***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!

before the combine;
       pick 1 and 2 dt, 43 de/34 olb
    pick 3 and 4  o lineman who is g and t, big outside wr, (either order)
    rd 3 welker's future replacement
    rd 4  def. front 7 or kick/punt returner
       rb udfa insurance for ridley, maybe a cheap free agent aas well.

fa pickup needs before draft esepecially fs

agree?
    your preference?
    who best fills these positions (mine/yours)?

let benny walk.
    welker 3 yr 22-25 or tag (and be sure to have his replacement)
    ocho dont even ask.

good posts today.
    very nice read.
    props to those who had the time, opportunity and enjoment of watching and reporting.

peace

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!:
    In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Not a bad idea if they both are there. Imagine the competition and how much they'd push each if they both got the right attitude
    Posted by I sat on your toilet

Doubles our chances of success.  Looking at the roster, we have VW, Deaderick, Love, Pryor and Brace.  Brace has done nothing but be hurt and ineffective and Pryor has been hurt lately.  I don't know that I'm advocating for it, especially taking 2 high but this is a solid DT class and we could strike it rich.  Now if we could get Poe and Cox, something that seemed very possible a few days ago, we'd be loaded as a 43 or 34 team and have a solid back up for VW.  I worry about the number of snaps VW has been forced to play and we need to take some of the load off him next year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Doubles our chances of success.  Looking at the roster, we have VW, Deaderick, Love, Pryor and Brace.  Brace has done nothing but be hurt and ineffective and Pryor has been hurt lately.  I don't know that I'm advocating for it, especially taking 2 high but this is a solid DT class and we could strike it rich.  Now if we could get Poe and Cox, something that seemed very possible a few days ago, we'd be loaded as a 43 or 34 team and have a solid back up for VW.  I worry about the number of snaps VW has been forced to play and we need to take some of the load off him next year.
    Posted by Faucetman

very nice and cogent thoughts faucet.
    worth some consideration.

peace

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I hope Mercilus goes in the top 20 or so because what I see on tape, doesn't match what he's shown at the combine. Perry with a 4.5+ at 270 is impressive, not a lot of tape out there on him, hope to find some soon.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

any chance you're over-analyzing mercilus? i only have one ill game on the dvr. he actually looked fluid in that game. not as productive as i hoped, but he was decent. i was thinking it was his off day. that said, it's hard to contest current ratings given his total production last season, which seems validated by his combine.

perry, i always liked. the nfl.com report on him says he did not drop back much. i do not understand that really because i thought he did that a bit in 2-3 usc games i saw. of all the pass rush prospects, i thought he was the guy i saw drop back most. yet, it's hard to remember any moment to talk about. when i think of usc games, i find it hard for me to get beyond the nd-usc game where i had fun watching teo and kuelchy.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I don't have any statistics to back this up, but I hate taking guys who are redshirt sophomores as I question if they are really ready for the NFL (does anyone remember the last guy NE took with that little college experience).  That being said Aldon Smith made me look like an idiot last year so what do I know.
    Posted by pcmIV

i am no expert. i would take the kid. i would not trade up for him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Anybody have any impressions of Trent Richardson? I heard he is a corey dillon type. I would argue that he is more than just a Corey Dillon as he can break a long run and has the ability to break a lot of tackles. The main knock I have heard is the same one A.P had on him coming out, that he gets hit too much and may not be durable in the NFL. ...
    Posted by JayShizzle45

my take... if you can define a 3-down back, he's it. i've never really watched his pass blocking. other than that he's very well-rounded with real big play potential on every snap. now i have not really paid attention to the draft until about 5-6 years ago. but he's my favorite so far over that period.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : any chance you're over-analyzing mercilus? i only have one ill game on the dvr. he actually looked fluid in that game. not as productive as i hoped, but he was decent. i was thinking it was his off day. that said, it's hard to contest current ratings given his total production last season, which seems validated by his combine. perry, i always liked. the nfl.com report on him says he did not drop back much. i do not understand that really because i thought he did that a bit in 2-3 usc games i saw. of all the pass rush prospects, i thought he was the guy i saw drop back most. yet, it's hard to remember any moment to talk about. when i think of usc games, i find it hard for me to get beyond the nd-usc game where i had fun watching teo and kuelchy.
    Posted by seattlepat70

I don't think I'm over-analyzing Mercilus, just going by what my eyes tell me.  It was also posted a few pages back that he got a 3rd round grade from the NFL Draft Advisory Board (link below), so it doesn't appear that I'm that off.  I just don't think he's worth of a Rd 1 pick as a 34 OLB.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/27/whitney-mercilus-shows-off-his-quick-first-step/

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Thank god Quiton Coples had a good Sr bowl week and Jr year because I saw nothing from limited YouTube Sr vids or anything special in drills from him in my opinion. I swear no one ever wants to be the lone voice and everyone jumps on either for or against some players every year that I fail to see. Were any of you dazzled by his drill work?
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

You aren't the only one. I haven't seen much in Couples all year and honestly was more excited about Ingram.

Actually come to think of it I don't recall anyone in this thread giving more then a couple of sentences to Couples all year. Yeah I don't think there are many high on this kid around here

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Guys, would any of you like to see us double down on 34 DEs?  We could maybe get Cox and Reyes.  Or would it be better to get a combination of one of Cox/Reyes high and come back later for Wolfe?
    Posted by Faucetman

I wouldn't be opposed to doubling down on 34DE/43DT's just not Cox and Reyes. I think Reyes really helped himself in the combine and I don't think he makes it out of the top 55. I don't want to spend 2 top 50 picks on DL honestly. What I liked to do is grab a DE/DT with 1 of the first 3 picks, sign Langford to a lower risk contract (to me it's like drafting a top 50 DL) and then drafting another DL before the end of the 4th if we went that root.

I don't think Wolfe makes it out of the 2nd so we might need to grab him with #63. Ta'amu has been slipping and might end up in the 3rd so he'd be another option. Crick could be an interesting prospect in the 3rd, as a high upside lower risk player.

But, if I was going to dbl down on DL in the draft here's what I would do.

Target either Wolfe or Reyes in the 2nd. For this scenario it would be Reyes because of the other player I have in mind but if Reyes is not there at #48 then Wolfe with #63 would work. Then move up in the 4th and grab Randall or Crick depending on who's there. Crick would be the preferred option because of upside. Then in FA sign Langford and a Vet. That would load you up with 3 young DL to go with you already younger line. I would cut Brace and Pryor loose (I liked Pryor, but 2 seasons in a row on IR is to much to take up a roster spot so early in his career). Then you'd have a line of VW, Crick/Randall, Langford, Deadrick, Love, Reyes/Wolfe, and a vet, along with some 43 DE's who play 34 OLB's

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I finished watching most of the drills last night and one player stuck out to me as a potential late round steal, Oliver Vernon

He honestly shouldn't have come out this year. He would have been better off rehabbing his image for another year. However, his lose can be our gain. He looked very fluid in drills and posted some good times. Watching some film on him, he had early day 2 upside and potential and might have been in a conversation or two about sneaking into the first. He might end up being a late day 3 pick though because of that NCAA violation. It ended up costing him 6 games this year. The reported violation was receiving $1,200 in funds from boosters. For booster violations I'm willing to look the other way and because of the games missed he came out slowed in the remaining games for the season. He's someone I would most definitely take with a late 5th early 6th if we can trade back into the draft

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from paularnold. Show paularnold's posts

I wonder how much Brockers hurt himself yesterday.  He didn't have a huge season but people were saying how he was going to be a standout in the underwear olympics.  He showed great size but was not nearly as athletic as it was assumed he would be.  I saw him starting to be mocked into the top 10 to 15 range after starting as a low first early second on the sites that continuously run mock drafts.  Does the lack of college production and this lack of athleticism push him back into the later half of the draft?  Even if it does are the Patriots interested?  I was even thinking that before the combine.  He doesn't seem like the typical pick.

I don't dislike the idea of doubling down on 3-4 DE if that's how the draft falls.  I think it will be interesting to see where some of those second tier receivers go and that may have some effect.  I wouldn't be shocked to see the 31st pick get moved 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I wonder how much Brockers hurt himself yesterday.  He didn't have a huge season but people were saying how he was going to be a standout in the underwear olympics.  He showed great size but was not nearly as athletic as it was assumed he would be.  I saw him starting to be mocked into the top 10 to 15 range after starting as a low first early second on the sites that continuously run mock drafts.  Does the lack of college production and this lack of athleticism push him back into the later half of the draft?  Even if it does are the Patriots interested?  I was even thinking that before the combine.  He doesn't seem like the typical pick. I don't dislike the idea of doubling down on 3-4 DE if that's how the draft falls.  I think it will be interesting to see where some of those second tier receivers go and that may have some effect.  I wouldn't be shocked to see the 31st pick get moved 
    Posted by paularnold

It's really a hard thing to judge because to me the combine is meant more for the fans then the teams. I think most teams know what players can do coming in and rely on film more then they do combine numbers. The combine to me is a second chances for players to get teams to take a second look at them and a chance to talk to them during interviews. If a team wasn't going to take a look at you and you bomb then they won't give you another thought but if they want to take a closer look at you I don't think a bad combine will prevent them from taking a closer look. However, if you are a fringe player or have a bad year in college a great combine might make a team take a closer look at your film. It also gives players a chance to explain any mistakes they might have made or in BB's case a good chance to put players through his own wonderlic test.

Brockers is a 1st round pick. He was considered a mid-late 1st before then was hyped up. To most teams though I think he will remain a mid-late 1st type of player.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : damn, you're a beast:).  What's the rest of your measurables?
    Posted by Faucetman

Build like MJD, run like Spikes on a bad ankle with a anvil attached to me and a little old for the NFL  5'7" 218lbs LOL

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from paularnold. Show paularnold's posts

PatsEng I couldn't agree more about your thoughts on the combine.  A good or bad showing will get the talent evaluators to probably take a closer look at the tape.  I thought Brockers was moving up from a late 1st rounder more based on what he was expected to do at the combine than what he showed on the field.  I did think the combine showed the athleticism at the 3-4 DE and OLB positions which is very good for the Pats.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : everybody but the pats knew jackson was a better back than marooney in that draft. too many needs i believe, (due to too many misses, partly due to trading down for lower picks) to go for a back in round 1.
    Posted by bredbru

What Jackson? Deangelo Williams was the back to take in that draft.

Also I think most people consider Mike Shannahan to be pretty good about who he thinks can run the ball and he said he thought Maroney was the best back in that draft. So obviously not everyone knew.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

I finished watching most of the drills last night and one player stuck out to me as a potential late round steal, Oliver Vernon

From a pure athleticism thing I agree he caught my eye as well. Just had not posted it yesterday because i know nothing about him other than he looks great in shorts. Another guy who hit me the same way was Jaye Howard from FL.

He honestly shouldn't have come out this year. He would have been better off rehabbing his image for another year. However, his lose can be our gain. He looked very fluid in drills and posted some good times. Watching some film on him, he had early day 2 upside and potential and might have been in a conversation or two about sneaking into the first. He might end up being a late day 3 pick though because of that NCAA violation. It ended up costing him 6 games this year. The reported violation was receiving $1,200 in funds from boosters. For booster violations I'm willing to look the other way and because of the games missed he came out slowed in the remaining games for the season. He's someone I would most definitely take with a late 5th early 6th if we can trade back into the draft
    Posted by PatsEng

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Build like MJD, run like Spikes on a bad ankle with a anvil attached to me and a little old for the NFL  5'7" 218lbs LOL
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon

Haha nice, with that size and if you use a wide grip, have a big chest and short arms your push would only need to go about 6 inches. ;-)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

"now i have not really paid attention to the draft until about 5-6 years ago. but he's my favorite so far over that period."

Thats definately saying something. I watched his(T.Richardson) youtube highlights last night,....WOW!

He is the Real Deal. Its too bad We have too many needs to fill, as he would be a Beast and solve a lot of our offensive issues, IMO

Now he will just go the Browns and waste away...lol

If the Pats could move up and not give up too much, I wouldnt even be mad if they took him. Vareen and Ridley are nice , but not game changers like Trent is.

I guess its good Mike Ditka isnt our coach/G.M.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : They dont teach forcing fumbles, either you got it or you dont. That tells me a lot, for a full time first year player.
    Posted by bobbysu

Actually they do teach forcing fumbles. BB has whole drills built around forcing fumbles. There are whole schemes built to provide more opportunities to force fumbles (ie standing a player up instead of tackling to let other players come in a lay a hit on the ball or rip it out)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Actually they do teach forcing fumbles. BB has whole drills built around forcing fumbles. There are whole schemes built to provide more opportunities to force fumbles (ie standing a player up instead of tackling to let other players come in a lay a hit on the ball or rip it out)
    Posted by PatsEng

Correct.  I've even heard people talk about how 20 years ago, a ball carrier was stood up so others could get a whack at him, now it's utilized to maximize the amount of time that a defense has to strip the ball carrier.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

" now i have not really paid attention to the draft until about 5-6 years ago. but he's my favorite so far over that period." Thats definately saying something. I watched his(T.Richardson) youtube highlights last night,....WOW! He is the Real Deal. Its too bad We have too many needs to fill, as he would be a Beast and solve a lot of our offensive issues, IMO Now he will just go the Browns and waste away...lol If the Pats could move up and not give up too much, I wouldnt even be mad if they took him. Vareen and Ridley are nice , but not game changers like Trent is. I guess its good Mike Ditka isnt our coach/G.M.
    Posted by JayShizzle45

Richardson is said to be the best RB prospect to come out since Peterson. With that said I don't think you need a RB like him given our system. It would almost be a waste of a runner. A Dillon or A Smith are the types of backs that fit our system well. Someone who can pound the ball and punish D's on the early going. Make the D respect the run and get short yards when needed. Someone who can get to the second level and would rather hit a CB they try to make a move past them. I think Ridley can be that type of RB if he can learn to hold onto the ball better. But, it's always nice to dream what it would be like to have a Madden type of team with all-pro's in every aspect of the O

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Nobody gets 9 on coincidence. LT used to time it just right, to hit the ball, as the runner used to get by, or coming from behind the QB. Growing up Deacon Jones was notorious at whacking the ball hard. There is an art to it.
    Posted by bobbysu

Of course there is an art. But, like any art you have the raw talent that needs to be molded and refined with coaching and practice. Some people are naturals about judging where to hit and targeting the ball while others might never get it but in both cases without proper coaching and practice you won't get 9 FF's

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Haha nice, with that size and if you use a wide grip, have a big chest and short arms your push would only need to go about 6 inches. ;-)
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

funny thing is32.5 in arms, longer than Mercilis sp?

Sections
Shortcuts