***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! THANKS TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12!

In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12!:
    [QUOTE]Chandler Jones @9the best player in the draft is shocking to me. I didn't think Jones would go in the 1st round. Back to youtube.
    Posted by pats-fan-2007[/QUOTE]

well that's the problem right. to us, youtube = game tape, actually, game tapes. i am with you. i just was not impressed based on what i saw on youtube. but of course we are amateurs with less video to go by.

to be honest, i have a few that i hope bb would not take, but if he does, i would trust he saw something i did not. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

would you guys be willing to pay for end zone view videos? i wish nfl would offer to stream that for a fee. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Seattle, I'd pony up some minor bucks for some better video.

A player that has stood out in the youtube is Lavonte David, LB Nebraska.

Very quick, fast and instinctive. But may not be big enough to play LB.

Can he become that hybrid LB/Safety?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

One guy that we haven't discussed much, who I think has a very good chance of being drafted by NE in the 3rd or 4th round, is Jaye Howard, DT Florida.  He excells as a run-stuffer, but has the skills to get into the backfield.  Also, BB likes his Florida guys...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]1 st round (27) Whitney Mercilus*, DE/OLB, Illinois Height: 6-4. Weight: 261. 40 Time: 4.63. 10-Yd Split: 1.56. Bench: 27. Vertical: 32. Broad: 9-10. Arm: 33 7/8. Projected Round (2012): 1. 1 st round (31) Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford Height: 6-6. Weight: 247. Projected 40 Time: 4.71. Bench: 27. Arm: 27. Hand: 10. Projected Round (2012): 1-2. 2 nd round (48 from Oakland) Kendall Reyes, DE/DT, Connecticut Height: 6-4. Weight: 299. 40 Time: 4.79. Bench: 36. Vertical: 34.5. Broad: 9-5. Arm: 33 1/4. Hand: 9 1/2. Projected Round (2012): 1-2. 2 nd round (62) Trade for 3 rd , 4 th , 5 th , 6 th , round pick 276 points= 3 rd ~150, 4 th ~80, 5 th ~35, 6 th ~21   for a total of ~286 3 rd from trade George Iloka, S, Boise State Height: 6-4. Weight: 225. 40 Time: 4.59. Bench: 20. Vertical: 34.5. Broad: 10-4. Arm: 34 1/2. Hand: 9 5/8. Projected Round (2012): 3-4. 3 rd pick 93 Isaiah Pead, RB, Cincinnati Height: 5-10. Weight: 197. 40 Time: 4.41. 10-Yd Split: 1.50 Vertical: 33. Broad: 9-8. Arm: 31. Hand: 8 5/8. Projected Round (2012): 3-4. 4 th round pick (126) Jake Bequette, DE/OLB, Arkansas Height: 6-5. Weight: 275. 40 Time: 4.78. 10-Yd Split: 1.72. Vertical: 34. Broad: 9-5. Arm: 32. Hand: 9 1/4. Projected Round (2012): 4. 4 th round (from trade) Kashif Moore, WR, U Conneticut Height: 5-9. Weight: 194. 40 Time: 4.41. Vertical: 43.5. Projected Round (2012): 4-5. 5 th round from trade Coryell Judie, CB, Texas A&M Height: 6-0. Weight: 194. 40 Time: 4.44. 10-Yd Split: 1.51. Vertical: 37. Broad: 10-6. Arm: 30 1/4. Projected Round (2012): 4-5. 6 th round (from trade) Ryan Miller, G, Colorado Height: 6-7. Weight: 321. 40 Time: 5.27. Bench: 32. Arm: 33 1/8. Projected Round (2012): 6 7 th round (trade for with philly) Louis Nzegwu, DE/OLB, Wisconsin Height: 6-4. Weight: 253. 40 Time: 4.54. Bench: 22. Arm: 33 3/4. 41.5” vertical jump! Projected Round (2012): 7-FA
    Posted by natesubs[/QUOTE]

i like the top half
    dontr knwo many of the rest well.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]I'm going to tweak my previous mock with just a few days left till the draft.  #11 (From KC) Mark Barron  Safety  Bama   BB sends picks 31, 62, and Backup QB Brian Hoyer to KC in order to grab the best Safety in this draft, and probably the best Safety prospect since Eric Berry.  Having Barron paired with Chung gives NE arguably the best young Safety tamdem in the NFL.  This is a bold move by BB, but the new rookie salary cap makes it much more practical. NE also gets KC's 6th rounder back in this deal. #37 (From Clev)  Alshon Jeffery WR South Carolina  This pick could be the "steal of the draft."  Last September, going into the 2011 CFB season, Jeffery was a consensus Top 10 pick, with many experts predicting him to come off the board ahead of Blackmon. Through the season, S. Car suffered from terrible QB play, consequently limiting Jeffery's opportuinites. Then his off-season was marred by rumored weight fluxuation, although he was in good shape at the combine.  Bottom line is that Jeffery is an elite pass catcher. No one in this draft goes up and gets it better than Jeffery, and while he isn't a blazer, he has good speed and has shown the ability to get open on the perimeter against SEC defenses. Cleveland sends NE pick #37 & a 2013 2nd in exchange for #27, where they select QB Brandon Weeden. #51 (From Philly)  Derek Wolfe  DE/DT Cinncy.  PatsEng has been right about this guy all along.  He will be an effective 3-4 DE in NE's defense.  Terriffic motor, great awareness, and above average pass-rush potential for his size.  He has also bulked up close to 300 lbs.  He's been mentioned as a late first rounder, but I think that he ultimately comes off the board mid-second round.  BB keeps the annual trade streak with Andy Reid alive here, as Philly jumps up to grab Bobby Wagner, giving NE this pick (51), and a 2013 5th. #93 Josh Chapman DT Bama. I think this could be a classic BB "plan for the future" value pick. I think Chapman is an under-rated prospect in this class. He looks like he could fit perfectly as a NT in a 3-4, and I believe NE could draft him with the idea that he could be the replacement for Wilfork when the sad day comes when Big Vince hangs it up. Love the value here. #126  Oliver Vernon OLB/DE Miami    From a pure talent stand-point, Vernon is among the best 3-4 OLB in this draft.  He has explosive pass rush ability and has shown the willingness and ability to play in coverage. Just a tremendous all-around athlete. So why is he still on the board in the 4th round? He is pretty raw, and was involved in the player payment scandal at The U. Questionable charater, but worth the gamble here. 6th round (From KC) Tom Compton OT South Dakota 6'6" OT who has pretty good footwork. Fits the mold for what BB like in OTs as far as size. Pretty raw coming from a small program, but Scar could coach this guy up really well.  Likely a Practice Squad kid to begin with, but likely would develop into a valuable reserve OT with Light gone and Vollmer's back a constant worry.
    Posted by WazzuWheatfarmer[/QUOTE]

helluva draft.
    jeffery puts it over the top.
    i dont know that barron is worth 2 #s
    but you seem to make it work with the whole draft you got.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : I too have dropped McClellin to the Rd 2-3 range... concussions are a serious issue. I have Upshaw as my #1 LB, followed by Hightower and then prob Ronnell Lewis, McClellin then Irvin. Without concussion issues, I'd prob reverse Lewis and McClellin. As far as DE/OLB conversions, it's prob Perry, Curry, Jones then Branch for me, in that order. I'm with you on Brockers, have him 2nd on my board behind Barron, but would be fVcken jacked to hear his name call on draft day.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

the severity of the concussion is the issue. i had more than a handful and had no effect short or longterm.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to "Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12!": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : Haven't seen it yet but knew it was released.  He was talking up Chandler Jones big time on Path to the Draft tonight.  I can see MIA taking Barron and doubt he gets past BUF.  Teams in the AFC East have one thing on their mind, how to beat TB and the Pats.  Slowing down Gronk/Hern and the boys are job #1.  That's why BUF signed Mario Williams.  I'm telling ya, we are in the Jets, Dolphins and Bill's minds so bad messin' with their heads that their entire draft and thought process is based on how to beat us.  I think MIA takes Floyd or Barron and would be shocked if they don't take one of them. Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE] I'm not sure what Mayock sees in chandler jones, especially rating him so high. He might have potential like a JPP, but he is far from finished. If he could develop into a JPPntype player and Mayock sees this, thus rating him so high, then I can agree..I just dont see him like this today. Teams in the AFC east should take a page from the giants play book on stopping brady and our o. Based on what buffalo has done via the draft and FA, they could be a very good defense next year, and put pressure on brady limiting his time to dissect.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to "Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12!": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : Faucet - I love Smith's intelligence and his ability to tackle and hit hard but there are very few I would compare to Harrison. However, it does point out what I thought of Smith, a better S closer to the line and in the box then asking him to cover intermediate to deep parts of the field in the typical FS role BB used Slater, Moore, and McCourty in last year. With Harrison being drafted in the 5th, every so often a pro-bowler is taken later then the 3rd round. Usually 1 player every 1-2 years. There have been a number of S's since Harrison has left the game that people have tried to compare to him and disappeared. Not saying Smith will disappear but I think it's more likely Smith is going to be a solid better then average S over his career (trust me that by itself is more then worth a 2nd round pick) with maybe a couple of pro-bowls but he has a way to go before reaching the level Harrison reached Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE] We might be in the minority on smith. Again, like him, but I want to also consider value and where this kid should be drafted. I am still of the belief we would be better off with Moore or McCourty at fs next year, or drafting a big corner and converting vs taking smith especially with Chung and Gregory (plus others) on the roster. Cb is deep as we all know in this years draft. Why not capitalize on that? Heck, if Gilmore or kirkpatrick slipped within range, they would be great pickups and moving Moore or McCourty would work. Imagine having Ras and Gilmore/Kirkpatrick as your starting cb's with McCourty deep with Chung. Bring Moore in for nickel, Arrington in dime and that is a solid grouping. I personally like that better than adding smith to that list. Just my opinion guys.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12!": We might be in the minority on smith. Again, like him, but I want to also consider value and where this kid should be drafted. I am still of the belief we would be better off with Moore or McCourty at fs next year, or drafting a big corner and converting vs taking smith especially with Chung and Gregory (plus others) on the roster. Cb is deep as we all know in this years draft. Why not capitalize on that? Heck, if Gilmore or kirkpatrick slipped within range, they would be great pickups and moving Moore or McCourty would work. Imagine having Ras and Gilmore/Kirkpatrick as your starting cb's with McCourty deep with Chung. Bring Moore in for nickel, Arrington in dime and that is a solid grouping. I personally like that better than adding smith to that list. Just my opinion guys.
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

lifer i have proposed the same thing you do above a couple times or 3 on this very thread. gilmore i expect to be long gone. 

kirpatrick should be gone early 20's but a chance he is in reach to trade up.
    jenkins has a better chance to be had without a trade up (if he checked out)
    (kirpatrick has been 1/2 of my cb pick for this draft. i want him or jenkins).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from speedster81. Show speedster81's posts

[QUOTE]Seattle, I'd pony up some minor bucks for some better video. A player that has stood out in the youtube is Lavonte David, LB Nebraska. Very quick, fast and instinctive. But may not be big enough to play LB. Can he become that hybrid LB/Safety?
    Posted by pats-fan-2007[/QUOTE]

Ha, I was just thinking the same exact thing. Watching him play, he covers man to man better than any of our LB's and safeties.Most of the draft discussion on this board has focussed on drafting 3-4 personell with our early picks even though we have played more 4 man fronts than 3-4 over the last 3 years percentage wise. Is it too radical a suggestion that we focus instead on strengthening our 4-3/4-2-5 personel rather than just focusing on strictly 3-4 guys?

Such an approach would vault little discussed players such as Lavonte David LB Nebraska, Jared Crick DE, DT Nebraska, Malik Jackson DE Tennessee, Chandler Jones DE Syracuse,Jerel Worthy DT, Brandon Thompson DT, Devon Still DT and Derek Wolfe DE,DT Cincinatti to more prominence.

As pertains to Safety, I would draft J.Jenkins and move McCourty to FS.Talent wise, that seems like the best option.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : Ha, I was just thinking the same exact thing. Watching him play, he covers man to man better than any of our LB's and safeties.Most of the draft discussion on this board has focussed on drafting 3-4 personell with our early picks even though we have played more 4 man fronts than 3-4 over the last 3 years percentage wise. Is it too radical a suggestion that we focus instead on strengthening our 4-3/4-2-5 personel rather than just focusing on strictly 3-4 guys? Such an approach would vault little discussed players such as Lavonte David LB Nebraska, Jared Crick DE, DT Nebraska, Malik Jackson DE Tennessee, Chandler Jones DE Syracuse,Jerel Worthy DT, Brandon Thompson DT, Devon Still DT and Derek Wolfe DE,DT Cincinatti to more prominence. As pertains to Safety, I would draft J.Jenkins and move McCourty to FS.Talent wise, that seems like the best option.
    Posted by speedster81[/QUOTE]

That's a bit of a misnomer. We've played more sub packages then 34 fronts but when you break down individual formations we've played more 34 fronts (including variations) then we have 43 fronts.

However, BB has and will continue to use a hybrid 34/43 system depending on situation and opponent so I think most of us are looking for the most flexible players in the early rounds. IE, interior pass rusher that can play 34 DE or 43 DT (Still, Brockers, Reyes, Wolfe), edge rusher that can play 34 OLB or 43 DE (Curry, McClellin, Branch, Perry, Upshaw), and LB's that can be coverage OLB's in 43 or move to ILB's in a 34 (Lewis, Hightower). Heck some of us are even looking at FS's who can be situational CB's or general S that can play both FS and SS

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

My previous mock was a "what I want NE to do."  After further consideration and looking at some of the latest player rankings (Mayock's especially), here is another version.  This version is more realistic, what I think BB will do this weekend.

#27  I've given up on the idea of trading up more than just a few picks, if that.  At the end of the day, it just doesn't fit what BB likes to do on draft day.  I have them staying at 27 and selecting the falling Michael Brockers  DT/DE  LSU.  2 weeks ago I would have never imagined he could be available this late (and I admit the odds are still against it), but in a scenario where Denver chooses Worthy at 25, I think it could happen.  This would be a gift...

#37 (From Clev)  BB does what he does best and selects another player with a 1st round grade, who fell a bit due to concussion issues.  Shea McClellin  OLB/DE BSU  gets the nod here.  Although the 3 concussions in college are a concern, McClellin's motor and ability win the Patriots over.  After passing on Clay Matthews several years ago, BB is happy to pounce on this pass-rusher who has drawn many comparisons to Clay.  Cleveland sends NE pick #37, their 2012 4th, & a 2013 3rd in exchange for #31, where they select QB Brandon Weeden.

#51 (From Philly)    A suprise pick here for some, but I love the coverage skills of this Big 12 LB from Nebraska, Lavonte David.  This kid may be a bit undersized, but he plays bigger than he is, and his ability to cover slot recievers and TEs is something that NE's defense was sorely missing last season.  He has terrific speed and could also be a pass rushing asset for the Patriots.  BB keeps the annual trade streak with Andy Reid alive here, as Philly jumps up to grab Zach Brown, giving NE this pick (51), and a 2013 5th.

#75 (From KC) Finally Pats fans can breathe a sigh of relief, as the safety position get addressed here in the form of Brandon Taylor  S  LSU.  Taylor is not the flashiest name in the draft, but he is a very solid player who will be a huge upgrade in the Patriot's secondary.  Solid player who has been battle-tested against the best conference in the country.  KC moved up to pick 62 in exchange for this pick (75) a 6th this year, and a 2013 2nd.

#93 Josh Chapman  DT  Bama. I think this could be a classic BB "plan for the future" value pick. I think Chapman is an under-rated prospect in this class. He looks like he could fit perfectly as a NT in a 3-4, and I believe NE could draft him with the idea that he could be the replacement for Wilfork when the sad day comes when Big Vince hangs it up. Love the value here.

#100 (From Clev) Jaye Howard DE/DT Florida  Howard could be a steal here. He was great against the run at Florida, but has the ability to penetrate the pocket with a powerful bull-rush. Played mostly on the interior of the DL in college, but has a quick enough first step to play as a 5 tech for NE.

#126  Although already crowded at WR after a busy FA period, BB still decides to bring a talented rookie in.  Greg Childs WR Arkansas would have never been available here were it not for an ACL injury.  He has recovered well from it, however, as evidence of his outstanding Pro Day.  This guy could be the big, fast, physical outside threat that we as Patriot fans have been craving since Moss left town.  Child's relationship with college teammate Ryan Mallet probably doesn't hurt either...

6th round (From KC)  Tom Compton OT South Dakota  6'6" OT who has pretty good footwork. Fits the mold for what BB like in OTs as far as size. Pretty raw coming from a small program, but Scar could coach this guy up really well. Likely a Practice Squad kid to begin with, but likely would develop into a valuable reserve OT with Light gone and Vollmer's back a constant worry.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsiefan. Show pumpsiefan's posts

ENOUGH ENOUGH ENOUGH
    IMPACT IMPACT IMPACT
    UP UP UP.

With all the respect in the world to Mb, PatEng, Faucet, SeattlePat and the other PHD's here, I really don't want to hear about Harrison Smith or Kendal Reyes or any of those tier two guys again.
    Haven't we had enough of Brace, Butler and Cunningham? And we don't know if Chung can stay healthy or McCourtney bounceS back or if Dowling can stay on the field. Enough with the second tier JAGs.
    Word is that half the teams drafting in the top ten are looking to trade down. We have the ammunition with the four picks in the top two rounds plus either Hoyer or Mallet. Get us a couple of impact players.
    Would 27 and 48 and Hoyer get us Minny's or Tampa Bays high pick? Would 31 and 62 and a body or 2013 pick get the Pats up to the 9-14 range where they could get a Kuelchy or Brockers?
    IT IS TIME FOR IMPACT.
    How about Blackmon and Barron both?
    Or trade with Minn and another and come away with Richardson and Kuelchy.
    Or Claiborne and Brockers.
    WE DON'T NEED ANY MORE JAGs OR SECOND ROUND BUSTS.
    SCREW IT BILL, GO AGAINST THE EXPECTATIONS AND HISTORY - TRADE UP TWICE AND GET US TWO IMPACT STUDS.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : the severity of the concussion is the issue. i had more than a handful and had no effect short or longterm.
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]
    That's what you think, the rest of us aren't so sure, LOL:).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12!": We might be in the minority on smith. Again, like him, but I want to also consider value and where this kid should be drafted. I am still of the belief we would be better off with Moore or McCourty at fs next year, or drafting a big corner and converting vs taking smith especially with Chung and Gregory (plus others) on the roster. Cb is deep as we all know in this years draft. Why not capitalize on that? Heck, if Gilmore or kirkpatrick slipped within range, they would be great pickups and moving Moore or McCourty would work. Imagine having Ras and Gilmore/Kirkpatrick as your starting cb's with McCourty deep with Chung. Bring Moore in for nickel, Arrington in dime and that is a solid grouping. I personally like that better than adding smith to that list. Just my opinion guys.
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]
    Maybe that's what BB will do.  But I think he drafted McCourty to play corner and was forced to play him at FS due to injury and ineffectiveness of the other S on the team.  In my opinion, to move DM to FS and drafting a rookie to replace him, you are essentially going with two rookies since DM is very new to the position, actually three rookies because Dowling only played in two games.  Do you really want three inexperienced guys starting back there?

I would rather have DM and Dowling start at CB and draft Smith to play FS with Chung at SS.  Smith has something like 50 career starts at S and has played centerfield before so I just think it gives us a bit more experience. 

Besides, I don't think Gilmore gets out of the low teens which means Kirkpatrick won't slip all the way to 27.  I say let's take the druggie with 5 kids from 4 women at 93 and see if he can get his act together.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : That's what you think, the rest of us aren't so sure, LOL:).
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

thanks for the laugh man!
    i served that one up didnt i?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : Maybe that's what BB will do.  But I think he drafted McCourty to play corner and was forced to play him at FS due to injury and ineffectiveness of the other S on the team.  In my opinion, to move DM to FS and drafting a rookie to replace him, you are essentially going with two rookies since DM is very new to the position, actually three rookies because Dowling only played in two games.  Do you really want three inexperienced guys starting back there? I would rather have DM and Dowling start at CB and draft Smith to play FS with Chung at SS.  Smith has something like 50 career starts at S and has played centerfield before so I just think it gives us a bit more experience.  Besides, I don't think Gilmore gets out of the low teens which means Kirkpatrick won't slip all the way to 27.  I say let's take the druggie with 5 kids from 4 women at 93 and see if he can get his act together.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

" Besides, I don't think Gilmore gets out of the low teens which means Kirkpatrick won't slip all the way to 27.  I say let's take the druggie with 5 kids from 4 women at 93 and see if he can get his act together. "

laughing my @ss off!
    if he fell that far, hell yeah.

devin was served as toast all year.
    no way i put him at cb unless or until he proves to me at camp he can play like he did his first year. thats me and i hope bb feels the same. unless the goal is to lose.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

What if I told you the Pats can trade both 1st round picks and come out with starters in the 2nd and 3rd rounds at positions of need?

27 - Traded Eagles for 47 and 51, Eagles missed on Barron they won't let Smith slip by.  Getting 2 picks in the BB beloved round too tempting for him not to take.  Pats and Eagles both have a need at S but BB might think he can start Gregory (who's getting starter money) and develop a FS.

31 - Traded Rams 2013 2nd, 39 and 171, Rams get their WR in Blackmon or Floyd but they still have OL needs.  If Bradford doesn't get time really doesn't matter who they get at WR.  With the Giants needing OT Rams although they do have the first pick of day two, can't take the chance of the last 1st round grade OT to get taken off the board.  They move to 31 to get Mike Adams.

So Patriots end up no 1st round picks, but have a 2013 2nd, 5 2nd rnd picks and gain a 6th rounder.

39 - Kendall Reyes DT/DE - I know he's mocked as a 1st round but have seen a number of mocks with DTs falling to the 2nd round a run at OL, Fleener and Smith moving into the 1st round.
    47 - Vinny Curry DE/OLB - I really want to put McClellin here, I believe the 3 concusions will make him slide but how far?  IMO he's the best option at OLB for the Pats but concusions are too much of a ?, see Mike Wright.
    48 - Traded - Titans, the Eagles need an OLB Zach Brown is still on the board so Titans jump eagles and draft Zach Brown OLB. NE gets 52 and 115
    51 - Brandon Boykin CB - I've watched Boykin a ton at UGA, I really like the kid.  Although a bit undersized he plays like he's 6'4" 250lbs, ok a bit over the top but he's a physical CB for his size and can play both man or zone.  Reads plays very well.  can play and has played both inside or out.  Can be used as return guy.
    52 - George Iloka FS - Iloka can develop behind Gregory and be used on STs.  He has excellent messurables but will need to develop in coverage.
    62 - Derek Wolfe DE/DT - Wolfe can replace Wright as an interior rusher his rookie year.  He and Reyes give the Pats a good pair of young 5 technic in the making.
    93 - Traded Chiefs 2012 3rd rnd, 146 and 218. KC picks up a NT Ta'amu
    115 - Jake Bequette DE/OLB - He lead the SEC in sacks in 2011, that's good enough for me to spend a 4th round pick on him.
    126 - Jarius Wright WR - Very good route runner with top end speed, can play inside or outside.  I'm not concerned with press, Pats do enough in motions ect that Wright can get off the line.  He was an excellent receiver in the SEC going against NFL ready CBs.
    146 - Andrew Datko OT - When healthy this is a kid can be a LT in the NFL, very good feet and pass protector.  Has had a history (although started every game as sophmore and junior) of shoulder injury.  Missed his senior year due to that injury.  If he's shoulder heals this could be highway robbery.  Very good OT.
    218 - Tyler Nielsen OLB - Very good in coverage, I always need to mock at least one Iowa player and Nielsen is this year's.  He can be used to cover TEs or RBs.  He's a blitzer not a pass rusher, needs to work on getting off blocks because he spent a ton of time in coverage not playing close to the LOS. Type of player coaches find hard to cut, can play STs.  

UDFA Jonas Gray RB, this kid would had been a mid round selection but recovering from ACL.  Saw him doing some pass catching drills at Notre Dame's pro day so he seems to be recovering well. Only started for one year and needs to develop more but can be a very good power back.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]What if I told you the Pats can trade both 1st round picks and come out with starters in the 2nd and 3rd rounds at positions of need? 27 - Traded Eagles for 47 and 51, Eagles missed on Barron they won't let Smith slip by.  Getting 2 picks in the BB beloved round too tempting for him not to take.  Pats and Eagles both have a need at S but BB might think he can start Gregory (who's getting starter money) and develop a FS. 31 - Traded Rams 2013 2nd, 39 and 171, Rams get their WR in Blackmon or Floyd but they still have OL needs.  If Bradford doesn't get time really doesn't matter who they get at WR.  With the Giants needing OT Rams although they do have the first pick of day two, can't take the chance of the last 1st round grade OT to get taken off the board.  They move to 31 to get Mike Adams. So Patriots end up no 1st round picks, but have a 2013 2nd, 5 2nd rnd picks and gain a 6th rounder. 39 - Kendall Reyes DT/DE - I know he's mocked as a 1st round but have seen a number of mocks with DTs falling to the 2nd round a run at OL, Fleener and Smith moving into the 1st round. 47 - Vinny Curry DE/OLB - I really want to put McClellin here, I believe the 3 concusions will make him slide but how far?  IMO he's the best option at OLB for the Pats but concusions are too much of a ?, see Mike Wright. 48 - Traded - Titans, the Eagles need an OLB Zach Brown is still on the board so Titans jump eagles and draft Zach Brown OLB. NE gets 52 and 115 51 - Brandon Boykin CB - I've watched Boykin a ton at UGA, I really like the kid.  Although a bit undersized he plays like he's 6'4" 250lbs, ok a bit over the top but he's a physical CB for his size and can play both man or zone.  Reads plays very well.  can play and has played both inside or out.  Can be used as return guy. 52 - George Iloka FS - Iloka can develop behind Gregory and be used on STs.  He has excellent messurables but will need to develop in coverage. 62 - Derek Wolfe DE/DT - Wolfe can replace Wright as an interior rusher his rookie year.  He and Reyes give the Pats a good pair of young 5 technic in the making. 93 - Traded Chiefs 2012 3rd rnd, 146 and 218. KC picks up a NT Ta'amu 115 - Jake Bequette DE/OLB - He lead the SEC in sacks in 2011, that's good enough for me to spend a 4th round pick on him. 126 - Jarius Wright WR - Very good route runner with top end speed, can play inside or outside.  I'm not concerned with press, Pats do enough in motions ect that Wright can get off the line.  He was an excellent receiver in the SEC going against NFL ready CBs. 146 - Andrew Datko OT - When healthy this is a kid can be a LT in the NFL, very good feet and pass protector.  Has had a history (although started every game as sophmore and junior) of shoulder injury.  Missed his senior year due to that injury.  If he's shoulder heals this could be highway robbery.  Very good OT. 218 - Tyler Nielsen OLB  - Very good in coverage, I always need to mock at least one Iowa player and Nielsen is this year's.  He can be used to cover TEs or RBs.  He's a blitzer not a pass rusher, needs to work on getting off blocks because he spent a ton of time in coverage not playing close to the LOS. Type of player coaches find hard to cut, can play STs.   UDFA Jonas Gray RB , this kid would had been a mid round selection but recovering from ACL.  Saw him doing some pass catching drills at Notre Dame's pro day so he seems to be recovering well. Only started for one year and needs to develop more but can be a very good power back.
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

lloka doesnt do well covering in zone. thats a concern

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : lloka doesnt do well covering in zone. thats a concern

I certainly think he needs to improve but has some zone cover skills.  he was used at Boise all over the place, man zone, at CB, both S spots covered TEs and RBs so he's got experience at a number of assignments maybe too many but also BB likes guys that have shown they can be versatile. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]ENOUGH ENOUGH ENOUGH IMPACT IMPACT IMPACT UP UP UP. With all the respect in the world to Mb, PatEng, Faucet, SeattlePat and the other PHD's here, I really don't want to hear about Harrison Smith or Kendal Reyes or any of those tier two guys again. Haven't we had enough of Brace, Butler and Cunningham? And we don't know if Chung can stay healthy or McCourtney bounceS back or if Dowling can stay on the field. Enough with the second tier JAGs. Word is that half the teams drafting in the top ten are looking to trade down. We have the ammunition with the four picks in the top two rounds plus either Hoyer or Mallet. Get us a couple of impact players. Would 27 and 48 and Hoyer get us Minny's or Tampa Bays high pick? Would 31 and 62 and a body or 2013 pick get the Pats up to the 9-14 range where they could get a Kuelchy or Brockers? IT IS TIME FOR IMPACT. How about Blackmon and Barron both? Or trade with Minn and another and come away with Richardson and Kuelchy. Or Claiborne and Brockers. WE DON'T NEED ANY MORE JAGs OR SECOND ROUND BUSTS. SCREW IT BILL, GO AGAINST THE EXPECTATIONS AND HISTORY - TRADE UP TWICE AND GET US TWO IMPACT STUDS.
    Posted by pumpsiefan[/QUOTE]

The problem pump is that we don't run the time, BB does. I'd love to trade up get get Brockers and an edge rusher (Perry, Branch, Upshaw) but I think we all realize that's not what BB does so for the most part we are looking at players in the 20+ range. That's typically the range BB will trade up into or stay put.

As for moving up to get Blackmon and Barron well that will never happen. Blackmon will most likely cost or entire draft to move up to a top 6 pick to get. Forget the value chart as with a rookie cap those top 10 picks are gold. I mean look what it cost for Was to move up from #6 to #2. We might be able to package a #27, #48, and #93 and maybe get in range for Barron and if you package #31, #63, and the 4th and that might get you somewhere in the 15-20 range but do you really what to use every pick on two players when it's pretty much a consensus that this is a weak draft up front and the depth of the quality talent is found in the 20-50 range 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : thanks for the laugh man! i served that one up didnt i?
    You certainly walked right into it, haha.  I'm sure you'll get me back.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ***2012 Patriots Draft Thread***! UPDATED W/ MOCK V3 4/12! : " Besides, I don't think Gilmore gets out of the low teens which means Kirkpatrick won't slip all the way to 27.  I say let's take the druggie with 5 kids from 4 women at 93 and see if he can get his act together.  " laughing my @ss off! if he fell that far, hell yeah. devin was served as toast all year. no way i put him at cb unless or until he proves to me at camp he can play like he did his first year. thats me and i hope bb feels the same. unless the goal is to lose.
    He was a Pro Bowler as a rookie.  Sophomore jinx!!  He'll be back.  But if Kirkpatrick is hanging around, I wouldn't mind taking him and seeing which of them can play CB.