***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!:
    In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I also think that TE Coby Fleener will sneak in ahead of us in Rd 1. So that's potentially 8 players that we wouldn't need in the first place.  A few big names are going to fall through the cracks.   Here are the names without a question are out of reach of #27- In no particular order. 1. Luck 2. Griffin 3. Tannehill 4. Floyd 5. Blackmon  6. Coples 7. Wright 8. Fleener 9. Richardson 10. Kalil 11. Reiff 12. DeCastro 13. Ingram 14. Poe  15. Cox 16. Upshaw 17. Kuechly 18. Claiborne That leaves alot of other great players to chose from to include- 1. Brockers 2. Barron 3. Glenn 4. Adams 5. Still 6. Kirkpatrick 7. Martin 8. Mercilus 9. Perry 10. Randle 11. Konz 12. Jenkins 13. Hightower 14. Branch 15. Worthy
    Posted by Army2LT

Army,
    Assuming this is how the board plays out, I'd have Barron/Brockers as the two players that would interest BB the most.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : chris price adn buckley both dotn believe brady restructure is not about welker but about extending gronk and hern. i think thisis their hunch or they have inside info and dont want to say. this would be a dream fro me however. i said this all last year.
    Posted by bredbru

That theory also makes a ton of sense.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Yeah I was saying over and over that this time around don't wait until Gronk wants 6/100 and Hernandez wants 5/55..... get them for 7/70 and 7/45 right now. Most 23-27 year old athlete's, unless they are Scott Boras baseball clients, would trade $ 4-5-6 years down the road to have the rookie contracts they are locked into for 2-3 years doubled or tripled right away, esp in non-guaranteed football when injuries are more likely than if you are an outfielder.
    Posted by rameakap

Agreed, def think this is key.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Army, Assuming this is how the board plays out, I'd have Barron/Brockers as the two players that would interest BB the most.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

I would be happy with those two.  Brockers has Seymour size and would fill in nicely.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from I sat on your toilet. Show I sat on your toilet's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I would be happy with those two.  Brockers has Seymour size and would fill in nicely.  
    Posted by Army2LT

I would like that too! Only problem is I'd love Hightower in a Pats uniform as well. Does anyone think he could slip to #48 or would they have to move up for him if they took Brockers and Barron? Another alternative is Brockers and Hightower and then go Harrison Smith in rd2.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I would like that too! Only problem is I'd love Hightower in a Pats uniform as well. Does anyone think he could slip to #48 or would they have to move up for him if they took Brockers and Barron? Another alternative is Brockers and Hightower and then go Harrison Smith in rd2.
    Posted by I sat on your toilet

I don't see Hightower slipping to 48, too big and versatile.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Updated Depth Chart.  Not counting fringe players we are well over the 53 limit.  Mankins will start on PUP so don't have to count him.  Not counting Mankins, I have 56 players listed below.  3 of the 4 in gray I think will be gone.  We then will have 5 draft picks.  There is little chance we use the 2nd of our #1s.

Conventional wisdom is Light will retire, perhaps Waters too but I think Waters will probably stay and try to get a ring.  Assuming Light leaves and we cut the 4 in gray, we still have to cut 3 more to make way for the 5 draft picks.

If Hoyer can't be traded, I think he'll be cut, Ocho is another candidate as is Brown.  If Cunningham or Brace so much as catch a cold during camp, it would not surprise me to see them cut.

Unless we get Barron, I don't see a spot where a rookie could start for this team.  If we got Konz and Waters retires, he could potentially start moving Connolly back to RG.

Playing 34 OLB is such a demanding position, especially for a DE conversion type that I can't see any of them starting day 1.

I don't see a DT that is likely to be at 27 who could start right away.

All of our top receivers are over 30, so this remains a position of need for the draft.  Unless we use a high pick on a Randle, Hill or someone, it would be hard for any rookie WR to make a major impact.

RB is a position where I think it is somewhat open.  Ridley projects to be the starter with Woodhead and Vereen perhaps sharing 3rd down duty.

Wow, this team from top to bottom is pretty deep, I don't remember seeing 53 guys pre draft deeper than this group.  There is a lot of experience on here.

OFFENSE 28 Players
    Slot31 W Welker '1226 Edelman '12Gonzales '12
    WR31 B. Lloyd '1427 M Slater '14 
    LOT33 M Light '1223 N Solder '15 
    LG31 R Gallery '1231 Mankins '16 PUP 
    C30 D. Connolly '1426 Wendell '13 
    ROG35 B. Waters '1227 D Thomas '12 
    RT27 Vollmer '1224 M. Cannon '14 
    TE23 Gronkowski '1322 Hernandez '1328 D Fells '14
    QB35 Tom Brady '1426 Hoyer '1224 Mallett '14
    RB23 S. Veeren '1426 Woodhead '12 
    23 S. Ridley '1430 L Polite '12S Larson '13

WR33 Branch '1231 Stallworth '1234 Ochocinco

DEFENSE 25 Players
    DE 30 J Fanene '1426 Pryor '13 
    NT30 Wilfork '1425 R. Brace '12 
    DE25 Deaderick '1326 Love '12 
    OLB/DE28 T Scott '1224 Cunningham '13 
    ILB26 Mayo '1625 Fletcher '12 24 J Tarpinian
    ILB25 B Spikes '1331 T White '14
    31 Koutouvides
    OLB29 Ninkovich '13  
    LCB23 Dowling '1423 S Moore '1222 M Williams
    RCB26 McCourty '1426 Arrington '1234 W Allen '12
    SS25 Chung '1227 J Barrett '12 
    FS 29 S. Gregory '1424 S Brown '13

SPECIAL TEAMS 3
    PK28 Gostkowski '14  
    P25 Z. Mesko '13  
    LS24 D Aiken  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Pats just got their 4th RB, Spencer Larsen. 1st two rounds will be D and/or trade down city.
    Posted by teegee

Spencer is far from a lock to make the team and I certainly would not consider him our 4th RB.  He has 17 career carries for 62 yards, 3.6 average with no TDs.  He is probably a better receiver than runner with 14/127/1.  He's probably a special team guy or blocking back at best.

It would not shock me to see BB take a RB, even high depending how the draft unfolds.  If we are drafting to upgrade (which sounds obvious), RB and FS would appear to be the areas where a rookie could come in and get some playing time year 1.  But if we miss on Barron, I'm not sure Harrison Smith could start right away so that leaves RB for a rookie to make an impact. 

I don't see a CB who is going to start ahead of Dowling, McCourty or Arrington unless we have some injuries.  I don't see a WR starting ahead of Welker, Branch and Lloyd. 

Man this team is deep!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : That theory also makes a ton of sense.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

This doesn't make sense to me.  Both Gronk and Hern are signed through 2013.  A two year Welker deal, whether it is a deal or back-to-back tags would end by the end of 2013 so the money would be there for Hern and Gronk when the time comes. 

I don't think there are any big time F/A left is there?  Although it is reported that we are interested in oft-injured Luis Castillo.

Luis Castillo | DE Previous Team: San Diego    Exp: 7 years

Analysis:  The Boston Globe reported Monday that the New England Patriots hosted the former San Diego Chargers defensive end Saturday, citing a source. Castillo, who sat out the entire 2011 campaign after fracturing his leg in the first game of the season, was released by the Chargers after seven seasons. San Diego offered Castillo a contract, though, U-T San Diego reported.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I'm still holding out for Kuechly to drop to the Patriots but my back up draft choices (provided BB uses both of his first round picks) are the two cornhuskers Crick and Dennard. All of the signings in Free agency have me believing that this will be a defensive draft unless someone drops into their laps on the offensive side of the ball.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Spencer is far from a lock to make the team and I certainly would not consider him our 4th RB.  He has 17 career carries for 62 yards, 3.6 average with no TDs.  He is probably a better receiver than runner with 14/127/1.  He's probably a special team guy or blocking back at best. It would not shock me to see BB take a RB, even high depending how the draft unfolds.  If we are drafting to upgrade (which sounds obvious), RB and FS would appear to be the areas where a rookie could come in and get some playing time year 1.  But if we miss on Barron, I'm not sure Harrison Smith could start right away so that leaves RB for a rookie to make an impact.  I don't see a CB who is going to start ahead of Dowling, McCourty or Arrington unless we have some injuries.  I don't see a WR starting ahead of Welker, Branch and Lloyd.  Man this team is deep!!!
    Posted by Faucetman

I stand corrected, great analysis.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from I sat on your toilet. Show I sat on your toilet's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I don't see Hightower slipping to 48, too big and versatile.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

Thanks for the info. As much as I like Barron and call me crazy but if I could only pick 1 alabama player I would prefer Hightower. I think he's going to be a really good player

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I don't think we differ on Jenkins, so much as we disagree on the idea that BB would come out of this draft with (3) 1st rounders. 
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

makes sense. one of the dt's ie reyes could slip to rd 2, but i doubt to 48. so one idea is to move up inrd 2 to ensure something like reyes and curry in rd 2 (and if we had it, take a 3rd pick inrd 2 in a big wr). i have seen one reputable site have reyes in rd 3. seemed crazy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : This doesn't make sense to me.  Both Gronk and Hern are signed through 2013.  A two year Welker deal, whether it is a deal or back-to-back tags would end by the end of 2013 so the money would be there for Hern and Gronk when the time comes.  I don't think there are any big time F/A left is there?  Although it is reported that we are interested in oft-injured Luis Castillo. Luis Castillo | DE Previous Team: San Diego    Exp: 7 years Analysis:   The Boston Globe reported Monday that the New England Patriots hosted the former San Diego Chargers defensive end Saturday, citing a source. Castillo, who sat out the entire 2011 campaign after fracturing his leg in the first game of the season, was released by the Chargers after seven seasons. San Diego offered Castillo a contract, though, U-T San Diego reported.
    Posted by Faucetman

But the idea is to try and lock them with a long term, more cap friendly deal while they have no leverage... not saying it will happen, but it certainly makes sense to me.  I do think it applies more to Gronk than Hern as he's certain to command huge dollars if he can maintain his to date production.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Thanks for the info. As much as I like Barron and call me crazy but if I could only pick 1 alabama player I would prefer Hightower. I think he's going to be a really good player

i think hightower is gonoe before our pick

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Thanks for the info. As much as I like Barron and call me crazy but if I could only pick 1 alabama player I would prefer Hightower. I think he's going to be a really good player

I like both players a lot, but I have Barron tops on my board at this point, Hightower ranked 4th.  I'd love to have either or both!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! :...I don't think there are any big time F/A left is there?  Although it is reported that we are interested in oft-injured Luis Castillo. Luis Castillo | DE Previous Team: San Diego    Exp: 7 years Analysis:   The Boston Globe reported Monday that the New England Patriots hosted the former San Diego Chargers defensive end Saturday, citing a source. Castillo, who sat out the entire 2011 campaign after fracturing his leg in the first game of the season, was released by the Chargers after seven seasons. San Diego offered Castillo a contract, though, U-T San Diego reported.
    Posted by Faucetman

why does the pats waste roster spots on people like this? he showed skills early in his career, but when one of your team's big problems is staying healthy all year, why add another player who has shown an inability to be part of the solution?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Spencer is far from a lock to make the team and I certainly would not consider him our 4th RB.  He has 17 career carries for 62 yards, 3.6 average with no TDs.  He is probably a better receiver than runner with 14/127/1.  He's probably a special team guy or blocking back at best. It would not shock me to see BB take a RB, even high depending how the draft unfolds.  If we are drafting to upgrade (which sounds obvious), RB and FS would appear to be the areas where a rookie could come in and get some playing time year 1.  But if we miss on Barron, I'm not sure Harrison Smith could start right away so that leaves RB for a rookie to make an impact.  I don't see a CB who is going to start ahead of Dowling, McCourty or Arrington unless we have some injuries.  I don't see a WR starting ahead of Welker, Branch and Lloyd.  Man this team is deep!!!
    Posted by Faucetman

i dont see branch as a starter. depth only. i would not have had him  back. maybe a move as a backup to whether a rookie plays ealry this year.  i thin krookie wrs can play here i know its tough. i thinnk bb is as tough or tougher on rookie rbs as he is on almost every other postion.

5 weeks of anticipation.

do folks want/like a castillo move or not?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : makes sense. one of the dt's ie reyes could slip to rd 2, but i doubt to 48. so one idea is to move up inrd 2 to ensure something like reyes and curry in rd 2 (and if we had it, take a 3rd pick inrd 2 in a big wr). i have seen one reputable site have reyes in rd 3. seemed crazy.
    Posted by bredbru

Yeah, with the qty of mocks out there, you're bound to see some interesting projections (i.e. PFT has NE taking Brian Quick at 31). 

There's a pretty good chance that BB trades back into Rd 2 as he seems to do almost every year, so under that scenario, he could conceivably come away with (3) 2nd Rd players (Reyes/Curry, assuming they're still there and say Jayron Hosley etc.).  McClellin and Cam Johnson are the other two DE conversion types that interest me the most on Day 2.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Yeah, with the qty of mocks out there, you're bound to see some interesting projections (i.e. PFT has NE taking Brian Quick at 31).  There's a pretty good chance that BB trades back into Rd 2 as he seems to do almost every year, so in that scenario, he could conceivably come away with (3) 2nd Rd players (Reyes/Curry, assuming they're still there and say Jayron Hosley etc.).  McClellin and Cam Johnson are the other two DE conversion types that interest me the most on Day 2.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

good notes.
    i dont consider pft (florio) to be a reputable mock. id guess you wouldnt either :)

have a good day man.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : good notes. i dont consider pft (florio) to be a reputable mock. id guess you wouldnt either :) have a good day man.
    Posted by bredbru

Ha, believe it was Evan Silva's mock.

Thanks man, you too.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Yeah, with the qty of mocks out there, you're bound to see some interesting projections (i.e. PFT has NE taking Brian Quick at 31).  There's a pretty good chance that BB trades back into Rd 2 as he seems to do almost every year, so under that scenario, he could conceivably come away with (3) 2nd Rd players (Reyes/Curry, assuming they're still there and say Jayron Hosley etc.).  McClellin and Cam Johnson are the other two DE conversion types that interest me the most on Day 2.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

How mad would you be if BB traded away both 1st rounders?  There's about a 50% chance that he trades 1 for future picks, 25% chance he trades up with one, and a 25% chance he stays put with both.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

i got the bug today, so i thought i'd take a look at the youtube on the DTs who might play next to vw. i am guessing that poe, brockers and cox would be off the board when pas pick 27 or 31. remaining on the board would be...

still
    reyes
    thompson
    worthy

based on the youtube videos below, i think i am not leaning towards thompson as my fav of the four. i like the way his motor does not stop grinding its way for every foot to the opponent's backfield, and to the running lane. the knock on him on walterfootball is that he's not a pass rushing DT. that's not what i see on these videos. he's the DT i'd like the pats to take at 27 or 31, to play DE.

caveat: reyes' video is from 2010. he may be better than that now.

brandon thompson

brandon thompson vs. ga tech

brandon thompson vs va tech

brandon thompson vs nc state

jerell worthy

jerell worthy vs. georgia

jerell worthy vs. ohio st

devon still

devon still vs alabama

kendall reyes (2010)

kendall reyes vs. pitt

michael brockers

michael brockers vs. georgia

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

I think BB favors D-Linemen who can anchor over those who can penetrate.  This who come to mind are Still, Brockers, Reyes,  and Crick.

My money is on Cam Johnson in the 3rd.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I'm still holding out for Kuechly to drop to the Patriots but my back up draft choices (provided BB uses both of his first round picks) are the two cornhuskers Crick and Dennard. All of the signings in Free agency have me believing that this will be a defensive draft unless someone drops into their laps on the offensive side of the ball.
    Posted by sportsbozo1

sb,
    I think a lot depends on the base D that BB is looking to roll with next year.  If it's 43, then I think Crick has more value to them, if it's 34, I don't see him as a good fit as he's severely underweight (279 combine, 276 pro-day) for any position along a 34 front. 

Sections
Shortcuts