***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!

I really feel Reyes has a chance to be a similar player to Cox. The difference is Reyes is from UConn so that hurts his stock, otherwise I'd think we'd be talking about Reyes in the same light as Cox.

Poe with a 4.87 rofl wow. I'm going to love to see that. If Poe is quick in the cones and drills he could become a target for the Pats

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!:
    Wow Dontari Poe 4.87
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

Poe is a freak.  Hopefully his stock doesn't rise too much.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Mercilus and Perry 1.57 splits
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

Mercilus I see having a JPP type of rise into the late teens and early 20's. I've seen Perry as a top 20 pick since Dec so no surprise he's solidifying his spot

I think if we are targeting DE/OLB tweeners in the 1st we are really talking Curry and Branch

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Poe is a freak.  Hopefully his stock doesn't rise too much.
    Posted by pcmIV

Yeah he's a freak but a 40 for a DL (esp a NT) is about as useful as sunglasses in a strip club

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Devon Sill 5.03

Ta'amu 5.34

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Yeah he's a freak but a 40 for a DL (esp a NT) is about as useful as sunglasses in a strip club
    Posted by PatsEng

lol agreed.  As you mentioned earlier his cone results will be interesting to see.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Billy Winn 5.01

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Derek Wolfe 4.94

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Jerel Worthy 5.03

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Well I think most felt he was going to go to Den at #25 but after this combine might have played himself into a top 20 pick Branch is another guy I'm looking at besides Curry. How are they both looking in the rip and swim drills. That will be a good indication on their pass rushing ability, not so much the 40 times
    Posted by PatsEng

I missed that drill. Had to step away unfortunately. Only one I missed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

So after yesterdays performance I have re-adjusted my top 5 WR prospects (not including Floyd or Blackmon because they will be long gone).

#1 - Brian Quick - I know a bit of a shocker here but after watching him in drills and seeing his times I do feel his FCS experience is enough to translate to the NFL. His YAC ability is almost bar none and has great hands to catch almost anything in his range. If you have any questions NFL.com has him as a 84.7 grade. Just for reference 85 is considered an immediate starter and 1st round pick level. Jeffery has a 82.0 grade, Sanu is a 84.0, and Floyd has a 89.5

#2 - Stephen Hill - Hill's biggest questions were his ability to run routes. Coming from an option based O he can blocked (something the Pats look for) and he has great size and speed. He's been known to drop some big balls so their is a question on his focus in critical times. Yesterday his hands were some of the best on the field. He looked fairly fluid not rounding of corners and looked comfortable running routes in drills he was not asked to run in college. If he's smart enough he could easily be a target for the Pats given McDaniels as OC. He graded 74 on NFL.com which means he's eventually expected to be a starter taken in 2nd-3rd range

#3 - Reuben Randle - He's a lot like Hill. Showed some inconsistency in college and not a large amount of route running experience. Is a bigger body WR with some speed and can block as well. Just didn't impress me as much as Hill did yesterday. NFL.com grades him as a 83 grade which is a eventually starter that might start immediately an early day 2 pick

#4 - Joe Adams - Reminds me of Branch coming out of the draft. Quick, agile, very good CoD. The only questions coming out is his toughness. He shy's away from blocking and hates being hit at the line. He protects his body going across the middle by catching with his body which can lead to drops. Has trouble in traffic. NFL.com grades him at 82.5

#5 - Marvin McNutt - It was close between Marvin Jones and McNutt honestly but when I look at the film McNutt can create separation when he wants to while Jones I've seen with CB's hanging onto his hip. Jones can catch any ball around him and makes great adjustments but I wonder if he can create the separation needed at the pro level. McNutt is graded 52.0 on NFL.com while Jones is graded 61.5

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Typical drills going on and NFL goes on camera to listen to Jamie Dukes flap his jaws with Big Willie. Come on Man...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Melvin Ingram interviewed with every team

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Mercilus I see having a JPP type of rise into the late teens and early 20's. I've seen Perry as a top 20 pick since Dec so no surprise he's solidifying his spot I think if we are targeting DE/OLB tweeners in the 1st we are really talking Curry and Branch
    Posted by PatsEng

I hope Mercilus goes in the top 20 or so because what I see on tape, doesn't match what he's shown at the combine.

Perry with a 4.5+ at 270 is impressive, not a lot of tape out there on him, hope to find some soon.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Did you see Dontari Poe run the 40?  4.87 unofficial.  I don't care what the official ends up being, at 346 lb, that is absolutely insane!!!  Mayock says Poe reminds him of Ngata.  That's it for me, he doesn't get past PIT at 24 now.  He could even go top 10 being that big and athletic.  Brockers ran a 5.38 by comparison at 20 lbs less.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Did you see Dontari Poe run the 40?  4.87 unofficial.  I don't care what the official ends up being, at 346 lb, that is absolutely insane!!!  Mayock says Poe reminds him of Ngata.  That's it for me, he doesn't get past PIT at 24 now.  He could even go top 10 being that big and athletic.  Brockers ran a 5.38 by comparison at 20 lbs less.
    Posted by Faucetman

Rumor is that Pit is going ILB at #24. Either Hightower or Burfict.

With Poe having a great combine I can actually see KC trying to move back from #11 and targeting him in the late teens. Or even the Jets looking at him with #17 if they don't think they can get their big guy back. Actually that would be a trade I see happening. Jets moving up to #11 and KC moving back to #17. KC going after Poe and the Jets targeting Floyd, Martin, or DeCastro

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Alot of love being given to Cox and Poe on the feeds. More questions for Brockers and Still.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I hope Mercilus goes in the top 20 or so because what I see on tape, doesn't match what he's shown at the combine. Perry with a 4.5+ at 270 is impressive, not a lot of tape out there on him, hope to find some soon.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

staying 4-3 or going back 3-4? A little stiff to see him at OLB.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Alot of love being given to Cox and Poe on the feeds. More questions for Brockers and Still.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

I hope to land one or both of Cox/Reyes, totally restock the front 3/4 with versatile young talent.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I'm at work now too but I watched through the 2nd DL group run their 40s.  Reyes put up a ridiculous 4.79 40.  This draft is absolutely loaded at DL.  I'll tell you what, it doesn't matter if we take one in the first, there will be quality well into the 3rd round.  When a guy like Mike Martin is projected to go in the 3rd as athletic and productive as he's been, you know it's a deep draft.

For OLB conversion types, the ones who are looking good to me in the drills were:

Branch- very fluid and fast. Looks like a natural 34 OLB.  I put him way over Curry now.
    Bequette- same, very fluid dropping back and good hands catching the ball coming back on the 45 degree drill. I just love him, reminds me of Vrabel.
    Ronnell Lewis- this kid looks like a racked up stud that can move and hurt people
    Bruce Irvin - electric quick, 4.43 forty and the most agile of the group but he's never played standing up and has a bunch of off-the-field red flags.
    Blatnick- late round guy, good size and speed, not as fluid and natural dropping back as Bequette. dropped one of his 2 passes.
    Jones and Johnson - Need to watch them again.

Unless it's Branch, I wouldn't go first round for a conversion type but keep in mind, I haven't seen the second group or LBs yet and Mercilus is tearing up the 225 and jumping drills.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I hope to land one or both of Cox/Reyes, totally restock the front 3/4 with versatile young talent.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

I just don't think Cox will make it past Den at #25 and I don't want to trade up for him when you have almost a clone in Reyes who can be had with #48.

I want either Reyes or Wolfe. I think Wolfe is a fast, stronger version of Wright while Reyes might be more like a Ty type of player. Very good against the run with some rushing potential

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : staying 4-3 or going back 3-4? A little stiff to see him at OLB.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

The thought was 34 until he showed up at 270.  I hope to see the replays of LB drills tonight, but the stiffness can't be a positive and matches what the scouting reports say.  I think he'd be more of an option in Rd 1 for them as a 43 DE than a 34 OLB. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Rumor is that Pit is going ILB at #24. Either Hightower or Burfict. With Poe having a great combine I can actually see KC trying to move back from #11 and targeting him in the late teens. Or even the Jets looking at him with #17 if they don't think they can get their big guy back. Actually that would be a trade I see happening. Jets moving up to #11 and KC moving back to #17. KC going after Poe and the Jets targeting Floyd, Martin, or DeCastro
    Posted by PatsEng

No way PIT goes ILB at 24 if Poe is on the board.  They don't have a NT.  Hampton is 35 and coming off an ACL and top back up is a undersized 280 lb 2nd year guy that nobody heard of.  I would think Poe won't get past the Jets assuming like you say, someone doesn't take him earlier.  I don't think Poe gets out of the teens and may have put himself into top 10 consideration.  He could go before Brockers IMO. 

Sections
Shortcuts