***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!

27 DT/DE Kendall Reyes 6'4" 300lbs  
    31 Traded Atlanta 2013 1st Rnd and 2012 # 55 and 181
    48 Traded to Cinci for 53 and 116  
    53 DE/OLB  Vinny Curry 6'3" 263lbs  
    55 FS/CB Leonard Johnson 5'10" 196lbs  
    63 RB Chris Polk 5'11" 215lbs  
    94 WR Marvin Jones 6'2" 200lbs  
    116 C/OG Phillip Blake 6'2" 311lbs  
    126 DT/DE Derek Wolfe 6'5" 298lbs  
    181 DE/OLB  Jacquies Smith 6'3" 255lbs  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! :  a center guard guy would be ideal. but again, i still look for the guy car sees the most in.
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

The ONLY center draft prospect that is ready to play NOW is Konz.  With the time clock ticking on TB's remaining productive years the old method of "coaching-up" a center prospect that could be ready in 2-3 years no longer applies.  We need an upgrade now and for the next 10 years...An upgrade to promote a better running game now  and better TB protection as well.  What good is a wr if TB doesn't have the time to execute the long pass  or to check primary/secondary receivers etc. What happens if Connelly is injured and we need immediate help at the center position? Will Jones be as ready as Konz?

I realize that my opinions are not popular and that BB will, in the end, find a way to astonish us once again but IMO the safest pick at #27 is the BPA!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : The ONLY center draft prospect that is ready to play NOW is Konz.  With the time clock ticking on TB's remaining productive years the old method of "coaching-up" a center prospect that could be ready in 2-3 years no longer applies.  We need an upgrade now and for the next 10 years...An upgrade to promote a better running game now  and better TB protection as well.  What good is a wr if TB doesn't have the time to execute the long pass  or to check primary/secondary receivers etc. What happens if Connelly is injured and we need immediate help at the center position? Will Jones be as ready as Konz? I realize that my opinions are not popular and that BB will, in the end, find a way to astonish us once again but IMO the safest pick at #27 is the BPA!
    Posted by moskk[/QUOTE]

1) How do you know? Simply because he's expected to be the 1st Center taken?

2) Why doesn't it? They have a center signed who played and started successfully on a team that almost won the superbowl with him at center last season.

3) Promote? So you are suggesting getting Konz will all of a sudden persuade BB to suddenly take the ball out of his best players hands more often?

4) TB isn't even very good at throwing the long pass but even with him being OK at it how many games can you think of where he doesn't have time to throw down field? You can probably count them on one hand.

5) The Pats played 4 different centers due to injury last year, all seemingly with a good amount of success.

6) Sort of. First it has to be the BPA for the Patriots system. Not the best player available period. They team build, not collect talent. Secondly there may be 5 BPA's at #27. There could be any number of players with an identical grade available to them. They could take the player who fits thier highest need or simply try and trade down a few spots and take which player is left of the grouping.

The offense will be fine no matter what they do in the draft. Stand pat, draft a C, or RB, or WR, etc. Doesn't matter.

They need to stay healthy on defense and add more depth or potential starting upgrades.

Can't always stay on the field:
    -----------------------------
    Ihedigbo
    Chung
    Barret
    Dowling
    Mayo
    Spikes
    Fletcher
    Brace
    Pryor
    Tarpinian

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!": Barron and Reyes round 1 is a mock I have had in the recent weeks. I see curry possibly cracking round 1, and Reyes might be had round 2 with our Oakland pick or a slight trade up. I don't think curry lasts until our Oakland pick after his recent work and past production. What does BB think of curry? I think BB grabs a olb/ de with 1 of our first 4 picks. My preference is curry or branch as guys that can do both, and if he is looking for more of a pure olb, then my vote is for Ronnell Lewis or mcllelin. Here is what I would like to see happen... 1a Barron 1b curry 2a Reyes 2b Hosley 3 Adams is my preference, or Blake 2nd ( depends on what they do with guys like Edelman, branch, Ocho, etc)
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

give me 2 wr, 1 slot and 1 big outside receiver

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]27 DT/DE Kendall Reyes 6'4" 300lbs   31 Traded Atlanta 2013 1st Rnd and 2012 # 55 and 181 48 Traded to Cinci for 53 and 116   53 DE/OLB  Vinny Curry 6'3" 263lbs   55 FS/CB Leonard Johnson 5'10" 196lbs   63 RB Chris Polk 5'11" 215lbs   94 WR Marvin Jones 6'2" 200lbs   116 C/OG Phillip Blake 6'2" 311lbs   126 DT/DE Derek Wolfe 6'5" 298lbs   181 DE/OLB  Jacquies Smith 6'3" 255lbs  
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

not bad.
    how much will we get out of smith?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : The ONLY center draft prospect that is ready to play NOW is Konz.  With the time clock ticking on TB's remaining productive years the old method of "coaching-up" a center prospect that could be ready in 2-3 years no longer applies.  We need an upgrade now and for the next 10 years...An upgrade to promote a better running game now  and better TB protection as well.  What good is a wr if TB doesn't have the time to execute the long pass  or to check primary/secondary receivers etc. What happens if Connelly is injured and we need immediate help at the center position? Will Jones be as ready as Konz? I realize that my opinions are not popular and that BB will, in the end, find a way to astonish us once again but IMO the safest pick at #27 is the BPA!
    Posted by moskk[/QUOTE]

moskk i agree and you make some good points.
    but in the end, i'd give scar the choice (if someone is as good or better in his eyes and can play longterm here , esp at c or g, then id be ok waiting a year. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : 1) How do you know? Simply because he's expected to be the 1st Center taken? 2) Why doesn't it? They have a center signed who played and started successfully on a team that almost won the superbowl with him at center last season. 3) Promote? So you are suggesting getting Konz will all of a sudden persuade BB to suddenly take the ball out of his best players hands more often? 4) TB isn't even very good at throwing the long pass but even with him being OK at it how many games can you think of where he doesn't have time to throw down field? You can probably count them on one hand. 5) The Pats played 4 different centers due to injury last year, all seemingly with a good amount of success. 6) Sort of. First it has to be the BPA for the Patriots system. Not the best player available period. They team build, not collect talent. Secondly there may be 5 BPA's at #27. There could be any number of players with an identical grade available to them. They could take the player who fits thier highest need or simply try and trade down a few spots and take which player is left of the grouping. The offense will be fine no matter what they do in the draft. Stand pat, draft a C, or RB, or WR, etc. Doesn't matter. They need to stay healthy on defense and add more depth or potential starting upgrades. Can't always stay on the field: ----------------------------- Ihedigbo Chung Barret Dowling Mayo Spikes Fletcher Brace Pryor Tarpinian
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]

Most of your observations, if turned around, actually support taking Konz at #27.By way of example, virtually ALL of the D players are projections for defensive positions and all have significant question marks. Konz, on the other hand, is a center....the top rated center...and is NOT a projection.

When the Pats have a game-changer type player, as Konz has the potential to be, it's time to CHANGE the Pats system and not keep the status quo....which is itself a brain child of of the players then on board. BB always has featured a strategy of concealing our vulnerabilities and exploiting our strengths.  While we have been a pass dominated offense in the past it's only because we lacked a sound complementary running game.

As for TB usually having plenty of time to throw downfield, that occurs against weak defenses but when we discuss SB teams (like the Giants) we need the ability to withstand a stout defensive front 7 and counter with  a sound  running game that keeps defenses guessing and honest....

When the BPA is rated as a "blue-chip" prospect we need to stop REACHING for short term needs and start accumulating all pro prospects for the future! Konz should remain in the discussion at #27.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

This is honestly the worst time to be a draftnik. There is nothing going on right now....

Does anyone have a list of who the Pats brought in for private workouts?

Also, does anyone have a list of colleges that BB is connected to? I know a couple but it'd be nice to have a list since he always takes a player from his coaching tree

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I'm getting close to setting my top 10 picks. It seems like everything is coming together at this point given FA so this is what I have (* denotes confidence in pick):

#1 Colts - Andrew Luck*
    #2 Was - RGIII*
    #3 Viks - Matt Kalil*
    #4 Clev - Morris Claiborne
    #5 TB - Trent Richardson
    #6 Stl - Justin Blackmon
    #7 Jax - Riley Reiff
    #8 Mia - Ryan Tannehill*
    #9 Car - Dontari Poe
    #10 Buf - Michael Floyd

As for us I see

#27 - Still/Brocker (I'm sure one will fall I'm just not sure which one) DT/DE
    #31 - Traded for a 3rd this year and a 1st next year
    #48 - Vinny Curry OLB/DE
    #63 - Trumaine Johnson CB/FS
    3rd received from trading #31 - Brain Quick WR
    #94 - traded for a 6th and a 2nd next year
    4th - traded for a 5th and 6th
    5th - Chris Rainey RB/PR/KR
    6th - Oliver Vernon DE/OLB (think Chris Avril type)
    6th - David Molk C

I can also see some players getting traded for picks. The players I'm thinking might get traded are: Hoyer to Clev or Tenn, Arrington to Dal, Brace to who ever would take him. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!": Barron and Reyes round 1 is a mock I have had in the recent weeks. I see curry possibly cracking round 1, and Reyes might be had round 2 with our Oakland pick or a slight trade up. I don't think curry lasts until our Oakland pick after his recent work and past production. What does BB think of curry? I think BB grabs a olb/ de with 1 of our first 4 picks. My preference is curry or branch as guys that can do both, and if he is looking for more of a pure olb, then my vote is for Ronnell Lewis or mcllelin. Here is what I would like to see happen... 1a Barron 1b curry 2a Reyes 2b Hosley 3 Adams is my preference, or Blake 2nd ( depends on what they do with guys like Edelman, branch, Ocho, etc)
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

Barron and Reyes round 1 is a mock I have had in the recent weeks. I see curry possibly cracking round 1, and Reyes might be had round 2 with our Oakland pick or a slight trade up. I don't think curry lasts until our Oakland pick after his recent work and past production. What does BB think of curry? I like Curry, I just don’t see them touching a conversion type in Rd 1 (Rd 2, definitely).  The only potential OLB’s that I could see them touching in Rd 1 are Upshaw, because he already plays the position, and Hightower, because he plays out of a two point stance already and has a good amount of experience rushing the passer off the edge, albeit out of a 3 point stance.

I think BB grabs a olb/ de with 1 of our first 4 picks. My preference is curry or branch as guys that can do both, and if he is looking for more of a pure olb, then my vote is for Ronnell Lewis or mcllelin.
    I could see that, yes.  I like McClellin, also have Cam Johnson as a very good option for them on Day 2 as he has a good amount of experience playing on his feet, has scheme versatility having played in both a 34 and 43 at Virginia.

Here is what I would like to see happen...
    1a Barron
    1b curry
    2a Reyes
    2b Hosley
    3 Adams is my preference, or Blake 2nd ( depends on what they do with guys like Edelman, branch, Ocho, etc)
    Would be any awesome haul (I currently have Hosley as my 2B as well, pure ballhawk/playmaker/pr ability)… I like Childs more than Adams right now, but would be very happy with Adams.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]You think if the Pats draft a Wideout this year, you think he will see the field? How many guys did they just sign? Just look after the Draft, and bring one in. 6 picks have to be smart.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

It's always possible for a rookie WR to see the field, yes.

Deep draft at the position, they should definitely be able to find some value from day 2 (Marvin Jones, Greg Childs, Rueben Randle, Chris Givens & Joe Adams etc.) and/or 3 (Devon Wylie, Danny Coale, Marvin McNutt, Jarius Wright & Ryan Broyles etc.)

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Probably if you were in the Draft room we would have a chance. Not with the Scouts now, just dont have faith in them, and WR position. Mean that as a compliment.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

Thanks, but they've prob forgot more than I'll ever know, ha.

I think the goods news is, McD hit on a couple of talent WR's during his time in Denver (Decker/Thomas), so I'm hoping that NE can benefit from that eye for talent this go around.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Thanks, but they've prob forgot more than I'll ever know, ha. I think the goods news is, McD hit on a couple of talent WR's during his time in Denver (Decker/Thomas), so I'm hoping that NE can benefit from that eye for talent this go around.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

Despite excellent handicapping on this board, with the exception of Lloyd, who among us predicted our 5  other FA signings (not to include our own players)? Once again, talent recognition is in the eye of the beholder and BB (plus his staff) operate on another level.  If the draft has a surprise it will be that one among us gets to pick two of the six possible Pats moves.

As for trading #31 down for a #1 next year and whether we also get a 2nd or 3rd round 2012 pick will be determined by who comes calling for #31 and whether next year's #1 draft pick is likely to be in the 1st/2nd half of round one.  It also depends upon who unexpectedly falls to us at #31 as to whether we keep the pick or trade out and the ultimate price tag for trading out.

I was surprised more by the Tebow trade to the JETS than by the price tag for Tebow's services. Also shocking was the N.O. punishment for their involvement in 'bounties" for injured opponents....There is no doubt that the Commissioner has made a profound statement for future organizational conduct....(player involvement and their punishment to follow more thorough review)....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Love it as long as he's healthy. Mankins had knee issues all year and played through it and even had ACL surgery this off season. Gallery can play just about anywhere on the line and has been good. People's perceptions of him are worse because he was picked so high and then later kicked inside to play guard. He played at Iowa, they produced good OL's consistently. He's been a consistent starter at the NFL level. He'll be in Scars hands. He's extremely versatile. You have back issues with Vollmer, Concussions with Solder, Waters potential retirement and his own knee issue he dealt with last season just like Mankins. They signed Fells but no reason Gallery can't play as the extra Tackle in the TE spot if it was needed either. No downside.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]

Solder's issues scare me more than anything. You get popped on almost every play as an OL. If he turns into another Mike Wright....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Despite excellent handicapping on this board, with the exception of Lloyd, who among us predicted our 5  other FA signings (not to include our own players)? Once again, talent recognition is in the eye of the beholder and BB (plus his staff) operate on another level.  If the draft has a surprise it will be that one among us gets to pick two of the six possible Pats moves. As for trading #31 down for a #1 next year and whether we also get a 2nd or 3rd round 2012 pick will be determined by who comes calling for #31 and whether next year's #1 draft pick is likely to be in the 1st/2nd half of round one.  It also depends upon who unexpectedly falls to us at #31 as to whether we keep the pick or trade out and the ultimate price tag for trading out. I was surprised more by the Tebow trade to the JETS than by the price tag for Tebow's services. Also shocking was the N.O. punishment for their involvement in 'bounties" for injured opponents....There is no doubt that the Commissioner has made a profound statement for future organizational conduct....(player involvement and their punishment to follow more thorough review)....
    Posted by moskk[/QUOTE]

Not sure if this was for me or not as I hadn't mentioned trading back recently, but as for handicapping FA, I'd never claim to know specifically who they'd target, I would just research/project names that I think would fit in well (based on history and assumed preferences)... same with trying to predict the draft.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

a thought based on some recent mocks (with dre kirkpatrick making it to 27)
    what if dre kirpatrick and mark barron are there at 27?
    what would you do?

i'm thinking we could keep mccourty at safety with chung and gregory.
    take kirkpatrick and pair him with dowling at corner. moore is in there and did well last year as well. of the impact of the 2, the cb may be more as we cannot count on mccourty to be as good at cb as he would be at safety (requiring skills he has and displays well).

in this scenario, what about kirkpatrick at 27, 

reyes at 31 (or curry if where they will be off the board is reversed), 

curry at 48, wr at 63 (ie criner, quick, toon, 

center (who can also play guard) in the 3rd,

ryan broyles or another wr in the 4th.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : not bad. how much will we get out of smith?

He has all the tools to become a stud, but will need a year or two but his rookie year I see a special team guy who can also come in to rush the passer on certain situations.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : He has all the tools to become a stud, but will need a year or two but his rookie year I see a special team guy who can also come in to rush the passer on certain situations.  

thanks pats. what's his ceiling. your plan, expectations in that year or 2 later.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : thanks pats. what's his ceiling. your plan, expectations in that year or 2 later.

He's got to get better against the run, add some strength and bulk.  Right now he's a pure pass rusher, a liability against the run.  If he improves against the run, learns how to use leverage ect IMO he has a high ceiling.  Two years from now I would consider him to get a 4 down OLB/DE.  He's an athletic kid who should improve everyday.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : He's got to get better against the run, add some strength and bulk.  Right now he's a pure pass rusher, a liability against the run.  If he improves against the run, learns how to use leverage ect IMO he has a high ceiling.  Two years from now I would consider him to get a 4 down OLB/DE.  He's an athletic kid who should improve everyday.

so you like him over donte paige moss late?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : so you like him over donte paige moss late?

I really dislike players like Paige Moss, character red flags.  I think he would be a better prospect purely on athletic ability but the baggage that comes with him I wouldn't draft him.

I would even say I would draft Frank Alexander over Paige Moss.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I really dislike players like Paige Moss, character red flags.  I think he would be a better prospect purely on athletic ability but the baggage that comes with him I wouldn't draft him. I would even say I would draft Frank Alexander over Paige Moss.

totally understand. thats why he is going to be available so late.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Not sure if this was for me or not as I hadn't mentioned trading back recently, but as for handicapping FA, I'd never claim to know specifically who they'd target, I would just research/project names that I think would fit in well (based on history and assumed preferences)... same with trying to predict the draft.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

MB...You do an excellent job of searching out prospective draft talent!  No, I wasn't directing any arrow in your direction but rather musing that the Pats seem to always march to a different drummer when it comes to needs and evaluating draft talent.

What may confuse us is we're working in a vacuum of sorts as regards future Pats plans for D and O changes etc.  What we propose, based on last year's style of play, could be outdated in any new change in strategy. Or, conversely, perhaps we're willing to accept a larger degree of risk in our future player positional projections and BB isn't (or vice versa).   

For example, many believe that Barron.... as the most highly rated safety in this year's draft class...is a must selection for us since we need a safety. Others would argue that this is a "weak" safety draft class and Barron would not be rated a 1st round selection in other draft years. Further, that he has only average speed and is weak in pass coverage (an important requirement in today's pass-happy style of play). Barron is most talented as a run stuffer and as such is more a one dimensional safety.  Can he acquire more skill in pass coverage and how can he circumvent being a tad slow compared to the receivers he will be defending?

More questions than answers.....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : MB...You do an excellent job of searching out prospective draft talent!  No, I wasn't directing any arrow in your direction but rather musing that the Pats seem to always march to a different drummer when it comes to needs and evaluating draft talent.   What may confuse us is we're working in a vacuum of sorts as regards future Pats plans for D and O changes etc.  What we propose, based on last year's style of play, could be outdated in any new change in strategy. Or, conversely, perhaps we're willing to accept a larger degree of risk in our future player positional projections and BB isn't (or vice versa).    For example, many believe that Barron.... as the most highly rated safety in this year's draft class...is a must selection for us since we need a safety. Others would argue that this is a "weak" safety draft class and Barron would not be rated a 1st round selection in other draft years. Further, that he has only average speed and is weak in pass coverage (an important requirement in today's pass-happy style of play). Barron is most talented as a run stuffer and as such is more a one dimensional safety.  Can he acquire more skill in pass coverage and how can he circumvent being a tad slow compared to the receivers he will be defending? More questions than answers.....
    Posted by moskk[/QUOTE]

Thanks man, your opinions/contributions to this thread are appreciated as well.

RE: Mark Barron- I think he's a very good, 1st round caliber, football player regardless of the S class depth.  I also don't think he's a weak in coverage and think he projects well to their predominantly zone scheme.  He's used all over the field (Box, slot, deep coverage etc.), is smart and is the "QB of their defense", has excellent instincts, locates and closes quickly on the football and has demonstrated some ball-hawk ability. Will he have some man limitations against the Gronk's/Graham's/Cruz's of the world?  Sure, but what S wouldn't?

Sections
Shortcuts