***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12!

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : I hear you but not so sure about that.  Mallett, Hernandez?  See a pattern there? If this kid is there at 62 it would be hard to pass on him.  He's the best cover corner in the draft and we don't have any corners that can cover.  Late 2nd for a mid 1st talent represents a lot of value/risk v. reward.  I bet we could even trade 62 down to about 75 and still get him. 
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

that would be f'n awesome if it happened.
    other teasm arent stupid (i dont think) many are probably thinking the same thing. how low can i get this kid.
    i dont see him making it past mid 2nd.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : Those are serious matters but most of it stems from smoking weed and covering it up.  The kid is immature.  He needs a mentor.  Maybe he'll fall to 93.  If he does, certainly he's worth the chance.  We haven't had any luck in the 3rd round for awhile.  Having a bunch of kids isn't that unusual with some of these guys, not intended to be a racist remark but a bunch of players coming out of college already have kids and with multiple women. I was very critical of the kid if you go back and look.  I said no way in the first round but late 2nd or better yet, late 3rd, he's worth rolling the dice.

better than missing on another cb pick for the umpteenth time.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : better than missing on another cb pick for the umpteenth time.
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

The real question with Jenkins is NOT whether he has the skill-set nor whether he is in a temporary "funk" with poor judgment, decision-making etc.  The real question is whether he is so "immature" that no amount of guidance, supervision or peer pressure  will make a difference!  Some kids NEVER grow up and the risk with Jenkins is whether he will prove to be a greater disruptive influence, a supreme TEASE, by his lack of commitment to football as well as his indifference to consequences. Is he the "second-coming" of Packman Jones?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chloedancer65. Show Chloedancer65's posts

Thanks for the list, you really know who' who for sure!!!! It's not too early to start draft talk, the draft is April 26th. I just hope that the PATS use their picks and not trade them. So far I have been happy with their acquisitions. I am not sure about Stallworth and I hope they sign Wes. I think he is one of the hardest workers and does what he asked to do. I love watching him play and don't want to have to play against him. There are some players I just can't see in another jersey and he's one of them.....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to "Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12!": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : Looks like Gregg Bedard agrees with us.  Been saying this for a few weeks now . 27. Patriots (from New Orleans): S Harrison Smith , Notre Dame - Figure the Patriots to trade one of their two picks to continue collecting draft picks in perpetuity. Smith fits everything the Patriots look for in a safety and they need the depth this season and beyond. The biggest weakness on this team is our secondary and it wasn't addressed in F/A.  I think Harrison Smith is exactly what we need since Barron will be long gone.  Too early at 27, perhaps?  I think we could get him at 31 but BAL is a risk to take him so what are 4 spots to ensure you get the guy who can help you most?  Like many or you, I like other guys more too but I don't see a bigger hole on this team than S.  I haven't watched as many ND games as a lot of you, especially Mb, but watching the kid move at the Combine, listening to Mayock raving about him and reading up on him as a person has sold me.  We do so many different things on defense and we have been missing a big physical presence back there since the other Harrison (Rodney) retired, that I think Smith is the logical, albeit, not popular choice. The kid hits, he's smart, he's an emotional leader, he is an absolute tackling machine and is better in coverage then people give him credit for.  He can cover the TEs, which is huge because we got burned a lot last year by even average TEs.  I like Smith at 27 to ensure we fill our biggest hole.  I would then take Jenkins at 62, pot and all, if he's there.  Those two picks which are totally reasonable would dramatically improve our 2nd worst passing defense in the history of the NFL.  Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE] You, bedard, and others might be right on the Harrison smith pick. I think 27 is way too early, but I don't see ant other way given who drafts behind us, and the lack of safety talent in this years class. He fills an obvious need. On Jenkins, I may be in the minority here, but there is no way I take him in this draft. Unquestionable talent or not, he has more than his share of issues, and doesn't compare at all to Hernandez or mallet. PatsEng detailed this pretty thoroughly above so no need to rehash. Personally, I don't get how Jenkins drops a round or two, but vontaze burfict, who is arguably a 1 st round talent as well drops completely out with far less off the field issues? I would be more inclined to take a chance on burfict later in the draft than Jenkins . Jenkins is a timebomb ticking.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : The real question with Jenkins is NOT whether he has the skill-set nor whether he is in a temporary "funk" with poor judgment, decision-making etc.  The real question is whether he is so "immature" that no amount of guidance, supervision or peer pressure  will make a difference!  Some kids NEVER grow up and the risk with Jenkins is whether he will prove to be a greater disruptive influence, a supreme TEASE, by his lack of commitment to football as well as his indifference to consequences. Is he the "second-coming" of Packman Jones?
    Posted by moskk[/QUOTE]
    Agreed, those are the risks.  BB will have far more information to make a more informed decision on the kid.  The kids needs to realize he has maybe just one chance to get his act together and have a career and if he's fortunate to be drafted by the greatest NFL coach of all time and to play with HOF Brady, he needs to seize this chance and not blow it. 

But you're right, some kids never get it.  So the question is, where do you take the chance?  I'm thinking 93 now.  That would be our 5th pick of the draft.  Other teams don't have as many so early so less likely to risk one of their top 3 picks on the kid.

You have a 50/50 chance on any draft pick making it in this league.  The risk with this kid isn't talent or even lack of effort, it is off the field stuff.  I'd give him a 50/50 chance of cleaning up his act at least enough to be effective. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12!": You, bedard, and others might be right on the Harrison smith pick. I think 27 is way too early, but I don't see ant other way given who drafts behind us, and the lack of safety talent in this years class. He fills an obvious need. On Jenkins, I may be in the minority here, but there is no way I take him in this draft. Unquestionable talent or not, he has more than his share of issues, and doesn't compare at all to Hernandez or mallet. PatsEng detailed this pretty thoroughly above so no need to rehash. Personally, I don't get how Jenkins drops a round or two, but vontaze burfict, who is arguably a 1 st round talent as well drops completely out with far less off the field issues? I would be more inclined to take a chance on burfict later in the draft than Jenkins . Jenkins is a timebomb ticking.
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]
    Thanks on Smith.  27 is too high.  I think if Konz is still on the board at 27, we can pass on Smith because I think BAL will take him at 29 and BAL is the biggest threat at this point.  We can then allow Smith to get to 31.  Perhaps at that point we can trade back a bit and still land him as the bad teams have other priorities.

I'm seeing some mocks having Kirkpatrick making to us at 27.  I would love to get him and Smith with our top 2 picks.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Outside of Cox and Brockers, there isn't a DT I'm excited about in the first round.  I love Hightower and some of the OLB conversion types but I don't think BB will go there.  I think he has to go defensive backfield. 

I like Thompson, Martin and Wolfe a little later on but the first two are strictly interior types and we are pretty set there with Pryor, Love and Brace.  But for 34 ends after Brockers and Cox, I don't see anyone who is going to be better than Fanene at this stage.

There is no way the Pats should go offense at the top of the draft so that leaves LB or DBs.  Kirkpatrick and Smith or McClellin and Smith would be a nice start.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

to MB and others with extensive draft canidate profiles.

NFL radio had an interview today with Noah Miller  ILB/ OLB from Ohio Univ. He said that he has a workout on Tuesday with the Pats.I have not even seen his name on any of the publications I have ( OK just the USA today sports weekly! I actually rely on you guys.)

What do you have on him? Although he played in the MAC , he showed well against OSU,Va Tech, and Tennessee.

It was interesting that Randy Cross said this is what BB does. He will look at canidates that he might not draft but does research for possible FA signings ..but moreover, guys that would be drafted late by other teams  and quite possibly be cut. He then has some assurety and knowledge when he needs to add someone later in the season because of injuries. I was impressed that, if this is true, BB is doing homework for seasonal long term contingencies, not just the short term , ie April draft.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]to MB and others with extensive draft canidate profiles. NFL radio had an interview today with Noah Miller  ILB/ OLB from Ohio Univ. He said that he has a workout on Tuesday with the Pats.I have not even seen his name on any of the publications I have ( OK just the USA today sports weekly! I actually rely on you guys.) What do you have on him? Although he played in the MAC , he showed well against OSU,Va Tech, and Tennessee. It was interesting that Randy Cross said this is what BB does. He will look at canidates that he might not draft but does research for possible FA signings ..but moreover, guys that would be drafted late by other teams  and quite possibly be cut. He then has some assurety and knowledge when he needs to add someone later in the season because of injuries. I was impressed that, if this is true, BB is doing homework for seasonal long term contingencies, not just the short term , ie April draft.
    Posted by mgraham[/QUOTE]

mg,
    Not a kid that I'm familiar with, but after looking into him, he has the size BB looks for at ILB (6-1 245) and while  he's a limited athlete, he runs well (4.63), can stack and shed, has excellent instincts and is a solid tackler.

Def projects as a late round/URFA type, but as was mentioned above, BB is doing his homework... good fit inside where his lack of range will be minimized a bit.

Thanks for the name, gonna add him to my late round watch list.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12!": ...  On Jenkins, I may be in the minority here, but there is no way I take him in this draft. Unquestionable talent or not, he has more than his share of issues, and doesn't compare at all to Hernandez or mallet. PatsEng detailed this pretty thoroughly above so no need to rehash. Personally, I don't get how Jenkins drops a round or two, but vontaze burfict, who is arguably a 1 st round talent as well drops completely out with far less off the field issues? I would be more inclined to take a chance on burfict later in the draft than Jenkins . Jenkins is a timebomb ticking.
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

i completely agree with you on jenkins. bottomline i believe bb does not want any player who needs to be constantly baby sat. with hern, etc, bb saw it was not going to be a problem. in jenkins' case, the pattern of behavior indicates he will need to be "mentored" (baby-sat)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Here is my second attempt at a Pats mock.  Let me know what you think.

#27 TRADED to Indianapolis for #34, #97, and #208
    Indianapolis jumps San Fran and the Giants to take Andrew Luck's college teammate and favorite target in Coby Fleener.  The Pats get some more depth for later in the Draft.

#31 Harrison Smith-S-Notre Dame
    Smith is the 2nd best safety in the draft, and there is a significant dropoff after him.  He is a smart, dedicated football player, and seems to be the Patriots type of player.  He can line up at both FS and SS, meaning he has the versatility BB likes in his players.  The Patriots need a safety, and Harrison Smith seems to be the best choice they can realistically make to fill the hole. He should contend for playing time from Day One.

#34 Shea McClellin-DE/OLB/ILB-Boise State
    He's hard working, smart, and versatile, all traits that BB craves in his players. McClellin is a strong pass rusher who should come in and improve the team's pass rush from Day One.  The Pats will undoubtedly play him all over the field, and such versatility will increase his chances of making an impact on day one. This guy's motor never stops running, and we cannot let him slip out of our hands like we did with players such as Brooks Reed, Connor Barwin, and Clay Matthews.

#48 Derek Wolfe-DE/DT-Cincinnati
    A very strong pass rusher, Wolfe is also fairly stout against the run.  He has very good size and a strong motor.  He has played all across the line, meaning he has the versatility that BB likes.  This might be a little high for Wolfe, but BB has been known to grab his guys early in the process, besides, Wolfe is a solid Round 2-3 prospect anyways.  Wolfe should be a contributor on the NE D-Line early on next season.

#62 TRADED to Washington for #69 and #141
    Washington trades a couple later picks to jump back into the 2nd round after losing the pick in the RGIII Deal.

#69 Chase Minnefield-CB-Virginia
    Has the NFL bloodlines that the Pats love.  Minnefield was viewed as a 1st round talent in the pre-season, but saw his numbers decline due to teams throwing away from him.  He slipped a little due to a somewhat short combine measurement, and a recent knee surgery.  Still, he represents very good value at this point in the draft.

#93 TRADED for 2013 2nd
    Some team will do it.

#97 Chris Rainey-HB/WR/KR/PR-Florida
    Has explosive speed and has tremendous versatility on offense.  While he is too small to be an every down back in the NFL, that is not the role he would play with the Pats.  He can be an explosive returner, and could be a very nice weapon on the offense.  Plus, we all know how much BB loves the Florida kids.

#126 TRADED to Philly for #153 and #196
    Pats and Eagles have to keep up the streak, and Philly has an abundance of late round picks.  They package them to move up, and BB picks up his coveted late round picks.

#141 Audie Cole-ILB-North Carolina State
    The Pats pick up some depth at LB.  Audie Cole has good size for an ILB in New England's system, and at this point, more depth cannot hurt.

#153 Greg Childs-WR-Arkansas
    He's coming off an injury riddled season, but the athletisism is there.  With so few needs, the Pats can afford to take a chance on a 6-3 receiver who runs a 4.39.

#196 David Molk-C-Michigan
    They draft a late round depth prospect for some depth at the Center position. They re-signed Koppen so this isn't a burning issue.

#208 Joe Long-OT-Wayne State
    Jake Long's brother.  At this point, the Pats add to their stable of Offensive Linemen.  There isn't much more they need to do.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

I don't know that much about McClellin but I wonder if players from the Mountain West are a little overated since they play in a weaker conference than, say, the SEC. PFW's draft chart has him as mid 3rd rounder.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : Thanks on Smith.  27 is too high.  I think if Konz is still on the board at 27, we can pass on Smith because I think BAL will take him at 29 and BAL is the biggest threat at this point.  We can then allow Smith to get to 31.  Perhaps at that point we can trade back a bit and still land him as the bad teams have other priorities. I'm seeing some mocks having Kirkpatrick making to us at 27.  I would love to get him and Smith with our top 2 picks.

I like Smith at 27, I've heard a number of "experts" say this kid has the football IQ and ability to be a starting safety day 1.  I don't know if that's the case in NE's D but if he can start day one he's would help the biggest need outside OLB.

Having a productive S along Chung also helps the CBs, they were really hurt from bad S play last season.  I believe this was part of DM sophomore slump (not all but had part to do with it).

Smith IMO is a 4 down player, can cover, good in run support and can play on STs.  From what I've seen and heard from his interviews he's all about football, will live in the film room and work hard to be the starter.  Maybe not the sexy pick but the one that makes the most sense to me right now.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Hey guys.  Wanted to discuss Shea McClellin for a minute.  I love the guy.  Living in the NW, I've jumped on the BSU bandwagon a bit, and I watch most of their games.  Looks like he could become a very good pro, but I have to wonder whether or not he would really be the smartest pick for NE at 27.  I think he would be a great player to draft mid-second round, but lately it seems like GB is all set to take him at 28 if we don't grab him at 27.  McClellin has gotten a ton of hype the past month or so, and I hate to say it, but his stock might be a bit too high at this point.  I wouldn't be disappointed if we ended up drafting him at 27, as I'm a huge fan of his, but I really believe that there will likely be a better player there when pick 27 rolls around.  We'll see.  Maybe the GB interest is being over-blown too.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Hey guys.  Wanted to discuss Shea McClellin for a minute.  I love the guy.  Living in the NW, I've jumped on the BSU bandwagon a bit, and I watch most of their games.  Looks like he could become a very good pro, but I have to wonder whether or not he would really be the smartest pick for NE at 27.  I think he would be a great player to draft mid-second round, but lately it seems like GB is all set to take him at 28 if we don't grab him at 27.  McClellin has gotten a ton of hype the past month or so, and I hate to say it, but his stock might be a bit too high at this point.  I wouldn't be disappointed if we ended up drafting him at 27, as I'm a huge fan of his, but I really believe that there will likely be a better player there when pick 27 rolls around.  We'll see.  Maybe the GB interest is being over-blown too.
    Posted by WazzuWheatfarmer[/QUOTE]

Waz,

I see a lot of similarities between McClellin and Brooks Reed in that Reed had a similar meteoric rise from projected Rd 3/4 kid to projected Rd 1 kid as we got closer to draft time.  Reed was being talked about as an option to NE at 28, but wasn't taken until 42.  While I think McClellin is more versatile than Reed, I'm not sold on him as a Rd 1 kid... he was an "alternative" for me at pick 31 in my latest mock, but I have him as a Rd 1-2 kid on my draft board, would prefer him in Rd 2.  Overall, I don't see him getting past NE at 48.

I'm still holding out hope that they come away with one of Barron/Brockers/Cox/Upshaw/Kirkpatrick/Gilmore in Rd 1, trading up a bit if need be.  Reyes/Smith/Curry/McClellin etc., fall into my next grouping of defenders.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

[QUOTE]Hey guys.  Wanted to discuss Shea McClellin for a minute.  I love the guy.  Living in the NW, I've jumped on the BSU bandwagon a bit, and I watch most of their games.  Looks like he could become a very good pro, but I have to wonder whether or not he would really be the smartest pick for NE at 27.  I think he would be a great player to draft mid-second round, but lately it seems like GB is all set to take him at 28 if we don't grab him at 27.  McClellin has gotten a ton of hype the past month or so, and I hate to say it, but his stock might be a bit too high at this point.  I wouldn't be disappointed if we ended up drafting him at 27, as I'm a huge fan of his, but I really believe that there will likely be a better player there when pick 27 rolls around.  We'll see.  Maybe the GB interest is being over-blown too.
    Probably is Wazzu; there's a lot of misinformation going on out there at this time of year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

are we running out of gas in the last week?
    i dont see as many ideas being offered and analysis of those ideas, whether ours or those of the pros.

with our analysis lets keep it friendly and keep any animosities out of it.
    better to acknowledge being in a mood to oneself than to kick the dog or hit the kid.

lets have a great week and a half before the draft.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : Waz, I see a lot of similarities between McClellin and Brooks Reed in that Reed had a similar meteoric rise from projected Rd 3/4 kid to projected Rd 1 kid as we got closer to draft time.  Reed was being talked about as an option to NE at 28, but wasn't taken until 42.  While I think McClellin is more versatile than Reed, I'm not sold on him as a Rd 1 kid... he was an "alternative" for me at pick 31 in my latest mock, but I have him as a Rd 1-2 kid on my draft board, would prefer him in Rd 2.  Overall, I don't see him getting past NE at 48. I'm still holding out hope that they come away with one of Barron/Brockers/Cox/Upshaw/Kirkpatrick/Gilmore in Rd 1, trading up a bit if need be.  Reyes/Smith/Curry/McClellin etc., fall into my next grouping of defenders.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

Agree, MB. Brooks Reed is an excellent comparison to McClellin.  I really like both prospects, but both are probably realistically 2nd rounders. If NE got McClellin at 48, that would be ideal, IMO.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Title, I'm no draft expert but just enjoy reading here to be prepared for the draft each year.  I like your mock and players but it seems to me we don't have too many sure openings--we were in the SB and BB has filled in with Free Agents before the draft.  My point is I think many here expect him to trade into next year's draft but I don't know about trading down for more players this year.  That's the only part of your take I question. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

It seems like every year, NE drafts a guy or two in the 2nd/3rd round who have gotten "lost in the shuffle" of the draft process a little bit.  Spikes is a perfect example.  His college production @ UF was mid 1st round worthy, but slow 40 times combined with "character/work ethic questions" caused teams to pass on him and for him to slide to late 2nd.  Sometimes these guys work out great (like Spikes) and sometimes they don't.  Two under-the-radar guys to watch this year, who were at one time considered 1st rounders but who's stock have dropped significantly, are a pair of Cornhuskers.  Alfonzo Dennard & Jared Crick.  Dennard was once thought to be a top 20 lock, but after having a disappointing Senior Bowl week and a mediocre combine it seems that he his stock has slipped to mid 2nd round range.  He could slide as far as #62, and if he is still on the board there, don't be suprised if BB nabs him.  Crick has lost all kinds of momentum after tearing a pectoral this past season, but if his health checks out, he could be another dropping prospect that BB might take a chance on in the mid-rounds of the draft.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]Here is my second attempt at a Pats mock.  Let me know what you think. #27 TRADED to Indianapolis for #34, #97, and #208 Indianapolis jumps San Fran and the Giants to take Andrew Luck's college teammate and favorite target in Coby Fleener.  The Pats get some more depth for later in the Draft. #31 Harrison Smith-S-Notre Dame Smith is the 2nd best safety in the draft, and there is a significant dropoff after him.  He is a smart, dedicated football player, and seems to be the Patriots type of player.  He can line up at both FS and SS, meaning he has the versatility BB likes in his players.  The Patriots need a safety, and Harrison Smith seems to be the best choice they can realistically make to fill the hole. He should contend for playing time from Day One. #34 Shea McClellin-DE/OLB/ILB-Boise State He's hard working, smart, and versatile, all traits that BB craves in his players. McClellin is a strong pass rusher who should come in and improve the team's pass rush from Day One.  The Pats will undoubtedly play him all over the field, and such versatility will increase his chances of making an impact on day one. This guy's motor never stops running, and we cannot let him slip out of our hands like we did with players such as Brooks Reed, Connor Barwin, and Clay Matthews. #48 Derek Wolfe-DE/DT-Cincinnati A very strong pass rusher, Wolfe is also fairly stout against the run.  He has very good size and a strong motor.  He has played all across the line, meaning he has the versatility that BB likes.  This might be a little high for Wolfe, but BB has been known to grab his guys early in the process, besides, Wolfe is a solid Round 2-3 prospect anyways.  Wolfe should be a contributor on the NE D-Line early on next season. #62 TRADED to Washington for #69 and #141 Washington trades a couple later picks to jump back into the 2nd round after losing the pick in the RGIII Deal. #69 Chase Minnefield-CB-Virginia Has the NFL bloodlines that the Pats love.  Minnefield was viewed as a 1st round talent in the pre-season, but saw his numbers decline due to teams throwing away from him.  He slipped a little due to a somewhat short combine measurement, and a recent knee surgery.  Still, he represents very good value at this point in the draft. #93 TRADED for 2013 2nd Some team will do it. #97 Chris Rainey-HB/WR/KR/PR-Florida Has explosive speed and has tremendous versatility on offense.  While he is too small to be an every down back in the NFL, that is not the role he would play with the Pats.  He can be an explosive returner, and could be a very nice weapon on the offense.  Plus, we all know how much BB loves the Florida kids. #126 TRADED to Philly for #153 and #196 Pats and Eagles have to keep up the streak, and Philly has an abundance of late round picks.  They package them to move up, and BB picks up his coveted late round picks. #141 Audie Cole-ILB-North Carolina State The Pats pick up some depth at LB.  Audie Cole has good size for an ILB in New England's system, and at this point, more depth cannot hurt. #153 Greg Childs-WR-Arkansas He's coming off an injury riddled season, but the athletisism is there.  With so few needs, the Pats can afford to take a chance on a 6-3 receiver who runs a 4.39. #196 David Molk-C-Michigan They draft a late round depth prospect for some depth at the Center position. They re-signed Koppen so this isn't a burning issue. #208 Joe Long-OT-Wayne State Jake Long's brother.  At this point, the Pats add to their stable of Offensive Linemen.  There isn't much more they need to do.
    Posted by titletownfan[/QUOTE]
    That would be some kind of draft, you've manipulated the board as artfully as BB.

I actually don't think we'll draft more than 5-6 players this year.  We're pretty loaded already.  Its tough for me to see where we can fit more than 5 guys.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Alright my good fellows. With a week and half until the draft I think it might be time to break down the positions and determine what could have room to add players through the draft.

Offense:

TE - Gronk, Hern, Fells: The Pats run a 2 TE set which means you typically want 3 starting caliber TE's to run the offense. Gronk and Fells certainly fill the prototypical TE role while Hern plays more of a H-Back type of role. They could still add an additional TE and move Hern to a RB/WR role but I don't see that happening given the other acquisitions this off-season. Diagnosis, all set in the TE position

WR - Welker, Lloyd, Gonz, Branch, Stallworth, Slater, Edelman, Ocho: They made a lot of moves this off-season. Slater is an obvious #6 WR for ST with Lloyd and Welker making the team. This year they can go 7 WR's if they only carry 4 RB's instead of 5 or they can stick with their typical 6 WR's. I still have a gut feeling giving the age and question marks of the acquisitions this year they will get a WR late day 2 early day 3. It might be a STer who will primarily be a return man but I can see it happenings. One person I've been high on as a return man (Rainey), might be an ideal conversion type from RB to slot WR long term. He's about Welker size with good hands and is deadly with space. He might be a shocker convert WR none of us expected. Diagnosis 1 WR drafted

RB - Woodhead, Ridley, Vereen, Larsen, Fiametta: I might be in the minority here but I see the acquisition of a blocking FB as a sign that they will put their faith in the young guys. That the extra lead blocker is meant to give them a little more support that vets don't typically need. With Hern as a 5th RB I don't see them going after a RB persay in this draft unless it's as a returner or can work out of the slot. Rainey could be that kid providing additional depth as a 6th RB, 5/7th WR, and primary return man while only taking up 1 spot. Diagnosis, all set at RB position

OL - Mankins, Light, Waters, Solder, Vollmer, Cannon, Koppen, Connolly, Wendell, McDanold, Gallery, Thomas: Typically the Pats only travel with 8-9 OL and 1-2 in reserve, that doesn't leave much room to add players given who they currently have, even if Light retires. How I see it breaking down is T's - Solder/Vollmer, T/G's - Cannon/Gallery, G's - Waters/Mankins, G/C - McDonald, C's Connolly/Koppen traveling with Thomas in reserve and Wendell if he can make it to PS. Diagnosis, all set on OL

QB - Brady, Mallett, Hoyer: They will carry 3 if need be but I also see them trying to trade Hoyer on draft day (KC, Browns?). Diagnosis, all set at QB

So on O I can see 1 possible draft pick spent, mainly for a return man that adds flexibility depth or can be a long term starter on O. I'm really starting to convince myself Rainey is that man. He is a quality return man that can add depth to the RB core without taking an additional spot on the roster and has the potential to develop into a speedy slot WR with good burst and great vision in the open field

Defense:

DB - McCourty, Arrington, Ras, Brown, Chung, Gregory, Moore, Williams, Allen, Cole: I grouped them all together because depending on how they feel about McCourty will determine how they might approach the draft. If they view McCourty as a CB then the CB core might be alright without drafting an additional player but the S core will need some help, if they view McCourty as a FS then they might not need to draft a S but will need to find a replacement for the CB core. Diagnosis they will draft 1-2 DB's in the draft

LB - Mayo, Fletcher, Tarp, Nin, Niko, Cunningham, Spikes, White, Carter, Carpenter, Scott: It's a lot of names but not many starters. The ILB looks solid without the addition of another body but there still is a hole on the edge rushing position. Diagnosis, at least 1 edge rusher

DL - Wilfork, Pryor, Deadrick, Love, Brace, Fenena, Silvestro, Harrison: Other then Wilfork all the other players will need to prove they can handle a full time starting job. Deadrick, Love, Brace to me all look like backups and rotational type of players with Fenena being a possibility to be a full time starter. They need to get some consistency in their pass rush and help with the run up the middle. I expect Carter to be back but it's still unsure what he can provide. Diagnosis, at least 1 interior DL

So, given the current roster I see us targeting at least 1 return man (WR or RB/WR), 1-2 DB's, 1 edge rushing LB, and 1 interior DL. That's 4-5picks with 6 picks in hand. Of course BB will trade and we'll most likely end up with more then 6 picks total but I also see them dbling up at a couple positions on the D side (namely in the front 7) But given so few major holes on the team right now I can also envision them actually making some moves up to get players they really want 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]It seems like every year, NE drafts a guy or two in the 2nd/3rd round who have gotten "lost in the shuffle" of the draft process a little bit.  Spikes is a perfect example.  His college production @ UF was mid 1st round worthy, but slow 40 times combined with "character/work ethic questions" caused teams to pass on him and for him to slide to late 2nd.  Sometimes these guys work out great (like Spikes) and sometimes they don't.  Two under-the-radar guys to watch this year, who were at one time considered 1st rounders but who's stock have dropped significantly, are a pair of Cornhuskers.  Alfonzo Dennard & Jared Crick.  Dennard was once thought to be a top 20 lock, but after having a disappointing Senior Bowl week and a mediocre combine it seems that he his stock has slipped to mid 2nd round range.  He could slide as far as #62, and if he is still on the board there, don't be suprised if BB nabs him.  Crick has lost all kinds of momentum after tearing a pectoral this past season, but if his health checks out, he could be another dropping prospect that BB might take a chance on in the mid-rounds of the draft.

Waz,
    I like the topic, they "lost in the shuffle" guy that may be dropping for one reason or another, that interests me the most is South Carolina WR Alshon Jeffery.  This kid has the size and skill set to create a ton of matchup issues at the NFL level and was highly productive at the SEC level despite average to below average QB play.

I think Dennard is a good name, based on where he's no projected vs. how he was viewed earlier in the process.

Crick is a kid I like, blue collar, big motor etc., I just think he's a 43 kid only as I don't see where he fits into NE's 34 front based on his weight (279 combine, 276 Pro Day).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Alright my good fellows. With a week and half until the draft I think it might be time to break down the positions and determine what could have room to add players through the draft. Offense: TE - Gronk, Hern, Fells: The Pats run a 2 TE set which means you typically want 3 starting caliber TE's to run the offense. Gronk and Fells certainly fill the prototypical TE role while Hern plays more of a H-Back type of role. They could still add an additional TE and move Hern to a RB/WR role but I don't see that happening given the other acquisitions this off-season. Diagnosis, all set in the TE position WR - Welker, Lloyd, Gonz, Branch, Stallworth, Slater, Edelman, Ocho: They made a lot of moves this off-season. Slater is an obvious #6 WR for ST with Lloyd and Welker making the team. This year they can go 7 WR's if they only carry 4 RB's instead of 5 or they can stick with their typical 6 WR's. I still have a gut feeling giving the age and question marks of the acquisitions this year they will get a WR late day 2 early day 3. It might be a STer who will primarily be a return man but I can see it happenings. One person I've been high on as a return man (Rainey), might be an ideal conversion type from RB to slot WR long term. He's about Welker size with good hands and is deadly with space. He might be a shocker convert WR none of us expected. Diagnosis 1 WR drafted RB - Woodhead, Ridley, Vereen, Larsen, Fiametta: I might be in the minority here but I see the acquisition of a blocking FB as a sign that they will put their faith in the young guys. That the extra lead blocker is meant to give them a little more support that vets don't typically need. With Hern as a 5th RB I don't see them going after a RB persay in this draft unless it's as a returner or can work out of the slot. Rainey could be that kid providing additional depth as a 6th RB, 5/7th WR, and primary return man while only taking up 1 spot. Diagnosis, all set at RB position OL - Mankins, Light, Waters, Solder, Vollmer, Cannon, Koppen, Connolly, Wendell, McDanold, Gallery, Thomas: Typically the Pats only travel with 8-9 OL and 1-2 in reserve, that doesn't leave much room to add players given who they currently have, even if Light retires. How I see it breaking down is T's - Solder/Vollmer, T/G's - Cannon/Gallery, G's - Waters/Mankins, G/C - McDonald, C's Connolly/Koppen traveling with Thomas in reserve and Wendell if he can make it to PS. Diagnosis, all set on OL QB - Brady, Mallett, Hoyer: They will carry 3 if need be but I also see them trying to trade Hoyer on draft day (KC, Browns?). Diagnosis, all set at QB So on O I can see 1 possible draft pick spent, mainly for a return man that adds flexibility depth or can be a long term starter on O. I'm really starting to convince myself Rainey is that man. He is a quality return man that can add depth to the RB core without taking an additional spot on the roster and has the potential to develop into a speedy slot WR with good burst and great vision in the open field Defense: DB - McCourty, Arrington, Ras, Brown, Chung, Gregory, Moore, Williams, Allen, Cole: I grouped them all together because depending on how they feel about McCourty will determine how they might approach the draft. If they view McCourty as a CB then the CB core might be alright without drafting an additional player but the S core will need some help, if they view McCourty as a FS then they might not need to draft a S but will need to find a replacement for the CB core. Diagnosis they will draft 1-2 DB's in the draft LB - Mayo, Fletcher, Tarp, Nin, Niko, Cunningham, Spikes, White, Carter, Carpenter, Scott: It's a lot of names but not many starters. The ILB looks solid without the addition of another body but there still is a hole on the edge rushing position. Diagnosis, at least 1 edge rusher DL - Wilfork, Pryor, Deadrick, Love, Brace, Fenena, Silvestro, Harrison: Other then Wilfork all the other players will need to prove they can handle a full time starting job. Deadrick, Love, Brace to me all look like backups and rotational type of players with Fenena being a possibility to be a full time starter. They need to get some consistency in their pass rush and help with the run up the middle. I expect Carter to be back but it's still unsure what he can provide. Diagnosis, at least 1 interior DL So, given the current roster I see us targeting at least 1 return man (WR or RB/WR), 1-2 DB's, 1 edge rushing LB, and 1 interior DL. That's 4-5picks with 6 picks in hand. Of course BB will trade and we'll most likely end up with more then 6 picks total but I also see them dbling up at a couple positions on the D side (namely in the front 7) But given so few major holes on the team right now I can also envision them actually making some moves up to get players they really want 
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

Alright my good fellows. With a week and half until the draft I think it might be time to break down the positions and determine what could have room to add players through the draft.

Good topic, PE.

Offense:

TE - Gronk, Hern, Fells: The Pats run a 2 TE set which means you typically want 3 starting caliber TE's to run the offense. Gronk and Fells certainly fill the prototypical TE role while Hern plays more of a H-Back type of role. They could still add an additional TE and move Hern to a RB/WR role but I don't see that happening given the other acquisitions this off-season. Diagnosis, all set in the TE position

Agree.

WR - Welker, Lloyd, Gonz, Branch, Stallworth, Slater, Edelman, Ocho: They made a lot of moves this off-season. Slater is an obvious #6 WR for ST with Lloyd and Welker making the team. This year they can go 7 WR's if they only carry 4 RB's instead of 5 or they can stick with their typical 6 WR's. I still have a gut feeling giving the age and question marks of the acquisitions this year they will get a WR late day 2 early day 3. It might be a STer who will primarily be a return man but I can see it happenings. One person I've been high on as a return man (Rainey), might be an ideal conversion type from RB to slot WR long term. He's about Welker size with good hands and is deadly with space. He might be a shocker convert WR none of us expected. Diagnosis 1 WR drafted

Agree.

RB - Woodhead, Ridley, Vereen, Larsen, Fiametta: I might be in the minority here but I see the acquisition of a blocking FB as a sign that they will put their faith in the young guys. That the extra lead blocker is meant to give them a little more support that vets don't typically need. With Hern as a 5th RB I don't see them going after a RB persay in this draft unless it's as a returner or can work out of the slot. Rainey could be that kid providing additional depth as a 6th RB, 5/7th WR, and primary return man while only taking up 1 spot. Diagnosis, all set at RB position

I’m not as optimistic; think they have room for another veteran RB, preferably one with some size to compliment Ridley.  As far as a RB in the draft goes, I love Doug Martin, but think they could pass on the position on Day 1-2.

OL - Mankins, Light, Waters, Solder, Vollmer, Cannon, Koppen, Connolly, Wendell, McDanold, Gallery, Thomas: Typically the Pats only travel with 8-9 OL and 1-2 in reserve, that doesn't leave much room to add players given who they currently have, even if Light retires. How I see it breaking down is T's - Solder/Vollmer, T/G's - Cannon/Gallery, G's - Waters/Mankins, G/C - McDonald, C's Connolly/Koppen traveling with Thomas in reserve and Wendell if he can make it to PS. Diagnosis, all set on OL

The (2) keys here IMO are; What happens with Light and do they view Cannon as more of a OT or OG?  Assuming Light retires and they choose to keep Cannon at OT, I think there’s room to upgrade the OG position behind Waters etc.

QB - Brady, Mallett, Hoyer: They will carry 3 if need be but I also see them trying to trade Hoyer on draft day (KC, Browns?). Diagnosis, all set at QB

Agree.

Defense:

DB - McCourty, Arrington, Ras, Brown, Chung, Gregory, Moore, Williams, Allen, Cole: I grouped them all together because depending on how they feel about McCourty will determine how they might approach the draft. If they view McCourty as a CB then the CB core might be alright without drafting an additional player but the S core will need some help, if they view McCourty as a FS then they might not need to draft a S but will need to find a replacement for the CB core. Diagnosis they will draft 1-2 DB's in the draft
    Agree.

LB - Mayo, Fletcher, Tarp, Nin, Niko, Cunningham, Spikes, White, Carter, Carpenter, Scott: It's a lot of names but not many starters. The ILB looks solid without the addition of another body but there still is a hole on the edge rushing position. Diagnosis, at least 1 edge rusher

Agree.  I think they have 3 solid ILB’s (Mayo/Spikes/Fletcher) and while I think they could add some more depth, it’s not a necessity.

DL - Wilfork, Pryor, Deadrick, Love, Brace, Fenena, Silvestro, Harrison: Other then Wilfork all the other players will need to prove they can handle a full time starting job. Deadrick, Love, Brace to me all look like backups and rotational type of players with Fenena being a possibility to be a full time starter. They need to get some consistency in their pass rush and help with the run up the middle. I expect Carter to be back but it's still unsure what he can provide. Diagnosis, at least 1 interior DL

Agree.

Sections
Shortcuts