still go with the CB, in FA get the 34 DE.  Still can get Curry in the 2nd with Nink, Anderson, Carter and Curry I think they can get that pass rush and get a good rotation. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I don't think an OG is out of the question.  I like Zeitler, as do you, however assuming they wait until Rd 3 and beyond, I like Joe Looney (6-4 315 Wake Forest .  Love the last name, haha... kid has good size, decent athleticism and quicks, is versatile, plays tough/competitive, and is said to be a vocal player with solid character.

I keep bringing up Phillip Blake, he has played RT, OG and OC.  Strong base, has a nasty punch.  He will be 26 so is that a real concern?  He can play for another 8 years, that's not bad for a 4th rndr

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : What do you think about Stephon Gilmore or Trumaine Johnson at S?

I think Gilmore could play S at the NFL level, based on his size, movement ability, instincts and ability to tackle... I also think that he projects as a starting calibur CB with both Zone/Press ability so that's where I think he'll be drafted to play.  Johnson is a kid that I need to research further.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I keep bringing up Phillip Blake, he has played RT, OG and OC.  Strong base, has a nasty punch.  He will be 26 so is that a real concern?  He can play for another 8 years, that's not bad for a 4th rndr

I think you'd ideally like a younger kid (Baylor loves them some 26 y/o O-lineman, ha) but if a kid can play, a team will draft him (Watkins went 23rd overal last season).  I also think the risk is reduced the later you get him in the draft.  He's prob an interior OL only at the NFL level (due to his height which is a shade under 6-3), but could represent a good mid-round value.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrustBill. Show TrustBill's posts

Have the board discussed Juron Criner?  Man, he is good.  Cry for Criner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onSTDBS38W8

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Interesting report from rotoworld:

"

According to SI.com draft analyst Tony Pauline, Boise State S George Iloka is currently "the top free safety on draft boards around the league."

Alabama's Mark Barron and Notre Dame's Harrison Smith are considered strong safeties. Iloka is an imposing free safety prospect at 6-foot-4, 222 with a sub-4.5 forty on record. Pauline expects Iloka to be an early second-round pick if he runs well and does 25 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press, as expected. Iloka could be a tight end-buster kind of safety with the ability to defend athletic TEs like Jimmy Graham and Aaron Hernandez.

"

They are also reporting that Shanahan absolutely loves Weeden and wants to trade back into the 20's to get him or trade back up into the 20's.

Provided Brockers, Still, and Konz is gone by #27 would you be willing to trade #27 to Shanahan along with the 3rd for #39 and a 1st next year. If that was the offer I would jump on it immediately.

You take Curry or Branch at #31 and Iloka at #39 then Wolfe/Reyes at #48. It would be an instant upgrade in all 3 levels and get you a potential top 10 pick next year. Then you can spend trade back #63 for a 3rd and 5th and grab a WR in the 3rd, Blake in the 4th (if he makes it this far), and a ST return in the 5th. My personal preferences would be Quick/Hilton with the 3rd and Rainey with the 5th

Sections
Shortcuts