***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!

In response to "Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!": [QUOTE]So the Giants took the TE Allen? On to rd 2? Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE] Yes, I gave Allen to the Giants since Fleener was taken by Denver and the Giants need a TE and also to replace Manningham at WR.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from speedster81. Show speedster81's posts

Interesting that Cordy Glenn is still on the board. Apologies to mgraham, I didnt see your Cinci pick at 17 when I submitted mine.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

TeamPlayerPositPick By
    33 St. Louis Rueben Randle WR pats7393
    34 Indianapolis Alameda Ta'amu DT ramekap
    35 Minnesota Shea McClellin OLB wazzu
    36 Tampa Bay
    37 Cleveland
    38 Jacksonville
    39 St. Louis
    40 Carolina
    41 Buffalo
    42 Miami
    43 Seattle
    44 Kansas City
    45 Dallas
    46 Philadelphia
    47 New York Jets
    48 New England
    49 San Diego
    50 Chicago
    51 Philadelphia
    52 Tennessee
    53 Cincinnati
    54 Detroit
    55 Atlanta
    56 Pittsburgh
    57 Denver
    58 Houston
    New Orleans Forfeited
    59 Green Bay
    60 Baltimore
    61 San Francisco
    62 New England
    63 New York Giants

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I love McClellin to the Pats as much as anyone, but I think that his stock is rising so fast that if we don't take him with one of our firsts, he probably won't be there at 48.  A slight trade-back into the early second might be an ideal place to land him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from speedster81. Show speedster81's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!:
    [QUOTE]I love McClellin to the Pats as much as anyone, but I think that his stock is rising so fast that if we don't take him with one of our firsts, he probably won't be there at 48.  A slight trade-back into the early second might be an ideal place to land him.
    Posted by WazzuWheatfarmer[/QUOTE]

Completely agree. Its actually possible that GB or Baltimore would pick him before we have a chance at 31. If Barron isnt there at 27, I would hope we use 27 on him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I know the Welker situation is fluid at this point, but could his situation if not resolved by draft time, blow things up a bit? Meaning, would we have to dedicate an earlier round pick to filling Welker's spot, or do we already have that filled with some of the new receiving additions?

This is one we need to keep close watch of. I personally think we can replicate Welker's production with what we currently have via Hernandez, Edelman, etc.

I think one strategy that could work may be relegating Hernandez to the slot position full time, and possibly backfilling the TE spot with a kid like Allen, Charles, etc. in the draft. That way, we get another dual receiving/blocking threat, and could have 3 "TEs" on the field at any one time.

I was an advocate earlier on this board of taking Fleener. Depending what happens with Welker, I'm leaning in this direction. Another option would be just to draft a WR since this class is deep. Depends on what McDaniels wants in this offense.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from speedster81. Show speedster81's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : i have two i am fixated on rnd 1 - nick perry rnd 2 - brandon thompson
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]

I share your love of Brandon Thompson. IMO he holds the point better than any lineman in this years draft and is alo able to collapse the pocket. He is my prime candidate for pick 48.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Would be an interesting topic following the mock to find out everyones "must haves" by round etc.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

I like this idea. Why don't we list our binkies per round. 1 D player and 1 O player. I'll start

1st Round:

D: Michael Brockers DE/DT
    O: Stephen Hill WR

2nd Round:

D: Vinny Curry OLB/DE
    O: Marvin McNutt WR

3rd Round:

D: Derek Wolfe DE/DT
    O: Marvin Jones WR

4th Round:

D: Dwight Bentley CB
    O: Desmond Wynn G/C?

5th Round:

D: Neiko Thorpe FS/CB
    O: Chris Rainey RB

6th Round:

D: Olivier Vernon DE/OLB
    O: Chase Ford TE

7th Round:

D: Tashaun Gipson CB
    O: Matt Ryan OT

UDFA:

D: Dominique Hamilton DT/DE
    O: Damarlo Belcher WR

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Against Bama in 2010, Jeffery had 7 receptions for 127 yds and 2 TDs. He beat Barron on one of the TDs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ud5w_JnDWc
    Posted by TrustBill[/QUOTE]

Here's the TD you're referring too (first play on the link below)... looks like some sort of zone in which one of the CB's blew an assignment... Barron was in pretty good position, made a play on the football... was an excellent play by Jeffery... though I think it says more about Jeffery's ability than it does about Barron's in lack there of. 

It also shows Saban's confidence in Barron that they were comfortable with him in some man  situations vs. Jeffery... though you're prob not gonna ask your S to man up against another teams #1 at the NFL level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bpHPzu_wEM

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Konz has always been in the latter part of rd 1, or the begining of round 2.  I agree that Martin has been falling lately, but I seriously doubt Upshaw would drop that far.
    Posted by Army2LT[/QUOTE]
    A lot of "experts" think Upshaw doesn't have a natural position in the NFL.  He's too short with short arms to be a 43 DE and doesn't move well backwards to be a 34 OLB.  Some suggest he might have to be a MLB because he's great coming forward and he's instictive as heck.  The man is a football player.  I think he'd be good for us because we would move him all over the place allowing him to make plays.

Talk around Harrison Smith is picking up too.  He's now being considered as a late 1st, early 2nd round player.  BAL could be eyeing him at 29.  While he isn't as athletic as Barron, he has been a bigger play maker than Barron with way more tackles and passes defended.  Granted Barron had a lot of help on defense.  But still Smith has played more in space and his movement skills are fluid.  He has the size/speed you want in a hybrid FS to cover TEs, which is really becoming more and more important.

I'm not saying we should take Smith at 31 (if BAL goes somewhere else) but a slight move down and in the late 30s, I start to like the value, and the need is certainly there.  Smith is very smart, his dad is a doctor, and I think he calls the defensive plays for ND.  I see Smith as a better option than any we have at FS right now.  This would allow us to go with McCourty and Dowling at CB.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrustBill. Show TrustBill's posts

In response to "Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Here's the TD you're referring too (first play on the link below)... looks like some sort of zone in which one of the CB's blew an assignment... Barron was in pretty good position, made a play on the football... was an excellent play by Jeffery... though I think it says more about Jeffery's ability than it does about Barron's in lack there of.  It also shows Saban's confidence in Barron that they were comfortable with him in some man  situations vs. Jeffery... though you're prob not gonna ask your S to man up against another teams #1 at the NFL level. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bpHPzu_wEM Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE] make sense. Jeffery at rd2 is good value.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

I am concerned about Jeffery's dedication; all that stuff about showing up overweight at the combine is a red flag to me.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]I am concerned about Jeffery's dedication; all that stuff about showing up overweight at the combine is a red flag to me.
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz[/QUOTE]

JHr,
    He was 6-3 216 at the combine, 6-3 213 at his pro-day so I I'm not sure the reports are accurate.  He didn't run at the combine, but ran a 4.49 at his pro-day.  He also had a decent 4.17 SS and an excellent 6.71 3C, to go along with a 10-2 BJ and 36.2 VJ so the kind moves well, can change direction and has some explosion in his legs... he was also very productive in the best conference in America with average to below average QB play, which intrigues me.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18!": make sense. Jeffery at rd2 is good value.
    Posted by TrustBill[/QUOTE]

Big time value in Rd 2, IMO, yes.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

My mistake, MB. I guess I was going on unofficial reports from the Bleacher (Report) creatures. To be honest I always like taking players on the way up (McClellin) as opposed to players on the way down, but if the value is there then there value is there.......it is what it is.....so to speak.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]My mistake, MB. I guess I was going on unofficial reports from the Bleacher (Report) creatures. To be honest I always like taking players on the way up (McClellin) as opposed to players on the way down, but if the value is there then there value is there.......it is what it is.....so to speak.

Reports were that 3-4weeks before the combine he was close to 240lbs and went on a crash diet to lose weight. It's speculated, keyword, that one reason he didn't run at the combine is that the sudden weight lose affected his strength and speed (he did look slower in drills).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]My mistake, MB. I guess I was going on unofficial reports from the Bleacher (Report) creatures. To be honest I always like taking players on the way up (McClellin) as opposed to players on the way down, but if the value is there then there value is there.......it is what it is.....so to speak.

I'm with you, generally prefer kids on the way up, though with them having so many picks accumulated, it gives them the flexibility to take a chance on a value pick if they see one. Now Jeffery is a top 10 talent, IMO, that could come off the board earlier than expected Top 40 etc., but if he's sitting there at 48 or 63, I think BB will have a decision on his hands because this kid has bigtime impact potential.

Not saying they should take him, as there should be some pretty good talent available later on Day 2 and on Day 3 etc., but this kid has game changer ability so he's atleast worth discussing. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

MB,
    On Jeffrey..putting the poor QB play aside for second, I don't believe Jeffrey is a top 10 talent. I think he has a lot going for him in that he is big, tough, physical, can catch anything thrown his way, but top 10 talent (ie, #1, #2 WR taken off the board), has all this + speed, sharp route running ability,etc. Jeffrey gets knocked on both of these. not exceptionally fast nor a great route runner.

Does he have value at 48 or 63? Yes I would agree. But i also think there are other WRs in this draft I would rather pick if we decide to grab a WR in the 48-63 range or later in day 2-3. 

I like Jeffrey plenty, but the 2 things I highlight above on the kid really concern me. If he runs sloppy routes and can't seperate from NFL CBs with more speed and discipline, is TB even going to look his way?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from paularnold. Show paularnold's posts

Jeffery's size speed combo is very good not in Steven Hill or Julio Jones' class but still very good.  The knock is that he doesn't get great separation, but he still catches anything near him.  And the QB around him was well below average and eventually got thrown off the team and was replaced by a freshman.  Still really like this kid in round two.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]MB, On Jeffrey..putting the poor QB play aside for second, I don't believe Jeffrey is a top 10 talent. I think he has a lot going for him in that he is big, tough, physical, can catch anything thrown his way, but top 10 talent (ie, #1, #2 WR taken off the board), has all this + speed, sharp route running ability,etc. Jeffrey gets knocked on both of these. not exceptionally fast nor a great route runner. Does he have value at 48 or 63? Yes I would agree. But i also think there are other WRs in this draft I would rather pick if we decide to grab a WR in the 48-63 range or later in day 2-3.  I like Jeffrey plenty, but the 2 things I highlight above on the kid really concern me. If he runs sloppy routes and can't seperate from NFL CBs with more speed and discipline, is TB even going to look his way?
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

My projection of top 10 is based more off of what I think his talent level/upside is than where he'll actually be taken.  IMO, he's one of the three receivers (Blackmon & Floyd being the other two) in this class that projects as a potential #1 WR at the NFL level that you can build an offense around and that can take a game over, etc.  I agree that he's not a finished product and that he'll need to work on his route running etc., but in terms of pure ability, competitiveness and production against elite competition, he's hard to overlook.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : My project of top 10 is based more off of what I think his talent level/upside is than where he'll actually be taken.  IMO, he's one of the three receivers (Blackmon & Floyd being the other two) in this class that projects as a potential #1 WR at the NFL level that you can build an offense around and that can take a game over, etc.  I agree that he's not a finished product and that he'll need to work on his route running etc., in terms of pure ability, competitiveness and production against elite competition, he's hard to overlook.

Agree. 48 or 63 in that case would represent tremendous value.

I understand he needs to learn the finer points of route running and the NFL...could he come in day 1 and compete with Stallworth, Lloyd & Ocho for time?

After what happened last year with Ocho, I'm not comfortable putting all of our stock in these FAs, and would rather hedge our bet a bit wit a kid like Jeffrey that has #1 WR ability.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]I know the Welker situation is fluid at this point, but could his situation if not resolved by draft time, blow things up a bit? Meaning, would we have to dedicate an earlier round pick to filling Welker's spot, or do we already have that filled with some of the new receiving additions? This is one we need to keep close watch of. I personally think we can replicate Welker's production with what we currently have via Hernandez, Edelman, etc. I think one strategy that could work may be relegating Hernandez to the slot position full time, and possibly backfilling the TE spot with a kid like Allen, Charles, etc. in the draft. That way, we get another dual receiving/blocking threat, and could have 3 "TEs" on the field at any one time. I was an advocate earlier on this board of taking Fleener. Depending what happens with Welker, I'm leaning in this direction. Another option would be just to draft a WR since this class is deep. Depends on what McDaniels wants in this offense.
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

hi lifer,

re:

" the Welker situation is fluid at this point, but could his situation if not resolved by draft time, blow things up a bit? 
    I think one strategy that could work may be relegating Hernandez to the slot position full time, and possibly backfilling the TE spot with a kid like Allen, Charles, etc. in the draft. That way, we get another dual receiving/blocking threat, and could have 3 "TEs" on the field at any one time. 

I was an advocate earlier on this board of taking Fleener. Depending what happens with Welker, I'm leaning in this direction. Another option would be just to draft a WR since this class is deep. Depends on what McDaniels wants in this offense. "

i have been advocated all 3 of the same postions you mention here over the last several months (have you caught me postinig this as well?)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : I like this idea. Why don't we list our binkies per round. 1 D player and 1 O player. I'll start 1st Round: D: Michael Brockers DE/DT O: Stephen Hill WR 2nd Round: D: Vinny Curry OLB/DE O: Marvin McNutt WR 3rd Round: D: Derek Wolfe DE/DT O: Marvin Jones WR 4th Round: D: Dwight Bentley CB O: Desmond Wynn G/C? 5th Round: D: Neiko Thorpe FS/CB O: Chris Rainey RB 6th Round: D: Olivier Vernon DE/OLB O: Chase Ford TE 7th Round: D: Tashaun Gipson CB O: Matt Ryan OT UDFA: D: Dominique Hamilton DT/DE O: Damarlo Belcher WR
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

eng i love your first 3 rds of binkies.
    i would just add jenkins in rd 1 of course

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : JHr, He was 6-3 216 at the combine, 6-3 213 at his pro-day so I I'm not sure the reports are accurate.  He didn't run at the combine, but ran a 4.49 at his pro-day.  He also had a decent 4.17 SS and an excellent 6.71 3C, to go along with a 10-2 BJ and 36.2 VJ so the kind moves well, can change direction and has some explosion in his legs... he was also very productive in the best conference in America with average to below average QB play, which intrigues me.

jeffery would likely be a beast for us. he did in fact blow up in the offseason something astonsihing, i forgot the weight. then dieted like mad to drop for the combine, specualtion was thats why he didnt do so well at the combine.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** MOCK V2 ADDED 2/18! : Reports were that 3-4weeks before the combine he was close to 240lbs and went on a crash diet to lose weight. It's speculated, keyword, that one reason he didn't run at the combine is that the sudden weight lose affected his strength and speed (he did look slower in drills).
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

if im not mistaken, i read like 260

Sections
Shortcuts