***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : Well the thing about Poe's lack of production is also Brockers problem, ie not enough time to prve production. I would call Brockers a one hit wonder but his numbers wouldn't even warrent that. What you are buying with both is potential. Poe showed more potential then Brockers at the combine but my money is still on Brockers (because he has a bigger motor and drive). Really it can go either way but with KC looking for a NT and Dal apparently in love with Poe if he gets past KC then Poe will be a top 15 pick, even though I don't think he is.
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

"Pats have already said they see him as a potential starter."

i saw this too.
    this seems to me to be only related to seeing if they can scare up a team for  trade.

i in no way see the pats considering hoyer ever as a starter for the pats

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to "Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : Well the thing about Poe's lack of production is also Brockers problem, ie not enough time to prve production. I would call Brockers a one hit wonder but his numbers wouldn't even warrent that. What you are buying with both is potential. Poe showed more potential then Brockers at the combine but my money is still on Brockers (because he has a bigger motor and drive). Really it can go either way but with KC looking for a NT and Dal apparently in love with Poe if he gets past KC then Poe will be a top 15 pick, even though I don't think he is. Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE] Agree. Actually poe's overall production is better than brockers. I think it depends on what you want. If kc is looking for an nt, Poe is the way to go because in part of his size and ability to eat space. Brockers to me is more of a de, or DT than a nt.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : I did think about about all those possibilities but here's my rational behind going the way I did: Car - I thought long and hard about Cox and Poe going to Car but I really can't justify either as top 10 picks in all honesty. Car has been linked to Kuechly a number of times and with Davis having question marks about staying on the field Car might take the BPA in the front 7 NYJ - With the Jets I thought about going D too but with Barron coming off the board I can't see them going CB early. DL, they invested a lot of money and draft picks into so I can't see them going DL early either. A rushing LB is possible but given the Holmes might talk himself off the team and there is no receivers behind Holmes they need some weapons or risk turning into a running team that can't run Chi - I really wanted to go OL with this pick but then I looked at the direction Chi has been taking and it's really gotten back to a smash mouth D where they will win or lose based on how the D performs. Given that I can see them wanting to tag another bookend across from Peppers. This pick though was the toughest Hou - This was easier then I thought it would be. With 4 WR's already off the board they can afford to wait for the next tier in the 2nd round. Here I have them taking a Williams replacement. If one of the 4 WR's I had previously mocked slip to Hou though I could easily see them taking a WR here I can't see Smith being taken at #31. He's to similar a player to Chung and doesn't fill the FS position as a coverage S. I think they are looking for a more athletic FS who's closer to a CB then a S to fill that role given BB's tends lately (moving McCourty to FS, Moore, Gregory)
    Excellent rebuttal. Well thought out. I can no longer disagree.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : "Pats have already said they see him as a potential starter." i saw this too. this seems to me to be only related to seeing if they can scare up a team for  trade. i in no way see the pats considering hoyer ever as a starter for the pats
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure why they couldn't see Hoyer as a potential replacement for Brady. Hoyer is a great game manager, much like Brady early in his career. True he doesn't have the strongest arm but you can also say the same about Brady when he first starter. You could also argue that he will be in his upper 20's when Brady's contract is up, but that never stopped SF from letting Young develop either.

Truth is that they saw enough in Hoyer to have him as the only backup to Brady the year after Brady's injury and the following year after. Last year a top 15 talent QB fell into their laps in the 3rd. If for nothing else he's an investment. They can watch both play and decide who will become the better overall QB. If they feel it's Hoyer then they can trade Mallett for maybe a 2nd or even a 1st to a really desperate team. If they feel it's Mallett then they can let Hoyer go and maybe get a late comp pick for him, which isn't bad considering he was a UDFA to begin with. They could also trade him in the pre-season if there is an injury on another team for a mid to late round pick next year.

I wouldn't exactly dismiss them as seeing him as Brady's future replacement just yet

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from speedster81. Show speedster81's posts

Hey Guys,

Thinking aloud here: What is the possibility that this is the first draft geared primarily towards improving our sub-package personell? Think about it, the Pats like most teams now play majority of their snaps in sub packages. With the advent of 3 and 4 wide receiver packages playing base personell leads to being heavily exploited in the pass game.

The most common sub package we use is the 4-2-5. This past year Wilfork, Love and Deaderick were used as the primary DT's with Carter and Deaderick playing end and Anderson coming in at end for Deaderick in passing situations. While Deaderick and Love were capable in their roles, Deaderick is ideally suited as a 3-4 DE and Love as a backup nose to Vince.

What if an investment is made in an over 300 pound DT that can rush the passer and anchor against the run that can be paired with Vince in a 40 front. What if instead of drafting a 250 pound OLB, we look at 275 pound DE's who can rush the passer and be stout against the run and can also play DT in passing situations.

I would also look to add an ultra athletic Linebacker who excels in coverage and can hold his own against the run. Enough has been said about safety that I wont mention more of it in this post except to say that an extemely athletic line backer could be used as a 3rd safety in a 4-2-5 formation. If you think about some of the worst Defensive games the pats have played recently they have come against multiple receiver offenses where we played majority of our snaps in sub personell. That being said, the following would make sense,

1 a---- Jared Crick 
    1 b---- Jerel Worthy
    2 a---- Bobby Wagner
    2 b---- Derek Wolfe
    3----Myles Burris
    4----Malik Jackson

Malik Jackson intrigues me especially. He was played out of position in Tennessee as a DT but looked really good as a DE rushing the passer.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

TY Hilton at 94.  He'll be our next Wes Welker.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

I think this would be a pretty sweet draft:

1a Brockers
    1b Barron
    2a McClellin
    2b Boykin
    3   Mike Martin
    4   Ben Jones

I would prefer Cox over Brockers, but I don't think he falls that far.  It also isn't clear that Brockers or Barron will necessarily be available at these spots.  I could be convinced to take a WR over Boykin, but I'm not really sure who I would like at that spot (I like Boykin because he can play in the slot and is an explosive returner).  Not really clear if Martin lasts that far, so a WR pick there could work as well.  Last I checked Jones wasn't projected that high, but if it is total bs that he would be available in the 4th feel free to correct me.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]I think this would be a pretty sweet draft: 1a Brockers 1b Barron 2a McClellin 2b Boykin 3   Mike Martin 4   Ben Jones I would prefer Cox over Brockers, but I don't think he falls that far.  It also isn't clear that Brockers or Barron will necessarily be available at these spots.  I could be convinced to take a WR over Boykin, but I'm not really sure who I would like at that spot (I like Boykin because he can play in the slot and is an explosive returner).  Not really clear if Martin lasts that far, so a WR pick there could work as well.  Last I checked Jones wasn't projected that high, but if it is total bs that he would be available in the 4th feel free to correct me.
    Posted by pcmIV[/QUOTE]
    Neither Brockers or Barron will be there at 27/31.  Brockers doesn't get past the Eagles at 15 and Barron doesn't make it past the Jets at 16.  Dallas could take Barron at 14 and KC could take Brockers at 11 so I would count both players out.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

From rotoworld, and if true we'd might have to take McClellin at #27; given GB also has their sights on McClellin:

After doing film study of Boise State LB/DE Shea McClellin, NFL Films' Greg Cosell believes McClellin has a chance to develop into a "dynamic edge pass rusher" in the pros.

Cosell specifically cited McClellin's ability to "bend the edge," a trait for which 2011 Defensive Rookie of the Year Von Miller was praised coming out of Texas A&M. Cosell observed some similarities to Clay Matthews in McClellin's game tape. With his pre-draft stock also seemingly building, McClellin now looks like a solid bet to be drafted late in the first round.

Could McClellin be BB's white whale? He said he regretted not taking Matthews, could BB be looking at McClellin as his second chance with the size he likes?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]From rotoworld, and if true we'd might have to take McClellin at #27; given GB also has their sights on McClellin: After doing film study of Boise State LB/DE Shea McClellin, NFL Films' Greg Cosell believes McClellin has a chance to develop into a "dynamic edge pass rusher" in the pros. Cosell specifically cited McClellin's ability to "bend the edge," a trait for which 2011 Defensive Rookie of the Year Von Miller was praised coming out of Texas A&M. Cosell observed some similarities to Clay Matthews in McClellin's game tape. With his pre-draft stock also seemingly building, McClellin now looks like a solid bet to be drafted late in the first round. Could McClellin be BB's white whale? He said he regretted not taking Matthews, could BB be looking at McClellin as his second chance with the size he likes?

Assuming both Hightower and McClellin are on the board at 27, who you taking?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : Assuming both Hightower and McClellin are on the board at 27, who you taking?
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]\

I don't think nether changes my opinion. I'm aiming at Brockers first and foremost. If Brockers is off the board at #27 then I'd be looking at Reyes, Perry, Curry, Barron, and McClellin. If for some odd reason they are all gone I'd be looking Still, Branch, Wright, Hill but I doubt we'd get that far down the list.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : \ I don't think nether changes my opinion. I'm aiming at Brockers first and foremost. If Brockers is off the board at #27 then I'd be looking at Reyes, Perry, Curry, Barron, and McClellin. If for some odd reason they are all gone I'd be looking Still, Branch, Wright, Hill but I doubt we'd get that far down the list.

I'll ask it a different way, who's higher on your board, Hightower or McClellin though by what you've mentioned above I'd guess McClellin as you didn't mention Dont'a.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : I'll ask it a different way, who's higher on your board, Hightower or McClellin though by what you've mentioned above I'd guess McClellin as you didn't mention Dont'a.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

I'd only say McClellin because I've seen McClellin on the edge more often so I know he can line up with a 2 point, 3 point, or standing up. Most of what I've seen of Hightower was many in the ILB position with the occasional edge setup. Given Spikes/Mayo and both players have similar upside I'd rather have a guy I know for sure can line up on the edge.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : I'd only say McClellin because I've seen McClellin on the edge more often so I know he can line up with a 2 point, 3 point, or standing up. Most of what I've seen of Hightower was many in the ILB position with the occasional edge setup. Given Spikes/Mayo and both players have similar upside I'd rather have a guy I know for sure can line up on the edge.

Gotcha.

I'm more optimistic on Hightower's ability off the edge, think he has a high ceiling as a passrusher and IMO, projects as an awesome fit as a (3) down player on the outside at the NFL level.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to "Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : \ I don't think nether changes my opinion. I'm aiming at Brockers first and foremost. If Brockers is off the board at #27 then I'd be looking at Reyes, Perry, Curry, Barron, and McClellin. If for some odd reason they are all gone I'd be looking Still, Branch, Wright, Hill but I doubt we'd get that far down the list. Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE] Where is your guy Wolfe? I am assuming that brockers and Barron don't make 27. If I had to choose between Reyes, Hightower, McClellin, still, perry at 27, I think I take McClellin and wait to 31 or round 2 to grab Wolfe instead of Reyes or still, and possibly come back with Martin in later 2 or 3. I like McClellin, Wolfe, Martin as my front 7 guys. If for some reason Gilmore is there, I might grab him instead at 31. However, I like trading 31 into round 2 and 3-4 picks.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***": Where is your guy Wolfe? I am assuming that brockers and Barron don't make 27. If I had to choose between Reyes, Hightower, McClellin, still, perry at 27, I think I take McClellin and wait to 31 or round 2 to grab Wolfe instead of Reyes or still, and possibly come back with Martin in later 2 or 3. I like McClellin, Wolfe, Martin as my front 7 guys. If for some reason Gilmore is there, I might grab him instead at 31. However, I like trading 31 into round 2 and 3-4 picks.
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

Wolfe to me I'd take at #48 at the earliest depending on how and where the other DE's are taken and #63 at the latest. At #27 would be a reach, not because I don't think his potential isn't that high but because I don't think anyone would take him before #48, so why not get another high end player while you're at it

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Is McClellin this year's Barwin, Reed, Sheard???  Seems that name not only here but all over is getting a lot of looks.  Started out as a 4th round projection I believe, up to some believing he will end up a 1st rounder.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Akiem Hicks has similar raw potential as Brockers but could be had with our 4th.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to "Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***": [QUOTE]Akiem Hicks has similar raw potential as Brockers but could be had with our 4th. Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE] I like him, but from everything I have read, he seems like a boom or bust type of player. Most analysts talk about him as a solid contributor, not a starting, impact type of player that brockers is typically talked about. I know it's round 1 vs 4, but we already have a deaderick, love and Pryor, and to me, hicks would fall into this group, not be a significant upgrade over it...at least initially. To me, he is the same discussion as a Kheeston Randall.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]Akiem Hicks has similar raw potential as Brockers but could be had with our 4th.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure where you are seeing the raw potential.

Brockers has Seymour type of upside. If he stayed in school for one more you he was a favorite to be a top 10 pick next year. Playing for LSU he saw Pro ready players and pro style O's and was able to make plays at the line.

Hicks went to Canada after a recruiting violation and wasn't dominant up in Canada. He showed flashes but when you are playing in the CIS you should be dominant. Because he was the biggest player in the CIS he relied completely on his size and didn't develop any techniques, hand use, or how to disengage. To many times at the Shrine he's locked up with a G and could disengage. He also appears to give up when engaged if the straight bull rush fails.

Hicks might be extremely raw but he has no where near the upside Brockers does. Hicks to me is closer to a Deadrick type of player then a Brockers.

I'd much rather have a Brockers, Still, Reyes, Wolfe, Randall, Jean-Baptiste, Crick, or Martin over Hicks any day

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]Is McClellin this year's Barwin, Reed, Sheard???  Seems that name not only here but all over is getting a lot of looks.  Started out as a 4th round projection I believe, up to some believing he will end up a 1st rounder.
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]
    Yes, he will be in high demand.  Not sure if he makes it out of the first.  GB or BAL.  But BAL would take Konz if he's there.  When everyone else is hot on a player, we are seldom the ones to get him.  But Chandler Jones is a player I'm hearing linked to the Pats a lot. Rumor has it BB regretted not taking Clay Matthews so maybe this time he will use both picks, but I doubt it.

But for me going by history, I think he takes the guy he wants at 27 then trades 31 back.  There should be a lot of action from teams looking to take care of business on Day 1 so they can reset their boards.  It could be any team but by way of example, let's say BUF takes Floyd or Blackmon at #9 because Reiff is off the board.  They have to move back up to 31 ahead of the Giants and others to get a LT in Jonathan Martin or Mike Adams.  We move back to pick 41 and pick up their 2013 2nd.

My buddy out here who is a huge Chargers' fan said Gregory is a wasted signing and might not make the team.  So our hole at FS remains huge.  Therefore I'm sticking with Harrison Smith at 27 because BAL is sitting at 29 and Ed Reed isn't going to play forever.

I no longer see us drafting a DE/OLB conversion type early now that we signed Carpenter and Scott and still have Cunningham.  BB never drafts them early anyway as the bust potential has been huge over the years.

#27   S Harrison Smith- Our biggest need is at Safety.  I don't agree with the idea of moving McCourty to the middle and starting essentially two rookies (Dowling and Jenkins) that would be foolish.  Smith brings size, smarts, leadership and attitude.  I think he can cover the TE in the seam aid in run support and be the stopper when Chung gets hurt as he always does. 
    #31   Traded for '13 2nd and #41)
    #41   CB Janoris Jenkins- Character concerns causes this kid to slip into the second round.  We saw Mallett drop to the 3rd last year and he had far fewer concerns.  Since we now have three 2nds, BB will take the risk and Jenkins will compete with Dowling from Day 1.
    #48   Traded for 2013 first to New Orleans.  Not having a draft pick in the first two rounds this year, NO is desperate to get into the action.
    #62   RB LaMichael James- Woodhead was horrible returning kicks last year and his overall production was down, plus he is only signed through 2012.  James is much better in the return game and has more shake and bake and big play ability. 
    #93   WR Ryan Broyles- Welker is likely done after this season as the Pats will never give a $10MM/year deal to a slot receiver.  Not finding enough value in a trade, the Pats agree not to tag Welker next year and he signs his tender.  Edelman is also a F/A after 2012 so a new slot receiver is badly needed.  Broyles was a #1 pick before his ACL and with a full year to cover and learn, the Pats start him on the PUP saving a roster spot and have him ready to go later in the year if needed, or in 2013.
    #126  DT Akiem Hicks- We have not seen the Pats use a high pick on the DL since Wilfork in 2004 (I'm not counting Brace because he was drafted specifically as an insurance policy to Wilfork holding out).  Since then they have been drafting DL late or getting them in F/A (Deaderick, Love, Pryor)  Hicks was originally recruited by LSU but ended up playing in Canada.  He has tremendous size and raw power.  Since the top DL prospects are long gone the Pats take this kid to groom and coach up.

We've addressed our needs in the secondary, big time! We added a couple of play makers in James who will see action on special teams and perhaps 3rd downs and Broyles who takes over for Welker and possibly Edelman in 2013.  Then we added a massive 6-5, 318 34 DE type who can start learning right away and be ready to really contribute next year.  ...and by the way, we have a pair of 1sts and 2nds again next year, as always:)).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Afternoon Boys,

Below is my Mock V3, this will be my last projection until Draft Day. As you all probably know by now, Mark Barron is the top player on my board and has been since very early on. 

I’m also realistic to the fact that he’ll prob be off the board when NE is slotted to select at both 27 and 31, if he isn’t, he’s my guy. 

ü  The top of my Rd 1 Board today looks like this, though I think all too will likely be gone by 27/31:  

S- Mark  Barron
    DL- Fletcher Cox
    DL- Michael Brockers
    OLB- Courtney Upshaw
    CB- Dre Kirkpatrick 

ü  I’m also of the belief that when all is said and done, BB will likely have traded one of, if not both of his Rd 1 picks due to some combo of maybe moving up into the early 20’s to draft a player that is sliding a bit and/or to move back to acquire more picks for this year and the future as he seems to do every year.

With that being said, below is my projection, not factoring in potential trades: 

27-
    Dont’a Hightower- LB- Alabama- If the others are gone and this kid’s on the board, I think he makes too much sense for them.   A lot of experience against elite competition, has excellent upside as an edge rusher, is well versed in a BB style 34 scheme, kid also has good size, improved movement ability (another year removed from surgery) is versatile and IMO can play any LB position in both 34 & 43 sets and also has some value as a rush end in a 43 set.  Alternative: Stephon Gilmore- CB/S- South Carolina.

31-
    Kendall Reyes- DL- UConn- Very good character/team captain, good size and athleticism, scheme diverse and has a big motor.  He’s another kid that fits the Patriot’s player profile and I think he’d be an excellent addition upfront.  Alternatives:  Shea McClellin- OLB/ILB/DE- Boise State. / Doug Martin- RB- Boise State. 

48-
    Harrison Smith- S- ND- Very good size, moves well, very instinctive and always around the football, good ball skills, good tackler with knockout potential, has the ability to play in the deep half/third as well as down in the box and is very strong is run support.  He’s also a team leader/captain with very good character; another great fit in NE. Alternatives: Josh Robinson- CB- UCF / Brandon Thompson- DL- Clemson. 

62-
    Jayron Hosley- CB- VT- Elite instincts and ball skills in the passing game, projects as an excellent zone CB at the NFL level and brings added value in the return game…  kid has big play potential as both a defender and return man.  He's not big, but doesn't shy away from contact and gives good effort in run support. Alternatives:  Bobby Massie- OT- Ole Miss / Amini Silatolu- OG- Midwestern State. 

- Senio Kelemete- OG/OT- Washington- Versatile kid that’s played OT and OG during his time at UW, he’s also an athletic kid that moves very well for his size, plays with aggression and nastiness, can pull/play in space and would look great at OG across from Mankins. Alternatives:  Cam Johnson- OLB/DE- Virginia / Marvin Jones- WR- Cal. / Derek Wolfe- DL- Cincinnati / George Iloka- S- Boise State. 

126-
    Greg Childs- WR- Arkansas- This would be a great value pick IMO, as the kid has Rd 1/2 talent (he could also be an option in Rd 3).  Very good size/speed combo, good quicks and RAC ability, physical player with upside as a blocker and isn’t afraid to work the middle of the field.  He’s also well schooled in a pro-style offense and BB should be familiar with him due to time spent scouting Ryan Mallet. Alternatives:  Devon Wylie- WR- Fresno State / Ron Brooks CB/S LSU / Jake Bequette- DE/OLB- Arkansas / Joe Adams- WR/RS- Arkansas.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]TY Hilton at 94.  He'll be our next Wes Welker.

only if he's learned to keep that ball close to his body. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread*** : Yes, he will be in high demand.  Not sure if he makes it out of the first.  GB or BAL.  But BAL would take Konz if he's there.  When everyone else is hot on a player, we are seldom the ones to get him.  But Chandler Jones is a player I'm hearing linked to the Pats a lot. Rumor has it BB regretted not taking Clay Matthews so maybe this time he will use both picks, but I doubt it. But for me going by history, I think he takes the guy he wants at 27 then trades 31 back.  There should be a lot of action from teams looking to take care of business on Day 1 so they can reset their boards.  It could be any team but by way of example, let's say BUF takes Floyd or Blackmon at #9 because Reiff is off the board.  They have to move back up to 31 ahead of the Giants and others to get a LT in Jonathan Martin or Mike Adams.  We move back to pick 41 and pick up their 2013 2nd. My buddy out here who is a huge Chargers' fan said Gregory is a wasted signing and might not make the team.  So our hole at FS remains huge.  Therefore I'm sticking with Harrison Smith at 27 because BAL is sitting at 29 and Ed Reed isn't going to play forever. I no longer see us drafting a DE/OLB conversion type early now that we signed Carpenter and Scott and still have Cunningham.  BB never drafts them early anyway as the bust potential has been huge over the years. #27   S Harrison Smith - Our biggest need is at Safety.  I don't agree with the idea of moving McCourty to the middle and starting essentially two rookies (Dowling and Jenkins) that would be foolish.  Smith brings size, smarts, leadership and attitude.  I think he can cover the TE in the seam aid in run support and be the stopper when Chung gets hurt as he always does.  #31   Traded for '13 2nd and #41) #41   CB Janoris Jenkins - Character concerns causes this kid to slip into the second round.  We saw Mallett drop to the 3rd last year and he had far fewer concerns.  Since we now have three 2nds, BB will take the risk and Jenkins will compete with Dowling from Day 1. #48   Traded for 2013 first to New Orleans.   Not having a draft pick in the first two rounds this year, NO is desperate to get into the action. #62   RB LaMichael James - Woodhead was horrible returning kicks last year and his overall production was down, plus he is only signed through 2012.  James is much better in the return game and has more shake and bake and big play ability.  #93   WR Ryan Broyles - Welker is likely done after this season as the Pats will never give a $10MM/year deal to a slot receiver.  Not finding enough value in a trade, the Pats agree not to tag Welker next year and he signs his tender.  Edelman is also a F/A after 2012 so a new slot receiver is badly needed.  Broyles was a #1 pick before his ACL and with a full year to cover and learn, the Pats start him on the PUP saving a roster spot and have him ready to go later in the year if needed, or in 2013. #126  DT Akiem Hicks - We have not seen the Pats use a high pick on the DL since Wilfork in 2004 (I'm not counting Brace because he was drafted specifically as an insurance policy to Wilfork holding out).  Since then they have been drafting DL late or getting them in F/A (Deaderick, Love, Pryor)  Hicks was originally recruited by LSU but ended up playing in Canada.  He has tremendous size and raw power.  Since the top DL prospects are long gone the Pats take this kid to groom and coach up. We've addressed our needs in the secondary, big time! We added a couple of play makers in James who will see action on special teams and perhaps 3rd downs and Broyles who takes over for Welker and possibly Edelman in 2013.  Then we added a massive 6-5, 318 34 DE type who can start learning right away and be ready to really contribute next year.  ...and by the way, we have a pair of 1sts and 2nds again next year, as always:)).

if he does make it to 2nd i see him mocked to pick 35, though st louis and indy both had him in.

im not high on smith. if he turns out good, thats great. i think hes a risk to be a top player in the nfl.
    if i want jenkins id take him at 31.
    if i could get him later i would, but i dont see it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12!

On Jenkins...no way I touch him in the draft unless he does a vontaze burfict and slides all the way to round 7 or udfa.sure he is one heck of a corner but the kid has many a problem that I don't think BB and the pats will be able to manage. Why waste a high pick on him? It's not only talent and scheme fit we should be evaluating but also chemistry and decision making and the kid strikes out on both big time.