***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!:
    In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : While I think he Coale could play some slot, I think he has the size, speed, quicks and skill set to win on the outside at the NFL level.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

So do I...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Guys, my head is spinning.  First Manning signs in Denver, a move I called months ago, then the Pats go on a spending spree.  I did the math the other day, guys, we're broke.  In fact, we are beyond broke.  Technically, Welker, Hoyer and Love don't count against the cap until they sign but the moment Welker signs, he breaks the bank.  The Gallery signing was an interesting one, especially, that I never saw coming.  I see him only as a guard now.  Since we would be set at LG (the position he knows best) I assume we move him to RG and waive Waters.  Shame, I like Waters.  Gallery is a beast in the run game.  He's average at best in the passing game.  We all know this.  I think BB is trying to make a statement.  BJGE was never going to be the back that could run out the clock.  We all know this too.  I bet BB is thinking what a lot of us were thinking, we need to be able to protect leads.  We could be looking at an improved passing attack complimented by a smash mouth run game. Looking at the draft, and the roster, and the likelihood that BJGE is leaving, I would not be shocked if we took a RB pretty high.  We need a Corey Dillon type guy who you can't stop even when you know it's coming.  As crazy as this seems and to me too, I could see us getting a Doug Martin, David Wilson or Lamarr Miller or even a change of pace like LaMichael James.  I know none of you will agree with me, but if BJGE leaves, we have an open spot.  I don't think Polite or Faulk will be back.
    Posted by Faucetman

Although nothing ever surprises me with them when it comes to the draft so I certainly have no crystal ball by any means with their thinking but I personally do not see them drafting a RB, especially not high.

Doesn't make any sense to me really, even with BJGE possibly leaving. 

Would I be shocked or phased? Nope but to me it would say more about the position quality everywhere else in the draft and less about the need for a RB on the team. All indications however is that is not the case with this RB class. Outside of Richardson there is suppose to be an enormous drop off??

I do like Doug Martin though. Just not sure it matters without the commitment and not knowing how the parts they currently have fit into what ever McD has in mind.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

...From DraftAce

"Most mock drafts have linked the Patriots to a cornerback (or two) with their four 1st and 2nd round picks. But since they’re looking for depth more than just one playmaker, they don’t necessarily need to spend a high pick on the position.

The Patriots have reportedly scheduled pre-draft visits with LSU cornerback Ron Brooks and Omar Bolden of Arizona State.

Both prospects should come off the board no earlier than the 3rd round, but could each compete for playing time immediately in the Patriots secondary.

Bolden could be of particular interest to the Patriots, who aren’t afraid to gamble on prospects with high upside. Bolden’s stock has fallen considerably after missing most of the 2008 and all of the 2011 season with injuries. But when healthy, Bolden, who was a starter since his freshman year at Arizona State, has shown legitimate starter potential."

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE.... This one will be about going into the draft with no need (major) to pick best available or if any player is not worth that pick, trade move down pickup for 2013
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

i believe we will see more of the latter. the only hinge is if they find a trade partner.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Guys, my head is spinning.  First Manning signs in Denver, a move I called months ago, then the Pats go on a spending spree.  I did the math the other day, guys, we're broke.  In fact, we are beyond broke.  Technically, Welker, Hoyer and Love don't count against the cap until they sign but the moment Welker signs, he breaks the bank.  The Gallery signing was an interesting one, especially, that I never saw coming.  I see him only as a guard now.  Since we would be set at LG (the position he knows best) I assume we move him to RG and waive Waters.  Shame, I like Waters.  Gallery is a beast in the run game.  He's average at best in the passing game.  We all know this.  I think BB is trying to make a statement.  BJGE was never going to be the back that could run out the clock.  We all know this too.  I bet BB is thinking what a lot of us were thinking, we need to be able to protect leads.  We could be looking at an improved passing attack complimented by a smash mouth run game. Looking at the draft, and the roster, and the likelihood that BJGE is leaving, I would not be shocked if we took a RB pretty high.  We need a Corey Dillon type guy who you can't stop even when you know it's coming.  As crazy as this seems and to me too, I could see us getting a Doug Martin, David Wilson or Lamarr Miller or even a change of pace like LaMichael James.  I know none of you will agree with me, but if BJGE leaves, we have an open spot.  I don't think Polite or Faulk will be back.
    Posted by Faucetman

miller is maroney 2.0.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

SI's dueling Top 5 over-rated draft prospects...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

i agree on poe, tannenhill and sanders
    i understand skepticism on upshaw and still

i disagree on richardson, kuechly and floyd
    i believe a big part of the reason that their positions did not make sense that high in the draft in the past had to do with the ridiculous cost to signing rookies. with the rookie cap, i believe the value equation changed and taking those positions that high is not much more okay if not perfectly okay

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Although nothing ever surprises me with them when it comes to the draft so I certainly have no crystal ball by any means with their thinking but I personally do not see them drafting a RB, especially not high. Doesn't make any sense to me really, even with BJGE possibly leaving.  Would I be shocked or phased? Nope but to me it would say more about the position quality everywhere else in the draft and less about the need for a RB on the team. All indications however is that is not the case with this RB class. Outside of Richardson there is suppose to be an enormous drop off?? I do like Doug Martin though. Just not sure it matters without the commitment and not knowing how the parts they currently have fit into what ever McD has in mind.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

possible loss of BJGE, not having seen anything to speak of from Vereen adds up to just Woodhead and Ridley which equals = possible draft pick at the position again.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : i agree on poe, tannenhill and sanders i understand skepticism on upshaw and still i disagree on richardson, kuechly and floyd i believe a big part of the reason that their positions did not make sense that high in the draft in the past had to do with the ridiculous cost to signing rookies. with the rookie cap, i believe the value equation changed and taking those positions that high is not much more okay if not perfectly okay
    Posted by seattlepat70

i meant to say taking those positions that is now much more okay

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : possible loss of BJGE, not having seen anything to speak of from Vereen adds up to just Woodhead and Ridley which equals = possible draft pick at the position again.
    Posted by Faucetman

i'm not going to say no to rb... i don;t see them picking up one until third rnd or third day.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : If he has to rely on those things you mentioned then he isn't any good at the things that MB listed in the first place. The latter is an excuse for the former. The players who have both go in the top 5 traditionally every year.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

in a year like this with a boat load of good receivers coming out. more big receivers with some combination of the aforementioned will be sprinkled in the draftn beyond the top half of round 1.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : i'm not going to say no to rb... i don;t see them picking up one until third rnd or third day.
    Posted by seattlepat70

YOu live in SEA?  What's your take on the Gallery pick?  RG?  Will donte coach him up?

As for RB. don't rule it out.  Did you think we were going to burn a 2nd and 3rd last year on the position?  I wouldn't count out receiver either.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Crazy things happen on Draft Day, with 2 1st rounders, and if Richardson falls, you never know.
    Posted by bobbysu

I am making that call. We will take the kid with Saban's seal of approval.

We will strike a deal with Clev.

I think we need a combo at RB and Vereen and Richardson will be perfect. Both can catch out of the backfield, very similar players. The diff i see in watching film of the two is that T.Rich is just a bit more solid ( Vereen is underated on his size ) and the big diff is Richardson has a knack for making the defender miss and keeping his momentum upfield. He moves such a small amount and fakes guys out of there shoes. Alot of RB jump step on deke moves and comit themselves to early. Rich can deke three times in a microsecond and not comit till the defender gives it away. Very hard to master skill. I don't see any dancing in his game.

What would it take to get that done I am unsure. Hoyer and Ridley might both be attractive players on top of the needed picks.

How about Mallet??? Clev might be chomping at the bit for Mallet after a quiet year behind Brady. Funny I have not heard anyone mention him as trade bait these days, only Hoyer on the bus out of town.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I am making that call. We will take the kid with Saban's seal of approval. We will strike a deal with Clev. I think we need a combo at RB and Vereen and Richardson will be perfect. Both can catch out of the backfield, very similar players. The diff i see in watching film of the two is that T.Rich is just a bit more solid ( Vereen is underated on his size ) and the big diff is Richardson has a knack for making the defender miss and keeping his momentum upfield. He moves such a small amount and fakes guys out of there shoes. Alot of RB jump step on deke moves and comit themselves to early. Rich can deke three times in a microsecond and not comit till the defender gives it away. Very hard to master skill. I don't see any dancing in his game. What would it take to get that done I am unsure. Hoyer and Ridley might both be attractive players on top of the needed picks. How about Mallet??? Clev might be chomping at the bit for Mallet after a quiet year behind Brady. Funny I have not heard anyone mention him as trade bait these days, only Hoyer on the bus out of town.
    Posted by Asher77

till mallet proves he is not bradys successor, mallet isnt going anywhere.
    cleveland's pick is too high.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

Well Mallet may have already proved he is not Brady's protege (don't think this is the case, just possible ).
    We all think Brady has a few good years left and it is a hard sell to keep a guy with talent sitting on the pine. Two more years maybe, but if Brady plays more than that I think we lose Mallet. Why not cash a chip in when it may not ever be higher. If we project Hoyer as a capable backup and signed him at 1.9M then Mallet is expendable. A chip used now is good value when you consider it may only be as useful again 5 years down the road. Why trade him next year or the year after? His name will fade some over time, right now he is still a shining talent in people's minds and the political stink of picking him high in the draft has washed off in the cleansing Patriot water.

Clev needs a QB ( heck they are talking Tannehill ), we might have to get to 4 to secure Richardson.

Mallet, #27 and #48 could get it close to done? Humor me please, what would you think it takes to move up? I don't see the Redskins deal as much of a factor here ( no franchise QB on line ). I also see Mallet as equal to a mid first to a desperate team lacking in franchise QB potential.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

by the way, today both matt williamson and ross tucker think wimbley would be a perfect fit in new england as a 34 outside lb.

doestn look like it.
    but if ww signed, i seriously consider shopping him for a 1 or high 2 and use the $ to try to land wimbley, 3 years(or 4 doesnt matter since not guaranteed), 1 guaranteed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Well Mallet may have already proved he is not Brady's protege (don't think this is the case, just possible ). We all think Brady has a few good years left and it is a hard sell to keep a guy with talent sitting on the pine. Two more years maybe, but if Brady plays more than that I think we lose Mallet. Why not cash a chip in when it may not ever be higher. If we project Hoyer as a capable backup and signed him at 1.9M then Mallet is expendable. A chip used now is good value when you consider it may only be as useful again 5 years down the road. Why trade him next year or the year after? His name will fade some over time, right now he is still a shining talent in people's minds and the political stink of picking him high in the draft has washed off in the cleansing Patriot water. Clev needs a QB ( heck they are talking Tannehill ), we might have to get to 4 to secure Richardson. Mallet, #27 and #48 could get it close to done? Humor me please, what would you think it takes to move up? I don't see the Redskins deal as much of a factor here ( no franchise QB on line ). I also see Mallet as equal to a mid first to a desperate team lacking in franchise QB potential.
    Posted by Asher77

id do neither trade all that nor trade mallet at this point.
    on record as wanting to shop hoyer.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

where ya been rame?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : YOu live in SEA?  What's your take on the Gallery pick?  RG?  Will donte coach him up? As for RB. don't rule it out.   Did you think we were going to burn a 2nd and 3rd last year on the position?  I wouldn't count out receiver either.
    Posted by Faucetman

Mankins insurance. It's been reported Logan had acl surgery post SB.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : possible loss of BJGE, not having seen anything to speak of from Vereen adds up to just Woodhead and Ridley which equals = possible draft pick at the position again.
    Posted by Faucetman

Not anything to speak of? Given his limited reps he flashed superbly. Again, rookie, no off season OTA, Established personnel in front of him for Pats to rely on. No place or need for him at that time to be rushed into service. He only played in two games. You can only judge him on his opportunities and the situations of the games. He might have not faired well against the Eagles but go look at the box scores. NO Pats RB did squat in that game. In fact Brady was the 2nd leading rusher in that game with the highest avg. His only other game was against the Chiefs where he had a 4.9 avg. a long of 19 yards and a touchdown.

In fact I would argue the fact that they are not worry about losing BJGE speaks to the Pats liking and feeling comfortable with what they have. Especially given that they seem content with sinking or swimming on Bradys arm.

Not saying it won't happen or you that you are wrong in anyway. I just don't see it. Not when they, for two seasons, went with two UDFA RB's and now have two brand new young running backs they just spent 2nd and 3rd round picks on. Add to that the fact that most of the leagues top rushing leaders of recent drafts have been drafted later or not drafted at all.

Finally, I have heard from posters saying how we need a guy like Dillon. Well he's one of maybe the top 12-15 RB's in league history in my opinion. Not easy to come by. Also people say we need a running back who you can't stop even though you know it's coming. No such thing. Adrian Peterson, widely considered the best back in the league at the moment, can't even do that. Last season Peterson was held well under 4 yards a carry in four games.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : in a year like this with a boat load of good receivers coming out. more big receivers with some combination of the aforementioned will be sprinkled in the draftn beyond the top half of round 1.
    Posted by bredbru

Yes because it is considered a deep, as far as depth goes, class. ...Not a deep as far as "elite" class. Those same mid level guys going this year are the same as other years, just more of them available. Those  guys are not your Calvin Johnson, AJ Green, or Randy Moss guys who have all the attributes. It's been said by many a scout that even Blackmon who will be the 1st receiver taken isn't really considered elite or in the class of those types of top 10 WR's.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : i agree on poe, tannenhill and sanders i understand skepticism on upshaw and still i disagree on richardson, kuechly and floyd i believe a big part of the reason that their positions did not make sense that high in the draft in the past had to do with the ridiculous cost to signing rookies. with the rookie cap, i believe the value equation changed and taking those positions that high is not much more okay if not perfectly okay
    Posted by seattlepat70

I was thinking the same thing when I was listening...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : YOu live in SEA?  What's your take on the Gallery pick?  RG?  Will donte coach him up? As for RB. don't rule it out.  Did you think we were going to burn a 2nd and 3rd last year on the position?  I wouldn't count out receiver either.
    Posted by Faucetman

Love it as long as he's healthy. Mankins had knee issues all year and played through it and even had ACL surgery this off season. Gallery can play just about anywhere on the line and has been good. People's perceptions of him are worse because he was picked so high and then later kicked inside to play guard. He played at Iowa, they produced good OL's consistently. He's been a consistent starter at the NFL level. He'll be in Scars hands. He's extremely versatile. You have back issues with Vollmer, Concussions with Solder, Waters potential retirement and his own knee issue he dealt with last season just like Mankins. They signed Fells but no reason Gallery can't play as the extra Tackle in the TE spot if it was needed either. No downside.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : left this thread for a bit, action is going to really heat up in a few weeks tho what do you think about our two first rd picks, or a 1st 2nd and Mallet/Hoyer for Trent Richardson/pick 4 bred? mb has to give us a new mock as soon as free agency seems over
    Posted by rameakap

Have a pretty good idea of where I'd like to see them go in Rds 2-7 (assuming they pick up a pick or 2 between Rd 5-7), but my brain is all over the map when it comes to Rd 1.  I have players in mind (listed on my board thread), just not sure where to place them, ha.

Sections
Shortcuts