***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!:
    [QUOTE]haha, yeah there is no chance that many free agents come here Bush as in Michael Bush is my RB choice, I don't think he has signed anywhere yet but he'd be a good hammer to complement speed guy Ridley and the shifty Woodhead
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

i agree on bush, i argued for releasing bjge (this offseason) early in the year to only laughs here on the board. i saw bush up there and some other mid-range guys and udfa as places to pcik up rbs.

love reading your posts

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

ourlads, one of the professional sites has ingram at 27 (one player i was considering and someone eng thinks will never make it down to our range) and baron to us at 31.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Thanks man, you too

I wonder how Nelson's visit with the Jets is going? I heard it will continue into tomorrow. He's a much healthier option than Landry obviously and better in coverage but he prob wants Goldson type money and we already spent almost all the money wed use at safety on Gregory.

If we just got Bush and Lloyd and kept Carter/Anderson I'd feel comfortable that we could fill the holes on D and O-line thru the draft as long as BB doesn't trade picks into the future.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

do you really think anderson will go check offers ie miami, and coome back and play for less wiht us?

get wimbley, AND maybe bush or lloyd (only 1 yr guaranteed, and not much $).

yeah nelson seems out of range.

what do you think of gregory. did we pay too much? same with fanene?
    both maybe not as good a player as we need at maybe a mil more per year than ideal?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

With Gregory they may have paid right at the market rate or slightly above but they value him for this club. In my opinion they basically replaced Edelman's role back there with a hard-working smart nickel/dime guy who can play all over the field, ST's, and, you know, is actually a defensive back.

I remember thinking he was REAL fast at Syracuse, prob lost a bit since then (and they still need at least 1 more safety) but a solid move that upgrades that unit. In all honesty I watched every Charger game since he got there but prob just thought any white safety making a tackle was Eric Weddle so I never paid any attention to him, haha.

Try to get Landry for a 1 year deal with incentives and if you can't then keep Ihedigbo (who replaced Sanders role) and you can always draft a safety like George Iloka, Harrison Smith or Markelle Martin. Or maybe with another CB added (still love the Webb idea) you have Moore and McCourty able to play FS in a pinch and don't have to worry about it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

and I'd hope Anderson's agent has the curtesy to call us with Miami's offer if he is close to taking it and what it will take from the Pats for Mark to decline... but if he doesn't then a full-court press on Wimbley would be welcomed.

I just don't see BB going for a Mercilus, Branch or Curry in the draft. Otherwise guys I loved like Houston, Barwin and Brooks Reed would be Patriots.

Whats the deal with Anthony Spencer? He sign anywhere? Seems like he and Wimbley can command the same type of contract.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]With Gregory they may have paid right at the market rate or slightly above but they value him for this club. In my opinion they basically replaced Edelman's role back there with a hard-working smart nickel/dime guy who can play all over the field, ST's, and, you know, is actually a defensive back. I remember thinking he was REAL fast at Syracuse, prob lost a bit since then (and they still need at least 1 more safety) but a solid move that upgrades that unit. In all honesty I watched every Charger game since he got there but prob just thought any white safety making a tackle was Eric Weddle so I never paid any attention to him, haha. Try to get Landry for a 1 year deal with incentives and if you can't then keep Ihedigbo (who replaced Sanders role) and you can always draft a safety like George Iloka, Harrison Smith or Markelle Martin. Or maybe with another CB added (still love the Webb idea) you have Moore and McCourty able to play FS in a pinch and don't have to worry about it.

"but prob just thought any white safety making a tackle was Eric Weddle so I never paid any attention to him, haha."

funny...

"you can always draft a safety like George Iloka, Harrison Smith or Markelle Martin"

you bet we will have to.

just dont know weve made the smartest moves so far. moves yes.

i dont think our brain trust is big enough or the thoughts arent getting all the way to the top.

you think they could commit to mccourty at safety at this point. i Think that here would have to be a backup plan.

and landry, he hcant really cover, jsu tlay the wood. a lot to pay to split half the year with chung.

if wed only stayed with our picks at the top the last few years, maybe wed have less needs by now and wouldnt need fs, cb, dt, de/olb, wr, slot, te, interior off line and rb. if we had a few more areas nailed down we could have done well in rd 1 and 2 this year.

hope we at least try to satisfy the urgent needs (even with lesser players) freeing us up to land what we want moreso in the draft.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

SPENCER WAS TAGGED ON THE 5TH I BELIEVE

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

What's the deal with Nick Perry?  His stock has been dropping alot lately.  Wasn't he once seen as a top 15 talent?  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]SPENCER WAS TAGGED ON THE 5TH I BELIEVE
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

Ah, no wonder I hadn't heard his name in forever, thanks

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]What's the deal with Nick Perry?  His stock has been dropping alot lately.  Wasn't he once seen as a top 15 talent?  
    Posted by Army2LT[/QUOTE]

He seems to be in there with Mercilus, Branch and Curry as your typical hybrid that everyone wants BB to draft thinking he will bean edge rush stud and Bill never goes in that direction.

Of those 4 guys I'm sure 1 will flame out, 2 will be solid but nothing special and 1 will be a 10+ sack star. Just glad I'm not the guy trying to decide who will be what b/c getting it wrong can crush a franchise.

Maybe that is why BB strays from those type of guys

Of course when you have two 2nd rd picks back to back and the best NT in the game and you draft Brce over Barwin... or when you have two 2nd rd picks and constantly trade down avoiding guys like Akeem Ayers, Brooks Reed and Justin Houston (in favor of Ras-I and Vareen) it'll drive you nuts

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

Another guy who seems to be dropping is DT Devon Still.  Still has both the height (6'5") and wieght (303lbs) that BB likes and he is also a Senior, another thing that BB seems to favor.  

If he is available in the 20-22 area, would BB pull the trigger and trade up for him?  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from speedster81. Show speedster81's posts

[QUOTE]Another guy who seems to be dropping is DT Devon Still.  Still has both the height (6'5") and wieght (303lbs) that BB likes and he is also a Senior, another thing that BB seems to favor.   If he is available in the 20-22 area, would BB pull the trigger and trade up for him?  

I really like Still. The major knock on him is that he finished the season badly. He had some unimpresive showings against Ohio State and Wisconsin. However, I really like the majority of what he has shown. Im hoping he drops to 27 so we dont have to trade up for him. In my opinion, he brings a pass rush element to our D Tackle group that we just dont have. Complementing him with Marcus Forston in the late 3rd round could give us a really good pass rushing tackle group when you factor in Pryor and Fanene.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : He seems to be in there with Mercilus, Branch and Curry as your typical hybrid that everyone wants BB to draft thinking he will bean edge rush stud and Bill never goes in that direction. Of those 4 guys I'm sure 1 will flame out, 2 will be solid but nothing special and 1 will be a 10+ sack star. Just glad I'm not the guy trying to decide who will be what b/c getting it wrong can crush a franchise. Maybe that is why BB strays from those type of guys Of course when you have two 2nd rd picks back to back and the best NT in the game and you draft Brce over Barwin... or when you have two 2nd rd picks and constantly trade down avoiding guys like Akeem Ayers, Brooks Reed and Justin Houston (in favor of Ras-I and Vareen) it'll drive you nuts

you mean it'll drive US nuts :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]Another guy who seems to be dropping is DT Devon Still.  Still has both the height (6'5") and wieght (303lbs) that BB likes and he is also a Senior, another thing that BB seems to favor.   If he is available in the 20-22 area, would BB pull the trigger and trade up for him?  

with bb who knowsif he would, but if the guy i target to be my picks (both picks) in the first round, i would definitly be as flexible to move up a little as down a little to get him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I really like Still. The major knock on him is that he finished the season badly. He had some unimpresive showings against Ohio State and Wisconsin. However, I really like the majority of what he has shown. Im hoping he drops to 27 so we dont have to trade up for him. In my opinion, he brings a pass rush element to our D Tackle group that we just dont have. Complementing him with Marcus Forston in the late 3rd round could give us a really good pass rushing tackle group when you factor in Pryor and Fanene.
    Posted by speedster81[/QUOTE]

ive liked still from the start. reyes however is another penetrator.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Sportsman. Show 4Sportsman's posts

Anybody willing to trade #63 for Steven Jackson? STL has a lot of picks, and probably wants to go young all at once.  Let BJGE go, convince Jax to renegotiate ala Moss in '07.

Pros
    Opportunity to chase a ring.
    Familiarity with Josh McD
    Big back, excellent in passing game.
    Would stay fresh in rotation w/Ridley,Vereen,Woody.
    Belichick traded for Dillon at a similar stage in career

Cons
    Too many miles?
    Not sure of contract status, or if he desires a ring

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skadude22. Show Skadude22's posts

My guess is no, he doesn't seem like the type of guy that would trade up to get someone unless he feels that player is an absolute steal at the spot he would be picking.  Still at 22 doesn't stand out to me as a guy that you couldn't turn down.  If it were the second round and he was still there, maybe, but if Still gets picked before 27, that means someone else will be there at 27, and I'm sure they will pick there.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Pats appear to be close to a deal with Brandon Lloyd Christmas.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/17/report-patriots-brandon-lloyd-close-to-a-deal/

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

[QUOTE]Anybody willing to trade #63 for Steven Jackson? STL has a lot of picks, and probably wants to go young all at once.  Let BJGE go, convince Jax to renegotiate ala Moss in '07. Pros Opportunity to chase a ring. Familiarity with Josh McD Big back, excellent in passing game. Would stay fresh in rotation w/Ridley,Vereen,Woody. Belichick traded for Dillon at a similar stage in career Cons Too many miles? Not sure of contract status, or if he desires a ring
    Posted by 4Sportsman[/QUOTE]

I would make that trade in a heartbeat.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from paularnold. Show paularnold's posts

I think I'm all set trading for any running back who turns 29 before the season and who has 2500 touches in his career.  His numbers haven't taken a sharp downturn yet, but how long can he go before they do.  I think SJ has been a great running back, but to trade a second round pick for a guy who you know the wheels are going to fall off on in a year or two is not smart.

In looking at a few mock drafts the names that may be around at that pick are Alameda Ta'amu, Alshon Jeffery, Brandon Boykin, Shea Mcclellin, Keleche Osemele, Ben Jones, Marvin Jones, Dwayne Allen, Harrison Smith, and Joe Adams.  I'm not trying to say that all these guys would be a fit, but just that I'd rather take a shot at one of these guys becoming a legitimate long term starter than to take a guy who could give you one or two good seasons.  These one or two seasons are not even a guarantee. 

Also, SJax would count 9.6mil against the cap for each of the next two seasons.  I wouldn't give him a 2 year/ 19 million guaranteed contract right now if he was a free agent, let alone throwing a second round pick in there to get him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Well with the Patriots signing a few different parts I'm starting to get a feel for this draft,if they could move up to snag Clayborne I would be elated! They are presently moving in a direction that would indicate they are just the one positional player away from being ready to blast everyone out of the water, shutdown corner provided they sign Landry,Lloyd,Anderson,Carter,BJGE,and convince Waters to come back for one more run,then I see the only need as the CB who just says no!No you ain't catching a damn pass on my side of the field...They could try and snake Ladarius Webb away from the Ravens,or draft the top DB in the draft by moving up,in either case this is where the biggest need will be come draft day.So guys even though we've all spent numerous hours trying too play Assistant BB,it comes down to one position and some filler to groom for the future.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Sounds like Lloyd is going to get done, Landry perhaps too on a prove it contract.  But, we have to go all in to get Wimbley, even if it means we cut Light.

Wimbley is a weakside OLB with 63 tackles, 7 sacks, 21½ quarterback knockdowns, 9½ hurries and an INT last year.  At 6-4, 255 and just 28, Wimbley would be perfect for us.  If we got him, we'd have a defense again.

We could save over $3.2MM by cutting Barrett, Ocho and Donald Thomas.  We need to get Wimbley!!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to "Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!": [QUOTE]Sounds like Lloyd is going to get done, Landry perhaps too on a prove it contract.  But, we have to go all in to get Wimbley, even if it means we cut Light. Wimbley is a weakside OLB with 63 tackles, 7 sacks, 21½ quarterback knockdowns, 9½ hurries and an INT last year.  At 6-4, 255 and just 28, Wimbley would be perfect for us.  If we got him, we'd have a defense again. We could save over $3.2MM by cutting Barrett, Ocho and Donald Thomas.  We need to get Wimbley!!!! Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE] Amen faucet! I second this. Wimbley would be a big addition to this defense. It would also relieve some pressure to take a chance ona hybrid in the draft. Money is going to be tight. I would release light, but I would have to feel comfortable to know vollmer can stay healthy and cannon can backup up vollmer if needed. If this is the case, I do it. Cut Ocho and Barrett's well. That should give us enough to do it. I would rather have Wimbley over anderson, and draft a kid like curry to replace Anderson for less cost. Has anyone seen anything indicating pats interest in Wimbley? As for still...I think he will be there at 27if we want him. I am torn on he or Reyes. Something tells me Reyes will be the better pro long term.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!": Amen faucet! I second this. Wimbley would be a big addition to this defense. It would also relieve some pressure to take a chance ona hybrid in the draft. Money is going to be tight. I would release light, but I would have to feel comfortable to know vollmer can stay healthy and cannon can backup up vollmer if needed. If this is the case, I do it. Cut Ocho and Barrett's well. That should give us enough to do it. I would rather have Wimbley over anderson, and draft a kid like curry to replace Anderson for less cost. Has anyone seen anything indicating pats interest in Wimbley? As for still...I think he will be there at 27if we want him. I am torn on he or Reyes. Something tells me Reyes will be the better pro long term.
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

would rather have Wimbley over anderson, and draft a kid like curry to replace Anderson for less cost.

ditto

Has anyone seen anything indicating pats interest in Wimbley?

nope

As for still...I think he will be there at 27if we want him. I am torn on he or Reyes.

ditto

Sections
Shortcuts