***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!

On the topic of 40 times.

40 times shouldn't be the end all be all but used more as a comparison for WR's within the draft. Honestly unless a WR blows the times away every draft class is about the same. The top 5% are always about the same speed regardless of class the middle 60% are always about the same and the back 5% are always about the same. Since Hill is in the top 5% you can be assured that he is comparable to the fastest guys from previous years. I don't trust pro-day 40's because of the difference in track speed but at least in the combine it's an equal playing field

What I don't get was 12 years ago when I was in HS and running track, during the state meets they had you wear timing devices on your shoes. When the tag crossed the line it triggered and when you crossed the finish line it stopped. It never affected the outcome but gave you a true 100m time. Why would that be difficult to use?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrogLegs. Show FrogLegs's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!:
    In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : It's a good thing he's considered an early day 2 guy

I don't think the guy will last until 48 (rnd 2). He surely opened up some eyes. He is already considered by Steve Mariucci as the draft best value WR (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/09000d5d8273b6b4/Running-up-the-Hill?continuous=true).

Boy would I like to be a fly on the wall. But, I'd ask Brady to come in for a week when you are bringing players in for private workouts and have him work with the WR's. Let him chose since, if he picks a WR then he can't complain if they don't get it right away
    Posted by PatsEng

Agreed! After all Brday is supposed to work the whole year for the Pat organisation so why not let him evaluate the WRs and let him choose the one(s) he likes most?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

My favorite day of the draft, DL and LBs.  My list of to watch:

First one is Brett Roy 6'3" 275, has played S moved to LB moved to DT at Nevada.  Does he participate on LB drills, how does he move?  He's got some cover skill but his speed and hips will be key to me if he wants to be an OLB.

LB/DE
    Curry
    Jacquies Smith
    Malik Jackson
    Jake Bequette
    Andre Branch
    Jonathan Massaquoi
    McClellin
    Hightower
    (and still high on Zach Brown OLB, want to see him run and show how athletic he is)

DT/DE
    Poe (movement skills, is he athletic enough to play DE?)
    Reyes looks the part, want to see him moving
    Ta'amu (same as Poe)
    Kheeston Randall, I like Randall I know there are some areas he needs to work on but he's got all the tools.  Needs coaching but can be a good DE
    Wolfe
    Travian Robertson (kid to watch from South Carolina, needs better technique but has power and speed 6'4" 300lbs)
    Winn
    Tyrone Crawford 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I don't think the guy will last until 48 (rnd 2). He surely opened up some eyes. He is already considered by Steve Mariucci as a the draft best value WR ( http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/09000d5d8273b6b4/Running-up-the-Hill?continuous=true). Agreed! After all Brday is supposed to work the whole year for the Pat organisation so why not let him evaluate the WRs and let him choose the one(s) he likes most?
    Posted by FrogLegs

#48 might be pushing it truthfully but I don't think he gets taken at the end of the 1st unless someone trades up for him.

I see Sanu, K Wright, Blackmon, Floyd being the 1st round pick WR's this year. Jeffery, Randle, and Hill will be taken in the top 50, so essentially the first half of the 2nd round. Many consider Randle a better prospect then Hill because of the system's they both ran in. Jeffery is the wild card and some have teams taking them off the board while others don't see his on field concerns as an issue.

I guess it all depends on how you feel about those 3 guys. IMO, if you trade one of those 1st back to somewhere in the 35-45 range you target Hill or Randle.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

On the topic of 40 times. 40 times shouldn't be the end all be all but used more as a comparison for WR's within the draft. Honestly unless a WR blows the times away every draft class is about the same. The top 5% are always about the same speed regardless of class the middle 60% are always about the same and the back 5% are always about the same. Since Hill is in the top 5% you can be assured that he is comparable to the fastest guys from previous years. I don't trust pro-day 40's because of the difference in track speed but at least in the combine it's an equal playing field What I don't get was 12 years ago when I was in HS and running track, during the state meets they had you wear timing devices on your shoes. When the tag crossed the line it triggered and when you crossed the finish line it stopped. It never affected the outcome but gave you a true 100m time. Why would that be difficult to use?
    Posted by PatsEng

It wouldn't. They don't care. They don't put or line RFID in the footballs and goal line either or even bother to put cameras on the goal line. Keeps the water cooler talk going for business.

The 40 is just entertainment and bragging rights.

It was created to measure how quickly a player could cover a punt.

They pay far greater attention to "functional" speed and strength.

I'd be far more interested in watching them run the 40 in full pads, knee braces(OL), etc. As well as skill position players ALSO carrying a football. ...even without them changing how they start and stop the timing.

Actually, all the drills, timed, measured, and positional.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Important thing to note. Looks like Clev won't trade up with the Rams to get RGIII. Was is reporting that they are looking to put together a Williams type of deal to move up to #2 and grab RGIII.

This is important to the Pats because Was also liked Weeden, If they couldn't get RGIII. They might have traded back into the late 1st to get Weeden so they were a potential trade partner for one of the 1st's.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : It wouldn't. They don't care. They don't put or line RFID in the footballs and goal line either or even bother to put cameras on the goal line. Keeps the water cooler talk going for business. The 40 is just entertainment and bragging rights. It was created to measure how quickly a player could cover a punt. They pay far greater attention to "functional" speed and strength. I'd be far more interested in watching them run the 40 in full pads, knee braces(OL), etc. As well as skill position players ALSO carrying a football. ...even without them changing how they start and stop the timing. Actually, all the drills, timed, measured, and positional.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

Though 40 times generally not all that important the 10yrd split imo is extremely important. It does measure that quick burst in getting off the line. That makes a difference if a player needs time to get up to speed or if they hit their top gear quickly.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Anyone else excited about the DL and LB drills today?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Posted by PatsEng

I cleared my schedule for this one, this is my favorite day of the combine. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Though 40 times generally not all that important the 10yrd split imo is extremely important. It does measure that quick burst in getting off the line. That makes a difference if a player needs time to get up to speed or if they hit their top gear quickly.
    Posted by PatsEng

Yes more than 40 agreed but in the way they do it? Not so much. Again no equipment AND more importantly you are leaving on your own accord when you are good and ready and relaxed.

You will get a completely different set of results if the players had to leave on a varying cadence, including hard counts by a QB and ball(snap) movement. ...and by results I don't mean times, that part is obvious. I mean a very different set of top performers. Especially if you add a 10th of a second to a players time for every time they jump off side.

...but all of that would make too much sense to do.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Posted by PatsEng

What time do they start today?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Yes more than 40 agreed but in the way they do it? Not so much. Again no equipment AND more importantly you are leaving on your own accord when you are good and ready and relaxed. You will get a completely different set of results if the players had to leave on a varying cadence, including hard counts by a QB and ball(snap) movement. ...and by results I don't mean times, that part is obvious. I mean a very different set of top performers. Especially if you add a 10th of a second to a players time for every time they jump off side. ...but all of that would make too much sense to do.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

Well it's more a measure of how quickly they get up to speed then it is a measure of reaction. They have different drills to measure reaction speed. But, I agree. What I would like is a straight 25yrd burst with reaction test. You have them stand as if they were on a line and have their head turned watching a light. Have it flash yellow a random set of times (1-5) and when it turns green they have to go. You have lasers setup at every 5yrd and when the field is broken is a measuring point timed with the green light. Pretty simple, easy to setup, and would give true reaction, burst times

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : What time do they start today?
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

Here's the schedule

http://www.nfl.com/combine/live

I sort have wished I took the day off. I'm recording it but watching times come up on a screen just isn't the same

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Wow Branch has really long arms

Ran 4.62, 6'4.25" 259lbs

Brockers 6'5" 322 lbs 35" arms

Cox 1.63 10yrd split 4.79 40 at 298lbs, wow

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

wow Fletcher Cox 4.79

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

wow Fletcher Cox 4.79
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

1.63 10 yrd split, they made a comment, thats WR split type time.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Curry sucked on the 40, WTH! 4.97?  what is that?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

DL I generally don't care about 10yrds or 40yrds at all. Honestly for a DL how often are they running more then 2yrds without someone hitting them?

I generally care about cone and shuttle to show CoD ability and quick burst as they have to change direction with those large bodies

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : 1.63 10 yrd split, they made a comment, thats WR split type time.
    Posted by Pats7393

Exactly

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Posted by Pats7393

Good, remember Spikes had a slow 40 and his stock was killed by it. 40 is meaningless to DL and rushing LB's.

If he stock is hurt better chance we can grab him

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Posted by Pats7393

1.7 split

He won't be chasing anyone down from behind it seems lol

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Good, remember Spikes had a slow 40 and his stock was killed by it. 40 is meaningless to DL and rushing LB's. If he stock is hurt better chance we can grab him
    Posted by PatsEng

I want a guy who brings speed around the edge, now question is did he play faster because of level of competition or is he quicker in short bursts?

If he drops in coverage most TEs now will give him trouble keeping up.  Getting outside to the flats to cover a RB could be trouble.  

Andre Branch 1.56 split, that's fast, 
    Malik Jackson 1.69 4.93 at 6'5" 284, that's 34 DE material not OLB like i had him

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Thing that concerns me is Brockers with only 19reps with 225. That's extremely low for a DL his size

Cox with 30reps. Shows good strength. IMO Cox is going to end up in Den at #25

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Interesting that Melvin Ingram didn't show up as one of the top 10 splits considering how fast he was

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Thing that concerns me is Brockers with only 19reps with 225. That's extremely low for a DL his size Cox with 30reps. Shows good strength. IMO Cox is going to end up in Den at #25
    Posted by PatsEng

He might not even last that long

Sections
Shortcuts