***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : BOOM! ...super sleeper...
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

Ha Ha! Nice call on Brooks, MB.  Let's hope they like him enough to draft him.  They need to come up with a few late-round picks one way or another...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Damn and at a very reasonable rate too. I thought for sure the Pats would give him a look. He seems like a very Pats type of player that could of help in the secondary. I'm really confused to their plan with regards to FA right now
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

agreed re marshall. to be hnest they seem rather dysfunctional. i had that same sense watching their draft room (despite the intelligence in the room, at the time i thought it seemed a bit dysfunctional).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I think the Pats are going to do what they usually do, focus on re-signing their key players and adding some depth here and there with no big name splashes.  There is no way that I think they bring in Wallace and pay him more than Welker. 

We all think we have a lot of holes, other teams probably wish they were as lucky.  But, we were 13-3 and came 1 play short of winning the SB.  I think our top 6 draft picks, assuming we use them all, will be adequate to keep us on top in the AFC.  I don't see BAL or PIT challenging us. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I like Pead and Wolfe.  Glad the Pats are kicking their tires.

Joe Reedy, who covers the Bengals for the Cincinnati Enquirer, tweeted today that the Patriots worked out University of Cincinnati draft prospects Isaiah Pead, Adrien Robinson and Derek Wolfe on Wednesday.

This is part of the Patriots' standard operating procedure leading into the draft (these types of workouts are happening almost daily), and when they become public, they are used as a springboard to learn more about each prospect.

RB Isaiah Pead -- Viewed as a mid-round pick by some analysts, he is one of the faster players in the draft and could be a factor in the return game. At 5-foot-10, 197 pounds, he's considered a complementary back. Seemed to help his stock at the Senior Bowl.

TE Adrien Robinson -- The 6-foot-4, 264-pound tight end opened some eyes at Cincinnati's Pro Day earlier this month with a strong workout. A first-year statrer in 2011, he was not invited to the NFL combine. Robinson didn't have big production over his college career (29 receptions for 434 yards, 5 TDs), but his athleticism is getting him noticed.

DL Derek Wolfe -- The Big East co-defensive player of the year, the 6-foot-5, 295-pound defensive lineman would project to a defensive tackle spot in a four-man line, or end in a three-man front. At the combine, he described himself as a "relentless pass rusher." Wolfe, who is projected to be a mid-round pick by analysts, had 9.5 sacks in 2011. He played in 45 games (38 starts) over the last four seasons for the Bearcats.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

RB Isaiah Pead -- Viewed as a mid-round pick by some analysts, he is one of the faster players in the draft and could be a factor in the return game. At 5-foot-10, 197 pounds, he's considered a complementary back. Seemed to help his stock at the Senior Bowl.

just what we need another complimentary back...

hope they have something brilliant in mind in this offseason.

the thinking has not been there in some areas over the last several (while smart decisions were made iin some areas).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Glad they brought in Wolfe. Now that they have a run stuffing LE in Panene I think they target an edge rushing RE (ala the Ty, Wilfork, Seymour line). Wolfe has the build, speed, production, and tools to be a edge rushing DE and could be had at #63.

I'm now convinced they will take a DT/DE type in this draft. Every year they target a starting position in FA and dbl it up in the draft and this year I'm sure it's on the DL. The only question I have is will it be with #27, #63, or #94?

BTW with the incredible lack of depth at S, I'm also convinced McCourty or Moore are moving to FS. Other then Iloka and Martin I don't see a FS in this draft that won't be a conversion CB. McCourty and Moore have already played that role and succeeded but many others don't so I don't see a conversion type succeeding immediately and being the starter. Smith and Barron are options but I see them more as Chung types of players, and even though Chung is decent in coverage you wouldn't want him in the deep part of the field on every play

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]Nick Toon!!! He will be a great 2nd-3rd round pick
    Posted by ricky12684[/QUOTE]
    I agree, Toon, Randle, McNutt, any of those big possession WR types in the 2-3 round. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]I like Pead and Wolfe.  Glad the Pats are kicking their tires. By Mike Reiss Joe Reedy, who covers the Bengals for the Cincinnati Enquirer, tweeted today that the Patriots worked out University of Cincinnati draft prospects Isaiah Pead, Adrien Robinson and Derek Wolfe on Wednesday. This is part of the Patriots' standard operating procedure leading into the draft (these types of workouts are happening almost daily), and when they become public, they are used as a springboard to learn more about each prospect. RB Isaiah Pead -- Viewed as a mid-round pick by some analysts, he is one of the faster players in the draft and could be a factor in the return game. At 5-foot-10, 197 pounds, he's considered a complementary back. Seemed to help his stock at the Senior Bowl. TE Adrien Robinson -- The 6-foot-4, 264-pound tight end opened some eyes at Cincinnati's Pro Day earlier this month with a strong workout. A first-year statrer in 2011, he was not invited to the NFL combine. Robinson didn't have big production over his college career (29 receptions for 434 yards, 5 TDs), but his athleticism is getting him noticed. DL Derek Wolfe -- The Big East co-defensive player of the year, the 6-foot-5, 295-pound defensive lineman would project to a defensive tackle spot in a four-man line, or end in a three-man front. At the combine, he described himself as a "relentless pass rusher." Wolfe, who is projected to be a mid-round pick by analysts, had 9.5 sacks in 2011. He played in 45 games (38 starts) over the last four seasons for the Bearcats.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

I see the allure with Wolfe/Robinson, but Pead (who I'm sure they're performing due diligence on) seems awfully redundant.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]RB Isaiah Pead -- Viewed as a mid-round pick by some analysts, he is one of the faster players in the draft and could be a factor in the return game. At 5-foot-10, 197 pounds, he's considered a complementary back. Seemed to help his stock at the Senior Bowl. just what we need another complimentary back... hope they have something brilliant in mind in this offseason. the thinking has not been there in some areas over the last several (while smart decisions were made iin some areas).
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]
    It's all about RB by Committee for the Pats now.  It's a passing league and as long as we have Brady, we will always pass first.  But if we lose Benny and don't sign a decent replacement, we could see some pretty good backs slipping to the 48/63 range.  We could have one of Martin, Wilson or Miller.  I actually think Pead could be the 5th back taken which probably means gone by mid 3rd.  I have Pead and LaMichael James about even on my board.  I think SD could target James in the 3rd.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Glad they brought in Wolfe. Now that they have a run stuffing LE in Panene I think they target an edge rushing RE (ala the Ty, Wilfork, Seymour line). Wolfe has the build, speed, production, and tools to be a edge rushing DE and could be had at #63. I'm now convinced they will take a DT/DE type in this draft. Every year they target a starting position in FA and dbl it up in the draft and this year I'm sure it's on the DL. The only question I have is will it be with #27, #63, or #94? BTW with the incredible lack of depth at S, I'm also convinced McCourty or Moore are moving to FS. Other then Iloka and Martin I don't see a FS in this draft that won't be a conversion CB. McCourty and Moore have already played that role and succeeded but many others don't so I don't see a conversion type succeeding immediately and being the starter. Smith and Barron are options but I see them more as Chung types of players, and even though Chung is decent in coverage you wouldn't want him in the deep part of the field on every play

I think people get too caught up in the FS vs. SS designation, bottom line is both Barron and Smith can cover, play in the deep half/third etc.  They're also the two best tackling S's in this class.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I see the allure with Wolfe/Robinson, but Pead (who I'm sure they're performing due diligence on) seems awfully redundant.
    I agree.  I think we have Woody and Vereen as change of pace backs.  I'd think we'd want a bigger back who can catch, Wilson, Miller or Martin if going high.  If getting a later pick there are a ton of options.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Does anyone know if the CBA rules changed regarding retirement?  I saw a comment that if Light retired, the team would save all $8MM of his cap figure but if cut, just $5MM.  This would be a big difference.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Raiders just cut long time starting RG Cooper Carlisle

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

The Patriots are scheduled to host free-agent receiver Anthony Gonzalez on a visit, the Boston Herald reports.

Gonzalez was a first-round draft choice of the Colts in 2007 (32nd overall) out of Ohio State. He has been limited to 11 games (5 receptions) over the last three seasons, primarily because of injuries.

When the 6-foot-0, 193-pound Gonzalez was coming out of the draft, he was viewed as one of the top slot receivers.

He played in 13 games in his first season with the Colts, totaling 37 receptions for 576 yards and 3 touchdowns. His best season came in 2008 when he played in all 16 games and had 57 catches for 664 yards and 4 touchdowns.

Gonzalez could be viewed by the team as a low-cost, low-risk fallback option at Wes Welker's position (given the unpredictable nature of contract talks). The Patriots also have Julian Edelman, who like Gonzalez had 37 receptions in his rookie season, at that position.

Gonzalez is represented by agent Neil Cornrich, and at the least, this reported visit helps Cornrich put his client on the NFL free-agent radar after three years in which his career has dipped. The Patriots and Cornrich have long had a good working relationship.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I think people get too caught up in the FS vs. SS designation, bottom line is both Barron and Smith can cover, play in the deep half/third etc.  They're also the two best tackling S's in this class.

I use to think that but the more I think about what the league is turning into the more I see the FS turning into an extra CB rather then into the more traditionally S role. Showing ability in coverage (ala Chung, Smith, Barron) isn't enough anymore, given the quicker more agile TE's and the slot WR's who are quickly becoming the #1/2 WR's on teams rather then an extra WR they toss in during 3 WR sets. Looking at the FS position you see a lot of the league turing towards guys 5-10 years ago would have been considered slot CB's and very good nickel CB's while FS use to be the smaller, faster versions of SS (Chung types) and SS's were small LB's who played in the box. The modern NFL feels more like you need your SS to be a general S that can load the box or cover on occasion while you load the field with CB's and have one play deeper in the old FS position. Given that I think you'll see more people turning to a Dennard and converting them to a hybrid FS/CB player and using Barron/Smith in the general S role then you will see Barron/Smith in the FS coverage slot with a larger S almost lined up as a deep LB (ala Rodney)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Okay, I've updated the current depth chart showing the 51 top contracts used to determine our 2012 cap as it stands today.  I was surprised to see that we have 3 immediate needs for starters on offense unless we want to count Ocho and Wendell, which I certainly don't.  I don't see how we don't address C and WR in free agency.  It has to happen even if we bring Branch back.

Current 51 Top Salaries 2012
    OFFENSE 25 Players
    Slot31 W Welker '1226 Edelman '12 
    WR 27 M Slater '1426 B. Davis
    LOT33 M Light '1223 N Solder '15 
    LG31 Mankins '16  
    C 26 Wendell '1325 N. McDonald
    ROG35 Brian Waters27 D Thomas '12 
    RT27 Vollmer '1224 M. Cannon '1425 M Kopa
    TE23 Gronkowski '1322 Hernandez '13 
    QB35 Tom Brady '1426 Hoyer '1224 Mallett '14
    RB23 S. Veeren '1426 Woodhead '12 
    23 S. Ridley '1430 L Polite '12 

WR 34 Ochocinco '1326 Underwood 

DEFENSE 23 Players
    DE 30 J Fanene '1426 Pryor '13 
    NT30 Wilfork '1425 R. Brace '12 
    DE25 Deaderick '1326 Love '12 
    OLB24 Cunningham '13  
    ILB26 Mayo '1625 Fletcher '12 24 J Tarpinian
    ILB25 B Spikes '1331 T White '14
    31 Koutouvides
    OLB29 Ninkovich '13  
    LCB23 Dowling '1423 S Moore '1222 M Williams
    RCB26 McCourty '1426 Arrington '12 
    SS25 Chung '1227 J Barrett '12 
    FS24 S Brown '1324 R Ventrone '12 

SPECIAL TEAMS 3
    PK28 Gostkowski '14PUP/IRPS
    P25 Z. Mesko '13  
    LS24 D Aiken  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I use to think that but the more I think about what the league is turning into the more I see the FS turning into an extra CB rather then into the more traditionally S role. Showing ability in coverage (ala Chung, Smith, Barron) isn't enough anymore, given the quicker more agile TE's and the slot WR's who are quickly becoming the #1/2 WR's on teams rather then an extra WR they toss in during 3 WR sets. Looking at the FS position you see a lot of the league turing towards guys 5-10 years ago would have been considered slot CB's and very good nickel CB's while FS use to be the smaller, faster versions of SS (Chung types) and SS's were small LB's who played in the box. The modern NFL feels more like you need your SS to be a general S that can load the box or cover on occasion while you load the field with CB's and have one play deeper in the old FS position. Given that I think you'll see more people turning to a Dennard and converting them to a hybrid FS/CB player and using Barron/Smith in the general S role then you will see Barron/Smith in the FS coverage slot with a larger S almost lined up as a deep LB (ala Rodney)

I just don't see a slot/nickel CB turned S providing any better coverage on the bigger, more athletic flex TE's than a big athletic S... this is why I actually think players like Barron/Smith, who have good size, make sense in this department.  I also think that BB has historically preferred versatile "interchangeable" safeties that can both be used all over the field.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I just don't see a slot/nickel CB turned S providing any better coverage on the bigger, more athletic flex TE's than a big athletic S... this is why I actually think players like Barron/Smith, who have good size, make sense in this department.  I also think that BB has historically preferred versatile "interchangeable" safeties that can both be used all over the field.  
    BB certainly agrees with you Mb.  Look at Barrett and Brown, both 6-2 as was Rodney.  La'Ron Landry is a 6 footer too.  BB keeps looking for the next Rodney Harrison.   

It isn't just about covering the TEs, with all the tall receivers, you need a tall S to help out.  I also agree BB interchanges them. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

With all the new rules protecting the WR and the new shrimp converted CB FS's. Won't that make these WR's softer than ever and more affraid of seeing a guy like Landry back there at FS. More prone to mental mistakes against our team.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]I think the Pats are going to do what they usually do, focus on re-signing their key players and adding some depth here and there with no big name splashes.  There is no way that I think they bring in Wallace and pay him more than Welker.  We all think we have a lot of holes, other teams probably wish they were as lucky.  But, we were 13-3 and came 1 play short of winning the SB.  I think our top 6 draft picks, assuming we use them all, will be adequate to keep us on top in the AFC.  I don't see BAL or PIT challenging us. 
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

Don't you just love how we were 3 plays short of having 6 Super Bowl's and 2 missed FG's away from having 1?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

bump....wake up everyone and come back out and play ball..

newest 4 round hopes? version a,b, and c?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Well it is hard to make mock drafts before all the FA's are accounted for. At this point our two signings have really only replaced Carter (who I want back) in Fanene and guys we never replaced last year Merriweather/Sanders in Gregory.

Tell me when we get Lloyd, Langford, Bush, Landry and Wimberly as well as bring back Carter and Anderson and then we can talk a mock draft with

Konz at 27

A CB somewhere (or lose 31 getting restricted FA Webb)

A DE/DT later on (Wolfe/Winn)

A 4-3 LB'er

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]Well it is hard to make mock drafts before all the FA's are accounted for. At this point our two signings have really only replaced Carter (who I want back) in Fanene and guys we never replaced last year Merriweather/Sanders in Gregory. Tell me when we get Lloyd, Langford, Bush, Landry and Wimberly as well as bring back Carter and Anderson and then we can talk a mock draft with Konz at 27 A CB somewhere (or lose 31 getting restricted FA Webb) A DE/DT later on (Wolfe/Winn) A 4-3 LB'er
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

had to laugh at i imagine your jest about ALL THOSE FA. bb?
    seems your mock has changed dramatically., espec. at the top.
    you dont want a rb in fa, draft or udfa?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

haha, yeah there is no chance that many free agents come here

Bush as in Michael Bush is my RB choice, I don't think he has signed anywhere yet but he'd be a good hammer to complement speed guy Ridley and the shifty Woodhead

Sections
Shortcuts