***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!:
    Updated Board: Rd 1 Rd 2   Keeping an eye on: S- Mark   Barron OG Kevin Zeitler   DL- Billy Winn DL- Fletcher Cox S- Harrison Smith   DL Mike Martin OLB- Courtney Upshaw CB- Jayron Hosley   DE/OLB-Whitney Mercilus LB- Dont'a Hightower WR- Rueben Randle   DE/OLB- Tyrone Crawford CB/S- Stephon Gilmore CB-Josh Robinson   CB- Chase Minnifield DL- Kendall Reyes CB Brandon Boykin   CB- Casey Hayward C- Peter Konz DE/OLB- Vinny Curry   S- Markelle Martin CB- Janoris Jenkins DE/OLB- Shea McClellin   OT/OG- Jeff Allen WR- Alshon Jeffery   OT/OG- Tony Bergstrom DL- Jerel Worthy   OT/OG- Brandon Washington   OT- Mitchell Schwartz Rd 3 Rd 4   OT- Zebrie Sanders DE/OLB- Cam Johnson DL- Derek Wolfe   OT- Brandon Mosley WR- Marvin Jones WR- Joe Adams   OG- Lucas Nix WR- Greg Childs WR- Devon Wylie   C- Phillip Blake S- George Iloka DE/OLB- Jake Bequette   C- Mike Brewster DL- Alameda Ta'amu OG- Joe Looney   WR- Mohamed Sanu RB- Chris Polk CB- Omar Bolden   WR- Chris Givens C- Ben Jones OLB- Kyle Wilber   WR- Ryan Broyles OG/OT- Senio Kelemete WR- Marvin McNutt   WR- Jarius Wright CB- Leonard Johnson DL- Josh Chapman   WR- AJ Jenkins RB- Doug Martin Rd's 5-URFA CB- Ron Brooks WR- Danny Coale LB- Vontaze Burfict DL- Kheeston Randall C/OG- Quentin Saulsberry DL- Markus Kuhn LB- Tank Carder OLB- Darius Fleming OLB- Vince Browne OLB- Tyler Nielsen DE/OLB- Brett Roy DL- Matt Conrath DL- Taylor Thompson DL- Dominique Hamilton DL- Ryan Van Bergen DL- Ethan Johnson DL- Jaye Howard S- Brandon Taylor S- Jerron McMillian S- Dequan Menzie S- Jordan Bernstine CB/S- Neiko Thorpe CB/S- Robert Blanton CB/S- Coryell Judie CB- Asa Jackson CB- Coty Sensabaugh OG/OT- Markus Zusevics OG/OT- Nate Potter OT/OG- Tom Compton OT- Andrew Datko OG- Adam Gettis TE- Brad Herman TE- George Bryan TE- Chase Ford TE- Kevin Koger RB- Jonas Gray RB-   Robert Turbin RB- Jeremy Stewart WR- Marquis Maze WR- TJ Graham WR- Kashif Moore WR- Chris Owusu WR- Aaron Pflugrad      
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

hey mb,

i see no chance cox is available at 27.
    barron i see very little chance

if janoris jenkins , reyes and barron are available in rd 1, i try to get all 3, maybe with a 1 from ww trade or 2 from hoyer.

in round 2, i like curry as first priority
    then jefferey or someone of his ilk with the second pick.

in 3 someone like ben jones or other c

(re: cam johnson, doesnt he have sickle cell? what if we have to go to denver in the playoffs?)

rd 4 
        wylie is my first choice or another wh could play the slot
        wolfe and mcnutt as other options.

others my eye is on are 
       cox, mercilus, sanu broyles, blake

undrafted free agents i like are 
        junior hemingway stud slot guy but super strong as well.
    danny coale

dont have any backs but i'd like to pickup a potential triple threat feature back.

thanks man

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I was thinking the same think in regards to Brady restructuring, wonder what they're angling for. I like Doug Martin a lot, but agree, don't think they touch a RB in Rd 1 or 2.  However, Chris Polk (in Rd 3) is the kid that interests me... good size, physical north/south kid, can catch the football and has some ability in pass pro.  I do think they could use another veteran back there though.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

My two cents is Brady agreed to do this to extend Welker.  Welker has been Brady's security blanket for 5 years.  Brady is very fond of Welker.

As for RB early, normally I'd agree with you and others but with all the depth they brought in at other positions, I think there is a chance they target a RB in the first two rounds.  I would not rule it out.  I agree that it isn't likely but I can't rule it out now that Benny moved on.  I like Polk too. 

Looks like Light is probably going to retire from what I'm hearing.  That leaves us two young tackles plus Cannon, who I think may be best kicking inside.  Drafting a top OL, if available, is certainly a strong possibility.  We've seen this before.  DL or OL, get prepared for us to draft one in our first 3 picks.  I'd take that to the bank.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

re my recent mock,

bunting has janoris jenkins lasting to 30 to sf and barron to us at 31
    given that scenario we could get jenkins and barron and move up in rd 2 to get curry or reyes or both.\
       that would be strong.
    especially if we got another pick in rd 1 or 2 from hoyer or ww.

jenkins and barron in rd 1
    reyes, curry and jefferey (insert other big wr here) in 2nd
    ben jones or other c in 3rd
    wylie or other wwelker replacemnt in 4th.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : My two cents is Brady agreed to do this to extend Welker.  Welker has been Brady's security blanket for 5 years.  Brady is very fond of Welker. As for RB early, normally I'd agree with you and others but with all the depth they brought in at other positions, I think there is a chance they target a RB in the first two rounds.  I would not rule it out.  I agree that it isn't likely but I can't rule it out now that Benny moved on.  I like Polk too.  Looks like Light is probably going to retire from what I'm hearing.  That leaves us two young tackles plus Cannon, who I think may be best kicking inside.  Drafting a top OL, if available, is certainly a strong possibility.  We've seen this before.  DL or OL, get prepared for us to draft one in our first 3 picks.  I'd take that to the bank.
    Posted by Faucetman

Pats just got their 4th RB, Spencer Larsen. 1st two rounds will be D and/or trade
    down city.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Pats just got their 4th RB, Spencer Larsen. 1st two rounds will be D and/or trade down city.
    Posted by teegee

Larsen to me is more of a Dan Klecko type of player. Mostly a STer that can play ironman football. He's versatile depth so I see him more as a 5th RB. Hern might actually be the 4th option or that kid from Navy we drafted a while ago. I think his tour is up and he can play this year

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : wolfe is a round 4 guys for you? He was a pretty big sack/tfl guy, I'd consider him at 63
    Posted by rameakap

He's consistently listed as a Rd 4-6 in most publications that I've seen so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. While I really haven't seen him listed as a Top 100 player, I think Rd 3 could be his upside.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

mb,    on gilmore; bunting, rang, the editor of nfl draft monster and pigskin paul were done on gilmore as - overrated, limited, only good in a zone and not intrested till the 3rd or 4th rd.
    Posted by bredbru

I disagree and think Gilmore is a solid football player, that projects as a starter and 4 down player at the NFL level.  NE runs a predominantly zone scheme so Gilmore would also be a very good fit for them (don't think he's limited to zone only either)... I also think he could play some S as he's quick to read & close and is a solid tackler.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : hey mb,  i see no chance cox is available at 27. barron i see very little chance if janoris jenkins , reyes and barron are available in rd 1, i try to get all 3, maybe with a 1 from ww trade or 2 from hoyer. in round 2, i like curry as first priority then jefferey or someone of his ilk with the second pick. in 3 someone like ben jones or other c (re: cam johnson, doesnt he have sickle cell? what if we have to go to denver in the playoffs?) rd 4      wylie is my first choice or another wh could play the slot     wolfe and mcnutt as other options. others my eye is on are     cox, mercilus, sanu broyles, blake undrafted free agents i like are      junior hemingway stud slot guy but super strong as well. danny coale dont have any backs but i'd like to pickup a potential triple threat feature back. thanks man
    Posted by bredbru

hey mb,

Happy Friday! 

i see no chance cox is available at 27.

barron i see very little chance

I don’t disagree that either will not be there at 27, however I do think both are potential trade up targets, within reason (if they’re available in the 20’s etc.). 

if janoris jenkins , reyes and barron are available in rd 1, i try to get all 3, maybe with a 1 from ww trade or 2 from hoyer.

For me, I’d look at Barron/Reyes, then think they’re more likely to target another CB in Rd 2 (or Day 2) (Hosley/Robinson/Boykin etc.) as it’s a relatively deep class at the position. 

in round 2, i like curry as first priority

then jefferey or someone of his ilk with the second pick.

Wouldn’t get any complaints from me if they go Curry with 2A.  Jeffery is someone that they’ll have to do their homework on, but this kid has shredded SEC defenses and I can only image how much better he’d perform with quality QB play.  Excellent value in Rd 2, IMO. 

in 3 someone like ben jones or other c

(re: cam johnson, doesnt he have sickle cell? what if we have to go to denver in the playoffs?)

He has the trait for sickle cell, yes.  That’s one of the reasons why I have him in Rd 3. 

thanks man

Welcome!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : My two cents is Brady agreed to do this to extend Welker.  Welker has been Brady's security blanket for 5 years.  Brady is very fond of Welker. As for RB early, normally I'd agree with you and others but with all the depth they brought in at other positions, I think there is a chance they target a RB in the first two rounds.  I would not rule it out.  I agree that it isn't likely but I can't rule it out now that Benny moved on.  I like Polk too.  Looks like Light is probably going to retire from what I'm hearing.  That leaves us two young tackles plus Cannon, who I think may be best kicking inside.  Drafting a top OL, if available, is certainly a strong possibility.  We've seen this before.  DL or OL, get prepared for us to draft one in our first 3 picks.  I'd take that to the bank.
    Posted by Faucetman

Faucet,
    I agree, was talking to a co-worker about this yesterday, in regards to the restructuring somehow being linked to Welker.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I disagree and think Gilmore is a solid football player, that projects as a starter and 4 down player at the NFL level.  NE runs a predominantly zone scheme so Gilmore would also be a very good fit for them (don't think he's limited to zone only either)... I also think he could play some S as he's quick to read & close and is a solid tackler.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

Agree on Gilmore, I would like Pats to draft a CB to move to FS.  The way the NFL is now you need solid cover guys, with a CB at FS you can leave them there when a team tries to spread them out.

Don't know if Gilmore or someone like Omar Bolden in the 3rd round. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from paularnold. Show paularnold's posts

I think with the direction of the passing has taken over the past few years that there is going to be an evolution in the secondary.  The proliferation of receiving TE's like Gates, Gronk, VD, Hernandez, D. Clark, Graham, Finley, and Witten, with I'm sure more to come, has put the traditional safety at a disadvantage.  (As an aside these guys accentuate why the defenseless receiver rules suck.  The best way to stop these guys from going over the middle is to knock them out.  They don't have to worry about Ronnie Lott decapitating them over the middle anymore.  There is no fear in catching the ball in the middle of the field any more.  But enough about that, just needed to vent).  I think there will be a need for big cornerbacks who can cover yet still have the ability to tackle. Part of the problem here is that the college game isn't producing guys who can cover these hybrid TEs.  There are so few athletes like the Gronks or Grahams in college that you may only face one or two a year so you never develop a guy who can cover him.  Your CB's range from 5'8 to 6'1 while these guys are 6'4 to 6'7.  It's a big mismatch.  Another problem you run into is that the taller the defensive player, the less fluidity that they generally have in their hips which makes it hard to cut with the guy they are covering.
    With all this I think that developing a FS who can cover like a CB is becoming more important.  This is why I like the idea of developing McCourty there if that's how it plays out.  If Dowling and Arrington can play on the outside and they draft another corner, I have no problem with McCourty at safety on passing downs.  Maybe use him as an outside cover corner on the early downs and rotate him to FS for passing downs.  I don't know how this would work in practice but I like it in theory.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

So reports are slowly coming out that there might be 4-5 WR's taken in the top 20-25 picks and 3 QB's in the top 15.

The WR's:

Blackmon
    Floyd
    Wright
    Randle (after a very impressive pro day)
    Hill (comparisons to Thomas but further along and more upside)

The QB's:

Luck
    RGIII
    Tannehill

Now that's 7-8 O players not including the 4-5 OL expected to go in the top 25. It's looking more and more likely that on of the top 5 DL will be available at #27 This can only be a good thing for the Pats imo

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

So reports are slowly coming out that there might be 4-5 WR's taken in the top 20-25 picks and 3 QB's in the top 15. The WR's: Blackmon Floyd Wright Randle (after a very impressive pro day) Hill (comparisons to Thomas but further along and more upside) The QB's: Luck RGIII Tannehill Now that's 7-8 O players not including the 4-5 OL expected to go in the top 25. It's looking more and more likely that on of the top 5 DL will be available at #27 This can only be a good thing for the Pats imo
    Posted by PatsEng

If 5 WR's go, I'd agree that those are the most likely candidates... though the PFT mock had NE taking Brockers and Brian Quick at 27/31, haha.  Nothing against Brian Quick and I think he has solid potential, but if BB goes WR in Rd 1, I'd have a hard time believing it'd be from a 1AA school.

I also agree that it can only mean good things for NE as I highly doubt they'd target a WR in Rd 1.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Faucet, I agree, was talking to a co-worker about this yesterday, in regards to the restructuring somehow being linked to Welker.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

chris price adn buckley both dotn believe brady restructure is not about welker but about extending gronk and hern. i think thisis their hunch or they have inside info and dont want to say. this would be a dream fro me however. i said this all last year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : hey mb,   Happy Friday!    i see no chance cox is available at 27. barron i see very little chance   I don’t disagree that either will not be there at 27, however I do think both are potential trade up targets, within reason (if they’re available in the 20’s etc.).   if janoris jenkins , reyes and barron are available in rd 1, i try to get all 3, maybe with a 1 from ww trade or 2 from hoyer.   For me, I’d look at Barron/Reyes, then think they’re more likely to target another CB in Rd 2 (or Day 2) (Hosley/Robinson/Boykin etc.) as it’s a relatively deep class at the position.   in round 2, i like curry as first priority then jefferey or someone of his ilk with the second pick.   Wouldn’t get any complaints from me if they go Curry with 2A.   Jeffery is someone that they’ll have to do their homework on, but this kid has shredded SEC defenses and I can only image how much better he’d perform with quality QB play.   Excellent value in Rd 2, IMO.   in 3 someone like ben jones or other c   (re: cam johnson, doesnt he have sickle cell? what if we have to go to denver in the playoffs?)   He has the trait for sickle cell, yes.   That’s one of the reasons why I have him in Rd 3.   thanks man   Welcome!
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

thanks for the post.

we differ around jenkins.

here's my thinking. how many years do you think it will be before we agin get a chance to draft a potential shut down corner from where the pats will be picking in the next several years?

only way is a serious injury or a serious character question.

here is jenkins.

io think he should be priority ohne becasue of the opportunity

my 2nd highest priority
    one of reyes, still, brockers

next highest curry

then big outside wr

if we can add barron into all that, id love to upgrade safety,

gotta have center/interior line

ww replacement

thats my priority order, not draft order necessarily,

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Agree on Gilmore, I would like Pats to draft a CB to move to FS.  The way the NFL is now you need solid cover guys, with a CB at FS you can leave them there when a team tries to spread them out. Don't know if Gilmore or someone like Omar Bolden in the 3rd round. 
    Posted by Pats7393

which way did you agree?
    RE 3RD RD, they would only takek him in 3rd not that thats where he would be available

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

So reports are slowly coming out that there might be 4-5 WR's taken in the top 20-25 picks and 3 QB's in the top 15. The WR's: Blackmon Floyd Wright Randle (after a very impressive pro day) Hill (comparisons to Thomas but further along and more upside) The QB's: Luck RGIII Tannehill Now that's 7-8 O players not including the 4-5 OL expected to go in the top 25. It's looking more and more likely that on of the top 5 DL will be available at #27 This can only be a good thing for the Pats imo
    Posted by PatsEng

agreed

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : which way did you agree? RE 3RD RD, they would only takek him in 3rd not that thats where he would be available
    Posted by bredbru

mb's assesment of him, I don't think he'll be available that late.  maybe not even out of the 1st round.

Might be a waste of a CB but I would love to see Gilmore at FS, I think he would turn into a heck of a ball hawk back there.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : mb's assesment of him, I don't think he'll be available that late.  maybe not even out of the 1st round. Might be a waste of a CB but I would love to see Gilmore at FS, I think he would turn into a heck of a ball hawk back there.
    Posted by Pats7393

and if he were to be a demon ball hawk that is what we need over a strong safety (not that that could not be improved as well). matter of priorities with so many needs.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Larsen to me is more of a Dan Klecko type of player. Mostly a STer that can play ironman football. He's versatile depth so I see him more as a 5th RB. Hern might actually be the 4th option or that kid from Navy we drafted a while ago. I think his tour is up and he can play this year
    Posted by PatsEng

Agree. Larsen is here for goaline and ST's. No way can he be considered a feature back.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : ... Drafting a top OL, if available, is certainly a strong possibility.  We've seen this before.  DL or OL, get prepared for us to draft one in our first 3 picks.  I'd take that to the bank.
    Posted by Faucetman

first thing that came to my mind upon reading about those light to retire tumors. mike adams seems to be the OT who's going to be at the 27-31 range.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

i want dl and ol so that is good by me.
    i want a dominating o line, i just hoped we could get someone in rd 3 maybe who could be elite.
    also want jenkins shutdown corner and to take advantage of the plethora of receivers available this year (a big outside guy and a slot guy)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

incidentally why is there so little on the thread today?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

Posted by PatsEng

I also think that TE Coby Fleener will sneak in ahead of us in Rd 1.

So that's potentially 8 players that we wouldn't need in the first place.  A few big names are going to fall through the cracks.  

Here are the names without a question are out of reach of #27-

In no particular order.
    1. Luck
    2. Griffin
    3. Tannehill
    4. Floyd
    5. Blackmon 
    6. Coples
    7. Wright
    8. Fleener
    9. Richardson
    10. Kalil
    11. Reiff
    12. DeCastro
    13. Ingram
    14. Poe 
    15. Cox
    16. Upshaw
    17. Kuechly
    18. Claiborne

That leaves alot of other great players to chose from to include-
    1. Brockers
    2. Barron
    3. Glenn
    4. Adams
    5. Still
    6. Kirkpatrick
    7. Martin
    8. Mercilus
    9. Perry
    10. Randle
    11. Konz
    12. Jenkins
    13. Hightower
    14. Branch
    15. Worthy

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : thanks for the post. we differ around jenkins. here's my thinking. how many years do you think it will be before we agin get a chance to draft a potential shut down corner from where the pats will be picking in the next several years? only way is a serious injury or a serious character question. here is jenkins. io think he should be priority ohne becasue of the opportunity my 2nd highest priority one of reyes, still, brockers next highest curry then big outside wr if we can add barron into all that, id love to upgrade safety, gotta have center/interior line ww replacement thats my priority order, not draft order necessarily,
    Posted by bredbru

I don't think we differ on Jenkins, so much as we disagree on the idea that BB would come out of this draft with (3) 1st rounders. 

Sections
Shortcuts