***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!

Some interesting things to note in the 40's for DB's.

Now for DB's I do think the 40 has a little more meaning. Esp the 10yrd split when discussing recovery speed.

Dennard with a 4.6 speed. Good for slot CB's and FS's but not so great for outside CB's known to be a man coverage player. His shuttles are going to be very important.

Iloka with a 4.6 speed. Good for a patrolling FS, esp at his size. Really like to see his shuttles at this point. I'd like to see where his recovery speed is at.

Waiting on Martin right now

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I'll have to look up Howard, thanks Low

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

My late round ultra-sleeper (Ron Brooks 5-10 190 CB- LSU) just clocked an unofficial 4.35 in the 40, also did only 12 reps at 225.

Other DB notables so far (courtesy of WalterFootball.com):

Stephon Gilmore- 4.44, 15 Reps

Jayron Hosley- 4.37, 11 reps (5-10 178)

George Iloka- 4.59, 20 reps

Leonard Johnson- 4.65, 15 reps

Trumaine Johnson- 4.50, 19 reps (6-2 204)

Jamell Fleming- 4.43, 23 reps (5-11 206)

Dwight Bentley- 4.37, 13 reps (5-10 182)

Janoris Jenkins- 4.44, DNP (5-10 193)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Not exactly blazing speedsters "collectively" for the DB's so far

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!:
    My late round ultra-sleeper ( Ron Brooks 5-10 190 CB- LSU ) just clocked an unofficial 4.35 in the 40, also did only 12 reps at 225. Other DB notables so far (courtesy of WalterFootball.com): Stephon Gilmore- 4.44, 15 Reps Jayron Hosley- 4.37, 11 reps (5-10 178) George Iloka- 4.59, 20 reps Leonard Johnson- 4.65, 15 reps Trumaine Johnson- 4.50, 19 reps (6-2 204) Jamell Fleming- 4.43, 23 reps (5-11 206)
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

out of the first group who ran

Bently
    Gilmore
    Flemming
    Johnson

are all from my list who have 4.5 or better

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I like Iloka so far, only thing I've seen is when he was asked to do the change of direction drill he was a bit tight hip but he's also 6'2" 220lbs lol

Iloka is very well coached and we'll see if he wows BB with football IQ interview.  Does he understand concepts ect, that's where he will earn his position on the Pats board.

Trumaine Johnson has also to me looked good, he's a cover CB who at 6'2" 204 could make a move to FS.  He's really making himself some $$ at the combine.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Soon as I wrote that Iloka blows at a drill lol

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I like Iloka so far, only thing I've seen is when he was asked to do the change of direction drill he was a bit tight hip but he's also 6'2" 220lbslol Iloka is very well coached and we'll see if he wows BB with football IQ interview.  Does he understand concepts ect, that's where he will earn his position on the Pats board. Trumaine Johnson has also to me looked good, he's a cover CB who at 6'2" 204 could make a move to FS.  He needs to develop at either spot, why not move him to S?  He's a small school Big Sky Conference.   
    Posted by Pats7393

Kid is actually 6-4, with 34.5 inch arms... that's insane height/length!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Soon as I wrote that Iloka blows at a drill lol
    Posted by Pats7393

lol which drill? If it's the mirror, that was a known weakness going in. He's not the best man person which is why he'll fit better as a tampa 2 type of FS. Something the Pats run a lot considering they are general up more often then they are down

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Iloka looked a bit awkward during drills but was still effective. Hard read, not really smooth turning but not stiff just awkward. Hard to explain.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Iloka looked a bit awkward during drills but was still effective. Hard read, not really smooth turning but not stiff just awkward. Hard to explain.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

Anything from Harrison Smith yet?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Posted by Low-FB-IQ

Well he's taller and lankier so I'd expect him to look a bit akward but how did he compare to the other S's? Not concerned about how he performed against DB's more about how he looked against other S's

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

I'm really bummed about Barron. Really wanted to see him. Unless the Pats take care of safety help in FA I really think they need to go after someone like him. "IF" there really is such a disparity between him and EVERY other S in the draft.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I'm really bummed about Barron. Really wanted to see him. Unless the Pats take care of safety help in FA I really think they need to go after someone like him. "IF" there really is such a disparity between him and EVERY other S in the draft.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

The only issue I have with Barron is that he's to similar to Chung. Now if they plan on moving McCourty to FS then I'd be fine with it but I don't want a FS/CB hybrid in the backfield more then a SS that can play FS. We really need a ball hawk who can patrol the deep part of the field and make plays from sideline to sideline

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

in the drill that just finieshed with group 10, the following looked good... missed some though as well like boykin, claiborne, etc... were showing something else.

Flemming
    Haward
    Hosley
    Bentley
    Gilmore

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : The only issue I have with Barron is that he's to similar to Chung. Now if they plan on moving McCourty to FS then I'd be fine with it but I don't want a FS/CB hybrid in the backfield more then a SS that can play FS. We really need a ball hawk who can patrol the deep part of the field and make plays from sideline to sideline
    Posted by PatsEng

They were talking about that alot today on the stream. They are saying there are no more SS really anymore in todays NFL and players aren't being evaluated in that way. How much of it is true no idea.

...but that is my point. That's exactly WHY I wanted to be able to see him against everyone else side by side so I could make up my own mind as to what type he looked like.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Trumaine Johnson- 4.50, 19 reps (6-2 204)

Im really starting to warm up to this kid,

Hopefully he drops coming from a small school, but once you start doing real well in the combine all bets are off. I think of Drayton Florence.

Its good for their draft stock, but bad for our chances. I think we have too many front seven needs to get a DB on the 1st day.

So far T.J. and Iioka look good.

Does anyone know if T.J. is considered a Cb or Safety right now?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Oh and not to make anyone think I don't think Jenkins doesn't look good. He does. Just he's a knuckle-head so I don't really take him serious.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Trumaine Johnson- 4.50, 19 reps (6-2 204) Im really starting to warm up to this kid, Hopefully he drops coming from a small school, but once you start doing real well in the combine all bets are off. I think of Drayton Florence. Its good for their draft stock, but bad for our chances. I think we have too many front seven needs to get a DB on the 1st day. So far T.J. and Iioka look good. Does anyone know if T.J. is considered a Cb or Safety right now?
    Posted by JayShizzle45

I'd make him a safety myself. No idea what he's being considering in scouting circles. He's even jacked up like a safety.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Low, you are right. The new thing is getting the biggest TE you can find and preferably a guy who played B-Ball.

On the other end, with the league being such a passing game, teams are looking to get smaller and quicker in the safety area and basically want to have 2 FS types in the back end to slow down the passing.  I say you can still have SS's if you take them off the field on 3rd or find some that are dynamic enough to do both.  Adrian Wilson is still effective so I dont think they are instinct, but the slower, Roy William types are bieng phased out.

I personally think Laron Landry is one of those rare few who can play SS and still defend the deep middle. He has the speed and experience, just needs a good system to thrive in.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Trumaine Johnson- 4.50, 19 reps (6-2 204) Im really starting to warm up to this kid, Hopefully he drops coming from a small school, but once you start doing real well in the combine all bets are off. I think of Drayton Florence. Its good for their draft stock, but bad for our chances. I think we have too many front seven needs to get a DB on the 1st day. So far T.J. and Iioka look good. Does anyone know if T.J. is considered a Cb or Safety right now?
    Posted by JayShizzle45

JS,
    Was about to respond to you on the Jenkins/Barron thread.  Johnson is a kid that has all the measurables with the size/skill to play S as well.  The knocks are his college level/competition as well as some character red flags (work ethic/leadership ability etc.).  Could be an intriguing Day 2 kid for somebody.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Iloka looks like he has really good hands

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Ohhh Gilmore just choked and caused his team to do pushups. Dropped 2 out of 3

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : JS, Was about to respond to you on the Jenkins/Barron thread.  Johnson is a kid that has all the measurables with the size/skill to play S as well.  The knocks are his college level/competition as well as some character red flags (work ethic/leadership ability etc.).  Could be an intriguing Day 2 kid for somebody.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

They had lomabardi on and they asked him about the competition thing and he said the obvious that we already know.

I am paraphrasing...

"You look through his entire career of games trying to find a matchup against the most elite competition and try to check that.

Other than that you look for a guy to dominate the level of competition he played against consistently and he did that. He can control that and not who he played against."

Like you, I did read somewhere that he is bit of a diva. Can't remember if I already said that somwehere else. It's all kind of mashing together at this point.

Sections
Shortcuts