***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : would rather have Wimbley over anderson, and draft a kid like curry to replace Anderson for less cost. ditto Has anyone seen anything indicating pats interest in Wimbley? nope As for still...I think he will be there at 27if we want him. I am torn on he or Reyes. ditto
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]I haven't heard of any Patriots rumors connecting the two to each other,however the Pats did sign a Slot receiver today Anthony Gonzalez signed on the dotted line..You are right though he would be a nice replacement should Anderson take his skills elsewhere's.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Wow, Lloyd at 3/$12M... solid deal.

I don't have complaints about any move they've made so far.  Additionally, landing Fells (as their 3rd TE) and Landry (as a low risk/high reward) would only boost this FA class.

I also don't think their FA activity thus far will do much influencing when it comes to the draft as I don't think they were gonna touch a WR in Rd 1, though I could still see them targeting one as high as Rd 2, I think Rd 3-4 is the likely range.

Time to go get the BPA.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

[QUOTE]Anybody willing to trade #63 for Steven Jackson? STL has a lot of picks, and probably wants to go young all at once.  Let BJGE go, convince Jax to renegotiate ala Moss in '07. Pros Opportunity to chase a ring. Familiarity with Josh McD Big back, excellent in passing game. Would stay fresh in rotation w/Ridley,Vereen,Woody. Belichick traded for Dillon at a similar stage in career Cons Too many miles? Not sure of contract status, or if he desires a ring
    Posted by 4Sportsman[/QUOTE]

in a heart beat i would trade that for him! he still carries the rams and if his load was split he would last much longer in the league.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Adding Landry and Fells would certainly plug some holes heading into the draft.  Getting Wimbley would be the icing on the cake but we'd have to make some cap space to get Wimbly.  Not knowing what the cap numbers are for Connolly, White, or Scott, I put us at about $1MM under right now not counting any borrowing or veteran exceptions.  So to get Landry and Fells without making another move would probably take us to the top of the cap.

Wimbley was on a 5/48MM deal.  That's nearly $10MM a year, not sure how much of that was guaranteed but you have to figure he will be in hot demand for teams that were interested in Mario Williams.  It will likely take $7-8MM in cap room to get him.  Some team might overpay and that won't be the Pats.  Still it's fun to speculate the moves they'd need to make to do it.

They could free up over half of it by cutting Barrett, Ocho, Thomas, Underwood and Brace.  These guys (except for maybe Brace) aren't likely to make the club anyway.  Light would probably also have to go either now or after the draft.  Hoyer would clear almost $2MM if we can trade him, if we can't, we could just release him.  Waters would clear $2.25MM but I'm hesitant to cut Light or Waters before the draft.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]Adding Landry and Fells would certainly plug some holes heading into the draft.  Getting Wimbley would be the icing on the cake but we'd have to make some cap space to get Wimbly.  Not knowing what the cap numbers are for Connolly, White, or Scott, I put us at about $1MM under right now not counting any borrowing or veteran exceptions.  So to get Landry and Fells without making another move would probably take us to the top of the cap. Wimbley was on a 5/48MM deal.  That's nearly $10MM a year, not sure how much of that was guaranteed but you have to figure he will be in hot demand for teams that were interested in Mario Williams.  It will likely take $7-8MM in cap room to get him.  Some team might overpay and that won't be the Pats.  Still it's fun to speculate the moves they'd need to make to do it. They could free up over half of it by cutting Barrett, Ocho, Thomas, Underwood and Brace.  These guys (except for maybe Brace) aren't likely to make the club anyway.  Light would probably also have to go either now or after the draft.  Hoyer would clear almost $2MM if we can trade him, if we can't, we could just release him.  Waters would clear $2.25MM but I'm hesitant to cut Light or Waters before the draft.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

You have been talking about cutting Barret for a while now and I have refrained from attempting to respond but you do realize that unless McCourtey moved to safety that Barret was your starting FS when healthy right?

If they signed Landry, no one knows what he would be as he hasn't been healthy for a couple years. Gregory is only speculated to potentially be a better fit at FS over SS. Others speculated that he's not very good in coverage and a better SS and ST(depth guy). Ihedigbo only started playing alot when Barrett went to IR. Barrett is also your fastest guy on the current roster in the back end as far as I know(4.35 40). Just sayin. Durabilty obviously is a big issue.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Has everyone already seen the Brandon Llyod Highlights video from his 2010 season with McD?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

After these moves and assuming we get Daniel Fells I view our draft needs, in no particular order as:

WR
    OG
    OLB
    FS
    CB
    RB
    DT

We are pretty much maxed out at 53 players now so for every player drafted, we'd need to make a roster move.  These are the moves that seem to make the most sense.  But of course we only have 6 picks at the moment but we knew an undrafted RFA will make the team, one does every year.

WR - cut 2 of 3 Ocho, Underwood, Gonzales
    OG - cut Daniel Thomas
    OLB - we have an open spot
    FS - cut 1 of Barrett or Brown, Barrett gives the most savings.
    CB - send Malcolm Williams back to the PS
    RB - cut Polite
    DT - cut Brace or Pryor

These draft picks and moves essentially wash out on the cap and should dramatically upgrade us.  I intentionally didn't touch Light or Waters as part of this figuring each could give us another year.

Now to match up draft picks to the above positions the most obvious place to start would be DT or CB but I would not rule out any position including WR or OG if the right guy is there at 27.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : You have been talking about cutting Barret for a while now and I have refrained from attempting to respond but you do realize that unless McCourtey moved to safety that Barret was your starting FS when healthy right? If they signed Landry, no one knows what he would be as he hasn't been healthy for a couple years. Gregory is only speculated to potentially be a better fit at FS over SS. Others speculated that he's not very good in coverage and a better SS and ST(depth guy). Ihedigbo only started playing alot when Barrett went to IR. Barrett is also your fastest guy on the current roster in the back end as far as I know(4.35 40). Just sayin. Durabilty obviously is a big issue.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]
    Yes I realize this but Barrett clears $1MM of cap where Brown clears $500K.  Neither player has wowed us by staying healthy so is the risk really any greater with Landry?  Even when Barrett was in there he wasn't affective.  I recall him getting burned and flagged early and often, especially week 1 against Buffalo.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

[QUOTE]After these moves and assuming we get Daniel Fells I view our draft needs, in no particular order as: WR OG OLB FS CB RB DT   We are pretty much maxed out at 53 players now so for every player drafted, we'd need to make a roster move.  These are the moves that seem to make the most sense.  But of course we only have 6 picks at the moment but we knew an undrafted RFA will make the team, one does every year. WR - cut 2 of 3 Ocho, Underwood, Gonzales OG - cut Daniel Thomas OLB - we have an open spot FS - cut 1 of Barrett or Brown, Barrett gives the most savings. CB - send Malcolm Williams back to the PS RB - cut Polite DT - cut Brace or Pryor These draft picks and moves essentially wash out on the cap and should dramatically upgrade us.  I intentionally didn't touch Light or Waters as part of this figuring each could give us another year. Now to match up draft picks to the above positions the most obvious place to start would be DT or CB but I would not rule out any position including WR or OG if the right guy is there at 27.

I would add C to that list. Connelly is only a stop-gap.

But now the main focus has to be on the D, where the talent level is not anywhere what we have on offense. I'm hoping for Konz together with 3 defensive players in the first 4 picks. I'd be surprised if BB goes WR or RB in the first 4 picks; he seems to place higher draft value on players who line up closer to the ball.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I would add C to that list. Connelly is only a stop-gap. But now the main focus has to be on the D, where the talent level is not anywhere what we have on offense. I'm hoping for Konz together with 3 defensive players in the first 4 picks. I'd be surprised if BB goes WR or RB in the first 4 picks; he seems to place higher draft value on players who line up closer to the ball.
    Posted by sml1210[/QUOTE]
    Fair points.  I'm actually thinking a RG who can kick inside to center, if needed, rather than the other way around.  Konz is a center who can play a little guard, but he gets knicked up a bit missing a couple of games a year.  Also, Konz would cost us pick 27 (assuming he makes it that far).  I actually prefer his teammate, Kevin Zielter.  Here's a natural RG (our bigger need, as Waters is far more of a stop gap than Connolly), who can kick in to play center.  If Zietler makes it to 48, which I doubt, he'd be a solid pick at that point.

As for going later in the draft for RBs and WRs, that is the conventional wisdom but I would not rule it out.  We have no idea if there is one of those guys who BB has rated higher who could fall to us somewhere in the top 63.  Lloyd seems like a nice signing but he's still 31 and Welker will be soon.  Ocho is over the hill so to get younger at WR should be a priority.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Fair points.  I'm actually thinking a RG who can kick inside to center, if needed, rather than the other way around.  Konz is a center who can play a little guard, but he gets knicked up a bit missing a couple of games a year.  Also, Konz would cost us pick 27 (assuming he makes it that far).  I actually prefer his teammate, Kevin Zielter.  Here's a natural RG (our bigger need, as Waters is far more of a stop gap than Connolly), who can kick in to play center.  If Zietler makes it to 48, which I doubt, he'd be a solid pick at that point. As for going later in the draft for RBs and WRs, that is the conventional wisdom but I would not rule it out.  We have no idea if there is one of those guys who BB has rated higher who could fall to us somewhere in the top 63.  Lloyd seems like a nice signing but he's still 31 and Welker will be soon.  Ocho is over the hill so to get younger at WR should be a priority.

Zietler would be a GREAT pickup at 48

Konz at 27 would move Connolly into a LG/C backup position I prefer him at. We did keep Wendell as well, although I'd like a more dominant o-line this year, despite good results last year we could be the best in the league if we:

- draft well (1-2 additions)
    - keep Light at a restructured deal
    - get nearly the same production from Waters
    - see Cannon improve a lot
    - have Vollmer healthy for an entire season

One of Ben Jones, Philip Blake and David Molk should be there when we pick at the end of rd 3. Blake can play guard as well and Molk had the best combine for C's despite being the smallest. I hope we go that route.

I put our current needs at:

3-4 DE who can get to the QB
    OLB who can combine w/ Scott to replace/better Anderson's 10 sacks
    CB who can return kicks
    WR who can return kicks or is 6'2"+ (if we get a CB who is a return guy)
    C
    OG/OT (depending on what Cannon is)
    S (either a ballhawk FS and we cut Barrett and keep Ihedigbo or a bigger guy like Barron/Smith or Landry and we don't keep Ihedigbo, either way Brown should be gone)
    blocking 3rd TE who can catch a pass a game (Fells?)

I am assuming we keep Benny

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Yes I realize this but Barrett clears $1MM of cap where Brown clears $500K.  Neither player has wowed us by staying healthy so is the risk really any greater with Landry?  Even when Barrett was in there he wasn't affective.  I recall him getting burned and flagged early and often, especially week 1 against Buffalo.

Seriously? Week 1? He's a first year safety "in the Patriots system" with NO OTA off season because of the strike and missed a bunch of training camp nursing a hamstring or something. You want to kill him about week 1 in that scenario?

I am just saying with all the need at safety, it seems odd for the guy to target to be your reigning starting FS. I'd start with the lower hanging fruit form that position or others. I get you are looking at it strictly from a money perspective but I would never mention he and Brown in the same breath from a talent perspective. Just my 2 cents. :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Have to say I can't see any way that the Pats don't trade back like usual in some form or fashion and pick up some more picks.

Also can't help but think a player like Ryan Broyles has the Pats name all over him as a value pick if he really does go in the 3rd-5th round like some have suggested.

A 1st round talent dropping that far because of returning from a knee injury sounds just like what the Pats would be into to me.

When I think of the Pats using a 3rd on Brandon Tte coming off a knee injury and Broyles being a far superior WR prospect I can't see how they wouldn't do it again.

Any other top players before injury coming out that fell off the radar?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]Adding Landry and Fells would certainly plug some holes heading into the draft.  Getting Wimbley would be the icing on the cake but we'd have to make some cap space to get Wimbly.  Not knowing what the cap numbers are for Connolly, White, or Scott, I put us at about $1MM under right now not counting any borrowing or veteran exceptions.  So to get Landry and Fells without making another move would probably take us to the top of the cap. Wimbley was on a 5/48MM deal.  That's nearly $10MM a year, not sure how much of that was guaranteed but you have to figure he will be in hot demand for teams that were interested in Mario Williams.  It will likely take $7-8MM in cap room to get him.  Some team might overpay and that won't be the Pats.  Still it's fun to speculate the moves they'd need to make to do it. They could free up over half of it by cutting Barrett, Ocho, Thomas, Underwood and Brace.  These guys (except for maybe Brace) aren't likely to make the club anyway.  Light would probably also have to go either now or after the draft.  Hoyer would clear almost $2MM if we can trade him, if we can't, we could just release him.  Waters would clear $2.25MM but I'm hesitant to cut Light or Waters before the draft.

faucet,
    with you mostly.
    id keep waters. see if light would restructure. i beleive you are allowed to go ove what is it 6 mil over teh cap?

plus i posted this yesterday as a thread afte lloyd signed
    (btw, i'm cool with lower round o lineman as long as scar picks them).

will catch up on todays readings late tonight.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

WIMBLEY in fa if we can get him, DEVON STILL at 27, KONZ at 31, huge outside receiver in the 2nd, maybe a fs also in the second

one of the great slot guys coming out in in the 3rd or 4th.
    the other pick more defense if we have picked up a 3rd te in fa, or if we plan to get a udfa te. a rb somewhere in fa, draft or more, likely udfa.

then we may have a team the giants cant stop nor sf, gb and n.o. (not to mention we wont have our achillies heel, obrian at o.c.

welker traded for a 1 or high 2nd (use the 9.4 mil to stretch the $) and the pick in the draft. if welker stays that's ok too, but id like to get the most for him now, than paying 21 mil over 2 years for a short yardage slot receiver with no length.

hoyer dangled for whatever we can get 2nd or 3rd.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]Have to say I can't see any way that the Pats don't trade back like usual in some form or fashion and pick up some more picks. Also can't help but think a player like Ryan Broyles has the Pats name all over him as a value pick if he really does go in the 3rd-5th round like some have suggested. A 1st round talent dropping that far because of returning from a knee injury sounds just like what the Pats would be into to me. When I think of the Pats using a 3rd on Brandon Tte coming off a knee injury and Broyles being a far superior WR prospect I can't see how they wouldn't do it again. Any other top players before injury coming out that fell off the radar?

since you cant be assured someone wont nab him before us in a lower round, would have to get your top wr target higher.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

My updated draft board:

Rd 1Rd 2 Keeping an eye on:
    S- Mark  BarronOG Kevin Zeitler DE/OLB- Vinny Curry
    DL- Fletcher CoxS- Harrison Smith DE/OLB-Whitney Mercilus
    OLB- Courtney UpshawWR- Rueben Randle CB- Chase Minnifield
    LB- Dont'a HightowerCB- Jayron Hosley CB- Leonard Johnson
    CB/S- Stephon GilmoreCB Brandon Boykin CB- Coryell Judie
    DL- Kendall ReyesCB-Josh Robinson S- Markelle Martin
    C- Peter KonzDE/OLB- Shea McClellin TE- Coby Fleener
    C- Ben Jones OT/OG- Jeff Allen
     OT/OG- Tony Bergstrom
     OT/OG- Brandon Washington
    Rd 3Rd 4 OT- Mitchell Schwartz
    DE/OLB- Cam JohnsonDL- Derek Wolfe OT- Zebrie Sanders
    WR- Marvin JonesCB- Shaun Prater OT- Brandon Mosley
    WR- Greg ChildsDE/OLB- Jake Bequette WR- Chris Givens
    S- George IlokaLB- Audie Cole WR- Alshon Jeffery
    DL- Alameda Ta'amuWR- Devon Wylie WR- Ryan Broyles
    CB- Casey HaywardOLB- Kyle Wilber WR- Mohamed Sanu
    OG- Joe LooneyWR- Marvin McNutt RB- Doug Martin
    WR- Joe AdamsDL- Josh Chapman DL- Billy Winn
    OG/OT- Senio KelemeteWR- Jarius Wright DL Mike Martin
    Rd's 5-URFA
    CB- Ron Brooks
    WR- Danny Coale
    DL- Kheeston Randall
    C/OG- Quentin Saulsberry
    DL- Markus Kuhn
    LB- Tank Carder
    OLB- Darius Fleming
    OLB- Vince Browne
    OLB- Manny Abreu
    DE/OLB- Brett Roy
    DL- Matt Conrath
    DL- Taylor Thompson
    DL- Dominique Hamilton
    DL- Ryan Van Bergen
    DL- Ethan Johnson
    DL- Jaye Howard
    S- Brandon Taylor
    S- Jerron McMillian
    S- Dequan Menzie
    CB/S- Robert Blanton
    CB/S- Donnie Fletcher
    CB- Asa Jackson
    CB- Coty Sensabaugh
    CB- Omar Bolden
    C- Phillip Blake
    OG/OT- Markus Zusevics
    OG/OT- Nate Potter
    OT/OG- Tom Compton
    OT- Andrew Datko
    OG- Adam Gettis
    TE- George Bryan
    TE- Chase Ford
    TE- Cory Harkey
    RB- Jonas Gray
    RB-  Robert Turbin
    WR- Marquis Maze
    WR- AJ Jenkins
    WR- TJ Graham
    WR- Kashif Moore
    WR- TY Hilton
    WR- Patrick Edwards   

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

Have to say I can't see any way that the Pats don't trade back like usual in some form or fashion and pick up some more picks. 

i agree that is what bb probably wants. the thing is i can't think of a team who would want to trade up to 27 or 31. i just don't think the talent in that range would be compelling enough to give up what it usually requires. at least i'd be surprised that anyone would be willing to give up next year's first for it. i do hope someone bites. 

Also can't help but think a player like Ryan Broyles has the Pats name all over him as a value pick if he really does go in the 3rd-5th round like some have suggested. A 1st round talent dropping that far because of returning from a knee injury sounds just like what the Pats would be into to me. When I think of the Pats using a 3rd on Brandon Tte coming off a knee injury and Broyles being a far superior WR prospect I can't see how they wouldn't do it again. 

i agree again. i really hope that teams forget about him. he got hurt in early november if i am not mistaken. teams are probably not going to want someone who can't be there for the off-season preps. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Seriously? Week 1? He's a first year safety "in the Patriots system" with NO OTA off season because of the strike and missed a bunch of training camp nursing a hamstring or something. You want to kill him about week 1 in that scenario? I am just saying with all the need at safety, it seems odd for the guy to target to be your reigning starting FS. I'd start with the lower hanging fruit form that position or others. I get you are looking at it strictly from a money perspective but I would never mention he and Brown in the same breath from a talent perspective. Just my 2 cents. :)
    Seriously Low.  Starting FS?  Are you joking???  He started 5 games in his NE career, all in 2011.  This was after we cut Meriweather and Sanders.  We lost 2 of those games.  He started 3 games for Denver in 2008. 

Here's his bio.  This is the guy you want to go to war with next season?

Season Reviews
    2011 (5/4)
    • Placed on injured reserve on Nov. 9, 2011 with a calf injury.
    • Played in a reserve role against the Giants in his return from injury, making two tackles and two special teams tackles (11/6).
    • Was inactive due to injury against the Jets (10/9), Cowboys (10/16) and Steelers (10/30).
    • Made one tackle and one special teams tackle in a start against the Raiders (10/2).
    • Made three tackles in a start against Buffalo (9/25).
    • Registered four tackles in a start against the Chargers (9/18).
    • Played and started his first game as a Patriot, making four solo tackles in Miami (9/12).

2010 (0/0)

• Placed on injured reserve on Aug. 31, 2010 with a shoulder injury.
    • Claimed off waivers by the Patriots on August 6, 2010 after being waived by Denver.

2009 (14/0- Denver)

• Played in 14 games and registered two solo tackles on defense and finished with eight special-teams stops.
    • Saw limited action as a backup on defense with the majority of his playing time on special teams.

2008 (6/3-Denver)

• Spent the first 11 week of his rookie season on the practice squad before being signed to the 53-man roster on Nov. 22.
    • Played in six games and started the final three games at safety.
    • Finished the season with 23 total tackles, one interception and four passes defensed.
    • Also registered five special teams tackles.
    I don't necessarily want to cut him, I want to upgrade him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Seriously Low.  Starting FS?  Are you joking???  He started 5 games in his NE career, all in 2011.  This was after we cut Meriweather and Sanders.  We lost 2 of those games.  He started 3 games for Denver in 2008.  Here's his bio.  This is the guy you want to go to war with next season? Season Reviews 2011 (5/4) Placed on injured reserve on Nov. 9, 2011 with a calf injury. Played in a reserve role against the Giants in his return from injury, making two tackles and two special teams tackles (11/6). Was inactive due to injury against the Jets (10/9), Cowboys (10/16) and Steelers (10/30). Made one tackle and one special teams tackle in a start against the Raiders (10/2). Made three tackles in a start against Buffalo (9/25). Registered four tackles in a start against the Chargers (9/18). Played and started his first game as a Patriot, making four solo tackles in Miami (9/12). 2010 (0/0) Placed on injured reserve on Aug. 31, 2010 with a shoulder injury. Claimed off waivers by the Patriots on August 6, 2010 after being waived by Denver. 2009 (14/0- Denver) Played in 14 games and registered two solo tackles on defense and finished with eight special-teams stops. Saw limited action as a backup on defense with the majority of his playing time on special teams. 2008 (6/3-Denver) Spent the first 11 week of his rookie season on the practice squad before being signed to the 53-man roster on Nov. 22. Played in six games and started the final three games at safety. Finished the season with 23 total tackles, one interception and four passes defensed. Also registered five special teams tackles. I don't necessarily want to cut him, I want to upgrade him.

Faucet what I am saying is he is the current starting FS. Not that he's some super FS starter. I wrote because you mention his name as someone to cut to clear cap to get a guy at another position, not safety. Like when you mention wimbley or something.

I am not arguing against having an upgrade but to cut your current starting FS when you don't have a replacement to make room for another position just never made sense to me. I mean they have no idea "if" they can land an upgrade.

You also have to keep in mind regardless of his past resume the Pats cut Meriweather and Sanders because they felt he was better than both of them or at a minimum just as good but less money. You do not do it otherwise. You certainly are not keeping a worse player "as the starter" to save a few bucks.

Cutting any of the safeties once you "know" you have an upgrade is fine but before? It wouldn't matter if they had signed Reggie Nelson. They would not know exactly what they had until they dealt with him in their system before they would start cutting guys.

Just take Ocho and Branch as an example. What if the Pats had signed Ocho and said ha we don't need Branch now and cut him. Then even though Ocho was great elsewhere he stunk in their system. Whoops! You typically do not operate that way. Risky.

Now i could see them cutting him at some point simply because he can't stay on the field. He's the safety version of Ras-I it seems.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Safety sleeper value?

"Defensive back Brandon Hardin, who missed the entire 2011 season after injuring his shoulder in August, ran 40 times as fast as 4.36 seconds after tipping the scales at 219 pounds.

Hardin's other marks included a 35.5 inch vertical jump, 10-4 broad jump and 24 reps on the bench. His short shuttle timed as fast as 4.03 seconds, while his three-cone came in at 6.8 seconds. Oregon State's starting cornerback in 2010, Hardin entered the season with a mid-round grade from NFL scouts. Most project the big defensive back to safety and after today's workout many believe he's kept the middle-round projection."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/tony_pauline/03/01/pro.days/index.html#ixzz1pX1MItnB

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Bruce Irvin pro day notes...

Stood on his combine numbers.

"Irvin was very explosive and looked good in ball drills. That's important, as he was primarily used as a pass rusher at West Virginia. Displaying coverage skills further confirms the versatility of the athletic defender in the minds of scouts. Irvin's fastest official 40 time from the combine was 4.41 seconds, the best of any defensive front seven player."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/tony_pauline/03/01/pro.days/index.html#ixzz1pX2CDnEg

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Good stuff, Low.  Hardin and Irvin both look like intriguing guys.  I really like Irvin's potential as an OLB in our 3-4.  Might have to take him in the 2nd round.  He won't last much past that. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

[QUOTE]After these moves and assuming we get Daniel Fells I view our draft needs, in no particular order as: WR OG OLB FS CB RB DT   We are pretty much maxed out at 53 players now so for every player drafted, we'd need to make a roster move.  These are the moves that seem to make the most sense.  But of course we only have 6 picks at the moment but we knew an undrafted RFA will make the team, one does every year. WR - cut 2 of 3 Ocho, Underwood, Gonzales OG - cut Daniel Thomas OLB - we have an open spot FS - cut 1 of Barrett or Brown, Barrett gives the most savings. CB - send Malcolm Williams back to the PS RB - cut Polite DT - cut Brace or Pryor These draft picks and moves essentially wash out on the cap and should dramatically upgrade us.  I intentionally didn't touch Light or Waters as part of this figuring each could give us another year. Now to match up draft picks to the above positions the most obvious place to start would be DT or CB but I would not rule out any position including WR or OG if the right guy is there at 27.

With our FA moves we've made some progress in addressing defensive and offensive needs to allow us greater draft flexibility.

We have yet to address pressing needs in our running game. While the conversation focuses on RBs we still could substantially improve our running game by drafting a dominant CENTER (i.e., Konz).

Connelly's greatest asset is his positional flexibility at G or C.  However, he isn't dominant at either G or the C position. Konz has the "blue-chip" potential to be dominant at the C position to substantially upgrade our running game and to provide better pass protection for TB.
    A dominant offense needs balance or it will remain vulnerable to superior defenses. We have now lost two straight SBs because we were unable to maintain ball control. We became offensively too predictable and that propensity exposed our vulnerability.

We must not overlook "blue-chip" OL players in our haste to over-compensate for past shortcomings on D as well as the wr positions. Blue-chip prospects don't often appear at the end of round one and their future contributions should also not be discounted in our rush  to fill positional needs with lesser talent.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

" small school cornerback, Chris Greenwood of Albion College, impressed scouts as well. Greenwood, who was not invited to the combine though did participate in the Shrine Game, took part in Michigan's pro day and was one of the fastest prospects on the field. His numbers Thursday would make many of the defensive backs from the combine blush as Greenwood measured 6-feet, 1.5 inches and 193 pounds then timed as fast as 4.34 seconds in the forty, posted a broad jump of 11 feet, 2 inches and touched 43 inches in the vertical jump. He's a bit unpolished in his technique, yet is considered a terrific developmental prospect and Greenwood is getting consideration"

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/tony_pauline/03/01/pro.days/index.html#ixzz1pX50qk4W

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

"word from the Virginia pro day is cornerback Chase Minnifield, who has struggled with a knee injury since the 2011 season, did not look all that good this morning. Coming into his senior season Minnifield was graded as a top 40 choice, but his draft stock has since slipped."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/tony_pauline/03/01/pro.days/index.html#ixzz1pX5UwiXK

Sections
Shortcuts