***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!:
    [QUOTE]New England director of player personnel Nick Caserio spent several minutes speaking with Boston reporters this afternoon. Here are some highlights from that chat; we'll have more in tomorrow in the Globe and online. His thought's on this year's draft class: As usual, I'd say the underclassmen are a big part of it. This is the most amount of underclassmen, I think, that asked for an evaluation from the league...There's depth at more positions relative to others. I'd say receiver is a position of strength. The offensive line's a position of strength. The front seven is a position of strength. A lot of the players, front seven especially that were down at the Senior Bowl, are some of the better players in this draft. I think it's a good draft. Like every year, each position has a little more depth or balance relative to others. Given this, BB usually waits to draft positions that are deep.  I would argue the draft is deep at RB too after the first round.  I really want to see how Doug Martin times out in the 40.  He could be the next MJD, except a little bigger. A random thought I had was anytime you can replace an aging vet with a high cap number, especially now with a rookie scale, you really help your cap.  Assuming there isn't a drop off in talent, you allow yourself great cap flexibility.   As for Wallace, I really don't want to give up the pick.  If we could draft Mike Adams at 31 instead and cut Matt Light, we save a net $3.7MM off the cap.  This would be enough to re-sign Connolly by itself.  That to me would do more long term good than bringing in Wallace, spending a ton of money and losing the pick.   I honestly don't want Konz.  First, pick 27 is too high and Konz always seems to miss 2-3 games a year due to injury.  We need an interior guy who is durable.  As for DL, this has to be a focus, perhaps a high pick and a lower pick.  I'm thinking Cox at 27, Ta'amu at 95.  I actually think 34 teams like PIT and NYJ who need a NT will draft him higher.  I just have no faith in Brace and if VW goes down, we're really screwed.  I think Ta'amu could be an eventual replacement at NT but can play next to Vince when in 4 man fronts. 
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

Hey Faucet, regarding Adams. We have Solder, Vollmer, and it's coming out they are really high on Cannon as a T. All 3 look good in the T position so I really don't want to spend a 1st on another T to have him or another player sit on the bench. If I were to go T in the draft I'd be looking for a swing player that can play both RG and both T positions if need be.

Under that thought here's a couple guys in mid-late rounds to look at who would be good as depth:

James Brown Troy
    Trevor Olson N Ill
    Mike Ryan UConn
    Lucas Nix Pitt
    Rokevious Watkins S Car

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Hey, I don't want to be Kiper!! 

LMAO, I wouldn't either, wouldn't mind getting his money but hell no to the hair.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Intersting depth chart Faucet but not sure if I'd like using 2 picks in the first 63 for backups

Here's what I was thinking:

FA signings:

WR W Welker
    WR B Lloyd
    DL K Langford
    FS M Griffin (provided he isn't tagged)
    CB R Marshall
    C  Koppen
    C/G D Connolly

Draft:

#27 Traded to Was for #39 and 1st in 2013
    #31 Vinny Curry OLB/DE
    #39 George Iloka S
    #48 Derek Wolfe DE/DT
    #63 Traded to Phi for  #77 and a 5th
    #77 Brain Quick WR
    #94 traded along with 2013 5th for a 2nd 2013
    4th  Chirs Rainey RB/PR/KR
    5th  Mike Ryan G/T
    5th (acquired in Arrington trade) Chase Ford TE

OFFENSE 22 Players
    Slot31 W Welker '1426 Edelman '12 
    WR31 B. Lloyd '1527 M Slater '14 
    LOT23 N Solder '15 M. Ryan '16 
    LG31 Mankins '16 M. Ryan '16 
    C30 Koppen '1326 Wendell '13 
    ROG35 B Waters '1224 D. Connolly 14' 
    RT27 Vollmer '12 M. Cannon

TE23 Gronkowski '1322 Hernandez '13 C. Ford '16
    QB35 Tom Brady '14 Hoyer '12 
    RB23 S. Veeren '1426 Woodhead '12 
    23 S. Ridley '1422 C Rainey '15 

WR22 D. Branch '1522 B. Quick 

DEFENSE 22 Players
    DE D. Wolfe '1626 M Pryor '13 
    NT30 Wilfork '1426 Love '11 
    DE25 Deaderick '13 K. Langford '12 
    OLB V. Curry '1624 Cunningham '13 
    ILB26 Mayo '1625 Fletcher '12 
    ILB25 B Spikes '1330 White '11 
    OLB28 Ninkovich '1328 M Anderson 
    LCB R Marshall '1323 S Moore '12 J Edelman
    RCB23 Dowling '1426 McCourty '14 G. Iloka '16
    SS25 Chung '1227 J Ihedigbo G. Iloka '16
    FS M. Griffin '15 G. Iloka '1626 McCourty 14'

SPECIAL TEAMS 3
    PK28 Gostkowski '14PR/KR
    C Rainey
    P25 Z. Mesko '13  
    LS24 D Aiken  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

With Light and Waters retirement hanging over the team what do you guys think about James Brown, 6'3" 306.  Mayock brought him up last night, I don't know much about him but he thinks he could be a starting LT.   Played LT for Troy, Senior Bowl I read he did well when moved inside at OG.  He could add depth at both spots, 3rd rnd grade.

Another kid Brandon Mosley Auburn, sign on as a TE converted to OT. 6'6" 305, good looking athletic OT.  A bit raw has only played OT for a few years, has a high upside.  Scar could make this guy a stud OT, would allow Pats to move Cannon inside.  Mosley probably grades out very good and might move into the 2nd rnd

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]With Light and Waters retirement hanging over the team what do you guys think about James Brown, 6'3" 306.  Mayock brought him up last night, I don't know much about him but he thinks he could be a starting LT.   Played LT for Troy, Senior Bowl I read he did well when moved inside at OG.  He could add depth at both spots, 3rd rnd grade. Another kid Brandon Mosley Auburn, sign on as a TE converted to OT. 6'6" 305, good looking athletic OT.  A bit raw has only played OT for a few years, has a high upside.  Scar could make this guy a stud OT, would allow Pats to move Cannon inside.  Mosley probably grades out very good and might move into the 2nd rnd
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

Not sure about a 6'3" T honestly. To many taller DE's in the league that could just reach over him. That's one reason BB prefers taller T's. Because the T's on the Pats don't stand their ground they push the DE's around Brady (sometimes practically on Brady's back) to create a nice pocket and open up throwing lanes. If a taller DE can just reach over Brown and grab Brady's jersey that would be a bad thing.

Mosley I like as a potential T but reports are that they love Cannon in the T position and have no desire to move him inside at the moment. So we really are looking for a #4 tackle which to me means you are looking for a 3rd TE convert who could play T in a pinch (ala Mosley or Michael Williams Ala) or a swing G/T guy to give you depth at the G position that needs a couple of bodies

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : It really depends.  If Light retires, he frees up $5MM then suddenly we could be in trouble at OT.  Solder had a concussion last year and Vollmer struggled with his back all season.  Cannon probably should move inside to RG so there could be a need at OT.  If a guy like Mike Adams is still on the board at 27, he would be an intriguing option.  He would compete with Solder and allow Solder to move around and play the 3rd blocking TE and he would be $3.7MM cheaper than Light.  This savings alone allows us to bring Connolly back neutral to the cap. Right now, we should be at $99MM in cap.  I think while we need more players on D, I don't think they necessarily have to be draft picks.  I would like to see us bring in some young vets who aren't too expensive and really sure up that D from day 1.  So, I would clear as much cap by cutting dead wood as I could then go shopping.  I would possibly cut or retire these guys. $5MM Matt Light $1.5MM Chad Ochocinco $1MM Josh Barrett $785K Rob Brace $750K Donald Thomas This frees up $9MM and gets us down to about $90MM with $35MM to spend.  I would spend in this way. $6.4MM Wes Welker $3MM Dan Connolly $2MM Mark Anderson $1MM Matthew Slater $750K Kyle Love This uses $13MM.  We need to save $5MM for the draft.  This leaves us $17MM to go shopping. $4MM FS Thomas DeCoud (ATL) $5MM DE Adam Carriker (WAS) $4MM OLB Anthony Spencer (DAL) $3MM WR Brandon Lloyd (STL) We've now shored up every level of the D and replaced Branch so we can head into the draft looking for BPA. 27.  OT Mike Adams (the Ohio State) 31.  DT Fletcher Cox (Mississippi State) 48.  WR Rueben Randle (LSU) 63.  RB Doug Martin (Boise State) 95.  CB Trumaine Johnson (Montana) or Josh Norman (Coastal Carolina) 4th  WR Jarius Wright (Arkansas) These moves would net us a depth chart like this.  This could be our core 45 players.  OFFENSE 22 Players Slot 31 W Welker '14 26 Edelman '12   WR 31 B. Lloyd '15 27 M Slater '14   LOT 23 N Solder '15 22 M. Adams '16   LG 31 Mankins '16     C 30 Connolly '15 26 Wendell '13   ROG 35 B Waters '12 24 M. Cannon '14   RT 27 Vollmer '12     TE 23 Gronkowski '13 22 Hernandez '13   QB 35 Tom Brady '14 24 Mallett '14   RB 23 S. Veeren '14 26 Woodhead '12   23 S. Ridley '14 22 D Martin '15         WR 22 R. Randle '15 22 J Wright '15           DEFENSE 22 Players DE   28 Carriker '15 26 M Pryor '13   NT 30 Wilfork '14 26 Love '11   DE 25 Deaderick '13 22 F. Cox '16   OLB 28 A. Spencer '15 24 Cunningham '13   ILB 26 Mayo '16 25 Fletcher '12   ILB 25 B Spikes '13 30 White '11   OLB 28 Ninkovich '13 28 M Anderson   LCB 26 McCourty '14 23 S Moore '12   RCB 23 Dowling '14 26 Arrington '12   SS 25 Chung '12 27 J Ihedigbo   FS 27 T. DeCoud '15 22 J. Norman '15     SPECIAL TEAMS 3 PK 28 Gostkowski '14 PUP/IR PS P 25 Z. Mesko '13     LS 24 D Aiken    

The one thing most appealing about this blog is the difference of opinion. I still believe that the BEST selection that the Pats make at #27 is Konz. A dominant running game is sorely needed by the Pats and analysts have suggested that we have been vulnerable up the middle with undersized centers who survive with finesse rather than size/strength/brawn and talent. Konz provides these, especially the ability to drive defenders back to even reach the second level. A giant in size with surprising athleticism he is considered very strong in the running game and more than adequate in pass blocking. He is a "blue-chip" prospect.

On the heals of a better running game we also need a better pass rush to drive an opponent's QB out of the pocket and destroy his timing and rhythm.  By doing so we also promote the efficiency of our secondary.  Granted we need to  upgrade there too but I fail to see that as a primary need (in this draft with lack of draftable quality secondary players) as opposed to needs up front. I would also argue that the presence of a good running game is as important as a quality wr, although I recognize that as a need as well. TB's efficiency improves with Both a better run game and better passing game (due to a quality wr).

While we can all express our pre-combine favorites some surprises are bound to shift our thinking.  Consider as well the possibility that the players we most covet are no longer on the board when we draft OR we have covered some of our needs in FA and need to look elsewhere. While it's nice to fill needs one must never overlook gems that unexpectedly fall into our laps to further shift our draft choices. Consider also that a player we have targeted is available to us but we receive a very desirable trade offer (a second this year and a likely top 15  next year).

The draft remains a "crap-shoot" when 50% of the players selected on spot LATER outperform those selected immediately before them. It's happened to us at the wr spot etc.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Hey Faucet, regarding Adams. We have Solder, Vollmer, and it's coming out they are really high on Cannon as a T. All 3 look good in the T position so I really don't want to spend a 1st on another T to have him or another player sit on the bench. If I were to go T in the draft I'd be looking for a swing player that can play both RG and both T positions if need be. Under that thought here's a couple guys in mid-late rounds to look at who would be good as depth: James Brown Troy Trevor Olson N Ill Mike Ryan UConn Lucas Nix Pitt Rokevious Watkins S Car
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]
    My only concern is whether both Solder and Vollmer will remain healthy long term if so, I agree.  We could then take Cox at 27 to make sure we got him.  I would then move everyone up and get Ta'amu at 63.  I think this kid has a chance to become a real stud.  If anything happens to VW, we're screwed and you can never have too much DL help.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]Intersting depth chart Faucet but not sure if I'd like using 2 picks in the first 63 for backups Here's what I was thinking: FA signings: WR W Welker WR B Lloyd DL K Langford FS M Griffin (provided he isn't tagged) CB R Marshall C  Koppen C/G D Connolly Draft: #27 Traded to Was for #39 and 1st in 2013 #31 Vinny Curry OLB/DE #39 George Iloka S #48 Derek Wolfe DE/DT #63 Traded to Phi for  #77 and a 5th #77 Brain Quick WR #94 traded along with 2013 5th for a 2nd 2013 4th  Chirs Rainey RB/PR/KR 5th  Mike Ryan G/T 5th (acquired in Arrington trade) Chase Ford TE OFFENSE 22 Players Slot 31 W Welker '14 26 Edelman '12   WR 31 B. Lloyd '15 27 M Slater '14   LOT 23 N Solder '15  M. Ryan '16   LG 31 Mankins '16   M. Ryan '16   C 30 Koppen '13 26 Wendell '13   ROG 35 B Waters '12 24 D. Connolly 14'   RT 27 Vollmer '12  M. Cannon   TE 23 Gronkowski '13 22 Hernandez '13   C. Ford '16 QB 35 Tom Brady '14  Hoyer '12   RB 23 S. Veeren '14 26 Woodhead '12   23 S. Ridley '14 22 C Rainey '15         WR 22 D. Branch '15 22 B. Quick            DEFENSE 22 Players DE   D. Wolfe '16 26 M Pryor '13   NT 30 Wilfork '14 26 Love '11   DE 25 Deaderick '13  K. Langford '12   OLB  V. Curry '16 24 Cunningham '13   ILB 26 Mayo '16 25 Fletcher '12   ILB 25 B Spikes '13 30 White '11   OLB 28 Ninkovich '13 28 M Anderson   LCB   R Marshall '13 23 S Moore '12  J Edelman RCB 23 Dowling '14 26 McCourty '14   G. Iloka '16 SS 25 Chung '12 27 J Ihedigbo   G. Iloka '16 FS  M. Griffin '15  G. Iloka '16 26 McCourty 14'   SPECIAL TEAMS 3 PK 28 Gostkowski '14 PR/KR C Rainey P 25 Z. Mesko '13     LS 24 D Aiken    
    Couple of comments.

I don't like keeping Hoyer and cutting Mallett.  I don't understand that move at all.  We spent a 3rd on Mallett last year.  Hoyer would cost $2MM as a RFA, Mallett is just $670K.

Griffin is going to get tagged, that's why I went with DeCoud. 

I don't like keeping Branch if we go with Lloyd.  Both receivers are too similar IMO.  Neither will stretch the field, neither really create match up problems with excellent height.  I think we need a big tall possession guy - which you get in Quick, then a Branch or Lloyd, then we need a burner.  You didn't get us one unless you plan on lining Rainey up outside?  I like Rainey, by the way.

I don't like bringing Koppen back.  You already have too much age by keeping Waters (which I do too) and Branch.

I'm not sure Marshall or Dowling are better than McCourty.  I think (and hope), McCourty went through his sophomore jinx year and is poised to return to playing at a Pro Bowl level.  I do like Marshall for depth and he played some safety too last year which is attractive.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Morning Boys,
    Outside of the usual names (Konz, Jones & Zeitler etc.), below is my short list of O-Lineman that interest me in the middle-late rounds:

Quentin Saulsberry- C- Miss State- My favorite center after Konz, Jones. Kid is smart, versatile and can play nasty... I like nasty.
    Philip Blake- C- Baylor- 7393's boy.

Joe Looney- OG- Wake Forest- Love the last name, kid can play.
    Senio Kelemete- OG- Washington- Very tough kid. 
    Tony Bergstrom- OG/OT- Utah
    Mitchell Schwartz- OT- Cal
    Markus Zusevics- OT- Iowa- I love Iowa kids, moves very well.
    Andrew Datko- OT- FSU

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Couple of comments. I don't like keeping Hoyer and cutting Mallett.  I don't understand that move at all.  We spent a 3rd on Mallett last year.  Hoyer would cost $2MM as a RFA, Mallett is just $670K. Griffin is going to get tagged, that's why I went with DeCoud.  I don't like keeping Branch if we go with Lloyd.  Both receivers are too similar IMO.  Neither will stretch the field, neither really create match up problems with excellent height.  I think we need a big tall possession guy - which you get in Quick, then a Branch or Lloyd, then we need a burner.  You didn't get us one unless you plan on lining Rainey up outside?  I like Rainey, by the way. I don't like bringing Koppen back.  You already have too much age by keeping Waters (which I do too) and Branch. I'm not sure Marshall or Dowling are better than McCourty.  I think (and hope), McCourty went through his sophomore jinx year and is poised to return to playing at a Pro Bowl level.  I do like Marshall for depth and he played some safety too last year which is attractive.

I wouldn't cut Mallett rofl. You limited it to 45 players out of a possible 53 man squad (not including PS players). Of course Mallett would be one the 53 man squad

With regards to Lloyd. On plays of over 20+ yrds in the last 2 years Lloyd ranks 3rd with 26. Wallace ranks 1st with 29 so Lloyd is a big play WR that gets downfield.

With Rainey. He's more of a return man and STs player then a RB. Might be able to toss him outside the numbers on occasion but his main function is returning kicks

What I showed wasn't the end all be all for depth chart but just by going off of what I saw this year McCourty would be a swing FS/CB. If he returns back to his rook year then of course McCourty would be a starting CB, however, that can't be determined until pre-season workouts.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]Morning Boys, Outside of the usual names (Konz, Jones & Zeitler etc.), below is my short list of O-Lineman that interest me in the middle-late rounds: Quinton Saulsberry- C- Miss State- My favorite center after Konz, Jones. Kid is smart, versatile and can play nasty... I like nasty. Philip Blake- C- Baylor- 7393's boy. Joe Looney- OG- Wake Forest- Love the last name, kid can play. Senio Kelemete- OG- Washington- Very tough kid.  Tony Bergstrom- OG/OT- Utah Mitchell Schwartz- OT- Cal Markus Zusevics- OT- Iowa- I love Iowa kids, moves very well. Andrew Datko- OT- FSU
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

Good list MB. I've been checking out a number of those guys too. Also take a look at the UConn G/T Mike Ryan. Played well at both RT and LT against Lindsay so he has the raw ability but needs to be coached up. He also has the size to move inside to the G position. This is usually the max flexibility that BB looks for and has the raw ability Scar likes to coach up

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Back to the draft it appears as if there is another interesting DB coming out of Nebraska a kid named Dennard and as I'm told he has the entire package in his arsenal: Size,Speed,Flexibility,and he hits like a locomotive! Does he now enter the upper echelon of potential draft choices??? Also if he moves into the top tier how will this effect the Patriots draft?? Right now it looks like they are once again going to draft a big ugly with the New Orleans first rounder and we all know that BB is trading the other one.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]Back to the draft it appears as if there is another interesting DB coming out of Nebraska a kid named Dennard and as I'm told he has the entire package in his arsenal: Size,Speed,Flexibility,and he hits like a locomotive! Does he now enter the upper echelon of potential draft choices??? Also if he moves into the top tier how will this effect the Patriots draft?? Right now it looks like they are once again going to draft a big ugly with the New Orleans first rounder and we all know that BB is trading the other one.
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

Dennards stock has slipped recently because of Senior Bowl where he was asked to play more zone. Dennard is a good-great man and press CB but only an average zone defender. I'm waiting to see his cone numbers because he is very good matching routes but he has trouble breaking down and recognizing passing schemes (maybe one reason he's better 1v1 in man then in zone).

Some people think he's best in a man coverage based system only and would have trouble in a tampa 2 type of coverage scheme. He's not the same caliber as a Jankins, Kirkpatrick, or Claiborne but could be a late 1st early 2nd round pick

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

After further consideration, I think we really need to hit the DBs hard in free agency.  I add too young and improving DBs in Carr and DeCoud, who will likely be the best available FS on the market.  I then draft Harrison Smith to back up Chung at SS. 

The market is thin at good veteran F/A DLs so I think instead of trying to get a Carriker, who's price would be steep.  I draft 3 front 7 players getting a potentially great 34 DE, and a stout NT along with a pass rusher who can either stand up or put his hand in the dirt in Vinny Curry.  I think our D will be vasty improved with these moves.

I then cut 35 year old Waters and use his and Light's cap space to bring in the best OG in the league, Carl Nicks.  We bring in Lloyd and let Branch go getting a couple years younger there.  I have a huge man crush on Rueben Randle.  He blows me away with his acceleration.  Wright can take the top of the D and hopefully he can actually be more successful then what we tried with Slater.  Slater need to stay on STs.

OFFENSE 22 Players
    Slot31 W Welker '1426 Edelman '12 
    WR31 B. Lloyd '1527 M Slater '14 
    LOT23 N Solder '15  
    LG31 Mankins '1622 J. Looney UDFA 
    C30 Connolly '1526 Wendell '13 
    ROG27 C. Nicks '1624 M. Cannon '14 
    RT27 Vollmer '12  
    TE23 Gronkowski '1322 Hernandez '13 
    QB35 Tom Brady '1424 Mallett '14 
    RB23 S. Veeren '1426 Woodhead '12 
    23 S. Ridley '1422 L. Creer UDFA 

WR22 R. Randle 4822 J Wright 4th 

DEFENSE 24 Players
    DE 22 F. Cox 2726 Pryor '13 
    NT30 Wilfork '1422 A Ta'amu 9525 R. Brace '12
    DE25 Deaderick '1326 Love '11 
    OLB28 M Anderson '1422 V. Curry 31 
    ILB26 Mayo '1625 Fletcher '12 
    ILB25 B Spikes '1331 White '11 
    OLB29 Ninkovich '1324 Cunningham '13 
    LCB26 McCourty '1423 S Moore '12
    RCB26 B. Carr '1523 Dowling '1426 Arrington '12
    SS25 Chung '1222 H. Smith 63 
    FS27 T. DeCoud '1527 J Ihedigbo 

SPECIAL TEAMS 3
    PK28 Gostkowski '14PUP/IRPS
    P25 Z. Mesko '13  
    LS24 D Aiken  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Good list MB. I've been checking out a number of those guys too. Also take a look at the UConn G/T Mike Ryan. Played well at both RT and LT against Lindsay so he has the raw ability but needs to be coached up. He also has the size to move inside to the G position. This is usually the max flexibility that BB looks for and has the raw ability Scar likes to coach up

Thanks PE, I'll check him out.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Here's my lastest mock, hadn't added trades until this one.  What you think?  could they happen?

Pick   Player Size/Weight  
    27 Traded to Was 39 and 2012 1st Rnd, pick QB Tennehill
    31 Traded Philly 46 and 51, pick Hightower ILB  
    39 DT/DE Kendall Reyes 6'4" 300lbs  
    46 OC/OG Ben Jones  6'3" 316lbs  
    48 Traded Arz 2013 2nd, 2012 # 81, 162, pick Arz OT Sanders
    51 FS George Iloka 6'4" 222lbs  
    63 Traded Chicago 80, 111, pick Chi Ronnell Lewis
    80 WR Marvin Jones 6'2" 198lbs  
    81 CB Jayron Hosley 5'10" 172lbs  
    94 Traded Jags 101, 165, pick Tommy Streeter  
    101 DE/OLB Malik Jackson 6'5" 270lbs  
    111 DT/DE Kheeston Randall 6'5" 297lbs  
    126 DE/OLB Jake Bequette 6'5" 264lbs  
    162 FB/RB Emil Igwenagu 6'1" 245lbs  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I wonder if Nicks can even play RG? We've seen with a number of pro-bowl OL that they can't switch sides on the line. Light for example is horrible as a RT. Nicks also wants to be the top paid G in history. There is zero chance I'm going to shell out 14+mil/yr average for 2 G's, esp when we don't even know if they can play on the other side of the line

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]Here's my lastest mock, hadn't added trades until this one.  What you think?  could they happen? Pick   Player Size/Weight   27 Traded to Was 39 and 2012 1st Rnd, pick QB Tennehill 31 Traded Philly 46 and 51, pick Hightower ILB   39 DT/DE Kendall Reyes 6'4" 300lbs   46 OC/OG Ben Jones  6'3" 316lbs   48 Traded Arz 2013 2nd, 2012 # 81, 162, pick Arz OT Sanders 51 FS George Iloka 6'4" 222lbs   63 Traded Chicago 80, 111, pick Chi Ronnell Lewis 8 0 WR Marvin Jones 6'2" 198lbs   81 CB Jayron Hosley 5'10" 172lbs   94 Traded Jags 101, 165, pick Tommy Streeter   101 DE/OLB Malik Jackson 6'5" 270lbs   111 DT/DE Kheeston Randall 6'5" 297lbs   126 DE/OLB Jake Bequette 6'5" 264lbs   162 FB/RB Emil Igwenagu 6'1" 245lbs  
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

All the trades are plausible but I just don't like the value approach. Esp, when it comes to edge rushers. You have a better shot of getting an impact rusher earlier in the draft then later and I'd have a feeling that this type of draft would be similar to the 09' draft. A couple of starters and a bunch of backups but no impact players.

It does address the need at C and WR and I really think Iloka could make a Chung type of impact at the FS position but it brings up the question if any of the other D players you chose can be more then their draft stock suggests.

Bequette won't make it out of the 3rd and might even sneak into the 2nd so I think a 4th for him is a bit wishful thinking.

Randall couldn't finish wrapping up tackles and had trouble containing RB's. On a team that had major issues with wrapping up players I don't want to grab a player who's stock is falling because of it

Jackson for his size and potential I like but not that early. Besides we already have a Jackson kind of prospect in Markell Carter

Steeter has great size and leaping ability but is not a route runner. He's a basic go receiver right now and I'd be worried that Brady won't want to put the time in to help the kid (ala Tate, and Price)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

PE,

All the trades are plausible but I just don't like the value approach. Esp, when it comes to edge rushers. You have a better shot of getting an impact rusher earlier in the draft then later and I'd have a feeling that this type of draft would be similar to the 09' draft. A couple of starters and a bunch of backups but no impact players.
    No matter who they pick at OLB/DE they will not start, BB has never trusted a rookie in that role.  Too many responsabilities and reads, at least I believe that has been the case.  Two guys Jackson and (although wishful thinking) Bequette could play get the amount of playing time and impact as a Curry.   
    I think Reyes, Jones, Iloka, M. Jones and maybe Hosley (depending on formation) could start.  Also how many rookies would BB start on D? 

It does address the need at C and WR and I really think Iloka could make a Chung type of impact at the FS position but it brings up the question if any of the other D players you chose can be more then their draft stock suggests.
    Ben Jones I think is extremely valuable, can play both OG spots and OC.

Bequette won't make it out of the 3rd and might even sneak into the 2nd so I think a 4th for him is a bit wishful thinking. 
    I think it is wishful thinking, really high on that kid.

Randall couldn't finish wrapping up tackles and had trouble containing RB's. On a team that had major issues with wrapping up players I don't want to grab a player who's stock is falling because of it
    Randall based on power, athletic ability and height/weight combo I think is ok at the spot IMO.  The knocks on him are things that with coaching can be improved on.  He can fill the whole left by Wright and turn into a starting DE.

Jackson for his size and potential I like but not that early. Besides we already have a Jackson kind of prospect in Markell Carter
    Jackson 6'5" 270 lbs, Carter 6'4" 248 lbs, Jackson is a very strong at setting the edge with decent pass rush abilities and relentless motor.

Steeter has great size and leaping ability but is not a route runner. He's a basic go receiver right now and I'd be worried that Brady won't want to put the time in to help the kid (ala Tate, and Price)
    I sent Steeter to the Jags, they traded pick to pick him up.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Pats7393 - When I say makes an impact I don't mean their rook year I mean over their career. Curry has a much better shot at putting together better and more consistent numbers then Bequett or Jackson I would. Actually I'm starting to feel the same way about Curry as I did Matthews and Reed which is starting to scary me if BB doesn't take him

As for BB not starting rooks well after 10', Cunningham, Deadrick, Spikes, McCourty all started at one point or another during the season

09' Brace started 2 games and Butler was a starter

11' Ras was a starter before injury

So if they have the talent BB will start them. Maybe, not in game one but at some point in the season BB will give them chances to start. If they take advantage of those chances then they will remain in the starters positions. So it's not unheard of

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]Pats7393 - When I say makes an impact I don't mean their rook year I mean over their career. Curry has a much better shot at putting together better and more consistent numbers then Bequett or Jackson I would. Actually I'm starting to feel the same way about Curry as I did Matthews and Reed which is starting to scary me if BB doesn't take him As for BB not starting rooks well after 10', Cunningham, Deadrick, Spikes, McCourty all started at one point or another during the season 09' Brace started 2 games and Butler was a starter 11' Ras was a starter before injury So if they have the talent BB will start them. Maybe, not in game one but at some point in the season BB will give them chances to start. If they take advantage of those chances then they will remain in the starters positions. So it's not unheard of

I wrote the same last week, Curry (this year's Reed, barwin) but looking right now at a 16 game starter and longer impact Jones I think would be a bigger impact because of need across the OL.  Future impact, if Curry turns into a sack machine sure but safer pick Jones I think.  

Don't get me wrong, I really like Curry I just think they will go close together and if I had to pick between the two, B. Jones.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Well I guess the only argument I can make back is that we have Scar. I mean Koppen was a 5th round pick, Connolly was undrafted, Scott Wells was a 7th round pick, Jeff Saturday was undrafted.

With the right coach you don't need to take a C early in the draft, just as long as they have the right tools to begin with.

I would argue the Pats have a far more difficult time developing edge rushers then interior OL so if you consider Jones and Curry close then the odds of coaching someone up to Jones level later in the draft with Scar is much higher then finding another rusher that can be coached up to Curry's level.

I see it the other way Jones would be the better short term answer because he might not need that year or two to develop like a later pick but long term I have much less faith this coaching staff can produce a Curry with a lower then a Jones with a lower pick

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I wouldn't cut Mallett rofl. You limited it to 45 players out of a possible 53 man squad (not including PS players). Of course Mallett would be one the 53 man squad With regards to Lloyd. On plays of over 20+ yrds in the last 2 years Lloyd ranks 3rd with 26. Wallace ranks 1st with 29 so Lloyd is a big play WR that gets downfield. With Rainey. He's more of a return man and STs player then a RB. Might be able to toss him outside the numbers on occasion but his main function is returning kicks What I showed wasn't the end all be all for depth chart but just by going off of what I saw this year McCourty would be a swing FS/CB. If he returns back to his rook year then of course McCourty would be a starting CB, however, that can't be determined until pre-season workouts.
    Oops, sorry man.  I didn't limit it to 45, I just got bored and didn't want to spend any more time on it.  My last one had 50 so getting there.  I'm sure it will be totally revamped soon after the Combine and free agency hits in full swing.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]I wonder if Nicks can even play RG? We've seen with a number of pro-bowl OL that they can't switch sides on the line. Light for example is horrible as a RT. Nicks also wants to be the top paid G in history. There is zero chance I'm going to shell out 14+mil/yr average for 2 G's, esp when we don't even know if they can play on the other side of the line
    Waters made the switch seamlessly, but point noted.  The cost would be less than our current line with Light and Waters but I'm fine spending the money elsewhere.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Interesting report on Jeffery

South Carolina WR Alshon Jeffery measured 6-foot-3 1/8 and 216 pounds at Friday's Scouting Combine weigh-in.

He's an inch shorter and 13 pounds smaller than his college listing. While it's nice that Jeffery arrived in Indy lighter than the 230- and 240-pound rumors, he's clearly been on a lose-weight-fast program leading up to the Combine. It will be interesting to see whether he's lost strength, which would show up on the bench press. Jeffery will run his forty-yard dash on Sunday.

It's clear he was on a lose weight fast program? It appears that he might have been overweight to begin with. It he didn't baloon and questions about his weight were false there would be no reason to go on a drastic weight cutting program, which is visible to analysts.

I wonder how this will affect the rest of his combine. Drastic weight lose tends to make the body sluggish and could show up in both the 40, bench, and leaping. If true this was a bad move by him as if could negatively affect his numbers more then being overweight to begin with

Sections
Shortcuts