***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!

Here's my latest mock.  I think looking at remaining needs these guys could all come in and contribute.

27.  OLB Courtney Upshaw - I see him slipping and he could be there now.
    31.  OG Kevin Zeitler- Could be a slight trade down here.  With Mankins likely starting on the shelf and Waters age and potential retirement, a blue chip, plug and play OG is needed.  He can play any of the interior positions allowing us to leave Cannon at tackle, his natural position, for depth.
    48.  RB Doug Martin- He has the perfect blend of power and receiving skills that we've been missing at the position.  With Vereen's injury history we need someone to complete with and share the load with Ridley.  Martin will contribute immediately.
    63.  DT Mike Martin- It's all about sub packages.  Pryor has been hurt too much to count on.  Martin ranks close to the top of all the drills at the Combine.  He has a relentless motor, great character and I think the potential to be a great nickel DT for us.
    95.  FS Truman Johnson- He did not look like a CB during the positional drills at the Combine.  I think he has the potential to be a solid FS at the next level

4th - traded into 2013 for a 3rd.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!:
    In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I wouldn't be suprised if we drafted one in the 2nd or 3rd if the right guy is there. Welker, Lloyd, Edelman and Slater are my locks and I have Branch, Ochocinco, Stallworth, Underwood and Gonzalez all fighting for two remaining spots if we don't draft one.  I think BB always had alot of respect for Gonzalez. I often wonder if he's doing this as a favor for Gonz by signing him up, letting him play in preseason and letting the rest of the league know he's still out there (think Patrick Pass). There is a good chance Gonzalez would never have signed with anyone else and his career would have been over due to the injuries and he'd become a forgotten man. So you could say BB is "Quentin Tarantino-ing" him and the guy might catch on elsewhere. Unless they actually are thinking of trading Welker. I still think he gets a shot to make the roster anyway. There is a good chance they only keep 5 wr as well since Hernandez and Gronk are heavily involved in the passing game.
    Posted by I sat on your toilet

You could be right but I think BB is sick of drafting WRs and not seeing them pan out.  I don't think Branch will get cut unless he gets hurt.  He will still be a better option in BB's mind than a 2-3 round rookie.  I think Stallworth is a better option than Ocho.  He certainly did more his one year here and knows the system which Ocho still doesn't get so he's a lock in my mind.  Underwood can go back to the PS, so not losing him.

As for as BB doing Gonzales a favor, I don't think that's the reason.  Gonzales is an insurance policy against Welker holding out.  If he can stay healthy, he makes the team, if not, he's gone quickly with no loss.  I just don't think BB will draft a WR this year.  He already upgraded with Lloyd and there would be Zero balls for a rookie.

The other possibility is BB plans to trade Welker the moment he signs his tender.  He would certainly get a 1st for him if it's a 2013 pick, with maybe a kicker this year.  I am not ruling that out.  BB doesn't like to spend close to $10MM on a slot receiver or any receiver for that matter and he will get value whenever he can rather than letting someone walk.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

Here's my latest mock.  I think looking at remaining needs these guys could all come in and contribute. 27.  OLB Courtney Upshaw - I see him slipping and he could be there now. 31.  OG Kevin Zeitler - Could be a slight trade down here.  With Mankins likely starting on the shelf and Waters age and potential retirement, a blue chip, plug and play OG is needed.  He can play any of the interior positions allowing us to leave Cannon at tackle, his natural position, for depth. 48.  RB Doug Martin - He has the perfect blend of power and receiving skills that we've been missing at the position.  With Vereen's injury history we need someone to complete with and share the load with Ridley.  Martin will contribute immediately. 63.  DT Mike Martin - It's all about sub packages.  Pryor has been hurt too much to count on.  Martin ranks close to the top of all the drills at the Combine.  He has a relentless motor, great character and I think the potential to be a great nickel DT for us. 95.  FS Truman Johnson - He did not look like a CB during the positional drills at the Combine.  I think he has the potential to be a solid FS at the next level 4th - traded into 2013 for a 3rd.
    Posted by Faucetman

I am liking what I read about Zeitler.  He seems to be lot like Mankins, even the same size.  I tried to see what, if any, our linemen had in common.  Light, Mankins, Connolly, McDonald, and Thomas are 6'4" 310lbs.  Same with Zeitler.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I am liking what I read about Zeitler.  He seems to be lot like Mankins, even the same size.  I tried to see what, if any, our linemen had in common.  Light, Mankins, Connolly, McDonald, and Thomas are 6'4" 310lbs.  Same with Zeitler.
    Posted by Army2LT

Oh yeah and he is a nasty run blocker.  I love Zeitler a lot.  He would be a great fit and can start day 1 if needed.  He even has some experience at center.  You know if you draft an OL Wisconsin Badger that they will be NFL ready.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

OFFENSE 28 Players
    Slot31 W Welker '1226 Edelman '12Gonzales '12
    WR31 B. Lloyd '1427 M Slater '14 
    LOT33 M Light '1223 N Solder '15 
    LG31 R Gallery '1231 Mankins '16 PUP 
    C30 D. Connolly '1426 Wendell '13 
    ROG35 B. Waters '1227 D Thomas '12 
    RT27 Vollmer '1224 M. Cannon '14 
    TE23 Gronkowski '1322 Hernandez '1328 D Fells '14
    QB35 Tom Brady '1426 Hoyer '1224 Mallett '14
    RB23 S. Veeren '1426 Woodhead '12 
    23 S. Ridley '1430 L Polite '12S Larson '1

WR33 Branch '1231 Stallworth '1234 Ochocinco

DEFENSE 25 Players
    DE 
    30 J Fanene '14 26 Pryor '13  
    NT30 Wilfork '1426 Love '12 
    DE25 Deaderick '1325 R. Brace '12  
    OLB/DE28 T Scott '1224 Cunningham '13 
    ILB26 Mayo '1625 Fletcher '12 24 J Tarpinian
    ILB25 B Spikes '1331 T White '14
    31 Koutouvides
    OLB29 Ninkovich '13  
    LCB23 Dowling '1434 W Allen '12 22 M Williams
    RCB26 McCourty '1426 Arrington '1223 S Moore '12
    SS25 Chung '1224 S Brown '13   
    FS 29 S. Gregory '1427 J Barrett '12

SPECIAL TEAMS 3
    PK28 Gostkowski '14  
    P25 Z. Mesko '13  
    LS24 D Aiken  

This is how i think the depth chart would lay out at this point in time.

At the moment, as it would stand in this time, the positions I could see them NOT addressing with early picks are.

OL (if neither Light or Waters retires. Although you would most likely lose both next year even if the play this coming season, the Pats could address depth in next off season FA before the draft. The one exception could be Konz, if they thought he was all that and a significant upgrade at center. Obviously all bets are off if current signed depth changes with retirements.)

TE (I mean who can they draft that significantly upgrades their starters? No one)

RB (They have two pup backs they just spent 2nd and 3rd picks on last draft. The last starter wasn't even drafted. Many of the better backs in recent years have been low picks or undrafted. There are plenty of late round or UDFA backs that had very good careers in college that will be available. People are mistaken when they think the Pats don't run because the backs stink. They don't run because BB had hitched his wagon to Brady's sword. BB will live and die by it as Brady has earned his trust over time and he's the best player on the team.)

NT (They have Vince)

CB (Unless they had a vision of moving either Dowling or McCourtey to Free Safety)

WR (Only because I think they are scared to death, deservedly so, to predict who can get the offense and don't want to waste a high pick. The low rent FA depth crowd they have under contract is NOT part of this reasoning.)

So what is left to address early on, IMO?

S (ONLY if it's Barron, and they actually think he is all that. I am not convinced anyone else is going to be significant enough of an upgrade to draft early)

DE (If they actually plan to use more 3-4 two early DE's would have a opportunity to step into starting roles based on what they have.)

OLB (If they hit on the right guy I could see them being better than what is signed)

Additional upgrade spots with later picks

DB (versatile one who can play CB or S)

LB (versatile one who can play ILB or OLB)

WR (another shot in the dark at getting younger and I have really started to believe Edelman is forever outside the Brady circle of trust. There has been no other reason for his lack of playing time at WR, EVEN on the outside with this teams lack of options other than he can't do it. That leaves like nothing for youth really. Oh and before people are like Edeleman is a slot guy. He's as fast and quick as Branch was when Branch was younger and he's taller. He's as tall as David Givens was and faster and quicker. Brady must not trust him?)

OL (multi position guy)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from I sat on your toilet. Show I sat on your toilet's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : You could be right but I think BB is sick of drafting WRs and not seeing them pan out.  I don't think Branch will get cut unless he gets hurt.  He will still be a better option in BB's mind than a 2-3 round rookie.  I think Stallworth is a better option than Ocho.  He certainly did more his one year here and knows the system which Ocho still doesn't get so he's a lock in my mind.  Underwood can go back to the PS, so not losing him. As for as BB doing Gonzales a favor, I don't think that's the reason.  Gonzales is an insurance policy against Welker holding out.  If he can stay healthy, he makes the team, if not, he's gone quickly with no loss.  I just don't think BB will draft a WR this year.  He already upgraded with Lloyd and there would be Zero balls for a rookie. The other possibility is BB plans to trade Welker the moment he signs his tender.  He would certainly get a 1st for him if it's a 2013 pick, with maybe a kicker this year.  I am not ruling that out.  BB doesn't like to spend close to $10MM on a slot receiver or any receiver for that matter and he will get value whenever he can rather than letting someone walk.
    Posted by Faucetman

Faucetman, those are all great points! Damn I can't wait for the draft!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Posted by Low-FB-IQ

I don't know what you mean by early, but had a few comments on your post.

OL (if neither Light or Waters retires. Although you would most likely lose both next year even if the play this coming season, the Pats could address depth in next off season FA before the draft. The one exception could be Konz, if they thought he was all that and a significant upgrade at center. Obviously all bets are off if current signed depth changes with retirements.)

Mankins is as good as retired, given he's not available when the season starts.Consequently, they will be depending on Gallery early on. For some reason, I have doubts on a guy who has a rep for struggling with pass protect. I complained about Mankins during the reg season, but I think he's much better than Gallery when it comes to protecting TB. I think they need someone there behind Gallery. I would be fine if they pick up a guard no earlier than the third round. 

NT (They have Vince)

You don't think they could solve the DE problem by drafting someone who could be an NT and then moving Vince to DE? I would not min if they did that as an alternative to taking a DE. The problem is I think they need two DEs.

CB (Unless they had a vision of moving either Dowling or McCourtey to Free Safety)

I think the secondary - CBs and S - could use an upgrade, thereby increasing depth in the process.

WR (Only because I think they are scared to death, deservedly so, to predict who can get the offense and don't want to waste a high pick. The low rent FA depth crowd they have under contract is NOT part of this reasoning.)

I hope you're wrong on this. I believe you should pick at last one kid from the position that is the strength of the draft class. I really think WR is it this year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I don't think there is any way we draft Jenkins.  Too many flags.  Barron won't likely make it to 27 if he has a good Pro Day which I think is coming up this week at Alabama's 2nd Pro Day.  If he does, then Barron should be our choice. So unless the plan is to move McCourty to FS, I don't think we have room on the roster for another CB unless someone of the below is cut or gets tucked away on the PUP list. Dowling Moore McCourty Arrington Allen We are at budget for CBs now.
    Posted by Faucetman

exactly as i was saying, move devin to safety.
    take a risk on a potential elite player, no we would never do that (never mind a potential shut down corner).
    if we got both jenkins and barron, of course we could cut someone.

re zeitler, i dont know much about him, but if he can play all al 3 positions and one of them in a dominant fashion, i would favor him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED

"The other possibility is BB plans to trade Welker the moment he signs his tender.  He would certainly get a 1st for him ".

this has been my mantra.
    20-30 million reasons to trade him, improve the team with a pick.
    and with the plethora of quality receivers coming out this year (depth and talent), we can even improve our wr core, in the exchange).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I don't know what you mean by early

1st 4 picks

, but had a few comments on your post. OL  (if neither Light or Waters retires. Although you would most likely lose both next year even if the play this coming season, the Pats could address depth in next off season FA before the draft. The one exception could be Konz, if they thought he was all that and a significant upgrade at center. Obviously all bets are off if current signed depth changes with retirements.) 

Mankins is as good as retired

That's stretching it a bit IMO.

, given he's not available when the season starts.Consequently, they will be depending on Gallery early on

They "might" be and I am fine with that "if" they do. BTW the "might and If" is not in reference to Mankins status. There is not necessarily a reason to think they would not play Wendell or someone else there. Connolly started and did a fine job at guard and he's often been interchangeable with Wendell. We also don't know exactly what they think of the rest or how they might use them. Cannon, Thomas etc. They all played and seem to perform well when asked to.

For some reason, I have doubts on a guy who has a rep for struggling with pass protect. I complained about Mankins 

The SB may have been the final straw as reported but clearly it was messed up prior and he played through it.

during the reg season, but I think he's much better than Gallery when it comes to protecting TB. 

Wow how do we even know? He's never protected TB. Never worked with Scar. TB gets the ball out a lot faster most of the time most likely than the QB's Gallery was protecting most often previously. That makes a big difference. I really don't know the Colts so I might be setting myself up here(feel free to smack me upside the head if I'm wrong) but other than Saturday I am not familiar with any highly regarded Olineman from the Colts and Manning rarely got sacked.

I think they need someone there behind Gallery. I would be fine if they pick up a guard no earlier than the third round.  NT  (They have Vince) You don't think they could solve the DE problem by drafting someone who could be an NT and then moving Vince to DE? 

Not ideally.

I would not min if they did that as an alternative to taking a DE

I believe that to be robbing Peter to pay Paul. A desperation move as it's not Wilforks natural fit. As a coach you try to put your players in "the best" position to succeed and only ask an amazing athlete to stretch himself for the sake of the team to save your butt cause its an urgent need. IMO anyway. He can do it but obviously i wrote this from an ideal perspective.

The problem is I think they need two DEs

Without going back and looking I think I said the same.

CB  (Unless they had a vision of moving either Dowling or McCourtey to Free Safety) I think the secondary - CBs and S - could use an upgrade

I want to be clear I am understanding you. So you want to draft either McCoutey or Dowlings "starting" replacement? Meaning you think they need to be replaced/upgraded? If thats NOT what you meant then I think you are only saying what I was saying. The idea of people talking about Jenkins(which I can't see cause of character) or gilmore or who ever early as your 3rd CB seems very high for not a starter. Hmm, making me think... Now as I am writing this I am thinking of something I wasn't thinking of when i wrote the original and that's obviously if they spend a significant amount of time with 5 and 6 DB's on the field then that 3rd CB is like a starter. In the simplest form however yes they need to upgrade. I would be thrilled if they had enough talent to make guys like Moore, Brown, Williams, etc FA's.

, thereby increasing depth in the process. WR  (Only because I think they are scared to death, deservedly so, to predict who can get the offense and don't want to waste a high pick. The low rent FA depth crowd they have under contract is NOT part of this reasoning.) I hope you're wrong on this. I believe you should pick at last one kid from the position that is the strength of the draft class. I really think WR is it this year.

I am not saying they won't. They NEED to. I simply have no confidence they can identify one who will get inside Brady's circle of trust. They need some good young WR's.

The biggest problem with me trying to even form an opinion is I have no idea of Mankins, Cannon, Solder, Dowling, Barret, Vollmers health, etc etc. Also no idea where BB wants to go with his D look moving forward.

Posted by seattlepat70

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : exactly as i was saying, move devin to safety. take a risk on a potential elite player, no we would never do that (never mind a potential shut down corner). if we got both jenkins and barron, of course we could cut someone. re zeitler, i dont know much about him, but if he can play all al 3 positions and one of them in a dominant fashion, i would favor him.
    Posted by bredbru

I've seen you mention this a lot. You really believe Jenkins is the 2nd coming of Darrell Revis?

Revis is the ONLY guy I would even remotely consider shutdown.

By the way I am not insinuating Jenkins is or isn't. I have no opinion on him since once I heard he was a knuckle head I never really went to watch film on him. I was just genuinely curious if you viewed him as the 2nd  coming of Revis.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Interesting that Ocho re-did his deal cutting it from $3MM to $1MM.  I wonder why they would bother if they planned on releasing him.  The Pats have way too many receivers even if we don't count on Gonzales.  Trading Welker, once he signs, could certainly be in the cards.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Hey Faucet,

Good depth chart but I do have to move a couple of things around (changes in red):

Slot31 W Welker '1226 Edelman '12 
    WR31 B. Lloyd '14  27 M Slater '14
    LOT23 N Solder '15  
    LG31 Mankins '16
    31 R Gallery '12 
    C30 D. Connolly '1426 Wendell '13 
    ROG35 B. Waters '12  
    RT27 Vollmer '1224 M. Cannon '14 
    TE23 Gronkowski '1322 Hernandez '1328 D Fells '14
    QB35 Tom Brady '1424 Mallett '14 
    RB23 S. Veeren '1426 Woodhead '12 
    23 S. Ridley '14S Larson '13 

WR33 Branch '1231 Stallworth '12 

DEFENSE 22 Players
    DE 30 J Fanene '1426 Pryor '13 
    NT30 Wilfork '1426 Love '12 
    DE 25 Deaderick '13 25 R. Brace '12
    OLB/DE 28 T Scott '12 
    ILB26 Mayo '1625 Fletcher '12 24 J Tarpinian
    ILB25 B Spikes '1331 T White '14 
    OLB29 Ninkovich '13  
    LCB23 Dowling '1423 S Moore '12 
    RCB26 McCourty '1426 Arrington '1234 W Allen '12
    SS25 Chung '12  
    FS 29 S. Gregory '14 24 S Brown '13

SPECIAL TEAMS 3
    PK28 Gostkowski '14  
    P25 Z. Mesko '13  
    LS24 D Aiken  

LT - Light is praticully retired. I think this was the reason to get Gallery. Gallery has experience playing LG (Oak) and LT (Sea). It provides a vet backup for Solder as well as providing insurance incase Mankins won't be ready at the start of the season

LG - The surgery Mankins had was minor to clean up the knee not a full tendon surgery. He'll miss OTA's but is expected back for pre-season. It doesn't look like he'll need ot be PuPed. Though they might limit his playing time in the first couple of games

Z WR - If Slater is the backup heading out of pre-season then that position could be in trouble. I expect Stallworth and a drafted player to rotate backing up the Z and X positions

Y WR (slot) - I just don't think Gonz makes it out of pre-season. He's too injury prone and something will happen. He's a good camp body but with the shear amount of competition in camp this year he's going to have to do something special to make the roster

DE/DT - Deadrick has yet to show he deserves to be a starting DE. Until he proves it he's going to remain a backup in my eyes. I expect to see them either bring in a vet to fill that role or to draft a kid with one of the first 3 picks. With Love and Brace the reason I switched them is because Love typically replaces Wilfork when he needs a rest while Brace has primarily been used as a 34 DE

OLB - T Scott has potential but until he proves himself on the field and that he is healthy he's a backup at this point

FS - Gregory has the ability to be a starting caliber FS. Not a great one but a average-good FS. I don't see anyone currently on the market or in the draft that would perform better then him at the FS position (I see Smith and Barron more as Chung type of players then the coverage FS/CB's BB likes to employ in the FS position). The only * I'd toss on that is if they go CB in the draft and not a FS prospect then McCourty could take that starting position from Gregory

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Interesting that Ocho re-did his deal cutting it from $3MM to $1MM.  I wonder why they would bother if they planned on releasing him.  The Pats have way too many receivers even if we don't count on Gonzales.  Trading Welker, once he signs, could certainly be in the cards.
    Posted by Faucetman

Why not let him battle in camp? dropping the salary saves them $2mil they can use right away and it gives Ocho a shot to beat out other WR's in camp. If they decide to release him in camp not a big deal but Ocho gives better competition in camp then Underwood (truthfully) and is less of an injury risk then Gonz

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Hey guys. As a way to spark so discussion into the sleepers in the draft I thought it would be fun to go through each round and pick a single player from these positions in each round (1-7): WR/RB/TE, OL, DT/DE, DE/LB, S/CB. Also you have to pick 1 players in each position as UDFA's

in total you'll have 10 players in each of the above positions for a total of 40 players.

Round 1:

WR/RB/TE - Stephen Hill WR
    OL - Cordy Glenn G/T
    DT/DE - Kendell Reyes
    DE/OLB - Vinny Curry
    S/CB - Mark Barron S

Round 2:

WR/RB/TE - Marvin McNutt WR
    OL - Phillip Blake G/C
    DT/DE - Derek Wolfe
    DE/OLB - Shea McClellin
    S/CB - Trumaine Johnson FS/CB

Round 3:

WR/RB/TE - Brian Quick WR
    OL - Tony Bergstrom G/T
    DT/DE - Alameda Ta'amu
    DE/OLB - Cam Johnson
    S/CB - Dwight Bentley CB

Round 4:

WR/RB/TE - Ty Hilton WR
    OL - Brandon Brooks G/T
    DT/DE - Kheeston Randall
    DE/OLB - Jack Crawford
    S/CB - Geogre Iloka FS/CB

Round 5:

WR/RB/TE - Chris Rainey RB
    OL - David Molk C
    DT/DE - Akiem Hicks
    DE/OLB - Miles Burris
    S/CB - Sean Richardson S

Round 6:

WR/RB/TE - Chase Ford TE
    OL - Garth Gerhart G/C
    DT/DE - DaJohn Harris (whole in heart)
    DE/OLB - Olivier Vernon
    S/CB - Cameron Chism  CB

Round 7:

WR/RB/TE - Joe Halahuni H-back/FB
    OL - Matt Ryan T
    DT/DE - Dominique Hamilton
    DE/OLB - Cordarro Law
    S/CB - Tashaun Gipson CB

Round UDFA:

WR/RB/TE - Damarlo Belcher WR
    OL - Daron Rose G/T
    DT/DE - Delvin Johnson
    DE/OLB - Donte Moss-Paige
    S/CB - Matt Merletti S (ACL/MCL injury)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Hey guys. As a way to spark so discussion into the sleepers in the draft I thought it would be fun to go through each round and pick a single player from these positions in each round (1-7): WR/RB/TE, OL, DT/DE, DE/LB, S/CB. Also you have to pick 1 players in each position as UDFA's in total you'll have 10 players in each of the above positions for a total of 40 players. Round 1: WR/RB/TE - Stephen Hill WR OL - Cordy Glenn G/T DT/DE - Kendell Reyes DE/OLB - Vinny Curry S/CB - Mark Barron S Round 2: WR/RB/TE - Marvin McNutt WR OL - Phillip Blake G/C DT/DE - Derek Wolfe DE/OLB - Shea McClellin S/CB - Trumaine Johnson FS/CB Round 3: WR/RB/TE - Brian Quick WR OL - Tony Bergstrom G/T DT/DE - Alameda Ta'amu DE/OLB - Cam Johnson S/CB - Dwight Bentley CB Round 4: WR/RB/TE - Ty Hilton WR OL - Brandon Brooks G/T DT/DE - Kheeston Randall DE/OLB - Jack Crawford S/CB - Geogre Iloka FS/CB Round 5: WR/RB/TE - Chris Rainey RB OL - David Molk C DT/DE - Akiem Hicks DE/OLB - Miles Burris S/CB - Sean Richardson S Round 6: WR/RB/TE - Chase Ford TE OL - Garth Gerhart G/C DT/DE - DaJohn Harris (whole in heart) DE/OLB - Olivier Vernon S/CB - Cameron Chism  CB Round 7: WR/RB/TE - Joe Halahuni H-back/FB OL - Matt Ryan T DT/DE - Dominique Hamilton DE/OLB - Cordarro Law S/CB - Tashaun Gipson CB Round UDFA: WR/RB/TE - Damarlo Belcher WR OL - Daron Rose G/T DT/DE - Delvin Johnson DE/OLB - Donte Moss-Paige S/CB - Matt Merletti S (ACL/MCL injury)
    Posted by PatsEng

Hi Pats, is this just players we like in those rounds at those positions or suppose to be a player the Pats should have a shot at? If it's a shot at, how do we approach the rounds where they don't have picks?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Hi Pats, is this just players we like in those rounds at those positions or suppose to be a player the Pats should have a shot at? If it's a shot at, how do we approach the rounds where they don't have picks?
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

Just players in those rounds. I would preference it by saying that in the 1st I would limit it to players that you think they have a shot at (ie we aren't trading up to pick #4 for Blackmon or Claiborne).

Past that it's just players you think could fall in that round. I think the Pats have enough flexibility to be able to move around into any round and grab whoever they want so no restriction there.

The concept of the exercise though is mainly in the 3+ round range were it becomes harder to predict where players might fall. It's also an exercise I like to do every so often so I have a chance to take a look at smaller school guys in late day 2-day 3 range. It's mainly that I figured if 4-6 people do it we'd have 80+ guys names to keep us busy for the next month in the 4+ round range

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Just players in those rounds. I would preference it by saying that in the 1st I would limit it to players that you think they have a shot at (ie we aren't trading up to pick #4 for Blackmon or Claiborne). Past that it's just players you think could fall in that round. I think the Pats have enough flexibility to be able to move around into any round and grab whoever they want so no restriction there. The concept of the exercise though is mainly in the 3+ round range were it becomes harder to predict where players might fall. It's also an exercise I like to do every so often so I have a chance to take a look at smaller school guys in late day 2-day 3 range. It's mainly that I figured if 4-6 people do it we'd have 80+ guys names to keep us busy for the next month in the 4+ round range
    Posted by PatsEng

Sounds good, got it. Will have a go when i get a moment.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

Hey Faucet, Good depth chart but I do have to move a couple of things around (changes in red ): Slot 31 W Welker '12 26 Edelman '12   WR 31 B. Lloyd '14     27 M Slater '14 LOT 23 N Solder '15     LG 31 Mankins '16 31 R Gallery '12   C 30 D. Connolly '14 26 Wendell '13   ROG 35 B. Waters '12     RT 27 Vollmer '12 24 M. Cannon '14   TE 23 Gronkowski '13 22 Hernandez '13 28 D Fells '14 QB 35 Tom Brady '14 24 Mallett '14   RB 23 S. Veeren '14 26 Woodhead '12   23 S. Ridley '14 S Larson '13         WR 33 Branch '12 31 Stallworth '12           DEFENSE 22 Players DE   30 J Fanene '14 26 Pryor '13   NT 30 Wilfork '14 26 Love '12   DE   25 Deaderick '13   25 R. Brace '12 OLB/DE   28 T Scott '12   ILB 26 Mayo '16 25 Fletcher '12   24 J Tarpinian ILB 25 B Spikes '13 31 T White '14   OLB 29 Ninkovich '13     LCB 23 Dowling '14 23 S Moore '12   RCB 26 McCourty '14 26 Arrington '12 34 W Allen '12 SS 25 Chung '12     FS   29 S. Gregory '14   24 S Brown '13   SPECIAL TEAMS 3 PK 28 Gostkowski '14     P 25 Z. Mesko '13     LS 24 D Aiken     LT - Light is praticully retired. I think this was the reason to get Gallery. Gallery has experience playing LG (Oak) and LT (Sea). It provides a vet backup for Solder as well as providing insurance incase Mankins won't be ready at the start of the season LG - The surgery Mankins had was minor to clean up the knee not a full tendon surgery. He'll miss OTA's but is expected back for pre-season. It doesn't look like he'll need ot be PuPed. Though they might limit his playing time in the first couple of games Z WR - If Slater is the backup heading out of pre-season then that position could be in trouble. I expect Stallworth and a drafted player to rotate backing up the Z and X positions Y WR (slot) - I just don't think Gonz makes it out of pre-season. He's too injury prone and something will happen. He's a good camp body but with the shear amount of competition in camp this year he's going to have to do something special to make the roster DE/DT - Deadrick has yet to show he deserves to be a starting DE. Until he proves it he's going to remain a backup in my eyes. I expect to see them either bring in a vet to fill that role or to draft a kid with one of the first 3 picks. With Love and Brace the reason I switched them is because Love typically replaces Wilfork when he needs a rest while Brace has primarily been used as a 34 DE OLB - T Scott has potential but until he proves himself on the field and that he is healthy he's a backup at this point FS - Gregory has the ability to be a starting caliber FS. Not a great one but a average-good FS. I don't see anyone currently on the market or in the draft that would perform better then him at the FS position (I see Smith and Barron more as Chung type of players then the coverage FS/CB's BB likes to employ in the FS position). The only * I'd toss on that is if they go CB in the draft and not a FS prospect then McCourty could take that starting position from Gregory
    Posted by PatsEng

What happened to Nick McDonald?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : What happened to Nick McDonald?
    Posted by teegee

I just copied and pasted Faucet's truthfully, because there were a couple of differences I had seen in his from what I was thinking.

I had completely forgotten about McDonald. I can't keep forgetting about this kid because Scar apparently thinks highly of him. That's another reason I don't think they go Konz in rd 1. If BB and Scar like McDonald and think Connolly did and admirable job last year then I doubt they even target a C in this draft. Maybe a UDFA for camp battles and to push McDonald but I don't think they go high on one.

Actually the only positions on O I can see them using even a 3rd or higher pick this year is WR and TE. With the latter only being if a highly touted TE (Fleener) falls to the back end of the 2nd. Short of that I don't see them targeting an O player with any of their picks (unless they trade back for later round picks)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Hey guys. As a way to spark so discussion into the sleepers in the draft I thought it would be fun to go through each round and pick a single player from these positions in each round (1-7): WR/RB/TE, OL, DT/DE, DE/LB, S/CB. Also you have to pick 1 players in each position as UDFA's in total you'll have 10 players in each of the above positions for a total of 40 players. Round 1: WR/RB/TE - Stephen Hill WR OL - Cordy Glenn G/T DT/DE - Kendell Reyes DE/OLB - Vinny Curry S/CB - Mark Barron S Round 2: WR/RB/TE - Marvin McNutt WR OL - Phillip Blake G/C DT/DE - Derek Wolfe DE/OLB - Shea McClellin S/CB - Trumaine Johnson FS/CB Round 3: WR/RB/TE - Brian Quick WR OL - Tony Bergstrom G/T DT/DE - Alameda Ta'amu DE/OLB - Cam Johnson S/CB - Dwight Bentley CB Round 4: WR/RB/TE - Ty Hilton WR OL - Brandon Brooks G/T DT/DE - Kheeston Randall DE/OLB - Jack Crawford S/CB - Geogre Iloka FS/CB Round 5: WR/RB/TE - Chris Rainey RB OL - David Molk C DT/DE - Akiem Hicks DE/OLB - Miles Burris S/CB - Sean Richardson S Round 6: WR/RB/TE - Chase Ford TE OL - Garth Gerhart G/C DT/DE - DaJohn Harris (whole in heart) DE/OLB - Olivier Vernon S/CB - Cameron Chism  CB Round 7: WR/RB/TE - Joe Halahuni H-back/FB OL - Matt Ryan T DT/DE - Dominique Hamilton DE/OLB - Cordarro Law S/CB - Tashaun Gipson CB Round UDFA: WR/RB/TE - Damarlo Belcher WR OL - Daron Rose G/T DT/DE - Delvin Johnson DE/OLB - Donte Moss-Paige S/CB - Matt Merletti S (ACL/MCL injury)
    Posted by PatsEng

I like this kind of exercise, below is who I like at this point.  I cheated a bit as I’m still torn on a few... I know I know, you're not an Alshon guy, ha... Doug Martin would be the other skill guy that would interest me in Rd 2.

Round 1:

WR/RB/TE – Rueben Randle
    OL – Peter Konz
    DT/DE - Kendall Reyes
    DE/OLB – Dont’a Hightower
    S/CB - Mark Barron

Round 2:

WR/RB/TE – Alshon Jeffery
    OL – Kevin Zeitler
    DT/DE – Jerel Worthy
    DE/OLB - Shea McClellin
    S/CB – Harrison Smith / Jayron Hosley

Round 3:

WR/RB/TE – Marvin Jones/Greg Childs/Chris Polk
    OL – Senio Kelemete OG
    DT/DE - Alameda Ta'amu
    DE/OLB - Cam Johnson
    S/CB – Leonard Johnson / George Iloka

Round 4:

WR/RB/TE – Devon Wylie / Joe Adams
    OL – Joe Looney OG
    DT/DE – Derek Wolfe
    DE/OLB – Jake Bequette
    S/CB – Omar Bolden / Shaun Prater

Round 5:

WR/RB/TE – Danny Coale
    OL – Quentin Saulsberry OG/OC
    DT/DE – Kheeston Randall
    DE/OLB – Brett Roy
    S/CB – Ron Brooks

Round 6:

WR/RB/TE – Marquis Maze
    OL – Andrew Datko OT
    DT/DE – Taylor Thompson
    DE/OLB – Julian Miller
    S/CB – Robert Blanton CB/S

Round 7:

WR/RB/TE – Brad Herman TE
    OL – Bryce Harris OT
    DT/DE – Travian Robertson
    DE/OLB – Matt Conrath
    S/CB – Coty Sensabaugh CB

Round UDFA:

WR/RB/TE – Jonas Gray RB
    OL – Markus Zusevics OT?OG
    DT/DE – Markus Kuhn
    DE/OLB – Vince Brown
    S/CB – Neiko Thorpe CB/S / Jordan Bernstine CB/S

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

NE didn't receive any compensatory picks for the 2012 draft:

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/index.php/2012/03/26/patriots-receive-no-compensatory-draft-picks-for-this-years-draft/

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I've seen you mention this a lot. You really believe Jenkins is the 2nd coming of Darrell Revis? Revis is the ONLY guy I would even remotely consider shutdown. By the way I am not insinuating Jenkins is or isn't. I have no opinion on him since once I heard he was a knuckle head I never really went to watch film on him. I was just genuinely curious if you viewed him as the 2nd  coming of Revis.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

hes conisdered by many scouts to be a potential shut down corner. this kind of thing cant be assured.  i think he could be in a level just below revis. the only reason he slips out of top 10-15 is being due to being tossed out of university for pot arrests (more than one). taking a chance on a talent like this (as we did ,maybe lesser so, with hernandez) is something i would do.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

was looking at Pats picks in 2013 and they are down to 5 picks, which makes me think BB will be thinking about adding next year.  How much can they drop down from 31 and still get a starter? 

1st Round
    2nd Round
    3rd Round
    4th Round
    7th Round

Picks traded away:

5th Round – (Redskins – Albert Haynesworth)
    6th Round – (Bengals – Chad Ochocinco)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

new mocks:

nepats.com

brockers 27 and jenkins 31 in rd 1

walterftball

curry 27, then still (in a reversal, still branch drop, curry up)
    then branch at 48 and josh robinison

nepats go barron at detroit spot, walter goes jenkins

walter goes barron to dallas
    nepats goes de castro

the majority of consensus i see everywhere is jennkins to detroit. if he gets by them, i hope we squeeze the trigger on him

Sections
Shortcuts