***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!

Well Mallet may have already proved he is not Brady's protege (don't think this is the case, just possible ).
    We all think Brady has a few good years left and it is a hard sell to keep a guy with talent sitting on the pine. Two more years maybe, but if Brady plays more than that I think we lose Mallet. Why not cash a chip in when it may not ever be higher. If we project Hoyer as a capable backup and signed him at 1.9M then Mallet is expendable. A chip used now is good value when you consider it may only be as useful again 5 years down the road. Why trade him next year or the year after? His name will fade some over time, right now he is still a shining talent in people's minds and the political stink of picking him high in the draft has washed off in the cleansing Patriot water.

Clev needs a QB ( heck they are talking Tannehill ), we might have to get to 4 to secure Richardson.

Mallet, #27 and #48 could get it close to done? Humor me please, what would you think it takes to move up? I don't see the Redskins deal as much of a factor here ( no franchise QB on line ). I also see Mallet as equal to a mid first to a desperate team lacking in franchise QB potential.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

by the way, today both matt williamson and ross tucker think wimbley would be a perfect fit in new england as a 34 outside lb.

doestn look like it.
    but if ww signed, i seriously consider shopping him for a 1 or high 2 and use the $ to try to land wimbley, 3 years(or 4 doesnt matter since not guaranteed), 1 guaranteed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!:
    [QUOTE]Well Mallet may have already proved he is not Brady's protege (don't think this is the case, just possible ). We all think Brady has a few good years left and it is a hard sell to keep a guy with talent sitting on the pine. Two more years maybe, but if Brady plays more than that I think we lose Mallet. Why not cash a chip in when it may not ever be higher. If we project Hoyer as a capable backup and signed him at 1.9M then Mallet is expendable. A chip used now is good value when you consider it may only be as useful again 5 years down the road. Why trade him next year or the year after? His name will fade some over time, right now he is still a shining talent in people's minds and the political stink of picking him high in the draft has washed off in the cleansing Patriot water. Clev needs a QB ( heck they are talking Tannehill ), we might have to get to 4 to secure Richardson. Mallet, #27 and #48 could get it close to done? Humor me please, what would you think it takes to move up? I don't see the Redskins deal as much of a factor here ( no franchise QB on line ). I also see Mallet as equal to a mid first to a desperate team lacking in franchise QB potential.
    Posted by Asher77[/QUOTE]

id do neither trade all that nor trade mallet at this point.
    on record as wanting to shop hoyer.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

where ya been rame?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : YOu live in SEA?  What's your take on the Gallery pick?  RG?  Will donte coach him up? As for RB. don't rule it out.   Did you think we were going to burn a 2nd and 3rd last year on the position?  I wouldn't count out receiver either.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

Mankins insurance. It's been reported Logan had acl surgery post SB.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : possible loss of BJGE, not having seen anything to speak of from Vereen adds up to just Woodhead and Ridley which equals = possible draft pick at the position again.

Not anything to speak of? Given his limited reps he flashed superbly. Again, rookie, no off season OTA, Established personnel in front of him for Pats to rely on. No place or need for him at that time to be rushed into service. He only played in two games. You can only judge him on his opportunities and the situations of the games. He might have not faired well against the Eagles but go look at the box scores. NO Pats RB did squat in that game. In fact Brady was the 2nd leading rusher in that game with the highest avg. His only other game was against the Chiefs where he had a 4.9 avg. a long of 19 yards and a touchdown.

In fact I would argue the fact that they are not worry about losing BJGE speaks to the Pats liking and feeling comfortable with what they have. Especially given that they seem content with sinking or swimming on Bradys arm.

Not saying it won't happen or you that you are wrong in anyway. I just don't see it. Not when they, for two seasons, went with two UDFA RB's and now have two brand new young running backs they just spent 2nd and 3rd round picks on. Add to that the fact that most of the leagues top rushing leaders of recent drafts have been drafted later or not drafted at all.

Finally, I have heard from posters saying how we need a guy like Dillon. Well he's one of maybe the top 12-15 RB's in league history in my opinion. Not easy to come by. Also people say we need a running back who you can't stop even though you know it's coming. No such thing. Adrian Peterson, widely considered the best back in the league at the moment, can't even do that. Last season Peterson was held well under 4 yards a carry in four games.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : in a year like this with a boat load of good receivers coming out. more big receivers with some combination of the aforementioned will be sprinkled in the draftn beyond the top half of round 1.
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

Yes because it is considered a deep, as far as depth goes, class. ...Not a deep as far as "elite" class. Those same mid level guys going this year are the same as other years, just more of them available. Those  guys are not your Calvin Johnson, AJ Green, or Randy Moss guys who have all the attributes. It's been said by many a scout that even Blackmon who will be the 1st receiver taken isn't really considered elite or in the class of those types of top 10 WR's.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : i agree on poe, tannenhill and sanders i understand skepticism on upshaw and still i disagree on richardson, kuechly and floyd i believe a big part of the reason that their positions did not make sense that high in the draft in the past had to do with the ridiculous cost to signing rookies. with the rookie cap, i believe the value equation changed and taking those positions that high is not much more okay if not perfectly okay
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing when I was listening...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : YOu live in SEA?  What's your take on the Gallery pick?  RG?  Will donte coach him up? As for RB. don't rule it out.  Did you think we were going to burn a 2nd and 3rd last year on the position?  I wouldn't count out receiver either.

Love it as long as he's healthy. Mankins had knee issues all year and played through it and even had ACL surgery this off season. Gallery can play just about anywhere on the line and has been good. People's perceptions of him are worse because he was picked so high and then later kicked inside to play guard. He played at Iowa, they produced good OL's consistently. He's been a consistent starter at the NFL level. He'll be in Scars hands. He's extremely versatile. You have back issues with Vollmer, Concussions with Solder, Waters potential retirement and his own knee issue he dealt with last season just like Mankins. They signed Fells but no reason Gallery can't play as the extra Tackle in the TE spot if it was needed either. No downside.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]where ya been rame?
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

left this thread for a bit, action is going to really heat up in a few weeks tho

what do you think about our two first rd picks, or a 1st 2nd and Mallet/Hoyer for Trent Richardson/pick 4 bred?

mb has to give us a new mock as soon as free agency seems over

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : left this thread for a bit, action is going to really heat up in a few weeks tho what do you think about our two first rd picks, or a 1st 2nd and Mallet/Hoyer for Trent Richardson/pick 4 bred? mb has to give us a new mock as soon as free agency seems over
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

Have a pretty good idea of where I'd like to see them go in Rds 2-7 (assuming they pick up a pick or 2 between Rd 5-7), but my brain is all over the map when it comes to Rd 1.  I have players in mind (listed on my board thread), just not sure where to place them, ha.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Yes because it is considered a deep, as far as depth goes, class. ...Not a deep as far as "elite" class. Those same mid level guys going this year are the same as other years, just more of them available. Those  guys are not your Calvin Johnson, AJ Green, or Randy Moss guys who have all the attributes. It's been said by many a scout that even Blackmon who will be the 1st receiver taken isn't really considered elite or in the class of those types of top 10 WR's.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]

agreed, hope you know that is not what i was saying. 
    there are many big receivers in the league who are hard to stop who are not calvin johnson.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : left this thread for a bit, action is going to really heat up in a few weeks tho what do you think about our two first rd picks, or a 1st 2nd and Mallet/Hoyer for Trent Richardson/pick 4 bred? mb has to give us a new mock as soon as free agency seems over

personaly i would love to have richardson. i love his game.
    however that is just too rich for me. if we had less needs maybe.
    wouldnt trade mallet at this point till we know hes nort bradys successor.
    glad to read your posts.
    good day man.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Been working on my mock and I'm a bit surprised not by much though that Konz stock is falling.  Not surprised too much because I really haven't been extremely high on him, too much of an injury guy.  Hasn't played a full season in college, don't think he will stay healthy in the pros.  

Reason why I much rather they draft a 26 year old Blake!  Has been very productive, impressed at every offseason workout be bowl, combine ect  This guy is a mature not beat up too much interior OL with experience at OT.  He's versatility is something the Pats like.  

So, part of my mock will include Mr. Blake the others I'm still unsure because by this point have to look at what trade partners are out there for pick 31.  One team I'm looking at is Atlanta.  They know Gonzo is probably on his last year.  They need to stepup and improve their D.  They need a CB and a pass rusher opposite Abraham, 31 is a perfect spot for getting one of those.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I like Blake in rd 3 as a guy who can play C/G and be very solid

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]I like Blake in rd 3 as a guy who can play C/G and be very solid

a center guard guy would be ideal.
    but again, i still look for the guy car sees the most in.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Blake, Jones, Molk... cross your fingers and hope one is there at 95

go defense with the first 4 picks (and keep them!) and it'll put a smile on my face

be nice to add a 3rd rd pick for Hoyer as well, and while we're at it a 4th (greedy) or 5th (fair) for Edelman, one we know we have Welker locked into a nice deal.

So Pats can use one 3rd on a C and one can be used on a WR (specifically one who is either a tall burner or a great return guy).

I like Joe Adams, not b/c I have really seen him play, I maybe watched Arkansas twice, but his youtube highlight reel is pretty good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtd2pNdsWUU

can't go wrong with the SEC special teams player of the year if he is hanging around in the 75-90 range. Then again, you're talking a guy who can play slot and outside, he'd replace Branch and later Welker in the system. Have to think he might not be around unless we take him at 63.

Oh and catching 79 passes from Mallett for almost 1,300 yards and 13 TD's in 22 games in '09 and '10 only makes a stronger case for him

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Blake, Jones, Molk... cross your fingers and hope one is there at 95 go defense with the first 4 picks (and keep them!) and it'll put a smile on my face be nice to add a 3rd rd pick for Hoyer as well, and while we're at it a 4th (greedy) or 5th (fair) for Edelman, one we know we have Welker locked into a nice deal. So Pats can use one 3rd on a C and one can be used on a WR (specifically one who is either a tall burner or a great return guy). I like Joe Adams, not b/c I have really seen him play, I maybe watched Arkansas twice, but his youtube highlight reel is pretty good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtd2pNdsWUU can't go wrong with the SEC special teams player of the year if he is hanging around in the 75-90 range. Then again, you're talking a guy who can play slot and outside, he'd replace Branch and later Welker in the system. Have to think he might not be around unless we take him at 63. Oh and catching 79 passes from Mallett for almost 1,300 yards and 13 TD's in 22 games in '09 and '10 only makes a stronger case for him

I absolutely love the Razorback WR's, currently have them rated Childs/Adams/Wright.  Have studied Childs a lot more since the combine and I love what I've seen... very good size/speed combo, very good hands and ball skills, no fear going over the middle, excellent motor/effort, can create after the catch and is a willing blocker... he also seems like a pretty intelligent/well spoken kid.  Not a pure make you miss type with elite speed/quicks like Adams, but has the enough suddenness/COD to fit in well in their scheme and is just a very good WR that can/will win for you on the outside, IMO... also love that he has a plenty of experience both working with Ryan Mallet and in a pro-style offense. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Chase Minnifield is dropping according to some mocks

Best case for me for Hoyer is the Browns pick in rd 3, whats that #68?

I'd take this approach:

If Barron is there at 27, or even slides to 23-26, take him, move up with pick 63 (get back a pick in the  80's) if you have to.

Take Worthy or Reyes at 31 (I don't think Still, Brockers or Cox will be here)

If Barron goes before 22... take whoever is there at 27 of Still, Brockers, Cox or worst case Reyes/Worthy.

See if anyone notable falls to 31 (Konz, Hightower, Glenn, Jenkins being the likely ones we wouldn't let past us there)

I don't think Bill will take a hybrid DE/OLB. Let's say that all the guys he'd grad right up at 31 are gone. I say trade the pick back 10-15 spaces and add future picks. prob not a 2013 #1, but def a 2013 #2.

So now we have 2 picks in the 40's. Gotta take a linebacker here. Bill has to decide if he wants to play more 4-3 (Zach Brown, LaVonte David, Bobby Wagner, Mychal Kendricks - all fly all over the field) or if we are going to play more 3-4 (Ronnell Lewis, Chandler Jones, Shea McClellin).

With the other pick, prob the higher one, we could go secomdary. If we got Barron already then it's a CB (maybe Gilmore falls this far... Hosley Minnifield, Boykin some other decent guys should be here). No Barron then a FS type (Smith, Iloka, Trumaine Robinson, Dennard, Markelle Martin). Or we may find a De/DT like Thompson/Wolfe here to our liking.

If we still have pick 63 I would take Adams there. At 68 if only one of the C's I mentioned (Blake, Jones, Molk) are left take him, if 2-3 are left then trade pick 64 for a 2nd rounder in '13 and a 6th or 7th this year and use pick 95 on the Center, trading up with the new 6th/7th pick you acquired if it looks like they will all be gone by 85.

If we don't have 63 (meaning we have one in the 80's) then take Adams w/ the pick we get for Hoyer (68) and assume one of the Centers is there in the 80's.

Take Ryan Broyles at 95 (luxury pick who probably spends next season on the IR, at the very least the 6 week PUP, then replaces Branch).

Finally go best available in the 4th rd. Maybe a G/T like Nate Potter Mankins (knee) Light/Waters (retirement, tho decisions are prob made by draft time) and Vollmer (back) all have some questions.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Chase Minnifield is dropping according to some mocks Best case for me for Hoyer is the Browns pick in rd 3, whats that #68? I'd take this approach: If Barron is there at 27, or even slides to 23-26, take him, move up with pick 63 (get back a pick in the  80's) if you have to. Take Worthy or Reyes at 31 (I don't think Still, Brockers or Cox will be here) If Barron goes before 22... take whoever is there at 27 of Still, Brockers, Cox or worst case Reyes/Worthy. See if anyone notable falls to 31 (Konz, Hightower, Glenn, Jenkins being the likely ones we wouldn't let past us there) I don't think Bill will take a hybrid DE/OLB. Let's say that all the guys he'd grad right up at 31 are gone. I say trade the pick back 10-15 spaces and add future picks. prob not a 2013 #1, but def a 2013 #2. So now we have 2 picks in the 40's. Gotta take a linebacker here. Bill has to decide if he wants to play more 4-3 (Zach Brown, LaVonte David, Bobby Wagner, Mychal Kendricks - all fly all over the field) or if we are going to play more 3-4 (Ronnell Lewis, Chandler Jones, Shea McClellin). With the other pick, prob the higher one, we go secondary. If we got Barron already then it's a CB (maybe Gilmore falls this far... Hosley Minnifield, Boykin some other decent guys should be here). No Barron then a FS type (Smith, Iloka, Trumaine Robinson, Dennard, Markelle Martin). If we still have pick 63 I would take Adams there. At 64 if only one of the C's I mentioned (Blake, Jones, Molk) are left take him, if 2-3 are left then trade pick 64 for a 2nd rounder in '13 and a 6th or 7th this year and use pick 95 on the Center, trading up with the new 6th/7th pick you acquired if it looks like they will all be gone by 85. If we don't have 63 (meaning we have one in the 80's) then take Adams w/ the pick we get for Hoyer (68) and assume one of the Centers is there in the 80's. Take Ryan Broyles at 95 (luxury pick who probably spends next season on the IR, at the very least the 6 week PUP, then replaces Branch). Finally go best available in the 4th rd. Maybe a G/T like Nate Potter Mankins (knee) Light/Waters (retirement, tho decisions are prob made by draft time) and Vollmer (back) all have some questions.

I'd agree, Barron @ 27, Reyes @ 31 is what I currently have on my latest mock (not yet posted).  Also agree that they should move up for Barron if they feel they need to land him in the early 20's.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I absolutely love the Razorback WR's, currently have them rated Childs/Adams/Wright.  Have studied Childs a lot more since the combine and I love what I've seen... very good size/speed combo, very good hands and ball skills, no fear going over the middle, excellent motor/effort, can create after the catch and is a willing blocker... he also seems like a pretty intelligent/well spoken kid.  Not a pure make you miss type with elite speed/quicks like Adams, but has the enough suddenness/COD to fit in well in their scheme and is just a very good WR that can/will win for you on the outside, IMO... also love that he has a plenty of experience both working with Ryan Mallet and in a pro-style offense. 
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

Yeah Mallet def had some help making him into a top prospect with eye boggling stats

Walter football just updated there mocks and gives the Pats Child's in rd 3

I would only prefer him to Adams if we get a CB who will return kicks

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

The Walterfootball elections right now of:

Still
    Barron
    Curry
    Dwight Bentely (not very familiar with him)
    Childs
    Paige-Moss

would be awesome

get another pick for one of those 3 C's (Hones, Blake, Molk) and that is a heck of a draft

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Yeah Mallet def had some help making him into a top prospect with eye boggling stats Walter football just updated there mocks and gives the Pats Child's in rd 3 I would only prefer him to Adams if we get a CB who will return kicks

Adams is def a huge weapon in the PR game, but don't believe he's done much as a KR.  Jayron Hosley, who I love as a big play/ball hawk CB in Rd 2, is a kid that can also impact in the PR game.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : YOu live in SEA?  What's your take on the Gallery pick?  RG?  Will donte coach him up? As for RB. don't rule it out.  Did you think we were going to burn a 2nd and 3rd last year on the position?  I wouldn't count out receiver either.

did not really watch much of the seahawks this year (i don't like carroll). and i did not really pay attention to gallery when i did. i did notice that their run plays opened up wider lanes for lynch this year than they did last. i believe gallery was a factor. i think he's average on pass protect.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to "Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I'd agree, Barron @ 27, Reyes @ 31 is what I currently have on my latest mock (not yet posted).  Also agree that they should move up for Barron if they feel they need to land him in the early 20's. Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE] Barron and Reyes round 1 is a mock I have had in the recent weeks. I see curry possibly cracking round 1, and Reyes might be had round 2 with our Oakland pick or a slight trade up. I don't think curry lasts until our Oakland pick after his recent work and past production. What does BB think of curry? I think BB grabs a olb/ de with 1 of our first 4 picks. My preference is curry or branch as guys that can do both, and if he is looking for more of a pure olb, then my vote is for Ronnell Lewis or mcllelin. Here is what I would like to see happen... 1a Barron 1b curry 2a Reyes 2b Hosley 3 Adams is my preference, or Blake 2nd ( depends on what they do with guys like Edelman, branch, Ocho, etc)