***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!

One of the first rounders will most certainly be traded.   We all know it, even though we'd love to see them be used.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!:
    Interesting that Ocho re-did his deal cutting it from $3MM to $1MM.  I wonder why they would bother if they planned on releasing him.  The Pats have way too many receivers even if we don't count on Gonzales.  Trading Welker, once he signs, could certainly be in the cards.
    Posted by Faucetman

right now, i don't think it matters that they have a lot of WRs. until lloyd and stallworth sees the field on a reg season game, welker is their only reliable WR. i do not think trading him is smart at this point.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Rame,

I've heard a number of people mention trading for Allen and I just have to ask, why would the Vik's trade Allen?

It makes no sense for them to. Yes he has a big contract but they aren't exactly cash strapped. Additionally he's been the most productive pass rusher in the league well over 5+yrs now.

I don't think there is a chance they trade a franchise pass rusher for a 2nd and a 4th. Heck you might have a hard time convincing them to do it for 2 1sts

Additionally you want Stewart too? Where is all this cash coming from? We have some money to play with, true, but not that much. Allen and Stewart would mean letting other players go and not having a lot of future cap to resign other core guys. Car also said they aren't letting Stewart go (which makes sense). Of the RB's they have Stewart is the youngest with the highest upside over a longer length of time. If anything I'd think they'd let Williams go first. A much higher contract, more wear, and is much older.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Hey guys. As a way to spark so discussion into the sleepers in the draft I thought it would be fun to go through each round and pick a single player from these positions in each round (1-7): WR/RB/TE, OL, DT/DE, DE/LB, S/CB. Also you have to pick 1 players in each position as UDFA's in total you'll have 10 players in each of the above positions for a total of 40 players. Round 1: WR/RB/TE - Stephen Hill WR OL - Cordy Glenn G/T DT/DE - Kendell Reyes DE/OLB - Vinny Curry S/CB - Mark Barron S Round 2: WR/RB/TE - Marvin McNutt WR OL - Phillip Blake G/C DT/DE - Derek Wolfe DE/OLB - Shea McClellin S/CB - Trumaine Johnson FS/CB Round 3: WR/RB/TE - Brian Quick WR OL - Tony Bergstrom G/T DT/DE - Alameda Ta'amu DE/OLB - Cam Johnson S/CB - Dwight Bentley CB Round 4: WR/RB/TE - Ty Hilton WR OL - Brandon Brooks G/T DT/DE - Kheeston Randall DE/OLB - Jack Crawford S/CB - Geogre Iloka FS/CB Round 5: WR/RB/TE - Chris Rainey RB OL - David Molk C DT/DE - Akiem Hicks DE/OLB - Miles Burris S/CB - Sean Richardson S Round 6: WR/RB/TE - Chase Ford TE OL - Garth Gerhart G/C DT/DE - DaJohn Harris (whole in heart) DE/OLB - Olivier Vernon S/CB - Cameron Chism  CB Round 7: WR/RB/TE - Joe Halahuni H-back/FB OL - Matt Ryan T DT/DE - Dominique Hamilton DE/OLB - Cordarro Law S/CB - Tashaun Gipson CB Round UDFA: WR/RB/TE - Damarlo Belcher WR OL - Daron Rose G/T DT/DE - Delvin Johnson DE/OLB - Donte Moss-Paige S/CB - Matt Merletti S (ACL/MCL injury)
    Posted by PatsEng

OK I gave you way more names than I was suppose to but you said you wanted to keep busy so :)

Round 1:

WR/RB/TE – Kendall Wright 
    OL – Peter Konz
    DT/DE - Michael Brockers 
    DE/OLB – Whitney Mercilus
    S/CB - Mark Barron / Stephon Gilmore

Round 2:

WR/RB/TE – Doug Martin / Reuben Randle 
    OL – Mike Adams / Kevin Zeitler 
    DT/DE – Kendall Reyes
    DE/OLB - Vinny Curry / Andre Branch
    S/CB – Josh Robinson / Harrison Smith

Round 3:

WR/RB/TE – Marvin Jones / Brian Quick / Ryan Broyles
    OL – Amini Silatolu
    DT/DE - Mike Martin 
    DE/OLB - Cam Johnson 
    S/CB – Casey Hayward / Trumaine Johnson / Jamell Fleming / Justin 
    Bethel / Brandon Boykin

Round 4:

WR/RB/TE – Jarius Wright / Eric Page / Jordan White
    OL – James Brown / Mitchel Schwartz
    DT/DE – Derek Wolfe 
    DE/OLB – Shea McClellin
    S/CB – Shaun Prater

Round 5:

WR/RB/TE – Danny Coale / Greg Childs / Devon Wylie
    OL – Philip Blake / Ryan Miller / Joe Looney
    DT/DE – Kheeston Randall 
    DE/OLB – Jake Bequette 
    S/CB – Omar Bolden / George Iloka

Round 6:

WR/RB/TE – Chris Rainey / Bryce Brown 
    OL – Donald Stephenson
    DT/DE – Brett Roy / Akiem Hicks 
    DE/OLB – Oliver Vernon 
    S/CB – Ron Brooks

Round 7:

WR/RB/TE – Patrick Edwards / Junior Hemingway / Bobby Rainey / Drake 
    Dunsmore
    OL – James Carmon
    DT/DE – Nicoles Jean-Baptiste
    DE/OLB – Tim Fugger / Tank Carder(ILB)
    S/CB – Cliff Harris / Jeron McMillian

Round UDFA:

WR/RB/TE – Lance Dunbar / Michael Smith / Coale Beasley / Darius 
    Reynolds / Jeremy Ebert / Kashif Moore / Emil Igwennagu
    OL – Bradley Sowell / Josh Oglesby
    DT/DE – Markus Kuhn / Matt Conrath
    DE/OLB – Jamie Blatnick / Vince Brown / Jamaar Jarrett / Ernest 
    Owusu
    S/CB – Coty Sensabaugh / Sean Cattouse / Cory White
    ILB - Kory Toomer
    QB - Dan Persa / Case Keenum / G.J. Kinne

Enjoy...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

It's very interesting how any rumors are out there involving the Patriots and either Forte or Stewart

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

1) Thank you to all the hardcore Draftheads here for helpin us city folk get up to speed.

2) Although I've been reading along for some time now -
     I've yet to comment (crowd cheers )
     College ball just isnt my specialty
     That said , with the Draft  just 1 month off -
    I thought it was time to contribute sumthin ...so

Here's an interesting article I ran across that rates teams drafts over the last decade ( 2000 - 2010 ...doesnt include last years )

Interesting to see who came in #1 .

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_3749_Decade_in_the_making%3A_the_ultimate_NFL_draft_grades.html

PS - I gave up tryin to figure out what BB will do a long time ago - but I do believe we'll once again be treated to the added excitement of rootin against a team ( or two ) in 2012 in anticipation of gettin' their traded for low draft pick in 2013.

I LOVE this underated aspect of NFL entertainment -
    one that BB regularly serves up for us Pats fans .

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Stewart costs 1.3 million It would be silly id I was saying Allen and Forte (at 7.7) but Stewart costs less than Ocho just saved the team The Vikings gave up two 1st rd picks for Allen when he was 25 leaving KC. Now he is 30.
    Posted by rameakap

Except that Stewarts contract is coming up and locking him up long term will take a #1 RB type of contract. So, keeping him long term would be costly

Allen might be 29 but his 5 yrs since they traded 2 1sts he's only gotten better so his production outweights his age at this point. Again why would they trade him?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

and the cost of Stewart for 1 year at a 3rd is similar to Dillon for 1 yr and a 2nd, when we are 'going for it' I don't think we gave Corey an extension till after that SB season. Certainly the Pats will have plenty of room starting in 2013 and and GOBS of $ in '14 when Brady and Vince's deals are up (of course Gronk will be pricey)... but I don't see Stewart getting much more than 5/25, even if he goes off for 1,400. But if he helps us win a championship, then walks, so be it. Ridley and Vareen won't be rushed and will be ready and the fans appetites will be sated for a little so they can handle a drop back to weaker running games, like they did after the one great Corey year.
    Posted by rameakap

Big difference between a 30yr old Dillion coming from a Bengals team in free fall and Stewart who is 25 coming from a team on the rise where they have another older RB, Williams, who contract might be prohibitive in the near future.

It's not nearly the same comparison you think it is. Car would be stupid to trade Stewart and keep an older Williams now that they have Newton.

As with Allen, the Viks need fans in the seats right now, not 3-4 years down the road. One thing about the Viks is that they have always been about D. It would make much more sense for them to extend Allen and spread out that remaining 26mil over another 4-5yr deal then to trade Allen and basically tell your fan base you are rebuilding right when they are in a fight for a new stadium. It makes no sense for them to do that. Allen is a fan favorite and if you get rid of him you might as well get rid of AP

Oh yeah where there's smoke there isn't always fire either. Some times fans create the smoke when there is nothing there to begin with. Happens all the time (ie Forte rumors when there is actually nothing substantial to back up the rumors). That's just the internet age we live in, where 1 person can make up a rumor in a message board and any gullible fan will run with it to another message board and soon enough if you have enough fans believing in it, poof instant smoke.

Someone actually did that a couple years ago with the Pats going after S Jackson and the original rumor starter had a good laugh at peoples expense

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I know we are all looking at the teams in front of us and trying to decide what will happen and where players will go to get a better idea of who might be available. Well here's the latest info I have picked up regarding players possible fits:

• #1,#2 - RGIII and Luck. They will be the top 2 picks no matter the order
    • Kalil will be a top 5 pick. However, the Viks are trying to trade back. It seems unlikely they will be able to unless the Phins feel Clev will take Tannehill at #4 and want to move ahead of them
    • Clev seems to be focusing on either Claiborne, Blackmon, or Richardson at this point. Richardson might be the target since Clev doesn't seem enamoured about going D very early and they can get a starting caliber WR with their 2nd 1st round pick
    • TB is targeting the same players as Clev. They will take the best of what's left and considering the needed at CB Claiborne looks like the surest thing
    • Phins, if Clev doesn't go with Tannehill then the Phins most certainly will. After promising fans something more then Moore they can't expect a aging QB who didn't play last year to make the beasts quite
    • Dal is enamoured by Poe. If he's on the board he might be their pick. They also need a ton of secondary help so Jenkins and Kirkpatrick are their other targets
    • Bills just spent a ton of money on their DL. They won't be targeting front 7 in this draft anymore. Look for them to sure up that OL with Reiff. If Reiff isn't there then they we get another bookend across from Johnson in either Floyd or Wright
    • Steelers need help in a lot of places but the two most in need are the LB's and OL. I expect them to go after a guy they love in Adams to keep Ben upright but wouldn't be shocked if Hightower was also a target.
    • Den, even with the addition on Manning I still see them addressing the pass rushing issue from last year with in interior presence. Could be Cox, Still, or Brockers but I'm sure they get someone for the inside
    • Jax wants a WR and they want one bad. They might even move up to make sure they get Floyd

That's all I've been able to dig up so far, but these teams listed never play games and tend to show their cards early so take this news for what it's worth but should give us a better idea of what might happen coming down our pipe

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I know we are all looking at the teams in front of us and trying to decide what will happen and where players will go to get a better idea of who might be available. Well here's the latest info I have picked up regarding players possible fits: #1,#2 - RGIII and Luck. They will be the top 2 picks no matter the order Kalil will be a top 5 pick. However, the Viks are trying to trade back. It seems unlikely they will be able to unless the Phins feel Clev will take Tannehill at #4 and want to move ahead of them Clev seems to be focusing on either Claiborne, Blackmon, or Richardson at this point. Richardson might be the target since Clev doesn't seem enamoured about going D very early and they can get a starting caliber WR with their 2nd 1st round pick TB is targeting the same players as Clev. They will take the best of what's left and considering the needed at CB Claiborne looks like the surest thing Phins, if Clev doesn't go with Tannehill then the Phins most certainly will. After promising fans something more then Moore they can't expect a aging QB who didn't play last year to make the beasts quite Dal is enamoured by Poe. If he's on the board he might be their pick. They also need a ton of secondary help so Jenkins and Kirkpatrick are their other targets Bills just spent a ton of money on their DL. They won't be targeting front 7 in this draft anymore. Look for them to sure up that OL with Reiff. If Reiff isn't there then they we get another bookend across from Johnson in either Floyd or Wright Steelers need help in a lot of places but the two most in need are the LB's and OL. I expect them to go after a guy they love in Adams to keep Ben upright but wouldn't be shocked if Hightower was also a target. Den, even with the addition on Manning I still see them addressing the pass rushing issue from last year with in interior presence. Could be Cox, Still, or Brockers but I'm sure they get someone for the inside Jax wants a WR and they want one bad. They might even move up to make sure they get Floyd That's all I've been able to dig up so far, but these teams listed never play games and tend to show their cards early so take this news for what it's worth but should give us a better idea of what might happen coming down our pipe
    Posted by PatsEng

Thanks for the info PE, good stuff.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Hey Faucet, Good depth chart but I do have to move a couple of things around (changes in red ): Slot 31 W Welker '12 26 Edelman '12   WR 31 B. Lloyd '14     27 M Slater '14 LOT 23 N Solder '15     LG 31 Mankins '16 31 R Gallery '12   C 30 D. Connolly '14 26 Wendell '13   ROG 35 B. Waters '12     RT 27 Vollmer '12 24 M. Cannon '14   TE 23 Gronkowski '13 22 Hernandez '13 28 D Fells '14 QB 35 Tom Brady '14 24 Mallett '14   RB 23 S. Veeren '14 26 Woodhead '12   23 S. Ridley '14 S Larson '13         WR 33 Branch '12 31 Stallworth '12           DEFENSE 22 Players DE   30 J Fanene '14 26 Pryor '13   NT 30 Wilfork '14 26 Love '12   DE   25 Deaderick '13   25 R. Brace '12 OLB/DE   28 T Scott '12   ILB 26 Mayo '16 25 Fletcher '12   24 J Tarpinian ILB 25 B Spikes '13 31 T White '14   OLB 29 Ninkovich '13     LCB 23 Dowling '14 23 S Moore '12   RCB 26 McCourty '14 26 Arrington '12 34 W Allen '12 SS 25 Chung '12     FS   29 S. Gregory '14   24 S Brown '13   SPECIAL TEAMS 3 PK 28 Gostkowski '14     P 25 Z. Mesko '13     LS 24 D Aiken     LT - Light is praticully retired. I think this was the reason to get Gallery. Gallery has experience playing LG (Oak) and LT (Sea). It provides a vet backup for Solder as well as providing insurance incase Mankins won't be ready at the start of the season LG - The surgery Mankins had was minor to clean up the knee not a full tendon surgery. He'll miss OTA's but is expected back for pre-season. It doesn't look like he'll need ot be PuPed. Though they might limit his playing time in the first couple of games Z WR - If Slater is the backup heading out of pre-season then that position could be in trouble. I expect Stallworth and a drafted player to rotate backing up the Z and X positions Y WR (slot) - I just don't think Gonz makes it out of pre-season. He's too injury prone and something will happen. He's a good camp body but with the shear amount of competition in camp this year he's going to have to do something special to make the roster DE/DT - Deadrick has yet to show he deserves to be a starting DE. Until he proves it he's going to remain a backup in my eyes. I expect to see them either bring in a vet to fill that role or to draft a kid with one of the first 3 picks. With Love and Brace the reason I switched them is because Love typically replaces Wilfork when he needs a rest while Brace has primarily been used as a 34 DE OLB - T Scott has potential but until he proves himself on the field and that he is healthy he's a backup at this point FS - Gregory has the ability to be a starting caliber FS. Not a great one but a average-good FS. I don't see anyone currently on the market or in the draft that would perform better then him at the FS position (I see Smith and Barron more as Chung type of players then the coverage FS/CB's BB likes to employ in the FS position). The only * I'd toss on that is if they go CB in the draft and not a FS prospect then McCourty could take that starting position from Gregory
    Posted by PatsEng

Hey Eng,

A couple of comments.  I do think Light will retire too but until he does, I have him ahead of Solder on the depth chart.  But, this could be short lived.

I'm a little higher on Deaderick than you.  I think he got better late in the season and this could be his break out year.

I hope you're right about Mankins.  My view is Gallery was brought in as insurance against Mankins not being ready.  But if you are correct, Gallery would certainly bring depth to the OL, whether it is at LT, LG, RG or RT.  He's inconsistent as heck but maybe Dante can do something with him.

I further agree with your next post that Ocho will come to camp now that he restructured and be allowed to compete.  I find BB's comments about the wide receiver position very interesting.  "You always try to have competition at every position. We’ve always had about that many receivers going to camp -- 10, 11, somewhere in there -- [and] we’ll see what the roster limit ends up being this year," he said Tuesday morning at the AFC coaches breakfast.  "There are some guys that I'm sure will be at that position that aren’t even on our team right now, that we’re not even talking about. It’s just a process."  Does this mean he is going to draft someone?  Does it mean there is another F/A he has his sights on?  I think probably means he will draft someone as there isn't anyone left out there worth bringing in.  Given the age at the position and the the Welker situation, youth is needed.

I agree with you on Gonz.  I doubt he makes it either.  I'm not 100% sure that Stallworth or Ocho make it to be honest.  If we draft a WR high, there won't be room for either of those guys.  I have to feel Welker (unless he's traded), Lloyd, Branch, Edelman and Slater are locks.  Slater might count as a DB but, we will carry 6 WRs max if we are carrying 5 RBs and 3 TEs.  Well, we have 5 locks now and a high rookie draft pick would be 6.  Now, we could go with 4 RBs meaning one of Larson/Fiammetta aren't going to make it.  If that happens, we could squeeze another WR in there.

As for the safety situation, I don't think Barron will be in play at 27.  Although Barron and Smith are considered Strong Safeties, I don't think that means all that much any more with the various personnel groupings we use on sub sets.  I will say this, I am warming to MB's guy, Stephon Gilmore.  Mayock now has him as his #2 CB.  The more tape I watch, the more I study the kid and look at his size and production, the more I like him as a potential pick at 27.

We can all talk about how we need to improve the front 7 and the pass rush but when you have the 31st ranked secondary, you better get some people who can cover and make plays in the secondary.  The signings of Allen and Gregory don't mean that much to me.  I live in Orange County.  Most of my friends out here are Charger's fans.  The consensus is Gregory is not a starter.  He had a down year.  He is probably going to be a special teams guy and situational player.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

A couple of other things that just came across recently is that the Rams might be looking to move up to the #4 spot and go after Blackmon. They've been rumored to like him for a while now and they might feel that he could be a target for Clev. I doubt Clev would take Blackmon considering Holgrams feelings towards taking a WR so early but if Blackmon gets by Clev and TB then at #6 he is sure to be taken

Ari is also taking a hard look at DeCastro. Seems like they favor him over Martin if he's still on the board

So that should sum up the top 6 picks at least

Luck, RGIII, Kalil, Blackmon, Richardson, Claiborne

And I count at least

3 QB's
    2 WR
    1 CB
    1 RB
    3 OL going in the top 15 picks which leaves 4 players not accounted for (Dal, Car, KC, Sea)

But right now it looks like Sea might be leaning to ILB and KC might be leaning to either Poe or Martin

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Hey Faucet,

I really didn't want to quote the entire post for a couple of small things to discuss. So here are some responses  Tongue Out

With the WR position, I agree I think they draft someone, just not in the top 3 picks. If they grab someone I feel it will be from the back of the 2nd to the back of the 4th range.

As for what that does to the WR where we typically only carry 6. Well Welker, Lloyd are sure things. Edelman is an ironman that adds depth in all 3 aspects of the game so he has to be in. Stallworth and Ocho and both be considered backups to Lloyd so I feel 1 of the two will make it. If Ocho proves he knows the book then he has the edge but if he comes into camp the same way he left the 11' season then Stallworth has the edge. I think Branch stays just because of chemistry with Brady and backs up Welker as a F WR. That's 5 and a draft pick makes 6. Slater still makes the team and the casualty is White. Slater to me isn't considered a WR just a STer. With the addition of Larsen you now have a 5th FB/LB/STer so he replaces both Faulk and White freeing up that extra spot to keep Slater.

As for drafting a S, I agree Barron won't make it to #27. Smith is also to much like Chung for me to consider at this point. I also don't like the idea of taking a conversion type of CB and hope he can flourish as a FS with a 1st round pick. My solution would be to take a 2nd or 3rd round CB that could play nickel CB well rotational FS with either Gregory or McCourty taking the majority of snaps at the FS. Names I like in this role are Trumaine Johnson, Geogre Iloka, Alfonzo Dennard. A couple smaller school names that I think could make an excellent transition are:

Josh Robinson - He played some man in college so he has experience but his true skills lie in his ability to read/react and his closing speed (4.3 straight line). These traits make him an ideal deep safety that can make up a lot of distance in a hurry. He could be a great read/react S that can jump in front of longer routes or cover large chunks of ground to break passes up. I would not be surprised for BB to go this route for the intermediate to long coverage.

Josh Norman - Didn't have a great combine and doesn't have great speed but dominated the east-west and has good size. He has great hands and could become a ball hawking FS. He's very good at not allowing separation which could make him a very good short to intermediate press FS/nickel CB.

If I was going to look for a convert in the 3rd-4th range and I wanted a deep coverage FS, using Gregory as a short man FS then Robinson would be an extremely solid pick. If I was more concerned about using the FS as an extra CB closer to the line to cover TE's and slot WR's then I might leans towards Iloka. Of course in both cases I would use the higher picks on pass rushers early. Yes we had a bad secondary but a consistent pass rush that puts pressure on the QB early and often can hide a weaker secondary, while a great secondary can't always hide the lack of a consistent pass rush.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

Faucetman writes
    " I find BB's comments about the wide receiver position very interesting.  "You always try to have competition at every position. We’ve always had about that many receivers going to camp -- 10, 11, somewhere in there -- [and] we’ll see what the roster limit ends up being this year," he said Tuesday morning at the AFC coaches breakfast.  "There are some guys that I'm sure will be at that position that aren’t even on our team right now, that we’re not even talking about. It’s just a process."  Does this mean he is going to draft someone?  Does it mean there is another F/A he has his sights on?  I think probably means he will draft someone as there isn't anyone left out there worth bringing in.  Given the age at the position and the the Welker situation, youth is needed.

I find it interesting too Faucetman.

My take is ANYTHING BB says regarding the roster should be taken with a grain of salt . He may be the most caculated statement maker in the history of the NFL.

IMO -
    There's a reason he volunteered that the Pats may add a wr ...

Draft TRADE PARTNERS are listening .

When pick #27 ( or #31 ) comes up and Stephen Hill or ??? is still on the board  , he wants to make sure that GM's out there remember that even tho the Pats are currently overloaded at receiver ... there's still the possibility that they would go that route.

( Might even invite 'em to Foxboro pre-draft ... with zero interest of actually pulling the trigger )

That said , if Mr. Zig-when-they-Zag Belichick was to use a #1 on a wr ...it wouldnt shock me (for that matter - wouldn't shock me if he took FLEENER )

If a wr is indeed a target of the Pats then my guess is the player will have a very high IQ .
    Anybody trying to figure out who that might be would be wise to bone up on wr 's wonderlic scores , as much as their 40's.
      The Pats recent history has proved that no matter how impressive a wr's resume is they better be able to get up to speed with the X's and O's quickly ... or they're be history.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Hey Captn,

If you are looking for a WR with a high IQ that understands a system and learns quick check out McNutt. He's a converted QB that picked up the WR tree amazingly quick. Since he's coming from a QB's stance he might have an edge on knowing what QB's are looking for with open WR's and could find soft spots

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Current news/quotes...

"Melvin Ingram absolutely tearing it up his pro day today" "his positional drills workout was A+" "Good speed, balance, feet, COD, all with natural ball skills"

Reports on Alshon Jefferies 6'3 213 Pro Day, (4.49 40 and 6.71 3 cone | 36.5 vert and 10'2 broad). Tremendous pass catcher with strong hands and huge catching radius. Not a crisp route runner, limited route tree ability and knowledge but a true vertical threat. Fast enough and with that size and catchability makes him tough to defend.

"Whitney Mercilus could have Aldon Smith type rookie role if used as 3rd down rusher in 3-4. Maybe his ONLY NFL role. Fringe starter ceiling." ~sounds like Mark Andersons role with the Patriots to me...

"In this draft, if I didn't have a Top 10 pick or didn't have any glaring needs, I'd want as many late 2nd picks as possible" ~more obvious talk on how this draft is really very weak at the top...

"If you were looking for a #1 WR or a high impact DT, you shoulda taken one in 2011. Now, WR and DT deep, but more situational/scheme value"

"Jeffery, along with Whitney Merclius, Mohammed Sanu, Mike Adams, and Michael Brockers are talented, hyped guys that I don't want in round 1"

"Still not sold on Alshon Jeffery as Top 32 pick, but I will say that he's one of just 2-3 guys in WR class that have true, #1 WR potential."

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Current news/quotes... "Melvin Ingram absolutely tearing it up his pro day today" "his positional drills workout was A+" "Good speed, balance, feet, COD, all with natural ball skills" Reports on Alshon Jefferies 6'3 213 Pro Day, (4.49 40 and 6.71 3 cone | 36.5 vert and 10'2 broad). Tremendous pass catcher with strong hands and huge catching radius. Not a crisp route runner, limited route tree ability and knowledge but a true vertical threat. Fast enough and with that size and catchability makes him tough to defend. " Whitney Mercilus could have Aldon Smith type rookie role if used as 3rd down rusher in 3-4. Maybe his ONLY NFL role. Fringe starter ceiling." ~sounds like Mark Andersons role with the Patriots to me... " In this draft, if I didn't have a Top 10 pick or didn't have any glaring needs, I'd want as many late 2nd picks as possible" ~more obvious talk on how this draft is really very weak at the top... " If you were looking for a #1 WR or a high impact DT, you shoulda taken one in 2011. Now, WR and DT deep, but more situational/scheme value" " Jeffery, along with Whitney Merclius, Mohammed Sanu, Mike Adams, and Michael Brockers are talented, hyped guys that I don't want in round 1" " Still not sold on Alshon Jeffery as Top 32 pick, but I will say that he's one of just 2-3 guys in WR class that have true, #1 WR potential."
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

Sounds about right. It's a deep draft in the front 7 and WR positions but not a particularly talented draft.

Makes you wish we traded up for Watt or Smith right now. I guess the good news is the first 4 picks we have are in particularly good position for where the top end of the depth should start. But, I wouldn't get my hopes up for an impact player this year

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

100 names of NON FBS School players and their estimated draft round grades.

Enjoy...

1 - Janoris Jenkins - CB - North Alabama - 1st

2 - Brian Quick - WR - Appalachian State - 2nd

3 - BJ Coleman - QB - Chattanooga - 3rd
    4 - Ryan Steed - CB - Furman - 3rd
    5 - Micah Pellerin - CB - Hampton - 3rd
    6 - Amini Silatolu - OG - Midwestern State - 3rd

7 - Thomas Mayo - WR - California PA - 4th
    8 - Josh Norman - CB - Coastal Carolina - 4th
    9 - Trumaine Johnson - CB - Montana - 4th
    10 - Asa Jackson - CB - Cal Poly - 4th
    11 - Adrian Hamilton - DE - Prairie View A&M - 4th

12 - Jeff Adams - OT - Columbia - 5th
    13 - Shawn Loiseau - ILB - Merrimack - 5th
    14 - Dale Moss - WR - South Dakota State - 5th
    15 - Aston Whiteside - DE - Abilene Christian - 5th

16 - Ryan Davis - DE - Bethune Cookman - 6th
    17 - Justin Bethel - S - Presbyterian - 6th
    18 - Rico Wallace - WR - Shenandoah - 6th
    19 - Tim Benford - WR - Tennessee Tech - 6th
    20 - Janzen Jackson - S - McNeese State - 6th
    21 - Julian Talley - WR - Umass - 6th

22 - Ronnie Cameron - DT - Old Dominion - 7th
    23 - Emil Igwenagu - TE - UMass - 7th
    24 - Brandon Harvey - ILB - Delaware State - 7th
    25 - Steven Peyton - S - Brown - 7th
    26 - Jeremy Lane - CB - Northwestern State - 7th
    27 - Robert De La Rosa - DT - Bucknell - 7th
    28 - Damon Harrison - DT - William Penn - 7th
    29 - Tom Compton - OT - South Dakota - 7th
    30 - Daryl Richardson - RB - Abilene Christian - 7th
    31 - Gino Gradkowski - OG - Delaware - 7th
    32 - Alex Tanney - QB - Monmouth (IL) - 7th
    33 - Ed Gainey - CB - Appalachian State - 7th
    34 - Jonathan Grimes - RB - William & Mary - 7th
    35 - Alex Tounkara - WR - Brown - 7th
    36 - Jake Trantin - ILB - William & Mary - 7th
    37 - DJ Bryant - DE - James Madison - 7th
    38 - Jayah Kaisamba - CB - Georgetown - 7th
    39 - Aaron Corp - QB - Richmond - 7th
    40 - Reggie Sandilands - ILB - Bethune Cookman - 7th

41 - David LeGree - QB - Hampton - PFA
    42 - Rishaw Johnson - OG - California PA - PFA
    43 - Alex Gottlieb - TE - William & Mary - FA
    44 - Dustin Waldron - OG - Portland State - PFA
    45 - Josue Ortiz - DT - Harvard - PFA
    46 - DeShawn Shead - S - Portland State - PFA
    47 - Tyler Butzler - OG - Wisconsin-Stout - PFA
    48 - Chris Greenwood - CB - Albion - PFA
    49 - Renard Williams - DT - Eastern Washington - PFA
    50 - Patrick Witt - QB - Yale - PFA
    51 - Cordell Bell - OG - Minnesota State - PFA
    52 - Tyler Holmes - OLB - UMass - PFA
    53 - Joe Long - OT - Wayne State - PFA
    54 - Casey Therriault - QB - Jackson State - PFA
    55 - Paul Cornick - OG - North Dakota State - PFA
    56 - Chris Summers - WR - Libery - PFA
    57 - DJ McNorton - RB - North Dakota State - PFA
    58 - Jeremy Jones - CB  Wayne State - PFA
    59 - Logan Kerr - CB - Ashland - PFA
    60 - Christian Thompson - S - South Carolina State - PFA
    61 - John van den Raadt - QB - Azusa Pacific - PFA
    62 - Tyler Hendrickson - OT - Concordia St. Paul - PFA
    63 - Trevor Kennedy - WR - Mercyhurst - PFA
    64 - Antonio Leak - OLB - Henderson State - PFA
    65 - Clarence Laster - CB - SW Oklahoma State - PFA
    66 - Chris Lum - QB - Lehigh - PFA
    67 - Jewel Hampton - RB - Southern Illinois - PFA
    68 - Kevin Hardy - WR - Citadel - PFA
    69 - Shea Allard - OT - Delaware - PFA
    70 - Chris Mayes - DE - Wesley - PFA
    71 - Delano Johnson - OLB - Bowie State - PFA
    72 - Nick Clark - ILB - Alfred - PFA
    73 - Mike Harris - RB - Murray State - PFA
    74 - Jeremy Blount - WR - South Dakota - PFA
    75 - Matt Veldman - TE - North Dakota State - PFA
    76 - Corey White - S - Samford - PFA

77 - Phillip Supernaw - TE - Ouchita Baptist - FA
    78 - Antonio Dennard - CB - Langston - FA
    79 - Zach Nash - OLB - Sacramento State - FA
    80 - Charles Deas - DT - Shaw - FA
    81 - Kyle Fiedorwicz - TE - North Central College - FA
    82 - Ashton Legget - RB - Illinois State - FA
    83 - Travaris Cadet - RB - Appalachian State - FA
    84 - Laron Scott - CB - Georgia Southern - FA
    85 - Keir Jeter - DE - Edinboro - FA
    86 - Pat Williams - OLB - James Madison - FA
    87 - Frank Wolf - RB - St. Francis - FA
    88 - Christian Bilukidi - DT - Georgia State - FA
    89 - Randy Colling - DT - Gannon - FA
    90 - Cody Eich - S - Minnesota-Duluth - FA
    91 - Tyler Osbourne - OLB - Southern Utah - FA
    92 - Rashaad Carter - WR - Tusculum - FA
    93 - Kavario Middleton - TE - Montana - FA
    94 - LaQuinton Evans - WR - Southern - FA
    95 - Josh Smith - WR - Kutztown - FA
    96 - Vittorio Ottenelli - OT - Colgate - FA
    97 - Roosevelt Kirk - DT - Stony Brook - FA
    98 - Lanny Kelly - CB - Howard - FA
    99 - Jamar Howard - WR - Central Missouri - FA
    100 - Ron Davis - WR - Stillman - FA
    101 - James Bowman - DT - St. Francis - FA

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Arkansas State linebacker DeMario Davis  who has always been penciled in as a weakside defender in a 4-3 alignment is now getting long looks from 3-4 teams.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Southern Mississippi  sleeper prospect Cordarro Law (6'1 1/2, 257) performed much better than scouts anticipated. Law, who accumulated 48 tackles for loss and 23 sacks the past three seasons, was branded as slow and unathletic by scouting services entering the season.

4.7 40, 4.32 shuttle

Now considered a late round prospect...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Southern Mississippi  sleeper prospect Cordarro Law (6'1 1/2, 257) performed much better than scouts anticipated. Law, who accumulated 48 tackles for loss and 23 sacks the past three seasons , was branded as slow and unathletic by scouting services entering the season. 4.7 40, 4.32 shuttle Now considered a late round prospect...
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

This makes me proud that I had him as a possible 7th round pick a couple of pages back. I might cry

BTW anyone else want to send this thread to the Pats and see if they would hire us as consultants for minimum wage? Heck I'd do it just to get a chance to sit in the draft room on draft day.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : This makes me proud that I had him as a possible 7th round pick a couple of pages back. I might cry BTW anyone else want to send this thread to the Pats and see if they would hire us as consultants for minimum wage? Heck I'd do it just to get a chance to sit in the draft room on draft day.
    Posted by PatsEng

Makes you feel pretty good when a feeling that you have on a player is validated.

Yeah, would love to spend draft day in their War Room... or atleast watch it on PPV... I'd pay $100 to watch that!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Current news/quotes... "Melvin Ingram absolutely tearing it up his pro day today" "his positional drills workout was A+" "Good speed, balance, feet, COD, all with natural ball skills" Reports on Alshon Jefferies 6'3 213 Pro Day, (4.49 40 and 6.71 3 cone | 36.5 vert and 10'2 broad). Tremendous pass catcher with strong hands and huge catching radius. Not a crisp route runner, limited route tree ability and knowledge but a true vertical threat. Fast enough and with that size and catchability makes him tough to defend. " Whitney Mercilus could have Aldon Smith type rookie role if used as 3rd down rusher in 3-4. Maybe his ONLY NFL role. Fringe starter ceiling." ~sounds like Mark Andersons role with the Patriots to me... " In this draft, if I didn't have a Top 10 pick or didn't have any glaring needs, I'd want as many late 2nd picks as possible" ~more obvious talk on how this draft is really very weak at the top... " If you were looking for a #1 WR or a high impact DT, you shoulda taken one in 2011. Now, WR and DT deep, but more situational/scheme value" " Jeffery, along with Whitney Merclius, Mohammed Sanu, Mike Adams, and Michael Brockers are talented, hyped guys that I don't want in round 1" " Still not sold on Alshon Jeffery as Top 32 pick, but I will say that he's one of just 2-3 guys in WR class that have true, #1 WR potential."
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

I haven't been nearly as high on Mercilus in Rd 1 than most (R 2 I like him much better); I just don't see a dynamic player on tape, looks to slow to read/react and straightlined to me.  I had also posted a month or two ago, that I don't even think he's the best pass rush prospect on his own team (would give that tag to 6-6 240 Jr LB Michael Buchanan, he's a name that I expect to hear discussed on the 2013 thread).  He looks much more explosive and active than Mercilus, IMO.

I've also been on Jeffery as a buy low Rd 2 kid (Rd 1 talent), despite the fact that their are conflicting reports out there on him, some of which classify him as a shitehead.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Been thinking, what happens if BB doesn't draft an OLB?  Do they even have options at that time other than maybe a trade which is almost impossible after the draft.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Been thinking, what happens if BB doesn't draft an OLB?  Do they even have options at that time other than maybe a trade which is almost impossible after the draft.
    Posted by Pats7393

Then my fear is we are stuck with who we have. If this is the case, lets pray Cunningham and MCarter make a jump in a big way.
    we also have the kid from Oakland. I'm not putting much stock in him given his recent past. We absolutely NEED to draft an OLB or two.

Sections
Shortcuts