***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!:
    In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I just don't think Cox will make it past Den at #25 and I don't want to trade up for him when you have almost a clone in Reyes who can be had with #48. I want either Reyes or Wolfe. I think Wolfe is a fast, stronger version of Wright while Reyes might be more like a Ty type of player. Very good against the run with some rushing potential
    Posted by PatsEng

I agree.  No need to trade up.  Cox and Reyes are clones as far as I'm concerned.  We'll have a shot at one of them at 27. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : No way PIT goes ILB at 24 if Poe is on the board.  They don't have a NT.  Hampton is 35 and coming off an ACL and top back up is a undersized 280 lb 2nd year guy that nobody heard of.  I would think Poe won't get past the Jets assuming like you say, someone doesn't take him earlier.  I don't think Poe gets out of the teens and may have put himself into top 10 consideration.  He could go before Brockers IMO. 
    Posted by Faucetman

It's possible. I do think he vaunted himself up to a top 20 pick. Maybe even as high as #11 with KC. I still think Car goes either Couples, Still, or Brockers but someone will fall and Brockers seems like the most logical choice. Brockers might be available at #27 with Den goes Cox at #25. Do you take Brockers with #27 if he falls that far?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Wolfe putting up numbers similar to J.J.Watt. On film he looks very similar to Watt too. Wish I could see the drills I would really like a side by side of their drills.

Not that's a service I'd pay for. If the NFL would put up tape of players at the combine in drills and you can have side by side film on players (even from past drafts) in the same window

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : staying 4-3 or going back 3-4? A little stiff to see him at OLB.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

I think Perry, Curry and Ingram are all 43 DEs.  I don't see any of them as options for us now. Curry looked slower than Ninko and this draft is loaded with prototypically sized and speed 34 OLB conversion types.  I'd take Bequette over those three if we are looking to convert.  Right now, half way into this, Branch is my #1 choice for rush OLB.  But if we can get Bequette at 95 which is higher than most have him rated, that is tremendous value.  Again, it is always a crap shoot with these conversion types and BB historically hasn't been willing to gamble too high in the draft.

Ingram had the shortest arms of all the DLs measure at the Combine.  This could hurt his stock some.  He was thinking he should be the first defender taken but I don't see how with those short arms.  That's a big deal for DEs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Do you take Brockers with #27 if he falls that far?
    Posted by PatsEng

I don't have any statistics to back this up, but I hate taking guys who are redshirt sophomores as I question if they are really ready for the NFL (does anyone remember the last guy NE took with that little college experience).  That being said Aldon Smith made me look like an idiot last year so what do I know.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

I'm at work now too but I watched through the 2nd DL group run their 40s.  Reyes put up a ridiculous 4.79 40
    4.95 official I guess

Cox 4.79 official
    This draft is absolutely loaded at DL.  I'll tell you what, it doesn't matter if we take one in the first, there will be quality well into the 3rd round.  When a guy like Mike Martin is projected to go in the 3rd as athletic and productive as he's been, you know it's a deep draft. For OLB conversion types, the ones who are looking good to me in the drills were: Branch - very fluid and fast. Looks like a natural 34 OLB.  I put him way over Curry now.
    Ignore Curry's 40 and I don't remember the drills being so drafstically different between the two.

Bequette - same, very fluid dropping back and good hands catching the ball coming back on the 45 degree drill. I just love him, reminds me of Vrabel.
    Looks like a lunch pale kid but I think he is what he is. Just solid, can't go wrong type.

Ronnell Lewis - this kid looks like a racked up stud that can move and hurt people
    Yep performs to his momentum and reputation

Bruce Irvin - electric quick, 4.43 forty and the most agile of the group but he's never played standing up and has a bunch of off-the-field red flags.
    Not true, He was more highly rated the previous season because he played standing up. It's considered he had a subpar season because he was moved to DE last year.

Blatnick - late round guy, good size and speed, not as fluid and natural dropping back as Bequette. dropped one of his 2 passes.
    NC

Jones and Johnson - Need to watch them again.
    Jones is very stiff. Cam Johnson looks like a better more flexible athlete than Branch possibly. At least the same.

Unless it's Branch, I wouldn't go first round for a conversion type but keep in mind, I haven't seen the second group or LBs yet and Mercilus is tearing up the 225 and jumping drills.

Posted by Faucetman

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : It's possible. I do think he vaunted himself up to a top 20 pick. Maybe even as high as #11 with KC. I still think Car goes either Couples, Still, or Brockers but someone will fall and Brockers seems like the most logical choice. Brockers might be available at #27 with Den goes Cox at #25. Do you take Brockers with #27 if he falls that far?
    Posted by PatsEng

Let me put it this way, how high would Vince Wilfork go in this draft if people knew what they know now?  Whether the comparison is Ngata or VW, Poe, who also apparently really impressed during the interviews, will go top 10.  Any takers on a bottle of scotch?  I like MacCallan 18.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! :
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

Thanks for the update Low.  Again, those official times to me are no more accurate than the unofficial times.  In any event Cox and Reyes both flew for guys pushing 300 lbs.  Cox was a natural bender in the bag drills so I give him the edge since I didn't see Reyes yet plus I'm not a fan of UCONN football after Darius Butler.

I'm at work now too but I watched through the 2nd DL group run their 40s.  Reyes put up a ridiculous 4.79 40
    4.95 official I guess

Cox 4.79 official
    This draft is absolutely loaded at DL.  I'll tell you what, it doesn't matter if we take one in the first, there will be quality well into the 3rd round.  When a guy like Mike Martin is projected to go in the 3rd as athletic and productive as he's been, you know it's a deep draft. For OLB conversion types, the ones who are looking good to me in the drills were: Branch - very fluid and fast. Looks like a natural 34 OLB.  I put him way over Curry now.
    Ignore Curry's 40 and I don't remember the drills being so drafstically different between the two. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but I didn't see Curry asked to do the LB drills, the 45 degree back pedal (whatever it's called).  I think Curry wants to stay at DE.

Bequette - same, very fluid dropping back and good hands catching the ball coming back on the 45 degree drill. I just love him, reminds me of Vrabel.
    Looks like a lunch pale kid but I think he is what he is. Just solid, can't go wrong type.

I think he is potentially more than that.  I think he is way more athletic than I thought and he makes big plays.  He just has a nose for the game.  He's instinctive, again, I compare him to Vrabel.  I think he could be an upgrade over Ninko in a year or two.

Ronnell Lewis - this kid looks like a racked up stud that can move and hurt people
    Yep performs to his momentum and reputation

I've got to do more homework on him.

Bruce Irvin - electric quick, 4.43 forty and the most agile of the group but he's never played standing up and has a bunch of off-the-field red flags.
    Not true, He was more highly rated the previous season because he played standing up. It's considered he had a subpar season because he was moved to DE last year.

That's what they said about him.  They also said he asked to have his snap count reduced because he was getting beat up too much and at that size, you can see why.  I don't think he makes much sense for us.

Blatnick - late round guy, good size and speed, not as fluid and natural dropping back as Bequette. dropped one of his 2 passes.
    NC

Jones and Johnson - Need to watch them again.
    Jones is very stiff. Cam Johnson look slike a better more flexible athl;ete than Branch possibly. At least the same.

Unless it's Branch, I wouldn't go first round for a conversion type but keep in mind, I haven't seen the second group or LBs yet and Mercilus is tearing up the 225 and jumping drills.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Haha Shea McClellin must have interviewed with the Pats. They asked him who he interviewed with and he said he wouldn't disclose who he interviewed with at the request of some NFL teams.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Let me put it this way, how high would Vince Wilfork go in this draft if people knew what they know now?  Whether the comparison is Ngata or VW, Poe, who also apparently really impressed during the interviews, will go top 10.  Any takers on a bottle of scotch?  I like MacCallan 18.
    Posted by Faucetman

Well we both like the same scotch. I'd have to think about the teams in the top 10 and the other players before I made a bet like that but the highest I see him rising is #11 with KC. The thing about the combine is that most teams already have their minds made up before coming in. All the combine does is help solidify their minds on who they want to see more clearly and who they remove from their boards. Poe has had a great combine but there was a reason he was given a late 1st grade. Now a NT needy team like KC and Jets might give him a second and third look and have a debate on whether to grab him early because they won't get the chance later on but I just don't see him making a jump to the top 10. To many high end QB's, CB's, OL to crack it.

I mean just off the top of my head you have Luck, Griffin, Kalil as 1-3 picks. Claiborn, Blackmon, Reiff,  in the next set. Richardson looks like a top 10 RB maybe at TB and Couples is a top 10 DE (Mia). Then you have Still, DeCastro, Floyd, Martin, Ingram, Kirkpatrick who will all be in contention for #9 and #10. Car needs CB and 43 DE help and Buf could use LB and OL help so KC is the first team I can see grabbing him unless someone trades up

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Thanks for the update Low.  Again, those official times to me are no more accurate than the unofficial times.  In any event Cox and Reyes both flew for guys pushing 300 lbs.  Cox was a natural bender
    Yes that's what really jumped out to me the most as the difference. ...and the competition level obviously.
    in the bag drills so I give him the edge since I didn't see Reyes yet plus I'm not a fan of UCONN football after Darius Butler. I'm at work now too but I watched through the 2nd DL group run their 40s.  Reyes put up a ridiculous 4.79 40 .  4.95 official I guess Cox 4.79 official This draft is absolutely loaded at DL.  I'll tell you what, it doesn't matter if we take one in the first, there will be quality well into the 3rd round.  When a guy like Mike Martin
    If you get him in the 3rd I think he might be a steal. I really like him. Just not very tall.

is projected to go in the 3rd as athletic and productive as he's been, you know it's a deep draft. For OLB conversion types, the ones who are looking good to me in the drills were: Branch - very fluid and fast. Looks like a natural 34 OLB.  I put him way over Curry now . Ignore Curry's 40 and I don't remember the drills being so drafstically different between the two.  Correct me if I'm wrong but I didn't see Curry asked to do the LB drills, the 45 degree back pedal (whatever it's called). 
    You are probably not wrong. That's why I said I don't remember. Probably didn't see him. I never know cause i am watching off the web so I am missing alot while they show blabbers yacking.

I think Curry wants to stay at DE. Bequette - same, very fluid dropping back and good hands catching the ball coming back on the 45 degree drill. I just love him, reminds me of Vrabel. Looks like a lunch pale kid but I think he is what he is. Just solid, can't go wrong type. I think he is potentially more than that.  I think he is way more athletic than I thought and he makes big plays.  He just has a nose for the game.  He's instinctive, again, I compare him to Vrabel.  I think he could be an upgrade over Ninko in a year or two. Ronnell Lewis - this kid looks like a racked up stud that can move and hurt people Yep performs to his momentum and reputation I've got to do more homework on him. Bruce Irvin - electric quick, 4.43 forty and the most agile of the group but he's never played standing up and has a bunch of off-the-field red flags. Not true, He was more highly rated the previous season because he played standing up. It's considered he had a subpar season because he was moved to DE last year. That's what they said about him.  They also said he asked to have his snap count reduced because he was getting beat up too much and at that size, you can see why.  I don't think he makes much sense for us. Blatnick - late round guy, good size and speed, not as fluid and natural dropping back as Bequette. dropped one of his 2 passes. NC Jones and Johnson - Need to watch them again. Jones is very stiff. Cam Johnson look slike a better more flexible athl;ete than Branch possibly. At least the same. Unless it's Branch, I wouldn't go first round for a conversion type but keep in mind, I haven't seen the second group or LBs yet and Mercilus is tearing up the 225 and jumping drills.
    Posted by Faucetman

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Haha Shea McClellin must have interviewed with the Pats. They asked him who he interviewed with and he said he wouldn't disclose who he interviewed with at the request of some NFL teams.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

Rofl, that's a clear indication that he did. I wonder who else did

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Posted by Low-FB-IQ

He already sounds like a Patriot, let's hope he ends up one.  He's prob at the top of my 34 OLB board now along with Hightower.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Well we both like the same scotch. I'd have to think about the teams in the top 10 and the other players before I made a bet like that but the highest I see him rising is #11 with KC. The thing about the combine is that most teams already have their minds made up before coming in. All the combine does is help solidify their minds on who they want to see more clearly and who they remove from their boards. Poe has had a great combine but there was a reason he was given a late 1st grade. Now a NT needy team like KC and Jets might give him a second and third look and have a debate on whether to grab him early because they won't get the chance later on but I just don't see him making a jump to the top 10. To many high end QB's, CB's, OL to crack it. I mean just off the top of my head you have Luck, Griffin, Kalil as 1-3 picks. Claiborn, Blackmon, Reiff,  in the next set. Richardson looks like a top 10 RB maybe at TB and Couples is a top 10 DE (Mia). Then you have Still, DeCastro, Floyd, Martin, Ingram, Kirkpatrick who will all be in contention for #9 and #10. Car needs CB and 43 DE help and Buf could use LB and OL help so KC is the first team I can see grabbing him unless someone trades up
    Posted by PatsEng

I'm thinking #9 to CAR is his ceiling, ahead of Brockers and Still.  But if KC is a viable option at 11, it just takes one NT/DT needy team to move up to 10.  Pouha is 33 and an UFA.  If the Jets lose him in the middle, they better have a back-up plan. 

As for Trent Richardson going top 10, I don't see that anymore.  The RB class is so deep and value can be had later.  I don't see any team that has RB as their biggest need in the top 10 willing to take Richardson over other needs.  You're picking in the top 10 because you have lots of holes to fill.  Now Richardson is special but is he the next AP?  I don't think so, plus he has some knee issues too.  We saw Ingram slip to 28 last year.  Teams just aren't as willing to take RBs in the top 10 any more.  I see him slipping into the teens maybe as far as CIN at 17.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

I thought these were just a few who jump immediately to mind as players I like for the Pats. Unfortunately only Johnson and McClellin are guys who may still be around late enough for the Pats to address that position based on a lot of draft history with them.

Whitney Mercilus
    Shea McClellin
    Andre Branch
    Cam Johnson

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I just don't think Cox will make it past Den at #25 and I don't want to trade up for him when you have almost a clone in Reyes who can be had with #48. I want either Reyes or Wolfe. I think Wolfe is a fast, stronger version of Wright while Reyes might be more like a Ty type of player. Very good against the run with some rushing potential
    Posted by PatsEng

That's always possible, who knows, I'd also don't think it'd be out of the question for them to trade up a few spots to land him assuming they covet his skill set/versatility. 

Bottom line is, they're two very good football players (with excellent size/length/strength/ability) and would significantly upgrade their front 3/4 for the short term and years to come and think taking both is both within reason and makes sense.

Will it happen?  I don't know, but Wolfe would be a nice fall back plan somewhere in the middle rounds (3-5).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Kueckly 4.5
    Tank Carder 4.56

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Hightower 4.62

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

What do you all think about Hightower's 4.62?  Can he transition outside? or can Mayo?  I know we've talked at lengh but keep coming back to him.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Hightower 4.62
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

Hightower is 6-2, not the 6-4 we thought.  Does that change things in terms of him being an OLB for us?  I think so.  I think he's better suited to stay at MLB and we are pretty well set there.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Upshaw won't run

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I thought these were just a few who jump immediately to mind as players I like for the Pats. Unfortunately only Johnson and McClellin are guys who may still be around late enough for the Pats to address that position based on a lot of draft history with them. Whitney Mercilus Shea McClellin Andre Branch Cam Johnson
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

I think all 4 could be there at 27.  There are a lot of other players teams will be interested in.  We all quickly fell in love yesterday with the WRs and the OL the day before.  I was one of them.  Now we are all drooling over these DLs.  

My board is changing by the min but the way it's looking we have the following potentially going before those 4 guys. 

2-3 QB (someone is going to reach for Tannehill, always happens)
    4-5 OT
    2-3 CB
    3-4 DT
    1 RB
    2 DE
    1 OLB
    2 OG 
    3 WR
    1 ILB
    1 SS

Thats 22 on the low end, 26 on the high end.  If these 2 or 3 of these guys are gone, that's okay, it means 2-3 from the above like a Barron, Glenn, Wright, etc have dropped into our laps.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

What do you all think about Hightower's 4.62?  Can he transition outside? or can Mayo?  I know we've talked at lengh but keep coming back to him.
    Posted by Pats7393

Waiting for cone and shuttles. 40's honestly don't tell me much in terms of front 7 players. Esp edge rushers and interior DL

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I think all 4 could be there at 27.  There are a lot of other players teams will be interested in.  We all quickly fell in love yesterday with the WRs and the OL the day before.  I was one of them.  Now we are all drooling over these DLs.   My board is changing by the min but the way it's looking we have the following potentially going before those 4 guys.  2-3 QB (someone is going to reach for Tannehill, always happens) 4-5 OT 2-3 CB 3-4 DT 1 RB 2 DE 1 OLB 2 OG  3 WR 1 ILB 1 SS Thats 22 on the low end, 26 on the high end.  If these 2 or 3 of these guys are gone, that's okay, it means 2-3 from the above like a Barron, Glenn, Wright, etc have dropped into our laps.
    Posted by Faucetman

Haha you misunderstand Faucet. I mean late enough because NE won't take one in the 1st or early 2nd based on history. Not that they wouldn't be there by 27.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Posted by Pats7393

I think Hightower projects well outside, yes.  He's shorter than listed (6-2 vs. 6-4), but has the size, strength at the POA, stack/shed ability and pass rush upside to play off the edge, IMO.  I'd be shocked to see Mayo moved outside fulltime in 34 sets.

Sections
Shortcuts