***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : i want one of the huge receivers added in the 2nd as our outside receiver. you cant teach that size, speed, hands, body control, and some have good rout running already. yes, my draft approach is changed. i think the biggest weakness on offense i think now is center. if we give brady more time, he makes use of the weapons. this makes getting the best center in the draft top priority. so i make konz #1 priority (or if scar likes someone as well or more than konz, go there). a potential feature back in udfa get 1 of still, brockers, reyes (or wolfe backup) in the other round 1 pick round 2 safety or cb (whichever bb needs more- only he knows his plans for devin m) or guy who plays both. round 2 other pick, one of the huge productive wrs slot wr in 3 or 4 defense in the other pick de/olb
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

I just want WR's that can beat press, seperate, catch the football and make plays down the field/create after the catch.  If that WR is tall/huge, excellent, but it's certainly not a prerequisite. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

[QUOTE]I'm blowing up every single mock I had done, this draft will be about value vs best player available.  With everyone they have signed there's not major gap except for OLB and DE but I'm sure by time draft comes around they would had signed either anderson or carter or both. This one will be about going into the draft with no need (major) to pick best available or if any player is not worth that pick, trade move down pickup for 2013
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

I hope it means he's focusing on the D since the talent level on that side of the ball could use some significant improvement (witness Low and Faucet arguing about Barrett - the issue is that it's embarrasing that he's even considered our starting S).

Seriously, other than Wilfork, Mayo, McCourty (and the jury is still out) and maybe Chung, is there anyone else on that side of the ball who you wouldn't consider for a talent-level upgrade? Everyone else is close to JAG status.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I just want WR's that can beat press, seperate, catch the football and make plays down the field/create after the catch.  If that WR is tall/huge, excellent, but it's certainly not a prerequisite. 
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

iu agree with waht youve requested and will add if that guy is 6 2+ 220+ and can leap and has body control, he is going to be harder to defend in the areas you have outlined

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I hope it means he's focusing on the D since the talent level on that side of the ball could use some significant improvement (witness Low and Faucet arguing about Barrett - the issue is that it's embarrasing that he's even considered our starting S). Seriously, other than Wilfork, Mayo, McCourty (and the jury is still out) and maybe Chung, is there anyone else on that side of the ball who you wouldn't consider for a talent-level upgrade? Everyone else is close to JAG status.
    Posted by sml1210[/QUOTE]

agreed, but with a weker center, this can destroy our abilty to opereate our offense. and this is a rare year with so many very good receivers coming out. every team in the nfl that needs one can get one.

so c, wr and defense.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I hope it means he's focusing on the D since the talent level on that side of the ball could use some significant improvement (witness Low and Faucet arguing about Barrett - the issue is that it's embarrasing that he's even considered our starting S). Seriously, other than Wilfork, Mayo, McCourty (and the jury is still out) and maybe Chung, is there anyone else on that side of the ball who you wouldn't consider for a talent-level upgrade? Everyone else is close to JAG status.
    Posted by sml1210[/QUOTE]

Yes I think it does, this is what I'm thinking.  He will play a rookie DE because their reads and assignments are easier than OLBs so I'm looking at Reyes as the perfect fit for the RDE spot.

At FS, I think the idea of having a CB converted to FS is what most teams are looking for specially in a weak S draft.  THe ability to have a FS come down and cover a WR is a most.

I don't expect a high pick on an OLB, he just doesn't trust rookies with all those reads.  I'm working on my updated mock, which probably won't be too well received lol  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

[QUOTE]I'm blowing up every single mock I had done, this draft will be about value vs best player available.  With everyone they have signed there's not major gap except for OLB and DE but I'm sure by time draft comes around they would had signed either anderson or carter or both. This one will be about going into the draft with no need (major) to pick best available or if any player is not worth that pick, trade move down pickup for 2013
    +1

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

given changes in denver and what weve done. after we are assured a top center and top d lineman, picking a versatile or outstanding cb/db is a high priority

janoris jenkins, lloka, robnison, gilmore, etc

then the big #1 wr

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

My question is that even though they are shopping at Filenes Basement ( read sensible signings now that the feeding frenzy has stopped ) with somewhat abandon , Do they have cap space to resign either Carter or Anderson?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Guys, my head is spinning.  First Manning signs in Denver, a move I called months ago, then the Pats go on a spending spree.  I did the math the other day, guys, we're broke.  In fact, we are beyond broke.  Technically, Welker, Hoyer and Love don't count against the cap until they sign but the moment Welker signs, he breaks the bank.  The Gallery signing was an interesting one, especially, that I never saw coming.  I see him only as a guard now.  Since we would be set at LG (the position he knows best) I assume we move him to RG and waive Waters.  Shame, I like Waters. 

Gallery is a beast in the run game.  He's average at best in the passing game.  We all know this.  I think BB is trying to make a statement.  BJGE was never going to be the back that could run out the clock.  We all know this too.  I bet BB is thinking what a lot of us were thinking, we need to be able to protect leads.  We could be looking at an improved passing attack complimented by a smash mouth run game.

Looking at the draft, and the roster, and the likelihood that BJGE is leaving, I would not be shocked if we took a RB pretty high.  We need a Corey Dillon type guy who you can't stop even when you know it's coming.  As crazy as this seems and to me too, I could see us getting a Doug Martin, David Wilson or Lamarr Miller or even a change of pace like LaMichael James.  I know none of you will agree with me, but if BJGE leaves, we have an open spot.  I don't think Polite or Faulk will be back.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : iu agree with waht youve requested and will add if that guy is 6 2+ 220+ and can leap and has body control, he is going to be harder to defend in the areas you have outlined
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

If he has to rely on those things you mentioned then he isn't any good at the things that MB listed in the first place. The latter is an excuse for the former. The players who have both go in the top 5 traditionally every year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : While I think he Coale could play some slot, I think he has the size, speed, quicks and skill set to win on the outside at the NFL level.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

So do I...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]Guys, my head is spinning.  First Manning signs in Denver, a move I called months ago, then the Pats go on a spending spree.  I did the math the other day, guys, we're broke.  In fact, we are beyond broke.  Technically, Welker, Hoyer and Love don't count against the cap until they sign but the moment Welker signs, he breaks the bank.  The Gallery signing was an interesting one, especially, that I never saw coming.  I see him only as a guard now.  Since we would be set at LG (the position he knows best) I assume we move him to RG and waive Waters.  Shame, I like Waters.  Gallery is a beast in the run game.  He's average at best in the passing game.  We all know this.  I think BB is trying to make a statement.  BJGE was never going to be the back that could run out the clock.  We all know this too.  I bet BB is thinking what a lot of us were thinking, we need to be able to protect leads.  We could be looking at an improved passing attack complimented by a smash mouth run game. Looking at the draft, and the roster, and the likelihood that BJGE is leaving, I would not be shocked if we took a RB pretty high.  We need a Corey Dillon type guy who you can't stop even when you know it's coming.  As crazy as this seems and to me too, I could see us getting a Doug Martin, David Wilson or Lamarr Miller or even a change of pace like LaMichael James.  I know none of you will agree with me, but if BJGE leaves, we have an open spot.  I don't think Polite or Faulk will be back.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

Although nothing ever surprises me with them when it comes to the draft so I certainly have no crystal ball by any means with their thinking but I personally do not see them drafting a RB, especially not high.

Doesn't make any sense to me really, even with BJGE possibly leaving. 

Would I be shocked or phased? Nope but to me it would say more about the position quality everywhere else in the draft and less about the need for a RB on the team. All indications however is that is not the case with this RB class. Outside of Richardson there is suppose to be an enormous drop off??

I do like Doug Martin though. Just not sure it matters without the commitment and not knowing how the parts they currently have fit into what ever McD has in mind.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

...From DraftAce

"Most mock drafts have linked the Patriots to a cornerback (or two) with their four 1st and 2nd round picks. But since they’re looking for depth more than just one playmaker, they don’t necessarily need to spend a high pick on the position.

The Patriots have reportedly scheduled pre-draft visits with LSU cornerback Ron Brooks and Omar Bolden of Arizona State.

Both prospects should come off the board no earlier than the 3rd round, but could each compete for playing time immediately in the Patriots secondary.

Bolden could be of particular interest to the Patriots, who aren’t afraid to gamble on prospects with high upside. Bolden’s stock has fallen considerably after missing most of the 2008 and all of the 2011 season with injuries. But when healthy, Bolden, who was a starter since his freshman year at Arizona State, has shown legitimate starter potential."

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE.... This one will be about going into the draft with no need (major) to pick best available or if any player is not worth that pick, trade move down pickup for 2013

i believe we will see more of the latter. the only hinge is if they find a trade partner.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]Guys, my head is spinning.  First Manning signs in Denver, a move I called months ago, then the Pats go on a spending spree.  I did the math the other day, guys, we're broke.  In fact, we are beyond broke.  Technically, Welker, Hoyer and Love don't count against the cap until they sign but the moment Welker signs, he breaks the bank.  The Gallery signing was an interesting one, especially, that I never saw coming.  I see him only as a guard now.  Since we would be set at LG (the position he knows best) I assume we move him to RG and waive Waters.  Shame, I like Waters.  Gallery is a beast in the run game.  He's average at best in the passing game.  We all know this.  I think BB is trying to make a statement.  BJGE was never going to be the back that could run out the clock.  We all know this too.  I bet BB is thinking what a lot of us were thinking, we need to be able to protect leads.  We could be looking at an improved passing attack complimented by a smash mouth run game. Looking at the draft, and the roster, and the likelihood that BJGE is leaving, I would not be shocked if we took a RB pretty high.  We need a Corey Dillon type guy who you can't stop even when you know it's coming.  As crazy as this seems and to me too, I could see us getting a Doug Martin, David Wilson or Lamarr Miller or even a change of pace like LaMichael James.  I know none of you will agree with me, but if BJGE leaves, we have an open spot.  I don't think Polite or Faulk will be back.

miller is maroney 2.0.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

SI's dueling Top 5 over-rated draft prospects...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]SI's dueling Top 5 over-rated draft prospects... http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/video/nfl/2012/03/14/031412.perloff_pauline_overrated.SportsIllustrated/?sct=nfl_bf2_a5
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]

i agree on poe, tannenhill and sanders
    i understand skepticism on upshaw and still

i disagree on richardson, kuechly and floyd
    i believe a big part of the reason that their positions did not make sense that high in the draft in the past had to do with the ridiculous cost to signing rookies. with the rookie cap, i believe the value equation changed and taking those positions that high is not much more okay if not perfectly okay

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Although nothing ever surprises me with them when it comes to the draft so I certainly have no crystal ball by any means with their thinking but I personally do not see them drafting a RB, especially not high. Doesn't make any sense to me really, even with BJGE possibly leaving.  Would I be shocked or phased? Nope but to me it would say more about the position quality everywhere else in the draft and less about the need for a RB on the team. All indications however is that is not the case with this RB class. Outside of Richardson there is suppose to be an enormous drop off?? I do like Doug Martin though. Just not sure it matters without the commitment and not knowing how the parts they currently have fit into what ever McD has in mind.
    possible loss of BJGE, not having seen anything to speak of from Vereen adds up to just Woodhead and Ridley which equals = possible draft pick at the position again.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : i agree on poe, tannenhill and sanders i understand skepticism on upshaw and still i disagree on richardson, kuechly and floyd i believe a big part of the reason that their positions did not make sense that high in the draft in the past had to do with the ridiculous cost to signing rookies. with the rookie cap, i believe the value equation changed and taking those positions that high is not much more okay if not perfectly okay
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]

i meant to say taking those positions that is now much more okay

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : possible loss of BJGE, not having seen anything to speak of from Vereen adds up to just Woodhead and Ridley which equals = possible draft pick at the position again.

i'm not going to say no to rb... i don;t see them picking up one until third rnd or third day.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : If he has to rely on those things you mentioned then he isn't any good at the things that MB listed in the first place. The latter is an excuse for the former. The players who have both go in the top 5 traditionally every year.

in a year like this with a boat load of good receivers coming out. more big receivers with some combination of the aforementioned will be sprinkled in the draftn beyond the top half of round 1.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : i'm not going to say no to rb... i don;t see them picking up one until third rnd or third day.
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]
    YOu live in SEA?  What's your take on the Gallery pick?  RG?  Will donte coach him up?

As for RB. don't rule it out.  Did you think we were going to burn a 2nd and 3rd last year on the position?  I wouldn't count out receiver either.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Crazy things happen on Draft Day, with 2 1st rounders, and if Richardson falls, you never know.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

I am making that call. We will take the kid with Saban's seal of approval.

We will strike a deal with Clev.

I think we need a combo at RB and Vereen and Richardson will be perfect. Both can catch out of the backfield, very similar players. The diff i see in watching film of the two is that T.Rich is just a bit more solid ( Vereen is underated on his size ) and the big diff is Richardson has a knack for making the defender miss and keeping his momentum upfield. He moves such a small amount and fakes guys out of there shoes. Alot of RB jump step on deke moves and comit themselves to early. Rich can deke three times in a microsecond and not comit till the defender gives it away. Very hard to master skill. I don't see any dancing in his game.

What would it take to get that done I am unsure. Hoyer and Ridley might both be attractive players on top of the needed picks.

How about Mallet??? Clev might be chomping at the bit for Mallet after a quiet year behind Brady. Funny I have not heard anyone mention him as trade bait these days, only Hoyer on the bus out of town.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I am making that call. We will take the kid with Saban's seal of approval. We will strike a deal with Clev. I think we need a combo at RB and Vereen and Richardson will be perfect. Both can catch out of the backfield, very similar players. The diff i see in watching film of the two is that T.Rich is just a bit more solid ( Vereen is underated on his size ) and the big diff is Richardson has a knack for making the defender miss and keeping his momentum upfield. He moves such a small amount and fakes guys out of there shoes. Alot of RB jump step on deke moves and comit themselves to early. Rich can deke three times in a microsecond and not comit till the defender gives it away. Very hard to master skill. I don't see any dancing in his game. What would it take to get that done I am unsure. Hoyer and Ridley might both be attractive players on top of the needed picks. How about Mallet??? Clev might be chomping at the bit for Mallet after a quiet year behind Brady. Funny I have not heard anyone mention him as trade bait these days, only Hoyer on the bus out of town.
    Posted by Asher77[/QUOTE]

till mallet proves he is not bradys successor, mallet isnt going anywhere.
    cleveland's pick is too high.