***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!

I'll say one thing. Unlike some of the other groups. I don't think the top LB's are all the best looking in the drills. There are some other guys looking pretty good in shorts.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Probably the biggest thing I've learned through this point in the combine is that this draft looks to be very deep at WR & DL.  I really think that NE is sitting in a premium spot with 2 picks near end of 1st round.  There will definitaly be some great players on the board at that point.  Should be a great draft for us!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Poe's 3 cone time is not nearly as impressive as his 40 was.  Perhaps the talk of top 10 was a wee bit premature.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I didnt get to watch much of the combine yesterday and the little I did catch, the guys were talking and not really showing the drills!

I didnt consider this draft deep at the WR spot.

Would someone please list some WRs they think would be a good fit here. I havent even bothered because I was hoping they wouldnt waste anymore pics there, but if there are any late round sleepers (rds 4-6), I wouldnt mind bringing in a guy to work with.

No more Prices, or Tates please and thank you.

I do agree about the D-line being deep.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!:
    I didnt get to watch much of the combine yesterday and the little I did catch, the guys were talking and not really showing the drills! I didnt consider this draft deep at the WR spot. Would someone please list some WRs they think would be a good fit here. I havent even bothered because I was hoping they wouldnt waste anymore pics there, but if there are any late round sleepers (rds 4-6), I wouldnt mind bringing in a guy to work with. No more Prices, or Tates please and thank you. I do agree about the D-line being deep.
    Posted by JayShizzle45

JS,
    It actually projects to be a pretty deep WR class with solid high end talent.

There may be some reason for optimism with McD's recent history hitting on Day 1/2 WR's (Demaryius Thomas / Eric Decker etc.).

As for who interests me:

Rueben Randle- LSU- Should be off the board in the top 50.

Stephen Hill- GT- Should be off the board in the top 50. He's mostly projection at this point having played in an option offense in college.  Elite measurables and tested off the charts in Indy and will get instant comparisons to Demaryius Thomas.

Joe Adams- Arkansas- Should be off the board in the top 96.

Marvin Jones- Cal- Should be off the board in the top 128.

Chris Givens- Wake Forest- Should be off the board in the top 128

Marvin McNutt- Iowa- Should be off the board in the top 128.

Brian Quick- App State- Should be off the board in the top 128.

Ryan Broyles- Oklahoma- Should be off the board in the top 128.

Devon Wylie- Fresno State- Should be off the board in the top 160.

Jarius Wright- Arkansas- Should be off the board in the top 160.

Marquis Maze- Alabama- Shold be off the board in the top 160.

Danny Coale- VT- Draftable player.

Greg Childs- Arkansas- Draftable player.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I was sold on Reyes before now, wow.  really impressed with his senior bowl and combine.  How soon is he off the board in the 2nd round?  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I was sold on Reyes before now, wow.  really impressed with his senior bowl and combine.  How soon is he off the board in the 2nd round?  
    Posted by Pats7393

Top 50 kid with Rd 1 upside, IMO.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Curry and Wolfe with impressive cone and shuttle times. That's very encouraging

Poe not a great shuttle but to be expected give his size, pretty good in the cones

Cox very good cone for his size average shuttle

Reyes average in the cone and average in the shuttle

Haven't had a chance to watch the drills. Can't wait to see that

Branch great shuttle good cone

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I think Hightower projects well outside, yes.  He's shorter than listed (6-2 vs. 6-4), but has the size, strength at the POA, stack/shed ability and pass rush upside to play off the edge, IMO.  I'd be shocked to see Mayo moved outside fulltime in 34 sets.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

I guess I just like other options at OLB better than Hightower now.  I think Branch and Mercilus may be better suited and could be had perhaps a little later; not as far down as 48, but maybe we could drop down 5 spots and still land one and get back a late round pick to do some speculating with.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

What did you all think of Bequette?  I really like his 10 yrd split and he will set the edge.  Won't allow outside runs and creates a pass rush, not elite but motor won't stop running.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

What did you all think of Bequette?  I really like his 10 yrd split and he will set the edge.  Won't allow outside runs and creates a pass rush, not elite but motor won't stop running.
    Posted by Pats7393

He's seems like a solid LB. But this team is ful of solid players. Nin is a solid player. What we need is an impact player.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Posted by Pats7393

I think we have to land either him or Cox at 27.  One should be there, fingers crossed.  Then I would not mind at all coming back at 31 and grabbing Branch or Mercilus. 

I would address the DB situation in free agency and we talked about all the various options.

In the 2nd maybe Harrison Smith at 48 or 63 if he's as good as Mayock says he is.  Mayock should know since he covers ND games.  We can then take one of the big top flight receivers.  It would be great if Stephen Hill was there, and he might be out of concern about his production/system.  This would be a nice way to start with our first 3 picks.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Not that bench-pressing ability is an important skill for a cornerback, but Virginia's Chase Minnefield only put 225 up 7 times.  In today's NFL, even CBs need to have at least some sort of upper-body strength.  This is a pretty big red flag for Minnefiled unless he can significantly imporve this at his pro day.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Not that bench-pressing ability is an important skill for a cornerback, but Virginia's Chase Minnefield only put 225 up 7 times.  In today's NFL, even CBs need to have at least some sort of upper-body strength.  This is a pretty big red flag for Minnefiled unless he can significantly imporve this at his pro day.
    Posted by WazzuWheatfarmer

That's pathetic.  I can still do 12 at 225 at soon-to-be 49.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Fred Smoot is the worst I can remember, think he did either 0 or 1 rep @ 225, haha... career was decent though.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Its not the strength that should concern you but the commitment to get better. It's not a functional strength test really for a CB but he obviously didn't put the work in and that should be the question mark.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I can bench press 225 24x

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Thank god Quiton Coples had a good Sr bowl week and Jr year because I saw nothing from limited YouTube Sr vids or anything special in drills from him in my opinion.

I swear no one ever wants to be the lone voice and everyone jumps on either for or against some players every year that I fail to see.

Were any of you dazzled by his drill work?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

One of the funniest things I heard today on the web feed. Dukes and QB killa talking to some other dude and going on about Poe for how he moved so well for a 350 pound man. The other dude steps in and is like well only 346 actually.

QB Killa pauses and looks at him and is like "350 pounds, when you 350 pounds 4 pounds is just a burp. You can burp and lose 4 pounds."

Hahaha

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from I sat on your toilet. Show I sat on your toilet's posts

One of the funniest things I heard today on the web feed. Dukes and QB killa talking to some other dude and going on about Poe for how he moved so well for a 350 pound man. The other dude steps in and is like well only 346 actually. QB Killa pauses and looks at him and is like "350 pounds, when you 350 pounds 4 pounds is just a burp. You can burp and lose 4 pounds." Hahaha
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

Lol

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Guys, would any of you like to see us double down on 34 DEs?  We could maybe get Cox and Reyes.  Or would it be better to get a combination of one of Cox/Reyes high and come back later for Wolfe?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I can bench press 225 24x
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon

damn, you're a beast:).  What's the rest of your measurables?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Guys, would any of you like to see us double down on 34 DEs?  We could maybe get Cox and Reyes.  Or would it be better to get a combination of one of Cox/Reyes high and come back later for Wolfe?
    Posted by Faucetman

Need to fill out my spreadsheet with all the info to compare against current rostered players, see who they resign, and also what they do in FA before I would even begin to know what I'd like to see them do.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from I sat on your toilet. Show I sat on your toilet's posts

Posted by Faucetman

Not a bad idea if they both are there. Imagine the competition and how much they'd push each if they both got the right attitude

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Anybody have any impressions of Trent Richardson? I heard he is a corey dillon type. I would argue that he is more than just a Corey Dillon as he can break a long run and has the ability to break a lot of tackles. The main knock I have heard is the same one A.P had on him coming out, that he gets hit too much and may not be durable in the NFL. I know a lot of folks are happy w/Ridley and Vareen, and I like them, but they arent feature backs, IMO Ideally,. you would have Richardson be a starter, Ridley as a change of pace, and Vareen as the 3rd down back. Add in a 4th guy like Woody to just be the jack of all trades , emergency back and resign Polite, and you have your 5 backs going into camp. Just dont know how high Trent will go and if the Pats are willing to use a 1st rounder. We have got burned with Maroney and you never know, but Trent is no Maroney, I know that. Any thoughts on this guy in regards to the Pats, or just defense in early rounds?
    Posted by JayShizzle45

everybody but the pats knew jackson was a better back than marooney in that draft.

too many needs i believe, (due to too many misses, partly due to trading down for lower picks) to go for a back in round 1.

Sections
Shortcuts