***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***:
    [QUOTE]I'm with MB on the LB situation. We need to turn this position back into an area of strength, and bring in some talent to compliment or spell Mayo/Spikes and company. I think there is a possibility that Upshaw could slip to our first pick in round 1. I woudl put a higher probability that Hightower does. If Upshaw doesn't, how much do you like Hightower playing inside or out at LB? Does he make Spikes expendable or vice versa? Same with Upshaw. Do you play Spikes and Upshaw inside and Mayo outside with Fletcher/Guyton/Nink/Cunningham combo? Just trying to figure out how you deploy a kid like Upshaw and Hightower with who we currently have, and Spikes/Cunningham I see as the biggest overlaps when compared to Upshaw and Hightower. ALso, I mentioned on a previous post possibly looking at Worthy with our other 1st rounder, or possibly with a 2nd based on where he falls. Is drafting a DT a high priority or do we have a log jam currently in that area? Wilfork, Love, Brace, Pryor, etc. I think a kid like Worthy is an upgrade over Love, Brace and Pryor, but do we use a pick this high for an upgrade when we have bigger needs at Safety, LB, etc.
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

I think Upshaw could be used all over the field, but you'd be drafting him for his edge rush ability as well as said versatility so I think he'd spend a bulk of his snaps as a 34 OLB or with his hand in the dirt as a 43 DE.

As for the DL, quality DL will always hold a ton of value with BB, the hard part is finding kids with the high/length he seems to prefer with his 34 DE's... further complicating things is the unknown around what base scheme they'll run moving forward though scheme diverse kids also provide a tone of value.  Worthy (6-3 305), like may others we've discussed (and mocked) to NE doesn't have said height/length but could be a solid fit if they move forward with more 43.

Devon Still and Alameda Ta'amu look like the only kids they'd potentially target as 34 DL talent in Rd 1, IMO.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : I might have been reading off an old report. But if as you asid he's a top 3 talent then there is zero chances he makes it to our 1st pick. Crick is on the line  between the 1st and 2nd. At best he's a late 1st at worst he's an early 2nd. He won't make it to Oak's pick in the 2nd though
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

I meant he is one of the top 3 DE/DT's in the draft

He is in the 18-38 range in the dozen or so mock drafts I frequently check in on

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

i don't know if just have been unlucky watching the big dlemen, but i am not really liking any of the big dlmen in this draft. none of the top candidates has shown consistent performance or even just motor.

Of the DTs
    • thompson was not impressive vs no carolina
    • brockers impressed me vs miss st but did not really see him vs alabama
    • this guy bryan jones penetrated vs alabama but was mediocre vs texas a&m
    • taamu did not look like much vs col and did not look like anything vs stanford; the kid has the size but may lack the nasty mentality
    • looked strong but need to see them again: worthy, short of purdue, walker of okla
    • fortson has the best motor i've seen so far but only saw him once and it ws early in the season
    • brown of tex a&m is 310 who collapsed the pocket really well vs arkansas
    Of the DEs
    • coples looked slow and sluggish vs virginia an did note really show up vs clemson
    • crick was ineffective vs ohio st; looked like engages tall
    • upshaw is my favorite so far
    • some who impressed me but do not see in mocks: eguae, jackson of ten, crawford of clemson (unfortunately, a freshman, but this guy may be worth watching)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

What about Billy Winn?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

i was going to check him out vs tcu. i inadevertently deleted it from the dvr. i should be able to record the sdsu game. it's not exactly a tough match for them, but it's the toughest they have left. it'll have to do.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]You know there are a number of good WR's that can be had on day 2/early day 3 this year. Even though Blackmon looks like a sure thing I wouldn't trade up for a WR. He's the best of the lot and will most likely go to a top 10 if not top 5. If you are looking at our 2nd round-4th round picks the players I'm keeping an eye on are: Burners - Ryan Broyles - Depending on his ACL injury can go anywhere from late 2nd-6th T.Y. Hilton - This kids got speed to burn but easily bumped at the line 3rd-4th Kendell Wright - Great speed, good hands and makes tough catches 3rd-5th My choice of the bunch is Broyles. Great talent that could be a steal in the right round if he recovers from his ACL injury Possession - Mohamed Sanu - Good route runner that has excellent field vision to find open holes 2nd - early 3rd Marvin McNutt - Will fight and make the tough catches. Excellent hand eye, good route runner, he can skip a gear and hit jogging to full speed in a couple of strides which makes him dangerous in man coverage. Reminds me of Ocho in his prime late 2nd-mid 3rd Nick Toon - He's a good all around WR with excellent blocking ability. Blocking is his best ability as he doesn't excel with anything else but is a very consistent solid player 3rd - 5th My choice of the bunch is McNutt If I had to chose between all of them I would go with McNutt. I think BB will see a lot of similar qualities he saw in Ocho back when he wanted to draft Ocho. Only this time BB will have the picks in the right spot to grab him

re:
    "You know there are a number of good WR's that can be had on day 2/early day 3 this year. Even though Blackmon looks like a sure thing I wouldn't trade up for a WR. He's the best of the lot and will most likely go to a top 10 if not top 5"

all of my exact thoughts in reponse to the posts above.
    a number of good #1 outside the #s receivers

and blackmon could go 3rd in the draft

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : Right now Toon is considered a late 2nd early 3rd option from what I've been reading. But, only because of the offense he is used in. He's under utilized on a run heavy O and isn't targeted nearly as much as warranted. But, that's also the knock which could keep him from being a top 45 player. Why is he being under utilized and why has he only shown flashes then gets no love from his QB. That's my main concern with him is why he isn't used more often. The other big concern is a durability issue. He isn't known to be the most durable player which is why I put McNutt over him. Honestly both are very good players with similar qualities. I think McNutt has the edge in toughness and Toon has the edge in quick short bursts. MB - Fuller is a good fall back option, the only thing I'd be concerned about with him is that he reminds me of Tate. I'm not sure if I'd want to go down that route in the 3rd. Maybe, for a 4th round pick. IMO either Upshaw or Curry will be there for our first pick. I think one will push the other into the mid-late 20's I'm just not sure who will push the other out at this point. I would gladly take either one though if they should happen to fall into our range

re:"MO either Upshaw or Curry will be there for our first pick. I think one will push the other into the mid-late 20's I'm just not sure who will push the other out at this point. I would gladly take either one though if they should happen to fall into our range "

id be all over that. lucky if one of the top  lbs are available. the need is there. since maybe we dont like roth, if one is avaialable, looks like a good move.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]So this is both tongue in cheek yet at the same time conceivable.  Similar to my "Gainseville North" posts on the 2010 draft thread, if BB wants to improve his defense, then why not bring in a good portion of the 2011 'Bama D, one of the top 2 or 3 D's in the nation? This isn't my 2012 Mock V1, but this D would be better in a hurry.  This is also assuming Upshaw is off the board before NE selects, which I think will be the case, but if he's not, he's my choice to be their top pick. Rd 1- Dont'a Hightower- ILB Rd 1- Mark Barron- S Rd 2- Josh Chapman- DT Rd 2- Robert Lester- S Rd 3- De'Quan Menzie- CB Rd 4- Nico Johnson- ILB
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

i like it.
    bama nfl unites with uf nfl.

" This is also assuming Upshaw is off the board before NE selects,"

totally agree. dont see him making it that far.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : That would sure make it better quick but I don't think we need a ILB. I like Spikes as a 1st and 2nd down back and am alright moving Mayo inside for the 3rd down or finding a coverage ILB in later rounds. You could also do a S Carolina/Alabama draft and include Taylor and Ingram. Take Baron out (have Chung don't know if we need Baron), push Chapman and Lester up a spot put Taylor/Ingram in the late 2nd, push Menzie to the 4th and take Ingram/Taylor with the 3rd. Now that would be a heck of a draft too

i like the usc - bama combo more.
    and mb,
    dont we have the box safety in chung.
    but lack the ball hawking safety we could pick up in lester.
    remember when baron got juked out of his shorts when ingram shake and baked him with the rock on a turnover. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : I'm not as optimistic on the ILB corps as neither Mayo or Spikes have proven the ability to stay healthy, same goes for assumed up and comer Dane Fletcher.  Now, I like their current talent at the position, but the injuries do leave a question mark. I do like the idea of an SEC combo draft as yes SC does have their own collection of defensive talent, I had posted about them the other day.  Barron is a pretty versatile kid (Lester is as well) that I think could provide value as both a pass and run defender, covering the deep half/third/slot while also providing value as a box safety and you know BB generally likes those interchangable type kids.  I could see them loading in what I feel could be a pretty deep safety class at this point, though I'd prefer to see them draft a kid and also sign a veteran FA. Ingram is a real intriguing kid, he's squatty, but has long arms to go along with an excellent burst and athleticism while Taylor has the ideal height/length that BB covets.

re"'m not as optimistic on the ILB corps as neither Mayo or Spikes have proven the ability to stay healthy, same goes for assumed up and comer Dane Fletcher.  Now, I like their current talent at the position, "

i am not high on their abiltiy, but ok with. i think the higher need is olb.

if you can pick up ilb did you laready pick up in fa or the draft #1 receiver, dl, olb, freew safety, and have a center in mind? and got room left in fa or draft, then ok.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]I'm with MB on the LB situation. We need to turn this position back into an area of strength, and bring in some talent to compliment or spell Mayo/Spikes and company. I think there is a possibility that Upshaw could slip to our first pick in round 1. I woudl put a higher probability that Hightower does. If Upshaw doesn't, how much do you like Hightower playing inside or out at LB? Does he make Spikes expendable or vice versa? Same with Upshaw. Do you play Spikes and Upshaw inside and Mayo outside with Fletcher/Guyton/Nink/Cunningham combo? Just trying to figure out how you deploy a kid like Upshaw and Hightower with who we currently have, and Spikes/Cunningham I see as the biggest overlaps when compared to Upshaw and Hightower. ALso, I mentioned on a previous post possibly looking at Worthy with our other 1st rounder, or possibly with a 2nd based on where he falls. Is drafting a DT a high priority or do we have a log jam currently in that area? Wilfork, Love, Brace, Pryor, etc. I think a kid like Worthy is an upgrade over Love, Brace and Pryor, but do we use a pick this high for an upgrade when we have bigger needs at Safety, LB, etc.
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

re: " I think a kid like Worthy is an upgrade over Love, Brace and Pryor, but do we use a pick this high for an upgrade when we have bigger needs at Safety, LB, etc."

been throwing this around in my head re the worthy kid who i posted as a possible patritot earlier in the thread this year and just like you, what is the priority?.

so it would come down for me what i wanted to do in fa (and or could do) and then what was left on my list could be targeted in the draft.

in order of importanc(my preference, not what bb will do-no one knows that, leastwise me):

olb, dl, wr ie upshaw - worthy if via draft; wr any # of guys i like the bigguns who can run and catch outside the numbers.

free safety mcdonald / lester ; center - midround developmental 

ilb: in this position of need, hard to see us spending a 1st rounder i would think

te and cb most likely fa

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : I think Upshaw could be used all over the field, but you'd be drafting him for his edge rush ability as well as said versatility so I think he'd spend a bulk of his snaps as a 34 OLB or with his hand in the dirt as a 43 DE. As for the DL, quality DL will always hold a ton of value with BB, the hard part is finding kids with the high/length he seems to prefer with his 34 DE's... further complicating things is the unknown around what base scheme they'll run moving forward though scheme diverse kids also provide a tone of value.  Worthy (6-3 305), like may others we've discussed (and mocked) to NE doesn't have said height/length but could be a solid fit if they move forward with more 43. Devon Still and Alameda Ta'amu look like the only kids they'd potentially target as 34 DL talent in Rd 1, IMO.

mb,

think Upshaw could be used all over the field, but you'd be drafting him for his edge rush ability as well as said versatility so I think he'd spend a bulk of his snaps as a 34 OLB or with his hand in the dirt as a 43 DE.

been my thinking too

As for the DL, quality DL will always hold a ton of value with BB, the hard part is finding kids with the high/length he seems to prefer with his 34 DE's... further complicating things is the unknown around what base scheme they'll run moving forward though scheme diverse kids also provide a tone of value.  Worthy (6-3 305), like may others we've discussed (and mocked) to NE doesn't have said height/length but could be a solid fit if they move forward with more 43.

i like our 43 better than our 34. the league is more pass. we get more rush with our 43

Devon Still and Alameda Ta'amu look like the only kids they'd potentially target as 34 DL talent in Rd 1, IMO.

i dont see either of these guys good enough to improve us dramatically at this point. nor do i want to move back to a 34 base

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : i like the usc - bama combo more. and mb, dont we have the box safety in chung. but lack the ball hawking safety we could pick up in lester. remember when baron got juked out of his shorts when ingram shake and baked him with the rock on a turnover. 
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

I just don't see Barron as a box safety only... don't put a whole lot of stock in one play during the season.

'Bama, like most elite teams, runs a good variation of coverages and responsibilities with a mix of Cover 1 "Robber" (which starts out with a Cover 2 look) in which you have one high safety the covers the deep middle and one safety that works his way up towards the box and has run/coverage responsibilities (watches the QB's eyes/makes a play on the football), Barron and Lester alternate between the high safety/"Robber" responsibilities.  They also run a good amount of Cover 2 zone with both responsible for the deep half.  

I say this because it's reflective of Barron's versatility and experience operating withing multiple coverage responsibilities (zone, TE, slot etc.). 

Put the tape on of this kid, he's all over the field and looks solid in both short/intermediate and deep coverage, reading plays correctly and frequently putting himself in position to make plays, I also like his ball skills.

With that being said, I'm a fan of both 'Bama safeties.

He actually might show up as a Rd 1 pick for NE in my 2012 Mock V1, along with everyones favorite choice of... another CB (Chase Minnifield or Stephon Gilmore).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : I just don't see Barron as a box safety only... don't put a whole lot of stock in one play during the season. 'Bama, like most elite teams, runs a good variation of coverages and responsibilities with a mix of Cover 1 "Robber" (which starts out with a Cover 2 look) in which you have one high safety the covers the deep middle and one safety that works his way up towards the box and has run/coverage responsibilities (watches the QB's eyes/makes a play on the football), Barron and Lester alternate between the high safety/"Robber" responsibilities.  They also run a good amount of Cover 2 zone with both responsible for the deep half.   I say this because it's reflective of Barron's versatility and experience operating withing multiple coverage responsibilities (zone, TE, slot etc.).  Put the tape on of this kid, he's all over the field and looks solid in both short/intermediate and deep coverage, reading plays correctly and frequently putting himself in position to make plays, I also like his ball skills. With that being said, I'm a fan of both 'Bama safeties. He actually might show up as a Rd 1 pick for NE in my 2012 Mock V1, along with everyones favorite choice of... another CB (Chase Minnifield or Stephon Gilmore).

just don't see Barron as a box safety only... don't put a whole lot of stock in one play during the season.

no i of course wouldnt decide on a guy form one play. it was more funny to see ingram do that.

'Bama, like most elite teams, runs a good variation of coverages and responsibilities with a mix of Cover 1 "Robber" (which starts out with a Cover 2 look) in which you have one high safety the covers the deep middle and one safety that works his way up towards the box and has run/coverage responsibilities (watches the QB's eyes/makes a play on the football), Barron and Lester alternate between the high safety/"Robber" responsibilities.  They also run a good amount of Cover 2 zone with both responsible for the deep half.  

I say this because it's reflective of Barron's versatility and experience operating withing multiple coverage responsibilities (zone, TE, slot etc.).  

Put the tape on of this kid, he's all over the field and looks solid in both short/intermediate and deep coverage, reading plays correctly and frequently putting himself in position to make plays, I also like his ball skills.

With that being said, I'm a fan of both 'Bama safeties.

He actually might show up as a Rd 1 pick for NE in my 2012 Mock V1, along with everyones favorite choice of... another CB (Chase Minnifield or Stephon Gilmore).

so you like barron over lester for us?

i like lester better as i'm wanting a ball hawk fs.
    i actaully think we would have more of a shot at barron cause i tthink he goes much later than lester in the draft

i have seen him some, but have not evaluated film on him.

thanks for the post.

what did you think of my thoughts on priorities and in getting what we can more easily get in free a then getting the rest in the draft.?

ie wr, fs maybe easier in fa.

roth?

we could use a lot of the money we put into players like ellis and ocho this year for the upgrades we need.

side note:
    ellis seemed like an overpayment at the time and seems clear now it was.
    chad seems like hes playing high school football, and not well.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** :  just don't see Barron as a box safety only... don't put a whole lot of stock in one play during the season. no i of course wouldnt decide on a guy form one play. it was more funny to see ingram do that. 'Bama, like most elite teams, runs a good variation of coverages and responsibilities with a mix of Cover 1 "Robber" (which starts out with a Cover 2 look) in which you have one high safety the covers the deep middle and one safety that works his way up towards the box and has run/coverage responsibilities (watches the QB's eyes/makes a play on the football), Barron and Lester alternate between the high safety/"Robber" responsibilities.  They also run a good amount of Cover 2 zone with both responsible for the deep half.   I say this because it's reflective of Barron's versatility and experience operating withing multiple coverage responsibilities (zone, TE, slot etc.).   Put the tape on of this kid, he's all over the field and looks solid in both short/intermediate and deep coverage, reading plays correctly and frequently putting himself in position to make plays, I also like his ball skills. With that being said, I'm a fan of both 'Bama safeties. He actually might show up as a Rd 1 pick for NE in my 2012 Mock V1, along with everyones favorite choice of... another CB (Chase Minnifield or Stephon Gilmore). so you like barron over lester for us? i like lester better as i'm wanting a ball hawk fs. i actaully think we would have more of a shot at barron cause i tthink he goes much later than lester in the draft i have seen him some, but have not evaluated film on him. thanks for the post. what did you think of my thoughts on priorities and in getting what we can more easily get in free a then getting the rest in the draft.? ie wr, fs maybe easier in fa. roth? we could use a lot of the money we put into players like ellis and ocho this year for the upgrades we need. side note: ellis seemed like an overpayment at the time and seems clear now it was. chad seems like hes playing high school football, and not well.

I think come draft day (assuming Lester declares), both playes will be rated similarly, as top 64 picks though right now Barron is carrying a late 1, early 2 grade from most publications that I've seen while Lester (only junior) should be pretty close once the scouting publications catch up to him.

I too would like a ball hawking safety, but I also think both have solid ball skills and play making ability as Barron has 12 career INT's in four years while Lester has 10 in three.

Another kid that I'm high on that can likely be had on day 2 is Harrison Smith (6-2 215) from ND.  He's another good size kid that plays aggressive, is a powerful, yet secure tackler, is quick to diagnose and close and is always around the football.

As for FA's, I think, they should target WR via FA if they're looking for a quicker ROI and would like to see a veteran S as well, but think they need to bring in atleast two S's this off season.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I want to sign Charles Godfrey or Dashon Goldson!

So then draft a safety as well?

I'd love us to pick Page up now (released by Eagles) and have him in the mix with Moore, Barrett, Brown and Ideghibo (however u spell it).

Between Chung a VERY good FA starter, and 3 of those 5 guys we'd be stacked.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I'd rather see a 10 sack monster of a DE/OLB, a DE/DT who is always behind the LOS, a 6'4" chuck it up for him WR (who also runs crisp routes and uses the sideline well), and a starting Center for the next decade who has a Mankins mean streak in him.

That'd gets us through round 2:-) The guys we expect to be studs

Then either a speedy cover ILB or CB (that can return kicks better than awful KR's we have now) in rd 3 and decent backup/rotation guy 'best available' to get lucky with in rd 4 (or an injury guy like Broyles) before we run out of picks.

(I won't even give thought to the fairyland dream that BB would trade future picks to get better players NOW).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : I think come draft day (assuming Lester declares), both playes will be rated similarly, as top 64 picks though right now Barron is carrying a late 1, early 2 grade from most publications that I've seen while Lester (only junior) should be pretty close once the scouting publications catch up to him. I too would like a ball hawking safety, but I also think both have solid ball skills and play making ability as Barron has 12 career INT's in four years while Lester has 10 in three. Another kid that I'm high on that can likely be had on day 2 is Harrison Smith (6-2 215) from ND.  He's another good size kid that plays aggressive, is a powerful, yet secure tackler, is quick to diagnose and close and is always around the football. As for FA's, I think, they should target WR via FA if they're looking for a quicker ROI and would like to see a veteran S as well, but think they need to bring in atleast two S's this off season.

thanks for the clarificationmb.
    thanks for the tip onsmith. iknowyou watch n.d.. i willhave to get around to looking at him.
    thanks for the thought re 2 free safeties(why by the way)? personally, id be much more interested in filling the other positions and getting 1 free safety.
    and at that point i might go another cb before another safety with the option.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]I want to sign Charles Godfrey or Dashon Goldson! So then draft a safety as well? I'd love us to pick Page up now (released by Eagles) and have him in the mix with Moore, Barrett, Brown and Ideghibo (however u spell it). Between Chung a VERY good FA starter, and 3 of those 5 guys we'd be stacked.
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

well see if bb makes a play for him. well know what bb thinks of him then.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]I'd rather see a 10 sack monster of a DE/OLB, a DE/DT who is always behind the LOS, a 6'4" chuck it up for him WR (who also runs crisp routes and uses the sideline well), and a starting Center for the next decade who has a Mankins mean streak in him. That'd gets us through round 2:-) The guys we expect to be studs Then either a speedy cover ILB or CB (that can return kicks better than awful KR's we have now) in rd 3 and decent backup/rotation guy 'best available' to get lucky with in rd 4 (or an injury guy like Broyles) before we run out of picks. (I won't even give thought to the fairyland dream that BB would trade future picks to get better players NOW).
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

rame,
      i am totally with you all the way thru the last sentence. altho id say it, even  if he wouldnt do it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

ok guys.
    colts confirmed for #1 pick
    chances they dont use the pick?
    don't need the colts having 2 full 12' draft picks and maybe even a 2nd 2013

rather have them take anyone including luck than make out like this.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

The Colts are going to take Luck.

Then they will decline the options on Mannings deal and give him an offer like 3/36 instead of owing him 4/72. Either he stays, mentors Luck for at least 1 year, gets to see how bad the team really is (they'd win 6-9 games with a healthy Manning) or he leaves.

The people who say we should be happy the Colts get Luck over Miami are correct. We'd play Miami 2x a year. I think they have a better all around club talent-wise to become better quicker. Reggie Wayne and Robert Mathis may both leave Indy this offseason.

If they are a .500 team transitioning in Luck we won't see them at all in 1-2 years, we only played them b/c of the TB-Peyton rivalry and the fact that both teams had top 4 records every year and it was done for strength of sched reasons.

Pats will remain a top 4 AFC team for at least the next 3-4 years that TB is elite. Possibly long beyond that if BB nails the '12 draft and free agency.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : rame,   i am totally with you all the way thru the last sentence. altho id say it, even  if he wouldnt do it.

haha true

It is the kind of draft where a guy like Crick, Worthy or Winn might be a reach at 27-28.... but never make it to 57-58.

I'd trade a 1st in '13 to get one of those guys in the 35-40 range. Or a guy like Hightower, Zach Brown or Janoris Jenkins if they fall from rd 1. Can't miss out on rd 1 talent b/c we'd have pick 27-32 in 2013 to use.

I'd trade a 2nd in '13 to get a player like TE Coby Fleener, KR/CB Cliff Harris, C Ben Jones, or any of the 6'4" WR's and DE/OLB's that are projected to go late rd 2 and will not make it to our late 3rd rd pick.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

[QUOTE]Thoughts on targeting Cortland Finnegan (assuming he's not franchised) in free agency?  He's a PITA for opposing teams and I think his tough, ultra-competitive attitude would be an asset to this defense.

I love Finnegan....it would be nice to have someone play CB with an "edge" rather than smurfs playing like they don't want to get hurt. Very tough ballplayer.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : Hey port, good to see you back on the draft thread. I just have some commentary on those points: 1) Agree. OL was a place of weakness and so was pass rush. i think we all expected them to grab an OL and a pass rush with 2 of those top 33 picks. OL was the choice and it looked like a good choice with Solder 2) We traded back a #1 to get Vereen, NO's #1 next year and gave us room to trade back our pick to Hou for Ridley and Cannon. Now They might have traded their pick back anyways so, that second part might be moot. Lets look at only the trade for a second. So far no one knows what Vereen is but since he's been an active no show for a number of games that's very concerning. As of right now it looks like we trade our #1 in 11' for a #1 in 12' in about the same position. Until Vereen can actually get on the field let alone be productive I don't count him as depth at all. As of right now that was a terrible trade but it's all dependent on Vereen 3) Ras is on IR and this was the knock on him coming out of college was that he was injury prone. A number of posters including myself pointed out time and time again that he was injury prone and it would be a gamble to take him early. If this was a late 2nd or early 3rd pick then you can say you took a chance on a 1st round talent guy with some injury issues but with the 33rd pick? It's basically a 1st round right there. If Ras can't stay healthy I don't see him long for the NFL and would yet again be another wasted high round pick. 4) I agree but Vereen being healthy inactive and cannot seem to get on the field really at all is very concerning. I don't know what to make of it. Ridley started out with a bang but has since sputtered to a halt. It might be due to lack of touches or lack of confidence but as of right now both RB selections aren't looking great. The one thing about RB selections is normally they can start week 1 as a rook and be productive. It's unusual they take a long time to adapt to a system so with Ridley and Vereen not getting a lot of touches it's disconcerting to say the least 5) Mallett was a gamble and still is. Can he keep his head straight and be happy on the bench until Brady retires? If so he can be a bigger steal then Rodgers if not then he's another O'Connell. There's a reason he went from a top 15 talent to the 3rd round. We'll have to wait and see I use to think that the 09', 10', 11' drafts were amazing given the shear amount of high round picks but when you break it down it paints a scary picture on how many picks were thrown away. I don't just mean in terms of players no longer on the team but also players who were expected to be average starters at worst and ended up being rotational backups. It seems that trading back and acquiring a ton of picks will get you decent depth and at least 1 solid starter every year but you don't get the impact players. I've seen that it's almost impossible to find an impact player in the 2nd and 3rd round yet the closer you are to #1 the more likely you have to find one. I know this doesn't come as much of a shock but when you realize that the depth and getting a ton of picks haven't worked at all for this team over the last 3 years and what's missing, on D at least, is a player who other teams need to account for then it's maddening not to move up and take a chance on getting an impact player. (BTW look at the depth on D right now. Brown, Barrett, Adams, Molden, White I mean really, that's the best depth they could get in an area of weakness to begin with?) The way I look at it is that the Pats in the first 3 rounds get a solid starter with 25% of their picks or at least a backup role player on 40% of those picks. So, what are the odds that if you moved up to a top 20 pick that you'd find at minimum a solid starter or better? I'd put it closer to 50%. So, you slightly decrease the odds of getting a solid player every year but, you are drastically increasing your odds of getting an impact player if every so often you move up to get one. I don't mean take the Jets approach but when you have the extra ammo and have a critical need that requires an impact player spend a couple of chips to go after the jackpot. As a wise man once said, "you can't win if you never play" and another said "if you go for broke and lose then what do you have to show but that you are a fool" but there has to be a happy median. I have to believe when an area of need has a lot of depth in the draft that you move chips to take a risk on show of that talent and when the draft is weak or your needs are minimized is when you hold back for more. It seems the philosophy regardless of strength of certain positions or need on the team is to trade back and get value instead of move forward for talent. It's just like gameday. If you only run 1 game plan constantly you will lose, you need to adjust and plan around your weaknesses and the strengths of what's in front of you.

Except that his proven experience finding even a "depth player" in rounds 2 and 3 over the last ten years is actually running about 1 in 3. This is the primary
    reason they're facing issues on the defensive side of the ball; he's continuously traded out of the 1st round for additional 2's and 3's and then whiffed on those extra picks.