***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12!

If the stars align...

27.  Shea McClellin
    31.  Harrison Smith
    47.  LaMichael James
    62.  Derek Wolfe
    93.  Janoris Jenkins
    126. Senio Kelemente

Our defense would be dramatically improved and can you imagine and offensive set with Welker, Lloyd, Gronk, Hernandez and James?  Who is going to be able to stop 5 big time weapons?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsiefan. Show pumpsiefan's posts

Call me crazy but I am still holding out hope that BB has fallen in love with Richardson or Kuelchy as "once in a generation players" and sells the farm for one of them. Brady has 4-5 years left and you GOTTA get him a couple of difference makers, on both sides of the ball.
    You draft Kuelchy, trade for Omi, hope that Dowling or McCourtney can morph into a primo FS, and you got yourself a seriously upgraded D.
    Add Richardson or even Blackmon to the offense and it is different party.
    Difference makers, playmakers - they win championships. Ron Brace doesn't win you a title. Or Donald Butler. Or Jerome Cunningham. Please, for the love of Babe and Gino, no more second round JAGs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

And Draft Day is officially upon us!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

YEAH!!!! finallly

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

you guys up already!
    i havent turned in yet.
    wait, that's right, its "christmas"!
    see you tonight after the draft.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I am but bredbru man, I feel like I'm reading one of Laz's posts when I see your thread titles on the main page. Short and sweet man. Thank god you don't have those in capital letters like you use to, lol

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Happy draft day everyone! Is everyone going to be online tonight at draft time? Would love to discuss the various picks as round 1 unfolds.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from paularnold. Show paularnold's posts

One other player who was once a surefire top ten pick who has seemed to be falling recently is Quinton Coples.  I'm not so sure of his ability to play 3-4 OLB, he seems right on the cusp of being too heavy and so I don't know how he'd hold up in coverage.  I know the knocks on him as he didn't play as hard as he could have his senior year and that he may have been playing not to get hurt.  Make no mistake though, this kid is an athletic freak and if he slid into the late teens or early 20's would he be a guy worth moving up to get?  He has the prototypical size of a 4-3 DE at 6-5 285 so it might really be a stretch to fit him into the OLB position.  Comparatively, Willie Mac was 6-5 270 and was probably as big as you would want out there.  Was just kind of throwing him out there because he hasn't been discussed much because it seemed like he was completely out of range for much of the process.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12!:
    One other player who was once a surefire top ten pick who has seemed to be falling recently is Quinton Coples.  I'm not so sure of his ability to play 3-4 OLB, he seems right on the cusp of being too heavy and so I don't know how he'd hold up in coverage.  I know the knocks on him as he didn't play as hard as he could have his senior year and that he may have been playing not to get hurt.  Make no mistake though, this kid is an athletic freak and if he slid into the late teens or early 20's would he be a guy worth moving up to get?  He has the prototypical size of a 4-3 DE at 6-5 285 so it might really be a stretch to fit him into the OLB position.  Comparatively, Willie Mac was 6-5 270 and was probably as big as you would want out there.  Was just kind of throwing him out there because he hasn't been discussed much because it seemed like he was completely out of range for much of the process.
    Posted by paularnold

One big reason Coples is dropping, and the main reason I don't want him on the team, is his complete lack of effort. He admitted that he didn't give 100% his senior year because he didn't want to get hurt before the draft. Image what he's going to do before any contract year. From multiple reports that lack of effort came through in interviews too. A number of different sources said that he sounded lazy in interviews and didn't appear as if he even wanted to be in the interviews.

That's a huge red flag for me. In the 1st and 2nd actually I want big motor guys. You can teach technique, you can't teach motor

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Its here! Draft day, should be a national holiday lol

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I'll be online PL, have my man cave under lock and key.  No one allowed down here the second the draft starts.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I'll be here Lifer. I'm starting to get very excited actually. I don't know why but if Upshaw or Brockers falls to #23 I think the Pats move up 4 spots to grab one of them.

The reason I believe that is that the Lions are looking for OL and either Glenn or Adams will be available at #27 so they can move back and grab an extra pick while still getting there guy. The Pats would be jumping in front of Pit, Hou, Den all of which could be looking at front 7 players. My guess would be the trade would be the Pats #27 and a 3rd and get back #23 and a 5th. Then they can trade back #31 for a 3rd this year and a 1st next year. Essentially it would be like trading both 1st's to get a player they want, a 1st next year, move up in the 3rd and a 5th this year. Not a bad deal imo

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Morning Boys, awake and ready for some draft talk! 

Two days later and I still want Ronnell Lewis in Rd 2!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I think I'd want McClellin, Upshaw, Perry before Lewis but if none are available or they go Reyes or Brockers then Lewis would be a great consolation prize in the 2nd.

I'd also have to take a hard long look at Vinny Curry before Lewis too. Lewis played in the better conference and put up great numbers but for some reason I keep feeling Curry as the talent and drive to be better. If only Curry was in the same conference we could get a apples to apples comparison but for now I'm going with Curry being the better pass rusher of the two and a 43 DE/34 OLB which adds some flexibility we lost with Anderson and maybe Carter. Lewis is a pure OLB with better coverage abilities in either a 34 or 43. So imo it comes down to whether you want the better pass rusher or the better coverage LB

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

have heard now from two "experts" the Pats are extremely high on Chandler Jones Syracuse.  Mayock has him ranked in the top 10 (#9) in his top 100 prospects and said 3 years from now he will be the best D player to come out of this draft.

Could this be a smoke screen?  I find it hard to believe the Pats never give anything accurate on their board and all of the sudden a few experts have inside information on how high the Pats are on Jones.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Morning Boys,

Below is my Final Mock V4, today is the day. As you all probably know by now, Mark Barron is the top player on my board and has been since very early on. 

I’m also realistic to the fact that he’ll prob be off the board when NE is slotted to select at both 27 and 31, if he isn’t, he’s my guy. 

ü The top of my Rd 1 Board today looks like this, though I think will likely be gone by 27/31:  

S- Mark BarronDL- Michael Brockers

ü
     I’m also of the belief that when all is said and done, BB will likely have traded one of, if not both of his Rd 1 picks due to some combo of maybe moving up into the early 20’s to draft a player that is sliding a bit and/or to move back to acquire more picks for this year and the future as he seems to do every year.

With that being said, below is my projection, not factoring in potential trades: 

27-
    Courtney Upshaw- BB finally gets his high round edge rusher.   I think he makes too much sense for them.   A lot of experience against elite competition and in a BB style 34 defense (which should reduce his ramp up time), has excellent upside as an edge rusher, is well versed in a BB style 34 scheme, kid also has good size, plays with a huge motor and is very stout/physical vs. the run.  He brings scheme versatility with the ability to play on his feet in a 34 and with his hand in the dirt when they go 43.  He projects as 3 down backer at the NFL level. Alternatives: Donta Hightower- LB- Alabama / Stephon Gilmore CB/S South Carolina

31- Harrison Smith- S- ND- Very good size, moves well, very instinctive and always around the football, good ball skills, good tackler with knockout potential, has the ability to play in the deep half/third as well as down in the box and is very strong is run support.  He’s also a team leader/captain with very good character; another great fit in NE. Alternatives: Shea McClellin- OLB/ILB/DE- Boise State. / Doug Martin- RB- Boise State. 

48-
    Kendall Reyes- DL- UConn- Very good character/team captain, good size and athleticism, smart kid, scheme diverse and has a big motor, moves very well for a kid his size (6-4 299).  He’s another kid that fits the Patriot’s player profile and would make an excellent addition upfront.  Alternatives: Josh Robinson- CB- UCF / Alshon Jeffery- WR- South Carolina / Amini Silatolu- OG- Midwestern State.

-
    Ronnell Lewis LB Oklahoma- BB sees his new generation LT; kid wears #56 at Oklahoma and plays with the same “pack of crazed dogs” mentality.  He’s very quick off the snap, has excellent plays speed and a violent/ferocious temperament.  He’s strong enough to set the edge vs. the run, has excellent range and displays solid instincts/awareness.  He’s also has the COD and athleticism to drop into coverage.  Also a potential All-Pro on special teams. Alternatives:  Alameda Ta’amu- DL- Washington / Bruce Irvin- OLB/DE- West Virginia / Mohamed Sanu- WR- Rutgers

93- Ron Brooks CB/S LSU- Overshadowed a bit by Morris Claiborne and The Honey Badger, but this kid is also a very good defensive back with play making ability.  Decent site (5-10 190) with 4.3 speed and excellent quicks, versatile and can prob play both CB & S, physical kid, effective blitzer and is proven against SEC competition.  He’s yet another prospect that also projects as an excellent special team’s player. Alternatives:  / Marvin Jones- WR- Cal. / Derek Wolfe- DL- Cincinnati / Cam Johnson- DE/OLB- Virginia / Jayron Hosley- CB- Virginia Tech

126-
    Greg Childs- WR- Arkansas- This would be a great value pick IMO, as the kid has Rd 1/2 talent (he could also be an option in Rd 3).  Very good size/speed combo, good quicks and RAC ability, physical player with upside as a blocker and isn’t afraid to work the middle of the field.  He’s also well schooled in a pro-style offense and BB should be familiar with him due to time spent scouting Ryan Mallet. Alternatives:  Devon Wylie- WR- Fresno State Arkansas / Joe Adams- WR/RS- Arkansas / Josh Chapman- DL- Alabama / Senio Kelemete- OG- Washington  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : Cool man. What don't you like about Upshaw?  I think he's a very good football player, makes plays behind the LOS, consistently good motor, very physical and could be the best run defender of any of the edge guys in this class. 
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

I actually don't dislike Upshaw. In my opinion I just think players this year , and to some extent every year but especially this year, have a lot of parity. Players from like 17 to like 40 or something, to me, are very similar.

I really don't think I would feel the need to take upshaw when I think other guys like Lewis are just as good and you can get them later.

I think I have mentioned this to you before but I am also very leary and always feel players from a total team defense that was one of the best in college often get over drafted. Not saying they are not good players but believe they get over drafted. Ohio state had a defense like that I think the year AJ Hawk came out. Good player but I think he and others were over drafted.

For me I think evaluators have to be consistent. People can't say Jared Crick , for one example, was only good because he was playing next to Suh and then turn around and say Hightower, Barron, Upshaw, and Kirkpatrick are just that good all on their own and don't benefit at all from playing next to other very good players.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Happy draft day everyone! Is everyone going to be online tonight at draft time? Would love to discuss the various picks as round 1 unfolds.
    Posted by PatsLifer

I'll be on and off, have the broski's coming over to watch an there may or may not be alcohol involved... will certainly be on afterwards though.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I'll be here Lifer. I'm starting to get very excited actually. I don't know why but if Upshaw or Brockers falls to #23 I think the Pats move up 4 spots to grab one of them. The reason I believe that is that the Lions are looking for OL and either Glenn or Adams will be available at #27 so they can move back and grab an extra pick while still getting there guy. The Pats would be jumping in front of Pit, Hou, Den all of which could be looking at front 7 players. My guess would be the trade would be the Pats #27 and a 3rd and get back #23 and a 5th. Then they can trade back #31 for a 3rd this year and a 1st next year. Essentially it would be like trading both 1st's to get a player they want, a 1st next year, move up in the 3rd and a 5th this year. Not a bad deal imo
    Posted by PatsEng

I agree 100% Eng. If one of those guys gets to #23, I think the Lions are a very likely trade partner.  I think we'll have to get in front of Denver for Brockers if he gets that far.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I'll be here Lifer. I'm starting to get very excited actually. I don't know why but if Upshaw or Brockers falls to #23 I think the Pats move up 4 spots to grab one of them. The reason I believe that is that the Lions are looking for OL and either Glenn or Adams will be available at #27 so they can move back and grab an extra pick while still getting there guy. The Pats would be jumping in front of Pit, Hou, Den all of which could be looking at front 7 players. My guess would be the trade would be the Pats #27 and a 3rd and get back #23 and a 5th. Then they can trade back #31 for a 3rd this year and a 1st next year. Essentially it would be like trading both 1st's to get a player they want, a 1st next year, move up in the 3rd and a 5th this year. Not a bad deal imo
    Posted by PatsEng

Makes a ton of sense and I hope you're right.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Morning Boys, Below is my Final Mock V4, today is the day. As you all probably know by now, Mark Barron is the top player on my board and has been since very early on.  I’m also realistic to the fact that he’ll prob be off the board when NE is slotted to select at both 27 and 31, if he isn’t, he’s my guy.  ü   The top of my Rd 1 Board today looks like this, though I think will likely be gone by 27/31:    S- Mark Barron DL- Michael Brockers ü  I’m also of the belief that when all is said and done, BB will likely have traded one of, if not both of his Rd 1 picks due to some combo of maybe moving up into the early 20’s to draft a player that is sliding a bit and/or to move back to acquire more picks for this year and the future as he seems to do every year. With that being said, below is my projection, not factoring in potential trades:  27- Courtney Upshaw - BB finally gets his high round edge rusher.     I think he makes too much sense for them.   A lot of experience against elite competition and in a BB style 34 defense (which should reduce his ramp up time), has excellent upside as an edge rusher, is well versed in a BB style 34 scheme, kid also has good size, plays with a huge motor and is very stout/physical vs. the run.   He brings scheme versatility with the ability to play on his feet in a 34 and with his hand in the dirt when they go 43.   He projects as 3 down backer at the NFL level. Alternatives: Donta Hightower- LB- Alabama / Stephon Gilmore CB/S South Carolina   31 - Harrison Smith- S- ND - Very good size, moves well, very instinctive and always around the football, good ball skills, good tackler with knockout potential, has the ability to play in the deep half/third as well as down in the box and is very strong is run support.  He’s also a team leader/captain with very good character; another great fit in NE. Alternatives: Shea McClellin- OLB/ILB/DE- Boise State. / Doug Martin- RB- Boise State.   48 - Kendall Reyes- DL- UConn - Very good character/team captain, good size and athleticism, smart kid, scheme diverse and has a big motor, moves very well for a kid his size (6-4 299).  He’s another kid that fits the Patriot’s player profile and would make an excellent addition upfront.  Alternatives: Josh Robinson- CB- UCF / Alshon Jeffery- WR- South Carolina / Amini Silatolu- OG- Midwestern State.   62 - Ronnell Lewis LB Oklahoma - BB sees his new generation LT; kid wears #56 at Oklahoma and plays with the same “pack of crazed dogs” mentality.   He’s very quick off the snap, has excellent plays speed and a violent/ferocious temperament.   He’s strong enough to set the edge vs. the run, has excellent range and displays solid instincts/awareness.   He’s also has the COD and athleticism to drop into coverage.   Also a potential All-Pro on special teams. Alternatives:  Alameda Ta’amu- DL- Washington / Bruce Irvin- OLB/DE- West Virginia / Mohamed Sanu- WR- Rutgers 93 - Ron Brooks CB/S LSU - Overshadowed a bit by Morris Claiborne and The Honey Badger, but this kid is also a very good defensive back with play making ability.   Decent site (5-10 190) with 4.3 speed and excellent quicks, versatile and can prob play both CB & S, physical kid, effective blitzer and is proven against SEC competition.   He’s yet another prospect that also projects as an excellent special team’s player. Alternatives:  / Marvin Jones- WR- Cal. / Derek Wolfe- DL- Cincinnati / Cam Johnson- DE/OLB- Virginia / Jayron Hosley- CB- Virginia Tech 126 - Greg Childs- WR- Arkansas - This would be a great value pick IMO, as the kid has Rd 1/2 talent (he could also be an option in Rd 3).  Very good size/speed combo, good quicks and RAC ability, physical player with upside as a blocker and isn’t afraid to work the middle of the field.  He’s also well schooled in a pro-style offense and BB should be familiar with him due to time spent scouting Ryan Mallet. Alternatives:  Devon Wylie- WR- Fresno State Arkansas / Joe Adams- WR/RS- Arkansas / Josh Chapman- DL- Alabama / Senio Kelemete- OG- Washington    
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

This would be an awesome draft, MB. Solid players throughout, just like BB likes it. Nice work bro!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

have heard now from two "experts" the Pats are extremely high on Chandler Jones Syracuse.  Mayock has him ranked in the top 10 (#9) in his top 100 prospects and said 3 years from now he will be the best D player to come out of this draft. Could this be a smoke screen?  I find it hard to believe the Pats never give anything accurate on their board and all of the sudden a few experts have inside information on how high the Pats are on Jones.
    Posted by Pats7393

This wreaks of Robertson in 03', Gholston in 08', Tebow in 10', and Ingram in 11' to me.

It was also reported that they might trade up for Barron and they really want McClellin. In addition it was 'leaked' yesterday that they had a 11th hour workout with Kendell Wright the WR. Whenever you hear about these players drawing a lot of interest from the Pats right before the draft then it's likely they won't be taken and the Pats are trying to drum up interest to make another player fall or to entice a trade.

Right now at #31 players I see rumors about that might cause a team to trade up are:

K Wright
    D Martin
    J Jenkins

Players I've heard lose connection of interest but nothing concrete:

M Brockers
    C Upshaw
    H Smith

Players I've heard direct connection from sources are:

S McClellin
    M Barron
    C Jones

Now odds say that they loose connections are the most likely targets or players that they've brought in for looks but have no connection:

Wolfe
    Irvin
    Perry
    David
    Lewis

So those would be the names I'd be looking out for

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : This would be an awesome draft, MB. Solid players throughout, just like BB likes it. Nice work bro!
    Posted by WazzuWheatfarmer

Thanks, man!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : This wreaks of Robertson in 03', Gholston in 08', Tebow in 10', and Ingram in 11' to me. It was also reported that they might trade up for Barron and they really want McClellin. In addition it was 'leaked' yesterday that they had a 11th hour workout with Kendell Wright the WR. Whenever you hear about these players drawing a lot of interest from the Pats right before the draft then it's likely they won't be taken and the Pats are trying to drum up interest to make another player fall or to entice a trade. Right now at #31 players I see rumors about that might cause a team to trade up are: K Wright D Martin J Jenkins Players I've heard lose connection of interest but nothing concrete: M Brockers C Upshaw H Smith Players I've heard direct connection from sources are: S McClellin M Barron C Jones Now odds say that they loose connections are the most likely targets or players that they've brought in for looks but have no connection: Wolfe Irvin Perry David Lewis So those would be the names I'd be looking out for
    Posted by PatsEng

I'm in agreeance.  I just don't see where Chandler Jones fits in, unless they're looking to go base 43 and I don't think that's what BB wants to do.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Great. Looks like most of us will be online and ready to exchange comments on the picks as the draft unfolds. 

I like PatsEng's idea about moving up a few spots for Brockers via trade with Detroit. Detroit should be a friendly trade partner, and if they are targeting an OL in round 1 like Adams, I agree he should be there at 27. IF Brockers make it to Detroits pick, this would be my way to go in round 1. How long have we been looking for Seymour's replacement? This could be it, plus Brockers plays very well on the interior of the line. I like this pick. 

I agree with Low's comments on Lewis. I think he would be a very welcomed addition to the Pats LB & ST corps. He plays aggressive, loves to hit, and I think can develop into a very good LB. Should be versatile enough to play inside or out. The only issue with Lewis that I see when compared to Perry or Upshaw is he is not particularly known for his pass rushing skills at this point. can he develop? sure, but we need production here now. My only reservation on Lewis at this point unless the Pats double down and grab Curry or someone like that as well with pass rush production. I think Lewis is going to go middle to top of round 2. We would need to pounce on him with a slight trade down from 31. 

What's everyone's take on the Pats travelling to Waco this week to workout Kendall Wright? I considered the Pats taking a WR, but not early. Could this be the pick no one sees coming from BB? Hard to believe given it's public knowledge now, but this is a kid that could slip into round 2 where I think he has great value. 

Sections
Shortcuts